Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arts-Hab | 10220 - 96 St. | ?m | 18 floors | Approved

Default Arts-Hab | 10220 - 96 St. | ?m | 18 floors | Approved

I was wondering if anyone knows what the city is planning to do with the mount royal hotel on the corner of 96st and 102A Ave?
    It's been sitting there for quite a while now, boarded up and quiet. I'm glad the vagrants are gone, I used to hate walking by there.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I think that is the only old Boyle Street tavern and flop house that is left standing. It won't be missed.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

If I recall it will be renovated and turned into housing.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Did the city buy it?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

Default Artist Urban Village (Mount Royal Hotel) - 17 storeys - Proposed

So I was heading out of the downtown core today and I looked back and saw that the Mount Royal Hotel on 96 st and 102 Ave was in the process of being torn down. I was shocked and surprised and delighted to see that building disappear. Has anyone heard what happened, why it is coming down and if there are plans for that property?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E SME

Here is a picture for those who don't know which building I'm talking about.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Yet another empty space in that part of town, it's so depressing. What a wasteland, I think I would be embarrassed to drive through there with an out of town passenger.

It would be nice if we could fill in those empty space temporarily with false fronts like they use on Hollywood movie lots.
    Last edited by norwoodguy; 15-04-2011 at 01:19 AM.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

C2E SME

Well I don't know, from what I heard about that hotel, I'm not sad to see it go. One less, rent the room by the hour, hotel in the city of Edmonton.

Addicted to C2E

Sometimes but not always, knocking things down is the right course action.

Demolishing the Cecil hotel was the breath of life that 104th street needed. I found the uplifting effect almost instantly after it was gone.

I think that this fits into the same category. Now if they could get rid of the Peep show building...

I'd rather C2E than work!

this is the new scorched earth policy that will - should allow for new development
    Does this clear the whole block or enough for new construction ?
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Just keep Double Greetings Wonton House open.

You have to rid the neighbourhood of the crap so you can start fresh. There appears to be many good things going on in this neighbourhood and i think we will see many positive changes in the next several years.

No redeeming value to this building... good riddance. Now if only we could get rid of Millan Pub over by Noodle Noodle.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Historic building razed, another gravel parking lot created. Perfect.

Some great wall adverts were exposed by the razing of that one.

Mount Royal Razed by Canadax, on Flickr
    Violating Foolhardy Tyranny

Hey I used to smoke sweets caps way back when. I remember the playing card contest in them back in 60s. Are they still in production? Back when practically everyone smoked. I quit in 1986. Still a lot of smokers judging by all the butts by my building and everywhere else it seems.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 15-04-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Historic building razed, another gravel parking lot created. Perfect.
    Historic?!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

First One is Always Free

And what happens to the people who live in these rooms to rent by the hour? Because, there were denizens beyond whores and johns...I'm not against the development of east Jasper, but ghettos don't disappear they just relocate. Hopefully they move west to Oliver or south to Grandin and leave poor ole Boyle McCauley and the whole of tired north east Edmonton alone for once!

Yeah, I bet...

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Has anyone heard what happened, why it is coming down and if there are plans for that property?
    The City bought the property for $1.9M last May in order to clear space for the "Armature" part of the Quarters redevelopment plan. No idea what they actually have planned for this specific lot, though.

C2E Continued Contributor

^^the Mount Royal at its end only had a few rooms open (I think as they were "renovating" others. There were not many long termers left in the last year. We had looked at it as an option to buy but walked away due to the state of it.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

E.D.P..........Historic for me I guess as I remember the days of a bustling downtown Edmonton. More than half of the old buildings are gone, and all the people too. But then I go back some as I used to stop for breakfast at the Coffee Cup Inn before work. Maybe we were not rich people but we were people none the less. Now downtown is a vacant area in comparison, especially past 5pm it's like a ghost town.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 15-04-2011 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by north guy66 View Post
    just keep double greetings wonton house open.
    this!
    www.decl.org

Sorry Ian, it must be traded for Gravel Lot and Future Considerations. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    E.D.P..........Historic for me I guess as I remember the days of a bustling downtown Edmonton. More than half of the old buildings are gone, and all the people too. But then I go back some as I used to stop for breakfast at the Coffee Cup Inn before work. Maybe we were not rich people but we were people none the less. Now downtown is a vacant area in comparison, especially past 5pm it's like a ghost town.
    ok... I don't see the relevance. I'm all for keeping old character buildings, but I'm not for keeping things that have no merit.

Its about timthey demolish that piece of [email protected] I think it should be one of many old derelect buildings that come down inthat part of downtown, its a wasteland, any development is good development

Sentiments of most C2E ers I am sure.

.. on place where a surface parking lot just may add character... lol

Good riddance.

I really hope some new buildings go ahead in that area soon. That part of downtown is not only an eyesore, but it is scary because it's so desolate.

And now for the Cromdale....

Rather neat that it revealed old signage on the neighbouring building. Like opening up old walls, this must be a regular event - I wonder if anyone pays attention.

i.e. any web sites on rediscovered wall art, wall ads, etc.

So, what was Caporal - a company or brand or import?

I'm back... here's Caporal...

http://brickads.blogspot.com/2007/11...al-canada.html

" "A tragic fire August 28, 2007 in our Downtown core saw the destruction of a historic structure. The remnants of that building were razed and hauled away leaving a fantastic example of a "ghost mural" on the newly exposed building next door."
    and from that same link above one in Calgary...
    http://www.calgaryheritage.org/phpbb...hp?p=1366#1366
    Last edited by KC; 15-04-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Hope the Grand Hotel by the Greyhound is next.

Grand Hotel actually does have history. Was originally called the Richelieu Hotel. I think it is brink under all that vinyl.

I would rather it be updated and cleaned up. They did add an elevator a couple of years ago which would have cost a pretty penny. BTW it is the same owner who also owned the Mount Royal and the Hub Hotel beside Hardware Grill
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

I'm just worried that with Royal Hotel gone, their clientele will gravitate to Grand Hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by KingswayGuy View Post
    And now for the Cromdale....
    No kidding. What is holding back the city from buying that property and razing it to the ground?

I guess it's all a matter of baby steps...

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Hull534 View Post
    Sometimes but not always, knocking things down is the right course action.

Demolishing the Cecil hotel was the breath of life that 104th street needed. I found the uplifting effect almost instantly after it was gone.

I think that this fits into the same category. Now if they could get rid of the Peep show building...
    If they get rid of that business and building the area will vastly improve. It's still a bit hard for me to imagine a beautiful revitalized area with that ugly, gawdy business sitting right there on the corner.

Default Mount Royal / peepshow building

Quote Originally Posted by Hull534 View Post
    The 24 hour peep show building on the corner of 96 st and 101A ave looks like it has been closed!! Yaayy! It was definitely an eyesore!

What about the building that was next to the Mount Royal with the cigarette ad on the wall that was exposed? I think the only thing open in that building right now is the barber shop on the north right corner. I was also wondering about Double Greeting?

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by shortarsejo View Post
    What about the building that was next to the Mount Royal with the cigarette ad on the wall that was exposed? I think the only thing open in that building right now is the barber shop on the north right corner. I was also wondering about Double Greeting?
    That other building at least appears to be in good shape, and architecturally looks decent. Again only time will tell.
    Back to the Mount Royal, has anyone noticed if the rubble has been trucked away yet?

That other building at least appears to be in good shape, and architecturally looks decent. Again only time will tell.
    Back to the Mount Royal, has anyone noticed if the rubble has been trucked away yet?
    About the other building: The Koermann Block was built around 1914 when the Ukrainian bookstore moved in, and is designated on the "A list" of historical buildings by the Edmonton Heritage Board. This means it won't be coming down any time soon, but it could be slated for re-fit some time in the near future.

It's also been recreated at Fort Edmonton Park, as the Ukrainian Bookstore it once was.

Koermann Block by Canadax, on Flickr
    Violating Foolhardy Tyranny

The last time I was by there, the rubble of the hotel was still there. It will probably be gone sometime this week at the rate they are working.

I've always wondered about Double Greeting, how long has it been open and is the food any good?
    One business that should be closed is lunch box on the corner of 102A Ave and 97st.

Updates on this site:

For the second project, the Artists Urban Village and Arts Hab is hoping to build a $27 million co-operative housing project in The Quarters proper, on the site of the old Mount Royal Hotel at 96 Street and 102A Avenue, one block north of the proposed east-west LRT.

The group is still in the feasibility stage, said Edmonton poet Shirley Serviss, but they hope to know if they are going ahead for sure by May. They would build a 10-storey building with roughly 60 residence/studios plus gallery, theatre and office space on the main floors.

The building would fill the hotel site, plus a lot across the back ally, both currently owned by the city. Plus, said Serviss, “there’s a little building on the corner, so we are in discussion on how to preserve it.”

That building, called Koermann Building and built between 1911 and 1913, currently has a barber shop, martial arts studios and a small rooming house. The interior would need to be redone. “The facade is the only real historic value,” said Serviss. “But all this is preliminary until we look at the design.”

When would it get built? Well, city staff are pushing to get shovels in the ground this year, but that’s pushing it, said Serviss.
    http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...arly-adopters/

Addicted to C2E

Poets are great at being poets , They generally don't make great project managers. I wish them well in getting this to happen . I feel it will take others helping out to get this done , financial ,engineering etc. City staff being hopeful of getting shovels in the ground this year does not give me the warm fuzzies, or reflect reality for that matter.

We have corporate capacity here in spades , it would be nice if one or more of our local corporations could step forward in civic spirit and guide this project through along with the neccessary public and donated monies to completion in a reasonable time frame.

It would be nice.

C2E SME

One observation about communities like Strathcona, 124 Street and Alberta Avenue is that there is a core group of businesses and artists that provided the seeds for renewal. I think the city has to support the core groups and find out their needs as the Quarters moves forward.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E SME

If the city gets this project moving and we see a lot of artists in the area because of the project I think that the Quarters could become a very trendy area that could attract a wide variety of people.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...380/story.html

Edmonton non-profit groups plan for downtown artists village

By Gordon Kent, Edmonton Journal February 12, 2013 6:24 PM

[...]The 17-storey tower at 96th Street and 102A Avenue will incorporate the demolished Mount Royal Hotel site, an adjoining building and a lane and parking lot to the west.

The bottom four floors will have space for arts groups, shops and studios, while the rest will be a mix of affordable and market-priced homes where families, singles and senior artists can work as well as live.

Serviss thinks the $30-million facility will appeal to older performers, painters, singers and others who’ve earned a living in the arts, giving them a place to remain active in their professions and interact with colleagues.
    More:

“It’s so close to the downtown arts district,” Arts Habitat executive director Linda Huffman said, adding the future Chinatown LRT stop and Quarters activity are added lures.

“I think we could be one of the (area’s) pioneer developments, so it’s exciting.”

The city, which has committed about $8 million in land and funding, hopes construction can start this year, but Huffman said they first have to firm up support from other levels of government and private fundraising.

They’re holding meetings in March to outline the plan for prospective residents and organizations.
    Last edited by JamesL; 12-02-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Climbing ivy!
    www.decl.org

Ivy is unlikely to survive around here. Virginia Creeper works a lot better.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Pictures usually look appealing, but the final product ends up looking like a POS.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Partially Addicted to C2E

I like the bottom portion and that they incorporated the existing building. Not sure about the tower portion though.

Good to see 96th street coming along.

It's also going to mean the demolishing of this building, sadly.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Ivy is unlikely to survive around here. Virginia Creeper works a lot better.
    Is that what they have growing up the old Arts building at the U of A?

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post

Nope, the article states:

"The 17-storey tower at 96th Street and 102A Avenue will incorporate the demolished Mount Royal Hotel site, an adjoining building and a lane and parking lot to the west."

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...380/story.html

You can kinda see it in the rendering.

^yup, looks like my little guy is going to be ok.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^yup, looks like my little guy is going to be ok.
    I hope so. That building is a clean, tidy gem in the middle of upheaved parking lots and buildings left to rot.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I hope it lives!
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Great news for the Quarters. And a great product type. The City Market has been very successful in providing affordable homes for artists, I'm glad we're continuing that trend with some market housing and studio space.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power
    YEG: Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley | YLW: Shannon Lake | PHX: San Tan Valley

This would be so amazing for jump starting the area!

any idea when this project might start?

^Sounds like they hope to begin in later 13.
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E

Excellent news, and a refreshing design. Not a POS as specified by someone else.

A great choice of development to have here. But as always the choice of exterior materials and finish will be key.

Would be nice if some more local businesses were to open here, the Won Ton House looks rather lonely.

Great idea. There's only about six square blocks to fix up with ideas like this and the "seedy" part of DT will be nothing but stories to tell our children.

Or not, 'cause I know my folks NEVER embellished anything .....
    ... gobsmacked

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

My parents talk of the old Whyte ave like we will talk about this area one day. They don't tend to embellish... but talked of how Whyte wasn't nearly as nice or happening in their youth as it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Great idea. There's only about six square blocks to fix up with ideas like this and the "seedy" part of DT will be nothing but stories to tell our children.

Or not, 'cause I know my folks NEVER embellished anything .....

Job No 178470076-001
    Description: To construct a mixed Use tower (Storeys 1-4 Commercial; Storeys 5-18 Residential 75 Dwellings of Apartment Housing).
    Plan ND Blk 6 Lot 8
    9613 - 102A AVENUE NW
    Plan ND Blk 6 Lots 9-10
    10216 - 96 STREET NW
    Plan ND Blk 6 Lots 5-7
    Applicant: KASIAN ARCHITECTURE
    Create Date: 8/31/2015 4:22:12 PM

Well isn't that a nice surprise.
    www.decl.org

This came out of the blue! Does anyone know anything about this?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

I'll say it's a nice surprise - great news!
    Almost always open to debate...

Is this the ArtsHab?
    www.decl.org

Wow! Extremely good news and pleasant surprise. Fantastic for the area and further positive movement/transformation.

C2E Posting Power

Fantastic!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Great to hear, looking forward to a rendering.

Bump - to combine shortly
    www.decl.org

So this encompasses the Salvation Army building?

Look forward to seeing the renderings, this will certainly make walking past this part of town more pleasurable.
    Last edited by norwoodguy; 02-09-2015 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Is this the ArtsHab?
    Yes.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E SME

Will be nice to see what it's going to look like.

I thought there was a render kicking around somewhere.

More excited for it being ArtsHab than for its appearance, but it wasn't bad. Not really artsy, more habby.

C2E SME

So I see there will be commercial in the building. I do hope that there will be street level retail or resto businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    I thought there was a render kicking around somewhere.

More excited for it being ArtsHab than for its appearance, but it wasn't bad. Not really artsy, more habby.
    Post #46

^ that too...

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    I don't see any sign of the current building being retained

^ there isn't in that render that I see either, but there's another render. That one is three years old.

Edit - can't (easily) find anything on artshab.com but as I recall the podium is built with an indent around the Korman Block, and I'm not sure ArtsHab even owns it. Even if you look at that old render you can see the corner indent hiding in the trees.
    Last edited by JayBee; 04-09-2015 at 07:50 AM.

Just for clarity of the discussion:

The 'existing building' in question is not the Mount Royal Hotel. The MRH was bulldozed in around 2011 or '12 (along with the International and York murder-magnets Hotels) and was where the empty lot facing 96 Street is.

ArtsHab owns that lot, plus the empty lot facing North onto 102a Avenue, and intends to combine the lots (and the intervening segment of alley) under the currently discussed ArtsHab building.

Remaining between the two blocks is the heritage Korman Block, which at one point crucial to local democratic history famously housed the Ukranian Bookstore (but that company moved numerous times during its existence). The Korman Block is also famous for having a concurrently existing replica in Fort Edmonton Park, which is identified as the Ukranian Bookstore.

I'm not certain if ArtsHab has acquired the Korman Block, but the last I heard it was not to be incorporated into the ArtsHab Building.

Not incorporating at least the facade, let alone the rest into a building for people who should want to preserve, respect, celebrate creation is upsetting if true.
    www.decl.org

^ When I say "not incorporating", I mean "not even touching, leaving alone, building around it."

^oh, well then... that's acceptable.
    www.decl.org

^ agreed, although I think the Korman is due some restoration at least.

I wish I could remember where I saw those renders. I thought I saw an atrium against the Korman block wall featuring the "Sweet Caporal" advertisement. Stakeholder's package? Somewhere.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Proposed rezoning in The Quarters Downtown for artists' tower

Residents are invited to a public meeting to provide feedback on a proposed rezoning on the southwest corner of 96 Street and 102 A Avenue NW in the Armature District of The Quarters Downtown.

Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2015
    Time: 7 p.m.
    Location: Boyle Street Community League (101 Boyle Street Plaza)
    9538 103A Ave NW

The proposed rezoning to a new (DC1) Direct Development Control Provision would allow for the construction of a 77-metre (approximately 18 storeys) tower known as the Artists Quarters. The proposed building would feature a maximum of 75 suites where artists would live and work, recreational and commercial uses in the bottom four storeys, and an underground parkade.

A closure of a portion of a north/south alley located west of 96 Street NW between 102 and 102A Avenues would be required to accommodate the development.

The public meeting will be an opportunity to learn more about the proposal and provide feedback, which will be summarized in a report to city council for a final decision on the proposed rezoning.

The Artists Quarters Project is a partnership between the Artists Urban Village and the Arts Habitat Association of Edmonton, and is supported by the City of Edmonton’s Cornerstones program.
    https://twitter.com/CityofEdmonton/s...35852946690048

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

World's prettiest jail

Allergy to windows? Jeez

What is going on with that tower portion? Podium is alright.

Podium is ok, tower awkward.
    www.decl.org

Repurpose the remand with 4 balconies and a pretty blue LED light and save the money......

Fugly!!!!

I think I'm going to show up at this public meeting and fill my feedback form with 'fugly' multiple times

Moar WINDOWS, AMIRITE?

The podium is good. The tower is bad. Just, why?

REJOICE EDMONTONIANS!

You have asked for no moar stucco. Since then, we've unleashed great products such as Hendrix, J22 and this newest edition....

But honestly, this tower just looks like the Boyle Low income housing slab...seems to be the "Quarters Style":

Since I saw it, I think the tower has gotten less balconies and more 'splashes of colour'. That podium now looks like a facadism of the Koermann Block. I think its also taller.

Fan of the function, not the form.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Last edited by Hilman; 18-11-2015 at 03:28 PM.

well at least the south face has more windows

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast