Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rossdale Power Plant Redevelopment.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Rossdale Power Plant Redevelopment.

With the upcoming decomissioning of Rossdale this an opertune time to formulate a lobbying stratedgy for what should become of the site. I know I have already received a primary survey in regards to what should be done.

I do realize that there is a rich history in the immediate area. Most notably the Indian Burial Grounds.

Now my idea is that the power house would make an excellent site for a Musuem of Modern Industry. It could showcase the large machinery and progressing technologies needed in modern industry. I imagine it starting with steam power in the 1800s to modern innovative technologies such as hydrogen fueled engines. I feel this would be an ideal fit for a space that will be left with, I believe, 3 large gensets.
    (I however advocate the demolition of the large smokestacks as they interrupt the view of Downtown from the south river bank.)

For the immediate area surrounding; an interpretive center catering to the Indian Burial Grounds and perhaps the History of Edmonton as it relates to North Sask.

This one site could become and landmark destination if done correctly. Not only for a museum, but for densification and urbanisation.

Museums can be tricky things and can find themselves in competetion for to little funding in the long term. Between the Space sciences centre / odyssium/ telus science world whatever it's name is this week, the Royal Alberta Museum, and the Reynolds Museum out of town it could be tricky to get a museum that wouldn't compete eith the others and yet at the same time attract ongoing operating funds.

An alternative could be to use some of the space as a design school and workshop space combining arts and industrial design. Being close to the U of A, Grant Mackewan and Old Scona it is an ideal location.

Another use of the space is for a "living history" theatre such as they have in saskatchewan and vancouver's gastown. Actors in character act out vignettes from edmonton's history, from ice age to oil boom.

I suspect a facility that combines the functions of historical site, industrial museum. Design school / workshop, theatre space, restaurant, bike and inline skate rental, is what will work and survive past the first year or two.

Whatever is done with the space, it should be tied into it's surroundings so it isn't a one stop destination. It needs to be tied in via river craft and or special bus routes with other attractions so it doesn't have to stand alone, indeed compete with other facilities.

For example, impagine a cable car that would take people from the convention centre to Muttarts consrvatory and rafters landing. Then imagine a smaller river boat or jet boats that would travel from rafters landing to the power station and then to the zoo/ft edmonton. In winter, special buses running to and from downtown and old scona stopping in at the powerstation and ball park. tying in the legislature grounds to teh other facilities.

All anyone has to do is get on that first bus / tram, and trhey can spend the whole day seeing new things.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Just reposting my idea from another thread:

Once the EPCOR plant is decommissioned, turn it into our version of Granville Island (Vancouver) or Eau Claire (Calgary). The big building cannot be knocked down due to historical designation, so I could see a big funky street market opening up in there along with some restaurants and a pub or two. Use the chimney stacks to build an observation tower. Move the Edmonton Queen launch there, or at least set up a pick-up/drop-off point. Integrate it with the burial grounds and Telus Field.

Two words: Tate Modern.

That should be a major source of inspiration for what to do with the power plant once decomissioned.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    Once the EPCOR plant is decommissioned, turn it into our version of Granville Island (Vancouver) or Eau Claire (Calgary).
    My $0.02:

Every other city I can think of that's tried to create their own Granville Island has failed miserably, of which Eau Claire is one such example.

Quote Originally Posted by MylesC
    Two words: Tate Modern.

That should be a major source of inspiration for what to do with the power plant once decomissioned.
    100% behind you on that one; a super idea.

Yes that works. The Tate thing works or you could do it as a native history mueseum. THis fits in with the burial ground and you could link it with public transport along with the muttart and louise mckinnley. Make the river valley integrated with the city rather than a seperate entity as it is now. But you also need to redo the road there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WMelhem
    Yes that works. The Tate thing works or you could do it as a native history mueseum. THis fits in with the burial ground and you could link it with public transport along with the muttart and louise mckinnley. Make the river valley integrated with the city rather than a seperate entity as it is now. But you also need to redo the road there as well.
    Native history museum vs. Tate? I'll take Tate everyday of the week.

highlander

The newer section should be torn down, and if the old cannot become a museum or Hall, it would make an excellent paintball arena, or gothic night club.

I've often thought, while biking/walking/rollerblading behind the plant that the 2 pumphouses, from the 20's & 40's, I think, would be great as a cafe and lounge for valley users. At least one has a "patio" and with a stairway downto a dock for canoes, etc, it would be a hit for at least 6 months a year.

i would like to see a decent injection of low to midrise condos in that whole lower area with a few localized shops...not a granville.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander
    The newer section should be torn down, and if the old cannot become a museum or Hall, it would make an excellent paintball arena, or gothic night club.
    The new section is actually pretty snazzy. I'd love to see it stay.

As for a paintball or goth night club location...I'll have to say boo to those ideas. That is far too ripe a location to waste on a niche market business.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Granville Island has a few good features, but mostly it strikes me as giant food court masquerading as a market. We are spoiled in Edmonton in that our farmers markets are real farmers markets.

First time I went to the "fabled" Granville market after hearing Vancouverites rave about it's produce etc I saw the Sysco Inc truck pulled up outside unloading all that "market produce" and burst out laughing. Got a few funny looks, but there were all these Vancouver urbanites rushing in to pay twice as much for the same food, from the same wholesaler, that supplies all the supermarkets. Same deal with the meat and the fish.

I think we should keep the new building, just ditch the stacks. And in reference to the redevelopment of the area, a lot of the space is taken up by the Rossedale water treatment plant which isn't going anywhere. But, there is room 'up hill' closer to 97 ave, and once the transformers were removed there would be some room to build there. I actually think that might be a good place to put some student housing, even if it is done at a loss. You can get a more "hip urban" island between Scona and Downtown that way. Most of the neighbourhood would be conventional, but with just enough avantgarde to lend it that cache that will sell the concept.

highlander

Quote Originally Posted by MylesC
    Quote Originally Posted by highlander
    The new section is actually pretty snazzy. I'd love to see it stay.

As for a paintball or goth night club location...I'll have to say boo to those ideas. That is far too ripe a location to waste on a niche market business.
    For the record, I don't actually think that it should be a club or paintball arena, while it would be good as either, it would be a waste of the potential that it does have.

Have you been inside the powerplant? The old section is all exposed brick, and is full of neat features like catwalks and The bases of the old generators. It was all a while ago, but i thought that the new structure, was not much more than a standard prefab industrial building. I think that the space it stands on would serve better either to provide landing to a larger walterdale bridge, or As a memorial

Quote Originally Posted by murman
    Once the EPCOR plant is decommissioned, turn it into our version of Granville Island (Vancouver) or Eau Claire (Calgary).
    My $0.02:

Every other city I can think of that's tried to create their own Granville Island has failed miserably, of which Eau Claire is one such example.
    Yeah, but we're Edmonton, dammit...we can do better than them.

While having a historical museum to go with the burial grounds is a good idea, I still think at least turning part of the Rossdale plant into a riverside cafe/market/multi-use district will give people other than cyclists and joggers a means of enjoying the river valley, which is supposed to be one of E-town's great selling features. Plus with both Telus field nearby and the Kinsmen across the bridge, it can help integrate the two and make them less isolated. And the riverboat can take convention-goers from the Shaw to there. And think of the view when the Canada Day fireworks are on!

Oh, and another novel idea...whatever is built there, keep some small-scale power generation so that it can provide its own electricity. That should keep the Greenpeacers happy.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

The ability to be able to walk along the RV and get a glass of wine and a small sandwich is something I really want - and a revamped Plant combined with a museum...YAY!!!
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

Oh yes, whatever is done with the site it must both make use of the river and valley park system and provide amenities for the casual and pleasant use of the river and park.

It's nice that we have an urban wilderness, but we also should utilize the central river valley as more than a setting for jogging and bike paths, and especially make use of the river itself. Without the river there would be no Edmonton, yet most people's relation to the N Saskatchewan is to see it out of the corner of their eye as they drive over it.

The power plant is already a dominating human presence in the valley, and as such is the perfect place to connect the "city" with the "river" It makes little sense to try and build a riverwalk at Louise Mckinney below the conference centre when the Epcor site is ready made for it.

My $0.02:

While having a historical museum to go with the burial grounds is a good idea, I still think at least turning part of the Rossdale plant into a riverside cafe/market/multi-use district will give people other than cyclists and joggers a means of enjoying the river valley, which is supposed to be one of E-town's great selling features. Plus with both Telus field nearby and the Kinsmen across the bridge, it can help integrate the two and make them less isolated. And the riverboat can take convention-goers from the Shaw to there. And think of the view when the Canada Day fireworks are on!
    Your concept smells suspiciously like that other under-performing project in Winnipeg, Riverfront Park or whatever it's called. Wondrously underwhelming.

My $0.02:

Your concept smells suspiciously like that other under-performing project in Winnipeg, Riverfront Park or whatever it's called. Wondrously underwhelming.
    1. Why is it underwhelming? I've never been, so I am afraid you will have to enlighten me.
    2. Why can't E-town do a better job of it than the Peg? Surely it would be a template on learning what to do right and what to improve on.

Partially Addicted to C2E

I'd like to see it as some cultural centre, either as an art gallery, a museum, a live theatre complex, or a mixture of those uses, coupled with small scale niche retail and entertainment spots. Couple that with a river gondola stop, and we could really make it a nice tourist destination in the valley without swamping the area with traffic.

http://edmsun.canoe.ca/News/Columnis...0/1660872.html

Yes Matilda, there's life hereafter for the soon-to-be-decommissioned EPCOR Rossdale Power Plant.

Ever since EPCOR was beaten back by the greater community in its attempt to "recommission" the huge but ancient brick power plant in the heart of the river valley, the city-owned water and power utility has been scratching its head over a future use for the monster building.

Yesterday, after speaking at the Scouts Canada Annual Leadership Breakfast, CEO Don Lowry spilled the beans to Hicks on Six.

"It's going to be the Alberta Water for Life Centre of Excellence," says Don, "a global centre for water research.

"The interior will be renovated from top to bottom for water research in all its shapes and forms, with classrooms, laboratories and lecture halls.

"We have an opportunity for Edmonton, as a river city, to be on the world stage as a centre of excellence for water treatment, conservation and research."

No details as yet, given the water for life centre is in its very early stages. "We'd like to see international, provincial, city and U of A participation," says Lowry. "There isn't much else like this anywhere in the world."

After losing that ill-fated bid to keep Rossdale as a power plant, EPCOR wisely went through exhaustive rounds of community consultation on a future use for the historic building.

Can't think of a better win/win for all concerned.
    If that's all it's going to be then I say "meh".

Ah nuts, so much for a new museum.

grish

I would say this is good news. Not a mraket type development, but another museum for a city that prides itself in education as just as good.

That's all fine and well, but there's no mention of any other usage many of us would like: restaurants, wine bars, small retail, boat launch, interpretive centre for the burial grounds, etc.

That's all fine and well, but there's no mention of any other usage many of us would like: restaurants, wine bars, small retail, boat launch, interpretive centre for the burial grounds, etc.
    Pfft… I want a ninja training centre. But I know everyone will laugh at me, so I keep my mouth shut.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

http://edmsun.canoe.ca/News/Columnists/Hicks_Graham/2006/06/30/1660872.html

If that's all it's going to be then I say "meh".
    X2

Not bad, but CERTAINLY not the revitalization key for Rossdale that could seriously transform Edmonton's image (re: Lamphier's call to arms).

Unimaginative and too exclusive.

Yesterday, after speaking at the Scouts Canada Annual Leadership Breakfast, CEO Don Lowry spilled the beans to Hicks on Six.

"It's going to be the Alberta Water for Life Centre of Excellence," says Don, "a global centre for water research.

"The interior will be renovated from top to bottom for water research in all its shapes and forms, with classrooms, laboratories and lecture halls.

"We have an opportunity for Edmonton, as a river city, to be on the world stage as a centre of excellence for water treatment, conservation and research."

No details as yet, given the water for life centre is in its very early stages. "We'd like to see international, provincial, city and U of A participation," says Lowry. "There isn't much else like this anywhere in the world."
    Maybe not as exciting as some were hoping, but sounds interesting.

grish

I want to see all that too. I think the new LM park should get all that (minus the interpretive centre of course).
    I think we should change the focus of this debate to what type of neighbourhood should the whole area from 98av to the river (or to the Plant) and from Leg grounds to baseball field be.
    I would want to see a miniature version of a European town with cobble-stone sidewalks, pedestrian streets and a large square with international-fare restaurants with pattios in the summer. Put a removable glass roof and keep this going year round.

That's what I mean.

People keep crowing about our wonderful river valley and in the next sentence say that we need to get more people to enjoy it other than bicyclists and joggers. Well, here's an opportunity to transform the Rossdale into a mixed-use environment for everyone to enjoy, whether you're a foodie or a history enthusiast.

This water research thing would be an excellent addition to the site, no doubt. But if that's going be the sole replacement of the power plant, then it's just another squandered opportunity by this city.

Besides, if they want to attract all these aquatic scientists to their proposed research centre, shouldn't it be a more attractive place to work?

Quote Originally Posted by grish
    I would want to see a miniature version of a European town with cobble-stone sidewalks, pedestrian streets and a large square with international-fare restaurants with pattios in the summer. Put a removable glass roof and keep this going year round.
    I agree. Like a Gastown under a roof, that would be deadly.

After losing that ill-fated bid to keep Rossdale as a power plant, EPCOR wisely went through exhaustive rounds of community consultation on a future use for the historic building.
    Ummm... what the h3ll are they talking about? Does anyone here know about this process?

I got a mail out from Epcor, requesting feed back.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I think Epcor should be applauded for the idea. We talk about bringing life into the river valley, a reseach center built into the old area of the plant can easily be combined with a park-like area or a square where the newer additions currently sit. This, blended with the new native memorial could give us exactly what we are asking for, a busy people-place in the valley.
    Museums, or Granville Island type developments are ideal but if they don't catch on (look at the Boardwalk, and just how many people are at the Provincial Museum each day?) you have a sterile half empty old building.
    A working institution guarantees that people will be in the building daily. There is also no reason that a research center can't have a cafe or a nice food vendors area built in.
    I think we should be encouraging this. If done properly (and it sounds good) it will be a huge lift to the valley.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ralph60
    I think Epcor should be applauded for the idea. (...)
    A working institution guarantees that people will be in the building daily. There is also no reason that a research center can't have a cafe or a nice food vendors area built in.
    I think we should be encouraging this. If done properly (and it sounds good) it will be a huge lift to the valley.
    I agree. No one thinks that doing something is necessarily a "bad" idea, but for this location, especially right on the main entrance to DT, it needs vision. Really, this is one of the few opportunities to make something spectacular - and include the research center. Vision people, vision!

I agree with Ralph60. vision is the key. Good that Epcor is able to utilze the space, but I question really how "busy" this area is going to be. If only classrooms and a few office spaces are going to be added, likely the people will not be seen byeond walking to and from their cars. I figure that most people in this forum are wanting to see PEOPLE downtown walking the streets and giving the city a "populated" feel. Rossdale lands are at an opportune time to change directions and contribute to the DT's transformation. Problem is what? Are boat launches and bike rentals really enough?

We are looking at a transformation of the entire area. I would hope that consideration would be given to integrating the water research center, the native memorial, the expanded legislature grounds and redevelopment along 97 avenue all together.
    What I would like to see is high end condo devlopment for the area from 97 ave south for one block. This could be integrated into public space the way the condo's along False Creek in Vancouver are with the walkway along the water.
    I think once the Terrace Building and Legislature annex are gone the desirability of this area will increase exponentially.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph60
    I think once the Terrace Building and Legislature annex are gone the desirability of this area will increase exponentially.
    I have mentioned elsewhere of my desire to see the Terrace Building site turned into a riverside cafe/boutique district, with a walkway akin to the Victoria Promenade.

I agree. There's no reason why the Plant needs to be *just* a museum. You could put numerous things into it.

Todd Babiak on Rossdale redevelopment:

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...8-783c87f56a1c

Ideas are great, but how about a plan?
    Time is now to plot out Rossdale redevelopment
    Todd Babiak, The Edmonton Journal
    Published: Thursday, July 13, 2006

The mayor wants a weir in the North Saskatchewan, to raise the water level for boats and, possibly, whimsical submarine rides. I do not know what a weir is, per se, so I cannot say it is a bonehead idea. What I really like about the mayor's idea is that it is an idea.

The Rossdale power plant will begin to shut down in 2009. To some, three years is a long time. Of course, there is something seriously wrong with those people. Citizens in the Rossdale neighbourhood, newspaper columnists, lawyers with philanthropic tendencies and aboriginal groups have been trying to start this debate for a long time. Three years is on the verge of too late.

When Art Gallery of Alberta executive director Tony Luppino arrived in Edmonton, he helped set up a competitive process to redesign his building. Epcor's leaders could be in the same position, calling for proposals, setting up public discussions, hiring geniuses.

A number of cities have used decommissioned industrial sites in wildly creative ways. Some of these projects are now models of success. Others, not so much. A Tuesday editorial in The Journal mentioned Granville Island, one of the most successful.

Vancouver's Granville Island, managed by Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation, was an untested concept when the reclamation project began in the 1970s.

Maintaining the area's gritty industrial roots in the transformation process was brilliant. Now the tin and rails, the weird alleyways and giant, industrial doors seem a perfect setting for markets, studios, museums, theatres and restaurants.

Transformations of other waterfront sites have been less successful. For example, The Forks, in Winnipeg, has a problem with population density. There isn't any. The Forks is a lot better than, say, abandoned railway yards. But if the team that rejuvenated the meeting of the Red and Assiniboine Rivers had been more strategic, it would be so much more lively today.

The Forks Renewal Corporation was a partnership of federal, provincial and municipal governments, all devoted to renewing the CN East Yards.

There is a small market, a Parks Canada interpretive area, restaurants and a spectacular skate park. However, most of the land is taken up by parking lots. No one lives at The Forks. Artists do not practise there. It is a destination for first-time visitors to Winnipeg, but it is difficult to imagine returning -- except for a particular restaurant. While Granville Island feels like an urban village, nurtured by chaos, The Forks feels like a couple of linked malls on the river.

What they have in common is public-sector investment and planning. As we approach 2009, the Rossdale transformation will certainly require public-sector investment and planning. The question is, what sort?

Epcor is considering an interpretive centre devoted to water. Great. Poetic even. But with all due respect to Epcor, and to water, this would be a rather sad thematic tentpole for the area. The City of Edmonton has hired a consultant to look at Jasper East. Will the city hire anyone -- for example, one of the urban planners who oversaw the Granville Island project -- to consult them on Rossdale 2009?

We know, from Granville Island and from other examples -- like the riverfront Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, Virginia, where 84 artist studios meld with a school, galleries and museums -- that art and design are a cheap, and desirable, people magnet. So is a genuine market. Not a diversity of maple syrup merchants, American chain fast-food stores and "Canada, eh!" T-shirt sellers, but real economic diversity. And, if the residents of Rossdale are not scandalized by the idea, some architecturally appropriate condominiums would be lovely.

What this requires, and what Edmonton has always lacked, is inspired urban planning and -- nasty word! -- regulation. The city needs ideas, and lots of them. Weirs, submarines, boutique hotels, climbing walls, giant sculptures, a dignified site honouring the aboriginal burial ground, an Edmonton campus of the Alberta College of Art and Design, a decent Mexican restaurant. But what the Rossdale project requires more urgently is a formal process to digest and apply these ideas. Is now too soon?

[email protected]

Epcor, please read this column!

Here is my Idea of maybe what could happen in the Rossdale Flats...what do you guys think?

DanC, I love the idea. Essentially what you're suggesting is filling up all the empty space with buildings. I love the idea for DT, but I can hear the environmentalists already up in arms about it. I'm looking though and am wondering what you were thinking for the midrise buildings North of 96 Ave? Commercial? Condos or Apts?

what I love about this plan is that it is encouraging an area that is pedestiran friendly. Now I know that Epcor has some of its own plans for Rossdale itself, but I really like the idea of building some sort of interpretive ctr. Babiak's column today about trying to fill Rossdale with artists, and lofts, etc would be a perfect fit for this area...SO AGA needs to get in on this!

What's interesting is that you're suggesting two plazas. I would add another one in the gardens to encourage ice cream vendors, buskers, street performers, etc to set up shop and add some life.

Otherwise, Good Job! Now, who can we send this idea to. Who knows, maybe the Mayor might want in on this!

Yea, the blue outlines around the yellow is supposed to suggest main floor retail and then residential up above. 96 Ave would become the shopping "strip" and the north side of it would be retail fronting the street and 7-18 floor Condos on top and in Behind.
    I wanted to keep all the high rises North of 96 ave to maximize sunlight onto the "Strip."

grish

I like it. You are hired to run this all through the city and get it up and running

One thing we should suggest is an architectural standard for the area. Previously, I thought of "Boston" as the prototype. But, having read the article in THIS THREAD about the history of edmonton, perhaps the street-level should define early 1900's Edmonton architecture. Recreate the fronts of some of our old character building that are either no more or can still be seen at Ft. Edmonton.

perhaps the street-level should define early 1900's Edmonton architecture.
    But I hear there's a shortage of cardboard...

to continue my comments from SSP (thanks for the link), great idea Dan!

As for the Tate proposal, I agree 110%! I give it a 1 in 1000 chance of happening, and chances are if it went that way it would be a native history museum done on a sub-par level. (Sorry Edmonton, your track record isn't great...)

grish

perhaps the street-level should define early 1900's Edmonton architecture.
    But I hear there's a shortage of cardboard...
    ??? One of us is having a dense moment. Either I don't get the joke, or the joke is plain not funny. Maybe it wasn't even a joke. Hmmm...

Anyhow,
    I am talking about the nice log, brick homes, or simply homes with unique detailing all around that people would recognize as a reproduction of Rutherford House, or old post office downtown, etc..

After I posted by original thought, another vision came to my mind--one of pictures from about 100 years ago with native camp in the flats with legislature in the background. I think you can see this pic at McKay ave school museum (which is a little gem of our history by the way).

So, this native history link to the flats should be incorporated into the architecrure of the development. For example, if they do decide to build some taller buildings along 97th, they should draw the architectural designs from the totem poles of the west coast. the street fronts should incorporate the design of the traditional teepees. The whole layout of the space could be inspired by a traditional native camp. There are China towns, Little Italy's everywhere. We could have probably the first Native Canadian Village neighbourhood. Make it round with a public space in the middle. Make it unique, and we will have the icon of architecture people are asking about.

"??? One of us is having a dense moment. Either I don't get the joke, or the joke is plain not funny. Maybe it wasn't even a joke. Hmmm... "

dense moments for murman is like breathing for us.

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

You know, I have been to the Forks, in Winnipeg, and it is awesome! I go back to it every time I'm there.

If the Forks has got it wrong, I'm not quite sure would actually be required to be considered a success. Everything about it seems fun, historically authentic and interesting, integrated with the rest of the city via water taxis in the most original way, useful in terms of the shopping opportunities, and a fun place to go.

I suppose if you want to be fair, it is a "place to go" and you could probably add a bit of residential without screwing it up. But it is far far from a failure either in design or execution. When I'm there, I also hardly seem to be the only one.

When we talk about Edmontonians, we sometimes complain about a streak of pessimism and self-loathing a kilometre wide. Frankly I am beginning to suspect that it is true, and that it extends not only to our city but to how we view the rest of our country as well.

...and, back on topic....

I suppose its true that the plant will close, which I have mentioned elsewhere on a thread about Rossdale as something regrettable.

If we can't just enjoy it as it is, I would love to see it retained for some productive use. Right now I see it as a symbol of our productivity and self-reliance. I think it's good for us to keep it that way.

I wonder if some local business like Stantec or PCL or some Bio-Startup would take it on and develop it into a funky office campus for their headquarters...

Museums are not the only places that deserve to have access to interesting historical buildings. The fact that we could put one of our Edmonton businesses there shows that we value our economy too. Which is a worthy sentiment in this town...

Quote Originally Posted by lux
    I wonder if some local business like Stantec or PCL or some Bio-Startup would take it on and develop it into a funky office campus for their headquarters...

Museums are not the only places that deserve to have access to interesting historical buildings. The fact that we could put one of our Edmonton businesses there shows that we value our economy too. Which is a worthy sentiment in this town...
    I would rather see Stantec or PCL in their own office towers in the downtown core.

And why give this to a private corporation? The Rossdale plant is owned by EPCOR, and the majority shareholder is the City of Edmonton. So that land should belong to all citizens of the city and it should be treated as such.

Oh, I've always thought of Rossdale Power Plant as being in the downtown core. And I'd be happy to see any of those companies in their own towers downtown. But anyway, I had no plans of giving it to anyone; I was thinking of selling it to them.

The likelyhood of a PCL branded downtown office tower being built anytime in the next 25 years is slim at best. Maybe slightly better odds with Stantec though...

I like many of the ideas mentioned in this thread but as someone has mentioned this will need a solid planning process, similar perhaps to the process followed for the Old Fort Road development. I think we could learn a lot from many European cities that have redeveloped old industrial sites throughout the nineties. How about bringing in a architect, with experience in this type of development, to come up with a master plan for the whole Rossdale Flats area? Hey, Foster's people are going to be just down the road in Calgary throwing up that giant Encana tower. They've done some pretty good things. More London and Duisburg inner harbour look particularly appropriate. http://www.fosterandpartners.com/

Quote Originally Posted by uberurban
    The likelyhood of a PCL branded downtown office tower being built anytime in the next 25 years is slim at best. Maybe slightly better odds with Stantec though...
    It's a shame really. Something like half of Canada's top 20 construction companies are run out of Edmonton, yet them and other massive engineering firms have minimal DT pressence. PCL, Stantec, Clark Builders, Lockerbie and Hole, Bird construction, UMA, Dawson Wallace......

You should see Dawson Wallace's office...ghetto.

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyT
    Quote Originally Posted by uberurban
    It's a shame really. Something like half of Canada's top 20 construction companies are run out of Edmonton, yet them and other massive engineering firms have minimal DT pressence. PCL, Stantec, Clark Builders, Lockerbie and Hole, Bird construction, UMA, Dawson Wallace......
    /\ tell me what other large engineering firms have their name on a large tower in a downtown other than the large multi-disciplinary firms like AMEC or Stantec? Not many. It's a fact that most engineering firms do not need to be located in the core and most are located in suburban office / business parks.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    "??? One of us is having a dense moment. Either I don't get the joke, or the joke is plain not funny. Maybe it wasn't even a joke. Hmmm... "

dense moments for murman is like breathing for us.

If my face is green, does that mean I'm not breathing?

Sorry, my original comment was more of a dig about Edmonton being nothing but clapboard shacks (clapboard, cardboard, etc.), or whatever old Mel said a few years ago...

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Clapboard shanty-town...

Default Design Inspiration

Florence!

Ponte Vecchio

Bring two ideas together:
    Big bridge across river meets riverside cafe/merchants/information center.
    Put the City owned info center in the old power plant buildings (and other city oriented services: parks and rec, rangers, tourism, historical resources, beautification, environment, public works. The City is in dire need for a place to show off all of its stellar periferal services. Not everything happens in City Hall!) and design the bridge to have pedestrian friendly boutiques under the roadway structure. This would connect the bustling Whyte Avenue corridor to the new Bridgeworks (I give permission to use that name with acknowlegement). Even better, find a way to loop the trolley from the Bus Barns south to the new bridge, up 105 Street and west to 109 Street.

The problem with projects like this is the City got out of the business of making money and building nice/creative/original infrastructure when "someone" made popular the concept of fiscal responsibility and no deficit spending. Bye-bye creativity, bye-bye originality.

Sell the rights to develop the area to a corporation that doesn't have to be re-elected every few years.

Without big business on the shoreline, nothing will happen. Sorry

Big business? EPCOR would make the most sense, at least for the Rossdale site. The Province can chip in with the Terrace demolition and help tie the Rossdale plant with the Legislature grounds.

Hmmm, wine and a sandwich while in the river valley. I like that idea Richard, but there are many who would oppose any hint of commercial development there. It would be an ugly battle.

That location has some very significant historical relevance aside from being an aboriginal burial ground. It was a major trade site - being low lying and easily accessible to the river. It was also where Catholic missionaries first set up; aboriginals aren't the only ones buried there.

And when Col. Strange came to supress any potential insurrections following the Red River uprising, that is where he and his troops camped.

Then there's the plant itself. It's construction was considered to mark the industrialization of Edmonton.

" Bridgeworks "

i like that...or how about the development around it in entirely:

"bridges"
    www.decl.org

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

So, put the sandwich shop in the plant building, get rid of the stacks, and have a "patio" over the current cooling water pump site on the river....you could even dock the Queen there...

Personally, I would like to see the Rossdale plant turned into something like Ghirardelli Square in San Francisco.

http://www.ghirardellisq.com/ghirardellisq/

What a great idea imo.

Oooh, I'd love something like Ghirardelli Square. Except instead of moving the chocolate factory elsewhere, we'd build one. Mmmm.

After spending a brief time at the Square this past week, I was imagining at how it could be replicated at Rossdale. The possibilities are endless.

Since a number of cities in North America lately have lost power for extended periods of time due to ice storms, etc., I thought I'd highlight the possibility that having a natural gas power plant downtown might have provided us all with some insurance. I imagine it provided some security of supply to the city.

Now most of city's power will be brought in from far outside the city (Genesee...), possibly greatly increasing our risk of severe power outages due to storms disabling transmission lines and towers in the countryside.

Epcor is restarting the Cloverbar power station, which will have more capacity and is better located to be working industrial plant.
    Rossdale is redundant and will never provide a large amount of generating capacity.
    Like Cloverbar it would be at best a stop gap for peak demand periods. If the transmission lines go down from the major generating centers or the tie lines to other provinces, its going to be rolling black outs/brown outs. I can't see them putting a plant online and isolating it into one section of the grid.

Addicted to C2E

This is my idea for the Rossdale redevelopment. The colourful building would be an arts centre. The large four-legged structure could be office space. Of course the actual redevelopment would require smaller scale development such as cafes and shopping; maybe even low-rise condos.

What do you guys think?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

How does it fit with the city's river valley policy?

First One is Always Free

After I posted by original thought, another vision came to my mind--one of pictures from about 100 years ago with native camp in the flats with legislature in the background. I think you can see this pic at McKay ave school museum (which is a little gem of our history by the way).

So, this native history link to the flats should be incorporated into the architecrure of the development. For example, if they do decide to build some taller buildings along 97th, they should draw the architectural designs from the totem poles of the west coast. the street fronts should incorporate the design of the traditional teepees. The whole layout of the space could be inspired by a traditional native camp. There are China towns, Little Italy's everywhere. We could have probably the first Native Canadian Village neighbourhood. Make it round with a public space in the middle. Make it unique, and we will have the icon of architecture people are asking about.
    I like the idea of a link to Native history in the area but the romantic image you have of the camp on the flats with the legislature in the background... why would there be totem poles there? They would be as out of place as the inukshuk the Vancouver Olympic committee picked for their logo. Surely there are some local symbols to draw on?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

travis...

Could you resize the pictures to 640 X 480? It keeps the thread within most browser windows so that people are not scrolling over to read the following posts...

You can also hyperlink to the larger hi res version by either inserting a link below, or embedding it within the image.

C2E SME

I think what could help that area further is if there was a much more dynamic pedestrian link to the Kinsmen Center and the John Walter Museum. That would hopefully bring people back and forth accross the river without having to worry about the car traffic and crossing the street.

I love the idea of linking the Legislature grounds to the site as well. As that design illustrates, if there is some retail and also some residential that will bring more people to the area immediatly. And as I have mentioned before in other posts I believe they should move the big baseball bat from 97st and 118 Ave to outside of Telus Field. If planners want the rossdale area to work, they should not just focus on what to do with the plant but also how can the overall area be develloped that will not only attract Edmonton residents but also attract tourism.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS
    travis...

Could you resize the pictures to 640 X 480? It keeps the thread within most browser windows so that people are not scrolling over to read the following posts...

You can also hyperlink to the larger hi res version by either inserting a link below, or embedding it within the image.
    Perhaps you can start thinking about changing the layout of this forum. As you've witnessed, people like pictures. This forum is not condusive to images at all. I like the idea of the forum, but this layout stinks. Waste alot of space on both sides, for little or no purpose.

Just my 2.5 cents (damn inflation)

I like the look of your idea. Reminds me of the many dockland projects around the UK. I was running past the plant the other day and there are two pumping stations built into the river bank that would make great cafes/restaurants with outdoor patios.

grish

Quote Originally Posted by freelancelove
    They would be as out of place as the inukshuk the Vancouver Olympic committee picked for their logo. Surely there are some local symbols to draw on?
    surely. such as? i just cannot think of anything that would incorporate the height of a highrize and native traditions. i know the Totems are from the west coast. You can read that acknowledgement of their origin in my post.

Addicted to C2E

travis...

Sorry about that.

I really like the idea of that building, but realize that the old generating plant is on the historic resource list, so it cannot be demolished.
    The other thing I am having trouble with, its trying to understand the relation of your buildings to the actual site, can you give some landmarks for orientation?

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by DanC
    I really like the idea of that building, but realize that the old generating plant is on the historic resource list, so it cannot be demolished.
    The other thing I am having trouble with, its trying to understand the relation of your buildings to the actual site, can you give some landmarks for orientation?
    It would go somewhere around here:

The old plant should definitely be kept. I am not sure where it is in this picture though. Is it the building adjacent to the walterdale bridge?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

The plant is to the left of your square. The L Shaped builing...

I like the idea and I like your building. The colorful part is excellent and like I've been harping on, it can tie into a colored lighting scheme that can hit certain focal points through out the City and Valley, ie High Level Bridge, Smokestacks in Rossdale, Muttart Pyramids, etc.
    The only thing is, the area you marked out might contain a few buildings that are critical to the still and continued functioning of the water treatment plant.
    There definitly needs to be a total plan developped for those flats, its the #1 piece of property in the City. The views are unmatched, River, Leg, Downtown, Southside/uni skyline...its just awesome.

highlander

The old plant is th N-S oriented part with a bunch of stacks (9?)

I like the marina and bridge part of that plan, and the colored building, too although I'd have to see how it would interact with the Old Power Plant. It might be a bit too big, too, although that could be my eyes. How tall do you intend it to be?

I'm not sure about the legged building, though.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by feepa

Perhaps you can start thinking about changing the layout of this forum. As you've witnessed, people like pictures. This forum is not condusive to images at all. I like the idea of the forum, but this layout stinks. Waste alot of space on both sides, for little or no purpose.

Just my 2.5 cents (damn inflation)
    It is an idea, but the space on the sides has a purpose for future development. Additionally, pictures can be easily posted with the IMG command, we (the volunteer and no budget C2E) can't afford the huge disk space that allowing direct uploading of pictures would require, nor do we have the "bandwidth" to back these up, or assure storage over the long term. Most forums today don't allow direct uploading of pictures due to these issues, and the plethora of free "hosting" sights out there. Photobucket is one I use.

Now back to the regularly scheduled thread.....

It is an idea, but the space on the sides has a purpose for future development..
    Kind of like surface parking lots?

Addicted to C2E

Thankyou for the feedback everyone. Much appreciated

On a seperate note, I think the redevelopment should include a residential tower like this one in Dublin:

That's U2's little venture, is it not? I still think the Tate Modern in London sets the best example for priliminary steps at least.

Wiki it if you've never read about it or seen it.Here is the link
    Shameless Urbanophile

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Tate is a good example...I don't think highrises will work in this area.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Although only the "edges" of the site are technically within the floodplain protection boundaries, I'm not sure the contents of a building that would be compatable with what is in the Tate Modern should be or can be "kept" in a river valley.

While I would have preferred to see the Royal Alberta Museum relocated downtown close to hotels and restaurants and parking and transit, what is being proposed (both the first half and the completed building) will be quite spectacular. Cudos to the design firm and the lead architect and the client who agreed to do the project in two halves instead of halving the project.

I would think that keeping the contents - as well as the building - at the top of the bank and not using the river valley space below it to "redo" the museum was part of their decisionmaking as well.

Addicted to C2E

How about low-rises?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

That may work...I don't think anything over 4-5 stories though...there is nothing in the area taller.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

That may work...I don't think anything over 4-5 stories though...there is nothing in the area taller.
    Richard,

That's the same "trap" you can fall into in the warehouse district and it's not right there either. It's only been forty years that downtown has had a single building taller than the MacLeod Block (CN Tower was the first in 1963).

Personally, I'd rather see two or three point towers on that site than the low rise massing shown so that pedestrians and traffic on all sides still get view corridors and ground level activity and interest that is inviting rather than a barrier.

Ken

PS Maybe if they were sufficiently engineered and located properly they could support a "top of bank" to "top of bank" bridge deck?

I would prefer to keep all highrises out of the river valley, all the proposed highrises would look great on the valley edge.

Travis, I do like the building with the colourfull stripes on top but I think the building should replace the power plant or be incorporated into the existing building somehow.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor
    Richard,

That's the same "trap" you can fall into in the warehouse district and it's not right there either.
    ...I was speaking on whether or not these proposals would pass the political sniff test over 4 stories. We can't even seem to get a bistro approved...

I think the whole area down there is ripe for mixed use, 4-9 stories... no reason why it can't be explored.
    Shameless Urbanophile

highlander

I'd put the max palatable height down there at 4-6 floors, or a little shorter than the power plant. I don't think It's the place for highrise.

I love the current look of the valley, with big highrises on the ridge of the valley, and in McKay area a cascade of gradually shorter buildings down to the bottom. Height on top with short on the bottom accentuates the height of the valley, and makes for more dramatic views.

For me, it's about the local topography, rather than trying to preserve a neighbourhood of single family homes.

while i dont want a forest of condos in the valley, i wouldnt mind a few point glass towers in and around there.....not 30 floors, but say 12-18 with street front retail and art/gallery type space. Some townhouses would be nice on the podiums.

If you dont know what i mean, look to condos being done around UBC, south granville, west 4th, arbutus, and the such.

well designed, high end material, glass, and superb urban planning.
    www.decl.org

grish

I would want to see these line the 97 (or is it 98?) Avenue and tall enough to hide Peregrime Point. Along the river edge I think we should have the existing plant redeveloped into a variety of things from water research facility to Granville-Style market/ open air concert venue/ urban park. I think we should keep the residential buildings back a bit from the water.

So...it's almost at the end of 2009. Is there still any move to decommission the Rossdale Power Plant?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

http://www.balticmill.com/about/index.php
    This flour mill was made into a gallery.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast