Thread: Edmontonians should be very proud of their school system.

First One is Always Free

Default Edmontonians should be very proud of their school system.

Having had a child attend school in the gifted program at York elementary for the first 2 years and then the next 4 years in public schools here in Utah I can say unequivocally that Edmonton has a great school system. I used to feel somewhat ambivalent about Edmonton schools given the state of some of the school buildings and also the amount of money that the government spends on education. No more! The schools here are all brand new buildings due to earthquake code upgrades but the quality of the curriculum, the quality of the teachers and the availability of choices is severely lacking. Pay for teachers is poor and teacher education is inadequate as well in my estimation. Most teachers start at around $19,000US per year and average around $40,000 after a number of years teaching. It is too bad that funding from bonds is available for building improvements but there is little funding for teachers. There is a large push here for vouchers and for dollars to follow the student which is something Edmontonians take for granted. There is little to no choice in what school your children attend as they are all defined by boundaries. So if you want your kids to go to a better school you need to move into the school boundary. For a couple of years we were lucky to be in the boundary of a good school but then we moved and got into a terrible school. We recently moved again so as to be able to have our kids go to a better school again. So high praise for the Edmonton Public Schools!
    Edmontonian cheering for my Utah Utes!

And to counter this, I think it would be fair to say that open boundaries have created a big problem here in Edmonton in relations to communities. Many decided to send their kids to specialized schools and in turn the community schools fall out of use, and lead to closures. Which is counterproductive to the revitilization of these areas. Its a vicious circle.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    And to counter this, I think it would be fair to say that open boundaries have created a big problem here in Edmonton in relations to communities. Many decided to send their kids to specialized schools and in turn the community schools fall out of use, and lead to closures. Which is counterproductive to the revitilization of these areas. Its a vicious circle.
    I agree to a certain extent in that specialized programs have lead to parents sending their kids to schools outside of the neighbourhood. However, if the community school is attractive enough and provides what the local community is looking for in a school then the concern about drain goes away as parents will want to send their children to an excellent local school.
    Edmontonian cheering for my Utah Utes!

Not to mention we also have 2 distinct school boards (which is a waste of money). The Catholics are segregated (by choice or by force, not sure) in their own school board and the rest of the generic religions are thrown into one. Although we do have a few designer schools popping up.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Not to mention we also have 2 distinct school boards (which is a waste of money). The Catholics are segregated (by choice or by force, not sure) in their own school board and the rest of the generic religions are thrown into one. Although we do have a few designer schools popping up.
    ...and many non "designer" ones closing down.

C2E Continued Contributor

How can you be proud of a school system where kids do not fail/are not held back? Whats the life lesson here? NO zeros given? How the hell does this prepare them for the real world? No after school detentions? (Yet parents allow their kids to stick around after school to play on the sports team. WTF?)
    Stop illegal aliens! Enforce the LAW!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ...The Catholics are segregated (by choice or by force, not sure) in their own school board ...
    FYI, the Catholics are "segregated" by constitutionally gaurenteed choice, although interestingly enough NOT in all provinces.

In practice, Catholic parents can choose to have thier child educated in either the Catholic or Public (non-religeous) systems as can lapsed or non-Catholics choose to have thier child educated in the Catholic system.

It's pretty fair, with the isolated situation where a renter might send thier child to one system while the property-owner landlord chooses to have thier education taxes dedicated to the other.
    ... gobsmacked

^Correct me if I am wrong but I thought it was the job of the Catholic CHURCH to teach their flock religion.
    It seems now most people are too busy on Sunday sleeping/shopping/name it here, to take up the church's offer of a good old fashioned sermon.
    It seems more and more Catholics are leaving it up to the Catholic schools.
    Last edited by Gemini; 13-06-2011 at 11:14 AM.

From religeon to fillintheblank, parents of a multitude of faiths and of no faith seem to be dumping all manner of teaching responsibilities on our schools.

All this Catholic / Protestant school stuff dates back into ancient Canadian history when the nation was populated by three primary groups: First Nation, European (English) and European (French).

Of course, fewer and fewer places in Canada still resemble this demographic mix, if you can call it a mix at all.

But opening the Constitution to reflect today's reality - no sane politician dares go there.
    ... gobsmacked

Well if other provinces have just one school board I don't see why Alberta could not adopt the same practice. To me this Public/Seperate system is more about the school boards turf. The shools boards are not worried about a duplicate systems and the money that is wasted having two boards. They just want to protect their turf and their jobs.

For better or worse, the the Canadian Confederation is anything but equal in the way provinces are treated.

Ergo the bizzare seat distribution in the Senate. Ergo, different protections for minority (religeous) education.

Ergo, constitutionally mandated residency requirements for Supreme Court appointments.

Alberta, having been part of the NWT, along with Saskatchewan and most of what is now Manitoba, had no bargaining power at the constitutional table.

Ergo ... the original seed of western alienation. But that's another thread.
    ... gobsmacked

Edmonton has an amazing school system, I agree with the OP. As to the other issues some on thsi board are whining about (like having a separate school system), I guess we have threads for that debate. IMO the proof is in the pudding though, and its a pretty damn good pudding in Edmonton if my kids education is anything to go by. The teachers in Edmonton are excellent, well paid and well educated. Its not like that in most other places in the world, unless you go private.

^It's not 'whining' it's making constructive comments.
    What makes you think the teachers would be any less 'excellent, well paid, and well educated' if there was only one system. A person can talk all they want about having two systems being more competitive but you can have individual schools being competitive with each other. Darn waste of money. How many times do I have to say "If you want your kids to get educated in their own religions take them to CHURCH/TEMPLE ETC". That's their main purpose.

First One is Always Free

I am really proud of our school systems! While the open boundaries issue does need to be worked out a bit (due to some school closures, especially in the public school system), I think overall it is a great way to work it. While cities in the states have people renting condos in the areas they want their kids to attend school and participating in lotteries so their kids can go to charters, we have two great systems with wonderful outcomes!