Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324
Results 2,301 to 2,304 of 2304

Thread: Snow and the city Streets

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    ^November was certainly winter and the worst November we have had in decades...
    What? Yeah it was chilly, but hardly got any snow. Were you not around in 2013, 14 and 15? Those years were between 30-50 cm of snow, mostly overnight. 2013 saw 50cm in November. I specifically remember 2014 being bad and I spent a lot of my day helping people push their cars because everyone was getting stuck in the deep snow, and I had to drive my wife to work all week (She has a little car with no ground clearance). That was also a big overnight dump. Same with November 2015, I drove my wife to work for a week. Sure last year (2016) was mild, but this November was also very mild in my opinion. I would not even think to say it was the worst November in a decades... I have yet to even break out my snowblower this year because it's quicker to shovel...

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post
    ^November was certainly winter and the worst November we have had in decades...
    What? Yeah it was chilly, but hardly got any snow. Were you not around in 2013, 14 and 15? Those years were between 30-50 cm of snow, mostly overnight. 2013 saw 50cm in November. I specifically remember 2014 being bad and I spent a lot of my day helping people push their cars because everyone was getting stuck in the deep snow, and I had to drive my wife to work all week (She has a little car with no ground clearance). That was also a big overnight dump. Same with November 2015, I drove my wife to work for a week. Sure last year (2016) was mild, but this November was also very mild in my opinion. I would not even think to say it was the worst November in a decades... I have yet to even break out my snowblower this year because it's quicker to shovel...

I suspect we will get lots of snow Jan/Feb, if not, the COE will have some money again..like last the last snow budget.

I'd rather C2E than work!

^November was certainly winter and the worst November we have had in decades.
    Worst since 2013, average for the last 40 years with

November:
    Means: 19cm snow, -4.1
    2017: ~18cm snow, -6.7 (estimate because EC doesn't have snowfall totals anymore just snow on ground which maxed at 13cm)
    2013: 44cm snow, -8.1
    2006 - 28.5 cm and - 9.6
    2003 - 28.8 cm and -7.0
    2001 - 26.3 cm and -1
    1998 - 35.2 cm and -4.2

The problem right now isn't how much snow we got but that it's now too warm and everything is thawing and freezing.
    Last edited by Paul Turnbull; 07-12-2017 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Found more recent numbers.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    ^November was certainly winter and the worst November we have had in decades.
    Worst since 2013, average for the last 40 years with

November:
    Means: 19cm snow, -4.1
    2017: ~18cm snow, -6.7 (estimate because EC doesn't have snowfall totals anymore just snow on ground which maxed at 13cm)
    2013: 44cm snow, -8.1
    2006 - 28.5 cm and - 9.6
    2003 - 28.8 cm and -7.0
    2001 - 26.3 cm and -1
    1998 - 35.2 cm and -4.2

The problem right now isn't how much snow we got but that it's now too warm and everything is thawing and freezing.
    The numbers don't always tell the story. For road conditions continual light dustings are often the worse to gloss things up and make road conditions difficult. MOST Novembers we get frequent snow/melt cycles and the snow often disappears at some point in the month. This year is different and a contiguous snow blanket throughout November, which is extremely rare. Accumulations in November often disappear in whole or in part. So the ice and snow this early in the year has resembled curling type ice more typically found later in the winter. its very rare to get such polished ice in backroads and alleys this early in the year.

The average temps above don't tell the complete story either. Another factor would be high and low temp variance on an average basis. For instance November would commonly have +5 or higher daytime highs and sun which would melt snow. This November featured day time highs below, or around freezing. Meaning most of the snow stuck around.

As mentioned I snowshoe. Theres been complete winters where there has been less of a carpet of snow accumulation as we've seen this early, in November (and throughout November) Indeed I got the snoeshoes out mid November, and kept them in use. Earliest ever time where I could go out regularly. in a typical November there wouldn't even be half the days where you have good enough snow cover. This November its been the entire month.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324