Thread: AGA - Art Gallery of Alberta

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default AGA - Art Gallery of Alberta

Went to the AGA with family yesterday. I've been to a wedding in the main hall before, but not in the galleries. We took the inlaws there as part of their 60th bday. What a great experience. There was actually a line up 10 people long at the reception of people waiting to pay. The space is fantastic, and I really enjoyed the gift shop they have. The Matisse display was interesting, but everyone seemed entralled with the Oil (Edward Burtynsky) display on the top floor. We started at 3:30 and got kicked out at 5pm when the gallery closed. Would have liked to spend more time there. The little coffee shop on the top floor is a nice touch.

As luck would have it, they were lighting the tree in the square as we got out, so the fireworks were a nice addition to the birthdays we were celebrating.

Parking in the library parkade was only $1 for a couple hours.

C2E Posting Power

I heard that oil display is fantastic. will be checking it out myself.... thx for the review!
    i love lamp

C2E Long Term Contributor

REMINDER:

Saturday, November 20, 9 pm-2 am

Come out and party in the Gallery with a mix of Alberta-based talent! Take in three floors of exhibitions, groove to slick tunes by local DJs and immerse yourself in oil-inspired dance performances. Participate in interactive art projects – build a ‘manufactured landscape’ and create your own ‘carbon footprint’ to add to an ongoing installation piece!

Performances: MILE ZERO Dance
    Music: DJs Fish Griwkowsky and Sideponytail
    Five exhibitions: works by Burtynsky, Matisse, Picasso, Kandinsky, St. Pierre and more
    Get creative: interactive art projects
    Get social: drinks and snacks

Tickets

$20 advance / $25 door
    AGA Members 10% off / AGA Ultra Members 50% off
    Purchase tickets online

Must be 18+ to attend

OIL Photo Contest

Enter our OIL Photo Contest for your chance to win two tickets Refinery – and to see your photos on the big screen at the party!
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Good to hear you had a great time at the gallery. I have talked to several people that have attended the gallery since it opened and have heard nothing but positive comments.

Finally got to see the Lobby for my Staff Appreciation. Very nice lobby. Will have to go back to view the whole building one day.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

I saw the Oil exhibit last week, and will go again. It will be here until January. There are about 40 images, and crystal clear, as if you were looking out of a window. It's an exhibit that's well-worth seeing. Also the Group of Seven exhibit is interesting.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

I was at the AGA as well last Sunday to see Burtynsky's fabulous industrial landscapes. Matisse's drawings and sculptures were very interesting as well, illustrating his artistic evolution and a lesser known side of his boy of work. All definitely worth seeing.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Is there some reason why we need a new thread for the gallery? Couldn't this be added to one of the other ones?

^ Because this board can use more Raves!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

My Husband and I went to the AGA for our anniversary, after a delicious brunch at Zinc (which was almost empty btw) we went upstairs where a guided tour of the Oil exihibit was just starting. We were the only ones there so our tour ended up being a private one!

Our guide was very knowledgeable and it was a stunning exhibit. It was especially interesting to see the pics at the end of the countries where the oil industry has dried up... it kind of puts into question the "Albertan Attitude" that the good times will keep on rolling.

Overall, very impressed!

Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The 17 most beautiful museums around the world

Add some architecture to your travels
    BY MEGAN [email protected] FEB 23, 2017, 12:12PM EST
    http://www.curbed.com/2017/2/23/1469...d-architecture

Great to see, we need more awareness and publicity of it.
    www.decl.org

Good list, AGA belongs as the sole Canadian building. But I do wish we'd get past this "borealis" thing. Russel Stout was perfectly clear that Aurora Borealis had nothing to do with his inspiration, and that the steel ribbon is 100% the North Saskatchewan River from the map.

Funny how much the Italian museum made me think about the new RAM. I'd agree the Italian museum belongs and I wouldn't say RAM would, but it makes me see the new RAM slightly differently.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Great to see, we need more awareness and publicity of it.
    We need more Edmontonians to challenge the art in person and try to figure out what the artists are trying to say. That's what will make it relevant other than for a fantastic building.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Man o man I love events on their main floor space next to Zinc. Amazing space for about 100.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    The 17 most beautiful museums around the world

Add some architecture to your travels
    BY MEGAN [email protected] FEB 23, 2017, 12:12PM EST
    What a ridiculous list.

This, found in the quote section does it for me;

"Many of these are hideous/cold/neo-brutalist looking"

Indeed that seems to be the flavor of the day. Most of these looked like complete jokes. This is what the present day architectural world aspires to. Its like a competition to see the most ridiculous looking designs. Oh, no, I found the apparent inspiration for the drab and hideous looking new RAM.

Who paid to get the AGA on this list? Looks like a small cousin and its a rip off in anycase.
    Last edited by Replacement; 24-03-2017 at 10:52 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^ You must be seriously bored if you're running out of threads for your thread crapping, so you have to resort to responding to month-old posts. You got nothing better to do on a Friday night?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^ You must be seriously bored if you're running out of threads for your thread crapping, so you have to resort to responding to month-old posts. You got nothing better to do on a Friday night?
    When you're older and retired a Friday night is like any other, thanks. on the other hand you are much younger, and reading this, on a Friday night...

gotcha
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/c...ts-from-now-on

As of Tuesday, the AGA will be offering free admission to all children and youth under the age of 18. Admission will also be free to anyone registered as a student in an Alberta post-secondary institution, regardless of age.

The policy change was announced to coincide with spring break for many Edmonton-area primary and secondary students — which should come as good news to any parents trying to figure out just what to do with their progeny this week.

Before Tuesday, admission was free for children six and under, but $8.50 for children and students over seven. That meant taking three school-aged children or teens to the AGA could cost $25.50 for the kids alone.

Now, a trip to the downtown art museum might suddenly be affordable for families who couldn’t or wouldn’t have considered a trip. Certainly, the change instantly makes the AGA more financially accessible to families than some other Edmonton attractions.

Wonderful initiative and idea.
    www.decl.org

While apparently there is unanimous back slapping about the exterior of the art gallery the galleries themselves are small, pinched, and generally unpleasant. The children's area was at best an afterthought. Makerspace my ***.

The problems with the art gallery are more fundamental than just the prohibitive cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/c...ts-from-now-on

As of Tuesday, the AGA will be offering free admission to all children and youth under the age of 18. Admission will also be free to anyone registered as a student in an Alberta post-secondary institution, regardless of age.

The policy change was announced to coincide with spring break for many Edmonton-area primary and secondary students — which should come as good news to any parents trying to figure out just what to do with their progeny this week.

Before Tuesday, admission was free for children six and under, but $8.50 for children and students over seven. That meant taking three school-aged children or teens to the AGA could cost $25.50 for the kids alone.

Now, a trip to the downtown art museum might suddenly be affordable for families who couldn’t or wouldn’t have considered a trip. Certainly, the change instantly makes the AGA more financially accessible to families than some other Edmonton attractions.
    It would be remiss of me not to applaud the AGA on this kids and youth get in free direction. That is a powerful, expansive, and inclusive thing to do and that will pay dividends for the gallery, and the children and youth that take part in free visits. I mentioned in another thread that the Provincial Museum was formerly free not only to kids but to all. That was a huge positive resource, of learning, and exposure to the exhibits for all.

Art for all. Wonderful.