Thread: I Stand for Law and Order and Fiscal Responsibility

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Default I Stand for Law and Order and Fiscal Responsibility

I was educated at New York University where I earned a Bachelor of Science Degree and Masters Degree in Business Administration majoring in Marketing and Finance. Several years later I obtained a Law Degree from the University of British Columbia.

I have been a Chemical Analyst - Labor Relations Manager and contract negotiator, for both Multi National and Crown Corporations, Prosecutor and Defense Council.

In my view the city administration is a nightmare and needs a turn around just like any corporation that is failing. It seems that every time you turn around you are paying more money and I believe that is because the city has grown very quickly and has outpaced the skill set of the current council and administration. The people I talk to list PROPERTY TAX AND FEES as their main concern. The reality is that most people live from paycheck to paycheck, have little ability to put money aside for retirement and would be in a difficult position if they were to miss a paycheck.

Increases in taxes would probably mean they would lose their homes. Tax increases will also mean an increase in rent as landlords pass along the costs. Small business would leave because of the triple net leases they have and the passing along of costs.

In short, because the council has been unable to control spending we are sitting on a deficit of about 1.3 billion dollars + interest, with no way to pay that off without substantial increases in taxes. (See the auditor generals report http://www.oag.ab.ca/?V_DOC_ID=840)

Arena - no public funds. Daryl Katz is the 11th wealthiest person in Canada. He just bought the Edmonton Oilers, if he did his due diligence he knew the problems, if any. I say do not come to City hall now with your hand out. The reality is that most NHL franchises lose money. That is not why these people buy them. Check below and remember any arena built in the US goes through a plebiscite program. (Who owns the arenas http://hockey.ballparks.com/NHL/Toro...s/newindex.htm)

Airport Ė dead issue for now but the elections may change that.
    And now for some American politics as some of the candidates like to say: That means please donít take shots at me it hurts my feelings.

PARACHUTE CANDIDATES

We have 4 in this ward.

Louis Sobolewski Ė an auditor for Revenue Canada. In my experience certain types of personalities go into certain professions. My experience in dealing with Revenue Canada, for my clients, is that their auditors are neither rational, reasonable, or conciliatory and they donít give a damn about the law. They are mean, arrogant, unlikable people. This is a personality and a person you do not want and donít need as a friend, and you definitely do not want as a councilor.

Terry Demers - what can you say, she lives about 40 km away from ward 3. She might as well live in St. Albert and come in on a hang glider. This woman will do little if anything for you. She simply lacks the experience and was anything but an executive assistant in the true sense of the title. She says she will work hard. Ok, who wonít? What you need you is someone who knows what they are doing and she does not. She is going to strengthen communities, bring people together and make them safe. Yea then will sit around a campfire eating the special brownies that we use to bake and sing koom by ya. Tell me, if you were filling the position by hire rather than election, would you hire her. I think not.

Dave Loken - is probably a nice guy but has lost 2 times before. Why break a perfect record? For your own self interest make it 3 times. He is a civic employee, and union rep. which unfortunately means he is probably part of the problem at city hall. He claims to be a union negotiator. Let me tell you something, I have spoken with him and he knows little if anything about contract negotiation at any significant level. He has studied Political Science. Here is a basic curriculum from the best school in the country. (Gender Social Problems and Social Change, Family Law and Social Policy, Canadian Politics, An analysis of the Canadian political system, Comparative Politics, International Politics, Political Theory, Power and Public Policy). What does any of this have to do with running a city? Not a thing and his employment in the sewage department probably gives you some indication of the value of his education. Do Dave a favor and send him packing. Maybe after three strikes he will just go away.

Hatem Naboulsi
    - is probably a likeable guy but without any original ideas. His list of ďI want to do thisĒ sounds like motherhood ranting. Control taxes, build on community strengths, encourage responsibility and accountability. Ok Hatem how? I know how but I donít get the impression that you do.

The others I will deal with later.

Thanks for listening.

-- Michael Suess, bsc mba llb

Ah, Mr. Seuss. I believe it was you I saw on Meet the Candidates on Channel 10 one evening last week.
    You stated on that channel that on the City Centre Airports Lands the pollution from oil etc: went down about 50 to 100 ft. below the surface. Due to this statement being made by you I was wondering if you had done an independent study on this.
    As for me my vote will be going to Dave Loken in Ward 3 in spite of what you have to say. Mandel will also be getting my X. As for 'American type politics' well we have had enough of that but you seem to be perpetuating it with your pot shot paragraphs at your rivals.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

well michael, i'm kind of glad i'm not in your ward if you are elected. i'm not sure i would want to come to you knowing that i or one of friends is "neither rational, reasonable, or conciliatory and they donít give a damn about the law. They are mean, arrogant, unlikable people. This is a personality and a person you do not want and donít need as a friend, and you definitely do not want..." simply because of a chosen profession or industry or employer.

and given that edmonton is barely 20 km across from east to west, i find it hard to believe anyone could be "about 40 km away from ward 3" without living in some parallel universe and i for one want my councillor to live in this one even if not in my actual ward.

as for backgrounds, what makes you thing chemical analysis is any better in training one to run a city than working for the city or studying political science.

based on your start, i'm not sure if bothering to "deal with the others later" is worth your bothering with.

thanks for listening.

ken
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I'd rather C2E than work!

Wow, didn't take long to come out swinging at your opponents. I hope you realize that these tactics don't fly well with Canadian voters, especially attacks on one's personality rather than experience or achievements or lack of either. Bad form.
    Strathcona City Separatist

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Too bad Michael Suess likely won't even read this thread, since he didn't even post his own letter. WTF is with these extra threads? Aren't there already threads for each of the candidates?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I do live in this ward and sincerely hope he does not win; after reading this thread I would guess he will be in a distant fourth or fifth.

Mr. Suess, you should worry less about what your opponents are doing/saying and more what you are doing. I and my family do not like your style and mudslinging and will vote for Loken this coming Monday.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by NoreneS View Post
    The others I will deal with later.

-- Michael Suess, bsc mba llb

Don't bother.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Addicted to C2E

What a nasty and rude guy ! Instead of highlighting his own plans, he just throws mud at his opponents !! Too bad I don't live in Ward 3, I would love to deny him the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by NoreneS View Post
    Louis Sobolewski – an auditor for Revenue Canada. In my experience certain types of personalities go into certain professions. My experience in dealing with Revenue Canada, for my clients, is that their auditors are neither rational, reasonable, or conciliatory and they don’t give a damn about the law. They are mean, arrogant, unlikable people. This is a personality and a person you do not want and don’t need as a friend, and you definitely do not want as a councilor.
    I have had dealings with a variety of Canada Revenue Agency auditors (note, it was more than a decade ago that it was called Revenue Canada, only fossils still refer to it as such). Have I had some bad experiences? Yes. Have I had some very positive ones with professional and respectful auditors? Yes. I know nothing about Louis, but don't think your judgement here in dismissing the service he has done for Canada, never a popular job but without question an important one, is fair at all.

In short, because the council has been unable to control spending we are sitting on a deficit of about 1.3 billion dollars + interest, with no way to pay that off without substantial increases in taxes. [I](See the auditor generals report http://www.oag.ab.ca/?V_DOC_ID=840)
    You might want to learn the difference between the provincial government and the municipal government if you want to be taken seriously.

This.. article? if you can call it that... is offensive... and disgusting in my opinion.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi