Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Arts-Hab | 10220 - 96 St. | ?m | 18 floors | Approved

For common reference:

This project is to be almost in the exact centre of this map.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Going back to the 2008 discussion on The Quarters, I still don't see how it's "Gentrification" if the "neighbourhood" is 80% parking lots. The dominant form of urbanisation is clearly more like "de-surface-parking-lotification."
    Lots of cities would dream for the opportunity to develop the centre of it's city the way Edmonton has the potential to.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Let's hope developers treat it as such.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Alberta Craft Council to move to Arts Habitat in the Quarters
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...858112?cmp=rss
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Makes sense. I wonder if their current building is part of the land to be expropriated for the Central Park?

I hope so; but I don't think it was part of the lots planned for expropriation.

I'd rather C2E than work!

^No its not part of the expropriation.

Something like ten blocks away from what we're calling 'Central Park', but perfectly across 96 Street from the Armature Park.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E SME

Well that's good to hear, now they just need the building to be built.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

With Armature officially being opened today along with the Hyatt, let's hope this funding is not very far behind.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

DP notice for the mixed use artist tower in the Quarters.

18 storey

Floors 1-4 - Arts Craft Council
    5-18 - living - 64 units

Reconstruct the north and east facade of the Koermann Block.

*I am still not pleased about losing one of the best painted wall adds that remain in our city.
    www.decl.org

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Will Rapid Fire Theater still move?

I kind of like the synergy in the Citadel with them there.

I would think its good business for Citadel and RFT to expose their differing demographics to each others product through the physical shared space.

I'm sure both will do just fine either way.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    DP notice for the mixed use artist tower in the Quarters.

18 storey

Floors 1-4 - Arts Craft Council
    5-18 - living - 64 units

Reconstruct the north and east facade of the Koermann Block.

*I am still not pleased about losing one of the best painted wall adds that remain in our city.
    Do you know what the status of funding is for this? Last I heard they still needed money from all levels of government
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

I believe they have funding from all but the Province at this point, but I could be wrong.
    www.decl.org

The quarters could use a boost so bad that I wouldn't mind the no-window-spandrel-overdose building presented in the renders.

^ that render answers the question of "what if the remand centre and the oliver had a baby?" haha

I believe they have funding from all but the Province at this point, but I could be wrong.
    I wonder if the new provincial budget had any money allocated for this or if there's another way to fund through other grants/sources. Haven't heard anything yet.

Priority but not funded.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Too bad. This would definitely help the progress of the area.

It's been put on the 'approved by unfunded' list this budget. For comparison, the Winspear expansion was on that list for 3 years before it was funded.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Well I hope that maybe with other projects move forward in the area that this project will be given a higher priority.

Other projects movement has no affect in funding. If our government has no funds to give out, we dont get any whether developers forge onto the area.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E SME

Except if someone in the government see's a political reason to expedite funding towards this project away from somewhere else then you never know. For example, if just say Amazon did say they were going to set up their new headquarters here (I know its not going to happen) then all of a sudden the government becomes more generous with the city and with projects in the city. I understand that there are many factors that dictate how and where funding goes but there is also politics involved and efforts to try and show how good of a government can be.

Artist Tower update: I was at Executive Committee yesterday and they were prioritized by the Province, but it didn't receive funding, so they were asked to go back and look at a variety of options, priv/pub, less parking, podium options etc. A report to come back this fall.
    www.decl.org

Artist Tower update: I was at Executive Committee yesterday and they were prioritized by the Province, but it didn't receive funding, so they were asked to go back and look at a variety of options, priv/pub, less parking, podium options etc. A report to come back this fall.
    Maybe this could be a zero underground parking tower or maybe one level for loading/carshare/bike parking. I think there is an unrealized market for such units in Edmonton and it would certainly bring down the cost. I know people that would gladly pay 20k - 30k less for a condo and forego parking because they don't own a vehicle.

They currently have 3 levels of UG, but will now look at options for less to reduce costs.
    www.decl.org

I understand government supporting art studio space, and supporting housing but there's no justification for subsidizing parking spaces.

And wouldn't lower-income artists who do their work in the same building as their rental home be a textbook case of low parking demand?

^^I don't know what the real price is, but Regency claimed that above ground saved $50,000 per stall vs underground.
    Last edited by Highlander II; 02-05-2018 at 08:17 AM.
    There can only be one.

I don’t really buy the idea that people would move into a building without parking options. I tried renting my condo out for under market value without a parking stall last July. I was trying to get some macewan or Norquest students into the place while retaining the spot for myself. I got lots of bites, but none of those kids were interested in sacrificing their wheels. And I don’t blame them! Mass transit sucks and people like to go see their families in the ‘burbs.

I feel most Artists will choose a walk up before this place if it means they keep their car. And this isn’t a tongue in cheek post. :P

Obviously you weren't offering below market value if you had no takers. "Market" for a place with no parking might be $200 or more less than "market" with a parking stall, depending on the building and location.

Unlike students moving in for a few months this will be longer term residents, so they can actually plan their lives around their residence. It should also be a rental building, so if it's managed right there will always be parking available for those who actually need it at a market price.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    Obviously you weren't offering below market value if you had no takers. "Market" for a place with no parking might be $200 or more less than "market" with a parking stall, depending on the building and location.

Unlike students moving in for a few months this will be longer term residents, so they can actually plan their lives around their residence. It should also be a rental building, so if it's managed right there will always be parking available for those who actually need it at a market price.
    Lots of bites and no takers. In my building, the other owners have been renting for between 1450 and 1800. I listed for 1200 without the stall but everyone kept saying they would take it if the stall was included for about 1500. That's where I realized that albeit we have a glut of parking, people want their own stalls.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    REJOICE EDMONTONIANS!

You have asked for no moar stucco. Since then, we've unleashed great products such as Hendrix, J22 and this newest edition....

But honestly, this tower just looks like the Boyle Low income housing slab...seems to be the "Quarters Style":

Gee, why is that? I think the words "affordable" and "non profit" housing should offer a big clue. You don't spend a lot more money on the finish and exterior to make it fancy in the hopes you will get some person to part with an extra $50,000 or $100,000 to increase the developers profit.

I suppose this sort of housing will continue to be a big part of the Quarters, until when and if the gentrification crowd rushes in because of its proximity to downtown. However the first step to revitalization is to get people into the area and fill the some of the many empty lots with new, safe housing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123