Thread: Our Highland adventure

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Our Highland adventure

My sister and husband suggested breakfast today for my gf and I, so we headed off to 'Culina' Highlands for brunch. I had been to 'Bacon' and knew I would love the little place, but was not ready for how impressed I was with the food, service, and atmosphere. I had the 'Ukrainian' breakfast with some of the best kubasa I have ever had. Bacon and eggs were brushed with mushroom cream; homemade sausage with a mango chutney. Coffee was imported from next door, deliciously smooth. Prices were on on par with most places for a nice brunch, $8-16. Very very few places cook bacon to my liking, crisp but chewy. These guys nailed it!!!

I cannot wait to return and highly recommend 'Culina Highlands'.

I would also like to give them recognition for buying locally where possible.

With a full and satisfied stomach, we dropped into the wicked little cafe/dessert bookstore beside La Boheme where we enjoyed the aromas of Columbia amidst finding a classic, perhaps THE classic Oilers history book by Terry Jones.

My gf then admired the creative workings of 'Sabrina Butterfly' (clothing) and will be back for some xmas gifts.

Crossing the street we headed to 'Chickies' antiques where we took a step back on to the farm, Cunard cruise liner, and hong kong circa 1900. Wonderfully unqiue and amazing this and thats. Our host was ever so eloquant in her tour and gave us the history of many of the pieces.

A further walk and drive along Ada BLVD capped off a truly magical fall weekend adventure.

I hope you all take a few hours to do the same.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Nice to hear Ian. I LOVE that area. We often walk our dog on Ada Blvd between 50 st and Gretzky Drive. Beautiful walk. I also have started going into the bookstore/coffee shop. Great atmosphere. I would encourage everyone to try it out. This is a great area that goes unnoticed for the most part.

I'd rather C2E than work!

My wife took me there last year for my birthday. Can't remember what I had but i do remember being impressed.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Definitely one of Edmonton's special neighborhoods.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Ian, I had almost that exact experience last spring. It's one of my favourite parts of town. I've gotta back before the snow flies for a drink in the La Boheme lounge which looks interesting.

It is a great area. I only wish that retail strip was more than 1 block.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^I like how it is really only one intersection, it is simple and special.
    www.decl.org

I've enjoyed the corner there too Ian. Always been some nice places there.

Wonder if anybody can help me.

I wanted to look at the menus but whenever I click on one of the pdf menus I get an adobe error report. I have no trouble with Adobe anywhere else.

http://culinafamily.ca/highlands/

Weird.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Ian the coffee was from Cat Fish correct ?
    Love their products !
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

^I believe that was the name, yes.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

I wanted to look at the menus but whenever I click on one of the pdf menus I get an adobe error report. I have no trouble with Adobe anywhere else.

Weird.
    works for me
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Weird.
    works for me
    Sorry, turns out I needed some updates. (Adobe was working just the other day.) Its working now, Good looking menu.

I agree that any mention of the area should include a reminder of how close one is to the Beautiful Ada Boulevard walk. Nice way to leisurely stroll off a few of the lbs gained at any of these local eateries.

ps, just a mile east on Ada Boulevard is the 110Ave/Hillside crescent spur with a few houses rignt in the River Valley. Quite the anomaly in Edmonton and kind of our own mini slice of Marina drive without the ostentation and ocean.. (OK, I can dream.)
    Still, its an odd residential place being so close to the river. Not much left like that in Edmonton.
    Last edited by Replacement; 25-10-2010 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    I agree. A lot of character and class.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

C2E Continued Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    I agree. A lot of character and class.
    A visual treat at this time of year with all the decorating. One street has the folks stringing the lights across the street from tree to tree. A beautiful area rich in history and solitudes.....
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Reviving an old thread. I have always like the Highlands neighbourhood.

^Do they still run the Christmas lights over the street just East of La Boheme Restaurant and south of 112th Ave?

It was always my favorite compared to Candy Cane Lane. Just simple lights running across the treed boulevard with beautiful 100 years old houses lining the street. Does anyone have any pictures they can post?

For those interested in the history of the area, the COE printed this guide a few years back.
    http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...alkingTour.pdf
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Yes lights are up, I believe its 56 street, so bit down from Boheme. There are a number of other houses in the area that a wonderfully decorated. Great area to park and walk. Not sure if they still decorate the McGrath Mansion, its wonderful to see when lit. I drove by about a week ago and it was dark.

highlander

Yes, it's 56st. The McGrath Mansion has been getting it's decorations the last few afternoons. No fancy stuff, but a whole lot of lights.

Thanks, I always forget the street #. It is really like an old fashioned Christmas, the best decorated in the city, very classy IMHO.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

There are also a couple of 40-50 foot spruce trees around 58st that are usually done very well. Much better than our city center tree - (I will reserve further comment on this and try and keep this post to a rave.)

I suggested to the COE that rather than cutting a tree from a forest, that in summer they run a program where people wanting to remove mature evergreens from their yards, that the best one could be donated for Churchill Sq. . Having your tree removed for free and reused for Christmas with the bonus of being the first to throw the switch would be a really nice program. Many trees I have seen cut down in the city are far nicer that what they have had donated from forestry companies.

EPCOR actually supplies the tree & sets it up & I believe the trees are taken from the same place/tree farms we get power poles from.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I couldn't agree with you more on this idea PRT. Said exact same thing to my wife when we drove by the downtown tree.

I know the one I had removed from my front yard was much much fuller than the current display. The other neat thing is that most of these trees are grown from saplings that are given out in school. I know my tree from grade 1 is about 30 ft tall and full should be ready in about 10 more years!

My neighbour had two 45 foot Blue spruces flanking his front yard and a 50+ ft one in the back that he had to have cut down as they were too huge for the yard. They were absolutely perfect examples and it was a shame to see them shred them up. The branches alone filled two trucks with chips. The arborist agreed with me as well with the Christmas tree idea. There is a massive tree spade in the city but even that cannot move trees with 3 ft trunks.

105" in action - University of Alberta
    http://www.bigspade.com/

Reusing one glorious tree would be a nice way to go to tree heaven

Old Culina Highlands space has been purchased, something we all like Downtown is opening up there soonish.
    www.decl.org

^ I'm guessing the Sabor/Bodega/Urbano Pizza folks. And I'm extrapolating this from your tweet that you were at Bodega last night!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^I was at lots of places Friday night
    www.decl.org