Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rossdale Power Plant Redevelopment.

Rossdale is being decommissioned on schedule. It didn't get transferred to Capital Power with the rest of EPCOR's generation assets and no longer appears to be part of the grid (not listed here http://ets.aeso.ca/ip_web/Market/Rep...DReportServlet under Gas).

She's dead, Jim.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Rossdale is being decommissioned on schedule. It didn't get transferred to Capital Power with the rest of EPCOR's generation assets and no longer appears to be part of the grid (not listed here http://ets.aeso.ca/ip_web/Market/Rep...DReportServlet under Gas).

She's dead, Jim.
    What is that schedule?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Last newsletter is now a year old, but the info is still current: http://www.epcor.ca/en-ca/social-res...tober%2008.pdf
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    So...it's almost at the end of 2009. Is there still any move to decommission the Rossdale Power Plant?
    Yes...there is...

...strictly speaking from a grid standpoint...Genesee 4 is planned...Keephills 3 is almost done...Rossdale is gonzo in 2009...

From this article

The process of decommissioning the Rossdale generating
    station will evolve over an 18-24 month period with
    planning starting in early 2009. The process will involve:

• Detaching the switchyard from the generating station,
    • Removing existing generating equipment,
    • Evaluating building structure and integrity, and
    • Determining an end use.

EPCOR will continue to operate the water treatment
    plant and switchyard at the Rossdale site.
    As part of long-term planning for the site, EPCOR
    is committed to retaining the historical buildings at
    Rossdale, and finding an adaptive re-use for them
    that reflects the community’s values and priorities
    Onward and upward

Genesee 4 got shelved a little bit ago. Not advantageous to proceed given the current economic climate.

Genesee 4 got shelved a little bit ago. Not advantageous to proceed given the current economic climate.
    Was the logic that it is better to wait for the economy to rebound, so that labor is short and it costs more?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Was the logic that it is better to wait for the economy to rebound, so that labor is short and it costs more?
    While there is more labour available than at the peak, with Keephills 3, work in Ft. McMurray picking up and Shell Scotford still not reaching peak labour, there isn't a massive supply available either, especially from the Unions.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    The process of decommissioning the Rossdale generating
    station will evolve over an 18-24 month period with
    planning starting in early 2009. The process will involve:

• Detaching the switchyard from the generating station,
    • Removing existing generating equipment,
    • Evaluating building structure and integrity, and
    • Determining an end use.

EPCOR will continue to operate the water treatment
    plant and switchyard at the Rossdale site.
    As part of long-term planning for the site, EPCOR
    is committed to retaining the historical buildings at
    Rossdale, and finding an adaptive re-use for them
    that reflects the community’s values and priorities
    Excellent. I hope the redevelopment plans start up soon too.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Would love to see that historical power plant turned into a sound stage for the province's film industry.

Keep the historical outside - minuse the stacks.

From EPCOR's first Corporate Responsibility Report, published on Nov 9, 2009:

We committed to retaining the provincially designated historical buildings and have been pursuing an adaptive re-use for them that reflects community values and priorities. Four community advisory task groups were established in 2005-06 and asked to bring their perspectives to the opportunities presented by opening up the site and developing a re-use plan. The groups looked at community interests, heritage interests and employee interests, as well as parks, access and amenities. They were asked to identify core values that should guide any re-use and identify specific re-use ideas compatible with these values.

Based on those common themes, we evaluated a number of re-use options and consulted with partners and potential users. We pursued the concept of a Rossdale Water Centre as identified by the groups. But after reviewing a market assessment, business planning and architecture and engineering estimates, we concluded that the concept is not viable. This was primarily due to the size of the market, its strategic position relative to other water centres of excellence and competing service providers, and the engineering and cost estimates for an adaptive re-use

We are still working to determine future site use that respects the values and themes identified by the community groups and reflects our commitment to minimize community impacts.
    I don't think EPCOR has any intention of giving up a single square metre of land. Whatever redevelopment opportunities exist for the decomissioned plant will need to make business sense for EPCOR in the long term.

(Full report available here)

Thank God they killed the Water Centre idea.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I think in the meantime until the Expo planning is all done and ready to go Epcor should at least throw some lights on this thing. Light up the stacks and let Edmontonians know that it's still there. it's so dark and useless looking in the night.

give it some exposure. Get the Expo planning committee to have a giant banner made stating "SUPPORT EXPO 2017" or "PROPOSED EXPO 2017 SITE" or something. Make it visible from Telus Field, Queen E Park Road/Walterdale Bridge, etc.

First One is Always Free

As someone who, for over three decades, has been very passionate about again establishing a School of Architecture in Edmonton, I see the Rossdale Power Plant as a tremendous opportunity. Not having the ability (or the means) to move away from Edmonton when younger, I became a proud graduate of NAIT's Architectural Technology program over 30 years ago, and later went on to earn two degrees in Industrial Design from the U of A - all en route to that ever 'elusive' degree in Architecture.

So much of Edmonton's young design talent has been forced to relocate (with many not returning) because we do not have a School of Architecture in the city. I have taught many talented students in design - both in Industrial Design, for seven years, and in Architectural Technology at NAIT where I presently teach, who were also seeking to obtain a degree in Architecture - yet, they were required to move away. My own sons are presently studying Architecture at The Cooper Union in NYC. It truly is a 'civic embarrassment' that Edmonton does not have a School of Architecture - we are the only major city in North America with a population approaching one million people, without a school. Heck, even Sudbury, Ontario (no offense Sudbury) is soon to open a School of Architecture.

The economy and jobs of the future will be based on creativity and ideas - a new School of Architecture would do wonders for Edmonton. When the University of Waterloo in Ontario relocated its School of Architecture to abandoned buildings in Cambridge, both the town and the program experienced a rebirth. Three years ago, Waterloo's program had over 1800 applicants for 70 spots; the demand to enroll in Architecture is still very high and shows absolutely no signs of declining - all programs throughout the country are exceedingly oversubscribed.

I propose that the time is perfect to bring a School of Architecture and Design back to Edmonton - the Rossdale Power Plant (soon be decommissioned) would be an ideal place to have a School of Architecture. Refurbish the buildings for the 2017 World Expo and then reuse them (after Expo) as a design campus for the University of Alberta consisting of the new School of Architecture along with new schools for its existing design programs (Industrial Design and Visual Communication Design) - if the U of A isn't interested, then perhaps NAIT should step in and expand its Architectural Technology program. Either way, Edmonton has gone far too long without a School of Architecture and the tremendous benefits it would offer. As another example of what this proposed campus could be, consider what a wonderful place Vancouver's Granville Island is with the inclusion of the design and art programs of Emily Carr University. With a School of Architecture and Design located in the Power Plant, Edmonton's Rossdale could be just such a place.

Default Epcor demolishing five buildings to create new green space near river

EDMONTON — Epcor plans to start demolishing five of the 10 former Rossdale power plant buildings this summer as it continues to look at what else can be done with the area.
    Work will start inside the 1960sera structures before they're torn down in 2011, creating a nearly one-hectare public green space along the North Saskatchewan River, says Geoff Wagner, Epcor's director of Rossdale decommissioning.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/techn...429/story.html

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by snark View Post
    AIt truly is a 'civic embarrassment' that Edmonton does not have a School of Architecture - we are the only major city in North America with a population approaching one million people, without a school. Heck, even Sudbury, Ontario (no offense Sudbury) is soon to open a School of Architecture.
    Meh... while I agree that a school of architecture would be nice, you're making a grand overstatement by saying it's a civic embarrassment. The City of Edmonton has little to no input or control over something such as this... if you feel it is so important, may I suggest you try speaking with the province/U of A instead of placing blame on the city?

First One is Always Free

In reply to etownboarder's previous quote:

Please understand that my post was not to 'attach blame' to anyone or any organization regarding Edmonton's non-existent School of Architecture - I am sorry if I have personally offended anyone. Yes, in hindsight, it would have been fortuitous if the U of A and the provincial government in the 1940's would have had the foresight to continue the program. Rather, I am looking forward and trying to generate enough public pressure and interest to support restoring a School of Architecture in Edmonton. I feel that there are certain requirements that major cities should have; one of these is a School of Architecture. My concern is that this has been so neglected throughout the decades and is still being neglected - perhaps, one of the reasons for some of Edmonton's somewhat less-than-inspiring architecture or as Mayor Mandel calls it, "crap" (although, this is beginning to change dramatically). Every now and then, there is a glimmer of hope such as today's article in the Edmonton Journal - lately, I am feeling less and less like the proverbial 'voice in the wilderness'.
    Last edited by snark; 30-01-2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Not really sure how to get quote to show up properly.

Things are definitely starting to change for the better... I am pretty sure, however, that the U of A has very little interest in starting an architecture program. I wonder if smaller schools like Concordia or even MacEwan could be involved?

First One is Always Free

Yes, sadly the U of A probably has not or is not considering a School of Architecture (yet). I guess the next best solution would be a expansion of NAIT's Architectural Technology program (where I teach) into a four (or five) year Bachelor of Architectural Sciences degree. Another option would be a satellite campus of the University of Calgary and its Environmental Design program. It's just that the U of A already has a pretty good Industrial Design program - pair this with a School of Architecture (like the Carleton University) and it could be something special. I just keep telling myself that if I get this message out enough times, it just might actually be seen by enough people or someone who can actually make a difference.
    Last edited by snark; 30-01-2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: oops - forgot "NAIT's"

Unfortunately, if the U of A were to open a new Faculty/School of Architecture, it likely wouldn't be at Rossdale. South Campus? Yes. And that's a BIG if... cause again, it's not even on the U of A's radar right now.

Here's an interesting article on the history of the Rossdale Power Plant, and the politics of gaining, and regaining, historical designations...
    Written in 2002.

http://www.rewedmonton.ca/content_view2?CONTENT_ID=239

City council deserves to be commended for its decision earlier this month to restore three buildings at the Rossdale Power Plant to Edmontons Register of Historic Resources. Its a move that does much to right the horrifically bad error in judgment made by some members of the previous council three years ago when they approved demolition of the buildings and yanked the buildings off the list.

Partially Addicted to C2E

What condition is the Rossdale Power Plant interior space right now? Does anyone think you could hold an event there in its "raw condition"?
    Edmonton is a diverse landscape of business and culture in a beautiful rivervalley setting

^not sure, but that would be an awesome idea. Do a 'what could be' gala night... get some buzz and corporate excitement goin.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Partially Addicted to C2E

^Of course it is an awesome idea! A large community event with the right check boxes would generate a lot of buzz ...just need to know the condition.

IanO if you know of someone who might know... please let me know.
    Last edited by mki; 18-05-2012 at 03:59 PM.
    Edmonton is a diverse landscape of business and culture in a beautiful rivervalley setting

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...lant-plan.html

City aims to transform old Rossdale power plant site

The City of Edmonton plans to turn the area around the old Rossdale power plant into a destination in the river valley, complete with docks, walkways and the possibility of small shops and restaurants.

“It holds all the potential to create a regional destination,” said Rob Marchak, Edmonton’s Director of Urban Planning.

“I mean, one of the things with the [new Walterdale] bridge and all of these components - we're also creating a new entrance to the downtown [that is] very much a signature piece.”

He adds that the historic brick EPCOR building, which sits overlooking the North Saskatchewan, could be turned into a cultural space. A twelve-story apartment building could also be part of the plan.

Part of the powerplant, including its three distinctive smokestacks, was demolished in 2011 after the plant was decomissioned. The smaller building, which remains standing, is a historic sight.

The area also served as a gathering place for aboriginals for thousands of years and the original site of Fort Edmonton.

Marchak says the plan is still in the design stage, and funding isn’t in place. The city will have to discuss the ideas with the residents who live in the area.

“A series of walkways and view decks down there. May even be some commercial involved if we determine that's what's needed or wanted down here,” he said.

Rossdale Community League President Lynn Parish says she’s encouraged by the initial plans, but wants to make sure that the development doesn’t overwhelm the river valley.

“We will be concerned when development takes place to ensure it is very much in line with what the zoning says...that twelve storeys don't become 14,” Parish said.

The city is currently in negotiations with EPCOR over the power plant lands.

C2E SME

I think it would be great to have a water taxi service that could include Rossdale, the Queen launching pad and McKinney Park. Of course, this service could be expanded to other destinations if it's popular.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Please get this going... It is such a critical piece to making central Edmonton a real destination. Love the condo idea.
    www.decl.org

I hate that the city is likely to buy the Epcor land from the company. I don't know the likelihood of Epcor donating the site. Thoughts?
    Last edited by etownboarder; 07-07-2012 at 07:07 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

You think they would as they are owned by the City.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...ng-of-the-city
    One other project that might make sense for Beljan is taking on the old Epcor power plant in Rossdale, where nothing is close to happening in the abandoned industrial plant at the very heart of our river valley and city.

Beljan makes it clear he’d be open to tackling this difficult but crucial project one day. If he can crack that power plan nut, he won’t just be Edmonton’s King of Back Alleys, he’ll be king of the city.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Expect some feature lighting in the near future.
    www.decl.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12