Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: West Edmonton Mall | Renovations

Partially Addicted to C2E

I just called Cafe Levi, and they are very much still open!

Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    Minor update from today.

In Europa Boulevard. Cafe Levi, Parodox and Aqua are now closed leaving only HighGrade Clothing, GStar, MissSixty/Energie on that side. Perhaps this is to accomodate retailers from the future Simons space on the otherside such as HS ???. (Speculation on my part)

Also three other very very minor observations from my trip into work this morning.

The teeth whitening Kiosk outside American Eagle has vanished (thank gawd) Nothing more tacky than that in the middle of a mall....

American Apparel has closed it's original location though the new one isn't ready yet.

As well ( And this is purely speculation on my part so don't go off all half cocked on me) Since all the large advertising banners in the mall promote WEM locations of tenants such as Delux Burger Bar, Red Piano etc etc.
    A large Diesel Jeans "Diesel Island" poster has appeared suspended over the escalators next to the Ice Palace outside AF. Possible upcoming WEM for location for Diesel?

I took the time to read that Diesel poster. It reads " Home of The Stupid / Land of the brave. Huh ????
    http://www.adrants.com/2011/01/diese...the-stupid.php

+

They have removed the ceiling at the entrance to Phase 1 Food Court and getting ready to replace it.
    Sorry about the size of the poster but 'Home of the Stupid' is not the only thing on it. Look closer at the poster (as if you could miss it).
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Gord, Since I work in the mall anyways, I will try to document any changes as time goes on.

From today there was a test section of the new floor tile laid down by the Oilmens Sculpture.
    Also a pic of the ceiling work that BarryN previously mentioned.

http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...allreno104.jpg

http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...allreno107.jpg

http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...allreno108.jpg

http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...allreno109.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by danby View Post
    I just called Cafe Levi, and they are very much still open!
    It was my bad. They were open today. But for some reason yesterday they were closed all day. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Minor update from today.

In Europa Boulevard. Cafe Levi, Parodox and Aqua are now closed leaving only HighGrade Clothing, GStar, MissSixty/Energie on that side. Perhaps this is to accomodate retailers from the future Simons space on the otherside such as HS ???. (Speculation on my part)

Also three other very very minor observations from my trip into work this morning.

The teeth whitening Kiosk outside American Eagle has vanished (thank gawd) Nothing more tacky than that in the middle of a mall....

American Apparel has closed it's original location though the new one isn't ready yet.

As well ( And this is purely speculation on my part so don't go off all half cocked on me) Since all the large advertising banners in the mall promote WEM locations of tenants such as Delux Burger Bar, Red Piano etc etc.
    A large Diesel Jeans "Diesel Island" poster has appeared suspended over the escalators next to the Ice Palace outside AF. Possible upcoming WEM for location for Diesel?

I took the time to read that Diesel poster. It reads " Home of The Stupid / Land of the brave. Huh ????
    http://www.adrants.com/2011/01/diese...the-stupid.php

+

They have removed the ceiling at the entrance to Phase 1 Food Court and getting ready to replace it.
    Sorry about the size of the poster but 'Home of the Stupid' is not the only thing on it. Look closer at the poster (as if you could miss it).
    Believe me I wouldn't miss that. As far as I have seen... that poster in your picture is not at the mall.

Referring to Gemini or me???

Gemini. The picture of the Diesel poster. Thanks for the pictures of the floor tiles. Wonder if they are going to use those white inserts to break up the sea of beige.

Gemini. The picture of the Diesel poster. Thanks for the pictures of the floor tiles. Wonder if they are going to use those white inserts to break up the sea of beige.
    Looks like it. The tile looks much better in real life with the white tile inserts. See what suprises they have instore today.....Off to work

Update from today, They are really working on ripping out the ceilings around the "Oilmens" statue. Went in to work and they had 1/2 of the section in front of Atmosphere ripped out and when I left at 9:30 they were roping off the lower mall to do the other half tonight.

Tristan has relocated to a temp space (former Aqua store in Europa Blvd) As after 9 pm staff were shifting shifting stock & fixtures from the existing space. Guessing another store reno in the works there.

Ardene is opening a huge new space next to the McDonalds across from Galaxyland while the temp store for American Apparel is the old Below the Belt space.

More speculation on Diesel.....Another large Diesel banner appeared over the escalators in Europa Blvd. Makes me both suspicious and curious.....

Snapped some pics will upload them Thurs eve.

Hopefully these renos also bring new mall maps - digital ones, like at Southgate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Hopefully these renos also bring new mall maps - digital ones, like at Southgate.
    Amen.... WEM must pay a fortune in printing costs. Unless they own the printing company.

They should make an map app....
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

The WEM app is horrible. Most users gave it 1 star. Several said they wouldn't have bothered giving any stars if they could have.

C2E Long Term Contributor

The digital maps at Southgate suck. I'd rather see, at a glance, what stores are there. Just gimme the paper map already!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    The digital maps at Southgate suck. I'd rather see, at a glance, what stores are there. Just gimme the paper map already!
    The speaking 'feature' of the Southgate directory system is horrible. I found it really inefficient, and it encourages single person use of what used to be an intentionally multi-user information system.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Amen.... WEM must pay a fortune in printing costs. Unless they own the printing company.
    The funny thing is......One entire page of the most recent paper directory is wrong. All the store listings phone numbers are off by one. You call one store and you get the store listed below.

A couple of updates....

http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...allreno126.jpg

http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...allreno125.jpg
    Last edited by NielCole; 04-03-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Yup, that's why I said I'd like to see a digital map - there have been lots of times that the paper maps are wrong. Apparently some people thought I wanted the exact software that's used at Southgate.

Yup, that's why I said I'd like to see a digital map - there have been lots of times that the paper maps are wrong. Apparently some people thought I wanted the exact software that's used at Southgate.
    Exactly once its printed in error on thousands of paper directories its out and circulating forever. The current WEM paper map is the one in error and WEM is still refilling the racks with it because they bought and paid for them. People take them home and use them incase they need a phone number wrong or not. My store gets wrong numbers every single day.

Mall management knows it is incorrect and still uses the error printed maps.
    At least with software you can correct errors as they happen. But given Triple5's track record with maintenance..........Digital kiosks may not be a great idea.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I hate the digital ones, I love technology but if there are more than one person looking at the map it is useless (and I find them slow).

The pictures pretty much prove wrong those who speculated about $0.99 sq/ft tile and a quick splash of paint.

I'll steer clear of the mall for awhile until the renos are complete to check it out.

Looking forward to the finished product!

Quote Originally Posted by blainehamilton View Post
    The pictures pretty much prove wrong those who speculated about $0.99 sq/ft tile and a quick splash of paint.

I'll steer clear of the mall for awhile until the renos are complete to check it out.

Looking forward to the finished product!
    Yeah, It is ramping up in there since I work in the mall i will try to post things for those of you who want to avoid it.

A LOT of stores are shuffling around to make room for new ones or tenant renovations And (I suspect) WEM has told them they need to renovate in keeping with what the mall has started.

Still wondering about the exterior upgrades though.....Since there is no "main" entrance like say Kingsway or even Southgate I wonder how successful that will be.....

BTW those digital directories are a pain if you have to wait for someone who is not exactly tech savvy to figure them out before you can use them.....Like my mom at a bank machine...

If there is a better vendor of software for digital maps, then great! My experience at Southgate is that the setup of the thing seems to be geared towards one person (or group, say a family) using the thing individually for wayfinding, whereas we've all found where we wanted to go on static maps, at the same time as other shoppers have gathered around the map doing the same thing. It felt sluggish and driven more by marketing somehow than wayfinding.

An analogy, I find SuperStore's self-checkout system to be finicky and problematic, with poorly timed windows for interaction; you wait a second too long to scan something and Beep! wait for the attendant. My experience with Safeway's system is that it is smoother and has given me and others fewer speedbumps in paying for groceries and getting out of the store.

I hope WEM shops around!
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    If there is a better vendor of software for digital maps, then great! My experience at Southgate is that the setup of the thing seems to be geared towards one person (or group, say a family) using the thing individually for wayfinding, whereas we've all found where we wanted to go on static maps, at the same time as other shoppers have gathered around the map doing the same thing. It felt sluggish and driven more by marketing somehow than wayfinding.

An analogy, I find SuperStore's self-checkout system to be finicky and problematic, with poorly timed windows for interaction; you wait a second too long to scan something and Beep! wait for the attendant. My experience with Safeway's system is that it is smoother and has given me and others fewer speedbumps in paying for groceries and getting out of the store.

I hope WEM shops around!
    Agreed....BTW I find Safeways self-serv checkouts are no better, And I have experienced them shopping for groceries in Tesco and ASDA in the UK. same issues across the pond.
    You always seem to have to get an attendent to help out. I avoid them all together...

i've never had a problem at price smart or save-on-foods but superstore is really annoying if you bag the in the wrong spot it calls attendant, takes some getting used to

speaking of cool things they could do for WEM at westfield mall in london they have maps of the mall and stores etc on a screen and than you can get that info onto your phone to find the way to the store you are looking for by scanning the screen with your phone

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/west-...358604219?mt=8
    http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...262/story.html

Seems this already exists... there's also the fastmall app that has this and many other malls around the world (http://www.fastmall.com/)

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ The WEM app needs a serious update.

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
    speaking of cool things they could do for WEM at westfield mall in london they have maps of the mall and stores etc on a screen and than you can get that info onto your phone to find the way to the store you are looking for by scanning the screen with your phone
    The UK is ahead of us in the application and use of mobile phones so WEM would have a bit of catching up to do (not a bad thing though)

FYI Westfield White City doesn't really need an directory app. It may be big to the Brits but to we Edmontonians.... it's no bigger than say Southgate and half of Kingsway....When I first went through it in 2009 just after it opened I could breeze through it in about 20 minutes..
    Basic 2 level H plan with a large courtyard in the middle and malls on the top and bottom of the H pretty simple layout and not at all like the multitude of branch corridors WEM has.

But again to the Brits.....It's HUGE!!!!! LOL

The mirrors in the lightwells in and around Phase one between the main court and the Ice Palace are begining to vanish!

http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...allreno142.jpg
    Last edited by NielCole; 10-03-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Noticed that when they removed the mirrors that surround the escalator beside the waterpark,they replaced them with some pretty 'plain jane' white reflector boards. They are not the same as the 'sculptured' ones in front of Victoria Secret.

Noticed that when they removed the mirrors that surround the escalator beside the waterpark,they replaced them with some pretty 'plain jane' white reflector boards. They are not the same as the 'sculptured' ones in front of Victoria Secret.
    At first glance it looked like it was only the first coat of primer painted over the recently sanded surface. When I head into work today I'll double check.

Default Fountain Update

FOUNTAIN UPDATE.....

They have lined the bottom of the fountain in front of The Gap with a black goopy water proof liner + they are starting to install the electric motor driven water 'jets'..... and there are lots of them.

C2E SME

Hmmmmm, sounds interesting. Looking forward to seeing it completed.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

FOUNTAIN UPDATE.....

They have lined the bottom of the fountain in front of The Gap with a black goopy water proof liner + they are starting to install the electric motor driven water 'jets'..... and there are lots of them.
    I have taken pics of the fountains today. showing the jets. Will post the link tonight to my photobucket album tonight.

Barry you wre right about the plain jane panels on the entrance to the waterpark. it is no longer just primer.

As promised.

Link for the latest shot of the continuing reno of the fountains in WEM from March 10 2011

http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...allreno146.jpg

http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...allreno144.jpg

As a side note the Opulence store in Europa Boulevard opened today. For a change it is 75% menswear and 25% womenswear. Labels like Boss Orange, Superdry, WilliamRast, Rock&Republic, Lacoste seem to be the rule. VERY spacious, with clean sighl lines and lighting.
    The product is showcased with the store being the background.

Shot of the very clean looking exterior.
    http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...allreno152.jpg
    Last edited by NielCole; 11-03-2011 at 12:37 AM.

awesome update... what is going next to Opulence? From your pictures it looks like its boarded over?

Just covered up nothing, announcing anything but I suspect that will be part of Simons once that construction gets underway.
    HS, Firoz and that empty space are on that side of the wing. next to Opulence my bets are it is future Simons space.
    WEM has a fair amount of shuffling tenants around to do yet. Tristan took over the Aqua space and they did a really good job of making it look like it's going to be there for a while does not have a "temp location" feel at all.
    The Armani Exchange sign that I snapped a couple weeks back hasn't re-surfaced anywhere that I know of yet

Just covered up nothing, announcing anything but I suspect that will be part of Simons once that construction gets underway.
    HS, Firoz and that empty space are on that side of the wing. next to Opulence my bets are it is future Simons space.
    WEM has a fair amount of shuffling tenants around to do yet. Tristan took over the Aqua space and they did a really good job of making it look like it's going to be there for a while does not have a "temp location" feel at all.
    The Armani Exchange sign that I snapped a couple weeks back hasn't re-surfaced anywhere that I know of yet
    Simons did say awhile back that they would have one of their entrances on Europa Blvd,so that might be the start of it.

From the renderings I have seen posted in the Simons thread. the mall entrance looks like it will basically be where HS is now but guessing they will use the other space for windows etc. (guessing on my part)

I was actually suprised that Opulence opened on that side at all to be honest I thought it would all be Simons.

Simons will be taking over gold gym/bakery/laser place/the cash store/acne place/Auto Spa. Maybe some of Urban and HS? From what the journal posted...

The article said the Simons store would be about 100,000 sq fr which pretty much would take up that entire section of the upper level.
    Golds space takes up the former Woodwards food floor which when opened in the late 80's ran to around 45,000 square feet. The other 55,000 obviously will be at the expense of that dead wing of the mall, some retailers on the west side of Europa etc.

Side note
    Marble Slab Creamery on Bourbon Street is now open.

I was at the mall this evening riding the coasters in the amusement park. We entered the mall at the entrance next to the Western store (I think the store is a Lamley's) on the main floor next to Sears. That end of the mall which used to be home to a range of department stores and an odd assortment of As Seen on TV/piano/fitness equipment/wedding dress shops, is now home to a new Aldo, Bamboo & Co., etc.

Bravo WEM.

WEM will once again be a world-wide retail powerhouse if they continue with these exciting announcements!

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    I was at the mall this evening riding the coasters in the amusement park. We entered the mall at the entrance next to the Western store (I think the store is a Lamley's) on the main floor next to Sears. That end of the mall which used to be home to a range of department stores and an odd assortment of As Seen on TV/piano/fitness equipment/wedding dress shops, is now home to a new Aldo, Bamboo & Co., etc.

Bravo WEM.

WEM will once again be a world-wide retail powerhouse if they continue with these exciting announcements!
    Bamboo & Co ????... You don't mean Bombay Company do you

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post

Bravo WEM.

Bamboo & Co ????... You don't mean Bombay Company do you
    Lammle's .......

I have noticed all the ceiling work (so far) starts from where the point that WEM had previously updated the lighting and ceilings in Phase 1 in the early 2000's.....

That could mean one of two things to me.

A. They are starting renos from the point that the ""updated" lighting ended to reno the older early 80 era ceilings first.

Or B, they will not be redoing the celings in Phase 1 at all.

But they are shuffling stores around and moving in more and better tenants to strenghen that end of the mall such as the Tommy Bahama store across from Harry Rosen. I also read a few months back that Harry Rosen wants to expand all of it's locations across Canada, So hopefully it means that the WEM branch can move into adjacent empty spaces as well......

I think it will option B. Maybe a coat of paint on Phase 1 ceilings. Hope I'm wrong.
    Wonder what their plans are for the space recently vacated by the Segway people. Perhaps an area for all the kiosks.
    Last edited by Barry N; 12-03-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Yeah, they should have kiosk-land somewhere in the mall, so we can avoid them all

Yeah, they should have kiosk-land somewhere in the mall, so we can avoid them all
    That's always been my feeling

That's always been my feeling
    That makes three in agreement!

In regards to the ceilings in Phase one they are passable not nearly as dated as the rest of the mall. BUT replace the railings (I know they are silver instead of the brass) but they are still dented and full of hundreds of stupid little holes frrom when they lined everything with those dumbass LED lights....

The floor!!!!!! chipped cracked and just plain tired looking.

Forgot to mention the Segway place is gone......Always thought the cheapo looking "racetrack" was the epitome of tackarama.....

Forgot to mention the Segway place is gone......Always thought the cheapo looking "racetrack" was the epitome of tackarama.....

+ the tours of the mall that they use to have. Seeing a group of 'turtle-helmeted' dweebs in a line just added to the tackiness.

+ the tours of the mall that they use to have. Seeing a group of 'turtle-helmeted' dweebs in a line just added to the tackiness.
    No argument there!

The new "amazing" fountain shows are going into the existing fountain wells....

This isn't what I was hoping for...

I still say these renos are going to be second rate at best.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post

Not sure,but based on past improvements you might be correct. Hope I'm wrong. When I saw the starting point for ceiling demo I thought to myself that they are going with the status-quo on Phase 1 and leaving that ceiling untouched. In the website that shows conceptual drawings they said that it would be a phase by phase renewal,and where they started to remove the ceiling is pretty much the beginning of Phase 2. The small section that they have boarded up for the floor reno seems to be moving slowly. I am not going to pass judgement just yet. I will wait until the first section of new ceiling is installed as well as the floor.
    Last edited by Barry N; 14-03-2011 at 09:44 AM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

The tours are still there as of March 4. Saw a bunch of those dorks touring the mall that night, wanted to steer one down the escalator

Quote Originally Posted by Terry_H View Post

The tours are still there as of March 4. Saw a bunch of those dorks touring the mall that night, wanted to steer one down the escalator
    Hi Terry: As of now [ March 14 ] they are gone.

FOUNTAIN UPDATE.....

I have taken pics of the fountains today. showing the jets. Will post the link tonight to my photobucket album tonight.

Barry you wre right about the plain jane panels on the entrance to the waterpark. it is no longer just primer.
    Those panels appear to be a temporary cover until the real work can begin. They are simply painted mdf boards. (I think it's mdf. something like that anyway) Definitely not the final result. It looks like somebody's basement from the seventies.

I would be very surprised if this was not temporary.

First One is Always Free

First time posting on connect2edmonton... Does anybody have a list of all the new stores coming to WEM in near future?
    Saw in todays journal that Volcom was getting a new store: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...673/story.html

Really excited to see WEM finally get renovated.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    FOUNTAIN UPDATE.....

Those panels appear to be a temporary cover until the real work can begin. They are simply painted mdf boards. (I think it's mdf. something like that anyway) Definitely not the final result. It looks like somebody's basement from the seventies.

I would be very surprised if this was not temporary.
    Vincent:

I hope your right. Although it seems like doubling the work by putting up temporary panels,and having to come back and re-install the correct ones. P.S. My basement in the seventies looked better than that

Quote Originally Posted by Pirulo View Post
    First time posting on connect2edmonton... Does anybody have a list of all the new stores coming to WEM in near future?
    Saw in todays journal that Volcom was getting a new store: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...673/story.html

I don't there is an actual list anywhere. The ones that I know of are....

Simons.... from Quebec
    Boathouse
    Tommy Bahama
    Laptop Depot
    Armani X Change [ rumoured ]
    Top Shop /Topman... from U.K. [ To be located inside the Bay ]
    Target [ a possible replacement for the vacating Zellers ]

These are from memory,if I missed any our regular cast of characters will add to the list.

I'm going to agree with you in the fact that they seem to be doing nothing but updating the 80's style fire and water fountains for something more "contemporary" I was REALLY hoping that WEM was leaving some of it's circus like showmanship history behind and moving into the 21st century.

As of today they had all the steel pylons adjacent to the new 3 story rope-type climbing thingy. Seems it will be located in the escalator bank next to the waterpark I am posting a couple of pics of the announcement sign for that.

The rendering looks like a giant Mcdonalds Play pit (to me anyways)

The fountains in the main part of the Phase III food court have been shut off and the nozzles removed as of last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirulo View Post

I don't there is an actual list anywhere. The ones that I know of are....

Simons.... from Quebec
    Boathouse
    Tommy Bahama
    Laptop Depot
    Armani X Change [ rumoured ]
    Top Shop /Topman... from U.K. [ To be located inside the Bay ]
    Target [ a possible replacement for the vacating Zellers ]

These are from memory,if I missed any our regular cast of characters will add to the list.
    Opulence (now open) Europa Boulevard
    Marble Slab Creamery (now open) Bourbon Street
    Diesel (pure speculation on MY part) due to the appearance of several Diesel Nation banners throughout the mall. All other banners in the mall feature existing WEM stores or attractions.
    Crocs a second? or enlarged store along the Lagoon.
    New American Apparel Store across from Banana Republic
    Guess? Accessories
    New Family Vision Care location where the Cafe Europa used to be.
    Sign is up and construction underway. Moving the existing location away from near the ice palace?

Photolinks for

Fountains Phase 3
    http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...allreno174.jpg

Marble Slab Creamery

http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...allreno159.jpg

Ropes Quest
    http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...allreno175.jpg
    Last edited by NielCole; 15-03-2011 at 12:55 AM.

here is what is offically confirmed on West Ed's site. Its updated often.. but it's odd how some are missing like the big ones mentioned above..

Coming Soon
    Here is a preview of some of the exciting new retailers coming to the Mall:

Laptop Depot specializes in factory refurbished notebooks, laptops, desktops, computers and accessories.

Reitmans is opening a concept store that will feature great fashion finds for women.

Ardene is opening a brand new concept store at WEM featuring all your favourite accessories.

Simons is one of Canada's leading fashion retailers. Their WEM location will carry many of the world’s hottest designers and Simons’ own exclusive, original house labels.

Volcom is a modern lifestyle brand featuring denim, streetwear, swimwear, accessories, sunglasses and outerwear.

Boathouse carries a number of popular fashion lines like Quicksilver, Roxy, Billabong, Element and more.

Marble Slab Creamery makes some of the world’s freshest ice cream just the way you like it. *NOW OPEN*

OLD news LOL, I'm faster and with photo links HAHAHA. but then the WEM site is rather useless to me, phone, photobucket and a job in the mall far faster......

As of today they had all the steel pylons adjacent to the new 3 story rope-type climbing thingy. Seems it will be located in the escalator bank next to the waterpark I am posting a couple of pics of the announcement sign for that.
    That might explain the temporary boards where the mirrors came out. If this rope thing is going to be anchored to the walls, or more specifically the floor joists inside the walls, they may need to still remove those boards, anchor the rope thing and then finish it off nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    That might explain the temporary boards where the mirrors came out. If this rope thing is going to be anchored to the walls, or more specifically the floor joists inside the walls, they may need to still remove those boards, anchor the rope thing and then finish it off nicely.
    Good point, no sense in finshing off things before such a large istallation goes in.
    Still don't understand why are not putting it in Galaxyland. I really do not understand how this thing can be "aquatic themed" outside of the waterpark and in an escalator well......Perhaps ""Aquatic themed adjacent?" would be a better term...

The Armani sign has resurfaced at the old Tristan location across from Banana Republic.

The Armani sign has resurfaced at the old Tristan location across from Banana Republic.
    Damn! you beat me to it.

http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...allreno189.jpg

Looks like it will be taking up the former spaces of both Tristan and American Apparel.

C2E SME

Very interesting pictures, hopefully this design is going to finally give the mall a fresh feel to it.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Damn! you beat me to it.

Looks like it will be taking up the former spaces of both Tristan and American Apparel.
    Sorry 'bout that . I also notice that the floor tile samples have made an encore appearance in front of Sport Chek for the past 2 days.

Damn! you beat me to it.

Sorry 'bout that . I also notice that the floor tile samples have made an encore appearance in front of Sport Chek for the past 2 days.
    Noticed that as well....I wish they would stop teasing us and just get on with it!!!!

Amen to that. I know that they have started on the floors @ the entrance to Phase 1 food court. I wonder when they are going to start removing and replacing those tired looking railings. I wouldn't think it would be much of a job to pop off the gold ones and re-install the new ones. Another small detail that would add a nice touch would be to replace the black hand railings on the escalators with another perhaps a brighter colour... or am I asking too much.

Guessing the handrails will be last after the floors/celings etc........but yeah ditch the tacky brass!!!!!! Though I have noticed that everytime i go in to work half of the escalators always seem to be stopped.......and they are ALWAYS the up ones.......

Family Vision Care are moving to Europa Boulevard next to Levis from a huge corner next to the ice palace. Any idea what is going in when that spot is vacated?
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Guessing the handrails will be last after the floors/celings etc........but yeah ditch the tacky brass!!!!!! Though I have noticed that everytime i go in to work half of the escalators always seem to be stopped.......and they are ALWAYS the up ones.......
    Brass handrails are the single biggest eyesore in the mall bar none

That is why I was hoping that they could be removed while the ceiling/flooring was going on. Perhaps start in another section of the mall away from the other work.

No, it's those floors..... no wait, the mirrors..... actually those ceilings are pretty disgusting. Have you seen the ceilings? Come to think of it, the exterior looks pretty bad too.

WEM exterior makes me cry a little bit inside every time I drive by.

First One is Always Free

Default ^me too

I wish ATB had repossessed West Edmonton Mall like it did the Oilers and sold it to Disney or Westfield as per the plan. That way the whole building could have gotten the investment and reconstruction/expansion that it needs. Instead it gets to limp along for another 15 years with "white panels" "brand new foodcourts!!" and a Simons. wooo hooo....

That is why I was hoping that they could be removed while the ceiling/flooring was going on. Perhaps start in another section of the mall away from the other work.
    There is a section next to Golds Gym that has had the brass railings replaced with aluminium rails.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    There is a section next to Golds Gym that has had the brass railings replaced with aluminium rails.
    That area by Gold's Gym is a test area for the reflector boards/railings/and pillar treatments.

When I wnet in to work today the "test" section of floor next to the oilmens sculpture had vanshed again. But the ceiling along the second floor from around Hollister almost all the way to the ice palace has been removed along one side of the mall.
    Expecting to see the other side gone after tonight.

Since those gawd awful handrails are just decorative detailing it doesn not really make sense to put in new ones until the major reconstructive work is done. I hate them too, but still expecting them to be among the last things done after the floors and ceilings.

In regards to the exterior I have not seen anything in regards to what the "redone entrances" look like. Considering most of the malls entrances are little more than little holes randomly punched into a vast biege pile I really don't expect alot.

As I posted early on WEM doesn't really have a "main" entrance like say Kingsway or the busy LRT entrance of Southgate. just insiped little doors numbered "Entrance 5578-A"

funny cause is brass is making a comeback at least in interior design, the public doesn't seem to be embracing it too fast but design magazines seem to be pushing brass and gold tones

Nice to see the public has some taste...... Seriously though while the "design" community always seems to decree something as the next great "new black" frequently the buying public shuns it and it flops.
    The fashion industry is great for that with designers saying this is the seasons "must have" and shoppers not buying it.

I think brass is one of those things that just smacks of the 80's like the colour combinations of pink/salmon and teal blue or acid wash jeans it will always be dated. And not in a good way.

^ and you have to remember that there is a huge generation behind you that doesn't have any idea what the 80's was like...

Brass used in an interesting fashion could be very nice. Don't be down on it just cause it was used poorly in the past or because you attach it to bad design.. and material can be used poorly
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 17-03-2011 at 11:46 AM.

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

^
    Brass in the AthaB hotel in Jasper = top gear

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Just to add some levity to the use of brass, nostalgia, etc.

Brass Rail
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
    funny cause is brass is making a comeback at least in interior design, the public doesn't seem to be embracing it too fast but design magazines seem to be pushing brass and gold tones
    IIRC, the comeback of brass fixtures have been promoted by fashionista interior designers for the better part of a decade now, and indeed the public doesn't seem to be feeling it. At least not here...

Brass is a fantastic material. But damn is it ugly.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^ and you have to remember that there is a huge generation behind you that doesn't have any idea what the 80's was like...

Brass used in an interesting fashion could be very nice. Don't be down on it just cause it was used poorly in the past or because you attach it to bad design.. and material can be used poorly
    Watch it mister!!! are you calling me old! LOL. i'm a very hip/up to date dude.......Brass was great in the 80's of which WEM has had SINCE the 80's time to move on.....

As a side note both Fresshi and Wok Box in the Phase 3 food courts have the new decor above thier corporate signage. Sculpted white fascia's. So Obviously as the food court tenants renovate (as A&W is doing now) the new decor is being introduced.

^ We are both getting old... lol

^ We are both getting old... lol
    True Though I would rather be a young looking and acting 48 than a middle aged 20-something (of which I know a few of)

Back to topic they have started putting up the massive framework of the Ropes Quest in next to the escalators by the Waterpark. I Will post pictures in my Photobucket album later today and supply the links.

* The Source by Circuit City is relocating to the recently vacated Calendar Store beside the Lush Soap store .

* Guess Accessories has opened in the vacated San Francisco location.

I noticed that they cleared the area (A bunch of Kiosks) next to those leather couches in front of PINK. I wonder if anything is going there.

Thats good news ( to me anyways ) I don't mind some kiosks but WEM has far too many that offer basically junk or those "real estate investment" oppourtunities.......The buy a condo in Oliver/Osoyoos BC thing at the Ice Palace and the "Edmonton Real Estate" investment booth across from the GAP.....GET AN OFFICE I SAY!

Thats good news ( to me anyways ) I don't mind some kiosks but WEM has far too many that offer basically junk or those "real estate investment" oppourtunities.......The buy a condo in Oliver/Osoyoos BC thing at the Ice Palace and the "Edmonton Real Estate" investment booth across from the GAP.....GET AN OFFICE I SAY!
    No argument there. I was talking to one of the Osoyoos resort people about a year ago and she was telling that had just signed a 3 year lease renewal at that time.

No argument there. I was talking to one of the Osoyoos resort people about a year ago and she was telling that had just signed a 3 year lease renewal at that time.
    I have one word for that UGH! But leases can be bought out and if the price is high enough she and the other " odd ball type kiosks" will either move to another section of the mall or disappear entirely.

If WEM is really serious about upgrading its image alot of the crap cluttering up its malls has got to go.

For example the teeth whitening kiosk packed up a couple of weeks ago so I suspect it's only a matter of time before the other non retail kiosks vanish.

As promised here is the link to the Ropes Quest pics from my Photobucket Album.

http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...tonPics346.jpg

http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...tonPics347.jpg
    Last edited by NielCole; 18-03-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast