Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: JAYCOPTER @ World's Fair '64

  1. #1

    Default JAYCOPTER @ World's Fair '64

    Today, I came across some old documents of my father's on the Jaycopter. It was an Edmonton Company. Here's a bit of interesting trivia on it taken from The World's Fair Community .org site:

    "From an on-line reference:

    the Jaycopter Corporation, made a 16-seat model for use at the New York World’s Fair of 1964-65. There, the Jaycopter hosted famous passengers including John F. Kennedy Jr. and Caroline Kennedy. Three eight-seat models were also produced, and were set up at midways throughout North America in Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver and San Diego, California."

    http://www.worldsfaircommunity.org/i...?showtopic=477

    http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf64/jaycopter.htm


    More from Alberta Inventors and Inventions site:

    http://www.abheritage.ca/abinvents/i...pter_page1.htm





    ...AND SOMETHING SOME C2E VISITORS MIGHT EVEN REMEMBER FROM THEIR CHILDHOODS

    It was called the "Baby Jay"

    http://marvin3m.com/arcade/jaycopt.htm


    ,
    Last edited by KC; 25-10-2010 at 02:09 PM.

  2. #2
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    5,747

    Default

    Wow, thanks KC. That's a very serious blast from the past.

    Only thing, shortly after I remembered playing one of those, I needed a Tylenol for arthritis pain .......
    ... gobsmacked

  3. #3
    Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    772

    Default

    I remember playing with the Jaycopter machine at the Edmonton International airport in the early 70's. I didn't know about its heritage at the time. There is one at the Aviation Museum.

  4. #4

    Default

    I forgot to mention - from the documents its address was:

    Building 14, Industrial Airport , Edmonton, Canada.

    The 16-passenger model would "fly to a ceiling of 90 fee and have a 125-foot diamatere circular flight path. It (was) powered by electric motors..."



    P.S. I hope the City puts together some sort of commemorative for the municipal airport and all that it did for Edmonton. (This is just one more small bit of the airport's history.)
    Last edited by KC; 25-10-2010 at 02:50 PM.

  5. #5

    Default

    OMG I remember the little arcade JayCopter!!! That was sooo awesome! They were rare when I was a kid though.

  6. #6

    Default

    I gather that the original plan was to build the full scale models for civilian and military pilot training.

    Amazing product / marketing line though: They offered everything from a great little toy version, to a World's Fair (entertainment) version to the training version itself.

  7. #7

    Default

    Total flashback! I remember playing that once at the Muni.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

  8. #8
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    392

    Default

    I remember playing the toy version in the airport as well. It was a blast!

  9. #9

    Default

    Playing with the toy version is my earliest (and one of my only) personal memory of the Muni.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  10. #10

    Default

    KC

    The original Jaycopter is at the Reynolds Alberta Museum awaiting restoration.

    Similar to the worlds fair version but designed as a helicopter trainer for instructor and student...never caught on.

    The Arcade version as you know did and went around the world.

    The Alberta Aviation Museum has (2) you can come down and operate
    (1) very early model (1) version from the late 60s, early 70s. Drop down and spend a quarter to relive your childhood.

    Tom

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    KC

    The original Jaycopter is at the Reynolds Alberta Museum awaiting restoration.

    Similar to the worlds fair version but designed as a helicopter trainer for instructor and student...never caught on.

    The Arcade version as you know did and went around the world.

    The Alberta Aviation Museum has (2) you can come down and operate
    (1) very early model (1) version from the late 60s, early 70s. Drop down and spend a quarter to relive your childhood.

    Tom
    I worked for Pete Jacobs along about '67 or '68. Several of us, including one of his nephews were involved in building Baby Jays as well as running an 8 passenger Jaycopter as an amusement ride in Happy Valley near Calgary.

    Pete was a wonderful man to work for and it is a shame that his invention never received the recognition it deserved.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Warman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    KC

    The original Jaycopter is at the Reynolds Alberta Museum awaiting restoration.

    Similar to the worlds fair version but designed as a helicopter trainer for instructor and student...never caught on.

    The Arcade version as you know did and went around the world.

    The Alberta Aviation Museum has (2) you can come down and operate
    (1) very early model (1) version from the late 60s, early 70s. Drop down and spend a quarter to relive your childhood.

    Tom
    I worked for Pete Jacobs along about '67 or '68. Several of us, including one of his nephews were involved in building Baby Jays as well as running an 8 passenger Jaycopter as an amusement ride in Happy Valley near Calgary.

    Pete was a wonderful man to work for and it is a shame that his invention never received the recognition it deserved.
    Jim

    We hope to change that for Pete Jacobs and others in time.

    If things can be worked out with the City of Edmonton for additional space on our current site or if we are forced to do something different we hope to gain enough room to be able to tell more of Edmonton's aviation stories and the Jaycopter is one.

    We also hope to be able to have the room to showcase the people of:
    Aircraft Maintenance #1
    North West Industries
    SPAR Aerospace

    As well as the the lives of the mechanics, ground crews and flight engineers that kept things working day to day...could not have happened without them.

    We also need to create galleries for World War One and between the Wars, Agricultural aviation, Water bombing, Air Ambulance Services and expand existing.

    We are working on it but it takes time, space and people (yeah money too) and right now the single biggest problem is space.

    Thanks for your information.

    Thomas Hinderks
    Executive Director
    Alberta Aviation Museum

  13. #13
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    5,747

    Default

    Working Jaycopter in an arena / entertainment district?

    Outside the new RAM?

    Bedside a funicular platform at Rossdale?

    Or, built into the public space of the ECCA development?
    ... gobsmacked

  14. #14

    Default

    Noise complaints?
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

  15. #15
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    5,747

    Default

    That's ironic because the ECCA idea was an afterthought!
    ... gobsmacked

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Working Jaycopter in an arena / entertainment district?

    Outside the new RAM?

    Bedside a funicular platform at Rossdale?

    Or, built into the public space of the ECCA development?
    It is an interesting idea but a reproduction that would meet today's safety standards and be electrically powered would be hellishly expensive.

    Neat but expensive

    Tom

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Warman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    KC

    The original Jaycopter is at the Reynolds Alberta Museum awaiting restoration.

    Similar to the worlds fair version but designed as a helicopter trainer for instructor and student...never caught on.

    The Arcade version as you know did and went around the world.

    The Alberta Aviation Museum has (2) you can come down and operate
    (1) very early model (1) version from the late 60s, early 70s. Drop down and spend a quarter to relive your childhood.

    Tom
    I worked for Pete Jacobs along about '67 or '68. Several of us, including one of his nephews were involved in building Baby Jays as well as running an 8 passenger Jaycopter as an amusement ride in Happy Valley near Calgary.

    Pete was a wonderful man to work for and it is a shame that his invention never received the recognition it deserved.
    Jim

    We hope to change that for Pete Jacobs and others in time.

    If things can be worked out with the City of Edmonton for additional space on our current site or if we are forced to do something different we hope to gain enough room to be able to tell more of Edmonton's aviation stories and the Jaycopter is one.

    We also hope to be able to have the room to showcase the people of:
    Aircraft Maintenance #1
    North West Industries
    SPAR Aerospace

    As well as the the lives of the mechanics, ground crews and flight engineers that kept things working day to day...could not have happened without them.

    We also need to create galleries for World War One and between the Wars, Agricultural aviation, Water bombing, Air Ambulance Services and expand existing.

    We are working on it but it takes time, space and people (yeah money too) and right now the single biggest problem is space.

    Thanks for your information.

    Thomas Hinderks
    Executive Director
    Alberta Aviation Museum
    Another photo...



    http://www.worldsfaircommunity.org/t...365-jaycopter/


    A posting from 2006...

    1965 Jaycopter found

    By the way, in the Flickr picture that Randy L. posted, see the "blue block" on the opposite end of the 'crane' from the helicopter? That's the counterweight, and it moved in and out on the track that you see there. How that movement was synchronized to the throttle controls was the key to how the whole thing worked, to keep the powerful helicopter from wrenching and twisting the support structure into a heap of scrap metal. Competitors weren't able to figure it out or make it work right. But the Jaycopter people came up with the right equations. But the thing that did in Jaycopter before they could get into mass production, was the advent of computerized flight controls and advanced flight simulators.

    But the experts (that I found on the web) say that even the best of today's flight simulators still does not reproduce as accurately the sensation of helicopter flying the way that the Jaycopter did."


    http://www.worldsfaircommunity.org/t...ycopter-found/
    =====
    "Does not ship to Canada" A bit of irony there. Too bad - I've have bought it and donated it to the museum...

    1964 COKE BOTTLE CAP of the Jaycopter Ride at the New York World's Fair

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-COKE-BO...p2047675.l2557

    ====

    Someday I hope to go through my dad's old photos, etc. and scan in some of the WWII/post-WWII Aircraft Repair information. I've already donated some stuff to the City Archives on their manufacturing of planes, boats, etc. plus an organizational chart, etc.



    A friend sent me this news today - maybe an opportunity to highlight Edmonton's history regarding pilot training...


    New Edmonton pilot training centre expected to boost economic development
    BY BILL MAH, EDMONTON JOURNAL JUNE 17, 2015
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...#__federated=1
    Last edited by KC; 18-06-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •