Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: East Whyte Ave. Retail (past the tracks) | Discussion

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default East Whyte Ave. Retail (past the tracks) | Discussion

A nice writeup of a section of Whyte Ave that needs more bodies on the street.

EDMONTON — Sure, Whyte Avenue is top-of-mind when it comes to street shopping in Edmonton.
    But for most people, Whyte Avenue ends at the train tracks at 103rd Street (on Gateway Boulevard), even though the street clearly continues right under them. Maybe it’s the big Mac’s store or the de facto homeless shelter that’s developed on the north-side bench by the train crossing that signals the end of desirability. Whatever it is, those tracks might as well run vertically for all the shoppers who cross them.
    “We’re not going to be able to (literally) push people over the tracks,” acknowledges Shirley Lowe, executive director of the Old Strathcona Business Association, which covers Whyte Avenue and environs as far east as 99th Street.
    “People are used to the centre and the west (of Whyte), but they don’t really see the east.”
    But lately it seems a growing number of businesses are overcoming that mental barrier, as rents get pricier on the western part of Whyte and available space becomes scarce. Coveted spots on west Whyte can go for $55 a square foot, while eastern space can be had for under $20, say shopkeepers.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

The problem of people stopping at 103 st has always been there. One big reason is you have a major road and then you have essentially 1 block of empty lots on both sides of the road. That is a very big visual barrier. Then add the train tracks and that barrier appears even bigger. If even one building were to be built between 102 and 103 st. that visual barrier would no longer be there.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

I have often wondered, why are there train tracks there? Just a dead-end / storage area, left over I'm guessing from when the trains went over the high level. I'm surprised the railway (is it CN?) doesn't sell this bit of land for somebody to do something with it.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Aren't the tracks on the HSR corridor? Maybe the Province has a hand in their preservation...

I'd rather C2E than work!

moahunter, trains still use the track; I was stopped by one backing up just yesterday.

As Edmcowboy11 pointed out, that void is a big problem, but it'll be solved when that condo goes in on the South side of Whyte (yeah, that was a joke). The parking lot of PadThai doesn't help it either, and that place is now closed (someone told me the building was going to come down, but I don't think that's reliable info). The buildings on East Whyte are smaller as well - nothing over 2 storeys that I can think of, and you have that horrible strip mall. I know that people on C2E are big fans of retail being right up to the sidewalk, and East Whyte is an example of why that is; the place looks a bit empty because of some of the parking lots.

Gord

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    moahunter, trains still use the track; I was stopped by one backing up just yesterday.
    I know they do, but why? Could they use somewhere else to do whatever they do? Its a dead end.

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

As Edmcowboy11 pointed out, that void is a big problem, but it'll be solved when that condo goes in on the South side of Whyte (yeah, that was a joke). The parking lot of PadThai doesn't help it either, and that place is now closed (someone told me the building was going to come down, but I don't think that's reliable info). The buildings on East Whyte are smaller as well - nothing over 2 storeys that I can think of, and you have that horrible strip mall. I know that people on C2E are big fans of retail being right up to the sidewalk, and East Whyte is an example of why that is; the place looks a bit empty because of some of the parking lots.

Gord
    Excellent summary; I'd also like to add the strip of land on the NW corner of the intersection (south of Iron Horse). That area is just awful. I also love the 15m trail with picnic benches.

I love the railway crossing itself, it adds character and is necessary to maintain the history of the caboose and stations themselves, but can't they close off the tracks over by Ironhorse or even further south? There's no businesses that utilize the tracks that far north. Pad Thai parking lot is definitely a sore spot, as is the lot north of Whyte between the Strat and the Mac's.

Whyte is all about density, and as soon as that density stops, so does the foot traffic. I'd love to see the strip grow all the way to 99st. I suppose if Empress spent some money and refaced that building and make that patio a stellar destination, it would do a lot to get people down that far.

There's also tons of awesome stuff north on 99st as well, and could see the strip eventually making a dogleg north and going right to 99st Diner and Culina.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I'm guessing that the rail tracks are still used by CP because they need to back up to change tracks.

Infilling that used Toyota car lot would help solve the visual barrier issue at Gateway Blvd.
    However, I think having just one chain restaurant (like an Earls or Cactus Club) or just one Starbucks/Second Cup would help attract more life to East Whyte.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

In Guantanamo (Banned)

I believe CPR uses the track across Whyte demostratively, to maintain the claim. It ends just a few feet north of the crossing; so I doubt it really could not be closed. But as a railway right of way there are issues of provincial and I believe even federal jurisdiction.

---

There has been an advertisement for some sort of apt/condo development across from Derks, on the SW corner at 102 street. I haven't seen any movement on it in months or even a year or more, but even if it goes ahead, I doubt it would eliminate the crossing. And the side to plug up the view is the north, the sunny side, since I'm pretty sure that's the hotter side of Whyte both east and west of the tracks.

abaka, that's the Fusion condo, and I think it's been around since 2007/2008. Unfortunately it's pretty unlikely that the condos will be built.

C2E SME

^which is unfortunate. It would have added some density to that area and could have removed the visual barrier.

Part of me wants East Whyte ave. to stay the same. It reminds me of the main core of Old Strathcona back in the mid to late 1980s before the bars and big chains moved in.

Before Whyte ave. became 'The Strip' or place to be it had all of these eccentric shops and cafés It was cool before being kewl.

Living in the southside, Whyte ave. was our little best kept secret. When Whyte became popular the little boutiques and cafes were priced out of the neighbourhood, say hello to Starbucks and Chapter's.

I love East Whyte ave. because it still has that mix of independent shoppes with a hint of grubbiness. But now the secret is out.

East Whyte will evolve over time as rents west of the tracks continue to increase. We have already seen new retailers open up along this stretch as foot traffic and overall desirability has improved. This area will evolve organically over time as a result of nearby redevelopment and densification.

^bingo. People will populate east whyte due to pricing and there are already some great places from 103 - 99.

Even a few years ago i would rarely walk east of the tracks but now quite often do the entire 99-109 strip.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Gord
    sorry Gord, which strip mall are you referring too; Whyte Mill Square?
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I love the railway crossing itself, it adds character and is necessary to maintain the history of the caboose and stations themselves, but can't they close off the tracks over by Ironhorse or even further south? There's no businesses that utilize the tracks that far north. Pad Thai parking lot is definitely a sore spot, as is the lot north of Whyte between the Strat and the Mac's.

Whyte is all about density, and as soon as that density stops, so does the foot traffic. I'd love to see the strip grow all the way to 99st. I suppose if Empress spent some money and refaced that building and make that patio a stellar destination, it would do a lot to get people down that far.
    The few times I've been to The Empress it seemed to be doing rather well and didn't look like it needed to pour a lot into renovations, but then again it's 'new' to me (in that I've been back 7 mos and kinda didn't know the bar was there beforehand).

Indeed, the building/parking lot that's presently occupied by the Thai place is unfortunate. After the visual disruption of train tracks, having a (relatively) large street-facing parking lot doesn't do much to encourage curious strollers to cross the tracks and keep exploring. Gladly this hasn't hindered new merchants from setting up shop on the 103-99st side. Come to think of it, seeing Whyte Ave. jump the tracks was another one of my personal "Edmonton has improved" happy return realizatons.
    Last edited by Dialog; 26-07-2010 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver View Post
    That's the one! The people hanging around outside H2O never look welcoming, and I've heard you can get various weapons in "Joy's Lucky 7 Food Store," though I've never been inside to verify it.

That's the one! The people hanging around outside H2O never look welcoming, and I've heard you can get various weapons in "Joy's Lucky 7 Food Store," though I've never been inside to verify it.
    H2O has never really had 'welcoming' clientele...

C2E Continued Contributor

That strip mall has to be one of the worst in Edmonton, if not Canada! I can't imagine who would lease the space next to H2O since Alternative Video moved to its new location (as Videodrome). It really is unpleasant to walk by H2O. Unfortunately, I don't see what can be done to change that mall.

That being said, I certainly agree that East Whyte is far more appealing today than it was even three years ago.
    Almost always open to debate...

Quote Originally Posted by davidnorwoodink View Post
    That being said, I certainly agree that East Whyte is far more appealing today than it was even three years ago.
    I think having Warp One near 99st helps. They are a draw for a lot of people and must encourage some reluctants to cross the tracks.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

1) yes, H20 has a sketchy clientele, but if that bar closes they will just move west
    2) yes, that convenience store does sell drug paraphenalia and "decorative" weapons (yet there was no newspaper article about it or even a mention in the one about the 118th ave one)
    3) that parking lot is worse than the Pad Thai one, in my opinion.
    4) rip out the tracks, put in a decorative crossing to preserve some historical significance and BUILD SOMETHING OVER THAT HORRIBLE PARKING LOT. Although I do realize that the AB Gov is holding that for the HSR so that's not going to happen.
    5) that park space north of Ironhorse is just as detrimental, if not more, than the tracks next to it since it is always home to the less fortunate sleeping on benches, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    H2O has never really had 'welcoming' clientele...
    When I used to run Blues on Whyte the customers I had banned from the Commercial (for all kinds of very good reasons) ended up there. Consequently I was not very welcome in that establishment at the time, which didn't bother me.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Walked Whyte Ave from 109 St to 99 St and back.

It's nice to see more people walking East Whyte than before, but hardly the same pedestrian traffic as across the tracks.

I hope the new Roots building helps bring people across Gateway Blvd, but something needs to replace that used Toyota lot across from it.

There are other barriers that keeps East Whyte from thriving...the used car lots, the auto shops, that half-empty strip mall with H2O lounge, the sketchy riff-raff loitering in front of that strip mall who hassle passersby, the dead Shell station, and the fire to Langano Skies building.

I would like to see more places on East Whyte actually stay open on Sundays, although that's likely a chicken-and-egg thing (needs more ped traffic to stay open, ped traffic stays away if nothing's open).

While I don't want to see East Whyte overrun with multinational chains, it would help seeing at least one Starbucks or Second Cup on it, and maybe a resto like Earls.

C2E SME

The tracks and the block between 103 and 102 is the biggest problem I think. The Roots building should help but what they need is two or three buildings on the north side of the ave in the section I mentioned.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

As recently as a year or two ago, CPR was running trains back and forth just across Whyte Avenue to assert its right of way.

Railway rights of way are, I believe, a federal matter -- or provincial, perhaps: at any rate, they're beyond municipal purview.

I don't think anything can be done by the city to plug the hole between 102 and 103 the way things stand.

PS. Oops, the same point has already been made above a few times. I've pretty well duplicated #4, #9, and #10. Sorry for the repetition.
    Last edited by alex69; 30-05-2011 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Added ps

^Which is so stupid. Those tracks should end at about 80ave and torn up (keep the crossing on the street, it adds character) so new development can go right up against the old stations.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I would prefer that the track be kept. Then expand the High Level Bridge streetcar to a mini-terminal at Whyte Ave.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    While I don't want to see East Whyte overrun with multinational chains, it would help seeing at least one Starbucks or Second Cup on it, and maybe a resto like Earls.
    Drop by Luzzara, just West of 100st for coffee. I don't drink the stuff, but people rave about the shop.

Earls was on Whyte where Humpty's is now.

Too bad you didn't walk Whyte yesterday - the "East Whyte block party" was on. Lots of businesses with specials, and they closed off 100st. Hardcore Bikes were doing some awesome demos, the roller-derby girls were there, and people were having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Drop by Luzzara, just West of 100st for coffee. I don't drink the stuff, but people rave about the shop.
    You miss my point...which is to draw the sheeple across the tracks by using some name recognition.

That was on the other side of the Mill Creek bridge...not really what's considered part of the East Whyte strip, which ends at 99 St.

Too bad you didn't walk Whyte yesterday - the "East Whyte block party" was on. Lots of businesses with specials, and they closed off 100st. Hardcore Bikes were doing some awesome demos, the roller-derby girls were there, and people were having fun.
    Didn't know about it until I read about it on CHED's website after the fact. More of this city's masterful strokes of marketing brilliance.

No, it wasn't/isn't on the other side of the bridge - it's West of the bridge, not on the East side of it. While it's not "East Whyte," the point I was making was that Earl's has tried Whyte and moved from there.

^ That Earls location failed because it was too far away from Whyte's main commercial strip. If they were located closer to Gateway Blvd or Calgary Tr then they would still be around today.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 30-05-2011 at 09:49 AM.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

^That Earl's location WAS the original Earl's.

Store #1, which was once "Fuller's Restaurant".

I don't think "failure" is a good word to describe its closing -- around 1991, I think?. I remember going there literally a few weeks before it closed, during off-hours on a weekday, and they weren't even empty. But they were heavily into expansion mode at that point, and I suppose they wanted to concentrate on their higher-margin locations.

Unfortunately (but maybe not surprisingly, given our climate) it looks like the scooter store that surrounded Luzzara is closed now.

I don't consider that site part of the Whyte Ave. scene. It gets maybe 5% of the pedestrian traffic that the main blocks do. If you're out shopping on the main part of the retail strip you would hardly decide to walk to that location for a lunch...I bet it would be easily 30 minutes by foot.

I saw some activities going on on 100th St. south of Whyte but had no idea what it was. I live in the neighbourhood and didn't see any advance notice anywhere. It was a really nice day to be out though. Hit up the Vietnamese sub place for lunch.

Ah, it's too bad you didn't stop by. I think all/most of the marketing for the block party was done online (twitter/Facebook). It's the first time they've had it, so hopefully they'll learn a few things and promote it better, and in different ways, next time.

Yes, Top Gear is officially closed now.

Ah, it's too bad you didn't stop by. I think all/most of the marketing for the block party was done online (twitter/Facebook). It's the first time they've had it, so hopefully they'll learn a few things and promote it better, and in different ways, next time.

Yes, Top Gear is officially closed now.
    Who do I need to follow on twitter or Friend on Facebook? Is there some group I should join if I want to hear about community events? (Serious question.)

I'd suggest the Old Strathcona Business Association (@oldstrathcona) to start with. The Edmontonian (@TheEdmontonian or http://theedmontonian.com) also has round-ups of interesting things in the city (and Jeff is the president of the Strathcona Community League - @StrathconaCL). The community league also runs a "social" mailing list that will send out emails about interesting things in the neighbourhood.

Hope that helps!

Great news - Langano Skies is reopening at end of the month

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...785/story.html

EDMONTON — Langano Skies Ethiopian restaurant plans to reopen at the end of August after the owners spent four months repairing fire damage.

The restaurant, located on Whyte Avenue near 99th Street, was damaged by a fire that started in the nail salon next door, said manager Elizabeth Schellenberg.

I'm assuming that's the one that has all the scaffolding up outside and was being completely gutted? If so, I was hoping for a full exterior reno as well...

^ Building next to the Empress pub. It was damaged by fire earlier this year.

I still see a vast separation of pedestrian activity between Whyte Ave west of Gateway and east of Gateway. The Roots building has helped a bit, but east of Gateway is still a pedestrian dead zone.

Getting better though, but needs more reasons to head east.
    www.decl.org

The Great Wall of Toyota (or used cars now) needs to go. That creates such a massive dead space.

I'd like to see Whyte Mill Square and the 2 buildings next to it go as well. Then we could maybe start seeing a little more pedestrian activity in the area.

The best plan for the city would be to:

1) Put an at grade Tram rail system (one car street car like in Toronto that stops at intersections) down Whyte Ave, from Bonnie Doons Mall to the U of A Hub.

2) Then where the Tracks are they should consider putting an LRT (above ground at the laydown yard then underground under Whyte Ave, follow the old line under Calgary Trail and Gateway but turn at Duggar Bridge), between the towers at Duggar Bridge, go over the Walterdale bridge hill and have a stop at Kinsmen. Then across the river go East of the Legislature grounds and turn to go up Capital Boulevard and connect with the LRT going toward the West End.

3) Then turn Capital Boulevard into an LRT/Bus/Pedestrian Corridor.

That would build an LRT system ready for the HSR and/or an Airport link all from the lands just south of MKT. The LRT to the downtown would cross almost no major roads and can continue on eventually to the South Common.
    Last edited by DevelopmentallyDelayedEDM; 03-04-2016 at 01:25 PM.

The Great Wall of Toyota (or used cars now) needs to go. That creates such a massive dead space.
    I completed agree, What would be very smart would be to make the toyota and the next parking lot a continuous park for walking/biking from the toyota used car lot all the way up to Sask Drive. Then using a retaining wall, extent the size of the trail system atop the hill so the bike/pedestrian trail would continue to the high level bridge and across.

Quote Originally Posted by DevelopmentallyDelayedEDM View Post
    The best plan for the city would be to:

1) Put an at grade Tram rail system down Whyte Ave, from Bonnie Doons Mall to the U of A Hub.

2) Then where the Tracks are they should consider putting an LRT (above ground at the laydown yard then underground under Whyte Ave, follow the old line under Calgary Trail and Gateway but turn at Duggar Bridge), between the towers at Duggar Bridge, go over the Walterdale bridge hill and have a stop at Kinsmen. Then across the river go East of the Legislature grounds and turn to go up Capital Boulevard and connect with the LRT going toward the West End.

3) Then turn Capital Boulevard into an LRT/Bus/Pedestrian Corridor.

That would build an LRT system ready for the HSR and/or an Airport link all from the lands just south of MKT. The LRT to the downtown would cross almost no major roads and can continue on eventually to the South Common
    1) buses do that now. If there are not enough add more frequency or bigger or double deck buses.
    2) 3) sketch that out if you can so we can see it

I'm sorry but I don't really understand what all these expensive grandiose mass transit plans have anything to do with bringing pedestrian activity to Whyte Ave east of Gateway. All that belongs in the Mass Transit forum anyway.

How about some more realistic and near-future ideas for now?
    - Midrise and highrise residential. Not necessarily on Whyte itself but nearby
    - Develop SUN Toyota used car lot next to former CP Rail track
    - Repurpose or redevelop SUN Toyota dealership building
    - More foodie destinations. We've seen what Duchess has done for 124 St
    - A couple of mid-casual chain restaurants (Cactus Club type place) and chain cafes (Starbucks, Second Cup) wouldn't hurt
    - Theatre and music venues
    - Knock down and redevelop Mill Square strip mall (the one with H2O) as per Zap's suggestion
    - 81 Ave badly needs some work, looks like downtown Busby

The development of the rail yard is the biggest obstacle right now to development, but I am encouraged by the new apartment developments that have been completed or are in progress south of whyte between 103 street and 100 street and about 79 avenue.

Personally I think East Whyte will receive more action along 81 ave (as we have seen 3 new buildings from 102-101 street lately), and that Whyte Avenue itself will take more time as whole buildings are demo'd/change hands/developed. Peli at Scona and Fuzion have gone up giving 81 ave retail units and residents. The OSBA said they're still trying to get funds to implement the "Old Ritchie" streetscaping along 81 avenue, and 81 avenue streetscaping from Gateway to 105 street, but of course there is no money for a few years yet.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

I really want to know the story behind the empty lot on the South side of Whyte ave, just West of 99 st beside the CIBC. That's been empty as long as I can remember, and it seems so odd to have a lot that's been empty for so long on a busy road like Whyte. Anyone know what's been there in the past?

Address is 9913 - 82 AVENUE NW
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

It's back to being a completely empty building; the used car place moved out recently. Hopefully that's a good sign that something will happen with it.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

I really want to know the story behind the empty lot on the South side of Whyte ave, just West of 99 st beside the CIBC. That's been empty as long as I can remember, and it seems so odd to have a lot that's been empty for so long on a busy road like Whyte. Anyone know what's been there in the past?

Address is 9913 - 82 AVENUE NW
    Also on this same note, how long has the plot of land directly south of here been fenced off? Would love to see it used along with the "overflow parking" that currently take up the space.

You mean the lot at 99st and 81 ave? There was a house that was knocked down there a few (3-4) years ago, and something was planned for the location, but no work was ever done on the property after the house was knocked down.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Yeah, it was quite comical.

The rubble from the basement foundation laid there for three years.

Slightly off topic, but coming home from work today I saw a few suits checking out the skeleton of Retro On Whyte (9660 82 avenue). Really hopeful the owner makes a deal happen, that really shouldn't be such a derelict property given its location.

Does anyone have any info on 8307 99 Street? I believe it sold within the last year, but I have no idea what the plans are for it. It looks uninhabited, and I think it used to house DV8 in its former incarnation? I'd love to see another 4 storey walkup with a commercial base floor.

Reference ID: Job No 183899765-001
    Description: To demolish an existing building.
    Plan I8 Blk 75 Lots 1-2
    Applicant: 837023 ALBERTA LTD
    Create Date: 12/3/2015 3:47:59 PM
    Neighbourhood: STRATHCONA

There you go - looks like it's coming down. Now, it doesn't appear to have been sold, as that numbered company has a connection to New Asian Village, which makes sense as I've heard the owner of NAV has owned that building for awhile now.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

If it's the building I'm thinking it is, that place has been a home to some of the areas finest crackheads for a while now. Can't go soon enough.

It's not that bad. Unless they are very good at hiding the fact.

That's my old block (same side, a little further down). Interesting. I wonder what will be built in its place?
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    If it's the building I'm thinking it is, that place has been a home to some of the areas finest crackheads for a while now. Can't go soon enough.
    Yeah, Top_Dawg is sure it's the same building you are thinking of.

Top_Dawg figgers the apartments are all vacant now.

When they were being rented out there was always furniture and mattresses laying abandoned in either the parking lot to the north or to the south.

Would suggest to Top_Dawg that they had and probly still have a bedbug problem from hell up there.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Oh, it was that bad. Owned a unit in the lofts next door to it for a few years. Fights, broken windows, doors hanging off the hinges, etc. A dump full of crackheads is exactly what it was. Can't wait to see it disappear.

I asked someone in the community, and he said he thinks the plan was to rezone it to have a 4-6 storey building with commercial on the main floor and apartments above.

I drove by this morning and yes, there's a sold sign on it.

Apparently in the 70s the building housed one of the best knitting stores in the city.

A little further east, the Whyte and 96st corner is really on the upswing. And I find myself using the shops and services provided east Whyte and Rue Marie AG more and more.

What makes you say that, ajs? The new wine store (well, not so new anymore) is a welcome addition, but the Unheardof being replaced by a law firm is a bit of a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Oh, it was that bad. Owned a unit in the lofts next door to it for a few years. Fights, broken windows, doors hanging off the hinges, etc. A dump full of crackheads is exactly what it was. Can't wait to see it disappear.
    Yeah, now I sympathize - I only lived across the street, and i think DV8 kept them more under control. As far as a district goes, unity and continuity is key. People won't mind walking the whole stretch from 109 street to 99 street if they feel safe, and visually interested.

Reference ID: Job No 183899765-001
    Description: To demolish an existing building.
    Plan I8 Blk 75 Lots 1-2
    Applicant: 837023 ALBERTA LTD
    Create Date: 12/3/2015 3:47:59 PM
    Neighbourhood: STRATHCONA

There you go - looks like it's coming down. Now, it doesn't appear to have been sold, as that numbered company has a connection to New Asian Village, which makes sense as I've heard the owner of NAV has owned that building for awhile now.
    Photo of the building (taken today):

Wasn't there a pawn shop on the left side of that building 4 or 5 years ago? I think I bought some great used vinyl there... mint Toto IV for $2.00 comes to mind. What a steal!

Yup, that's moved to Whyte and 100 st (on the corner).

C2E SME

Well if its getting torn down that will probably be ok considering from what I remember there was evidence that the foundation had some problems. Probably way easier and cheaper to start from scratch.

Pretty bad shape is my guess... rebuild with an additional storey.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Pretty bad shape is my guess... rebuild with an additional storey.
    Word from someone on the community league is 4-6 stories, with ground level retail, and the rest apartments.

C2E Posting Power

So they already have something ready to go for the site?

Not 100% sure. I can try digging into it a bit more.

C2E SME

Would be really nice to see some good retail there.

Any word on when this is coming down? It's more boarded up than the last time I went by it, so I'd guess it's happening soon.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I wonder the same thing when I drive by it every day, only permit I could find is:

Minor Development Permit
    Job No 183899765-001: To demolish an existing building.
    8301 - 99 STREET NW Plan I8 Blk 75 Lots 1-2
    837023 ALBERTA LTD
    STRATHCONA

I managed to track down the owner of the building and put him in touch with people at the community league. Hopefully we see something that works for the developer, and the community. They're still at the planning stage, so there isn't much to discuss at this point.

That building on 83rd ave and 99 street is being torn down now. Lane closures on 99 street and some heavy equipment is beginning to tear into it. I'm looking forward to a fresh start for that lot.

Saw them unloading the equipment this morning. Awesome news for a beautiful neighbourhood. That property has been a blight for years.

That building is at the end of our old block! It will definitely be very good for the neighbourhood to have it gone (do you know it was originally supposed to have a Middle Eastern restaurant in it?).
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    I wonder the same thing when I drive by it every day, only permit I could find is:

Minor Development Permit
    837023 ALBERTA LTD
    STRATHCONA
    Good to see. Great opportunity for a 2-3 storey with retail and apartment above.
    www.decl.org

Yes, Ian, it would be, but that's not what's happening. No retail, and I believe it'll be 5-6 storeys (condos).

Quote Originally Posted by Zap View Post
    Any word on when this is coming down? It's more boarded up than the last time I went by it, so I'd guess it's happening soon.

And it's down.

Top_Dawg noticed it's now a big pile of rubble on his drive by at lunchtime.

I just got a notice in the mail today from the architecture firm behind a proposed development for 9660 82 Avenue. Still going for 4 stories, 24 units (16 2 bedroom), underground parkade and re-landscaping 97 street with more trees. The developer is Grizzly Homes, haven't seen any of their projects but I'm looking forward to see what the new plans look like.

C2E Continued Contributor

It was good to see it come down - an incredible eyesore.
    Almost always open to debate...

Yeah, Top_Dawg can't find the correct thread, but on Sunday they also demolished that church on 105 street and 81 avenue, just north of the Strathcona Keg.

Top_Dawg staggered out of Rosie's Bar after the Green Bay / Dallas game and the church was all rubble. The backhoe operator was right then busting up all the trees.

^Mezzo.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Yeah, Top_Dawg can't find the correct thread, but on Sunday they also demolished that church on 105 street and 81 avenue, just north of the Strathcona Keg.

Top_Dawg staggered out of Rosie's Bar after the Green Bay / Dallas game and the church was all rubble. The backhoe operator was right then busting up all the trees.
    The Presbyterian church? Too bad, I always liked that one. What's going in instead?

Refer to the 'Mezzo' thread please and thank you.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by WhyteAveCam View Post
    I just got a notice in the mail today from the architecture firm behind a proposed development for 9660 82 Avenue. Still going for 4 stories, 24 units (16 2 bedroom), underground parkade and re-landscaping 97 street with more trees. The developer is Grizzly Homes, haven't seen any of their projects but I'm looking forward to see what the new plans look like.
    They've done a few houses in the area North of Whyte Ave, East of 99 st. Actually, I think I posted photos in one of the threads here... so I'll see if I can dig them up. They aren't horrible, but aren't wonderful, either. This is definitely a departure from their previous projects.

Refer to the 'Mezzo' thread please and thank you.
    Thanks.

First One is Always Free

Though technically not retail, Sugar Swing Ballroom moved from the Old Presbyterian Church that was torn down on 105th St to a new building located at 10019 80 Ave. Renovations to the space are ongoing but the place is open for social dances on Friday and Saturday nights, lessons throughout the week (swing, solo jazz, tap dancing), and short and long term rentals. When finished in February, it will have two sprung hardwood dance floors along with other amenities.

Disclosure: I help to organize their dances. I hope this post doesn't come across as solicitation.

Renovations are happening to a space a few doors West of Sugar Swing. Not sure what is going in there but it looks like it might be a nice restaurant.

I got a couple of renders from the architect behind the proposed development at 9660 82 Avenue, must say it would be a huge improvement over what is there now.

http://imgur.com/a/3IXc0

http://imgur.com/a/8Ymny

Waaaaay nicer than what's there!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post

Minor Development Permit
    837023 ALBERTA LTD
    STRATHCONA
    Good to see. Great opportunity for a 2-3 storey with retail and apartment above.
    So, little update on this. The building should be going to community for feedback sometime in Feb. Still no plans for retail, however that could change. Basically the issue is parking, as the building will have underground, secured parking, and no spots for retailers. I've told the developer that the community would support a restaurant/cafe, especially after loosing Culina, and he said he's open to it if someone steps forward, but once again, parking is the issue. I think there would be ways around it, such as parking on 99 st in off-rush hours (as they already have on the West side of the street between 86 and 87 Ave, and already have on Sundays for the church).

So, anyone know of a business that would fit a walkable neighborhood and want space in a new condo building along a bike route?

Gord, is it possible for you/the league to contact Henderson about a parking variance prior to this stuff going ahead?

Yup, an email was sent out earlier today (not by me), to Ben Henderson and some others in the community to try to remove barriers for retail going in here, and also to possibly find a suitable tenant.

The builder doesn't seem to be making excuses, but I can see why it's much easier for someone to just toss up a condo without any retail. Lots of headaches can be involved in doing retail, and if your main focus in the bottom line, it makes more sense to sell the ground floor as units and get your money, then move on.

If not this case, but maybe down the line it'll pay off. Would be great for community diversity and walkability for some commercial components to 99st. Be even better further south, however too. Big changes for you, Gord, in the coming years to your ave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast