Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Churchill Square - alive

And goodness help you if you happen to be allergic to smoking. A perfect stranger can basically control your life.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by lat View Post
    Pointing fingers at other unhealthy behaviours doesn't make smoking any less unhealthy.

Since a non-smoker, kid or otherwise, didn't choose to inhale smoke, any amount is too much. Cigarette smoke is a known carcinogen. If you want to inhale it in places where it has no effect on anyone else, fill your boots. But, you have no right to pollute the air that another person is trying to breathe. Just because that air may have other pollutants in it, doesn't mean it's open season on adding more.
    Again Wheres the citation that secondhand outdoor cigarette smoke is causing cancer in others.

Oh wait, a ridiculous unsubstantiated assertion. What is your real reason for defending this obtuse legistation.

Or anybody.

This is simply about control by those that look down on others behaviors for whatever reason and seek to police it.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    And goodness help you if you happen to be allergic to smoking. A perfect stranger can basically control your life.
    I am allergic to cigarette smoke and always have been. With this being hilited and supported in multiple allergy tests since I was young. I am also asthmatic.

As such I would have to try hard to find any reaction to somebody that had smoked a cigarette outdoors. I would have to verge on hypochondriasis to do so.

I'm a lifelong non smoker that has been profoundly impacted by chain smoker parents. one would think I have that horse in the race. I don't. I don't want, or favor others behavior being legislated in this way.

Outdoor second hand smoke is no bystander health hazard issue whatsoever.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-03-2015 at 01:58 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

So is there going to be designated smoking areas on the Square like there will be drinking? Will it be age regulated? Or can I simply smoke my pipe in excess on the fringes of the square polluting bystanders like I was drinking excessively an alcoholic beverage? These are interesting times. And let's not get into e-cigarettes...

I don't know how banning smoking from the Square will end smoking. If anything it might just lead to more tickets for those worst off in the area.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Just can't decide on this one.

Am an ex (though I made myself promise NOT to be an annoying, preachy reformed) smoker, so guess I should be in favour.

Certainly, for anyone trying to quit the habit, the less they see others smoking the easier the painful task.

Yet, it's a bit of a slippery slope along the way to nanny-statism.

And yes I know we already regulate where people can and cannot drink alcohol, legislate that they must wear seat belts, etc, etc.

But, ack, just dunno. I mean, the square is named after a guy who chain smoked stogies and gulped down scotch ...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=20
    ... gobsmacked

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    AFAIK, nitrates etc. in cold cuts don't waft around to harm anyone else but the person consuming them.
    Second hand smoke in open air is not a valid health concern in any way, shape or form. For second hand smoke inhalation to be a true health concern, it has to be sustained over years in a poorly ventilated environment. The arguments for banning smoking in public outdoor spaces basically boil down to morality, not much more.

Ugh, I'm agreeing with Replacement. I feel shame.

(kidding, mostly!)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee
    I'm extremely allergic to cows, horses, and some breeds of dog (yes, even if I'm outdoors I start to have a reaction if near a horse/cow or even their manure). I want them banned from public immediately. That's pretty reasonable, is it not?

^^ the most famous photo ever taken of Churchill was taken immediately after the photographer Yousuf Karsh had just grabbed his cigar and crushed it in an ashtray (against Churchill's wishes):

It was featured repeatedly on the cover of Life magazine and some have called it "the portrait that won the war".

This is what controlling smoking can do for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

I'm extremely allergic to cows, horses, and some breeds of dog (yes, even if I'm outdoors I start to have a reaction if near a horse/cow or even their manure). I want them banned from public immediately. That's pretty reasonable, is it not?
    I guess we should just allow smoking in restaurants again because there's enough air to disperse it immediately there too. Just as "reasonable".

Give your head a shake. Open air doesn't mean the smoke disappears instantaneously.

We should be doing everything we can, in a modern society with socialized, universal health care to make smoking as difficult, expensive & inconvenient as possible. This is a product that kills 2/3 of its users.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/...-of-its-users/

The quicker we can move to no-smoking bans like many areas in California, the better.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E SME

I guess we should just allow smoking in restaurants again because there's enough air to disperse it immediately there too. Just as "reasonable".

Give your head a shake. Open air doesn't mean the smoke disappears instantaneously.
    The health effects of smoking in enclosed spaces is well documented and obvious. Please provide citation for your claim that second hand smoke is a significant health concern outdoors. I'll wait.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    AFAIK, nitrates etc. in cold cuts don't waft around to harm anyone else but the person consuming them.
    Second hand smoke in open air is not a valid health concern in any way, shape or form. For second hand smoke inhalation to be a true health concern, it has to be sustained over years in a poorly ventilated environment. The arguments for banning smoking in public outdoor spaces basically boil down to morality, not much more.

Ugh, I'm agreeing with Replacement. I feel shame.

(kidding, mostly!)

Well these are indeed scary times. What kind of second hand smoke is that wafting in the air? haha

But yeah, jk aside not one person of course explaining how secondary smoke in the great outdoors should be a concern for anybody. Beyond that of wanting to control others behavior that is.

Oh look theres a couple kissing, the kids will see. Theres someone doing something, Theres someone holding hands, who let this riff raff into the square..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8urkDqSoc54
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-03-2015 at 04:01 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

^^ the most famous photo ever taken of Churchill was taken immediately after the photographer Yousuf Karsh had just grabbed his cigar and crushed it in an ashtray (against Churchill's wishes)...
    LOL, I appreciate your passion for this JB (which just happens to be the name of a somewhat passable scotch) - but I still honestly can't land on this one way or another!

Still, photographing Churchill w/o a tumbler of scotch in one hand and a half smoked stogie in the other is, well, historical revisionism gone amok!
    ... gobsmacked

Actually in appreciable parts per million it does. It means almost exactly that. unless one is practically frenching the exhaling smoker or leaning in for a closer inquisition.

Again, and you hadn't responded but the amount of times I've suffered effects, as someone who is both allergic to cigarette smoke, and who is also asthmatic is zero when the act is occurring in the great outdoors. It is no effect. Cite one citation anywhere proving any second hand effect. Still waiting.

Anybody?

As opposed to perfect strangers basically controlling smokers lives.
    Really, how many people are actually allergic to smoke?. Do you really think a cigarette in a wide open place is dangerous. Jeez, what a bunch of friggin wimps.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

^^ the most famous photo ever taken of Churchill was taken immediately after the photographer Yousuf Karsh had just grabbed his cigar and crushed it in an ashtray (against Churchill's wishes):

It was featured repeatedly on the cover of Life magazine and some have called it "the portrait that won the war".

Churchill should have punched the photographer in the face.

The health effects of smoking in enclosed spaces is well documented and obvious. Please provide citation for your claim that second hand smoke is a significant health concern outdoors. I'll wait.
    Standing one cubic metre of air away from a smoker.

What difference do you seriously think it makes?

We've banned it in Commonwealth Stadium for exactly the same reasons, and they're perfectly valid.

^For the fraidy cats, coming to a store near you.

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/featur...ng-a-gas-mask/

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Really, how many people are actually allergic to smoke?. Do you really think a cigarette in a wide open place is dangerous. Jeez, what a bunch of friggin wimps.
    Sometimes "freedoms" are incompatible. This is one of those times. We can't always have both in the same place.

Freedom to good health versus freedom to degrade air quality. Which one do we pick in a place of frequently large crowds?

Don't you find it hysterical that the legendary scowl is actually not for staring down fascism but for a nic-fit?

That photo inspired millions.

Sometimes "freedoms" are incompatible. This is one of those times. We can't always have both in the same place.

Freedom to good health versus freedom to degrade air quality. Which one do we pick in a place of frequently large crowds?
    C'mon. Provide the data where outdoor cigarette smoking has lasting effects on anything or anybody. The fireworks probably give of pollution than anyone smoking in the area. What they going to ban next in the square, kids screaming while they play. That's very bad for eardrums.

Standing one cubic metre of air away from a smoker.

What difference do you seriously think it makes?

We've banned it in Commonwealth Stadium for exactly the same reasons, and they're perfectly valid.
    Other than repeated statements to this effect and supported with no substantiation what do you have here other than an opinion lacking any substantiation?

Funny that we allow people to drink their faces off at Commonwealth and go to concerts whacked on unknown drugs which can and does have second hand consequences for other attendees but that we deny something outdoors, as second hand innocuous, as smoking tobacco.

Cigarettes cause no significant behavioral pattern or effects in the user or cause them to either be aggressive, have potential to harm others, or anything like that. On the hand we allow alcohol, one of the more violence associated substances known to man to be used freely in public arena/stadia and next to children and families. While selectively targeting smoking.

lolol

Society gets stupider all the time. (not saying you good sir)

ps Its funny. You could almost guess who voted which way before looking at the council notes.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-03-2015 at 04:35 PM.

C'mon. Provide the data where outdoor cigarette smoking has lasting effects on anything or anybody. The fireworks probably give of pollution than anyone smoking in the area. What they going to ban next in the square, kids screaming while they play. That's very bad for eardrums.
    I can see the puff of smoke as it surrounds my head. What on Earth do you think I need to prove?

^Like that puff of smoke is going to follow you around. When you look in the mirror do you also see cartoon birds flying in a circle. The things people say to justify stupidity. I suggest you build yourself a bunker with 12 ft. thick walls and stay in it for the duration. I suppose you never go to barbeques, outdoor fires, don't sit in traffic with cars idling around you, would never sit on an outdoor patio near a major route. Boy, what a sheltered life you are going to have to lead.

Don't you find it hysterical that the legendary scowl is actually not for staring down fascism but for a nic-fit?

That photo inspired millions.
    Naw, I think he's ticked off because some a**ole was trying to take away his rights and freedoms. Cigarettes are not illegal, they are subject to taxes etc. Making it illegal to smoke them in wide open spaces is a nanny state by-law. I'm allergic to some medications, how do you think it would fly if I was taking to hospital and I demanded they stopped issuing those meds to other patients just in case they get me mixed up with someone else. I have a relative who is allergic to seafood in shells. He doesn't go to a restaurant and demand they stop selling it. The list is endless of what people are allergic to but the dick wads at city hall decide they will babysit us all and stop a handful of people from lighting up in the great outdoors.
    Last edited by Gemini; 04-03-2015 at 05:51 PM.

^Like that puff of smoke is going to follow you around. When you look in the mirror do you also see cartoon birds flying in a circle. The things people say to justify stupidity. I suggest you build yourself a bunker with 12 ft. thick walls and stay in it for the duration. I suppose you never go to barbeques, outdoor fires, don't sit in traffic with cars idling around you, would never sit on an outdoor patio near a major route. Boy, what a sheltered life you are going to have to lead.
    Look, I'm sorry you're so sensitive about this.

I suppose you'll freak out if I mention they're trying to get people to reduce the amount of perfume they wear the the opera as well.

Oops.

^I'd sympathize but the Opera is indoors. We are talking about outdoors. Vastly different venue.

On a still day like this, someone smoking beside me, right in the middle of this.

Really.

Do the mosquitoes filter it for me?

Source

Maybe buy yourself one of these it could do double duty. Keep the smoke away and the mosquitoes. Oh wait, on the agenda at City Hall = Ban mosquitoes from Winston Churchill Sq.
    http://www.geekculture.ca/geekcultur...tore/caps.html

Last edited by Gemini; 04-03-2015 at 06:10 PM.

If that's all you've got, I guess we're done this discussion.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

A little off topic but I think smoking should just be banned. Period. Fine for possession of tobacco. If green tobacco gets you jail time then brown tobacco should get you something at least. I used to smoke when I was younger, both kinds, but now can not hack it. Pun intended.

Not the smoke people are allergic to, it's one or multiple chemicals people have adverse reactions to. Over 2000 chemicals and more then 51 carcinogens. To say open air situations as other posters are implying is the most ignorant viewpoint on the matter. It's obvious many posters have not worked in environments with carcinogens, and how serious industry along with oh&s take it

If that's all you've got, I guess we're done this discussion.
    And you have even come up with less, so I guess we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Swillv8 View Post
    Not the smoke people are allergic to, it's one or multiple chemicals people have adverse reactions to. Over 2000 chemicals and more then 51 carcinogens. To say open air situations as other posters are implying is the most ignorant viewpoint on the matter. It's obvious many posters have not worked in environments with carcinogens, and how serious industry along with oh&s take it
    That's why some cleaners, chemicals, carcinogens have labels on them saying to use in well ventilated places. Well, what's more ventilated than OUTSIDE.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    A little off topic but I think smoking should just be banned. Period. Fine for possession of tobacco. If green tobacco gets you jail time then brown tobacco should get you something at least. I used to smoke when I was younger, both kinds, but now can not hack it. Pun intended.
    Then after that they can work on banning chocolate bars, potato chips, soft drinks etc. as after all they can cause all kinds of health problems. Make it so that other people can't stand to watch other people eating stuff like that. Then they can go whine to the powers that be to get it banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Swillv8 View Post
    Actually being that I'm allergic to cigarettes I can state that its actually the tobacco that I'm allergic to. not the chemicals contained therein. Verified by medical science, sorry.

I'm also allergic to grass and get some reactions even while cutting the lawn. Either smelling it, touching it, breathing it, can impact. But second hand smoke occurring outside does nothing at all to me. I would have to be handling Tobacco, smoking it, or breathing it in indoors in an enclosed space to get that reaction.

I'm also Celiac and allergic to consuming any gluten, wheat, barley etc. A lot of grains. Not sure how connected all that is yet or whether it is.

But again the dilution of second smoke outdoors impacts me not one iota. Even though I can break out in a hive rolling a cigarette. (for others).

Jaybee, above you are citing a very rare event at Churchill Square where its packed with thousands of stationary people. Not a mode occurrence there whatsoever. So even though the smoke does simply rise, blow away, and is of no consequence how about a rule or recommendation for special events just like that, which happen rarely, they could post some signs telling people not to smoke and getting people to butt out out of consideration when and if they do. In many cases a smoker lights up without even thinking about it. Ask them nicely and I've rarely met a smoker who wouldn't stop.

Treat them contemptuously with ludicrous controls, or attitude, or as if they are human pariahs and I imagine the response is different.

The War on Second hand smoke is already won. Its over. Getting people to stop smoking indoors around others and around children has been a quantum leap for health of others. Taking this same battle outdoors is not only overkill it marginalizes the argument about where smoking really shouldn't be occurring, i.e., indoors. I understand the mindset of the resolute smoker as well. Tell them that they can't smoke indoors around others and they accept that. But start telling them they can't smoke outdoors either and the reaction is predictable if not including fallback on all behavioral changes and an according **** you response.

Lets leave the attempts at control where it belongs, and where its effective in improving public health, limiting smoking indoors. To do more than that is just picking at peoples asses just for the sake of it.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-03-2015 at 09:56 PM.

The thing that strikes me about this debate is mostly pale deja vu from the Bill Smith era council who made Edmonton the first major city in Canada to ban smoking from restaurants (by far their greatest accomplishment, although that's not saying much.)

We got over it, despite the doomsaying the sky stayed up, and most other cities in English North America followed.

And then we expanded it to all public buildings.

And then to school zones, playgrounds, and Commonwealth Stadium (all outdoors).

And then to the whole province.

And the sky is still up.

I think the sky makes it through this time as well.

10,000?

Wish ESO could find a way to do this every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    I think this is just a one time thing... Normally they hold this event in Hawrelak Park don't they? I think they had to move it this year for several reasons including the triathlon events. Hawrelak park is a great location but an additional event like this in Churchill Square would also be amazing.
    Sept 4 -5, 2015
    Symphony In The City returns to Churchill Square this fall, Disney theme!

http://www.edmontonsymphony.com/conc...ny-in-the-city

YesssSsssssssssss!!!1!1!!!!!!1

Has anyone seen Symphony In The City the last 2 nights?

C2E Long Term Contributor

Friends went Friday and while cool, they loved it and said it was well attended.

Last night looked great.

https://instagram.com/p/7SelfkEnVn/
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

They always say they will move it indoors to Winspear if weather is inclement.

I guess they can't move it into Winspear because of the demand but why say that. This weekend weather has been the worst we've had in several months.

Was thinking about going but the weather is keeping me indoors for now. Amazing picture.

Can they get 11K people in that area? Whats the capacity of Churchill square (not including City Hall area)

About 11-12 if packed ^in.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    About 11-12 if packed ^in.
    Thanks Ian. But a lawn chair crowd, sitting, takes up more space than the same amount of people standing. With aisle spacing its more than twice as much space taken for seating.

The same principal is why you see less seats and more standing area on LRT or any rapid transit cars. Maximize space and people/car.

tbh I think they always overestimate numbers in these things. I don't think you could seat 12K people in that space. not in a way that would allow any entry/exit.

Unlikely no, I'd guess 5-7000
    www.decl.org

I believe the 11,000 estimate from ESO is the conservative two night total, and clearly the weather was a factor in attendance, but it was a breathtaking experience for all who dressed for it. Truly a phenomenal addition to the festival scene, and the only one with potential to rival the Folk Fest in grand spectacle.

I would say the max number of attendees who would comfortably have a view of the screen in lawn chairs would be around 7,000, although the music and fireworks are just as lovely to experience from 99 Street, Churchill forest, and the Winspear Plaza, which adds perhaps another 7,000 in theory.

Suggestions for next year:
    • add a Sunday and Monday
    • do some cross promotions with TOA and ITU
    • Add daytime indoor shows at Winspear, Milner, Citadel, AGA Theatres from other classical ensembles.

going to the 104th street farmers market on Saturday for the first time ever. so looking forward to it !

Stop by DECL cornfest in Beaverhills.
    www.decl.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12