Thread: Candidate Terry Rolls

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Default Candidate Terry Rolls

This thread is to ask questions of Candidate Terry Rolls – Councillor Ward 7.

All members are asked to allow the Candidate to post first in his or her thread. This is to allow the Candidate ample opportunity to introduce their background, platform, and any other information they may feel is pertinent to this discussion.

All decorum expected of members in the C2E Ask Forums will be expected here. An addendum is that posters may ask as many questions as they wish, but they are also politely asked to follow any instructions on posting or reply timelines that the Candidate expresses.

Thank you to all for participating in the 2010 Connect2Edmonton Election Forum!

Hi there. Terry Rolls here. Terryr on most forums on the web. www.terryrolls.org

The first thing to note is that the Ward 7 debate is on tonight.

The Candidates Debate for Ward 7 will be Tuesday Sept. 21 7:00P.M. at St. Bernadette Elementary School 11917 - 40 St.

You can also ask questions and watch online at;
    http://events.statusfirm.com/browse/.../ward-7-forum/

Well, I just got back from the Debate. I knew I could never be as slick as the incumbent, but I wish I was a little more polished.
    Several strangers said I did a good job, but then you never tell the ugly kid that they're ugly.

Anyone see it?

There were about 80 people there and a few were quite vocal. Many had strong opinions on various subjects.
    Like the Toastmaster said, this is the Core and Heart of Democracy.

I say if politicians had to face this once a month they would behave better.

The last election had about a 27% turnout. Let's bump it up a few notches this time.

I was at the Ward 3 Forum last night, which is just north of Ward 7.

In Ward 7 people were very concerned about multi-family housing that was overwhelming their neighborhoods. In Ward 3 there was no mention of it at all.
    This backs my position that Ward 7 is the dumping ground for these projects. Neighborhoods are going down a one way street when this happens.
    You often see houses being torn down to make apartments. You never see apartments being torn down to make houses.

I also noted something else. At the Ward 7 forum I brought flyers to distribute, but was told it wasn't permitted. So my uncle took them to hand out at home.
    In Ward 3 there were flyers from all the candidates everywhere. People were handing them out as you entered and they covered every chair.
    Quite an abrupt change in one day. Was it incompetence or influence?

There was a Take Back The Night event in Ward 7 last night and I went out to look it over.
    Take Back The Night is a womans anti-violence movement.
    My parents had a violent phase when they were breaking up and I can sympathize with the women and the children involved.

http://www.takebackthenight.org/

I looked at the exhibits, spoke to some people and met the volunteer organizers Monica and Bridgette. Then I left before getting political.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Hello, Terry. Thank you for posting at C2E. Best of luck with your campaign.

I have a few questions:

1. On your website, you mention Community Leagues, and are critical of the seemingly disparate way in which they're organized. What specific initiatives would you pitch to streamline and improve Community League organization?

2. You're critical of city council's decision to close the airport and build residences in the area, stating a lack of schools and overall lack of community would lead to another crime-ridden area. Do you feel the new proposed residential area could be built with all the necessary community-building trappings, like schools and other community centers?

Thanks in advance for your time.
    http://orbisaetherum.com — My story podcast. Take a listen!

1. The one thing that would help would be a city wide set of bylaws for the leagues. Right now every one has its' own, and they can change them on their own. This gives unscrupulous people an opportunity for mischief. If anyone could say 'these are the rules' then things would be be much easier to deal with.
    There are many leagues that have their doors open to the community every week. They shouldn't mind if we are trying to get rid of those that are not. And firm guidelines would get rid of those that aren't there for the community.

2. It's a neat idea. A town within a city.
    Should we close areas that are already built to funnel people into a place that needs to have everything made from scratch? I saw on the news they will pay seniors to stay in their homes. And yet they close schools to make young families move away.
    I've read ideas on connect2 about airport redevelopment ideas. Some of them are neat, and some utopian.
    I wonder about road access no matter what is done there. The airport only has a few access points. It seems that whatever was there would be isolated. Would that be good or bad? Emergency services would have more troubles. If crime moved in they would be out of the public eye.
    How effectively could roads be linked into the city grid?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Rolls View Post
    I wonder about road access no matter what is done there. The airport only has a few access points. It seems that whatever was there would be isolated. Would that be good or bad? Emergency services would have more troubles. If crime moved in they would be out of the public eye.
    How effectively could roads be linked into the city grid?
    109 St gets extended to Yellowhead using the old runway (16/34). The width of the old runway also provides parking areas for adjacent businesses and residential units. 118 Av gets extended to meet up with 118 Av on the other side. This provides 4 major accesses to the area, along with as many other connections as possible.

1. The one thing that would help would be a city wide set of bylaws for the leagues. Right now every one has its' own, and they can change them on their own. This gives unscrupulous people an opportunity for mischief. If anyone could say 'these are the rules' then things would be be much easier to deal with.
    There are many leagues that have their doors open to the community every week. They shouldn't mind if we are trying to get rid of those that are not. And firm guidelines would get rid of those that aren't there for the community.

Pretty sure this organization already exists in the EFCL (Edmonton Federation of Community League).

What if any has been you detailed involvement in your local community league and previous community leagues?

Well JJ, I was in a league that did nothing for the community. Yet money was pouring out on various things that had no result. $500 a month for a newsletter that came out once or twice a year for one. When I asked to see the books I was put off. When I said that the bylaws stated one person couldn't be president and treasurer the president/treasurer changed the bylaws. When I said the bylaws said only the members could change the bylaws the president/treasurer changed the bylaws to say she could change the bylaws. Finally I was blackballed out of the membership.

I went to the EFCL and the city liaison and anyone else I could think of. None of them were interested.

Since then I have kept an eye on the leagues and asked people in various leagues about their experiences. I have no reason to doubt what I have said.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post

109 St gets extended to Yellowhead using the old runway (16/34). The width of the old runway also provides parking areas for adjacent businesses and residential units. 118 Av gets extended to meet up with 118 Av on the other side. This provides 4 major accesses to the area, along with as many other connections as possible.
    118 ave is one lane from the 101 st. traffic circle to NAIT. Then it goes right through the campus. The Buses also use it to access the garage.
    Not really a major road.
    An intersection at 109 St. seems like a messy thing with the various roads and the mall right there.

118 avenue will be more of a major road when the east and west sections are united through the redeveloped airport lands.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Well, I worked at NAIT 5 years but I went by on the way back from Shaw to look it over.
    NAIT buildings straddle 118th, with an overhead walkway, and students walking across the street all day. And their biggest parkade is right beside it.
    Between 106 and 101, one side is all NAIT property, while the other is strip malls on the curb, parking lots, and a defunct theatre.
    Then the traffic circle needs to be rebuilt or destroyed.
    So how much is that? 50 Mil? That's if NAIT sells their land, and even then NAIT buildings can't be moved.

Updated a little. People like things in point form.

1. Taxes. Right now old neighborhoods are taxed the same as new ones. But what they call 'infrastructure', the pipes and roads and wires, are already in place in old ones. So in effect old areas are subsidizing the construction of new ones, who then take families away from the old ones, which causes them to get run down.
    There should be higher taxes in new areas, which would be fair, and also encourage builders to find spots in older areas.

2. The Airport Land. Whoever brought it up right now had clever timing on their part. The choices are leave it as an airport, develop it for industrial, and develop it for housing units. Each has its' arguments, but each one has money behind it that will be lost.
    I say there should be full discussion and participation, along with full disclosure, of all the aspects, which would include anyone who wants to be involved.
    This is not some corner lot the City got a hold of. This is a BIG area. It has BIG consequences.

And what about traffic? It seems I was the first one to bring up the fact that the airport is a secluded area. New roads will have to be made to connect it to the grid. How will that affect traffic, and how much extra will that cost?

In Ward 7 the Yellowhead/Gretzky interchange has been delayed for years. This project could require 3 or 4 interchanges the same size.

We could also put the new garbage dump there. It would save millions of dollars. But no one wants to be stuck with a big stink in the middle of town.

3. About a week after I brought up the closed school situation, [see website] I read in the paper the Mayor and School Board Chairs-people from Public and Catholic announced a program to 'preserve core-area schools with partnerships'. This will either save schools or re-use them for other purposes such as libraries, with input from the neighborhood.
    1 week. Fast action. You're welcome.

4. Epcor. While all this dog and pony show is going on Epcor has not been spoken of. Epcor was a very profitable City Owned Utility. Now a big chunk of Epcor was sold off to another company, with cash coming in but also somewhat worthless stock that has no market value as is. And the executives are the same on both Boards. Hmmmmm.

Re: point # 2.

What would you call the last two years? Have we not had enough input and discussion around the airport? Here's the process we've gone through http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...sultation.aspx Do we need to repeat this yet again???
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

1. Taxes. Right now old neighborhoods are taxed the same as new ones. But what they call 'infrastructure', the pipes and roads and wires, are already in place in old ones. So in effect old areas are subsidizing the construction of new ones, who then take families away from the old ones, which causes them to get run down.
    There should be higher taxes in new areas, which would be fair, and also encourage builders to find spots in older areas.
    I agree, but rather than multiple tax rates, I'd suggest a lump-sum per square meter charge on new lots at the time of the original sale. Not only would it pay for infrastructure, it would inflate the price of sprawl and make existing housing stock more competitive.

I think the average person only heard about it recently, after the decision was made. Some feel that one side got their way and now say 'no do overs'.
    Others feel the whole thing is a distraction, like the magician who waves one arm around while he picks your pocket with the other.

But aside from the airport itself, it is an instance when 80,000 people got together to speak out. How often does that happen?

I'd suggest a lump-sum per square meter charge on new lots at the time of the original sale
    That could be good as well. The final instrument isn't as important as the result.

grish

80,000? The certified number was a lot less, was it not?

I think the average person only heard about it recently, after the decision was made. Some feel that one side got their way and now say 'no do overs'.
    Others feel the whole thing is a distraction, like the magician who waves one arm around while he picks your pocket with the other.

But aside from the airport itself, it is an instance when 80,000 people got together to speak out. How often does that happen?

Terry - the average person won't even vote in the first place, if history is any indication. How much do we owe to those who can't be bothered to take half an hour to draw a line on a slip of paper (or however the mark will work this year)? Regarding "no do overs", is that a criticism of the Municipal Government Act? What would you do about that, given that it's outside of a councillor's realm?

Regarding "80,000 people [getting] together to speak out", differences in the actual number aside, what about the other 700,000 who didn't think this issue to be important enough to speak out?

2. The Airport Land. Whoever brought it up right now had clever timing on their part. The choices are leave it as an airport, develop it for industrial, and develop it for housing units. Each has its' arguments, but each one has money behind it that will be lost.
    I say there should be full discussion and participation, along with full disclosure, of all the aspects, which would include anyone who wants to be involved.
    This is not some corner lot the City got a hold of. This is a BIG area. It has BIG consequences.
    Both times the airport debate has been started in the past two years, it was started by a proponent of maintaining the status quo of keeping it open. Given that Envision Edmonton brought it up in 2010, how does your statement above apply?

Additionally, why do you believe are there only three options? For instance, keeping a permanent Indy track, as has been suggested, falls into none of those, for instance, and could be made to fit any of them.
    "A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Well, you say that the average person couldn't care less for politics. But then 70 or 80,000 get together to sign. That is the amazing part. There are always more who don't try than those who try.
    They were certainly outside the legal requirements. But are the rules really realistic? As you say, the average person isn't interested voting, let alone in day to day politics. So shouldn't they have some time to get themselves together?
    What I would do, is what I am doing. Speaking out for them.

I said three options because that's what the propositions have been. There could be any number of uses. I suggested a garbage dump for one.

80,000 people didn't get off their duff and drive all the way to EE's office to just to sign a petition. EE volunteers came to them at various events and harassed them into signing. I don't understand what was amazing about that.

Terry Rolls, can you please elaborate what you think was amazing about it?
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

^^Who should have time to get themselves together - Envision? Are you speaking for them?
    "A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Who?

I'm speaking for the people.

Who are you speaking for? Anti-Envision?

Envision has an agenda, but the others have an agenda too. On the other hand, it's hard to buddy up to thousands of people.

I'm amazed by the size of the petition. What else? In California big decisions go to Proposition and the people decide. Here, not so much.

"The people" don't care about ECCA, as the 700,000+ who didn't sign the petition proves. They already have a voice in the majority vote to close it. If you are speaking for those who wanted the petition, you ARE speaking for Envision, as they drove it and they planted the ideas in people's heads.

"Who are you speaking for? Anti-Envision?"

There is no Anti-Envision. I am a private citizen with no ties to this issue beyond common opinions.

"I'm amazed by the size of the petition. What else? In California big decisions go to Proposition and the people decide. Here, not so much."

Seriously? Would you want to vote on 20 different propositions, as Californians may be doing in November? That includes prop 27, funded by the governing Democratic Party to repeal 2008's prop 11 on government reform that "the people" voted in, and prop 23, known as the California Jobs Initiative, which is funded primarily by out-of-state based oil companies in an attempt to overturn climate change legislation. If you were voted in as a representative of a government where nothing you decided was binding, how would you feel about your role?

You say "there should be higher taxes in new areas", for instance (which I've suggested previously myself). How would you feel if developers spent hundreds of thousands on a petition to repeal that?
    Last edited by JOA; 03-10-2010 at 12:56 PM.

I'd feel bad. But someone fighting lower taxes would feel worse.

Your words show that people can get involved if they had the chance that the internet gives. You're "just a private citizen", yet you're well informed. Should your voice count? Of course. Then all the other private citizens should count as well.

And if a petition couldn't get 80,000 in time, how would they get 700,000? Those 700,000 probably weren't asked. I don't know anyone who was.

I think the web holds great promise. If they can secure credit card transactions, then on-line decision making should be possible when computer usage evolves.

hate to burst your bubble, terry, but i hope they never have on-line voting. who's to say someone won't be forced to make a vote they don't want. or what if a family member takes the vote away from another family member and makes the vote.

internet voting, while it sounds good, is a can of worms. it will be fraught with abuse.

the current method is the best we have. i go to a polling station. it's only me in the booth and i make my vote privately.

also, terry as for the envision edmonton petition, people didn't have to be asked to sign the thing. all someone had to do was phone ee and ask to sign. so, the fact the majority of people in edmonton didn't do that (despite all the media attention ee got) shows you the majority of people don't care if cca is closed down.

Here's a question - if a petition is short of the required 10% of signatures, how many signatures do you think are required before city council is obligated to make it a plebiscite question? Your reasoning for this number would be appreciated as well.

For example, I doubt you think that 100 signatures would be enough, maybe not even 1000 or 10,000. But at what point are there enough signatures to force an issue with council?

I'd feel bad. But someone fighting lower taxes would feel worse.

Your words show that people can get involved if they had the chance that the internet gives. You're "just a private citizen", yet you're well informed. Should your voice count? Of course. Then all the other private citizens should count as well.

And if a petition couldn't get 80,000 in time, how would they get 700,000? Those 700,000 probably weren't asked. I don't know anyone who was.

I think the web holds great promise. If they can secure credit card transactions, then on-line decision making should be possible when computer usage evolves.
    All the other private citizens' voices do count - if they want to make it count. The majority of Edmontonians don't want to make their voices count, otherwise they would have voted.

The petition didn't start on time, let alone getting enough signatures in time. No petition needs to hear from everyone, but the fact remains that the majority were not in support of Envision's goal with the petition.

I'm not even going to touch on internet voting - we haven't even moved beyond paper ballots here, and I'm sure the reasons for that are sound and well-thought out.

The City uses paper ballots, but they are immediately scanned into a computer while the voter waits. The prov and feds use paper counted by people.
    Yes, computer voting is a ways off. But they will think of a fraud proof internet ....someday. Imagine not having politicians at all. Everyone discusses it and makes a decision.

The majority probably won't vote this time. That doesn't mean they don't want Democracy. That doesn't mean the Right to Vote should be taken away.
    All we know with the petition was that they didn't sign. That doesn't give any indication what way they feel about it. Except lazy.

How many signatures? How about at what size? The bigger the project the more the people have a right to decide because the more it will affect them and their city.

grish

I am not quite satisfied by this. Before I go to vote, I do my best figuring out which of the candidates is best able to make good choices. If a candidate tells me that (s)he doesn't want to make any choices, then I have to question the participation in the election. At least another council hopeful Roxie Malone-Richards realizes that she would have to ask for a pay cut as, like you, she wants to defer decisions to plebiscites. But she only wants a 5.5% pay cut for a position with little to no responsibilities in council. I think that is too little of a cut.

So then I do have to ask:

What will council's job entail if all big decisions are made by the people?
    Why not then eliminate council and mayor positions altogether and run the city with city administration and planning only?

The City uses paper ballots, but they are immediately scanned into a computer while the voter waits. The prov and feds use paper counted by people.
    Yes, computer voting is a ways off. But they will think of a fraud proof internet ....someday. Imagine not having politicians at all. Everyone discusses it and makes a decision.

The majority probably won't vote this time. That doesn't mean they don't want Democracy. That doesn't mean the Right to Vote should be taken away.
    All we know with the petition was that they didn't sign. That doesn't give any indication what way they feel about it. Except lazy.

How many signatures? How about at what size? The bigger the project the more the people have a right to decide because the more it will affect them and their city.
    The majority may want democracy, but they still don't care enough to make their voices heard if they don't vote. Who said they shouldn't retain that right?

I didn't sign the petition. You're already indicated your belief that I'm well-informed... What does that say about the petition? Or are you calling me lazy?

As for your questions, I refer you to the Municipal Government Act. The rules are quite clear.

terry... you just don't get it. there is no "fraud proof method" when it comes to internet voting. id theft is common across the web. who's to say that someone won't "steal" the voting info from an elderly relative, for example, and vote three, four or more times.

with the current system, it's one person in one voting booth. they will never allow two people into a voting booth.

and california is the PERFECT example of why plebiscites don't work. you turn into a banana republic. special interest groups hi-jack the scene (hello envision edmonton) and the real issues are not studied/ debated.

our democracy (at the local level) works. get over it. and you wanna know something, if you were in my ward, i'd never vote for you!!

Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post

What will council's job entail if all big decisions are made by the people?
    Why not then eliminate council and mayor positions altogether and run the city with city administration and planning only?
    Damn good idea.

and california is the PERFECT example of why plebiscites don't work. you turn into a banana republic. special interest groups hi-jack the scene (hello envision edmonton) and the real issues are not studied/ debated.
    But people say that is happening now, with this system.
    Vote for who you feel will best represent you. Turning this into a forum slap fight just makes both sides look stupid. I won't play along. That's my choice.

4. Epcor. While all this dog and pony show is going on Epcor has not been spoken of. Epcor was a very profitable City Owned Utility. Now a big chunk of Epcor was sold off to another company, with cash coming in but also somewhat worthless stock that has no market value as is. And the executives are the same on both Boards. Hmmmmm.
    http://crr.epcor.ca/Pages/default.aspx

Terry, are you familiar with the limitations imposed upon municipalities under the MGA insofar as how much credit they can leverage vs their income provided via taxation? Also, are you familiar with the current cost of a modern, environmentally-compliant, major generation facility? Perhaps you should look into those two little pieces of information before coming down on EPCOR as some sort of civic Snidely Whiplash, tying taxpayers to the tracks.

As an aside, no change will be made in regards to the planned dividend payment (roughly equivalent to ~28% of residential property taxes) by EPCOR to its sole shareholder, the City of Edmonton for 2010. As to the impropriety allueded to by the Board of Directors, from the annual report linked above: "The Board is made up of 12 business leaders from British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario, appointed by our sole Shareholder, the City of Edmonton. There are no EPCOR employees, City employees or elected representatives on the Board." EPCOR employees do sit on the Capital Power board, as befits the fact that EPCOR owns 70% of the company. Unless you'd prefer they not manage their affairs?

(Once again, EPCOR employee, speaking entirely on my own behalf. No endorsement of/by/for the company intended or implied.)
    Last edited by noodle; 05-10-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Added Board of Directors bit lost somehow on initial posting.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Thanks for posting that. I always want to hear both sides. But in this case the two sides seem very far from each other. They have to be merged into one reality.

"appointed by our sole Shareholder, the City of Edmonton" This part bothers me. I read it as 'rich guys promoting rich guys'.

"Unless you'd prefer they not manage their affairs?" But they don't. Business leaders from British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario do.

You didn't answer my questions regarding your level of awareness regarding municipal finances or the cost of running and operating a company that builds and operates generating stations & instead chose to focus on a statement that actually means the only entity that gets any profits from EPCOR is the City of Edmonton. Not some "rich guy". The city.

The boards of both EPCOR and Capital Power are both publicly available information. Please, feel free to point out the colluders and conspirators in this situation. EPCOR has won awards for its corporate governance on numerous occasions.

I do appreciate the time you spent answering me during the busy campaign and for letting everyone know your stance on this important issue.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Huh? So you want the number of votes to be dependent upon the scale of the project? Who decides the scale, council, or the voters? Should we have votes to determine the scale of the project, which will be used to determine the number of votes needed to continue with a project? Would these votes happen before, or after council votes on something? Sorry, trying to figure out how many times a single project would have to be voted on.

1. Council votes on a project. If accepted, go to number 2.
    2. Voters (or council) votes on the size of the project to determine scale
    3. Once scale of project is determined (using numerical, or alphabetical scale??) the number of votes by the citizens in order to proceed will be determined, and voting will occur.

Yes, please, sign me up for that!

No, the size would be predetermined. Perhaps in land size. Perhaps in cost. Perhaps a combination of factors. If over a certain set of conditions, then the people must be involved. Council would have no vote first. But they could have afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    ... instead chose to focus on a statement that actually means the only entity that gets any profits from EPCOR is the City of Edmonton. Not some "rich guy". The city. .....
    So why are they in it? The goodness of their heart? A need to do good works? You get paid. So do they. They don't get to be 'top business-leaders' by giving it away.

So why are they in it? The goodness of their heart? A need to do good works? You get paid. So do they. They don't get to be 'top business-leaders' by giving it away.
    So we're supposed to all be volunteers?

EPCOR has to file the salaries and wages of their employees & executives as part of the routine semi-annual filing of the entirety of the regulated business that determines the electricity and water rates for the ratepayers. These breakdowns, including salaries and wages, have been deemed appropriate and reasonable by the regulator. If you have a concern regarding the wages, by all means, register as an intervenor in the next hearings and perhaps the regulator will address your concerns.

EPCOR has provided over a billion dollars to the City through the annual dividend. That's what we "give away". EPCOR retains 70% control of Capital Power currently. EPCOR may sell portions as required in order to help the company grow appropriately & to fund acquisitions and future projects without having to rely on the shared financing situation with the City that occurs due to EPCOR being wholly owned by the City and the City having limitations imposed on it by the MGA. (I've mentioned this before but you didn't seem to address that, so I felt it was worth repeating.)

You certainly seem to have an axe to grind Terry. I would highly recommend you get a basis in business and utility regulation before you continue to spout conspiracy theories and allegations of impropriety regarding EPCOR. The fact you think my salary is "given" to me is highly insulting. I earn my wage, thank you sir.

You said all the profits go to Edmonton. I said the execs are in it for the money.

How's that an ax to grind?

So are you an exec defending yourself? You certainly sound defensive.

I was at the Candi[date] at MacKewan last night. Then today it was a Library lunch. And searching for Signs in between. [they tend to disappear.]

The Library is semi-autonomous. The City tells them how much money they get, but they decide how to spend it.
    So I asked them what they thought of this new plan in answer to my complaints of schools closing, that would bring libraries into the buildings.
    They said that they wait until an area gets an increase of 20 to 30,000 people before putting in a branch, and then it has to be 5 Km from any other branch.
    That would exclude old schools. So this new plan is just political smoke.

You said all the profits go to Edmonton. I said the execs are in it for the money.

How's that an ax to grind?

So are you an exec defending yourself? You certainly sound defensive.
    I'm a low-rung union employee, with around a decade of seniority, trying to correct your inaccuracies and fallacies regarding the CPC/EPCOR split. I wouldn't need to repeat myself and come off to you as defensive if you had the appropriate knowledge and understanding.

You're the one who brought it up as a campaign issue after the deal is done and the courts have had their say. That certainly seems like at least a fixation. I was just responding to the aforementioned inaccuracies in your platform piece as a service to those who are in your ward.

Thanks for your input. I'm not anti-employee. I was a Teamster. [or maybe I still am.] But I have nothing to gain either way. The side of the residents is the side I worry about.

Something must have changed or they wouldn't have done it. Like so many things, both sides have to merged somehow to get a clear reality.

Signs, signs,
    everywhere are signs,
    blocking out the scenery,
    messing my mind....

Like the old song says, it's sign time.

Busted and missing signs are a constant problem. Some must be caused by goofy passerby. Others must be caused by zealots.
    I know of a few places where everyones sign get quickly destroyed except one candidate. Hmmm. That's not the right way to win, no matter who did it.

Stranger still is that some of my signs change location on their own. They go missing but show up somewhere else, stuck in the ground properly. Maybe they can walk on those little metal legs. Bylaw called me once to say a sign was illegal and was taken by them. But I had no record of it being put there.
    Maybe in the future it will be all digital signs. Or maybe some entrepreneur would have billboards that flash all the candidates messages, for a price.

^ Those types of actions of moving/destroying signs don't surprise me one bit in this election. I can probably guess which candidate was left standing - I've seen similar actions in my travels across this city.....

Things that make you go hmmmm...

I saw a Roxie Malone-Richards sign [ward 2] in the middle of Ward 7 today on a dead end street. Not very useful.

I forgot to mention here, that I had a luncheon with Library Board Members. I asked them about the 'new plan' to use closed schools for libraries and such.
    They said that City Council gives them their amount of money, but the Library does what it wants with it. And right now they want new 'Iconic' buildings that meet LEED silver at least, with no other library within 5 Km.

So so much for that. I still think the best use for a school is a school. Don't change the building, change the neighborhood to bring kids back.

Since I'm talking to myself here;

Demolition Order of Cromdale Hotel Upheld in Court

October 08, 2010

The Court of Queen’s Bench has sided with a City of Edmonton order to demolish the Cromdale Hotel in the city’s northeast (82 Street, 118 Avenue).

The City had issued a demolition order a year ago (October 23, 2009) on the basis that the Cromdale, vacant since 2004, was in an unsightly condition and was detrimental to the surrounding neighbourhood.

The owner appealed the order, but the City’s Community Standards and Licence Appeal Committee agreed with the demolition order (March 12, 2010); that decision was upheld in a ruling released today by the Court of Queen’s Bench.

“This is a win for the city and for the neighbourhood around the Cromdale,” says Ryan Pleckaitis, Acting Director, Complaints and Investigation Section, Community Standards Branch. “We’re pleased that the Justice agreed with our position that demolition was the only viable alternative to alleviate the detriment to the surrounding area.”

“The Cromdale has been the site of illegal activity for some time,” Pleckaitis adds, “and the building has undergone significant physical deterioration. We need to be able to create and enforce conditions that make for a safe and livable community.”

The Municipal Government Act authorizes the city to issue demolition orders against property owners in appropriate circumstances.

The owner of the Cromdale can still appeal to the Alberta Court of Appeal.
    Fantastic. That dump should have been gone 20 years ago. It's absence will be a big step to reviving the surrounding community. The nearby Church closed after 93 years and Eastwood school was shutdown after 87. Finally something that deserves it will be gone.

I started looking at School Trustee candidates. Their maps are different than ours. By cross-referencing I have gotten the following.

In Public School, most of Ward 7 is in Ward D, except Killarney, Glengarry, and Northmount are in Ward A, and Balwin, Delwood, and Kildare are in Ward B.

In Catholic School, All of Ward 7 is in Ward 73, except Killarney, Glengarry, and Northmount are in Ward 72.

Not much participation on the forum. I don't really know much about any of them, except for that whole school closing thing.

The Alberta Aviation Museum Association, in 2006 a small community museum now the 3rd largest aviation collection in Canada, is a feature tourism attraction in North Edmonton currently serves (5) veterans organizations, (3) Heritage organizations, (2) Youth organizations as well as a series of (6) modern aviation volunteer organizations such as the Civil Air Search And Rescue Association. The Museum also has the most advanced K-12 aviation education programming and is currently an operationally self sufficient not for profit operation that receives no operational funding from any level of government.

This is a facility that currently receives over 150,000 individual uses per year and attracts visitors from around the world.

What do you, as a candidate commit to specifically doing to insure the ongoing success and expansion of the Alberta Aviation Museum with the closure of the City Centre Airport and the damage it will cause to the facility?

I have been directed to ask on behalf of the boards of this facility.

Thomas Hinderks
    Executive Director
    Alberta Aviation Museum

You've been directed to ask? That kind of mixes candidate and business spokesman. How unusual.
    If you are voted in where would your loyalties lie? Would you close the airport if the Ward wanted it closed?

I've been to the museum and liked it. And I'm sure it would be kept. Of course planes couldn't fly in if the runway was gone. But there might be a chance to expand the collection before it would close, if it closes..

Terry

"You've been directed to ask? That kind of mixes candidate and business spokesman."

Yes it does, but no more than if I was driving cab I would be a Cab Driver and Candidate.

I am employed by the Aviation Museum at the moment and as such I do my duty to the best of my ability...its my responsibility.

If elected I would not be the Executive Director of the Museum and not directed by them...I would be directed and represent the residents of Ward 2 and if they voted to close the Airport I would support it...it would be my responsibility.

Tom

Terry, I'll toss out a question so you don't have to keep talking to yourself.

If elected as a member of council, who would you like to work with in the mayor's office, and why?

Well, that gets into personalities, and a candidate isn't supposed to go there.

But...

Last week I was canvassing "someplace" unannounced and walked into a room full of people who were waiting for someone. They said "here he is" then "no that's not him". Turns out they were waiting for Dorward to speak, and he was right behind me. I introduced myself and he brought me in and let me hand out flyers and speak to the crowd.

There's no hard facts there, but it was nice of him.

I just returned from the Mayors Debate. There were some surprisingly good speeches and ideas there from most candidates. Two had their choo-choos come off the tracks. A couple had good starts then went bad.
    A fellow near me yelled out comments now and then, such as 'that's right', or 'shame!'. Halfway through Dorwards' speech he yells out 'OBAMA!'. Everyone broke up.
    Mandel spoke first, then got the short end of the pointy stick.

Many people said that several would have made great councilors.

One of the handouts, from the Labour Congress, says that only 1 candidate per ward supports working families. Apparently I hate working families. And clean water. And Education.
    I've been lamenting closed schools since Day One but I don't support Education, they say. What a crock. And I'll bet I've done more labour and been in more Unions than the ones who put the pamphlet together.

Rant Number Two

I just read a flyer from an opponent. Kind of strange to have a new flyer so late. But there were some good ideas....
    Probably because they were MY ideas, straight from my site and here, put in point form. Schools closing, community leagues, infill housing and more. And what wasn't taken from me came from other candidates. I heard Dromarsky speak of some last night, and they are in his thread weeks ago.
    Previously the airport project was his answer to every ill. Now it isn't even mentioned. So either he's swaying with the breeze or faking it.
    I guess imitation is the sincerest form of desperation. He's got nothing to say, and wants to improve things by cheating his way to victory.

As Shakespeare said: "A Rolls by any other name...is still a Rolls."

First One is Always Free

Mr. Rolls, perhaps if your signs were on people's lawns (with their permission) they wouldn't go missing? I have watched your signs fly across 82nd Street during rush hour traffic. There's still one survivor at around 129 Avenue but I expect if the wind picks up, it too will take flight.

With respect to the Edmonton and District Labour Council endorsements, I think you need to put some things in perspective. They can only endorse one candidate per ward. (I understand they endorsed nobody in Ward 2). This doesn't mean that the other candidates are anti-anything. Perhaps the fact that you don't even know if you are a member of the Teamsters Union (you posted this above) might have something to do with the fact that labour didn't endorse you. I don't know this, of course, but it might be salient.

No questions today as I've made my decisions about voting already, but thought I'd just offer my observation as an engaged Ward 7 voter.

Regards.
    Play nice.

All candidates have signs on public property, and have permission to do so. And they all seem to have the same little metal legs on them. So why would any one candidates fly around more than the other? The signs I have on private property have never disappeared.

Now there are passerby who pull anyones sign. But when ALL the signs except one candidates are GONE, and gone repeatedly, then that's no random act. Maybe it's an artiste who only likes one colour combination. But I don't think so.

For me the sign problem ended a week ago. I got pro-active and problem solving, and created some Super-Signs. Using recycled materials such as snow fence poles and plywood, a prototype was made and put in a hot zone. It lasted for a few days. They couldn't pull out the pole but they tore the plywood right off the screws and took it.
    This also proved it wasn't the wind or a random passerby.
    The weak points were modified and a few dozen have been field tested for over a week now. The only problem is I have no idea how to get them out.

Why must the Edmonton and District Labour Council endorse one candidate? Why not two? Or four? It's an insult to dozens of candidates of every Ward.

I was a Teamster, but still get newsletters. Maybe once a Teamster, always a Teamster? And AUPE, CUPE, and a few others. I'm not ashamed of doing actual work. Are you saying that a Labour Board would be against Union Workers, or are you?

Sunday Oct 17 2010

Well, this is it. The end of the longest job application I ever had. All day, every day, for a month or more. Did I impress the bosses?

I ran a clean campaign, but fought back when attacked. I ran a good campaign, with the budget I had.
    Many of the solutions I brought up have been adopted by others. So they agree the people must like them. But would they stick to them or just fall back into old habits? For three years there was no contact with the people. Will anything change?

Redevelopment of older areas is the vital key to avoiding slums. When a school closes that area is on a one way street toward the ghetto. If enrollment drops at a school, it's a sign to re-do the neighborhood, not shut the school.
    Incentives like lower taxes for older neighborhoods and grant programs would help rebuild for young families, and keep the area pleasant for current residents.

Community Leagues also need to adapt to be more useful to the people that surround them. A few do nothing at all, and get paid to do it.

Some candidates don't live in the Ward and keep preaching about mega-projects outside the Ward. Meanwhile there are many empty lots, closed businesses, and projects that have been stalled for years, such as the Gretzky/Yellowhead area.

Instead, projects like an Arena or the Airport get pushed by the press.
    The Arena should be paid for by rich people, not the poor. The Airport should have the input of the people. It's too big to have a few businessmen decide on our land use. Sure they had the legal right to ignore the petition. But it takes a long time to get the public working together. And when they do, they got ignored.
    How about putting the arena at the airport?

Epcor, owned by Edmonton, had its' assets sold to another company with the same Board. They say nothing funny is involved. But then why do it? There's something funky there.

I have been to other forums and heard many speak out that it is a time of greater involvement by the people, and a time to take back our city for the benefit of ourselves.

Ward 7 is a working persons area. I was blue collar for many years and I'm not ashamed of it. Yet I've also worked in Government many years and know how it works.
    Many years ago I had a summer job as a garbage-man. I still know how to clean out the garbage.
    Last edited by Terry Rolls; 17-10-2010 at 09:37 AM.

Well, I guess I got my butt kicked. With the polls coming in I'm at about 10% of Caterina.

It's embarrassing and somewhat humiliating, after all the effort I put into it. I'm just slightly above Pullishy, who was invisible.

And yet my policies, statements, and ideas were important, mooched by others, and led to damage control by many in power.
    Now with the old guard back in, I suppose they will whither and die on the vine.

I didn't connect with the typical voter, who still appears to be retired people. They didn't know me, and usually vote safe. It takes a lot of work to get through to them, and I didn't get it done. They aren't web savvy, and I wasn't in the papers, and when I was the articles were taking little digs at me.
    As I look at this forum there is rarely a correlation between web popularity and votes. Even so my results are below par. If other candidates did worse than me I feel sorry for them. But, all together we raised the turnout to 41%. That's something I guess.

Tony ran a clean campaign, had the benefit of being incumbent, and dumb luck, with other candidates fighting amongst themselves for 2nd place. Better the devil you know....

Meanwhile the 'media darling' did dirty tricks, grabbed platforms from others, and chased votes any way possible, because he says Tony C wasn't nice. So long Pumpkinhead, I'm glad you lost. You gave up everything and got nothing. And spent way more than me.

And just to round it out, I don't think Van Alstine will ever win in this ward. It's too blue collar.

I want to thank those who helped me and those who had the faith to vote for me. I'm sorry I didn't do more for you. I hate failing. TerryRolls

First One is Always Free

Mr. Rolls, I do not know you but you've touched me this morning. I've lost a few City Council election campaigns in my life and it's a pretty awful feeling the next day but please know that you have nothing to be humiliated about or embarrassed by. You did your best. If you know that, then keep your head high, lick your wounds, go take your signs down and find a way to channel your energy that will do some good in our communities. I know you are quite passionate about community leagues. Why don't you give yours another chance. All of the leagues are run by volunteers and I'm sure they could find a place to use your skills and your energy. If that's not up your alley, try the Bigs, they always need good people to help (Big Brothers/Big Sisters) and there is always another youth in our city that could benefit from someone who cares about them, even if it is just for an hour a week.

Thank you for putting it on the line for all of us, Mr. Rolls. No, you didn't get my vote but that doesn't mean that I don't value your efforts. I do and I know that there are many others who do, too. It is appreciated. Take care.
    Play nice.

Thanks for your kind words. I think about 40 candidates could profit by them as well.

My signs were collected first thing Tuesday morning. I won that race anyway. About 72 are missing, presumed dead.

It was an interesting month. I woke up early every day and felt involved in something useful and important. I could read on this forum that others felt that way as well. I'm having withdrawal symptoms now and the immediate future seems so hum-drum.

I have a hard time understanding the voters. It seems they see the people who have the job as the 'boss' and just show support for them. At the Mayors forum, Mandel was blasted by all, while people cheered. And yet he got back in easily. The people on the web, the people at forums, and the people that vote are three different groups.
    I called this a job application. It really does seem to be one. You wait until 'the boss' retires and the one who has run most often gets the position. That's how Caterina got in, and most others.
    But it seems to be missing the point of democracy.
    Voter turnout went up from 27% to 34.3%. Not much to brag about. And nothing changed, except for a few new faces. Good luck to them. But next time people will say 'what's the point?'

My campaign had several problems. Posters were late and pricey. Flyer delivery was spotty, and my message had a dull edge. And I was a public unknown. Don't be an unknown. Be a media darling.

I guess I'll be doing something. I'm resilient if nothing else. I have no idea right now what that will be. But as another Austrian says;

I'll Be Back.