Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The All Inclusive Smart Phone War

Default The All Inclusive Smart Phone War

I am with Telus and my 3 year plan with a Blackberry Pearl will expire in the next few months. I am therefore considering the iPhone 4 and would like to get your opinions on that phone versus say a BB Bold. I also have free voice mail and call display which I previously negotiated with Telus and am not willing to pay for these features.

Thanks in advance.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Have you used a touch screen phone? I had an iPhone 3GS for the past 18 months, and was almost relieved when I lost it because it meant I could go back and correct the mistake of purchasing a touchscreen only phone.

If you don't text or email much, probably not a big deal having a physical keyboard. If you don't mind the abortion that is iTunes and use your phone as much for media consumption as for a communication device, then perhaps an iPhone 4 makes sense.

Personally now that I've had it work a week, I'm liking my Torch more and more. It's not as "slick" as the iPhone was to be sure, but it has a standby battery life that's 3-4 times as long as the iPhone and a physical keyboard, which were my two biggest complaints about the iPhone along with iTunes. The 3GS requires daily charging with even moderate use, anyone telling you different is lying. Not sure if the 4 was much improved in that respect, but I doubt it.

And finally, the iPhone 5 will probably be released or at least announced in the next couple months. If you're set on one, probably best to wait for the latest and greatest.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I would suggest neither and go with Android, it has massively grown in the last year and is the number one operating system in the world with no signs of slowing down. Things like running Flash, customizing your screens with widgets (allows data to be shown on your home screens without going in and out of apps), variety of hand sets (screen sizes from 3.5" to 4.3", physical keyboards, etc), using your device as a hotspot (connecting up to 8 devices to your phones internet connection), typing using Swype, more than just the home button (has menu, back and search buttons), true multi tasking, and a superior notification system are just a few reasons why. I had the HTC Desire and got the HTC Desire HD last week and it cannot be beat.
    Last edited by Hilman; 17-02-2011 at 05:24 PM.

If you go touchscreen, look at Android or Windows Phone products, I personally find them to be superior to the iPhone. My wife played with lots of phones via friends and family and got a Samsung Galaxy S, and she prefers it to the iPhone.

One thing to note, if you go with a touchscreen smartphone, know that simple voice quality is crap on almost all of them. If you do lots of talking, a Blackberry might be a better device, as they seem to still actually care about voice quality.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Have you used a touch screen phone? I had an iPhone 3GS for the past 18 months, and was almost relieved when I lost it because it meant I could go back and correct the mistake of purchasing a touchscreen only phone.

If you don't text or email much, probably not a big deal having a physical keyboard. If you don't mind the abortion that is iTunes and use your phone as much for media consumption as for a communication device, then perhaps an iPhone 4 makes sense.

Personally now that I've had it work a week, I'm liking my Torch more and more. It's not as "slick" as the iPhone was to be sure, but it has a standby battery life that's 3-4 times as long as the iPhone and a physical keyboard, which were my two biggest complaints about the iPhone along with iTunes. The 3GS requires daily charging with even moderate use, anyone telling you different is lying. Not sure if the 4 was much improved in that respect, but I doubt it.

And finally, the iPhone 5 will probably be released or at least announced in the next couple months. If you're set on one, probably best to wait for the latest and greatest.
    Thanks Marcel. You're right because it does depend what your main use of the device is. I never text but do email a lot and don't talk so much on the phone. The music stuff wouldn't interest me but I have an iPod Touch and like the way that works. Glad you like the Torch and will look into that one as well, battery life is definitely a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    I would suggest neither and go with Android, it has massively grown in the last year and is the number one operating system in the world with no signs of slowing down. Things like running Flash, customizing your screens with widgets (allows data to be shown on your home screens without going in and out of apps), variety of hand sets (screen sizes from 3.5" to 4.3", physical keyboards, etc), using your device as a hotspot (connecting up to 8 devices to your phones internet connection), typing using Swype, more than just the home button (has menu, back and search buttons), true multi tasking, and a superior notification system are just a few reasons why. I had the HTC Desire and got the HTC Desire HD last week and it cannot be beat.
    Thanks Hilman. Have heard of the Android devices and they are getting very good reviews. Does seem a little more complex for what I would need as I am certainly not a techi.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    If you go touchscreen, look at Android or Windows Phone products, I personally find them to be superior to the iPhone. My wife played with lots of phones via friends and family and got a Samsung Galaxy S, and she prefers it to the iPhone.

One thing to note, if you go with a touchscreen smartphone, know that simple voice quality is crap on almost all of them. If you do lots of talking, a Blackberry might be a better device, as they seem to still actually care about voice quality.
    Thanks Chmilz. In what way do you find the above superior to the other phones? I've heard the voice quality might not be so good but I probably make six calls a week on my phone! Yes I know, why am I getting another one!!

I heart my torch VERY much
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

I would miss BBM if I didn't have a Blackberry, so many friends are on it.

I just have the bold (work supports it but not Torch). Supposedly the next bold will have a small touch screen, I think that would be perfect for me as I like the Bolds size but find the Torch a little clunky the few times I've played with them.

I'd rather C2E than work!

bold 9700 have very good battery life so far but one problem is that if bell released software 6.0 for that bold, memory is not that great because bold 9700 have only 256 mb memory. 6.0 will only make memory free space much smaller perhaps 50 - 75 mb left. I suggested that software 6.0 will work great for bold 9780 because they have 512 MB memory.

for 6.0 to be released soon for bell , 3G pearl, curve 9300 3G and bold 9700.

telus , curve 9300 3G and pearl 3G

rogers, curve 3G 9300

BB torch and bold 9780 for big 3 carriers have software 6.0
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Partially Addicted to C2E

Android. More variety of phones and will surpass IPhone as an operating system soon. My prediction, BlackBerry will be a blast from the past in the not too distant future. Remember Palm Pilot?

C2E Continued Contributor

I have an iPhone 4. If you ever look into your hands and one is holding a phone and the other is holding an iPod and you ever ask yourself "why can't it just be one", then that's the way to go.
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I synced my whole iTunes library on my Android device, it also has a built in FM radio and can stream any radio/internet station you would want to play as well as streaming video (even Flash sites).

I have 2 of them with me, blackberry 9700 and samsung galaxy s vibrant from bell, I like samsung far better than blackberry.

Quote Originally Posted by jstock View Post
    I have an iPhone 4. If you ever look into your hands and one is holding a phone and the other is holding an iPod and you ever ask yourself "why can't it just be one", then that's the way to go.
    Every smartphone does the exact same thing, not just an iPhone. My wife has her entire music collection and a ton of video on her Samsung. She has an iPod but doesn't use it anymore. Android and WP7 (Windows Phone) have "music player" as a basic function, and do it well, without the awfulness of iTunes. Zune for WP7 is a superior program by virtually every imaginable metric.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

First One is Always Free

Denizen, have you considered Android? There are several reasons why you should go with one versus a Blackberry or an iPhone.

1. Variety. Unlike Apple, Android doesn't dictate what they think consumers want. There are models released on the Android platform practically every month. Not even Blackberry comes out with that many new models.

2. Supports both Flash and HTML 5. iPhones and Blackberries do not support Flash, which is unfortunate considering that Youtube, several games, etc. all still use Flash.

3. Sure the iPhone has that app store with over 300,000 apps. Most of these apps are duplicates (eg. fart applications). Several go unused and none of them are monitored by Apple. So you may get lucky and get a fantastic app, but chances are better that you end up with garbage. But if the application store still tickles your fancy, the Android market supports over 135,000 applications and is still growing.

4. Google supports Android. Meaning that you'll be able to download Google Maps for free.

5. True multitasking. You can have several applications running at once in the background.

6. Customization though widgets, wallpapers, etc.

7. Most phones come with their own operating system that complements and even enhances the Android experience. Eg, HTC Sense.

8. Expandable memory up to 32GB through microSD. iPhone only comes in three sizes (8GB, 16GB, 32GB). That's it. So if you're looking for less or more memory, Android is much more flexible.

9. Cost. Android phones are much more cost effective than the iPhone.

10. Repair and warranty. With iPhones, the only place that can actually help you out when the phone starts breaking down is the Apple store. Not even your carrier can help you out with more complex issues. You have to book an appointment with one of their geniuses, etc, etc. You can go straight tp your carrier with any problems with an Android phone.

11. Apple really messed around with reception. Death grip is still kicking around.

11. If you're really after the touch screen though, you have to be more careful with them. They're more fragile no matter which one you go with.

Here's some good Android phones from some of the carriers:

Telus- HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate
    Bell- HTC Desire Z
    Koodo- LG Optimus One (coming in March). Good if you don't want a contract but still want good coverage.
    Last edited by lpasternak1; 18-02-2011 at 01:19 AM.
    Against everything that supports status quo.
    http://twitter.com/LeePasternak

Quote Originally Posted by lpasternak1 View Post
    10. Repair and warranty. With iPhones, the only place that can actually help you out when the phone starts breaking down is the Apple store. Not even your carrier can help you out with more complex issues. You have to book an appointment with one of their geniuses, etc, etc. You can go straight tp your carrier with any problems with an Android phone.
    I totally disagree with this one. You can return an Apple to the place you purchased it from / carrier, just like an Android or Blackberry, and you will get that type of service (maybe replacement if new enough, or send away to be repaired).

But with an Apple (and no, I don't have one and aren't a fanboy, but a friend does), you can take it to Apple store and 9/10 they fix it on the spot in about 20 minutes. The Apple store service, IMO, is amazing, it is one of the only things that would lean me towards an Apple.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^ the HTC Desire HD came out on TELUS last week and I have to say it is an amazing phone, it blows my HTC Desire out of the water. The 4.3" screen is unreal and unibody aluminum construction makes it feel great/very sturdy. Very good points lpasternak1, Android is already taking the smartphone industry over and love the HTC brand, their HTC Sense UI (user interface) is by far the best one out there.

Since you want to stay on TELUS, here are their smartphones:

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/s...es/index.shtml

Wow! Just fascinating responses. Thanks everyone. I really had no idea how big this Android market was and the variety of phones out there is astonishing the more I look. I have been reviewing the HTC for example versus the iPhone and from what I can see it does appear that the HTC is a "better" phone, has more options and features and a lot of the techi stuff discussed is beyond me.

The more I think about it, it is really a personal choice. I use an iPod Touch and find it extremely simple to use and basically it's like a mini-computer which costs $0 to use, emailing etc. (unless you want to buy things from iTunes - though I dislike that website). With BB I don't like the keyboard so much and NEVER text whereas the keyboard on the iPod is very user-friendly (and likely the HTC is as well).

So, if I was really into phones and the apps and whole cell phone psyche I'd get the HTC HD but erm I'm still chewing on the Apple.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The thing about phones like the HTC Desire HD is you can make it as simple or as high tech as you want. If you just want a bunch of app icons then you can, or you can add widgets to your home screens and make the phone "yours". I have widgets like The Score which cycles through the scores of the leagues you want right on your home screen. This updates scores and allows you to see the data without going in and out of apps. I have similar widgets for my calendar (shows upcoming appointments), Friends Stream (shows my Facebook and Twitter updates without going into apps or needing to refresh them), oil & gas prices, Canadian dollar, weather, etc that I can see instant data whereas an iPhone would need you to literally go in and out of 7 or more apps, update/refresh to see the same info. Widgets make your phone useful and quick, iPhones are truly an ancient way to view the things you want to see.

If you are worried about app selection, the Android Market has grown from 50,000 apps to 150,000 in the last 6-9 months and has the same popular apps that Apple has but you do not require a huge program like iTunes to manage it. If you search for apps on the Market website, when you click install, it instantly pushes the download to your phone. No need for hooking up your phone to your computer, syncing, etc. I have an iPad, iPod touch and an Android phone (Desire HD) and the Android operating system is a much better experience.

You have some misinformation here, which I'll address....

Denizen, have you considered Android? There are several reasons why you should go with one versus a Blackberry or an iPhone.

2. Supports both Flash and HTML 5. iPhones and Blackberries do not support Flash, which is unfortunate considering that Youtube, several games, etc. all still use Flash.
    YouTube plays just fine on the iPhone. They have an entire app for it, and if you click on a YouTube link, the movie plays in the app.

3. Sure the iPhone has that app store with over 300,000 apps. Most of these apps are duplicates (eg. fart applications). Several go unused and none of them are monitored by Apple. So you may get lucky and get a fantastic app, but chances are better that you end up with garbage. But if the application store still tickles your fancy, the Android market supports over 135,000 applications and is still growing.
    Yet the Android app store represents such a small fraction of the money generated by the iTunes app store. Why is that? Could it be that people on Android don't buy apps? If they don't buy apps, and developers aren't making money off the apps, how long before those developers stop developing the apps?

4. Google supports Android. Meaning that you'll be able to download Google Maps for free.
    Google Maps comes free on the iPhone.

How are they more cost effective?

Yes, the whole repair and warranty thing with Apple is horrible! You book an appointment online, show up at the time, and they either fix your phone or give you a replacement within 15 mins. Terrible, horrible, no good Apple service people (that was sarcasm).

Quote Originally Posted by hilman View Post
    If you search for apps on the Market website, when you click install, it instantly pushes the download to your phone. No need for hooking up your phone to your computer, syncing, etc.
    You can download apps directly to the iPhone. Just click on "App Store" and search and download there.

As for "same popular apps that Apple has" being on Android... are you sure about that? Here's the current list of top 10 paid apps on the iTunes App store, and whether they're on Android:

1. Angry Birds (Yes, a free, ad-supported version)
    2. JellyCar 3 (No)
    3. Fruit Ninja (Yes)
    4. Camera+ (No)
    5. WhatsApp Messenger (Yes)
    6. Angry Birds Seasons (Yes, a free, ad-supported version)
    7. Cut the Rope (No)
    8. Tap DJ - Mix and Scratch your Music (No)
    9. Carnivores: Ice Age (No)
    10. Where's Waldo? The Fantastic Journey (No)

So, out of the top 10 current iPhone apps, only 4 of them are available on Android, and two of those four have ads in them.

I love my iPhone.

If you enjoyed your iPod Touch, you'll really like your iPhone. There are tons of really useful and fun apps, most for very low prices (like a buck). I can't speak to the service, because I haven't needed it. YouTube works great. All of the various map and GPS things work great. The phone works great. The music player works great. Etc.

My favourite apps are a bunch of the photography apps (I love the camera!!!), some great cooking and grocery shopping apps, and a variety of others I use regularly (my alarm clock app). I rarely surf the net on my phone, so can't really speak to that.

I don't know how well it works with a PC. I've been using mac computers for years, so much of the approach is familiar to me, and it syncs up with my computer and MobileMe account perfectly. I plug it in to my computer as a matter of course every evening and sync/update and charge.

I have no experience with phones running Android OS or with a Blackberry. I hope those that have them enjoy them as much as I do my iPhone.

Whatever your choice, I hope it works out great for you.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'll admit the Market needs more games but for the apps, it is exactly the same. I know you can download apps from your phone as I have an iPad and iPod but I prefer to surf and look for apps on an actual website, especially when trying on a tiny 3.5" iPod screen.

As for Flash, I get numerous no Flash warnings when surfing on my iPad, a lot more than Apple fans want to admit.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

One of the biggest downsides to the iPhone is probably not having a user replaceable battery which could be an issue if you are a heavy user of wireless data or if you have the phone on for extended periods (e.g. playing games, watching videos, etc).

I bought a portable USB charger that holds 4AA NimH batteries that I have with me to provide a charge if I need it. There are also cases that double as an external power supply. Another potential downside is having to pay Apple to replace the battery at the end of its life cycle. Of course if you upgrade your phone on a regular basis this might not be an issue.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Regarding worldwide marketshare, there are many ways to calculate such marketshare, and important—yet largely undiscussed—divisions remain between hardware and software.

Interesting article: Google Android counts include incompatible/rival Chinese variants
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

I also love my iphone 4. I was using a blackberry bold before, the only thing i miss is BBM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

It works both ways Gord, Apple released Google Translate this month whereas Android has had that app since January 2010. Does Apple have Google Goggles? No, how about Google Navigation? Google Sky Maps? How about Flash 10.1? Handscent SMS? Where is the free ringtone app with 300,000+ ringtones like Zedge, Ringtone, RingLert?

Android phones are cheaper, the best phone at TELUS right now is $499 without a contract whereas an iPhone is up to $749, cheaper Android phones run around $199-299.

As for the Apple youtube app, when I search on my iPad, I will get very few hits (like 10) when compared to the internet (5200 videos for one of my searches). Apple needs to make apps so the iPhone works, Android devices do the same things but on something called the internet lol.

I've went with Android, it does everything an iPhone will do but as well
    Standard micro USB connector (and charger)
    Standard 3.5 mm headphone jack
    Fairly full Bluetooth profiles (Apple has limited the number of Bluetooth profiles)
    Micro SD socket
    Flash apps can run

C2E Continued Contributor

I've been an owner of a BlackBerry Pearl Flip 8230 for near a couple of years now. It suits me alright, despite having a somewhat small screen and a crappy camera.

I know not everybody likes clamshells, but I've never been a real non-clamshell fan. For one thing, you don't have to worry about your phone dialing a number on its own while it's in your pocket - this happens to my dad's BB a lot. Another is that you can potentially end up getting onto wireless internet by accident - this did happen to someone I know, who ended up paying an extra $200 on his phone bill. And a clamshell's screen also won't end up getting seriously scratched or even cracked over time.
    Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

It works both ways Gord, Apple released Google Translate this month whereas Android has had that app since January 2010. Does Apple have Google Goggles? No, how about Google Navigation? Google Sky Maps?
    You said "and has the same popular apps that Apple has," which was an incorrect statement, as I pointed out. "Apple" did not release Google Translate, Google released it on the iPhone. Apple doesn't decide when a company releases an app on their phone, and are you really surprised that Google has released more apps on the mobile OS that they developed? Sure, there are popular apps that are on Android and not on iOS, but you can't say that Android has "the same popular apps that Apple has" because that statement isn't correct.

As for the Apple youtube app, when I search on my iPad, I will get very few hits (like 10) when compared to the internet (5200 videos for one of my searches).
    Click on the "More Videos" at the bottom of the screen and more will load. Oh, I also just went to Youtube.com on my iPhone and I was wrong, the videos don't need to load in the YouTube app, they play just fine in the browser.

Apple needs to make apps so the iPhone works, Android devices do the same things but on something called the internet lol.
    Huh? This comment makes absolutely no sense.

I don't care if someone likes using an Android product because that's what they own, just don't lie about the features of the iPhone to make the Android product look better. If Android really is the superior product then it should be able to stand up for itself.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

You pointed out that a few games in their top 10 weren't on Android which is to be expected as they are games catered to Apple. I said the same apps were available on both platforms, stuff like Facebook, Twitter, ESPN, Kayak, eBay, etc.

I am not lying about anything, the fact is that numerous sites I visit on a daily basis have a "no Flash detected" warning on my iPad and I cannot view the content including links to YouTube where the video was not found/didn't work.

1. Variety. Unlike Apple, Android doesn't dictate what they think consumers want. There are models released on the Android platform practically every month. Not even Blackberry comes out with that many new models.

5. True multitasking. You can have several applications running at once in the background.

6. Customization though widgets, wallpapers, etc.

7. Most phones come with their own operating system that complements and even enhances the Android experience. Eg, HTC Sense.

8. Expandable memory up to 32GB through microSD. iPhone only comes in three sizes (8GB, 16GB, 32GB). That's it. So if you're looking for less or more memory, Android is much more flexible.

11. Apple really messed around with reception. Death grip is still kicking around.

11. If you're really after the touch screen though, you have to be more careful with them. They're more fragile no matter which one you go with.

Here's some good Android phones from some of the carriers:

Telus- HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate
    Bell- HTC Desire Z
    Koodo- LG Optimus One (coming in March). Good if you don't want a contract but still want good coverage.

bell have samsung galaxy s vibrant
    rogers have samsung galaxy s captivate

Thank you everyone for your input, insight and advice, it is much appreciated. Having a day off work I went to Best Buy this morning. It was an interesting experience. I looked at the HTC (the one with high definition) and although it wasn’t “on” I knew it was too big for my hand (I’m quite petite and have small hands). Similarly, the Samsung was larger than I thought. Seems however that Best Buy has a fondness for the iPhone because that particular phone was in full working order. I was able to use it to make phone calls and take pictures etc. which kind of astounded me. The voice quality, at least in the store was very good. I left and pondered because although from the above I had pretty well made up my mind, I didn’t want to sign-up right there and then. Wonder why some of the other phones were not given the same availability to use and get a feel for?

An hour later I went back and used the iPhone demo phone again and decided it was probably right for me so I bought it through Telus on a three year contract, I’ll explain.

Wasn’t particularly happy with yet another (since 1997) three year contract but if you have a cell phone (and I won’t do pay as you go) you are going to need a contract regardless of whether it is one year or three. When I got home and took it out the box I connected it to my computer, just like I did/do with my iPod Touch and everything I wanted to sync (email, some apps, some photographs, contacts) synced effortlessly. The phone in fact acted just like my iPod Touch. It was neat adding photographs to my contacts and I tested a few when they phoned and their picture displayed. I set up various ring tones for certain people and only because I already had the knowledge, it was very simple.

After making two calls, the reception was excellent and in fact I would say it was definitely clearer than with my BB Pearl. The phone itself looks fabulous. The neat thing is I really have no learning curve and no new software to deal with.

Again, thanks everyone for your valuable information. I guess when it comes down to it, it is a personal choice based on a number of things; comfort zone, esthetics and technical expertise.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Enjoy

I heard that in 3 yrs from now android platform phones will be top selling beating out iphone or nokia.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

They already outsell iPhones, in 2010 Android sold 67.2 million versus 46.6 million.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20031147-251.html

very good security for mobile phones.... it can be downloaded on devices for windows 7 , android and blackberrys

https://www.mylookout.com/
    Last edited by jagators63; 19-02-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I don't understand the hype about Android phones... every single person I know who has one wishes they had bought a iPhone or even a Blackberry. Not a single one of them is happy with their new phone.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Likewise with the iPhone users I know, I have owned them all and the new Android 2.2 OS is amazing, the iPhone full of useless icons needs a massive re-engineering.

So you don't like the iPhone because there are some apps that ship with it that you don't use?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I don't like the iphone for numerous reasons, the home screens of useless app icons and horrible notification system are two big issues. And by useless app icons I mean all it is is a bunch of icons. The Android widgets show realtime data on the home screen without opening numerous apps. Why would I want to open an app, refresh data, close and repeat 7-8 times to get the info I want/need?
    Last edited by Hilman; 20-02-2011 at 09:34 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    I don't understand the hype about Android phones... every single person I know who has one wishes they had bought a iPhone or even a Blackberry. Not a single one of them is happy with their new phone.
    One of the problems with Android is that there's no minimum hardware spec, so some of the phones out there are pretty crappy and barely capable of running the OS, and certainly not well.

However the top end ones can do everything an iPhone can and much more. The ones being released this spring even more so, with dual core processors and much more powerful graphics processing ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    One of the problems with Android is that there's no minimum hardware spec, so some of the phones out there are pretty crappy and barely capable of running the OS, and certainly not well.
    That's why they are selling well, lots of cheap and dirties out there, it was a way for Samsung and others to get into the market. I like the concept of Android being open and similar, but I have heard of complaints about the software not being that intuitive or nice. It seems to be playing "catch up" all the time.

I like my Bold because of work integration, and its really a brilliant messaging machine if that's what you want a phone for. It is no coincidence that when they show the US congress or senate they are all holding Bolds. BBM is also big thing that traps a lot of people with Blackberry, if all of your friends have BBM, its hard to be out of the pack. The Apples are cool because of the music integration, the speed of the menus, the great service at Apple Stores. I don't really think of any "it" thing to associate with Android though.
    Last edited by moahunter; 20-02-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Bell have officially release OS 6.0 for bold 9700 and curve 3G you can either use BB desktop manager or use the link by using USB

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...646D38BC2145CA

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/18/c...-geeky-for-pr/

There is some truth in what he says...

Jusayin'

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    I am happy with my Android and I don't wish I had bought an iPhone or Blackberry. But then I'm not in your "every single person I know" category.

I have a Blackberry Pearl and do not use one tenth of the features it offers. I don't tweet or hardly use any of the apps. I do take pictures with it. I'm not sure how half the 'stuff' works. Telus makes a profit off me because I don't use most of the features.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

android phones have increasing popular in canada.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/02/23/sa...nes-in-canada/

^easy when you are starting from nothing, lol. Not surprisng that the company that invented the App dominates in the market.

Doesn't sound like you really need a splashy smart phone if you're only using a small bit of your existing crackberry.

I'd shop around for plans versus phones then. Ask very specifically, especially Bell, "if at some later date I want to upgrade - what does your contract state, and please highlight where ..."

If you're into music, the advantage of the iPhone is it doubles as an iPod (oddly at less cost than an iPod, which can't double as a smart-phone). Combine that with a Bose video sound system and you can sell off a couple of dozen square feet of stereo and speakers and still have much better sound.
    ... gobsmacked

Well, the iPhone costs "less" than an iPod Touch because it's subsidized by the carrier.

Still a good deal.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Basically all smartphones can act as an MP3 player, and have been for years. And most Android and Blackberry phones support microSD cards for removable storage, unlike iPhones.

And Bose has a fairly poor name amongst the audiophile community. They spend far more money on marketing than actual research and development. If you're just getting some docking station or something it probably doesn't matter. But for legitimate home theater or other systems where sound quality vs. value is actually important, there are a dozen other manufacturers that make far better products for less money.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 24-02-2011 at 02:54 PM.

^ Perhaps I should not have offered a qualitative analysis and stuck to quantitative.

There are people with vinyl records who will suggest there is no digital music system anyhow, anywhere at any cost that can replace the "depth" of the analogue LP.

Some will tell you, if your room isn't a mini-music hall shoebox- no system is going to enhance your listening pleasure.

So, I retract the qualitative claim.

Quantitatively (and my Bose system didn't cost nearly what I feared), my iPod, docking station and Bose system replaced a lot of stereo equipment; casette deck, amp, speakers, subwoofer and boxes all, and I maintain sounds better.

Had I the opportunity then to purchase an iPhone which would have replaced all that PLUS my crackeberry and my oh-so-sad Palm Treo (ugh, ugh, UGH), I'd have lept at it and be very happy about it then and now.
    ... gobsmacked

What the iphone really has going for it is the apps. Because development groups and carriers see the huge demand and interest in iphone product, they're developing a lot more for it. However a lot of the stuff out there is fluff and a lot of the core apps that actually provide utility can also be found on the Blackberry as well as Android products, even the Windows phones are ramping up the amount of apps they offer.

I have used an iphone and still have a harder time typing than with a Blackberry but that's something I got used to over time. I didn't need to be typing out a 100 words per minute anyways so the difference wasn't significant enough to switch phones. I am however looking into an android phone for my next one since there are quite a lot of hassles with the iphone and it being locked to certain parameters.

if you have access to an "app builder" can you create and load ?
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

iPhone 5 to have aluminum backing?

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/03/07/ip...minum-backing/

The Iphone is great but you cant get unlimited like the blackberry

it is first time ever that blackberry security has been breached as 3 guys at Pwn2Own event in Vancouver have successfully hacked into blackberry torch OS 6.0.0.246 and be able to steal all contact information as well as the image database.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-sec...d-pwn2own-2011

beautiful widgets is the best top selling ever for android and it is over 500,000 download !!

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/03/09/be...000-downloads/

take a look at rumors about iphone 5

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/03/29/in...one-5-rumours/

windows 7 will be # 2 software by 2015 but android is # 1

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/03/29/id...ehind-android/
    Last edited by jagators63; 29-03-2011 at 07:34 PM.

Jesus... you realize those are just predictions, not facts, right?

Oh I predict the next phone OS won't be Windows Mobile but Banana 6000 Mobile...

After using various interations of Windows Mobile I found that Microsoft seemed to eliminate more and more from their phone O/S. Oh sure it looked a bit better, but with less and less functionality I decided to go with Android.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ What model did you get?

Oh I'm with Telus so went with the HTC Desire in September, has a micro SD slot micro USB connector much more open and standard then any iPhone. Telus now has the Desire HD slightly different screen and size. My previous Windows mobile phone is a HTC Touch.

This page gives a comparison of the two...
    http://www.mobile88.com/news/read.as...-versus-Desire

As well Telus said that Gingerbread updates should be available soon
    http://www.androidcentral.com/telus-...edule-revealed

Bell or Rogers probably have something very similar.
    Last edited by sundance; 30-03-2011 at 05:44 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Nice, I had the HTC Desire and sold it to a coworker and now have the HTC Desire HD, it is truly an amazing phone. The 4.3" screen is great and the 1 GHz Snapdragon processor is quick. HTC is definitely the way to go, nothing beats their HTC Sense UI.

I currently have a Blackberry 8130 Pearl and maxed out the puny ROMemory after maybe 7 or 8 apps. It keeps freezing and leaks RAM like a sieve, but for a phone that is a 4 or 5 year old design it's as good as I could expect.

I was waiting for the all powerful Motorola Atrix (Dual core 1Ghz, 1GB RAM) but was discouraged after the locked bootloader and not easy customization of the Android OS. So I'm now waiting for the Samsung Galaxy S II which will not be out for at least 1 or 2 months, if not longer. Same specs but Samsung is a little friendlier on the locked bootloader.

For the OP, unfortunately Blackberry is starting to fall behind in the hardware department. They will be porting out BBM to Android and iOS (so I hear) which I think is a positive more for them.

^Supposedly RIM's next phone refresh in their FY12 2q will have 1Ghz dual core processors and higher resolution screens. Unfortunately they will be clinging to the Blackberry OS rather than QNX which could have offered the possibility of access to Android apps.

2 phones I know of right now have 1Ghz dual core, let alone a year from now. The problem is that RIM is lagging behind in hardware and I think it's hurting their consumer market share.

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    Unfortunately they will be clinging to the Blackberry OS rather than QNX which could have offered the possibility of access to Android apps.
    IMO that might be a bad mistake, QNX appears to have a lot more potential. There is some talk of conflict in the Blackberry organization with duplicate teams working on QNX and Blacberry OS at the same time.

^^^^ MOA.... take a look at this link ...http://crackberry.com/there-can-be-o...ry-6-1-and-qnx

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

RIM really needs to change to keep up with Android and iOs, they are losing a lot of market share due to very slow improvements to their OS and app store.

Quote Originally Posted by JBear View Post
    2 phones I know of right now have 1Ghz dual core, let alone a year from now. The problem is that RIM is lagging behind in hardware and I think it's hurting their consumer market share.
    I believe RIM's fiscal 2011 year end was this past March 24th. So Q2 FY2012 should in September of 2011. Still lagging though, and there is going to be price pressure from Android phones as well.

New Broadcom Chipsets

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    Unfortunately they will be clinging to the Blackberry OS rather than QNX which could have offered the possibility of access to Android apps.
    IMO that might be a bad mistake, QNX appears to have a lot more potential. There is some talk of conflict in the Blackberry organization with duplicate teams working on QNX and Blacberry OS at the same time.
    It's gotta be managed, and managed with some authority and hard decisions. When Apple was transitioning from the legacy Mac OS 9.x to the vastly different OS X, Steve Jobs opened the Worldwide Developers Conference with a funeral for OS 9; coffin and funeral march, the whole deal. There were widespread reports that 9 could have been made a bit more modern, a few more things added—but no. It was time to cut the cord and it payed off well.

Unless they serve drastically different purposes or markets, dual OSes can be a real quagmire for the companies that market them.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Apple iPhone 5 Could See Delay to Fall
    By Scott Moritz 04/05/11

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Apple's(AAPL_) iPhone 5 delay could stretch to fall. "This year's iPhone launch is likely to be later, towards the August/September timeframe," Barclay's Capital analyst Ben Reitzes wrote in a research note Tuesday. Concerns about Apple's iPhone 5 missing at the traditional June launch as well as a re-balancing move in the Nasdaq-100 index have been a knock on Apple shares recently.

Reducing Apple's prominence in the Nasdaq-100 to 12% of the index value from 20% has nothing to do with the business of selling sleek gadgets, but it is expected to put some selling pressure on the stock as money managers adjust their Apple holdings to match the Nasdaq-100.

Apple shares are down 7% since an all-time peak of $363 in February. One of the leading worries is that the Apple iPhone has been knocked off its throne by a bunch of new, muscular Google(GOOG_) Android phones.

The dated iPhone 4 and the potentially-delayed iPhone 5 threaten to put Apple in a catch-up mode as rivals release big-screen, super-speedy 4G LTE phones.
    Full link: http://www.thestreet.com/story/11072...cm_ven=GOOGLEN

This would be bad news for Apple and open the door even wider for Android to widen their sales gap.

Default Antennagate

From MSNBC.

Months later, the whole "Antennagate" seems like a fallacy. Fewer dropped calls on Verizon's iPhones suggest that AT&T's network is likely to be the culprit for call drops. Even still, AT&T's iPhone owners report reasonably high satisfaction, so the problem clearly wasn't an epidemic. Meanwhile, the "death grip" itself has been proven in lab testing to apply to all phones.

Actually Sony announced that because of the tsunami they will be delayed a bit supplying the iPhone 5 camera. Apparently 8 megapixels.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/22413...mera_spec.html

^^I recently picked up an inexpensive Android phone when I was in the UK and the first thing I did was root the phone to rid it of its branding and upgrade to a newer version of Android. Certainly the various hardware UI customizations creates an inconsistent end user experience. Unfortunately, manufacturers are beginning to erect barriers to prevent end users from rooting their phones.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

It would be a huge mistake to have a 5 MP camera in the IP5 as most high end Android phones already have 8 MP cameras.

^I don't think so. I can't really tell the difference between a 3meg, 5meg or 8meg photo, unless you are expanding it up, its irrelevant. If anything, from what I've read, megapixels aren't really the test of a good camera anymore, other factors like colour balance are more important. No cell phones are really that great as the sensors are small, but fine for just family or similar. I can't imagine anyone dumb enough to pick one phone over another just because the camera has a few more pixels.

^ I think you're right. Most people just want a cool phone that works and a bunch of useful apps that are easy to use. I doubt there is any other phone with sales that come close to the iPhone, because it does everything people want.

The current camera(s) on the iPhone 4 work great. My GF just bought one, her best friend just bought one, her best friend's husband just bought one. I don't remember even seeing anyone with an Android phone, but I've probably seen a hundred or more with an iPhone. It seems ubiquitous some times.

FWIW - the camera on my iPhone 3 is excellent too. I use it more than I use my Nikon.

The iPhone works great, a revolutionary product. The competition is playing catch up, and they have a very long way to go.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Don't kid yourself, people see 5 MP versus 8 and it might sway their decision if they aren't sure between models.

Because not trying to be on the bleeding edge of a hardware spec race has hurt Apple so badly thus far...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    ^ I think you're right. Most people just want a cool phone that works and a bunch of useful apps that are easy to use. I doubt there is any other phone with sales that come close to the iPhone, because it does everything people want.

The current camera(s) on the iPhone 4 work great. My GF just bought one, her best friend just bought one, her best friend's husband just bought one. I don't remember even seeing anyone with an Android phone, but I've probably seen a hundred or more with an iPhone. It seems ubiquitous some times.

FWIW - the camera on my iPhone 3 is excellent too. I use it more than I use my Nikon.

The iPhone works great, a revolutionary product. The competition is playing catch up, and they have a very long way to go.
    Funny, I see more Android phones now, especially when traveling to the US. How is Android playing catch up exactly? Their top end phones have bigger screens, dual processors, Flash 10.2, more RAM, higher camera specs, better sales, etc., seems Apple is the one needing to catch up.

Funny, I don't know anyone with an Android phone, and know tons and tons of people with iPhones.

In regards to cameras, correct, it's not all about the megapixels, and you're right when you say people get too caught up in them. Where it counts is when you try to print that photo out; if you're stuck with a lower megapixel image, you're limited in the sizes you can print it. Of course the sensor used to capture the image is important to any high-quality photo, so looking at a high megapixel count doesn't tell you the quality of the actual image.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I guess you guys are bucking the trend, 33% of new smartphones in the US are now Android with Apple in third at 25% for the 3 months ending February 28, 2011. Looks like their lead is gaining momentum.

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/android...arket-ck-90064

^it depends on how you define "smartphone". A lot of the $0 freebee phones that are available for kids and similar, use Android now. I actually think it hurts Androids image. To me, its the cheapskates phone. Or, the nerds phone - i.e. obsessed with "tech gee whiz ahead of simplicity / coolness". This is why I'm guessing like Gord and Jimbo, no-one in my social network has one. Apple and Blackberry aren't competing in that part of the market Android is (and don't want to).
    Last edited by moahunter; 06-04-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    ^The current camera(s) on the iPhone 4 work great. My GF just bought one, her best friend just bought one, her best friend's husband just bought one. I don't remember even seeing anyone with an Android phone, but I've probably seen a hundred or more with an iPhone. It seems ubiquitous some times.
    My GF switched back to blackberry for two reasons:

- keyboard easier to type when you have long nails
    - all her friends (and me) have BBM

Her Iphone was cool, but she doesn't miss it at all, especially as she is a power user of twitter and similar, which Blackberry's do very well.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^it depends on how you define "smartphone". A lot of the $0 freebee phones that are available for kids and similar, use Android now. I actually think it hurts Androids image. To me, its the cheapskates phone. Or, the nerds phone - i.e. obsessed with "tech gee whiz ahead of simplicity / coolness". This is why I'm guessing like Gord and Jimbo, no-one in my social network has one. Apple and Blackberry aren't competing in that market (and don't want to).
    Most phones are "free" or at a minimal cost ($30-50) under contract, you just pay for it over the term of your contract. The telcos are subsidizing you, so the phone isn't free as the phone manufacturers are getting money for their products. Companies like HTC, Motorola, et al aren't giving their phones away for free, they would be out of business pretty quickly if that was the case.

As for a nerd's phone, the people I know with high end Android devices are far from "nerds" and surprisingly female including nurses, house mom's and office workers. Android phones are no more complicated than an iPhone, not sure why people think that they are.

I think it is the fragmentation that keeps you from realizing that you have seen/know people with Androids. Iphones are very distinct but Androids come from half a dozen (in Canada) manufactures with several models each. You don't have the same instant recognition factor. I found alot more people than I realized had Androids when I started asking people about their phones when I started doing some research before buying one.

With the blackberry you can get on these unlimited calling/data (yes even tethering to your computer) plans for $25/month no contract. 2 carriers right now Wind and Moblicity.

But the Iphone can be unlocked for all the free apps, downloads etc but will not work on these unlimited carriers.

With my android (HTC Desire) I can tether for no additional costs aside then Telus' way too expensive data plans. So 2 GB of mobile data would cost me the same if I tethered and used 2 GB of data.
    Last edited by sundance; 07-04-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Motorola's iPad-rival "Xoom" tablet sales slashed to 100,000 units

"Honeycomb buzz suffers colony collapse disorder" - lol

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Why don't we wait until the WiFi versions are sold. Most people don't want the expense or contractual obligations of a 3G model, especially when 99% of it is used on WiFi or can be used on a hotspot function of an Android or iPhone. Also, Android phone sales are much higher than iPhones, wouldn't it be logical to expect most future tablet buyers to buy one that mirrors their smartphones? As Android strengthens it's lead in sales, tablet sales will mirror this and iPad sales will drop especially with numerous Android models coming to the market like the Asus Eee Pad Transformer that has amazing specs and is only $399.

http://androidheadlines.com/2011/04/...er-at-400.html

It's also nearly 1lbs heavier than the iPad. The Android tablets are being bundled with contracts? With an iPad you just pay every 30 days for the 3G connection, not on a contract basis.

You keep mentioning that there are tons of Android phones out there, with them outselling iPhones, but why are the app sales so pathetic then? Why is Apple bringing in, what, 80% of the app revenue? It sounds as though people who get an Android phone aren't really making use of the features, and are likely just using it as a phone.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

App sales on Android are growing but they also have a lot of free apps with ads, so it's tough to compare. What apps does Apple have that aren't on Android? Seems all the ones on my iPad are on my Android phone. I have over 80 apps on my phone and use the actual phone for 1% of it's use, seems to do more than my friends with iPhones.

Data from my Traffic Counter app (since April 1/one week ago)
    Calls - 60 min
    Texts - 362
    Data - 575 MB (streaming data not used, i.e. radio, movie, TV feeds, etc)

So the US sales and worldwide sales showing Android selling 20 million more phones is wrong for 2010? Or the future projections showing Android at 50% and Apple at 20% are off too?

Where do you get one pound heavier?

iPad 1.5 lbs
    iPad 2 1.33 lbs
    Asus 1.98 lbs
    Last edited by Hilman; 07-04-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

It seems that many people who have bought Android phones bought them as the "poor mans" version of the iPhone or Blackberry. Because of this, they often bought one of the models that people want to throw in the garbage after 6 months. And because many of these models are so inexpensive, they can move on to the next "cheap" model put out by LG or Samsung with the next "latest and greatest" tools on board, only to go through the exact same cycle again a year later.

This doesn't apply to all of their phones... I know some people are very happy with the more expensive models. Unfortunately, with Android, most of the phones are garbage cheap rip-offs of the iPhone or Blackberry.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Most of the best phones out right now are Android, HTC Desire HD, Motorola Atrix, Samsung Nexus S, Samsung Galaxy S and soon to be Sony Experia Play which has a slide out Playstion controller instead of keyboard built in.

What has Blackberry done in the last few years??? I would call it Research In (slow) Motion. This would be why their market share of smartphones in the US has dropped in half from over 50% just a few years ago.

^RIM is dominating in many global markets where its more efficient use of band use is giving it a market advantage, the world doesn't just end at North America. RIM also has maintained a healthy image, it does extremely well with certain "hip" demographics (for example, young African Americans ), and has kept a healthy lead in the business sector. Obama and US congress members carry berry's not androids.

Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast