Thread: Elk Island Park

Addicted to C2E

Default Elk Island Park

Very Interesting Video from the National Film Board of Canada
    http://www.nfb.ca/film/elk_island

C2E SME

I think it would be great to have a hotel or campground along Highway 14, which could access the Blackfoot/Cooking Lake/Elk Island Area.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I think it would be great to have a hotel or campground along Highway 14, which could access the Blackfoot/Cooking Lake/Elk Island Area.
    There is camping available in Elk Island. I have stayed overnight there last summer.

We were in a tent but I saw others in campers and smaller RVs.

From their website:
    Description

Sandy Beach Campground ( map ) is located in the Astotin Lake Area ( map ) of Elk Island National Park ( map ). The campground is comprised of 77 semi-serviced sites (15 walk-in tenting, 23 recreational vehicle, and 39 general purpose) as well as an unserviced overflow area. Flush toilets, free showers, a pay telephone, and picnic shelters are located in the main portion of the campground. The washrooms and some sites are accessible to persons with disabilities. Firewood provided is unsplit; bring an axe.

Plains Bison from October 13, just minutes from utter urbanity.

Great park! A couple years ago I bought an Elk Island Park window sticker while there and put it on the back of my truck in order to promote the park.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Nice pics Spill. Most people are clueless...

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Nice pics Spill. Most people are clueless...
    Shhh. They're happy with their big screens and 24/7 streaming 'entertainment'.

Mmmmm. Bison Burgers!
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Top_Dawg can attest there's excellent hiking trails of various lengths throughout the park.

Makes for a great day when you want to blow the carbon out of your lungs.

C2E Posting Power

http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/photos/6546583/

Often what I will do is take my pickup truck out to Elk Island on both weeknights and weekends, inflate my mattress, and sleep under the stars with hot chocolate am AM radio. Here's an example of some of my elk island photography on the nat geo website. I'm out there as much as I can because albeit I love Edmonton and just got my property downtown - I'm a country boy through and through.

Great news, but I wonder if this will eventually hurt tourism to Elk Island.

After a century, the bison are back in Banff National Park

Michele Jarvie, Calgary Herald, February 6, 2017

“If it works, we are actually setting the seeds for just one of four plains bison populations in North America that are actually interacting with their environment,” he said. “That will be a first in over 140 years in Banff National Park, and that’s really why we’re doing this is to make them wild again.

“They’ve been absent from this landscape for too long and so I think today is the hooves on the ground beginning of trying to bring that back.”

Backcountry travellers will be able to access the remote reintroduction zone by a two-day hike, ski or horseback trip, but require a backcountry camping permit to do so."

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-national-park
    Last edited by KC; 06-02-2017 at 05:21 PM.

Even after the 30% increase in the last 5 years, Elk Island only gets <10% of the visitors that Banff does.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/docs/pc/attend/table3.aspx
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

KC, the reintroduction won't have any impact on Elk Island numbers. The majority of the herd continues to be at Elk Island and will repopulate in anycase. The Banff herd will be inaccessible to anybody but the most fervent backcountry hiker. Also, as per the article there was a Buffalo herd at Cascade Mountain up until 1997.

Elk Island staff have actually done a phenomenal job getting people back to the park. A 100K increase in visitors for a smaller park is quite significant. Albeit this is a beautiful area that deserves to be used more.

The striking thing in the attendance numbers, and I've looked at it before, is how sparsely attended so many NP's are. Theres only a dozen parks around the country that have greater attendance than Elk Island now. Half of those are Rocky Mountain NP's. Being residents of Alberta we probably tend to think of NP's as crowded places and that Elk Island is a forgotten gem. In reality there are countless provinces that don't frequent their NP's much at all. For instance anywhere in Atlantic Canada except PEI, Ontario, Manitoba, Sask have few visitors to their NP's.
    I'm amazed frankly that a place like Cape Breton has less visits than Elk Island. Given how much Edmontonians go to Jasper, Banff, other NP's its pretty significant that we still give Elk Island the degree of support. Most people around the country just forget about their more local NP's which is a shame. Although which affords better protection of those environments through visitor neglect.
    Last edited by Replacement; 07-02-2017 at 12:13 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Our national parks are fairly accessible. The other ones, not so much. That's the primary reason for difference in attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Our national parks are fairly accessible. The other ones, not so much. That's the primary reason for difference in attendance.
    Some of the other NP's around the country are assessable and not too far away from populated areas. Of course there are those that are very remote and that's reflected in the parks that have the very lowest numbers of visitors.

But its harder to imagine why numbers for say Cape Breton, Point Pelee, Riding Mountain, etc have numbers as low as they are. In some of those cases it just seems to be a case of disinterest. Which is hard to understand as Cape Breton particularly is a brilliant area to see and even in Autumn.
    Last edited by Replacement; 07-02-2017 at 12:26 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

No real attractions, no visitor amenities, still fairly distant from population centers, off the beaten path.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Some of the other NP's around the country are assessable and not too far away from populated areas. Of course there are those that are very remote and that's reflected in the parks that have the very lowest numbers of visitors.

But its harder to imagine why numbers for say Cape Breton, Point Pelee, Riding Mountain, etc have numbers as low as they are. In some of those cases it just seems to be a case of disinterest. Which is hard to understand as Cape Breton particularly is a brilliant area to see and even in Autumn.
    Riding Mountain was quite memorable too!

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Riding Mountain was quite memorable too!
    Yep. Riding Mountain and Cape Breton are both well worth the time. Its hard to understand the lack of huge numbers at those parks. Cape Breton certainly isn't lacking for amenities, attractions either. Theres one spellbinding view after another there, historic attractions, charming villages, some of the best value B and B's in the country to stay in. Cape Breton was one of the hilites of one of our National trips.
    That said theres lots to see in NS but Cape Breton for our money was by the far the best thing in the province.

These are just some of the attractions in Cape Breton island.
    http://www.capebreton.com/things-to-do/attractions/

More specifically the National Park which is a large portion of the Cape Breton island.
    http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ns/cbreton/index.aspx

The Cabot Trail, deserves to be mentioned, is spectacular and hiking trails and other recreation options abound in the area.

Anyway, Elk Island is a park we've always loved and enjoyed and nice to see it getting some love. Don't forget it in winter either as lots of trails out there, great place for Cross country, snow shoeing etc.
    Last edited by Replacement; 07-02-2017 at 04:26 PM.