Thread: Old Photos Scanned in

Default Old Photos Scanned in

Some of these slides might have been scanned the wrong way. I tried to correct most of them, but if your look at one of them, and it seems like something is orientated wrong, it's because it likely is...

Enjoy!

All these slides were scanned in by me from a family collection. All photos are hosted by the wonderful people at www.flickr.com

Most photos from this series are on this thread, but a few more less interesting ones are available on my flickr page : http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

C2E SME

Wow, great photos Medwards. These must be from around the early to mid seventies?

I remember that skyline as a kid, and that the AGT/Telus tower was all the rage.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Thanks for sharing. I love the one showing the AGT tower under construction.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Love the pictures! Thanks so much for taking the time to scan and post them.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

That's Century Place under construction.

Very cool shots. It's been a long time since I've seen one of the old read and cream ETS buses.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Fascinating shots.

Are the following identifications correct?

112 street, facing north from Whyte Avenue. U of A hospital. Pre-1965 (Trolley wire configuration)

Jasper Avenue, 98 street, south side. This is where the Convention Centre stands now; the Alberta Hotel would be just across the street kitty-corner from the Queens.

114 street, looking south approximately from the northern end of the Jubilee station LRT platform

Walterdale Hill, old ascent pre project Uni
    Last edited by abaka; 16-09-2010 at 11:53 PM.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Holy crap! Say what you will about Hall D, but its a big improvement over the Queen's Hotel.

CN Tower under construction? Enjoyed.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Alberta Jasper Building ~ Great facade !!
    Queens Hotel ~ Inspiration for the coho shaw convention centre white wall
    City hall ~ Inspiration for the Robbins centre

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    That's Century Place under construction.

Very cool shots. It's been a long time since I've seen one of the old read and cream ETS buses.
    Of course... my mistake.

C2E Long Term Contributor

super cool
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Partially Addicted to C2E

The old City Hall so reminds me of the Jetson's, when I saw the picture I found myself humming the theme song.

I'll never understand how a 90's reclad and reno made the Churchill into one of the ugliest buildings downtown. The original would have been so much better:

In Guantanamo (Banned)

^But it's beige concrete brut, ugh, how ugly!

The desire to re-clad it is exactly the same one that's about to butcher the AE building on ninth.

PS. It is also the same though that gave us the new city hall in place of the old one that's so prominent in the same picture.

I am old, and the old modernist world speaks to me.

To be fair, the Churchill was a conversion from surplus office space into seniors housing, and was obviously going to be cheap and likely had to lose a lot (2/3?) of its windows.

From RJC

But it's ugly in such an indeterminate way. It doesn't look '90s at all, and has far more in common with Academy Place and other apartments scattered throughout Oliver. They took a '60s tower, and they reclad it as a different '60s tower minus any style or proportion.
    Last edited by newfangled; 17-09-2010 at 10:52 AM.

The old windows were too narrow for seniors housing though, the new ones more practical... okay uglier too.

They did similar (albeit less drastic changes) to the Rosedale Manor, this former office building, before it looked like a mini AGT building with gold reflective windows.
    http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...,25.9,,0,-12.1

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

Edmonton really seemed like a city that had everything going for itback then.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

^No more and no less than now. Don't kid yourselves, even during the seventies boom it was a smaller, uglier, and more boring city than it is now.

The point, though, is that Calgary was MUCH WORSE in 1976. And then it caught up and perhaps passed us -- so that SOME citizens here went into permanent shell-shock, which is the single worst thing about Edmonton.

Did the Telus Tower have different cladding then? I can't put my finger on it, but it looks quite different.

I believe this photo is taken around 1975 because Century Place was completed in 1975 and the tower in the back of the Century Place was completed in 1974
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris83 View Post
    Edmonton really seemed like a city that had everything going for itback then.
    From the viewpoint of someone who grew up in here in the 60s, 70s and admittedly with the naivety of rose colored glasses, the city's psyche seemed to peak with the construction of the LRT and the Commonwealth Games. It's a shame that this momentum was not maintained in the ensuing two decades.

Abaka's observation about shell shocked Edmontonians is important from the standpoint of introspection as it is important to understand the causes of the mindset that has held back Edmonton's development and progression in order to counteract the inertia that infects people's attitudes and mindsets.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Quote Originally Posted by Chris83 View Post
    Did the Telus Tower have different cladding then? I can't put my finger on it, but it looks quite different.
    Which photo are you looking at?
    Strathcona City Separatist

In the first picture, the windows do not appear recessed, in the second picture (curtosey of 24Karat), the Telus Tower is creating a reflection, something I don't think it does today.

^ I think it's just the low-res nature of these photos combined with the light at he time of day they were taken that give that effect. As far as I know and have seen, AGT/Telus Towers have always had the same precast waffle walls.

Take this photo for example, shot last year:

Given the angle and the light, the recesses look almost nonexistent.

The glass is pretty reflective, too:

Both photos mine.
    Last edited by RTA; 23-09-2010 at 09:10 AM.
    Strathcona City Separatist

Quote Originally Posted by RTA View Post
    ... As far as I know and have seen, AGT/Telus Towers have always had the same precast waffle walls. ...
    The only exterior change, other than around ground level, was painting the baffles/grating on the mechanical floors. They used to be dark brown. The precast walls are in serious need of a good sand blasting. I believe this was done at some point near the ground floors.

First One is Always Free

I just found this thread and really enjoyed seeing these pics, they sure bring back a flood of memories. I have a couple of my own, unfortunately they're pretty poor quality. This one is the U of A hospital, possibly from around 114 Ave and 86 St, looking south? Taken in 1978.

This is the Colonel Mewburn Pavilion at UAH taken at the same time. The streets have changed a lot since then and I couldn't tell you where exactly I took this from. I'd really be interested is seeing some more pics of the Mewburn if anyone has them. I got my first job here after graduating from nursing training so this building is kind of special to me. I've searched the web and there's very little mention of the Mewburn Pavilion anywhere that I can find and no pictures at all.
    Last edited by The Usual Suspect; 31-01-2011 at 01:42 AM.

from a book called "colours of canada" - sorry bout the quality

^the muttart doesnt have that filled anymore, correct? looks great with the water

re: the Queens Hotel.

I thought that was the OTHER side of Jasper from the Convention Centre, and that Queen's was the same hotel that I knew later on as the Hub.

If not, then both sides of Japser at that end had a pretty similar look and feel to them. (Caveat: I have no memories of the south side pre-Convention Centre.)
    Last edited by overoceans; 31-12-2017 at 01:14 AM.

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Absolutely amazing. A window into what some have never seen. Thanks for sharing them.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......