Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Decoteau Park - 105st and 102ave

C2E Long Term Contributor

^We have no budget at the moment, but have engaged the neighbour west, Artshab, to work with us on public art.

We want to ensure we have some green space, some seating, some vegetation and a community garden.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by stinger11 View Post
    Terraced steps too the water will lead people too it and they will go in. Blocks in water and renderings show people on block and in water.....??

Hopefully the waterfall feature (if included), will face the park, and be of subsequent scale to provide that white noise. That little water fountain on the NW corner of Jasper and 99 street looks stupid.

Impact man! The current plan is blah! The sausage park in Mundare is more exciting,,,,,,,
    Hah! I'm from just outside Mundare to begin with Best damn sausage on the planet Mundare pride, yo!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^We have no budget at the moment, but have engaged the neighbour west, Artshab, to work with us on public art.

We want to ensure we have some green space, some seating, some vegetation and a community garden.
    I'm sure that you are aware of the costs for a freestanding art piece,,minimum $80K, to get anything interesting. I'm a honorary EAC member. 1% may not be enough.....

We plan to work public art into the project in multiple forms.
    www.decl.org

With the River valley so close I just don't understand the argument that our downtown is some kind of urban wasteland. Another park might be nice, but its hardly a necessity to break up downtown...especially give how they basically sit fallow for most of the year given our climate.

Because not everyone get into the river valley. And the river valley is no excuse for the rest of downtown to be a concrete jungle and lacking in greenspace.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Because not everyone get into the river valley.
    Oh, you mean like mobility impaired people who can't use the stairs or the paths down into it? That would be individuals who don't have say, a mobility scooter (or one that can go up inclines...I have to admit I don't know that much about them), but are still walking but with assistance. Yeah, I could see that being hard for them.

And the river valley is no excuse for the rest of downtown to be a concrete jungle and lacking in greenspace.
    Actually, it kind of is. It may not be a good excuse and that is why we debate about it (such as the value of the greenspace versus more dense development) but it is an excuse.

^Please read the Capital City Downtown Plan for more reasoning.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...town-plan.aspx

There are lots of communities next to the river valley that have parks, community league spaces, school yards, etc. For downtown to be livable, it is no exception regarding greenspace. There is a lot of urban planning reasoning for this.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by TonyWochuk View Post
    With the River valley so close I just don't understand the argument that our downtown is some kind of urban wasteland. Another park might be nice, but its hardly a necessity to break up downtown...especially give how they basically sit fallow for most of the year given our climate.
    Neighborhood amenities such as parks are viral to strong inclusive communities. Green space, community gardens, art, meeting places are needed in more areas of the core, this will help with that.

Seriously, I shake my head at these kinds of comments.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    ^Please read the Capital City Downtown Plan for more reasoning.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...town-plan.aspx
    "Parks and open spaces are key to building a more environmentally and socially
    sustainable downtown. Greenery provided through parks helps to soften the hard edges of the urban downtown environment. Vegetation helps to remove airborne pollutants resulting in a cleaner Downtown. Most importantly, parks and plazas provide a venue for social interaction. They represent venue space for festivals and markets, special areas to enjoy physical activity, to catch up with friends and neighbours, to walk your dog, or simply to rest in quiet contemplation, all of which is especially important for Downtown residents that typically have little or no outdoor space of their own." - page 115

Is this what you are referring to?

There are lots of communities next to the river valley that have parks, community league spaces, school yards, etc. For downtown to be livable, it is no exception regarding greenspace. There is a lot of urban planning reasoning for this.
    Well, there are greenspaces. The question is kind of how close does it have to be for the goals it wants to achieve. "Liveable" is kind of too vague to be useful for figuring out what is necessary to achieve the goals behind the park development.

Neighborhood amenities such as parks are viral to strong inclusive communities. Green space, community gardens, art, meeting places are needed in more areas of the core, this will help with that.
    Sure, but I'm talking about the particular placement of a park. If there was no greenspace downtown, I'd agree that a park is required...but there is greenspace, so the question is whether this parks benefits outweigh the opportunity costs.

Seriously, I shake my head at these kinds of comments.
    Well, you did misunderstand what I was saying...

^Where are these greenspaces in the Warehouse Campus Area specifically?
    www.decl.org

^Where are these greenspaces in the Warehouse Campus Area specifically?
    I think you misunderstood my point.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Your point would appear to be that there are green spaces downtown, and therefore more are not needed. So again, what green spaces are you referring to specifically in the central business or warehouse districts?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Your point would appear to be that there are green spaces downtown, and therefore more are not needed.
    Wrong. Its that there is plenty of available greenspace nearby, so we need to really ask if the opportunity cost of other development there is worth the cost of a park that will primarily be used in the summer (to whatever degree it is used). Parks can be good development (and are better than parking lots), but that doesn't mean that they are necessary every certain number of steps apart. In our climate, the River Valley is a much more useful greenspace than an urban park in terms of use. That doesn't mean that an urban park isn't useful, but its not self-evident in every case.

So again, what green spaces are you referring to specifically in the central business or warehouse districts?
    The river valley. I wrote that already.

But since you are shrinking the space being talked about so you can try and make your point better there is also: Beaver Hills Park, that Melcor space on Jasper, the space across the street from city hall, the space in front of the hotel macdonald, the space in front of Grant MacEwan and generally a surprising number of trees all around downtown.

But since you are shrinking the space being talked about so you can try and make your point better there is also: Beaver Hills Park, that Melcor space on Jasper, the space across the street from city hall, the space in front of the hotel macdonald, the space in front of Grant MacEwan
    And hey, you know what? Most of these downtown parks you listed are well used during nice weather. People sit outside in the sun during their lunch breaks, hot dog vendor do a brisk business, community events take place. In these spaces, kids play, senior citizens socialize with each other, young ladies sunbathe, residents walk their dogs, and cyclists take a break. Basically, the type of downtown street life that many people are advocating.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

'But since you are shrinking the space being talked about so you can try and make your point better there is also: Beaver Hills Park, that Melcor space on Jasper, the space across the street from city hall, the space in front of the hotel macdonald, the space in front of Grant MacEwan and generally a surprising number of trees all around downtown.'

-bhp decent space that needs some love
    -melcor is not a park and will be developed.
    -Churchill?
    -hotel Mac is not a park and owned by procura
    -not sure about you, but 104ave is not exactly the nicest place to relax.
    www.decl.org

The difference I think we are stating is the difference between nature space, and urban park space. They are both parks, but serving different purposes. I think you are both arguing for the same thing, but the criteria are different.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

^yes you are partly true. But some of this is just education on good urban planning best practices.

A few other points:
    - the last 10 years of drought and disease has killed off a lot of downtown urban trees and not being replaced as fast as they are dying
    - the greenspace/park we are advocating for will partly be a community league endeavor, like every other neighbourhood in the city
    - this, and the larger 'district' park in the Warehouse Campus Area are named as catalyst projects in the downtown plan for a reason. (Items we hope Council will support for CRL funding this week)
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

^Blammo. Thanks GreenSpace.

It will be a community league. Do follks have an issue with that?

Just that most community leagues also have a park-like feeling to them. This one maybe more than most.
    ... gobsmacked

^To be fair, will be a bit of both. Hope to have some 'quiet' green space, as well as area for community league garden. There will be a plaza up front connecting to the LRT, and maybe even a dog run for downtown dogs.
    www.decl.org

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

- the greenspace/park we are advocating for will partly be a community league endeavor, like every other neighbourhood in the city
    - this, and the larger 'district' park in the Warehouse Campus Area are named as catalyst projects in the downtown plan for a reason. (Items we hope Council will support for CRL funding this week)
    Every neighbourhood outside of downtown has at least one park catered to all ages, with a playground for kids, maybe an outdoor soccor or baseball field, and water features/toys. Rossdale, Mccauley, and Oliver are distinct neighbourhoods. It's a long distance over several major roads for a family from, say, the Icon buildings walking to Kitchener Park or Irene Parlby Park. Downtown could use a multi-purpose park. More people and families are moving downtown. With increased residential in the past 10 years, and the city amending bylaws to make the core friendlier for families, a multi-use park makes sense. On 107th street, it would change the dynamic of downtown. The 105th street park would also improve and bring life to a relatively dead and unexciting street in the core. Both of these can't come fast enough.

We have so many underdeveloped and undeveloped lots in the downtown neighborhood. 2 new parks are not unreasonable.
    We would share and listen and support and welcome, be propelled by passion not invest in outcomes. We would breathe and be charmed and amused by difference. -Alanis Morissette

^ A nearby park may also allow for more daycare spaces to be opened up in the core... as out door space is a requirement of such a facility.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

But since you are shrinking the space being talked about so you can try and make your point better there is also: Beaver Hills Park, that Melcor space on Jasper, the space across the street from city hall, the space in front of the hotel macdonald, the space in front of Grant MacEwan
    And hey, you know what? Most of these downtown parks you listed are well used during nice weather. People sit outside in the sun during their lunch breaks, hot dog vendor do a brisk business, community events take place. In these spaces, kids play, senior citizens socialize with each other, young ladies sunbathe, residents walk their dogs, and cyclists take a break. Basically, the type of downtown street life that many people are advocating.
    Ok, that's a bit of a caricature of what goes on but there certainly is some (even lots in some cases) of use of some of those spaces when the weather is good. I don't think I denied that. How does this relate to what I said?

'But since you are shrinking the space being talked about so you can try and make your point better there is also: Beaver Hills Park, that Melcor space on Jasper, the space across the street from city hall, the space in front of the hotel macdonald, the space in front of Grant MacEwan and generally a surprising number of trees all around downtown.'
    You know there is a quote function right?

Sure.

Not a publicaly owned one, and when?

-Churchill?
    Its a big public space, but I thought we were talking green spaces. If you want to include it, we can probably find some others.

So its only a park if publicaly owned?

So now the issue is that it isn't where you personally want it?

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    The difference I think we are stating is the difference between nature space, and urban park space. They are both parks, but serving different purposes. I think you are both arguing for the same thing, but the criteria are different.
    Is this directed towards me? Why aren't you using a quote. Why do people on this forum hate the quote function so much?

^yes you are partly true. But some of this is just education on good urban planning best practices.

A few other points:
    - the last 10 years of drought and disease has killed off a lot of downtown urban trees and not being replaced as fast as they are dying
    Then replace them faster. That is like saying "well, since this other thing that should be done isn't being done we need to do this other thing rather than fix the problem."

Will it? Also, so your issue is unrelated to green space but about building the community league's local control?

What is that reason? I think people use the word catalyst in this town because they think it makes money rain from the sky, not because they can particularly demonstrate why it will do what they say. Maybe you can explain why it applies to this park, but the word sure is thrown around a lot without thought.

Quote Originally Posted by CalanTheHobbs View Post
    Every neighbourhood outside of downtown has at least one park catered to all ages, with a playground for kids, maybe an outdoor soccor or baseball field, and water features/toys. Rossdale, Mccauley, and Oliver are distinct neighbourhoods. It's a long distance over several major roads for a family from, say, the Icon buildings walking to Kitchener Park or Irene Parlby Park. Downtown could use a multi-purpose park. More people and families are moving downtown. With increased residential in the past 10 years, and the city amending bylaws to make the core friendlier for families, a multi-use park makes sense. On 107th street, it would change the dynamic of downtown. The 105th street park would also improve and bring life to a relatively dead and unexciting street in the core. Both of these can't come fast enough.

We have so many underdeveloped and undeveloped lots in the downtown neighborhood. 2 new parks are not unreasonable.
    Again, I think you are exaggerating, but interesting point about trying to provide a service to families. Maybe a park could be of use in attracting them. Where is the 105th street one going. I think I missed that.

You know there is a quote function right?

Sure.

Not a publicaly owned one, and when?

-Churchill?
    Its a big public space, but I thought we were talking green spaces. If you want to include it, we can probably find some others.

So its only a park if publicaly owned?

So now the issue is that it isn't where you personally want it?
    Plazas/parks that are privately owned are wonderful, but in the case of melcor's lot and 100st/jasper, both have development plans and will be lost in part of full unless something changes.

Enjoy 104ave, I sure don't.

This is about establishing wonderful places for residents, workers, students and visitors. Go to Paris, NYC, London, Dublin, Tokyo, S.F., Van, Tor, Mtl.... etc. etc. etc.... they have plenty of beautiful public spaces/parks that make urban living palatable. They encourage community interaction, romance, play and solitude.

We desperately need more of these spaces and have an abundance of land downtown to forgo the opportunity cost of say a tower on that lot.

In my and many opinions, the real opportunity cost is NOT creating these spaces.
    www.decl.org

IIRC, the land was donated. Not sure if it was donated specifically to be home of the Downtown Edmonton Community League (DECL) or as parkland.

But it was donated and DECL is now charged with doing something with it.

I don't get this business of DT doesn't need parks. It's a community league. Surely DT, with 12k+ residents has a right to a community league?

And just as surely, it can decide whether that community league will have a hockey rink, tennis courts or dog run and community garden?

In the end, it will have whatever is needed to maintain a membership base that can pay the bills.

No?
    ... gobsmacked

The land was not donated, but rather sold by the Scott Brother's to the City for a reasonable sum. This was purchased to replace the 'park' that was disposed of on the arena lands.

It is not DECL's land, but the City's and DECL is simply heading up the push to get it developed and done so with a lot of community input.

A bit off there... this will be a City park that happens to be in the Downtown Edmonton Community League Boundaries. We will assist in programming/funding of some elements and potentially even some upkeep if there are things such as a community garden.
    www.decl.org

The land was not donated, but rather sold by the Scott Brother's to the City for a reasonable sum. This was purchased to replace the 'park' that was disposed of on the arena lands.

It is not DECL's land, but the City's and DECL is simply heading up the push to get it developed and done so with a lot of community input.

A bit off there... this will be a City park that happens to be in the Downtown Edmonton Community League Boundaries. We will assist in programming/funding of some elements and potentially even some upkeep if there are things such as a community garden.
    Specifically through the 'Partnership in Parks' agreement - ie. DECL or local residents take responsibility to some of the maintenance of the park, especially the garden component. The other option is that a tiny bit of the land is actually leased to DECL as part of the 'Tripartite agreement' between DECL, EFCL and the City for Community League infrastructure.

And Ian is correct. DECL has spearheaded the drive and lobbying effort to see this park developed, with the support and input of area stakeholders, some of which are involved in the Scott Property Park Steering Committee, of which, there is an Public Input Plan (PIP) and fits into the scope and direction of the award-winning Capital City Downtown Plan (CCDP)
    www.decl.org

Plazas/parks that are privately owned are wonderful, but in the case of melcor's lot and 100st/jasper, both have development plans and will be lost in part of full unless something changes.
    Well, I'm more of the I'll believe the development happens when it starts/is complete sort. There have been lots of plans over the years that go quite far along.

Other than that, sure, they'll be gone one day potentially. Not the only green space and certainly not the only public spaces.

Enjoy 104ave, I sure don't.
    I walk it all the time, but its a pretty big street. Its problems won't be solved by a park, but the space in front of Grant Mac is ok during the summer. Are you talking about the whole street now?

This is about establishing wonderful places for residents, workers, students and visitors.
    That's a nice thought, but doesn't really mean anything.

Go to Paris, NYC, London, Dublin, Tokyo, S.F., Van, Tor, Mtl.... etc. etc. etc.... they have plenty of beautiful public spaces/parks that make urban living palatable.
    And we have the river valley and some green space. Maybe one day we should have more or maybe we should have more now in certain spots, but make the argument with respect to Edmonton and stop looking to other communities without taking into context what there is here and how we live here.

They encourage community interaction, romance, play and solitude.
    I'm not really impressed by sales pitches, especially ones with contradictory claims.

We desperately need more of these spaces and have an abundance of land downtown to forgo the opportunity cost of say a tower on that lot.
    We desperately need the land why? For "romance"?

In my and many opinions, the real opportunity cost is NOT creating these spaces.
    Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    IIRC, the land was donated. Not sure if it was donated specifically to be home of the Downtown Edmonton Community League (DECL) or as parkland.

But it was donated and DECL is now charged with doing something with it.
    Interesting.

I don't get this business of DT doesn't need parks. It's a community league. Surely DT, with 12k+ residents has a right to a community league?
    Why does a community league mean park?

And just as surely, it can decide whether that community league will have a hockey rink, tennis courts or dog run and community garden?

In the end, it will have whatever is needed to maintain a membership base that can pay the bills.

No?
    Well, maybe. Depends on community involvement.

What park was that?

The MR parcel on the west side of the area lands.
    www.decl.org

Tony - are being a contrarian purposely? How about a beer?
    www.decl.org

^Or how about getting involved in the Steering Committee?
    www.decl.org

Maybe he's afraid of Ents invading downtown?

I for one welcome our new tree overlords

I definitely believe another park would be great for downtown. Every community needs a village green; a place for children to play, a place for lovers to walk arm in arm, a place to celebrate, a place to relax. Such a place needs to be at the heart of a community, not on its edge; the river valley presents a grand vista from downtown, but in reality it is on its periphery; its a chore to get to, and there's no one central park to serve as a meeting place, in any event.

I like that when you look a Edmonton from above, it appears to be a sea of green; the mix of tree lined boulevards mixed with parks in the neighbourhoods make a beautiful urban forest. Downtown could use more of that. It's part of the reason why the old station lands stick out in a bad way; to much concrete, and not enough green. Looking towards the future does not mean you have to segregate the natural world to a ribbon through our city; it has always been a part of us, and should continue to be a part of us. The more parks, the better! Just my two cents

Tony - are being a contrarian purposely?
    Flex?

Wow. How did that get classified as a park.

No. I'm just not convinced that it is all that with the alternatives especially without other infrastructure (examples schools for families, housing units for them etc...) and given our climate. It seems like we really look to cities that can operate differently than we can too much. I'm not against it, I just don't know that its the best use of the land.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    I definitely believe another park would be great for downtown. Every community needs a village green; a place for children to play, a place for lovers to walk arm in arm, a place to celebrate, a place to relax. Such a place needs to be at the heart of a community, not on its edge;
    Why? Again, parks have value and use in this city but people seem to be elevating them to a level disproprotionate form their actual use in Edmonton. I've walked or rode my bike in all sorts of weather for years, including through these smaller public spaces and they simply do not have that much use (don't get me wrong, there is some including me)in this city as they do elsewhere. The river valley and other larger greenspaces do, and they tend to as destinations for those using the space for a physical activity (such as us nuts who ride our bikes in the winter).

the river valley presents a grand vista from downtown, but in reality it is on its periphery; its a chore to get to, and there's no one central park to serve as a meeting place, in any event.
    I really don't find it a chore. I don't understand how you can live downtown and talk about walkability and suggest 5 to 7 blocks is a chore. Is downtown walkable or not?

I like that when you look a Edmonton from above, it appears to be a sea of green; the mix of tree lined boulevards mixed with parks in the neighbourhoods make a beautiful urban forest. Downtown could use more of that.
    Sure. But we're talking about a park here. Also, maybe we could use some more deciduous trees....

It's part of the reason why the old station lands stick out in a bad way; to much concrete, and not enough green.
    Too much nothing more like it.

Looking towards the future does not mean you have to segregate the natural world to a ribbon through our city; it has always been a part of us, and should continue to be a part of us. The more parks, the better! Just my two cents
    Fair enough. I'd suggest opportunity cost and that there are other ways to get the natural world into the city besides a manicured and landscaped park, but I can't say that more nature is awful.

the river valley presents a grand vista from downtown, but in reality it is on its periphery; its a chore to get to, and there's no one central park to serve as a meeting place, in any event.
    I really don't find it a chore. I don't understand how you can live downtown and talk about walkability and suggest 5 to 7 blocks is a chore. Is downtown walkable or not?
    Until we get mechanized access to the valley via funicular, its not the horizontal distance, but the vertical that is the barrier. As as a relatively healthy younger individual, I don't have a problem hiking back up from the valley, but even I don't relish slogging up the hill.

I actually live in Oliver, at the top of Victoria Park hill. I love the River Valley, and like being relatively close to Government House Park and the River Valley Road trail. At the same time, I don't get to them nearly as often as I like, because of the time it takes to get down there, down and up the hill. I get much more use out of Grant Notley Park, at the top of Victoria Park Hill, and Victoria Promenade, as I can use them to enjoy some relaxing greenery and sunshine without burning forty-five minutes in travel time on a busy day.

I see a lot of fit younger people using the Valley. Its accessible for those with the ability to get there. At the same time, you'd be surprised at the number of people who drive to the park to use it. At Grant Notley park and Victoria Promenade, I still see the young, but I also see the elderly, the disabled, and even the occasional family with strollers. Without a park at the same elevation as the rest of Oliver, these folks would have to use a car or transit to get to the Valley, and would be much less likely to enjoy some green space.

According to Google Maps, its fifty minute round trip on foot from the proposed park location to either Irene Perlby or Louise McKinney Park. People who live in the Warehouse District and the area of the proposed arena (residents of the Icons, Legacy, upcoming Fox, Ultima,etc) with either accessibility issues or who lack the time to get to the Valley are more likely to use this park.

There's no need for the park to sit idle in the winter, either. Add in a small toboggan hill, and a small water feature/pond/skating rink, and you'll see the park used year round.

You could also add some additional family friendly features, like a playground (nearest playground is all the way over at Grandin school) or a spray park.

Fun community league activities, like winter festival similar to the Alberta Avenue event, or some kind of mini-carnival in the summer, would be an excellent fit for this park.

Again, my two cents (maybe that should be in my signature )

Until we get mechanized access to the valley via funicular, its not the horizontal distance, but the vertical that is the barrier. As as a relatively healthy younger individual, I don't have a problem hiking back up from the valley, but even I don't relish slogging up the hill.
    Really? You honestly see that as a real problem? Also, a funicular would basically direct all traffic to one spot. Doesn't really make sense pretending that is a real solution if getting into the River Valley is actually a real problem .

I actually live in Oliver, at the top of Victoria Park hill.
    I also live in that area.

I love the River Valley, and like being relatively close to Government House Park and the River Valley Road trail. At the same time, I don't get to them nearly as often as I like, because of the time it takes to get down there, down and up the hill.
    Its much less than it would take you to get to a funicular or walk to a park in the core areas. I honestly do not find it that hard to get down there, especially with all the trails and stairs. I'm kind of mystified by the claim that a funicular so far away would solve this time issue for you.

I get much more use out of Grant Notley Park, at the top of Victoria Park Hill, and Victoria Promenade, as I can use them to enjoy some relaxing greenery and sunshine without burning forty-five minutes in travel time on a busy day.
    It takes you 45 minutes to get down there?

I see a lot of fit younger people using the Valley. Its accessible for those with the ability to get there. At the same time, you'd be surprised at the number of people who drive to the park to use it.
    Not at all. There are a lot of people who are lazy and or don't live within walking distance and refuse to take public transit to somewhere walkable.

At Grant Notley park and Victoria Promenade, I still see the young, but I also see the elderly, the disabled, and even the occasional family with strollers.
    I see those groups plenty in the River Valley. Not sure why you don't.

Without a park at the same elevation as the rest of Oliver, these folks would have to use a car or transit to get to the Valley, and would be much less likely to enjoy some green space.
    Well, assuming this barrier to walking down hill is real (which, I content it is not really that big of one), then why would they be much less likely to drive or take transit to those green spaces then walk or drive or take transit to a funicular even further away to avoid a slight incline?

According to Google Maps, its fifty minute round trip on foot from the proposed park location to either Irene Perlby or Louise McKinney Park. People who live in the Warehouse District and the area of the proposed arena (residents of the Icons, Legacy, upcoming Fox, Ultima,etc) with either accessibility issues or who lack the time to get to the Valley are more likely to use this park.
    Sure, they might be.

There's no need for the park to sit idle in the winter, either. Add in a small toboggan hill, and a small water feature/pond/skating rink, and you'll see the park used year round.
    Will you? Hopefully. Depends on the people in the area and their use patterns. There isn't really a guarantee that will happen.

You could also add some additional family friendly features, like a playground (nearest playground is all the way over at Grandin school) or a spray park.
    Sure. And then maybe some schools too right?

Fun community league activities, like winter festival similar to the Alberta Avenue event, or some kind of mini-carnival in the summer, would be an excellent fit for this park.

Again, my two cents (maybe that should be in my signature )
    Fair enough.

It was a MR (municipal reserve) parcel, never a 'park' and was disposed of.
    www.decl.org

No. I'm just not convinced that it is all that with the alternatives especially without other infrastructure (examples schools for families, housing units for them etc...) and given our climate. It seems like we really look to cities that can operate differently than we can too much. I'm not against it, I just don't know that its the best use of the land.
    We have an abundance of land/lots/parking.... read some of the CCDP information please.
    www.decl.org

Not a park, but dedicated as a park for both downtown and Central McDougall when the CN lands were sold. It was determined by both communities and the City that this was not the ideal place for a park in the future and why Scott Property was purchased for downtown.
    www.decl.org

Ah. Right.

We have an abundance of land/lots/parking.... read some of the CCDP information please.
    Well, we certainly have a lot of parking lots. I don't see why that means you don't still look at if these things are really the best use.

I have. Doesn't mean I agree with it all.

^You don't have to agree with why the park it going in, but just respect that there are lots of stakeholders in the area supportive and excited for this, and there is urban planning wisdom to why this site was chosen. It's a complicated political history with much work by the community to even get to where we are today.
    Last edited by GreenSPACE; 28-03-2013 at 10:36 AM.
    www.decl.org

^You don't have to agree with why the park it going in, but just respect that there are lots of stakeholders in the area supportive and excited for this,
    What do you mean by "respect"?

and there is urban planning wisdom to why this site was chosen. It's a complicated political history with much work by the community to even get to where we are today.
    Well, some members of the community.

^This is tiresome. And yes, some.
    www.decl.org

^ Flex

What is tiresome?

Feed the hungry bee.

First One is Always Free

What is tiresome?
    Your attention-seeking behaviour.

We are very pleased to see that the Scott park is listed as a specific line item in the 'phase 1 funding' for the CRL.

$2,000,000.00

HOORAY
    www.decl.org

^Great work, and well done, sir.

It's like a rising tide that keeps coming in. Whole blocks are being transformed - all for the better.

Good work Ian, GreenSPACE and everyone else at DECL.
    ... gobsmacked

We are still confident to get the ESA and rezoning done prior to this... so when the funds become available we can get going on a sod turning.
    www.decl.org

Calling Tony Wochuck...

www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Things could not be fixed soon enough. I consider the lots marked in red to be the most detrimental to downtown. It's like a black hole, completely barren, it completely kills and dis-joins the area. Things there should be fixed asap, pressure on the land owner or something. Shocking that the entire 107/106 block has been left in this condition so long.

Put in a large fountain plus some public art and it will be a winner

Ian any news regarding either of these parks?

Ian... how does this fit into the larger park that is proposed... it seems to envelope the smaller park DECL has been working on?
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

The 105st/102ave park is capital dependant on the CRL, but included in the 1st set of priorities. I suspect we will be working with the City again soon to get the PIP going again.

The larger 'central' park is many many years off and a 'phase 2' to the park DECL has been progressing.
    www.decl.org

highlander

Does anyone know anything about the Central McDougall equivalent? There is a vacant lot at 106ave and 107st, SW corner, that has a sign that implies that it's a future park, but nothing else.

^been very quiet on that front for a long time. I know at one point they wanted to trade it back for another location.
    www.decl.org

There was some mumblings about this on the DECL facebook page. Any updates?

did i see some soil testing today ?
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

^ Yes, you did. I know, almost missed it myself.
    ... gobsmacked

Really? That would be news to us... although we did have a meeting/presentation on Thursday with a few city folk and they did hope to get rezoning and an ESA going sooner than later, but this seems a little too quick.
    www.decl.org

Drilling rig was at work SE corner of 105 and 102.

Maybe they're looking for oil - but it screamed soil testing to me.
    ... gobsmacked

^prep/planning for the super trunk sewer that will run north from 100ave about 10 or 15 blocks and will require a TBM...

not park
    www.decl.org

So the issue is - A staging site is required for the installation of the sewer 'superpipe' under 105 Street from the river to 111 Avenue. There is another pipe that crosses at 102 Avenue.

The City would like to use the SE corner of the proposed park for a staging site - 2 of the 5 lots. Likely for 3 years. Not set in stone, but planners see this site as a 'win' for the City as it won't require purchasing or leasing private land.

We want to be accommodating, but this further delays our park development - some or all of it. We are still confirming. We have mixed feelings about this. Love to save taxpayers some money, but not the best for our community or needs of residents now.
    www.decl.org

We received word this week that the environmental assessment report is proceeding forward, and a planner has been assigned to do the rezoning. Rezoning will probably take 6-9 months
    www.decl.org

Yup, great to hear that this is FINALLY moving forward.
    www.decl.org

Very exciting news!!!

Funding for the ESA 1 is in place and underway, phase 2 if required.

Rezoning is being discussed and will proceed once confirmed and approved.

An LA at the City is being sorted out.

More public consultation to follow.

A community fundraising campaign will be apart of this.

Budget in the CRL is 2mil, but they are going to up this to over 3.5mil!

So excited!
    www.decl.org

Very exciting! Lots of work to get it to a reality, but things are finally moving along!
    www.decl.org

A certain someone forgot to repost this from SSP:

Scott Brother's Park conceptutal drawings.

(http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...icture1-57.png)

(http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...icture2-33.png)
    Key needs from our consultations in the past:
    -green space
    -grass
    -seating/meeting area
    -community gardening
    -fenced dog run/ball area
    -playable art or equipment for kids

There damn well better be water features included in this

It is something I would personally like and many others who have given us feedback thus far, but the far SEC is needed for a new sewer mega trunk so it might be a while as the City requires a portion of the site for staging.
    www.decl.org

There damn well better be water features included in this
    The feature 1/2 block away in Beaver Hills House Park is impressive.

LIke many others though, it seems to require a LOT of maintenence and frequent repair.

Not sure DECL would be able to pay ongoing operating expenses if there were similar issues.
    ... gobsmacked

Maybe a water feature can be funded and maintained by a corporate sponsor. Icelandair Fountain anyone?

In any case, I believe there really needs to be more fountains and water features as part of the beautification of downtown. There's just City Hall/Churchill Square, Legislature, Beaver Hills and that sculpture at Victoria Promenade are all I can think of. Meanwhile there's quite a few park fountains in Toronto and Montreal.

Nice design.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Continued Contributor

I like the design for the most part. Only thing I don't like is the pink side walks.
    Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

Pink is brick.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

So is there a timeframe for this getting done?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

^We were given an update last night at our RGM. ESA Phase 1 is complete. Unfortunately a phase 2 may be required. The funding is in place for that. Rezoning should happen sometime this summer or fall.

$3.5m allocated in the CRL for the project. Ideally further consultation and concepts would happen this year with construction start spring 2015.
    www.decl.org

Also, the naming committee process has begun for the park!
    www.decl.org

^ Mel Hurtig Park!

Ian O'Donnell Park

Ha
    www.decl.org

Administrator *

What happened to Scott Brother Park? Was that just an interim name?

That name was a 'working name' and the name of the former owners, it was never intended to be the future name.
    www.decl.org

Administrator *

So what is the DECL working on to build a park for kids downtown (ie. playground, etc.). If it won't be in this park, is there another park planned?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast