Page 1 of 52 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: West Edmonton Mall | Renovations

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default West Edmonton Mall | Renovations

...starting this spring, Edmonton’s best-known tourist attraction and biggest shopping centre will undergo a multimillion-dollar facelift, West Edmonton Mall president and CEO Don Ghermezian said Thursday.

“You’re going to see a major redevelopment at West Edmonton Mall, commencing March and April of this year,” Ghermezian said.

“It will be through all of Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3, and it will be a major, major redevelopment of the shopping centre.

“You’ll see new ceilings, flooring, handrails, column treatments, bulkheads, fountains, soft-seating areas, bathrooms, entrances, pylons — a very extensive state-of-the-art retrofit and remodel.”

Renovations expected to last 18 to 24 months will give the mall a “very modern, sophisticated and elegant” appearance, Ghermezian said.

“It will not look like any other shopping centre in town. Quite frankly, I don’t think it will look like any shopping centre in Canada.”

Ghermezian could not give an exact price tag for the redevelopment, but said the project would cost “tens of millions.”
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 20-01-2011 at 11:33 PM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Great news, I hope they provide some renderings some time soon.

C2E Continued Contributor

I hope it involves exterior renos.
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

C2E SME

West Edmonton Mall still attracts top retailers, but I think a 21st-Century look would be great. The food courts look dirty, and the last renovations were Phase IV with Silver City.

WEM will always be known as the Disneyland of shopping malls, but it can't rest on its laurels.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E SME

Well remember there was also a reno not too long ago in the original food court, so I don't think they will be touching that one too much.

I definitely look forward to seeing some renderings.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I believe that the facelifts will be done inside but not outside.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Not a minute to soon. Let's hope all the mirrors are gone.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

good news, about time
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

This is fantastic news.

WEM is getting to look pretty depressing. It sounds like they want to class the place up a bit.

Classing it up would be to bring back Planet Hollywood, more brass, and putting the exotic birds back.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Classing it up would be to bring back Planet Hollywood, more brass, and putting the exotic birds back.
    Plan on installing a time machine do we? They could also pipe in Bette Davis Eye's back into to malls muzak system (as per the article) and don't forget the bear cubs in phase one by Eatons! Oh they can bring back Eatons while they are at it!

Jagators63 the Journal said they were going to redo the entrances so some of the exterior looks to be redone.

But obviously a very warm place must have frozen over for Triple5 to announce this. With the Simons store coming in it seemed to be some sort of catalyst for change. The bits about new waterslides and rides are great for the tourist crowds but the vast majority of Edmontonians just want all the clutter, mirrors, and ugly biege brick to go away.

Time will tell if it is a real reno on the scale of Kingsway or Southgate or just more band aids to cover up the scabs.

C2E Continued Contributor

The flamingoes are in Winnipeg for breeding. Not sure if they are supposed to be coming back.

My dream Reno would be for them to bury all the parking and cover it with landscaping (and redo the exterior).
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by iano View Post
    lmfao!!!!

you know, for a mall that is 30 years old and had minimal renovations done to it, it doesn't look too bad. I mean, it could be worse. I think its saving grace is all the natural light that gets into it during the day.

Bunkers tend to not go out of style...
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by jstock View Post
    I hope it involves exterior renos.
    Ya, this is worse than the interior. It's looks like a cancer from above.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by jstock View Post
    My dream Reno would be for them to bury all the parking and cover it with landscaping (and redo the exterior).
    What color is the sky in your world?

and only 2 days after the city approved placement of the LRT stop. Renovate the mall, then build out to meet the new raised platform. Seems like a pretty solid plan to me.

here is an article in French - simons - a quebec dept store is opening two new stores and the they are opening one outside of Quebec in West Edmonton Mall!

I think this might even be the first simons outside of Quebec!

http://lapresseaffaires.cyberpresse....8_accueil_POS5

an english article

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Simon...855/story.html

EDMONTON — La Maison Simons isn’t your typical new store opening at West Edmonton Mall.

For starters, the store will be so large that it will take over an entire corridor of the mall’s Europa Boulevard on Level 2 of Phase 3.

“We’re going to have to move in excess of 12 tenants to accommodate Simons,” said West Edmonton Mall president and CEO Don Ghermezian on Thursday. Some of the existing retailers will be relocated and others bought out and the store will take up some common space as well.

At 120,000 square feet, Simons will be nearly the size of the mall’s current Zellers store and four times its H & M shop.

Simons is expected to open in August 2012.

Simons coming to West Edmonton Mall is also remarkable in that it will be the popular Quebec clothing retailer’s first store outside its home province.

While traditional department stores are struggling to hold on to market share and losing sales to other retailers, the 170-year-old Quebec City-based chain is in growth mode.

The Edmonton store will be its eighth.

Industry observers describe Simons as a retail success story, selling affordable to high-priced fashions for men, women and home, including top designers and its own house labels.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/Simon...#ixzz1BhDClgns

oops double post

Bwahahahah

Seriously, though, I loved the Whale and really really want them to reinstall it again. Don't tell me it was removed via sledgehammer
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Glad to see this happening and almost right away too.
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Great News about the mall renos! I'm curious to see how it "won't look like any other major shopping centre in Canada"

Fantastic that they will be bringing in an Aqua-Loop!! - I wonder what 'extreme slides' will be replacing the skycreamer - let's hope it's a step up and not a step down like the altered raging rapids.

Can't wait to see what direction they go. So far IMHO Kingsway takes the crown, having completely blown Southgate's renos out of the water.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    Bwahahahah

Seriously, though, I loved the Whale and really really want them to reinstall it again. Don't tell me it was removed via sledgehammer
    When they removed it,they promised to relocate it to another area in the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    Not a minute to soon. Let's hope all the mirrors are gone.
    Those were my thoughts exactly - years ago. Since then I've realized how critical some of the mirrors are to the proper light distribution and visual perspectives in differing areas of the mall. The problem is that they went way overboard placing mirrors seemingly EVERYWHERE. They should have been used very minimally and very strategically.

i.e. some mirroring high up around the relatively narrow skylights visually widens one's perception of the sky and removing the mirrors might risk creating a feel that one is looking up from the bottom of a crevice. Those mirrors also aid in light distribution. Additionally some of the mirrors between floors also helps light distribution. In some places they also create a more 'open' feeling. Their application though looks really cheap due to the poor design.

^^Yeah, hopefully the dumpster area
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

You are S******G us correct? That thing looks like something out of Epcot Centre.

Now that's Funny! Yeah, it always did seem like they'd hired Jethro Bodine's design company when the built the place.

A few things on my wish list:
    - get rid of the carnival midway feel
    - repaint the IMAX / movie theatre exterior to more upscale colours (again - they too have a carnival look to them)
    - roof over the mall entryways to reduce the amount of snow and dirt that gets tracked in
    - drain the "cement pond", remove he ship and pond and turn the whole space into a large forest or tropical-like restaurant(s) with walking paths among the tables
    - somehow redo all the fake purple and blue and coloured rocks to look a lot nicer
    - clean up the water with their cracked marble floors and maybe add back a few of the fountains.

If I'd had my say years ago, I'd have redone the mall area around the hotel and maybe the whole sector floor around the pond to look a lot like the concourse mall at the Jasper Park Lodge - carpet and all. But then I'd have never in my life thought of having 'theme' rooms in a hotel. I guess they knew their market.

[QUOTE=darrellinyvr;344294]
    Plans released!!!

You are S******G us correct? That thing looks like something out of Epcot Centre.
    .... google 'Christmas in Wonderland"
    www.decl.org

Renos have started already at the northwest entrance by Golds Gym. New railings along with thicker glass and bulkhead treatment are in place.

The Ship needs to be used better thats for sure. I would hate to see it go though. But right now its way under utilized
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Quote Originally Posted by darrell yvr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PIanO View Post
    Viva Las Vegas. Was the architect pi$$ed who designed that. It looks like Rome meets New York meets Disney World meets a glass company meets disaster.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    The Ship needs to be used better thats for sure. I would hate to see it go though. But right now its way under utilized
    I always thought "shipwrecking" it and using it as part of a restaurant (kind of like the above post with the jungle theme) would be awesome.

Those pirate ship dining/adventures you can do in many tropical tourist zones like Cancun and the Bahamas are in high demand. Why not do something similar in West Ed, but slightly alter the theme?

they should make a Canadian experience and have igloos and teepees

^^They would not even have to retro-fit it with a kitchen. Use the ship for a coffee and cake stop. There is only one good coffee shop in WEM (Tim Horton's) and that is usually packed. I'm not saying the ship should sell Timmies but maybe another coffee place could take over.

there's no starbucks? :O

i heard nestle cafe is expanding into Canada - I imagine WEM will get the first location in Canada eh

http://www.nestlecafe.com/

Partially Addicted to C2E

There is also 2 starbucks in the mall and a cafe sorrentino and cafe levi...

Who wants to invest in my new WEM coffeeshop, Yar!Bucks, to be located in the pirate ship?

^'YarBucks' as in Buchcaners, very clever play on words. I'll be thar me hardy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Who wants to invest in my new WEM coffeeshop, Yar!Bucks, to be located in the pirate ship?
    Love it, I want in!
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Hahahahah

That would be cool
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Talking

GREAT IDEA!!, except the name needs changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darrell yvr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PIanO View Post
    Viva Las Vegas. Was the architect pi$$ed who designed that. It looks like Rome meets New York meets Disney World meets a glass company meets disaster.
    The funny thing is....those two towers look very much like the top of the Epcor Tower downtown. So it it the Epcot/Epcor/Reno LOLOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    I always thought "shipwrecking" it and using it as part of a restaurant (kind of like the above post with the jungle theme) would be awesome.

Those pirate ship dining/adventures you can do in many tropical tourist zones like Cancun and the Bahamas are in high demand. Why not do something similar in West Ed, but slightly alter the theme?
    How soon we forget the Rainforest Cafe concept from the 80's......
    Pirates of the Caribbean (Disney would sue again no doubt) with Captain Jack Sparrow look alikes as waiters. Maybe Triple 5 could call it The Pirates of Somalia and redo the Santa Maria as a hijacked tanker.....

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Does anyone else feel that a "multi-million $" reno isn't quite going to cut it if they plan to do this:

Renovations expected to last 18 to 24 months will give the mall a “very modern, sophisticated and elegant” appearance, Ghermezian said.

“It will not look like any other shopping centre in town. Quite frankly, I don’t think it will look like any shopping centre in Canada.”

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/trave...674/story.html

C2E SME

I wonder if they plan on moving forward with that expansion to the mall that they had planned a year or two ago. This would be the perfect time to do it considering they will be renovating and they will have a large chunk of the mall eaten up by the new dept store. Also this could be a great time to do some renovations that could interact better with the future LRT station.

C2E Posting Power

So nobody in this whole thread noticed the area of the mall they actually renoed already? Some test sections have been put in place...

I noticed them the last time I was there. It was like a different mall with the marble columns and the change to the store fronts, I really liked the new look.

If they want a sophisticated,elegant look as the news article states,I hope that the plans call for the elimination of those kiosks that sell purses/bounce on animals etc.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Does anyone else feel that a "multi-million $" reno isn't quite going to cut it if they plan to do this:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/trave...674/story.html
    Yeah the term "multi-million" does sound low but imagine how much cheap tile and paint that will buy .
    I think they are just using a generic term until they actually find out the budget. A complete update to the interior, entrances, upgrading the waterpark and Galaxyland is going to cost some serious $$$$.

But and this is a big BUT Triple5 has always been big on spin and hyperbole so time will tell if they actually walk the walk. The "test" section in front of the Victoria's Secret store is clean and nice looking but hardly "unlike any other mall in Canada"
    It's already unlike any other mall in Canada as inside WEM it's basically still the mid 80's while outside it's 2011.

grish

if they come close to what Yorkdale did in TO, I would be happy. But that's big shoes to fill in terms of style (on the inside of it).

Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    if they come close to what Yorkdale did in TO, I would be happy. But that's big shoes to fill in terms of style (on the inside of it).
    Yorkdale isw a great example of a stylish mall (interiorwise) as you said Sherway is also fairly nice. Eaton Centre downtown now going through a makeover of it's own to update some of it's glaring 70's design elements to me sets the bar in Toronto. Even though TEC was showing it's age in some respects it still is far classier and elegant than WEM ever was. Triple5 has always equated tacky flash and glitz as "design" without realizing that good design is almost timeless.
    WEM would look sooooo much nicer is they thinned out the ranks of Kiosks, Booths, Carts etc there is so much junk cluttering up the main mall it's like a carnival midway not a shopping mall.

I agree - those cart sales people are also SO annoying. I wonder how much WEM makes off those people, and how annoying others find them...

you all know that triple 5 owns Mall of America in minnesota, I do hope this WEM need to be more classic and nicer just like those Mall of America does.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I agree - those cart sales people are also SO annoying. I wonder how much WEM makes off those people, and how annoying others find them...
    I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone that doesn't think they are annoying. I fully understand that they have every right to be there,it's just their method of hassleing people.

Has anyone actually ever bought anything from those cars in the mall? Unless it's an actual permanent fixture, such as Cookies by George, or Sunglass Hut, I don't even give them the time of day.

At least the Dead Sea Salt people have toned down their aggressive mugging of passersby in most malls.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    At least the Dead Sea Salt people have toned down their aggressive mugging of passersby in most malls.
    They must be a franchise. I was in a mall in Phoenix last year,and they use the same sales pitch line.

Looks like the next phase of fountain removal going on by Bourbon St. Its all fenced off and the tiles and piping etc have been removed. There were some workers there mopping up the inner floor.
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    I hope that the plans call for the elimination of those kiosks that sell purses/bounce on animals etc.
    What ... you don't like the mini helicopters whizzing over your head or dodging the remote control trucks? Yeah ... me neither.

grish

a shopping mall is basically a market. i don't get the complaining about the kiosk people. They are peddling their stuff just like all others. what they don't have in splashy store fronts they make up in a particular style. If one deasn't want to do budiness with them do what I do: a combination of ignore/ no thank you depending on the mood.

I've always thought the fountains in general were noisy and unnecessary. I am not sad to see thm go unless the mall wants to do a Venice theme

Those kiosks are in every major shopping centre. They are actually a good source of additional revenue for a mall.

a shopping mall is basically a market. i don't get the complaining about the kiosk people. They are peddling their stuff just like all others. what they don't have in splashy store fronts they make up in a particular style. If one deasn't want to do budiness with them do what I do: a combination of ignore/ no thank you depending on the mood.

I've always thought the fountains in general were noisy and unnecessary. I am not sad to see thm go unless the mall wants to do a Venice theme
    I personally do not mind SOME carts or kiosks but if WEM has an extra couple of square feet bang! in goes a cart. Selling Hello Kitty Doggy Diapers or SHAM WOW wall to wall carpeting all sorts if "useful" stuff etc etc etc There is a limit people will engage with kiosks otherwise you dodge around them and tune them out. WEM still needs to learn less is more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    My brother and I got harassed by one of them a couple years back, the girl kept walking beside us, doing her pitch, until I eventually put my hand in her face and stated "I don't do mall carney's"

Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post

I personally do not mind SOME carts or kiosks but if WEM has an extra couple of square feet bang! in goes a cart. Selling Hello Kitty Doggy Diapers or SHAM WOW wall to wall carpeting all sorts if "useful" stuff etc etc etc There is a limit people will engage with kiosks otherwise you dodge around them and tune them out. WEM still needs to learn less is more.
    Don't know much about retail, do you.
    Parkdale

I find it funny that many of the same people that say we need more traffic congestion and street-fronting retail to create a sense of urbanism outside hypocritically say the opposite about how WEM should utilize it's space inside.

The same principles apply: create congestion, and load every remaining space with profit-generating retail. If the halls were clear, people would speed walk and miss most of what's going on. By slowing them down with congestion, all of a sudden that RC helicopter you would never have looked at might get a 2nd glance and become interesting. Obviously they sell enough to stay in business.

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post

Don't know much about retail, do you.
    Buddy, I have worked in the retail industry my entire life. So I think I may know a thing or two about it. You just proved YOU have a pretty limited understanding about how retail and malls work when it comes to a positive "customer experience". But I guess if your a pro at buying everything you need in your life at a flea market or garage sale then amount of tat clogging the aisles doesn't bother you. Try visiting some major malls in other parts of Canada, US, Europe, South America or South Africa like I have. Not one I have seen is nearly as cluttered with crap as WEM.

But if you like it then WEM is obviously marketing to your demographic not mine.

grish

Solid Mall. I watch 'Who Framed Woger Wabbit' there and the Holiday Inn across the street has a killer atrium tennis court... well it did in the 80s.
    www.decl.org

Solid Mall. I watch 'Who Framed Woger Wabbit' there and the Holiday Inn across the street has a killer atrium tennis court... well it did in the 80s.
    WEM was a solid killer (uncluttered) mall in the 80's too !!! It's just that it's STILL in the 80's LOL

^WEM is VASTLY improved as a retail centre now.... perhaps other than the loss of eaton's.
    www.decl.org

^WEM is VASTLY improved as a retail centre now.... perhaps other than the loss of eaton's.
    Again not argueing that point the stores are fantastic. but the ambience of the mall........ick.

^^^ Yorkdale is a great mall. Probably the best in the country. Generates more dollars per square foot than any other retail space in Canada. When it was built, that was the edge of town. (The original name for the 401, on the north side of the mall, was the Toronto Bypass.)

Did not know that Holiday Inn had a tennis court - or an atrium.

100% class inside, none of the cheesy baubles that the Ghermezians are always attracted to. Here's hoping for the reno...

Lets get real.. Just painting the inside of west ed will be a multi million dollar reno.

When they send out a press release talking about new handrails... you know you can expect basis renos, nothing new or exciting structurally and more banality.

Sigh...

ha ha ha... check this out...

http://www.wem.ca/
    http://www.mallofamerica.com/home/

Same outdated page structure, boring colour palette and all in all... pathetic.

Even Chinook center has Flash media as part of their site...

http://www.chinookcentre.com/en/Pages/default.aspx
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 25-01-2011 at 01:54 PM.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

You know this how? They did say it will look like no other mall in Canada, I will reserve my opinion until some renos are actually complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    You know this how? They did say it will look like no other mall in Canada, I will reserve my opinion until some renos are actually complete.
    You don't need to "KNOW" this to be somewhat skeptical of the Ghermezians and their promises.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post

You make it sound like having Flash onsite is an implicitly good thing. But that's a different topic entirely...

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post

You make it sound like having Flash onsite is an implicitly good thing. But that's a different topic entirely...
    Flash is old school... cumbersome piece of garbage software.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I doubt that in transforming WEM to a mall unlike any other in canada, all they have planned is a paintjob ... let's get realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    It already looks like no other mall in canada!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Southgates renovation 114 million ... Kingsway 70 million.

Both very upfront with their numbers, plans and vision...

West ed, which should have lead the pack, is way behind, secretive, vague and won't put a number to it. 10's of millions for a mall the size of west ed is PATHETIC.. it should be 100's of millions.

Tripple 5 is a joke.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 25-01-2011 at 03:27 PM.

apparently people enjoy going to a mall to buy products inspired by 80's fashion, but they don't enjoy going to an 80's style mall to buy products inspired by 80's fashion.

West ed, which should have lead the pack, is way behind, secretive, vague and won't put a number to it. 10's of millions for a mall the size of west ed is PATHETIC.. it should be 100's of millions.

Tripple 5 is a joke.
    Millions? I'm thinking the final number for an extreme makeover of the aging mall would easily be over $1B.

C2E SME

^that is if they do a real reno and not just give a new splash of paint and scrape the bubblegum off the floor.

I really want to be positive about this... but it very clear that this is a joke.

No one would launch a media blitz with.... NOTHING to blitz. West Ed has been loosing local market share to malls like Kingsway and Southgate. Something had to be done... sadly it was done in typical West Ed style....

Look at any cities Major Mall/shopping center... the condition of them is MILES ahead of the current state of WEM. The best thing that could ever happen to WEM is the Fairview Cadillac bought it. We could only hope and pray... Maybe these renos are the lick of paint before the mall goes up for sale. We could only hope at least.

Don't get too far ahead of yourself EDP. Although I agree with you that the Ghermezians and Triple 5 aren't to be trusted, we'll all just have to wait and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    ^that is if they do a real reno and not just give a new splash of paint and scrape the bubblegum off the floor.
    Well they have already started painting!!!!!! LOL yesterday they had a section of the Phase III food court roped off with "Wet Paint on Seats" signs up!!!!!! It's underway

Also it should cost several million alone to patch the cracked marble floors in the former high class "Park Lane" wing remember that!!! (FYI for those of you who do not remember the mall in 1981 that is the upstairs section where Hollister and American Eagle are.....Very Very Very High Class)
    Also to respackle the rest of the faded, cracked, chipped terrazzo floors they have let go since the mall opened.

Also it costs big bucks to replace all the brass handrails that still have drill holes in them from the time they installed LED lights on every rail in the mall then took them out when they could not keep them working leaving the holes visible almost everywhere you look in the brass.
    Last edited by NielCole; 25-01-2011 at 10:14 PM.

C2E SME

Well one thing though is at least Triple 5 is not as dumb as the owners of the South China Mall. Great concept, horrible execution and decisions. In comparison Triple 5 look like brainiac's.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_China_Mall

^it has a teletubbies attraction though

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Another thread with a positive start that is now nothing but negative dribble!!!!

Well if Triple5 released some concept photos and dollar amounts pertaining to this massive renovation they say they will soon be embarking on, Then maybe we can actually post some valid or constructive comments
    Until then their past track record for spin and hyperbole preceeds them.
    As stated previously when Oxford and Ivanhoe-Cambridge announced the expansion and renovations at Kingsway and Southgate they were far more forthcoming about thier plans.

The Ghermezians have always overpromised and underdelivered in most of their mega projects in this city. Westmount, Eaton Centre, Argyll Plaza, West Edmonton Village alot of bland boxy pebbled concrete buildings that have not aged well scattered around the city.

So forgive us for taking what they announce with a grain of salt.

They,ve already started over there.

Don't be too hard on these guys they spent a lot of money here and created 20,000 jobs, they could have built the mall in Calgary or Vancouver area

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Don't be too hard on these guys they spent a lot of money here and created 20,000 jobs, they could have built the mall in Calgary or Vancouver area
    And some other developer would've built some other mall in its place.

Do you not know the story of the BS that the Ghermezians and Triple 5 pulled on city council and Edmontonians over the decades? Bait and switch, etc etc?

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    And some other developer would've built some other mall in its place.

Do you not know the story of the BS that the Ghermezians and Triple 5 pulled on city council and Edmontonians over the decades? Bait and switch, etc etc?
    Exactly! the Edmonton Eaton Centre project for one. still waiting on those two 45 story office towers with the two condo towers not to mention the 20 story hotel.......

Exactly! the Edmonton Eaton Centre project for one. still waiting on those two 45 story office towers with the two condo towers not to mention the 20 story hotel.......

Good thing you didn't hold your breath

Page 1 of 52 123451151 ... LastLast