Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: West Edmonton Mall | Renovations

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yes, well hopefully they will come thru on this project. It will create some employment for the trades for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    exactly! The edmonton eaton centre project for one. Still waiting on those two 45 story office towers with the two condo towers not to mention the 20 story hotel.......

Good thing you didn't hold your breath
    lol

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by RyanS View Post
    So nobody in this whole thread noticed the area of the mall they actually renoed already? Some test sections have been put in place...
    I was there earlier today and I did notice a test section or two in Phase II.

One fountain has had its brass railings and glass enclosures replaced by brown wood railings and black iron type fencing. It's probably cheap material but it looks much better. I forgot to take pics...sorry.

Some of the seating throughout the mall seems to have changed in various areas. One area by Victoria's Secret, as we all know. Another near the stage by The Bay. There were a couple of other areas with changed seating...I can't remember where now.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I will bet their renos will be on par with Kingsway and Southgate. I believe the renos will be well done and greatly enhance the overall look of the mall. Like it or not (and most of you don't) it has many worthwhile attractions and is the #1 tourist destination in this city.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanS View Post
    So nobody in this whole thread noticed the area of the mall they actually renoed already? Some test sections have been put in place...
    I was there earlier today and I did notice a test section or two in Phase II.

One fountain has had its brass railings and glass enclosures replaced by brown wood railings and black iron type fencing. It's probably cheap material but it looks much better. I forgot to take pics...sorry.

Some of the seating throughout the mall seems to have changed in various areas. One area by Victoria's Secret, as we all know. Another near the stage by The Bay. There were a couple of other areas with changed seating...I can't remember where now.
    Those black iron wood railing have been around for a couple of years now they put them in Europa Boulevard and here and there on the main level to prevent people fom plunging into the fountains which they have now started to remove (fountians not the railings).
    The two seating areas by the Bay are also a coiuple of band aid solutions that have been around for a while.

The "test" section by Victoria's Secret is from the past summer so I suspect that is the way the mall is going.

I did notice on my way home from work this evening they have replaced all the light fixtures in the phase one carparks (lower level) this past week. Much much brighter.

Who wants to bet by the end of it, there are going to be more of those street vendors in the mall?

Quote Originally Posted by JBear View Post
    Who wants to bet by the end of it, there are going to be more of those street vendors in the mall?
    Hope not. As I posted before some kiosks are fine, cell phone, sunglass hut type outlets which are in almost every mall! No problem! but some of the ones in WEM are bizarre.....On the second Floor by American Eagle there is a teeth whitening kiosk for gawds sake. Who wants to sit in a chair to have their teeth bleached or whatever in front of other shoppers?

Or the real estate "investment kiosk" ???? Whats next perhaps a Lasik Vision kiosk"??? Have your eyes lasered outside Victoria's Secret.....LOL
    Last edited by NielCole; 28-01-2011 at 09:05 AM.

A couple of years ago Triple Five had plans to construct two joining residential rental high rises near phase I, that would have been interesting to see..

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BRAH View Post
    A couple of years ago Triple Five had plans to construct two joining residential rental high rises near phase I, that would have been interesting to see..
    As well as a new arena big enough for a junior team. There were also plans to add a third floor to about half the mall as well as a new highrise hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I will bet their renos will be on par with Kingsway and Southgate. I believe the renos will be well done and greatly enhance the overall look of the mall.
    That would be awesome if that were the case. Highly doubtful though based on their track record.

I would prefer they go with modern, but bland styling. They've shown many times when they try to do fashiony or showy it just ends up tacky.

I know the saying is "Reach for the moon and if you miss you land among the stars", but in this case it's more likely to be "Reach for the moon and if you miss you'll burn up on re-entry"

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    I would prefer they go with modern, but bland styling. They've shown many times when they try to do fashiony or showy it just ends up tacky.

I know the saying is "Reach for the moon and if you miss you land among the stars", but in this case it's more likely to be "Reach for the moon and if you miss you'll burn up on re-entry"
    QFT. Get the basics right first, no shiny baubles...
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

I will bet their renos will be on par with Kingsway and Southgate. I believe the renos will be well done and greatly enhance the overall look of the mall. Like it or not (and most of you don't) it has many worthwhile attractions and is the #1 tourist destination in this city.
    how can the renos be on par with kingsway and southgate when the budget for the entire mall is the same or maybe even less...

Kingsway Reno 70 Millon...and how many kingsways fit into west ed... 3-4
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Kingsway also removed a bunch of the 2nd floor and opened things up to provide more natural light.

I assume WEM is simply redoing the floors and walls, not worrying so much about actual physical changes to the layout of the mall.

re do the floors in what??? CEramic tile that costs 99 cents a square foot.

I'm just waiting for some of the multi storey parking to collapse.. it is rather scary IMO.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

you say "ceramic tile that costs 99 cents a square foot" like it's a fact.

jumping to a conclusion sure is easy. How about waiting until they actually unveil plans before calling them out in public for being cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    re do the floors in what??? CEramic tile that costs 99 cents a square foot.

That wing by the ice palace on the way to the transit centre looks exactly like 99 cent floor tile...

I'm just waiting for some of the multi storey parking to collapse.. it is rather scary IMO.
    Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by Ander View Post

jumping to a conclusion sure is easy. How about waiting until they actually unveil plans before calling them out in public for being cheap.
    Floorspace is probably about 1 million sq/ft, so even if they went for some premium $6sq/ft stuff, that's still only $6 million, out of "tens of millions" left for everything else.

As pointed out earlier, both Southgate and Kingsway had major demolition and/or construction done, which explains the huge cost. WEM can redecorate the entire mall quite well for less than they spent.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post

Floorspace is probably about 1 million sq/ft, so even if they went for some premium $6sq/ft stuff, that's still only $6 million, out of "tens of millions" left for everything else.

As pointed out earlier, both Southgate and Kingsway had major demolition and/or construction done, which explains the huge cost. WEM can redecorate the entire mall quite well for less than they spent.
    Exactly. This is not an apples to apples situation.

The initial article in the Journal (also Montreal Gazette) was dated January 20th. In it they said that Triple5 would announce the details of the "multi million dollar renovation next week. (meaning this past week) So far, True to form Triple5 has said nothing aside from the rather minor details of having to relocate 12 tenants to accomodate the Simons store.

They still seem to follow the credo that anything they say or do will be regarded as "Amazing or Stupendous or Never before seen on earth" like some country hucksters at a county fair.

It worked for a while back in the 80's but they seem to fail to realize that Edmontonians have swallowed that before (Eaton Centre) getting burned somewhat and that the city is far less likely to be "Amazed or Astounded" nowadays by a mall renovation wether it is WEM or not.

I for one would love to see some renderings or an actual dollar figure in regards to what they are going to do rather than some vague tidbits like a new waterslide, a couple new rides in Galaxyland and some new flooring, railings etc etc. But then they have always had a history of talking big and not living up what they actually promise or allude to.

I've been even more leery of WEM's marketing ever since they were heavily pushing that filmed-at-WEM direct-to-DVD classic "Christmas in Wonderland".
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

The initial article in the Journal (also Montreal Gazette) was dated January 20th. In it they said that Triple5 would announce the details of the "multi million dollar renovation next week. (meaning this past week) So far, True to form Triple5 has said nothing aside from the rather minor details of having to relocate 12 tenants to accomodate the Simons store.

They still seem to follow the credo that anything they say or do will be regarded as "Amazing or Stupendous or Never before seen on earth" like some country hucksters at a county fair.

It worked for a while back in the 80's but they seem to fail to realize that Edmontonians have swallowed that before (Eaton Centre) getting burned somewhat and that the city is far less likely to be "Amazed or Astounded" nowadays by a mall renovation wether it is WEM or not.

I for one would love to see some renderings or an actual dollar figure in regards to what they are going to do rather than some vague tidbits like a new waterslide, a couple new rides in Galaxyland and some new flooring, railings etc etc. But then they have always had a history of talking big and not living up what they actually promise or allude to.
    I was at The Maul this afternoon and happened to end up in an elevator with 2 of their marketing people. I asked them what their plans for the fountains where as they said that they were part of their renovating plans. They said that the fountains were all going to be removed and replaced with seating areas. That's not the press release said.

When I asked them when and where the whale was going to relocated,they just laughed and said it was a 'secret '. In other words don't count it to be part of the plans,even thou when it was removed the public was told that it would reappear in another part of the mall.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

C2E SME

Well if the whale doesn't make it back into the mall, the city should buy it and make it part of a downtown park or something. The whale was cool and it would be sad to see it disappear.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Well if the whale doesn't make it back into the mall, the city should buy it and make it part of a downtown park or something. The whale was cool and it would be sad to see it disappear.
    Sounds typical....."It's a secret" Meaning we have no idea, we're flying by the seat of our pants when it comes to figuring out this reno (no plan).We have sold it off already......All of the above.

Sell it to the Zoo to replace the storybook whale they once had with the aquarium in it.

More seating....Means Stools for the workers at the extra 100 new kiosks that will appear.

First One is Always Free

Default The truth to all this BS.....

Good point Ander, check out the GHA Design web site for some images of the new mall reno's and while you are there check out their amazing retail portfolio - by far 555 has hired Canada's very best mall designers. I am anxious to see the end result and so too are many tenants at WEM.
    "100 percent"

Quote Originally Posted by CRSK View Post
    Good point Ander, check out the GHA Design web site for some images of the new mall reno's and while you are there check out their amazing retail portfolio - by far 555 has hired Canada's very best mall designers. I am anxious to see the end result and so too are many tenants at WEM.
    http://www.ghadesign.com/en/portfolio/shopping/wem/

Hmmm... not so bad actually. Take a look at the website for pics.

Yes , it does look promising. The food court is a huge improvement. Looks like the food court fountains are disappearing [ good move ].
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

That is the conceptual proposal.. not what is being done,

And you know this, how????

it says it right on the website. So know this cause I read it.

Just like this is a concept drawing.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cs-edmonton...1nrnQdFudSA%3D

C2E SME

Looking forward to seeing the updates at WEM.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Ok you go with the 99cent tiles and we will go with the concept. Lets see who's right.

GHA are the same people who did Yorkdale in Toronto a few years back and, as noted earlier in this thread, it completely rocks.

WEM is good hands with these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by CRSK View Post
    http://www.ghadesign.com/en/portfolio/shopping/wem/

Hmmm... not so bad actually. Take a look at the website for pics.
    Thanks for the link and posting it.

OK! I like what I see in the conceptual pics it looks very clean and modern.
    The Phase 3 food court looks great.

A couple of points though (And I realize that they are concepts)
    The one illustration shows the fountains in the main mall which Triple5 says are being removed for more seating.

Another illustration shows the "Wildcatters" sculpture with seating around it ( I like this very much) As it is presently swamped and lost amongst several kiosks, Does this mean WEM is going to clean up the look by restricting or reducing the amount of Carts and Kiosks? If so that would be fantastic.
    I have no issue against having some kiosks etc all malls have them but compared to other Canadian first tier malls ie Yorkdale, Toronto Eaton Centre etc WEM is positively overun with them.

But again I like the concepts, I truly hope the reality matches them.

I looked thru the portfolio of GHA and I think they really have gotten the best people for the job. I must commend triple 5 on that. Even the Piggly Wiggly in Myrtle looks great, something like Safeway. I've been in that one. ( I have a bro in Charleston )

Quote Originally Posted by BRAH View Post
    As well as a new arena big enough for a junior team. There were also plans to add a third floor to about half the mall as well as a new highrise hotel.
    I think there was even talk of adding a Zoo on the roof of Phase III, it would have been great if they went ahead with all of those plans.

C2E SME

Well if the redesign is going to follow the concepts being show on GHA then things look like they may be moving in the right direction. I just hope that this work happens. I remember not too long ago that other plans were announced but nothing ever came of that announcement.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Well if the redesign is going to follow the concepts being show on GHA then things look like they may be moving in the right direction. I just hope that this work happens. I remember not too long ago that other plans were announced but nothing ever came of that announcement.
    Rumor is drawings were tendered and the work possibly awarded. Stay tuned for 6 months of night work right into the summer.

As per the mock up in front of VS - it looks like no fountains, all mirrors replaced with white sculpted panels, all brass is gonzo, all columns and floors to be flooded in white large format porcelain tile -super clean and timeless.

On the GHA site it looks like the food court will follow a similar contemporary path - just more back painted glass and color accents. Could be conceptual, but I hope not far from the final product.
    "100 percent"

Wow. This is great news. WEM has done very well for 555, and Edmonton in general considering the small amount of maintenance and upkeep that has been done in it's lifespan.

Considering the sheer amount of demolition and construction that Kingsway and Southgate required (Southgate increased its footprint by 25%, Kingsway had entire sections of its flooring opened, and others filled) I would assume a 15-20 million dollar reno WOULD DO WONDERS for WEM. The existing structure needs no modification, and the large open skylit corridors are beautiful. Timeless finishes like the white porcelain tile and sculptured panels will look good for another 10-15 years, unlike the dark wood/stone treatments that Kingsway/Southgate use, which will seem outdated in 5 years.

GHA is the best in the business. Do not expect 99 cent tile and a quick coat of paint. The amount 555 has invested in a design company tells me this is the real thing.

It's a great day for WEM and Edmonton.

^The existing structure needs LOTS of work lol..

Lipstick meet pig

What I see is WEM being unable to secure chains like restoration hardware. They HAD to do something... they didn't choose to do it.

Tripple 5 does nothing but SUCK from this city. Look at what katz has given back... now tell me what the owners of triple 5 have done.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 31-01-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Another thread with a positive start that is now nothing but negative dribble!!!!
    I agree. It's getting rather tiresome.

It is rare for me to be overly negative.... Very rare.

What I see is WEM being unable to secure chains like restoration hardware. They HAD to do something... they didn't choose to do it.
    They chose to do it because of the competition. That's what competition does.

Quote Originally Posted by blainehamilton View Post
    I would assume a 15-20 million dollar reno WOULD DO WONDERS for WEM.
    $15-20M would barely pay for the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post

They chose to do it because of the competition. That's what competition does.
    Ok.. yes your right...

HOwever!

WEM should be our flagship mall. It should have been leading the pack in design and should put edmonton's best foot forward, It doesn't and hasn't for a LONG TIME

It has had to be forced into action. That says A LOT about the organization.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 31-01-2011 at 03:52 PM.

wow...first come renovations...then come LRT???
    even chinook in calgary got a reno..about time
    Last edited by Jim_bo; 31-01-2011 at 06:22 PM.

i saw a job posting in Grand Prairie for a Interior Designer -

"The Interior Designer will utilize their knowledge, skills,
    abilities and experience to develop, plan, coordinate, evaluate and
    review a variety of unique and diverse design projects and initiatives
    within West Edmonton Mall."

Does this have anything to do with the renos??

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    i saw a job posting in Grand Prairie for a Interior Designer -

"The Interior Designer will utilize their knowledge, skills,
    abilities and experience to develop, plan, coordinate, evaluate and
    review a variety of unique and diverse design projects and initiatives
    within West Edmonton Mall."

Does this have anything to do with the renos??
    Well, you do know that Grande Prairie is Alberta's design nexus
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Addicted to C2E

^ God Help us ! Alberta box Building chic combined with one lonely Phallic office tower. Grande Prairie has it all . The Douglas Cardinal designed college just did not resonate.

I have noticed quite a few tenants in Phase one have closed/relocated in the past couple of weeks (Leather Land the former Leather Ranch) has vanished. Could this possibly be the precurser to some shuffling of stores around due to Simons and the upcoming reno? Moving the smaller tenants out to expand other major ones. The rumour mill has it Harry Rosen wants to expand all it's locations nationwide. So that would mean more HR in phase one (a good thing to enliven that end of the mall)

Partially Addicted to C2E

I have noticed quite a few tenants in Phase one have closed/relocated in the past couple of weeks (Leather Land the former Leather Ranch) has vanished. Could this possibly be the precurser to some shuffling of stores around due to Simons and the upcoming reno? Moving the smaller tenants out to expand other major ones. The rumour mill has it Harry Rosen wants to expand all it's locations nationwide. So that would mean more HR in phase one (a good thing to enliven that end of the mall)
    Harry Rosen is already pretty big. That would be a massive store if they did.

While HarryRosen is big it is still only about half the size of the space of the Vancouver Pacific Centre store, As that location takes up about a third of the space on the upper level including the adjoining Hugo Boss department and the Zegna space across the mall from the main store.
    Harry Rosen would be smart to extend both along the wing towards Zellers and or push back into the two smaller shops next to the Bay entrance.

And again as I said earlier it would really strengthen that end of the mall.

Here are a couple iPhone pics of the test section in front of Victoria Secret:

They still have the brass railing etc up, but from what I understand, those will all be gone. Also, many of the fountains have been removed. I hope they'll replace some of the water features. I also hope to see some work on the exterior.

If it goes all white, will they be able to keep it clean? Especially the food court?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Here are a couple iPhone pics of the test section in front of Victoria Secret:

They still have the brass railing etc up, but from what I understand, those will all be gone. Also, many of the fountains have been removed. I hope they'll replace some of the water features. I also hope to see some work on the exterior.
    Some observations from afterwork Monday night. (9:30 pm) Walking past the test section on the upper level two painters where busy painting over the curved lines. (Rather odd since they were put there just this past July) I actually liked them....

Where the fountains are being removed in phase 3 workers have punched a couple of small holes into the floor so you can now see into the basement.

Next to the lower level entrance to the waterpark they have removed the trampolines, and theglass BSweet kiosk is now empty and boarded over (they have a sign up near the Bay saying they are reopening in Phase 1)

The former kite store is advertising that it will be Volcom Clothes/Shoes
    Spring shoes in Phase 2 is empty and Off the Wall clothes has left.
    Aldo and Bootlegger in Phase 1 and 2 are closed for reno's also some of the tenants in the Phase 3 food court are now closed for reno's.

So it looks like it has begun.

If it goes all white, will they be able to keep it clean? Especially the food court?
    Yep,it will harder to clean with the white additions. I was in the seating area in Phase 1 upstairs in front of Paris Jewellers and noticed that someone had drawn a swastika on one of couches with a permanent marker.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    Yep,it will harder to clean with the white additions. I was in the seating area in Phase 1 upstairs in front of Paris Jewellers and noticed that someone had drawn a swastika on one of couches with a permanent marker.
    I think that is due to the nature of the size (or lack thereof) of both security and the cleaning staff. If you have ever had the misfortune to have to use one of the washrooms in the mall you would understand my point. I've seen cleaner ones in third world countries.

It's also that WEM attracts people from all over the city and not all of them are respectful of mall property ( certain teens especially). If I have to work late on a weekend night I always notice the bins are overflowing, planters stuffed full of trash etc from customers dumping crap everywhere. But I think that has to do with the mall isn't overly generous with bins in the first place.

I think that is due to the nature of the size (or lack thereof) of both security and the cleaning staff. If you have ever had the misfortune to have to use one of the washrooms in the mall you would understand my point. I've seen cleaner ones in third world countries.

It's also that WEM attracts people from all over the city and not all of them are respectful of mall property ( certain teens especially). If I have to work late on a weekend night I always notice the bins are overflowing, planters stuffed full of trash etc from customers dumping crap everywhere. But I think that has to do with the mall isn't overly generous with bins in the first place.
    Ding...Ding...Ding... you share the same feelings as I do. I wonder how many security people work overnight and actually walk around to see what is going on,when a lot of these cretins roam the mall. I noticed that the decorative rocks in those new white planters in front of Victoria's Secret are glued together to prevent them from being thrown in the fountains etc.
    Last edited by Barry N; 15-02-2011 at 11:51 AM.

I was in one of the Mall washrooms last summer and commented to my wife that I had never been in a cleaner public washroom. Funny how you can get such a wide range of perceptions.

never answered e-mail

I was in one of the Mall washrooms last summer and commented to my wife that I had never been in a cleaner public washroom. Funny how you can get such a wide range of perceptions.
    agreed Doug, the parent washroom facilities there are great, and each time we've used them they are very clean

Well my perception is (and I work in the place 5 days a week) is they could be far far better.
    Three weeks ago I had to stop and use the facilities by Hollister. All three stalls were wet, dirty, paper on the floor with the handicapped stall covered in vomit.
    This was a weekday around 11 am. Hardly peak time. I find if i'm in need I use the facilities in the Bay they are consistantly clean.

They should have far more cleaning staff and security for a mall that size especially considering the numbers of people who visit it on a daily basis.
    Last edited by NielCole; 16-02-2011 at 02:59 AM.

I wonder how much of a difference it's going to make now that the mall is no longer accessible 24 hours? All the entrances are now closed from mid to 6am. (Gold's has its own entrance for the 24 hour gym.)

A couple of tidbits in regards to WEM.

As I posted earlier Volcom is has signs up and is opening in the former Kites and Delights space next to the ice palace.It will be Canada's second store, Chinook opened August 2010
    www.volcom.com

The former Off the Wall space now has signage up that Boathouse will be opening in that space. Boathouse is a chain from back east. By the looks of it this will be the first store in Alberta.
    www.boathousestores.com

Both seem to cater to the skater crowd.

I also erroneously posted that BSweet was reopening close to the Bay. They have reopened in a space close to Urban Outfitters (not a kiosk!!!!) An actual storefront so hopefully the glass house they have occupied by the waterpark is on it's way out.

The Opulence store in Europa Boulevard has changed it's signage and now states March 11 as the opening date. I went by it on a break and the doors in construction hoarding were open and it looks quite large and kitted out quite tastefully.

I have also counted a total of 3 outlets in the Phase 3 food court closed for reno's and another 4 in the Phase 1 court are closed for reno's as well.

The mall management has also changed the terms on "lease lines" with stores. Tenants can no longer have signage, tables, mannequins etc etc in outside their doors. They must be placed at least 2 feet inside. That has cleaned up a fair bit of clutter already.

These are all small steps but steps in the right direction never the less.
    Perhaps WEM management is going to do this reno right.
    Last edited by NielCole; 17-02-2011 at 11:34 PM.

^ ^ One of the worst offenders for merchandise outside their doors had to be the leather stores with their racks of cheap & gauche belts. Hope you don't work at one of these stores

^ ^ One of the worst offenders for merchandise outside their doors had to be the leather stores with their racks of cheap & gauche belts. Hope you don't work at one of these stores
    Nope! I work for a attractive mainstream American chain.

As would befit a handsome North American lad
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    As would befit a handsome North American lad
    LOL.....No autographs please......,

Quote Originally Posted by Mercucio View Post
    I wonder how much of a difference it's going to make now that the mall is no longer accessible 24 hours? All the entrances are now closed from mid to 6am. (Gold's has its own entrance for the 24 hour gym.)

Really? Wow - how does that fly with movies that often run after midnight and restaurants/pubs on Bourbon Street that have last call after 2am?

Heck, I can remember watching shinny games on the ice surface after 3am when I stayed with my parents in the hotel 20+ years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by blainehamilton View Post

Really? Wow - how does that fly with movies that often run after midnight and restaurants/pubs on Bourbon Street that have last call after 2am?

Heck, I can remember watching shinny games on the ice surface after 3am when I stayed with my parents in the hotel 20+ years ago...
    That story goes a long way to show how much security there is after the stores close,as the security office is in the basement of the Ice Palace.
    Also walked by Cafe Europa and noticed that they have shut down.
    Last edited by Barry N; 22-02-2011 at 08:07 PM.

^^ Bourbon may be open later than midnight but the other ones all close earlier. My bad.

^^ Bourbon may be open later than midnight but the other ones all close earlier. My bad.
    As one who works late in the mall occasionally past 11 this is what they do. Both levels east of the Ice Palace are closed off at 11.
    You cannot access the mall past the ATM's next to the casino either, If your gambling you can get cash and no further.
    Otherwise Bourbon St, Transit Centre wing (exit only no return access) and the wings towards the hotel and theatres you can access due to late theatre goers and the hotel /lounge/restaurant patrons.

It's a pretty piecemeal system that entails "posts with the dividers you see in bank lineups" how effective it is preventing kids in running around I have my doubts.

This is a rather long post so be patient!

Mall management dropped off a WEMrevitalization booklet at work today.

This is verbatim.

West Edmonton Mall is embarking on an extensive renovation and enhancement project that will significantly transform vast areas of the shopping centre. We are excited about the months ahead and how this project will revitalize WEM and reinforce our status as the leader in the shopping and entertainment industry.

We have engaged the services of award-winning Canadian designers GHA design studios. GHA is one of North America's leading retail design firms with an expansive portfolio that is garnering the attention of the international design community. GHA understands that a visit to WEM should be a memorable experience for our guests. They recognize that enviroment plays a huge role in defining one's impressions and have incorporated some exciting elements to captivate shoppers. Be prepared for innovation; we believe in pushing boundaries and redefining expectations!

We have commisioned renowned Canadian sculpture Pascale Girardin to enhance our common area with suspended creations. Subtly evoking our relationship with nature through creative expression, Pascale has created floating handmade single and layered ceramic flowers to represent Alberta Wild Roses in the area in front of Victoria's Secret, which will become known as Rose Court. Surrounding the Oilmen Statue in Phase I, Pascale's installation of cascading hand-blown glass "oil" droplets will celebrate Alberta's richest natural resource.

WEM will introduce a stunning choreographed musical dancing fountain installation in Phase III. The Fountains at WEM will feature a beautiful symphony of water and lights set to contemporary and classical musical accompaniments. Guests will be entertained by the hourly revitalizing aquatic shows. The east fountain in Phase II will see enhancements including new fixtures and tiles surrounded by soft seating components. The Fountians at WEM will be stunning and memorable!

Preliminary work has already commenced and ongoing revitalization initiatives will continue over the next 18 months. In addition to the aesthetic work in the common areas, our attractions will see new features, rides and slides and the exterior of the shoppiing centre will also see improvements. Lighting upgrades are already underway in the parkades, parts of the building will get a facelift this spring with a new colour scheme, and new bench seating and pylon signs will be installed.

So. the Roses are already up in front of Victoria's Secret
    http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...allreno042.jpg

There are some other pics/observations I have snapped in the album I haven't given them titles as yet but I will try to post new things as they appear in the mall.

As for the musical fountains.....What is that???? Back to the Future???? WEM had them when the mall was new in the 80's! The other slightly worrying reference was to the "parts of the building" will get a facelift this spring with a new colour scheme.....Paint or an actual reclad....I dunno......time will tell.
    Last edited by NielCole; 25-02-2011 at 12:27 AM.

i remember a musical fountain in the 80's there my mom loved it - there is one here at aberdeen they are constantly having to mop the floor there around it

the exterior of the shopping centre will also see improvements.

This makes me happy. Any specifics about what it means? Please tell me that the beige exterior is on the way out...

Nothing as yet. Any exterior redo will be welcome it's the "parts of" that has me concerned. It is such a behemoth of a structure. And glossing up various sections of it will only make it look more disjointed in my opinion.
    I would be happy if they toned down the garish and faded Silver City paintjob. It's way past its prime.

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
    i remember a musical fountain in the 80's there my mom loved it - there is one here at aberdeen they are constantly having to mop the floor there around it
    In WEM too. The old fountains were wrecked sometime in the very late 80's or so when the Ghermezian patriarch "Papa Ghermeizian" who used to cruise around the mall in a motorized scooter did a flip into them. End of the fire and water fountains.......

I really thought Triple5 was getting past all that "glitz" stuff.

The Silver City paintjob never looked good... even in its "prime"!

C2E Continued Contributor

Ding...Ding...Ding... you share the same feelings as I do. I wonder how many security people work overnight and actually walk around to see what is going on,when a lot of these cretins roam the mall. I noticed that the decorative rocks in those new white planters in front of Victoria's Secret are glued together to prevent them from being thrown in the fountains etc.
    WEM has a very professional 24/7 in house Security team. It's so easy to say that more security would prevent vandalism but how hard is it really to hide a pen in your pocket then wait for the Security Officer to walk past you, then write on the sofa?

Can you try and be realistic please

Also should mention that the Security team conducts regular patrols throughout the night so being located in the basement has nothing to do with anything.
    Last edited by Mla; 25-02-2011 at 04:02 AM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

As for the musical fountains.....What is that???? Back to the Future????
    Think programmed fountains at Bellagio - can be absolutely stunning if done right.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ when I heard musical fountains, the first thing I thought of was the Bellagio fountains.

When I think of WEM doing a musical water fountain, I think of a fountain playing "Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds, or some other 80s music!

re: musical fountains: Are they tearing out the santa anna and the sea lions for this?... I hope so.

The flowers that have been installed are very Neman Marcus... They hada flock of birds that you went through as you went up their escalator...I think that was in Chicago but I cant be certain. It's ok, but its far from boundary pushing

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
    In WEM too. The old fountains were wrecked sometime in the very late 80's or so when the Ghermezian patriarch "Papa Ghermeizian" who used to cruise around the mall in a motorized scooter did a flip into them. End of the fire and water fountains.......

I really thought Triple5 was getting past all that "glitz" stuff.
    yes i meant i remembered the fountains from WEM i have a picture even! i should dig it out - my sister went to school across the street in the mid 80's so we were there at the mall a lot

Number one in the province of alberta i might add

If West Edmonton Mall does anything like Southgate or Kingsway as far as the types of improvements seen there, then there will be a big upgrade. They should also look to expand into a more hi-tech free attraction, expanding on something like the laser light show/music combination that Kingsway did over Xmas holidays in their food court.

something like this video in dubai mall would be cool

www.shoera.com

see it in action here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WihQt6a4OAk

not the best picture but WEM in the 80's

and a bonus old pic of downtown sometime in the late 80's

Thanks for the photos! nice to see the progress

As I was leaving the mall Saturday night after work. They were putting up the opening soon signs on the former Leather Ranch - Leather Land space.

Tommy Bahama Outlet is taking over that spot.
    http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...allreno084.jpg
    Last edited by NielCole; 27-02-2011 at 02:07 AM.

As I was leaving the mall Saturday night after work. They were putting up the opening soon signs on the former Leather Ranch - Leather Land space.

Tommy Bahama Outlet is taking over that spot.
    http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...allreno084.jpg

Thanks for the continuing updates. Nice to see the mirrors disappearing as well.

While it is nice to see Triple5 being aggressive and landing new tenants in the vacant spaces (many recently so) I have noticed that frequently it's the independents closing and being replaced by large chains.

Some examples

Kites & Other Delights - Volcom
    Le Gnome - Below the Belt
    A tiny independent Siversmith in Phase 1 vansished shortly after the nearby Thomas Sabo opened before Christmas.

At last count I think I have noticed around about 10 or 11 vacancies of varying sizes mostly in Phase 1 of the mall but it does seem that the mall is actively trying to get major branded retailers into those wings.

While it is nice to see Triple5 being aggressive and landing new tenants in the vacant spaces (many recently so) I have noticed that frequently it's the independents closing and being replaced by large chains.

Some examples

A tiny independent Siversmith in Phase 1 vansished shortly after the nearby Thomas Sabo opened before Christmas.

At last count I think I have noticed around about 10 or 11 vacancies of varying sizes mostly in Phase 1 of the mall but it does seem that the mall is actively trying to get major branded retailers into those wings.
    Le gnome's owners retired... so i don't know if your trying to infer something...

Some examples

Le gnome's owners retired... so i don't know if your trying to infer something...
    Wasn't trying to infer anything. I just happened to notice that when a local or independent closed up in WEM for whatever reason they have been replaced by chains.

I also did not know that Le Gnome's owners had retired.

Minor update from today.

In Europa Boulevard. Cafe Levi, Parodox and Aqua are now closed leaving only HighGrade Clothing, GStar, MissSixty/Energie on that side. Perhaps this is to accomodate retailers from the future Simons space on the otherside such as HS ???. (Speculation on my part)

Also three other very very minor observations from my trip into work this morning.

The teeth whitening Kiosk outside American Eagle has vanished (thank gawd) Nothing more tacky than that in the middle of a mall....

American Apparel has closed it's original location though the new one isn't ready yet.

As well ( And this is purely speculation on my part so don't go off all half cocked on me) Since all the large advertising banners in the mall promote WEM locations of tenants such as Delux Burger Bar, Red Piano etc etc.
    A large Diesel Jeans "Diesel Island" poster has appeared suspended over the escalators next to the Ice Palace outside AF. Possible upcoming WEM for location for Diesel?
    Last edited by NielCole; 28-02-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I hope this hasn't been asked and answered already -- my apologies if it has -- but does anyone know what is going in right by the entrance on the ground floor that is below the entrance to the Palace Casino? I'm not explaining that very well -- when did they stop numbering the entrances? It's the north-facing entrance that brings you to Guest Services, Games Workshop, Galaxyland, McDonalds and then the Body Shop. It's a larger space, nearly the size of London Drugs if I can trust that the online mall map is drawn to scale.

^^ Cafe Levi is still open. It's the Cafe Europa that shut down.

^^ Cafe Levi is still open. It's the Cafe Europa that shut down.
    Then would be as so kind to explain this. Taken today on my lunch break (around 2) Cafe Levi was closed/dark all day. Yes Cafe Europa is boarded over and signs removed but I'm pretty sure the mall would expect Cafe Levi to be up and running during mall hours.

http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...allreno097.jpg
    Last edited by NielCole; 01-03-2011 at 01:11 AM.

Minor update from today.

In Europa Boulevard. Cafe Levi, Parodox and Aqua are now closed leaving only HighGrade Clothing, GStar, MissSixty/Energie on that side. Perhaps this is to accomodate retailers from the future Simons space on the otherside such as HS ???. (Speculation on my part)

Also three other very very minor observations from my trip into work this morning.

The teeth whitening Kiosk outside American Eagle has vanished (thank gawd) Nothing more tacky than that in the middle of a mall....

American Apparel has closed it's original location though the new one isn't ready yet.

As well ( And this is purely speculation on my part so don't go off all half cocked on me) Since all the large advertising banners in the mall promote WEM locations of tenants such as Delux Burger Bar, Red Piano etc etc.
    A large Diesel Jeans "Diesel Island" poster has appeared suspended over the escalators next to the Ice Palace outside AF. Possible upcoming WEM for location for Diesel?

I took the time to read that Diesel poster. It reads " Home of The Stupid / Land of the brave. Huh ????
    http://www.adrants.com/2011/01/diese...the-stupid.php

+

They have removed the ceiling at the entrance to Phase 1 Food Court and getting ready to replace it.
    Last edited by Barry N; 01-03-2011 at 08:07 AM.

darrellinyvr, I appreciate all the updates you're giving us in this thread.

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast