Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Decoteau Park - 105st and 102ave

We're a couple million urban-minded people short of being able to support a Times Square, Picadilly Circus or even Dundas in Toronto.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Long Term Contributor

Igniters- urban parks are for residents more than visitors... they are our front porch, our backyards. Not only that but they diffuse the harshness of many urban environments and create a welcomed break in the typical (future for Edm) rush rush downtown lifestyle.

The warehouse dist needs a good urban park as does the west half of the 'downtown'.

You would be surprised at how much more livable a place is/feels with something like that there.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IGNITERS View Post
    Isn't the downtown ALLREADY Tranquil ?....if thats what we are after we can all just wait for the clock to hit 7 pm lol

I think downtown needs a TIME SQUARE or a PICIDILLY CIRCUS!
    It needs speakers hanging from doorways ,24 hour coffee shops and delis,flashing lights...a movie theatre,gaudy advertising ...yes I suppose a tim hortens lol,beat cops and transit service in and outta there at all hours.

As much as a another park would save people the 3 block walk to the MASSIVE river valley or legislative or churchhill square etc it seems to me that it would have the impact of a casket at a bridal shower ....
    The phrase lets go downtown ...it's so tranquil should never be something to aspire to lol
    Sorry , I know I go on about this but as much as there are people in need of a park there is probably thousands that could care less about a park downtown and somebody has to be the advocate for change that instills activity in our sleepy core .
    Investments like this spure development which lead to what your wanting... Your putting the horse before the cart me thinks.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Igniters: did it occur to you that the picture might have been taken at a quiet moment for the park? From the light I'm getting an early morning vibe, perhaps the photographer intended/took care to capture it empty of people.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^no, but it could... although I think i'd prefer it closer to the residential area of the warehouse area.

^^not sure, looks Appalachiany or perhaps Portlandy?
    That park is Quebec City

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=quebec+...ed=0CDAQ8gEwAA

Addicted to C2E

Default occur

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    Igniters: did it occur to you that the picture might have been taken at a quiet moment for the park? From the light I'm getting an early morning vibe, perhaps the photographer intended/took care to capture it empty of people.

Yes of coarse ....but thats not the only thing that occurs to me regarding this issue .

Isn't the downtown ALLREADY Tranquil ?....if thats what we are after we can all just wait for the clock to hit 7 pm lol

I think downtown needs a TIME SQUARE or a PICIDILLY CIRCUS!
    It needs speakers hanging from doorways ,24 hour coffee shops and delis,flashing lights...a movie theatre,gaudy advertising ...yes I suppose a tim hortens lol,beat cops and transit service in and outta there at all hours.

As much as a another park would save people the 3 block walk to the MASSIVE river valley or legislative or churchhill square etc it seems to me that it would have the impact of a casket at a bridal shower ....
    The phrase lets go downtown ...it's so tranquil should never be something to aspire to lol
    Sorry , I know I go on about this but as much as there are people in need of a park there is probably thousands that could care less about a park downtown and somebody has to be the advocate for change that instills activity in our sleepy core .
    I think the type of activity you are wanting downtown doesn't have a lot to do with this particular subject, yet I understand what your motivation is. That type of nightlife, busy streets, activity or whatever else you want comes from a certain amount of density and attraction to the core by others in the city. We have yet to see that density in our core. To attract investment and people to live downtown requires the right infrastructure being in place, including this small "community park". It is essential that this amenity be in place if you are to encourage more people to live downtown, and be attracted to the area. As most condo and apartment dwellers do not have a back yard, this park is just that more essential. We are thinking long-term here, the warehouse area of downtown being a great place to live now, or in the future when there is even more density and investment.

The example you give about London is a good one - what allows 12 million people to all live in a small area civilly is the amount of pocket parks and other parks...they are literally everywhere. The warehouse area or MacKay residential area of downtown should not be treated in any less manner than any other residential neighbourhood in the city. It is of course different in character, but it doesn't make the necessity for the park and greenspace any less important. In fact, I would argue, it makes it all the more critical to the future success and desirability of this area.
    www.decl.org

How about one fun feature for kids. Doesn't have to be traditional playground equipment, make it interesting and fun. Beaver Hill has some fun kid features - rocks for walking across through the stream/pond, including the pedal art. What about a labyrinth?

Quote Originally Posted by mom2five View Post
    How about one fun feature for kids. Doesn't have to be traditional playground equipment, make it interesting and fun. Beaver Hill has some fun kid features - rocks for walking across through the stream/pond, including the pedal art. What about a labyrinth?
    If you mean a painted design on the ground that encourages a person to walk a meditative path, then I think that's an excellent idea! If we're talking a raised hedge like a garden maze, I fear it would quickly become Rock Smoker's Nook
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Painted on concrete, outlined in natural rubber brick, outlined in natural/prairie grass (See Riverdale School Naturescape, which won an Emerald Award, although that may be too delicate for a downtown setting http://www.riverdalians.net/naturescape.php), or check out this one, a Works installation at Louise McKinney. http://tinyurl.com/4egna4h

I'd rather C2E than work!

every time i see this thread in my subscriptions I think of a clip in a gatorade commerial where people are playing soccer in what appears to be a small urban park (surrounded by high rises and mid-rise condos). That's the vision I get for a park downtown. If there's room, I'd like to see something like that encouraging people to be active instead of park benches and flowers.

That's just me though. Maybe a soccer field surrounded by a waist-height hedge and some trees? benches along the sidewalk as well as facing the field.

Granted we're not huge on soccer, but a substitute that isn't a hockey rink could do the trick.

Partially Addicted to C2E

It is amusing to me that IanO asks for input from the forum and subsequently shoots downs 90% of the ideas. Must be a frustrating guy to work with.

^trust me, he is a total jackass.
    www.decl.org

Following the (wildly succesful and incredibly well organized) DECL meeting last night I have a better understanding that this is intended as a neighbourhood park.

So, depending on how much size it takes up, summer soccar field, winter ice rink I could see.

Some park benches and a barbecue pit might be nice as few of us who live downtown have the equivilent of a backyard - but yes, I can see the downside.

Having met downtown peeps who, gasp, have children, I can also see some playground equipment. Before you get all hot and bothered - check out Strathcona community league. Now there's a child's play area as installation art - and I mean that!

And hedges, ala Garneau Tennis Club? YES please.
    ... gobsmacked

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

When can we expect work to begin on this?

... Fall if we are lucky, but it got complicated.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Oh? Complicated? in Edmonton, imagine that.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quick Update:

The park development process had been stalled while the City Manager reorganized the departments. For a time, Parks and Community Services were unsure where the land would end up and did not want to proceed with the rezoning until they were certain they had the authority to do so. Now that things are settled, the rezoning of the land into a park should proceed.

The next step is to complete the Public Input Process (PIP) and engage the City's Landscape Architect to start working on the design (based on public input from the surveys, input from stakeholders, and input from the Scott Property Steering Committee). This should occur in early September.

Next will be finding funding to develop the park. Councillor Jane Batty has been helpful and directing us to the Park Development Program, but this park development program does not allow much flexibility in public input, as Parks would dictate what would and wouldn't be done on the site. We do not see this as a viable option unless something changes. There will have to be further discussions to clarify what our funding opportunities are. Whether or not the proposed CRL plays into this has yet to be determined.

In the meantime, we are working to get everyone excited about this new park, as this is a top priority for DECL. IanO is working with the ONE Vibrancy Committee and garnering support from the DBA and others, as this a critical amenity necessary to encouraging a more livable and family-friendly downtown.
    www.decl.org

Robert Hammond, co-founder of the Friends of the High Line, talks about the value of public spaces and what can be achieved by community engagement - http://www.ted.com/talks/robert_hamm...n_the_sky.html
    www.decl.org

We had an update last night. The rezoning has started, albeit just. A Phase 1 ESA is happening this fall. Initial budget has been established. We, DECL, now have to do a little more on our public involvement plan, but have done an initial one with residents. We also need to establish some top priorities, coming out of our survey. Terms of reference are done.

Basically a little more consultation, ESA, rezone, get some concepts done, get more support from council and then with a little luck, some dirt work late next summer. Likely 2 phases.
    www.decl.org

Great work, Ian. Can't wait to see this take shape.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Addicted to C2E

So it's official?
    .........what a waste of prime real estate IMO

^^ me as well.

NOT official in the sense of approved rezoning, but the land is set aside for our new warehouse park and it is moving forward.

You are kidding right? Great location for an urban park that will cater to the warehouse district. Build on the BP's lands
    www.decl.org

.........what a waste of prime real estate IMO
    You might think so, but just for background - the real estate was donated to the City. Also, it's not intended as a city park, but as the community league location for the Downtown Edmonton Community League.

I'm having a little trouble getting my head around it too - but very interested none-the-less.
    ... gobsmacked

Any chance to put a basketball court or even a hoop here?

Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    That wasn't in the priority list, but since it's a small site, not sure every 'wish' on our wish list can be accommodated. But I guess it depends on the amount of hard surfaces. This will eventually integrate with the LRT stop directly south of the park, so there may be opportunity for something more temporary (for summer, or DECL events, etc.) There are already basketball hoops at Churchill Square, although I realize this is not an actual court.
    www.decl.org

how about a pickle ball court as well
    Just paint and a net
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    That wasn't in the priority list, but since it's a small site, not sure every 'wish' on our wish list can be accommodated. But I guess it depends on the amount of hard surfaces. This will eventually integrate with the LRT stop directly south of the park, so there may be opportunity for something more temporary (for summer, or DECL events, etc.) There are already basketball hoops at Churchill Square, although I realize this is not an actual court.
    Hahah you're right. Do people use the Churchill Square hoops much? I don't think I've ever seen any outside of events.

^not sure how much, but sipping joe at 3 Bananas I have seen them in use multiple times.
    www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

I'm regularly in the Square at different times of the day and the hoops are almost always being used. There's an asian lady who regularly shoots baskets and while she may not be a Grads alumnus, she's definitely not a young woman. She's pretty good.

always people playing at lunch. Same with the chess board and ping pong table. Unfortunately not in the rain.

I would LOVE to see something like this incorporated into a park!!!

(http://www.contemporist.com/wp-conte..._300811_01.jpg)

I'm not sure if this would fit the aesthetics of 105th st. Maybe this could work in the other park COE plans for the warehouse district.

We can be extremely bold and add something along these lines:

(http://www.contemporist.com/wp-conte..._270911_01.jpg)

(http://www.contemporist.com/wp-conte..._120711_02.jpg)

(http://www.contemporist.com/wp-conte..._120711_04.jpg)

(http://www.contemporist.com/wp-conte..._240611_01.jpg)

(http://www.contemporist.com/wp-conte..._240611_13.jpg)

(http://www.contemporist.com/wp-conte...g170111_04.jpg

And check out these benches, they are really unique: http://www.toxel.com/inspiration/201...nique-benches/
    We would share and listen and support and welcome, be propelled by passion not invest in outcomes. We would breathe and be charmed and amused by difference. -Alanis Morissette

^Thanks for the pictures CalvinTheHobbs, I'll pass them along to the steering committee
    www.decl.org

Haven't got a picture but there's a visually beautiful neighbourhood park about a block from Oliver rink/pool/community league.

On the minus side, I've rarely seen more than one or two people actually using it.
    ... gobsmacked

^as in the new park next to the late 50s school?
    www.decl.org

We will have initial concept renderings of the Scott Property Park at our AGM on Tuesday at Yellowhead Brewery for viewing! Hopefully we can release some images shortly after.

http://www.decl.org/2012/04/18/annua...-meeting-2012/
    www.decl.org

They were definitely a good starting point for discussion purposes.
    www.decl.org

Grainy, but images presented last night by our LA for comment and feedback.

www.decl.org

Family commitments kept me away, so my apologies (okay, I might have made last call!).

Seems to my jaundiced eye - a bunch more concrete. What's with all the intersecting walkways?
    ... gobsmacked

That's my impression too...lots of concrete, little greenery, no waterworks
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^It's actually more elegant than these images. We'll get better ones on there soon. Remember, it's an urban park, but there is plenty of greenery and lawn area once you see the plan up close.
    www.decl.org

One aspect I like is the one diagonal walkway connecting the SW corner of the lot to the NE; people will cut across a park (esp a corner lot like this) when they're in a hurry, this acknowledges that.

Want to know more about the community garden.

Aren't those blue triangles water features?
    Last edited by Dialog; 16-05-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Correct. Keep in mind we want a balance of grass, garden and hard surface for events.
    www.decl.org

What's that area just to the north of the community garden?

Looks great from what I can see.

Service access... which may or may not be required.

Again, very conceptual. Be sure to let us at DECL (www.decl.org) know or post feedback here.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    Aren't those blue triangles water features?
    Yes. One may also be a spray deck for kids. Another may be a small dog area. All in discussions.
    www.decl.org

Tada

www.decl.org

OK, I approve!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

Looks good to me. Ok let's build it. =)
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Better. Like the 3D relief connecting the water features. spray area v. good. Cafe excellent!

Still think there's one too many parallel runways (snigger), but still a HUGE improvement over the gravel parking lot that's there now.
    ... gobsmacked

Thanks for the feedback. We will be incorporating any and all into our next round of concepts/meetings.
    www.decl.org

can you show the lighting plan ?
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Partially Addicted to C2E

Looks nice.
    My only criticism is that it does not seem to be designed with families in mind.
    I didn't expect a suburban family park, but I did expect something that reflected the courting of families downtown.
    Perhaps something as simple as moving the Cafe to the east to front the street, could open up a small play area between the cafe and the garden (on the west side) that would be sheltered from traffic and create a safe place for kids to play as their parents watch from the cafe.
    Again I'm not suggesting a suburban playground, but a climbing sculpture, or other such multi use structure could work.

^nail on head. Not reflected yet, but we have in mind something like climbable art or moveable/playful art so that kids and adults can enjoy something different.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    can you show the lighting plan ?
    We are still very much in concept stage, but plan to have some creative or unique lighting.
    www.decl.org

love the design, the trees fronting the street separating the sidewalk from the vehicles, the location is perfect with the new LRT station

please keep the community garden, it gives nearby apartment dwellers an opportunity to grow vegetables and fruits

looks like there is ample seating, interesting context with the coloured sidewalks

the green space, and trees are great

yes please try to incorporate features to make it family friendly, without adding gaudy plastic toys or such, include natural (nature) aspects that can be used by children to climb and be creative

please, please, please do not forget to provide bike parking, and please provide more than one rack, at least enough parking for 20 bikes

the patio space for the cafe is a must as well!

I like the openess of the park, making it seem like an extension of the sidewalk

'please keep the community garden, it gives nearby apartment dwellers an opportunity to grow vegetables and fruits'

It is very much a priority for us. Out President is a green thumber.

Good call on the bike parking, will do.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by 7 View Post
    Looks nice.
    My only criticism is that it does not seem to be designed with families in mind.
    I didn't expect a suburban family park, but I did expect something that reflected the courting of families downtown.
    Perhaps something as simple as moving the Cafe to the east to front the street, could open up a small play area between the cafe and the garden (on the west side) that would be sheltered from traffic and create a safe place for kids to play as their parents watch from the cafe.
    Again I'm not suggesting a suburban playground, but a climbing sculpture, or other such multi use structure could work.
    I would keep the cafe where it is. You don't want sightlines blocked especially where a children's area is concerned. It can be sheltered from traffic by simply locating it away from the sidewalks.

Also, it needs a statue, perhaps right at the street corner.

Not "a statue", "statues" plural...our parks need more statues and sculptures and public art.

Adult sized playground equipment. You'd be surprised how many adults would play in a playground if it was built to scale. Plus bigger equipment doesn't necessarily keep kids from using it either.

^^ Yup. We are hoping to have something along those lines, perhaps not in phase 1, but there will be opportunity.

Bingo! I love running into playful art installations.
    www.decl.org

First One is Always Free

Default modernist and bad use of spaces.

Lose the community garden and the weird edmonton modernist feel. What is it with edmonton that says everything has to be weird modern diagonal sharp design?? It looks like something that would fit between two hospitals or a ugly residence on Grant Mac campus.

And lose the community garden. Im sorry but this is a TINY park and you need to allocate 1/6th of it so that what 10 to 12 apartments worth of people can grow some veggies? in edmonton where your lucky to get 12 tomatoes from 6 plants in 6 months? And that means everyone else has to look at scraggly unkept planter boxes for the rest of the year? what a waste.

Just do something like Emery Barnes park in Van or St James park in Toronto or ANY of the parks in Chicago or New York. Its not that hard. Stop re inventing the wheel just because you need something to do.

highlander

I agree with I haggis on the community plots. In a permanent park where land and parks are scarce that's essentially privatizing high demand land, usually for free and Long term. If it absolutely must be done, have the plots redistributed by lottery every few years.

On the other hand, adoptable flower beds or even fruit trees would give downtown dwellers the chance to play in the dirt without monopolizing the real estate.

And i second the bike parking. There's never enough anywhere downtown. The curb extensoins shown are a great location.

Love emery barnes and St James. Both will be used as inspiration. We had a good amount of requests for a garden and it will put people in the park at various hours.
    www.decl.org

highlander

Then make sure that the plots do not become a free perpetual entitlement for the few who get one. Either charge a market rate, or re- distribute but random draw every few years. Or both.

Remember that those requesting the plots are expecting to get one themselves, and not thinking about the best possible park.

A system similar to 'Our Urban Eden' or the like would definitely need to be put into place.
    www.decl.org

First One is Always Free

Default against it

the veggie garden is out of place. essentially you want it there because your president of the downtown community league is a green thumb. they are a waste of space and you live in EDMONTON. veggies do grow here. thats why everything in the sobeys is from california or bc or ontario. use that space as a open lawn, tables for gathering and chess or checkers. a open patio folding chairs space like bryant park in NY. there are infinite better ways to use it than unkempt private gardens for the people planning the park. its a clear conflict of interest, its selfish, and it doesn't have the best interests of EVERYONE in downtown. i am totally against them

I see nothing wrong with community gardens as long as they are managed right. There's a large one just off Bellamy Hill that's operated for years without complaint.

http://www.edmonton.ca/environmental...y-gardens.aspx

Community gardens bring many benefits to Edmontonians.

• Provide recreation for young and old
    • Make neighbourhoods more beautiful
    • Produce healthy food
    • Create community spirit
    • Share gardening knowledge and experience

Quote Originally Posted by IHaggis View Post
    the veggie garden is out of place. essentially you want it there because your president of the downtown community league is a green thumb. they are a waste of space and you live in EDMONTON. veggies do grow here. thats why everything in the sobeys is from california or bc or ontario. use that space as a open lawn, tables for gathering and chess or checkers. a open patio folding chairs space like bryant park in NY. there are infinite better ways to use it than unkempt private gardens for the people planning the park. its a clear conflict of interest, its selfish, and it doesn't have the best interests of EVERYONE in downtown. i am totally against them
    The community garden was identified as a priority in the surveys and stakeholder consultation we've done to date for this 'community park', intended to serve the residents of the Warehouse Campus area. In fact, this area of the park may be leased community land, and in that case, would be up to the community league and its members to decide if it is an appropriate use.

Residents of downtown and the community league are strong supporters of the City Market and it's food vendors, an important connnection between urban and rural. Having said that, there is a strong, 'growing' (pardon the pun) appetite for gardening and food production in Edmonton and from residents. Our Urban Eden Community Garden on Bellamy Hill is always over subscribed and has a waiting list. We think it appropriate this community park have a small section given to residents of the Warehouse Campus Area that want to grow some of their own food in an urban setting.

This park is not to be confused with the larger 'district' park identified in the Capital City Downtown Plan for south of this park and to encompass a much larger area and be more recreational in nature.
    www.decl.org

It should be noted that Our Urban Eden Community Garden was the first project of the new downtown community association (DECA), identified by the community members themselves as a priority project and once of the formative reasons we have a league today! Community gardens ARE community - especially in an urban setting where most people do not have a yard!
    Last edited by GreenSPACE; 22-05-2012 at 08:57 PM.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I see nothing wrong with community gardens as long as they are managed right. There's a large one just off Bellamy Hill that's operated for years without complaint.

http://www.edmonton.ca/environmental...y-gardens.aspx

Community gardens bring many benefits to Edmontonians.

• Provide recreation for young and old
    • Make neighbourhoods more beautiful
    • Produce healthy food
    • Create community spirit
    • Share gardening knowledge and experience
    Bingo
    www.decl.org

There are a number of community gardens here and there throughout Edmonton. They are uber-great ideas.

BUT, not sure the proposed garden at 105/102 won't be subject to a lot of late night raiding, so to speak. That might feed hungry people - but might also discourage future gardners.

I'd love to be wrong, but am dubious.
    ... gobsmacked

^we will definitely be looking into ways to address this issue....
    www.decl.org

Current site

www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    There are a number of community gardens here and there throughout Edmonton. They are uber-great ideas.

BUT, not sure the proposed garden at 105/102 won't be subject to a lot of late night raiding, so to speak. That might feed hungry people - but might also discourage future gardners.

ways like what? 24hr rent-a-cops? I have a work acquaintance who tried to grow in the relatively new Oliver area garden that went in a few years ago - they opted not to even try this year given the damage/theft previously encountered. Notwithstanding the overall area is too small to allocate space for garden plots for a select interest segment.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    This park is not to be confused with the larger 'district' park identified in the Capital City Downtown Plan for south of this park and to encompass a much larger area and be more recreational in nature.
    Are you aware of a C2E thread that provides details of this larger area recreational focused park? Address location? Timeline for completion?

^It's in the plan. Don't know if there's a thread or not.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post

ways like what? 24hr rent-a-cops? I have a work acquaintance who tried to grow in the relatively new Oliver area garden that went in a few years ago - they opted not to even try this year given the damage/theft previously encountered. Notwithstanding the overall area is too small to allocate space for garden plots for a select interest segment.
    Our Urban Eden has almost no theft or vandalism. Just a growing pain. The garden will be part of the community leased land.
    www.decl.org

^ could be, I'd love to be wrong.

But 105 and 102 isn't a spot amid the trees, the valley, et al (and there's wild asparagus I hear somewhere above Victoria Golf Course). It's out in the open.

And an urban gardener I know, somewhere east of DT let's say, says there are garden raids often - in a fenced off area.

Now, they do persevere, so maybe ...
    ... gobsmacked

If they can do these downtown Vancouver, Seattle, Manhattan, Toronto etc... you can do them here. We have considered a few different options and will work to ensure it is as secure as possible without making it into a vault.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

^
    Is that Edmonton?
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

^ Pincoober by the looks of it

Vancouver indeed.
    www.decl.org

I don't understand why those that want a garden spot that size don't just buy a condo with south exposure and put it on their balcony. I could put 5 of those on my old balcony, no risk of theft or need to share.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Community aspect. We see this, similar to Our Urban Eden, as a cornerstone and destination for community activity and visibility. Eyes on the park is another key piece.
    www.decl.org

Could swear there's a couple of dozen police cars parked right behind that garden! Might this one have slightly better 24/7 security than the corner of 105 street and 102 ave?
    ... gobsmacked

You want security for the community garden? Scarecrow po po:

Using CPTED security concerns will be mitigated. Check out this design primer by Project for Public Spaces:

http://www.pps.org/reference/what-ro...g-safer-parks/

Our Urban Eden has no fence and vandalism/theft is minimal to non-existent. In fact, we have more theft from members than the general public.
    www.decl.org

Meeting now to continue pushing this forward.
    www.decl.org

^Any updates from the meeting?
    We would share and listen and support and welcome, be propelled by passion not invest in outcomes. We would breathe and be charmed and amused by difference. -Alanis Morissette

Going to approach 10-12 direct neighbours of the parcel to get letters of support. We have asked our CRC to talk with their bosses about getting the rezoning and ESA 1 done. CRL money will likely provide the capital dollars and so we are awaiting that as well.
    www.decl.org

Same CRL slated for new arena? Or does this fall into a different zone?

^yup.. same
    www.decl.org

First One is Always Free

LOVE the fact that this proposal exists and that it is rooted in reality. This area needs the green space. Also, given the choice between a water spray area and a dog run, I would choose the dog run, mostly for personal reasons.

I think the water feature is too close to two busy roads......kids playing in the water...close too roads. Bad idea. Move it back from the corner. Kids chasing each other with water; which is what they like to do.

A/the potential water feature is not a spray park and would not be intended to wade in, but rather a fountain or reflecting pool. These can be great and provide white noise.
    www.decl.org

Terraced steps too the water will lead people too it and they will go in. Blocks in water and renderings show people on block and in water.....??

Hopefully the waterfall feature (if included), will face the park, and be of subsequent scale to provide that white noise. That little water fountain on the NW corner of Jasper and 99 street looks stupid.

Impact man! The current plan is blah! The sausage park in Mundare is more exciting,,,,,,,

^keep in mind that this was early conceptual work to reflect feedback from our open houses. It likely will look much different.
    www.decl.org

That corner, and area, really needs a boost of Veg. Hopefully there is a suficient enough of a buget to be creative.

Does this project qualify for the 1% for art?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast