Thread: Edmonton Street Photography

Default Edmonton Street Photography

So I've started doing a lot of street photography in the last little while and I thought I would share some of it. It's a whole different style from my usual, and it took some getting used to but I am pretty comfortable with it now.

If you are unsure what 'street photography' is here's a blurb from wikipedia:

Street photography is a type of documentary photography that features subjects in candid situations within public places such as streets, parks, beaches, malls, political conventions and other settings.
    Street photography uses the techniques of straight photography in that it shows a pure vision of something, like holding up a mirror to society. Street photography often tends to be ironic and can be distanced from its subject matter, and often concentrates on a single human moment, caught at a decisive or poignant moment. On the other hand, much street photography takes the opposite approach and provides a very literal and extremely personal rendering of the subject matter, giving the audience a more visceral experience of walks of life they might only be passingly familiar with. In the 20th century, street photographers have provided an exemplary and detailed record of street culture in Europe and North America, and elsewhere to a somewhat lesser extent.
    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_photography

Here's some recent shots:

All pics mine, hosted on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/badcomputer/
    Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

Partially Addicted to C2E

The best.
    Many thanks.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Very nice work. Lee Friedlander has always been my fav in this genre - love this sort of stuff.

Addicted to C2E

Excellent work, Thank you for sharing this with us. It was not too long ago , there was not much life in the downtown streetscape. Here is proof otherwise, and there will be more to come .I would look forward to more your work throughout our seasons.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Wonderful shots.

One observation, not related to your work but inevitable nevertheless:

Boy, are we fat.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Love shots like this
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

You take a lot of shots of pretty girls. They're generally my least favourite models in this kind of format. The black and white just gives itself to the grungy, dirty, hairy subjects.

Still, lots of good shots though.

Some really nice shots. Seeing your pics is always one of my C2E visiting highlights.
    For what it's worth, try spending more time selecting your background and waiting for something to happen. Time consuming, but with patience come great results.

What type of camera/lens are you using? We just picked up a Micro 4/3s to take images to hang in our clinic and have been having a ton of fun so far.

Your color is turning out quite nicely... the man crossing the street with his back to camera is the tops for me.
    Alberta Momentum Massage Therapy-
    Edmonton's #1 choice for massage!

Nice pics. I guess I have to ask the question on what the etiquette is for shooting complete strangers (in some of the photos it looks like the people didn't even realize they were being photographed) and then publicizing. They are in public places so I'm sure legally it's ok, that's why I used the term etiquette.

^The link in the original post links to the topic (in general).
    "A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Love shots like this
    Hey IanO, you take great pics too, I hope you or bulliver got pics today of the cattle drive downtown, I had to work today downtown and couldn`t catch it. thanks bulliver for your pics
    Last edited by murphys; 06-11-2010 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 7 View Post
    Some really nice shots. Seeing your pics is always one of my C2E visiting highlights.
    For what it's worth, try spending more time selecting your background and waiting for something to happen. Time consuming, but with patience come great results.
    Agreed 7, I realize these are for the most part boring shots of people walking and standing and that's all...but I am new to street, and at this point I am just trying to work on the courage to shoot strangers, and the focus and framing from shooting at the hip.

Quote Originally Posted by Alberta Momentum Massage
    What type of camera/lens are you using?
    These were all taken with a Nikon D90, 16-85mm VRII lens...

Quote Originally Posted by Transplanted_Edm
    Nice pics. I guess I have to ask the question on what the etiquette is for shooting complete strangers (in some of the photos it looks like the people didn't even realize they were being photographed) and then publicizing. They are in public places so I'm sure legally it's ok, that's why I used the term etiquette.
    It is indeed legal to take shots of people in public, and to display the pictures for art/journalistic/editorial purposes. It is not legal to use them for commercial purposes. As for etiquette, almost all these pictures are of people who were unaware of my shooting them. Although I don't have to, if someone objected to me taking their picture and they were reasonable about it, I would delete their picture. I am not doing this to **** people off...I realize some people may find it intrusive, but you must weigh that against the good of society. I am not saying that my pictures are that great, but if street photography were illegal then we would not have pictures like this, and millions of other candid shots that document moments in time from various eras:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-J_Day_in_Times_Square

Quote Originally Posted by murphys
    Hey IanO, you take great pics too, I hope you or bulliver got pics today of the cattle drive downtown, I had to work today downtown and couldn`t catch it. thanks bulliver for your pics
    I was indeed down there, here you go:

I'd rather C2E than work!

Your photos are so vibrant - are you doing much post processing, or do you have a filter on your lens?

I'd like to experiment with this a bit as well, not really for getting shots around Edmonton, but when I travel. I always find when I come back from my travels I haven't really captured the feel of where I went because I don't have any street photos. Unfortunately that can sometimes be hard to get, as pulling a $1,500 camera out in some places (such as Ukraine, where I was a month or so ago) can draw a lot of unwanted attention.

Quote Originally Posted by bulliver View Post

I love the AGA in the background of the cattle and cowboys. Nice juxtaposition there.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Your photos are so vibrant - are you doing much post processing, or do you have a filter on your lens?
    No filter, minimal processing. It's all about the light...start with good light and you'll have a good photo. If the light is dull and dreary then you photo will be as well...though sometimes that may be exactly what you want.

You may be interested in this guy's work, he shoots street in the Ukraine, and other places. I hear what you're saying, and the only advice I can offer is be brave, and be smart. Don't be alone. Be aware of your surroundings...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thom-davies/

I'd rather C2E than work!

Thanks, I'll check it out. We only had one day in Kiev, and it was overcast. Most of my time was in Donetsk (my wife's hometown), a city that doesn't get many tourists, and pulling a camera out gets noticed quickly (even a point-and-shoot).

Another great example of this kind of thread and how much NYC rocks.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=186551
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^ Thanks for that link, Ian. There are some great pics on there.
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

I love the AGA in the background of the cattle and cowboys. Nice juxtaposition there.
    just get rid of those god-forsaken traffic lights!!!

Trying something a bit different. This isn't really street photography, could be more correctly called 'street portraiture', as I asked random people to pose, thus, shots are not candids.

Great shots. Very unique and intriguing.

^i recognize the guy on the left from somewhere, but i can't remember where?