Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: East Whyte Ave. Retail (past the tracks) | Discussion

You are invited to a public open house to discuss a proposed rezoning in Strathcona at 8301 - 99 Street NW.

Date: Thursday, February 23, 2017
    Time: 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. (Drop-in, no scheduled presentation)

The proposed rezoning would accommodate a medium density apartment housing building. The proposed change in zoning is from (DC2) Site Specific Development Control Provision to a new (DC2) Site Specific Development Control Provision at 8301 - 99 Street NW. The proposal includes:

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Needs some work but not a horrible starting point.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Is the architect color-blind?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

I like it. Some of that will depend on finish materials. Bright green EIFS stucco might not look so great.

Nice to see some different infill height and shape.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Thankfully we sold the unit next door a few years ago before any of this happened. I wouldn't want neighbours with that view of my rooftop patio.

https://twitter.com/CityofEdmonton/s...70564010086402

March 7, 2017
    ADDITIONAL ITEMS (Closed to the Public)
    Work Plan Review
    PRE-CONSULTATION PRESENTATION (Closed to the Public)

1538 Mill Creek Condo
    Newstudio Architecture Inc. - Carolyn Keeley
    8301 - 99 Street NW
    Site legally described:
    Lots 1 & 2, Block 75, Plan I8

I wish they had ground floor retail, lost opportunity. Otherwise not too bad. Given that Newstudio is designing it gives me some hope that it will turn out ok.

Chris, I had a conversation with the owners, and they looked into having retail, but were faced with a few problems.

One floor for parking, all for the unit owners. Two visitor parking and one handicap spot outside.
    Retail needs parking, or a relaxation. If relaxation granted, need to find tenants that don't need/want parking for their customers.
    Loading zone needed for commercial spaces.
    There was a thought that they could add some height as a tradeoff for retail, but that would mean second floor for parkade, plus a change in materials (wood to steel/concrete) which adds to their costs. Sounds like they'd have to be at 10-12 stories to recoup that.
    If a retailer that handle food comes in, venting could be an issue, as they could only vent towards the alley.

It sounds like they explored retail early on, then wrote it off due to parking issues. When they started hearing from the community that retail would be appreciated they were already too far into the process and changes would result in a delay as things get reworked.

It's disappointing, but given the parking required, and the complete lack of parking in the neighbour hood, I can understand why they don't have it. Pretty frustrating.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Bring on better transit on Whyte and 99st/to Downtown and better zoning rules around parking. Knew that would be a factor. How do you feel Gord/your neighbours about if another location this size was allowed retail, with little on-site parking, in the area?
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Well, I can't say anything for the neighbours, but I'd be okay with it, but only because I'd like more retail around here. I can see why parking is such an issue, though. You'd really need to find the right business to go into a building with little parking, as parking in the neighbourhood is tight as it is. We had friends over last night and they parked about a block away; 30 mins later and there was lots of parking on the street, and an hour after that there wasn't anything at all (we ran out to pick up food). It's really weird.

I think that something needs to get fixed if one of the most walkable neighbourhoods in the city, with people who support local, one-off businesses, can't get retail in a 6 storey building. The parking mindset is so difficult to change in the city.

As for the building itself, I like it... minus the weird neon yellow/green. I hope they change that.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

^We've done away with parking in some of our buildings - Crawford Block. We've also proposed shared parking between visitor and commercial parking stalls - St. Claire in Forest Heights. Its doable and City administration is usually ok with granting a variance for no parking along 'Transit Avenues', which I believe 99 Street is.

Yup, Crawford Block was brought up. There's lots of nearby parking though, including a pretty massive parking lot kitty-corner to your building. This, however, wouldn't have any parking at all nearby. I guess they just aren't willing to delay construction to change plans and pursue retail space this late in the game.

They also seemed extremely unconnected/educated with other buildings going up in the area, and the general mood of council towards the parking issue. They went in thinking that rules were set in stone, and made their plans based on that.

I look forward to this area developing a lot- I lived just behind the H20/Joy's Lucky 7 building for years, and I NEVER traveled east of where I lived. The problem is, that whole area developed a reputation for having the "bad homeless people"- the more normal ones could be found west, but as soon as you hit the tracks (or, more accurately, THAT FREAKING WASHROOM, which almost immediately became a snake pit that no normal person would DREAM of entering), it was like the screamers and the jittery ones and the fighters all came out of the woodwork. The dreaded "cement seating place" just in front of the H20 lounge was the worst- I've talked to cops who've actually petitioned the city to demolish just that wall, because of how it was congregating people.

There are a few neat shops down that way (Warp One; the Board Game place), but still not quite enough to get off that particular reputation. The Sun Toyota building is also legendary for the sketchy types hanging around it- the huge awning, ample shade & hiding places, and the fact that it's also a bus station really adds up.

What's funny is that some of the nicest places in the entire neighborhood are the condos hidden away a few blocks south of that area.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 05-04-2017 at 12:54 AM.

Yeah, Top_Dawg hears ya jabroni.

It's exactly like you say.

And in another month the Mac's store will also become a big magnet for them for the rest of the summer.

They panhandle there cause it's right next to Liquor Depot.

Also, a lot of punks shoplift at that Liquor Depot because there's so many escape routes into Ritchie where they can get lost.

I've used the washroom and haven't had any issues, but that was a while back.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I've used the washroom and haven't had any issues, but that was a while back.
    I walked in there once to dispose of a used needle I found on the ground in front of my apartment, and you wouldn't believe the smell. It was only the middle of the day, and of course there was a guy sleeping in there. At all hours of the day you'll see sketchy types hanging around the place (and the bus stop right nearby)- it's become the major thoroughfare for them in the Strathcona area. I don't think I've ever seen a normal person using the thing.

The police I've talked to say they're CONSTANTLY getting people with warrants out of there, but as it's such a minor penalty (maybe a night in jail for dozens of tickets), they just come right back. It's just horrendous.

Do not touch used needles. The proper procedure is to call the fire department, as they can properly dispose of them (yup, fire department).

I used the bathroom once, but that was in the first week it was open.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Do not touch used needles. The proper procedure is to call the fire department, as they can properly dispose of them (yup, fire department).
    Living in McCauley, I come across used syringes on a regular basis and feel quite comfortable disposing of them myself.

First step is to inspect the discarded needle to see if the tip has its plastic cover on it or not. If the plastic cover is not on, take extra care to make sure you don't touch the exposed needle. Put on a pair of good work gloves, pick it up by the plastic cylindrical tube, and place into a sealed container like a used bleach bottle with a cap. Used syringes in sealed containers can be taken to an Eco-Centre.

The City of Edmonton has published a detailed guide to how to safely dispose of needles.

Link: https://www.edmonton.ca/programs_ser...Kit2012_v2.pdf

Yeah, I just kicked it into a box I had, while wearing gloves just in case, then dumped it into their "Sharps Disposal" thing. Had the stupid thing in my apartment for months because I kept forgetting to take it out.

So, the big pile of dirt at the old Shell location on Whyte is apparently a big problem. I had called the city about it a year ago, and someone got back to me twice in a couple of weeks. He was very active on the file, and then I didn't hear anything about it. I was talking about it with some neighbours last week and decided to follow up with the person I spoke to last year. He couldn't tell me much about it, but apparently the property owner was hostile towards the city, and it went to court (sounds like there's something else coming up, but I could be wrong). Anyway, the other day there was some more movement on the site; they were taking dirt away. Pretty crazy.

Driving by today I noticed that 3 properties have been demolished on 99 street and 80 avenue, looks like another multi family project going in there. Also on the corner of 99 street and 80 ave a single house was demolished as well, with an adjacent property for sale as well. Anyone have any word on what's slated for this stretch?

Using Maps.edmonton.ca, and looking at the applications, it looks like it's Brass III that's going in at 99 st and 80 Ave. That's a VERY handy site when you want to look up information on a property, and applications that have been made for it.

Came home from vacation today to see that the abandoned apartment building at 9662 82 ave has finally been demolished, down to the foundation so far. The renders look promising, even though there is no retail component.

Yeah, the east Whyte crackhead contingent scattered in every direction like rats when the backhoe started tearing it down.

236455019-009
    31-Jan-2018
    9662 - 82 AVENUE NW
    Plan 4575S Blk 16 Lots 1-3

To construct a 24 Dwelling Apartment House with underground parkade.

GRIZZLY HOMES

272309643-003
    01-Feb-2018
    9560 - 82 AVENUE NW
    Plan 4575S Blk 15 Lots 1-2

To change the use of a portion of an existing health service to restaurant (Group D to A2) and construct interior alterations (expanding existing adjacent Restaurant's kitchen space) - Mill Creek Cafe.

1076279 ALBERTA LTD O/A MILL CREEK CAFE

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Anyone know whats going on with that medical building they were suppose to build in that ugly looking empty lot by 99th? Completion was suppose to be for end of 2017 first quarter of 2018. But nothing but bleakness there so far.

Well, I know that it had a giant pile of dirt on it, and the city had some problems with the owner of the lot over the dirt. I believe it went to court, at least that was the direction it was going when I spoke to someone at the city about the dirt pile. I'm guessing someone could pull the title and then search court records for the name of the company that owns it and find out what happened with it.

Oh, wait... do you mean the empty lot that used to be the Shell station (100 st), or the empty lot that's on 99 st, just south of Whyte Ave? I'm guessing the Shell lot, which is where the pile of dirt was.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Well, I know that it had a giant pile of dirt on it, and the city had some problems with the owner of the lot over the dirt. I believe it went to court, at least that was the direction it was going when I spoke to someone at the city about the dirt pile. I'm guessing someone could pull the title and then search court records for the name of the company that owns it and find out what happened with it.

Oh, wait... do you mean the empty lot that used to be the Shell station (100 st), or the empty lot that's on 99 st, just south of Whyte Ave? I'm guessing the Shell lot, which is where the pile of dirt was.
    Thanks Gord yeah the old shell lot, I live next to it is why i'm anxious to see it developed. Hopefully it doesn't stay long in court limbo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12