Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The All Inclusive Smart Phone War

I'd rather C2E than work!

Etownboarder I love my HTC Desire, it has a milled aluminum case very solid feel for a phone very thin. I would not consider it a "poor man's" phone at all, it does everything I want my phone to do except for ONE thing common with most phones... the camera. GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth, and yes I can play play Angry Birds on it. (still trying to get 3 stars in all levels argh).

I think this is what the iPhone could have been if they opened it up a bit, added a microSD card, micro USB charge/data cable.

I realize Blackberries have some advantages because of the keyboard versus a touch screen, but I'd rather have the touch screen.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Which may be true moa but the markets outside the US usually mirror them and they are starting to become heavy Android users (as well as the UK). Multiple manufacturers, models and features will allow Android phones to easily out sell Apple, people need to remember that Android has only been out since October 2008 (16 months after iOs) and has become mainstream and more polished than its first generation of phones.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Etownboarder I love my HTC Desire, it has a milled aluminum case very solid feel for a phone very thin. I would not consider it a "poor man's" phone at all, it does everything I want my phone to do except for ONE thing common with most phones... the camera. GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth, and yes I can play play Angry Birds on it. (still trying to get 3 stars in all levels argh).

I think this is what the iPhone could have been if they opened it up a bit, added a microSD card, micro USB charge/data cable.

I realize Blackberries have some advantages because of the keyboard versus a touch screen, but I'd rather have the touch screen.
    Have you downloaded the SlideIt app, truly an amazing way to type (same as Swype). You will never want to use another keyboard after trying it out.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.dasur.slideit

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post

I totally agree... there are definitely some great Android based phones, but there are also a ton of crappy ones too. With the whole "smartphone" craze and the changes in the cell phone market, people are able to get these "garbage" phones for dirt cheap, which they then replace 6 months - year later, and again another 6 months later, etc. This may be part of the reason why Android phone sales are higher. As I already said, this probably applies to half the smartphones on the market these days. Out of the dozen or so new smartphones that Samsung has put out, how many of them are any good? Why not put out a couple GOOD products instead of a bunch of mediocre ones. This is a problem that many phone makers have... and one that a few of them are starting to catch on to.
    Last edited by etownboarder; 07-04-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    I totally agree... there are definitely some great Android based phones, but there are also a ton of crappy ones too. With the whole "smartphone" craze and the changes in the cell phone market, people are able to get these "garbage" phones for dirt cheap, which they then replace 6 months - year later, and again another 6 months later, etc. This may be part of the reason why Android phone sales are higher. As I already said, this probably applies to half the smartphones on the market these days. Out of the dozen or so new smartphones that Samsung has put out, how many of them are any good? Why not put out a couple GOOD products instead of a bunch of mediocre ones. This is a problem that many phone makers have... and one that a few of them are starting to catch on to.
    This has been cited as one of Nokia's many missteps in the past decade. Dozens of barely-differentiated models and few standouts, billions of R&D wasted. Apple in the mid-90s==Nokia in the late aughts, the similarities are striking. It remains to be seen if Microsoft will bring to Espoo what the NeXT acquisition brought to Cupertino...
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Where do you get one pound heavier?

iPad 1.5 lbs
    iPad 2 1.33 lbs
    Asus 1.98 lbs
    Taken from the article you posted:
    "The only issue I can foresee is the tab is a bit weighty at 2.2 pounds."

So it's nearly 1lbs heavier than the iPad2.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

According the manufacturer, it will be 680 g or 1.5 lbs. I guess that is the same as the iPad and 77 g or 0.17 lbs heavier than the iPad2.

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=gHh4q7I8dvWJzhdV

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    ^ I think you're right. Most people just want a cool phone that works and a bunch of useful apps that are easy to use. I doubt there is any other phone with sales that come close to the iPhone, because it does everything people want.

The current camera(s) on the iPhone 4 work great. My GF just bought one, her best friend just bought one, her best friend's husband just bought one. I don't remember even seeing anyone with an Android phone, but I've probably seen a hundred or more with an iPhone. It seems ubiquitous some times.

FWIW - the camera on my iPhone 3 is excellent too. I use it more than I use my Nikon.

The iPhone works great, a revolutionary product. The competition is playing catch up, and they have a very long way to go.
    Funny, I see more Android phones now, especially when traveling to the US. How is Android playing catch up exactly? Their top end phones have bigger screens, dual processors, Flash 10.2, more RAM, higher camera specs, better sales, etc., seems Apple is the one needing to catch up.
    Lets face it, you hate the iPhone. I understand that. But it's not all about specs. That's something Apple gets, and many others don't.

But when I look around all I see are iPhones. All of my friends have iPhones. Most of the musicians I know have iPhones. They're everywhere, it seems. I'm just going by what I see with my own two eyes, rather than someones baloney sales figures. I'm sure there are some android phones out there too, but I'm not seeing them.

iPhones are still way ahead,here, as phones go. Android is obviously playing catch up, and I'm sure they eventually will, very soon, because they are on so many different phones, in many price ranges. But I'm not sure there's a phone that sells like the iPhone. If Apple decides to make cheaper phones - look out. Apple makes a premium product and goes for margin versus market share, but that could change.

Most people buy the phone, not the operating system.

If a phone, any phone, works great for you, that's all that matters.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I don't hate the iPhone, it's a good phone, what I hate is the blind followers who won't admit or even acknowledge that they might be another phone out there, let alone a phone that actually might do things better. Every iPhone user I have met hasn't the foggiest idea what an Android phone is or does, yet they bash them every chance they can. It's not an iPhone they say, I tell them, thank goodness for that.

Once they actually see a high end Android phone and see what it can do, their opinions drastically change and wonder why their phones don't do those things.

I've never heard an iPhone user bash Android. Never. Never has it even come up. I doubt it does, except in the juvenile online anti-Mac/PC/Android/? forums, where hating is the rule.

If you've paid attention to my posts, I've stated more than once I hope everybody is happy with their phones, whatever brand or operating system. I think most people feel that way. We're fortunate to have some great choices we couldn't have imagined a couple of years ago.

C'mon Hilman. You clearly do have a hateon for iPhones.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

As I just said, I honestly don't hate the iPhone rather the ignorant iPhone users who constantly degrade Android. iPhone users will ask what phone I have and after telling them what it is, 99% of them will say, oh, iPhones are way better, why didn't you get an iPhone? Android sucks. They are actually perplexed why anyone would get a phone that wasn't an iPhone. They will follow that by, your phone can't do what an iPhone does, thankfully it does more I usually tell them.

Most iPhone users I meet remind me of Calgarians, weird I know but it is true. When I lived in Calgary for 4-5 years in the early 2000's, any person that heard I was from Edmonton reacted the same way. That place is a hole, why would you live there, Edmonton sucks, etc. and when I asked them when was the last time they were in Edmonton, almost every person responded with "Ah, I have never been there.".

But I digress, iPhones are good phones and lots of people have them, I just wish the iPhone users I have met would open there eyes and allow the possibility that another phone/OS might be as good. iPhone users need to give Android a little respect as its numbers are huge and its growth is even bigger.

has anyone on the other or receiving end of one of your blogs twitters telecons ever asked what phone it was from ?
    Would you care ?
    Do you think that they care ?
    It's a personal tool folks
    buy use steal the one that suite YOU and your needs the best
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

It seems iPhone users care quite a bit as they tell me how great their phones are and how superior it is to an Android. Kind of ironic since a majority of them no squat about smartphones.

I've never heard an iPhone user bash Android. Never. Never has it even come up. I doubt it does, except in the juvenile online anti-Mac/PC/Android/? forums, where hating is the rule.

If you've paid attention to my posts, I've stated more than once I hope everybody is happy with their phones, whatever brand or operating system. I think most people feel that way. We're fortunate to have some great choices we couldn't have imagined a couple of years ago.

C'mon Hilman. You clearly do have a hateon for iPhones.
    I have a Blackberry Pearl and still not figured out how to use most of the features. I can find my way around a computer ie: download, burn C.D's scan and the other basics but I do not know half of what my phone can do. I take pictures with it but do not know how to sent them to people. Maybe I should just sit down one day and read the manual. I'm happy with my phone but cannot utilize it to it's full potential.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I don't know anybody who HATES their iPhones, but I know several people who HATE their Android phones. Again, likely because they didn't buy one of the more expensive Android models.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^Very true. Some of the Android phones have been hampered by inadequate processors and older versions of Android that are less efficient. Android 3.0 specifies a minimum processor speed of 1GHz.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    I don't know anybody who HATES their iPhones, but I know several people who HATE their Android phones. Again, likely because they didn't buy one of the more expensive Android models.
    I hated my iPhone 3GS, and was actually kind of relieved when I lost it in a cab in Vegas.

"Woo, a valid reason to spend $400 going back to Blackberry!"

My primary problem with the iPhone was the touchscreen though, and that's not a complaint that's specific to the iPhone. I realized pretty quickly I need a keyboard. The battery life on the other hand, what a joke. And iTunes is one of the worst pieces of software ever devised.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    ...And iTunes is one of the worst pieces of software ever devised.
    No, it's not. You've said that before, Marcel. You may not like it for your own valid reasons. Like the iPhone, it doesn't suit you, or work for you, which is fair enough.

But it's very good software. Steve Jobs said it was the best software Apple had ever devised. And it's one of the most popular on the planet. It's brought in Billions of $, and continues to do so.

It's not perfect. But I can't think of an alternative that comes even close to doing what iTunes does.

And instead of comparing operating systems, wouldn't comparing phones be a more valid and fair comparison?

Believe me, Marcel, I'm 100% with you regarding typing onscreen. I hate it. My niece can fly on the thing, texting away. I'm constantly hitting the wrong letter, going back, messing up, etc. But I have nearly as much of a problem with tiny keyboards.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-04-2011 at 09:47 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

And instead of comparing operating systems, wouldn't comparing phones be a more valid and fair comparison?
    First of all, iTunes isn't an operating system. Second of all, if you use an iPhone, you have no choice but to use iTunes to put media on the phone. With Android or Blackberry phones, you are free to use whatever you like, including good old Windows Explorer so you can arrange your media exactly as you'd like to.

I was clearly using hyperbole when I referred to iTunes. But as I laid out before, I've had numerous problems with iTunes and the problems are widespread amongst many, many users. Just google "itunes outlook crash" to see how an update to iTunes borked many people's Outlook installations. Amusingly enough, several iTunes updates have repeated this.

The concept is great, I suppose. The execution is atrocious. And being locked in to it for no practical reason other than Apple's bottomline is unacceptable. Microsoft nearly got split up for such behavior, but it's glorious when Apple does it. And yes, their market share for digital music sales is easily in the same range that got Microsoft in to trouble in the OS space.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 11-04-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Steve Jobs said it was the best software Apple had ever devised.
    It's gone through a lot since it's inception, but Apple didn't create iTunes, it bought the product and tweaked it a lot (it used to be known as SoundJame). I wasn't much of a fan of iTunes when it first came out, but I've grown to like it a lot. It's not perfect, but I find it a great program to manage my music on the computer, and everything on my iPhone/iPad. Of course I may have a different opinion if it borked something on my computer like Marcel has experienced (never used Outlook, so I don't have that issue).

Bought my first Smartphone today - Koodo Nexus S, for $307 with no contract.

So far I'm loving it... but I'm still using it as a dumb phone. I'm sure that by the time I figure it out there'll be a new generation of this phone by then.

^Nice phone, you have the advantage of getting Android software updates before everyone else.

How did you manage to get it without a contract for that price?
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Sweet phone, if you want a list of great apps let me know and I can PM you their Android Market links.

The Nexus is a good choice. It is an un-adulterated Android phone.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Interesting stats from Google's quarterly earnings, over 350,000 Android smartphones are activated per day with over 8 million apps downloaded per day. In comparison, Apple's numbers for 2010 were 47 million iPhones, or 129,000/day.

While announcing its First Quarter 2011 Results, Google has unveiled that the number of daily Android activations has now reached 350,000.

That’s a 14% growth compared to the number of Android devices activated daily back in December 2010 (about 300,000).

350,000 daily activations means about 10.5 million new Android devices each month. And, if we look at things from a whole year’s perspective, it means 126 million Android devices activated per year.

So Android is, unsurprisingly, still growing, although the growth is not as fast as last year. You can check out Android’s growth from 2008 to December 2010 in this post.

Google also said that there are more than 3 billion Android apps installed on smartphones around the world.
    http://www.unwiredview.com/2011/04/1...und-the-world/
    Last edited by Hilman; 14-04-2011 at 07:07 PM.

First One is Always Free

I had the Iphone 3G and was looking to upgrade to the 4g....and I got suckered into an Android phone (Xperia X10) and I hated it!! It constantly was bugging out, not working or just plain dying. Rogers kept sending me replacement after replacement and each one sucked. Eventually they got tired of sending me phones and when I requested that I get a Iphone 3gs they sent me one. I've had no problems when any of my Apple products...I love my Iphone! While I did like the customization options on my Android phone...I like that my Iphone actually works

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    How did you manage to get it without a contract for that price?
    It's $425 from Koodo, I had a $118 tab.

Default Where have you been? Your iPhone and iPad know

Your iPhone 4 or your iPad 3G are recording all of your movements and storing the information in easy-to-access files, two British scientists revealed on Wednesday.
    http://www.thestar.com/business/comp...ipad-know?bn=1

I downloaded their apps and ran it on my phone, but it doesn't actually store GPS locations. It's storing cell tower information, so it's far less accurate than if it stores GPS locations. I'm not worried about it personally, as I have my backups encrypted on my computer, and I can wipe my phone using MobileMe if it can't be recovered.

Gord.... did you download app called " untrackered " ??
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Guess it should be called the Apple spiPhone lol.

Samsung and Apple have sued each other but Samsung got a good case against Apple.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/04/22/sa...on-10-patents/

Apple got a failing grade from Greenspace !!

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/22/apple-...om-greenpeace/

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    No, the program that allows you to view the data stored is called "iPhoneTracker." That's the only one I've downloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    No, the program that allows you to view the data stored is called "iPhoneTracker." That's the only one I've downloaded.

what I am saying is that iphone can track your whereabouts, if you wanted it stopped, download apps "untrackered"

Its not just iPhones, but Android devices and you computer too. How do you think they send you customized ads saying to buy Viagra (or whatever) in Edmonton. A cell phone location by design will be possible to pinpoint to some degree of accuracy by cell phone tower triangulation. Each tower's co-ordinates are used in combination with signal strength to figure where you are. GPS gives a more precise location however.

You can't choose (easily) which tower your cell phone connects to, so as such your location is known by the phone companies, the question is what do they do with that information?

grish

evidently, apple tracks your general location and identifies the nearest towers while google is much more precise in keeping tabs on your actual (almost GPS-like) location. But, yeah, it seems all of these guys do some sort of tracking.

Google has just been found to be tracking and cataloguing home wifi base stations via Android.

Droid does!
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Yes, well it turns out Gates has been that warm'n'fuzzy humanistic geek all along, while Jobs and Page have been competing for vileness.

By why should you worry about privacy when uPad, uPod, uPhone, and uGoogle.

Quote Originally Posted by alex69 View Post
    Yes, well it turns out Gates has been that warm'n'fuzzy humanistic geek all along, while Jobs and Page have been competing for vileness.
    Saying that of Gates would suggest a lack of historical understanding—not typical of your missives. He did as much evil as he possibly could while he was in the game and with technology at hand.

Android phones keep location cache, too, but it's harder to access

In Guantanamo (Banned)

^I rather get the sense at some point Gates got tired of being the Gates you're talking about, retired, and became the humanistic charity-geek I'm talking about.

Jobs and Page continue being evil.

The reason for the evil is in those articles. It's not empire-building. But Android tracks you, and so does iOS (is that what it's called?) -- the latter one so well that police agencies have used it.

The Windows security saga is pretty well known, but there really hasn't been anything quite so totalitarian-tracking.

^I rather get the sense at some point Gates got tired of being the Gates you're talking about, retired, and became the humanistic charity-geek I'm talking about.
    And Gates being the Gates I talked about was how Gates got to the the charity geek you're talking about. Your argument is an easier sell to those who don't remember the era firsthand.

Jobs and Page continue being evil.

The reason for the evil is in those articles. It's not empire-building. But Android tracks you, and so does iOS (is that what it's called?) -- the latter one so well that police agencies have used it.
    Yes, but the US Army just decided to go with Android.

The Windows security saga is pretty well known, but there really hasn't been anything quite so totalitarian-tracking.
    Is that because that deep down, Microsoft truly respected the individual that much more, or was it because the tools at hand at the time weren't up for the task—and by tools, I mean the software products Microsoft was pinching off prior to XP?

I guess when Nokia starts to move enough Windows Phone Seven handsets, people will care enough to check if Microsoft is doing this too...

iphone still tracks-users-when-locations-services-are-disabled, test finds.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/25/iphone...ed-test-finds/

It was only a matter of time. Apple, Inc. has been named as a defendant in a federal district court suit over the iPhone and iPad 3G location tracking scandal.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/25/apple-...cking-scandal/

Well, if this isn't an argument for going with an iPhone, I don't know what is

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/do...y-by-accident/

oh, also—iPhone users have more sex.

File this under "icebreakers, MacWorld '11". Finally, statistical proof that iPhone users aren't just getting f**ked by Apple:

The chart pretty much speaks for itself; I'll just say that the numbers for all three brands are for 30 year-olds, so it's not a matter of older, more experienced people preferring one phone to another. We found this data as part of our general camera-efficacy analysis: we crossed all kinds of user behaviors with the camera models and found we had data on the number of sexual partners for 9,785 people with smart phones. We dropped what we found into Excel, and voila. Here's the plot by age:

Just so you know, the names and the actual photos are removed when we do this kind of research; we just see the stats in aggregate. Everything is anonymized. Now let's leave brands and gadgets aside and look at how purely photographic phenomena can affect your precious face.
    (I'm posting this as a joke - laugh)

^I already mentioned it somewhere Gord, I think their is truth to it, Androids are geek phones, and geeks have less sex. Blackberries are corporate phones (although they are doing ok in some young demographics), and many corporate people are trapped in marriages where there isn't much sex either

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I guess I buck the trend with my Android phone lol, pretty silly but funny link none the less.

iphone still tracks-users-when-locations-services-are-disabled, test finds.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/25/iphone...ed-test-finds/
    Do you use a smartphone?

Attractiveness seemed like it was reasonably measured, with a blind poll. The sexuality though? It may be geeks lie less about sex then others? That measurement is obviously not a provable statistic.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

I love my simple sony-ericsson f100i mobile. I guess the fact it runs native JavaOS is a plus.

Apple comments on iPhone location storm, software update soon

In short Apple says they were not tracking people, they were maintaining a log of cell towers and wifi access points you had been near to speed up GPS acquisition. All Assisted GPS devices do this however they don't need to maintain years worth of data and Apple will correct that:

Sometime in the next few weeks Apple will release a free iOS software update that:

• reduces the size of the crowd-sourced Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower database cached on the iPhone,
    • ceases backing up this cache, and
    • deletes this cache entirely when Location Services is turned off.
    • In the next major iOS software release the cache will also be encrypted on the iPhone.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

So they aren't tracking people yet are releasing an update to fix things, okay Mr. Jobs, what ever you say.

So they aren't tracking people yet are releasing an update to fix things, okay Mr. Jobs, what ever you say.
    Depends on what you mean by tracking. If you mean your phone is transmitting your location to Apple at all times and they're maintaining a database of the information, then they're not tracking people.

iPhones (and all other aGPS devices) do track your location when the GPS is active. For aGPS to work it needs looks at the cell towers and wifi access points it can see. It then checks it's cache to see if it knows where those are. If it doesn't then it queries an online database and caches the results.

The issue with iOS is that it's not purging the cache of old data and it's not properly securing the cache. Apple is fixing those problems. That those problems exist does not mean that Apple was maintaining some master database of where everybody is and was.

Android maintains a similar cache as will any aGPS device.

^I thought there were some comments though that the police had used the data. I guess all calls are tracked centrally though anyway (who connected with who, both for billings, and police). I used to have a friend who worked in an IT department for a Telecom company who could tell me if somebody had called someone (had to do quickly though, as then went into backup). I never did ask him, but he used it to stalk an ex-girlfirend who was bugging him. He used to win all the radio prizes as well until they started banning him (as his phone connection was faster at work for the dial in's).
    Last edited by moahunter; 27-04-2011 at 11:08 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Depends on what you mean by tracking. If you mean your phone is transmitting your location to Apple at all times and they're maintaining a database of the information, then they're not tracking people.

iPhones (and all other aGPS devices) do track your location when the GPS is active. For aGPS to work it needs looks at the cell towers and wifi access points it can see. It then checks it's cache to see if it knows where those are. If it doesn't then it queries an online database and caches the results.

The issue with iOS is that it's not purging the cache of old data and it's not properly securing the cache. Apple is fixing those problems. That those problems exist does not mean that Apple was maintaining some master database of where everybody is and was.

Android maintains a similar cache as will any aGPS device.
    Androids do it much differently, it is a code that is given to your phone and knows nothing about the user (and changes when the phone is reset). This can be turned off and asks the user if you want to give it permission to transmit this when you setup the phone. This data is also encrypted and continuously overwritten as well as never being stored on a computer. Pretty much the opposite of Apple but I am glad they are fixing it as I could see it being used by jealous spouses, parents, etc with horrible consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^I thought there were some comments though that the police had used the data. I guess all calls are tracked centrally though anyway (who connected with who, both for billings, and police). I used to have a friend who worked in an IT department for a Telecom company who could tell me if somebody had called someone (had to do quickly though, as then went into backup). I never did ask him, but he used it to stalk an ex-girlfirend who was bugging him. He used to win all the radio prizes as well until they started banning him (as his phone connection was faster at work for the dial in's).
    There were unconfirmed reports of Michigan State Police taking data from cell phones on routine traffic stops and in the U.S. location data doesn't require a search warrant to access. Thus why Apple needs to tighten up the security and data retention on iOS. Note, though, that the police need physical access to the phone (or phone backup) to get this data. They aren't getting it from Apple.

And yes the phone company does have logs of all this stuff.

Androids do it much differently, it is a code that is given to your phone and knows nothing about the user (and changes when the phone is reset). This can be turned off and asks the user if you want to give it permission to transmit this when you setup the phone. This data is also encrypted and continuously overwritten as well as never being stored on a computer. Pretty much the opposite of Apple but I am glad they are fixing it as I could see it being used by jealous spouses, parents, etc with horrible consequences.
    The first part is pretty much identical to how iOS transmits location data, it's anonymized and encrypted. Apple also implements per app control of location data. In Settings there's a list of all the apps that have access and the ability to turn them off individually. New apps have to ask permission to use location services.

Apple's mistakes are about how the phone handles the data locally not about how and when it's transmitted.

Microsoft's doing it too—but they're not storing the info locally, it gets transmitted back to Microsoft. Which is supposed to make you feel better.

There were unconfirmed reports of Michigan State Police taking data from cell phones on routine traffic stops and in the U.S. location data doesn't require a search warrant to access. Thus why Apple needs to tighten up the security and data retention on iOS. Note, though, that the police need physical access to the phone (or phone backup) to get this data. They aren't getting it from Apple.

I thought I read the Michigan Troopers didn't need access to the phone and whatever they were using could break whatever encryption was on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JBear View Post

I thought I read the Michigan Troopers didn't need access to the phone and whatever they were using could break whatever encryption was on it.
    They were/are using Cellebrite 'Universal Forensic Extraction Device's'. They cable connect to a phone and extract data from it.

Not sure about encryption but a lot would depend on how something was encrypted.

Iphone 6 will be out early next year ??

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/26/sharp-...port-suggests/

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Did they decide to go straight to 6 due to the ip5 being outdated before it even hits the market lol.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

^No. "Six" is geektalk for "sexy". (hou hou hou hou ho ho ho hou hou...)

RIM have some sort of a change from 6.1 to 7 for newer devices.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-6-1...-not-qnx-based

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Sounds like the only change is the name.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Interesting snapshot on the app selection on various platforms as of March 2011. I didn't know that BB had so few apps.

http://phandroid.com/2011/04/27/andr...ons-available/

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Looks like big sales of Android phones in the US, now at 50% of new smartphones and a 37% market share of all phones compared to Apples 25% and 27% respectively.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nielsen_andr...-news-2565.php

Research In Motion warns of weak BlackBerry sales

Ben Dummett and Roger Cheng From: The Wall Street Journal April 29, 2011

RESEARCH In Motion warned of slack sales for its BlackBerry smartphones in the current quarter, sending its shares plunging 11 per cent in after-hours trading.

The warning, just a month after the company reported earnings and gave a weak short-term outlook, is fresh evidence that RIM is struggling to compete with Apple and other smartphone makers, especially in the US market.

The revision comes after a lacklustre debut of the company's PlayBook tablet. The device went on sale earlier this month after delays and tepid reviews. But RIM said that early PlayBook sales were in line with its targets, which it didn't disclose.
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1226046739865

Nice concise article on how GPS, aGPS, and their smartphone implementations work.

How the iPhone knows where you are

Maybe this will convince these companies that the need to be very explicit about their data collection policies.

Maybe this will convince these companies that the need to be very explicit about their data collection policies.

Looks like Verizon's going to go the cigarette package route.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

The problem is that you pick up an iProduct, and you get the whole AppleCult rubbing off on your hands.

Their products may or may not be great (with the usual qualifications). No comment there. Their marketing and their mob are just unclean.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Too bad the title missed that it will also be on Android devices.

^no push email though.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

On both Apple and Android.

Certain features, including push technology and firewall access, are expected to remain exclusive to BlackBerry devices because such capabilities are built into the design of a device’s operating system. The product is expected to be released later this year.
    Interesting that this Apple Insider article states how many more iPhones were sold over BB's yet doesn't mention how Android is doubling Apple sales.
    Last edited by Hilman; 02-05-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Interesting that this Apple Insider article states how many more iPhones were sold over BB's yet doesn't mention how Android is doubling Apple sales.
    considering how many phone manufacturers have release dozens and dozens of android phones onto the market i would say doubling iOS sales is kind of a sad accomplishment. (i'm not for or against apple just pointing out the ridiculousness of your statement)
    be offended! figure out why later...

Certain features, including push technology and firewall access, are expected to remain exclusive to BlackBerry devices because such capabilities are built into the design of a device’s operating system. The product is expected to be released later this year.
    ...why should it? It's an Apple-oriented site and the article has been posted to a BlackBerry vs. iPhone thread. The article might as well have also mentioned Android's explosive malware growth!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Far from sad Richard, Android smartphones are selling at 350,000 handsets a day or 128 million per year, far more than Apple and RIM combined. Whilst Apple Has sold 18.6 million handsets this quarter and RIM with 13.5, Android manufacturers like HTC have sold 10 million and Samsung with 13 million. This will only grow as Android continues to surge with over 50% of new US handsets being Android and a US market share of 37% compared to Apples 25% and 27% respectively. Time to face the facts that people are actually buying Android, a lot more than people on here want to admit. High end Android manufacturers like HTC actually have more revenue and market capitalization than Nokia and RIM.

^ hey i dont disagree with you man, android is great. i just wish the market wasnt flooded with so many garbage android phones. its hard to pick the really awesome ones out of the pack for the average consumer. i know its an open system but google really needs to set some quality standards for it.

quality over quantity is what i want for android. not Samsung releasing 17 garbage handsets a month. (exaggerating a bit i know)
    be offended! figure out why later...

new blackberry bold touch 9900/9930 with OS 7 have faster browser performance than android or apple

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/05/02/bl...phone-android/

market share have grew 35 % for android OS worldwide

http://www.bgr.com/2011/05/04/canaly...-climbs-to-35/

Default Top 10 Awesome Android Features that the iPhone Doesn’t Have

check this out and see for yourself here :

http://lifehacker.com/5801862/top-10...ne-doesnt-have

Default 99% of Android phones leak secret account credentials

If you're running Android 2.3.3 or earlier, you want to know about this!

"With more than 99 percent of carriers offering their users Android versions with known security weaknesses, the report demonstrates how little success Google has had in getting its partners to upgrade to the latest versions. Many Verizon Wireless customers, for instance, remain stuck with Android 2.2.2, despite containing vulnerabilities that have been known about for months."

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Android figures from Google I/O: 400,000 Android devices activated every day

Relaxnews
    Thursday, 12 May 2011

In little more than two and a half years, Google's Android mobile operating system has grown from running on just one Google-designed device in the US to become the world’s leading smartphone platform.

During Google’s annual developer conference, Google I/O, Google's Android team shared some updates on the platform.

"Over the past two and a half years, we've shipped eight releases of Android and there are now more than 310 Android devices around the world, of all shapes and sizes," said Hugo Barra, product management director, Android.

Google now activates 400,000 new Android devices every day.

Apple hasn't announced its recent activation figures but back in September 2010 the company said it was activating around 230,000 iOS devices per day.

The Android Market now sports around 200,000 free and paid applications, said Google and users have installed 4.5 billion applications from the Android Market on their Android devices.

According to app store analyst Distimo, there are currently around 333,000 apps in Apple's iPhone App Store, 27,000 in RIM’s BlackBerry App World, and 2,000 in Microsoft’s Windows Marketplace for Mobile.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...y-2282395.html

grish

not sure what I am missing by not having an android. my iPh works really well. How much better could it be? Or is it just the cost?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Many things like running Flash sites and games, customization of the home screens with widgets (not just boring app icons), superior notification system (no annoying badges that pop up), true multi-tasking, huge selection of hardware (with/without keyboards, screen sizes up to 4.3", etc), SD card slots for memory expansion, a lot of pay apps on iTunes are free on Android (including free turn by turn Google navigation), no need for iTunes, side-loading apps, DLNA connectivity, removable batteries are a few things off the top of my head. The iOs is getting very stale and requires a lot of new features to catch up to Android imho, I can see numerous feeds of live data on one home screen with widgets instead of opening, refreshing and closing 7 apps like I would need to do on an iPhone, it was a great phone but hasn't really brought anything to the table lately, guess we will see what the next version brings but it doesn't sound mind blowing from what I have heard.
    Last edited by Hilman; 17-05-2011 at 02:39 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    If you're running Android 2.3.3 or earlier, you want to know about this!

"With more than 99 percent of carriers offering their users Android versions with known security weaknesses, the report demonstrates how little success Google has had in getting its partners to upgrade to the latest versions. Many Verizon Wireless customers, for instance, remain stuck with Android 2.2.2, despite containing vulnerabilities that have been known about for months."
    Looks like a fix will be complete in the next few days.

Google’s Plugging That Potential Android Personal Data Leakage Right Now
    Matt Buchanan

So Google's pushing a fix right now that'll patch up the vulnerability for every Android phone over the next few days. It'll fix the problem for Contacts and Calendars immediately, it won't require you or your carrier to do anything—it'll just like, happen, sometime in the next few days.
    http://gizmodo.com/5803112/googles-p...kage-right-now

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Apple’s iOS 4 hardware encryption has been cracked
    May. 25, 2011 (8:30 am) By: Matthew Humphries

Russian company ElcomSoft is claiming to have cracked the 256-bit hardware encryption Apple uses to protect the data on iOS 4 devices, and is offering software that allows anyone to do it.

ElcomSoft is well-known as a corporate security and IT audit company, working with law enforcement agencies, the military, and intelligence agencies to recover data and perform forensics on devices. Its latest work has managed to open up the data stored on any device running iOS 4 by circumventing the hardware encryption chip Apple uses.

Rather than relying on a hardware dump from such a device, which will be encrypted and may be missing some of the important data a forensic investigation needs, ElcomSoft can now gain full access to what is stored on a gadget such as the iPhone 4. This includes historical information such as geolocation data, browsing history, call history, text messages and emails, usernames, and passwords. They can even recover data deleted by the user from the device.
    http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/a...cked-20110525/

Default Paid Apps Tanking in Android Marketplace

Developers of paid apps for Google's Android Marketplace are having a much tougher time monetizing their apps than their counterparts developing for Apple's App Store, according to a new report from Distimo released this week.

Distimo got some flak from some quarters for its April report, in which highlighted the growing number of apps in the Android Marketplace but didn't touch on how well Android developers were able to monetize paid apps.

The May report addresses that question and the answer would appear to be, "Not very well."
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2386064,00.asp

grish

the target is the people who have always refused to pay apple's high prices. people purchasing android and other platforms typically say "just as good as apple at a fraction of the price"... so, if you target the frugal market, cashing in on that marked is therefore more difficult. sounds like a straight forward thing to me...

In Guantanamo (Banned)

There was the interesting bit of news last week that the neurological response in technophiles to their favorite toys is the same as that of religious people during prayer and church services.

Fantastic.

We always called it the Apple Cult, but it turns out that's the objective and literal scientific truth.

new Samsung galaxy S 11 cellphone which released earlier this year is now a top selling in UK beating out iphone 4.

http://www.t3.com/news/samsung-galax...-charts?=56853

1 million of samsung galaxy S 11 have been sold in South Korea in 40 days beating out original galaxy s phone.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/05/30/samsun...ii-units-sold/

I am waiting for the Galaxy S2 to come to Canada. I think the date is July/August.

AT&T's Ralph de la Vega on phone trends
    http://allthingsd.com/20110604/exclu...s-are-winning/

there is a rumor that Samsung may buy nokia's phone business and if they do, that will put Samsung to be number 1 cellphone in the market over 50%. this will blow apple out pretty good.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/06/08/sa...hone-business/

Heard rumors that Microsoft was thinking about buying Nokia.

Quote Originally Posted by JBear View Post
    Heard rumors that Microsoft was thinking about buying Nokia.
    That's the one I heard too; it's got to be the most plausible seeing as a relationship has already been established. Moreover, there is rumor of Microsoft developing their own Windows 8 tablet next year—validating Apple's strategy once again—in order to get it 'right'. The Zune HD was apparenty a good unit, and Nokia would bring significant manufacturing experience to the table.

grish

probably a coincidence or maybe a jinx, but ever since microsoft bought skype, they have had problems after problems with service disrupted.

nokia was such a solid telephone maker. too bad their software didn't keep up with smartphone field. but being bought by microsoft seems to take quality down a notch.

ps I must say, however, what I saw of Windows 8 makes me think microsoft might finally be turning around.

Lots of rumours on the internet that maybe QNX will arrive on Berry's sooner than expected:

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/8...artphones.html

This operating system is beaut on my playbook (very fast, and no buttons all swipes), it would be brilliant on a new multi-core touchscreen, perhaps the next Storm?
    Last edited by moahunter; 10-06-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast