Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839
Results 3,801 to 3,899 of 3899

Thread: The All Inclusive Smart Phone War

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Yes, that is the only use for this product

An update on what Microsoft is working on that's quite interesting. It's called C-Shell and is basically a new Windows shell that will automatically render Windows according to the device, which means the same operating system will run on desktop, tablet, mobile, xbox and hololens. Here's a video of how it will look on mobile (pre-release obviously).

I'd rather C2E than work!

Very sleek design Google Pixel 2 is something I like a lot

http://bgr.com/2017/06/12/google-pixel-2-release-date-nearing-design-imagined/
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That is what I am holding out for, a close second is the Essential Phone. The Pixel 2 can't come soon enough, time for my Nexus 6 to get retired to the kids.

Very cool documentary on the creation of the first IPHONE - well worth a look:

http://www.wsj.com/video/how-the-iph...ng_now_video_1

The designers started with an IPOD, and were worried about phones taking the place of it. But they couldn't get the keyboard to work without turning it into a rotary phone. The idea of miniaturizing the tablet came up, then the focus turned to "how do we get the keyboard to work"? All the attempts at a keyboard were a failure until they put everyone on the task and trialed various different versions. The one that works, actually anticipates your key touches, it increases the hit zone for the key you might hit next (if you hit T first, then the H zone invisibly grows bigger). Fascinating stuff.

Cool.

The predictive, multitouch keyboard changed everything in terms of interaction & UI design.

While Apple was working on that, Android phones looked like this:

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Sharp is reportedly launching two new devices in July that appear to be completely bezel-less.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/06/30/sh...ampaign=buffer

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Pretty sweet displays!

Wow. Love it.

Default Touch ID gone from next Iphone?

Interesting - there have been rumors of problems for a while, with the elimination of the home button / all glass front as proposed. Not wanting the inelegant solution of sticking the sensor on the back, basically taking the Samsung idea, but trying to make it work properly:

But Gurman’s report says that Apple’s going to simply replace the fingerprint sensor with face and eye scanning technology that’s a lot more advanced and more secure than anyone else’s — cough, Samsung, cough. Samsung was first to implement iris-based phone unlocking, but the technology can supposedly be hacked quite easily.

Apple’s iris sensor will also incorporate a depth sensor that will prevent hackers from using photos to fool it. Furthermore, the sensor can supposedly scan a user’s iris and face “within a few hundred milliseconds,” and works even if the device is laying flat on a table.
    http://bgr.com/2017/07/04/iphone-8-r...uch-id-sensor/

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Personally I've come to like the fingerprint sensor on the back of the S8. At first I didn't, but now that I'm used to it, it's really grown on me. Pretty concerning that the iris scanning is so easily hacked, though.

^which is supposedly overcome by the depth sensor on the Apple - I guess will see if true or not. A big criticism of the fingerprint scanner on back is people keep touching / smudging the camera lens. I actually don't like the touch ID on my apple even on the front button - I find its finicky / annoying.

If they can get this thing to work, I guess its inevitable that the future will be like those science fiction movies where you can just enter a building by an iris scan.
    Last edited by moahunter; 04-07-2017 at 02:41 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I barely use my camera, so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me. Also, my phone case acts as a good guide for where my finger needs to go (https://www.spigen.com/products/gala...nt=30614663425). I set it up with my two index fingers, instead of my thumbs as I had on my S6. So when I reach in to my pocket to grab my phone, by the time I've got it facing me my index finger has already unlocked the phone.

That being said, after having never cracked or significant damaged a cell phone ever, I got a screen crack on the S8 within a week. Mainly because of the rounded edges resulting in the Neo-Hybrid case not having raised sides that would protect the screen when the phone is dropped. My S6 had the same case, and it was dropped face down numerous times with no problem. First time it happened with the S8, screen crack.

Samsung was first to implement iris-based phone unlocking, but the technology can supposedly be hacked quite easily.

Actually Microsoft was the first to do it using "Windows hello" on the Lumia 950 XL, which happens to be the phone I've been using for the last two years. The same technology is used in the desktop version of windows 10.

No, the first smartphone with an iris scanner was a Fujitsu running Android.

http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/734f3403

Your Lumia was introduced about half a year later.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Ah. Well, in any case it wasn't Samsung, but I guess we're long past the days where we could expect reporters to fact check what they write. Which is especially annoying since it's never been easier to fact check.

Wow! Nearing 4,000 posts on this thread! I'm not sure what that says about us.

Anyway, fascinating news item below, especially I guess if you worry about your phone battery dying. (I'm usually better off when my device dies.)

"University of Washington researchers have invented a cellphone that requires no batteries -- a major leap forward in moving beyond chargers, cords and dying phones. "

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0705164453.htm

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Microsoft is cutting 3,000 jobs as part of a major reorganization

by Mehedi Hassan
    @mehedih_

Jul 6, 2017 at 16:10 GMT

Microsoft announced a major sales reorganization earlier this week. The company is reorganizing its sales team at its HQ in Redmond, and the changes are also affecting local teams throughout the world. As rumored, Microsoft is cutting a total of up to 3,000 jobs today as part of its major sales reorganization — which is 10% of its entire sales force. Microsoft currently has 121 thousand employees worldwide, 71 thousand of which are in the United States.
    The latest round of layoffs is actually affecting teams outside of United States. 75% of the 3,000 employees that are being laid off are outside of the United States. The reorganization sharpens the sales team’s focus on the cloud with a new Enterprise Operating Unit.

“Microsoft is implementing changes to better serve our customers and partners,” a Microsoft spokesperson told CNBC in a statement. “Today, we are taking steps to notify some employees that their jobs are under consideration or that their positions will be eliminated. Like all companies, we evaluate our business on a regular basis. This can result in increased investment in some places and, from time-to-time, re-deployment in others.
    https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-cu...eorganization/

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    No, the first smartphone with an iris scanner was a Fujitsu running Android.

http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/734f3403

Your Lumia was introduced about half a year later.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Ah. Well, in any case it wasn't Samsung, but I guess we're long past the days where we could expect reporters to fact check what they write. Which is especially annoying since it's never been easier to fact check.
    Yeah, were probably at the stage where such discussions belong in the ancient computer technology thread or whatever it is called.

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    Sharp is reportedly launching two new devices in July that appear to be completely bezel-less.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/06/30/sh...ampaign=buffer

So if you drop it will the screen break more easily?

Or will people then stuff them in a case to re-bezel them?

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Interesting - there have been rumors of problems for a while, with the elimination of the home button / all glass front as proposed. Not wanting the inelegant solution of sticking the sensor on the back, basically taking the Samsung idea, but trying to make it work properly:

But Gurman’s report says that Apple’s going to simply replace the fingerprint sensor with face and eye scanning technology that’s a lot more advanced and more secure than anyone else’s — cough, Samsung, cough. Samsung was first to implement iris-based phone unlocking, but the technology can supposedly be hacked quite easily.

Apple’s iris sensor will also incorporate a depth sensor that will prevent hackers from using photos to fool it. Furthermore, the sensor can supposedly scan a user’s iris and face “within a few hundred milliseconds,” and works even if the device is laying flat on a table.
    http://bgr.com/2017/07/04/iphone-8-r...uch-id-sensor/
    So BIGBROTHER databanks now have everyone's digitized fingerprints, now add face and iris and they'll just need you DNA to complete the profiling.

No.

Apple's Secure Enclave is the only place your biometrics are stored, there's no cloud backup. Can't speak to what Samsung or other Android manufacturers do, but Apple has no ability to access, monitor or otherwise get their hands on my biometric data.

No.

Apple's Secure Enclave is the only place your biometrics are stored, there's no cloud backup. Can't speak to what Samsung or other Android manufacturers do, but Apple has no ability to access, monitor or otherwise get their hands on my biometric data.
    Maybe not Apple. ...and if the data could somehow be accessed or even officially shared, domestic owners (Americans in the case of Apple and the NSA) wouldn't likely be part of the collection.

No, Apple hasn't said it will share an iPhone 5s 'fingerprint database' with the NSA | Technology | The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...gerprint-apple
    Last edited by KC; 06-07-2017 at 05:39 PM.

No.

Hopefully their "Secure Enclave" will not get hacked like a number of other supposedly "secure" corporate sites have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Hopefully their "Secure Enclave" will not get hacked like a number of other supposedly "secure" corporate sites have been.
    The Secure Enclave is an isolated area in their chipsets, not a corporate site/server/room. You'd need physical access to the phone, plus a whole host of equipment, skills & so forth to even attempt to get into it.

Secure Enclave

The chip in your device includes an advanced security architecture called the Secure Enclave, which was developed to protect your passcode and fingerprint data. Touch ID doesn't store any images of your fingerprint, and instead relies only on a mathematical representation. It isn't possible for someone to reverse engineer your actual fingerprint image from this stored data.
    Your fingerprint data is encrypted, stored on disk, and protected with a key available only to the Secure Enclave. Your fingerprint data is used only by the Secure Enclave to verify that your fingerprint matches the enrolled fingerprint data. It can’t be accessed by the OS on your device or by any applications running on it. It's never stored on Apple servers, it's never backed up to iCloud or anywhere else, and it can't be used to match against other fingerprint databases.

Google Pixel XL 2 could become the first phone to have Snapdragon 836 because Samsung G8 and others have Snapdragon 835.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/201...e-pixel-2.html

Default Former Google Executive - Iphone way ahead of Android

It surprising people even debate it, the only thing Android phones have going for them over Apple, especially once the 8 is released, is price.

When one of his followers negated his claim saying that Samsung’s Galaxy S8 does a better job than the iPhone 7, he replied to the person stating the reason behind his claim. Vic stated that Android is an open source OS wants to generalise performance on all kinds of Android devices. Unlike Apple, who can work on the hardware for new features and improve it over the time through software updates, Google has to keep millions of different phone models in mind and therefore has to work extensively on the software front for utilising a new hardware feature. Therefore, if Samsung has improved the camera on their latest phone, they have to convince Google to roll out an API to let other applications take the benefits of the upgrade. This process could take years.

This is the reason innovative Android OEMs have to work on their own version of apps to take the benefits of the hardware. As for Apple, they have both the hardware and software to themselves, which is why their phones are simplified and work better. Vic does say that Google as once way ahead with advanced image processing features. But, in the current times, he believes that one should go for Apple’s iPhone to stay ahead of others in the world of technology.
    http://www.deccanchronicle.com/techn...executive.html

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I beg to differ, phones like the Pixel and S8 are on par (or better) than the iPhone.

I suggest reading this:

The iPhone has no monopoly on computational photography, and Android cameras are not inherently weaker. The latest arguments to the contrary, from the man who once led Google's mobile efforts, are weird and wrong.

Former Google SVP and current AliveCor CEO Vic Gundotra has thoughts on smartphone cameras. The man who was once in charge of Android, and everything else mobile at Google, gifted tech reporters with many a choice quote this weekend.

The iPhone is the only option for taking great photos on a phone. Android is for people who don't mind being a few years behind. Apple's lead in computational photography is what sets it apart. Android by its nature impedes innovation in mobile photography.

Cue headlines.

Gundotra isn't wrong in saying that the iPhone 7 Plus takes great photos. The original photos he posted to Facebook, of two smiling kids in a dark restaurant, captured through the iPhone's portrait mode, are impressive.

Gundotra also talks about computational photography, a major trend in phone cameras right now, and says that — get ready for the juiciest quote of the bunch — he would "NEVER buy an Android phone again" if he cares about photography. Based on his posting history, Vic seems to care quite a lot about photography. So it follows that he's not planning to buy another Android phone ever again. Considering who he is and the positions at Google he once held, that's pretty newsworthy, however flimsy the arguments supporting it might be.

But first, some backstory.

Vic Gundotra vs. Vic Gundotra

People change jobs all the time. The fast pace of change in the tech world means that allegiances can also change rapidly. Nevertheless, the total 180-degree turn that Vic Gundotra has executed on Android photography is worth some examination.

The total 180-degree turn that Vic Gundotra has executed on Android photography is worth noting.
    Gundotra worked closely with Steve Jobs on Google apps for the original iPhone before publicly torpedoing Apple (and its CEO) at Google I/O 2010. Here's Vic on open versus closed at the time, in his role as SVP overseeing mobile.

"If Google did not act [with Android], we faced a draconian future — a future where one man, one company, one device, one carrier would be our only choice. That's a future we don't want."
    From 2011 to 2013, Gundotra led Google's social efforts. Here he is again in 2013 talking up the prospects for future Nexus cameras on Google+.

"We are committed to making Nexus phones insanely great cameras. Just you wait and see."
    Four years later, he's firmly back in the iPhone camp.

"I would NEVER buy an Android phone again if I cared about photography."

"If you truly care about great photography, you own an iPhone. If you don't mind being a few years behind, buy an Android."
    Life, it seems, comes at you fast.
    https://www.androidcentral.com/vic-g...&utm_source=ac
    Last edited by Hilman; 01-08-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Good post Hilman.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

I would never use an Android phone for photos! Here is the problem: It's Android. Android is an open source (mostly) operating system that has to be neutral to all parties. This sounds good until you get into the details. Ever wonder why a Samsung phone has a confused and bewildering array of photo options? Should I use the Samsung Camera? Or the Android Camera? Samsung gallery or Google Photos? It's because when Samsung innovates with the underlying hardware (like a better camera) they have to convince Google to allow that innovation to be surfaced to other applications via the appropriate API. That can take YEARS. Also the greatest innovation isn't even happening at the hardware level -- it's happening at the computational photography level. (Google was crushing this 5 years ago -- they had had 'auto awesome' that used AI techniques to automatically remove wrinkles, whiten teeth, add vignetting, etc... but recently Google has fallen back). Apple doesn't have all these constraints. They innovate in the underlying hardware, and just simply update the software with their latest innovations (like portrait mode) and ship it.
    Taken from Vic's Facebook post, to provide some context. It's more about Apple's ability to implement changes rapidly thanks to their control over the whole stack, hardware & software, than anything else. I'm intrigued to see what Apple's got up their sleeve for the new model (and what can be implemented on the older, already-released phones too).

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I think we can all agree that the top flagships all take very good pictures. Google "Pixel versus iPhone camera" and more often than not, the Pixel is crowned the winner. Arguing that the Pixel et al have poor camera's shows that you are either ignorant or a fanboy of Apple (which Vic seems to be both of).

https://www.theverge.com/tech/2017/4...le-pixel-lg-g6

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-pix...era-is-better/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/photog...7-plus-camera/

https://petapixel.com/2017/02/14/goo...hone-shootout/

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Best...LG-V20_id90170
    Last edited by Hilman; 01-08-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Samsung Note 8 availability and prices in Canada

Telus: $550 down on a two-year plan starting at $95 per month, or $750 down on a two-year plan starting at $85 per month. Check out further details here.
    Bell: $549.99 on two-year Premium Plus plans, $749.99 on two-year Premium plans, $949.99 on Smartphone plans and $1199.99 on Basic plans. $1349.99 outright. Check out further details here.
    BellMTS: $549.99 down on select two-year plans, outright price of $1,349.99. Check out further details here.
    Rogers: $549.00 down on a two-year Premium+ Tab plan, $749 on two Premium Tab plans, $899 on Smart Tab plans and $1,299.00 on Talk & Text plans or outright. Check out further details here.
    Eastlink: $0 down on a two-year easyTab plan (monthly payments of $48 for 24 months), or $1,272 outright. Check out further details here.
    SaskTel: $549.99 down on a two-year +$10/mo. with Plus Pricing. $749.99 on regular two-year plan sans Plus Pricing. $1,299.99 outright. Check out further details here.
    Videotron: $449.95 down with a monthly payment plan of $89.95 for 24 months. Check out further details here.
    Freedom Mobile: $460 down on a $35 per month MyTab Boost, $1,300 outright. Customers can pre-order the Note 8 for a $100 deposit (outright price is $1,300). Customers who place a pre-order will be able to pick up their new Note8 between September 15th and October 1st. Check out further details here.

Read more at MobileSyrup.com: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Canadian pricing and availability

Google will officially show the world its second generation Pixel devices on October 5th,

Read more at MobileSyrup.com: Google will reportedly announce the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL on October 5

http://nypost.com/2017/08/28/nypd-ne...s-smartphones/
    The NYPD has to scrap the 36,000 smartphones it gave cops over the past two years because they’re already obsolete and can’t be upgraded, The Post has learned.
    The city bought Microsoft-based Nokia smartphones as part of a $160 million NYPD Mobility Initiative that Mayor Bill de Blasio touted as “a huge step into the 21st century.”
    But just months after the last phone was handed out, officials plan to begin replacing them all with brand-new iPhones by the end of the year, sources said.
    *sad trombone*

List of Countries for people to buy iPhone 7 in US dollars.
    Turkey have the most expensive and USA is the cheapest and Canada is
    placed at 5 th for the cheapest.

Base on 2 yrs contract for Canadian wireless carriers

Apple iPhone 8 64GB: $229.99
    Apple iPhone 8 256GB: $429.99

Apple iPhone 8 Plus 64GB: $359.99
    Apple iPhone 8 Plus 256GB: $559.99

No term with unlocked iphones

64GB iPhone 8 = $929,
    256GB iPhone 8 = $1,139.

64GB iPhone 8 Plus $1059,
    256GB IPhone 8 Plus $1,269.

I
    phone X no term is

64GB = $1,319
    256GB = $1,529

but for 2 yrs contract for iphone X is not known yet.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/09/13/i...ampaign=buffer

C2E Hard Core Contributor

http://nypost.com/2017/08/28/nypd-ne...s-smartphones/
    The NYPD has to scrap the 36,000 smartphones it gave cops over the past two years because they’re already obsolete and can’t be upgraded, The Post has learned.
    The city bought Microsoft-based Nokia smartphones as part of a $160 million NYPD Mobility Initiative that Mayor Bill de Blasio touted as “a huge step into the 21st century.”
    But just months after the last phone was handed out, officials plan to begin replacing them all with brand-new iPhones by the end of the year, sources said.
    *sad trombone*
    Typical sensationalist (and misleading) reporting. First, Microsoft discontinuing support to an older OS does not turn the Windows phones into useless bricks as the article implies. If the concern is that the phones will no longer be receiving regular security updates, the Nokia phones should be able to be upgraded to the newer Windows 10 Mobile OS so long as the phones remain in use: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...mobile-upgrade

Since many large organizations replace their phones on average about every two years I fail to see what the big scandal is here. Many of the two year old Nokia Lumia phones were likely due to be replaced anyways. And most organizations are choosing to go with either Android OS or Iphone OS when ordering new phones.

There's no scandal, it's just hilarious to me that anyone, at any time in the last decade would believe anything Microsoft has to say about mobile devices or mobile computing. They've failed at every opportunity. Hence the sad trombone.

Default Ad industry “deeply concerned” about Safari’s new ad-tracking restrictions

There are some advantages to choosing a phone operating system that wasn't designed by a company that makes its money from advertising (i.e. IOS not Android) - seems the advertisers are freaking out about the next version of IOS:

Apple's latest operating systems for the Mac and iPhone will soon be rolling out, and with that comes new restrictions on ad-tracking in the Safari browser.

Adding a 24-hour limit on ad targeting cookies is good for privacy under Apple's new "Intelligent Tracking Prevention" feature. But if you're an advertiser, the macOS High Sierra and iOS 11 Safari browsers spell gloom and doom for the Internet as we know it. The reason is because Safari is making it harder for advertisers to follow users as they surf the Internet—and that will dramatically reduce the normal bombardment of ads reflecting the sites Internet surfers have visited earlier.

Six major advertising groups have just published an open letter blasting the new tracking restrictions Apple unveiled in June. They say they are "deeply concerned" about them:...
    https://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-polic...-restrictions/

Last edited by moahunter; 17-09-2017 at 08:19 AM.

I don't see how this is good for the consumer. I'd rather see ads that i care about than skin care and corn flakes.

Google is offering Pixel XL as replacement for all eligible Nexus 6P owners

http://www.androidauthority.com/google-offering-pixel-xl-eligible-nexus-6p-owners-800351/

I don't see how this is good for the consumer. I'd rather see ads that i care about than skin care and corn flakes.
    I'd rather not see ads at all, which is why I run an ad-blocker on top of the tightest privacy settings Apple can offer me.

https://www.dxomark.com/apple-iphone...a-ever-tested/

The Apple iPhone 8 Plus is the best-performing mobile device camera we have ever tested. Its overall DxOMark Mobile score of 94 sets a new record, beating out the 90 points for both the Google Pixel and the HTC U11, as well as the 92 that its sibling iPhone 8 just scored. Its Photo score of 96 is also a new record, blowing past the Pixel’s 90. For Video, its score of 89 is among our highest, but tied with the HTC U11 and slightly below the Pixel’s 91. Of course, the Pixel is nearly a year old now, so it makes sense that Apple’s new flagship is breaking new ground.
    Neat.

Telus is to set the first telecom in Canada to reach 1 Gbps benchmark in real-world LTE-A test

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/09/27/t...ampaign=buffer

^wow, my cable (which just got upgraded), is 50mb/s download (11 upload).That's just insane - at some point I wonder if cable will go the way of the dodo.

Ugh.

This is the tech that allows the telcos to make a big mess of the unlicensed spectrum that stuff like wifi goes over. Not a big fan of giving the oligopoly free reign to crap all over the parts of the spectrum we're all supposed to share so they can make even more money.

So if my phone plan provides 6gbytes per month, if I understand that right, does this mean I hit my data limit in 6 seconds? or am I mixing up bytes and bits (in which case it would be 48 seconds)?
    Last edited by moahunter; 27-09-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Wait and see for Pixel XL 2 camera test when it comes out on Oct 4 th

Sony is about to get rid of Omnibalance design for good which is a long overdue for many Sony users.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/09/27/s...alance-design/

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    So if my phone plan provides 6gbytes per month, if I understand that right, does this mean I hit my data limit in 6 seconds? or am I mixing up bytes and bits (in which case it would be 48 seconds)?

So I bought a Samsung Galaxy S8 a few weeks ago. As a long time Windows phone user I thought I'd jot down some of the differences I've noticed so far. Some of these comments are regarding the OS, others regarding Samsung's implementation of the OS and others regarding the hardware but since all these things come together to form a single experience I didn't bother splitting them into those categories.

Pros

• The phone looks great and the build quality is high.
    • The camera is on par with my Lumia 950 XL
    • Samsung's "Always On Screen" is better than Windows "Glance Screen". Same basic functionality but more customizable and smarter notifications.
    • The OS is very customizable, with plenty of options for me in Settings
    • I can finally use the equalizer when using head phones (in Windows the equalizer only works when connected via Bluetooth for some reason)
    • Samsung's "Game Launcher" is reminiscent of Windows Phone 8 "Games Hub", which was a nice feature before they took it out.
    • I like Android's "app switching" interface. (switching between open apps). Very intuitive.
    • I can choose distinct ring tones for each sim card (I have a dual sim phone). With Windows I was able to choose distinct colours, but not ring tones.
    • Connecting to a guest wifi network is super quick. Not sure if it's just the speed of the processor or the way Android manages it.
    • Most of the apps I'm used to are also available on Android, plus some apps I wasn't able to get on my Windows phone.
    • I can finally install the swift key keyboard again. Although it's owned by Microsoft, they never released a Windows version which I find strange. This keyboard is far superior to the default Windows mobile keyboard.

Cons

• Long alphabetized lists in Windows give you the option to select a different letter of the alphabet to easily move down to the pertinent part of the list. See Windows start menu for example. The Android version of Groove music doesn't give me this feature and so I have to scroll through my music manually.
    • Playing music with Google assistant is less intuitive. On Windows phone I could just say "Play me some music". On Android I have to say "Play me some music on Microsoft Groove" and I've tried other variations of the same command but that's the only exact phrase that works.
    • Google Assistant doesn't do location based reminders. (for example, "remind me to deposit that cheque the next time I'm near TD Bank")
    • There are no live tiles. (My first Android phone had widgets but I don't know where to get the widgets on this phone)
    • I can't pin individual contacts to the start screen, and Samsung's "People Edge" doesn't work with contacts stored in Outlook.
    • There is no alphabetized list of "All Apps". Just a wall of icons.
    • The phone feels the same on both sides and there are buttons on both sides, so pulling it out of my pocket I have no idea which buttons are which and which is the front of the phone until I look at the phone, meaning I can't adjust the volume without looking at the phone. I'm sure over time I'll learn to distinguish between the various button simply on touch but putting all buttons on one side, would've made that easier.
    • Double tap to wake only works on the home button, not the entire screen. Presumably they've done this because there is the option to tap on a notification icon on the "always-on" screen, so this may not be fair to list as a "con".
    • When the phone rings there is no visual indication as to which sim card is ringing, so if it's on vibrate I have no way of knowing if it's a personal call or a business call.
    • The Android version of Outlook is slightly less convenient/intuitive.
    • The Android version of Groove doesn't play music videos.
    • Despite the customizability of Android, it doesn't make use of custom colours the way Windows does and there are generally less personalization options in terms of look and feel.
    • No sms auto-reply during "quiet hours"
    • There is no dedicated camera button.
    • No Edge browser available in the store.
    • I can't reply to text messages without opening the messaging app
    • Text message popups are much too short (only shows a few words) and disappear much too quickly (two seconds) and are not clickable.
    • There is no text popup notification if I'm already in the messaging app, even if I'm on a different thread.

It's also got wireless charging and USB-C which I'm happy about but since I had those on my old phone too I didn't list them as "pros". I don't care about the fingerprint scanner on this phone just like I didn't care about the Iris scanner on my old phone because I never lock my phones. That's just annoying.

Overall I'm quite happy with the phone. I'm not wowed by it by any means and I miss some of the features of Windows phone but there are also some nice things about Android to balance it out. Pleasantly surprised to see the "Always-on" screen option on this phone as I was expecting to miss that feature for sure. Not sure if all Android phones have that or if it's just a Samsung feature.
    Last edited by Vincent; 02-10-2017 at 05:52 PM.

^Some of your cons may just be a lack of familiarity with Android OS. I made the switch ten months ago. To a Blackberry OS user, the amount of customization that Android OS allows can seem overwhelming at first.

To address a few of your cons.

I'd be very surprised if the Samsung variant of Android doesn't have widgets. To access them on my Android, there is a circle in the middle of my screen with six dots. Push on that and it shows your App icons (listed alphabetically), your Widgets and your Shortcuts.

Double tapping to wake works on my entire screen, but then I don't have the Samsung variant. Maybe this feature has to be enabled in Settings.

While I haven't installed it, the Edge browser is available in the Play Store.

I'm surprised you don't lock your phone. But if you did, certain apps (including the camera) can be accessed without unlocking the phone. Handy if you want to snap a quick photo or video while walking down the street.

There is no Microsoft edge in the play store. There is a browser called "edge browser" but that's not from Microsoft.

I also don't have a button with six dots on my screen so I still can't find any widgets.

C2E Continued Contributor

Try tapping and holding on a blank part of the screen, and it should bring up some customization options. With my last 4 Android devices, widgets could always be accessed doing this.

Aha! That worked. It brings up small versions of each of my screens plus some options. One of which is "Widgets". Thanks!

Good news for Nexus 5X and 6P users that Google is extending security patches by 2 months.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/09/27/g...ampaign=buffer

Google plans to release other phone known as Ultra Pixel and it might make you drool very easily.

http://bgr.com/2017/09/28/pixel-2-pi...-leak-details/

From the BGR article above:

In addition to the media, the source also shared several details about the Ultra Pixel. The source claims that the Ultra Pixel will be the first Google phone to lack hardware and software navigation keys. Every single action on the phone will be controlled by gestures, which might explain the multitasking icon at the bottom of the display.
    A phone controlled solely by gestures sounds very similar to the Blackberry 10 OS on the Z10 I bought almost 5 years ago. In the smartphone world everything old becomes new again.

Quote Originally Posted by lobbdogg View Post
    Try tapping and holding on a blank part of the screen, and it should bring up some customization options. With my last 4 Android devices, widgets could always be accessed doing this.
    That works on my phone as well. Though to access widgets I prefer my method which must be a Blackberry customization.

Default Samsung could make more money from the iPhone X than its own phones

Counterpoint estimates Apple will sell 130 million units through the summer of 2019, and if the phone actually sells as well as it's projected to, Samsung will earn about $4 billion more in revenue making parts for the iPhone X than it will for making the components for its own Galaxy S8 phones. The disparity is actually quite surprising.

Samsung makes about $202 per Galaxy S8 sold from components alone, according to Counterpoint. The business analysis firm projects sales of about 50 million units over the next 20 months, which adds up to about $10.1 billion in revenue. Meanwhile, the iPhone X could make Samsung $14.3 billion during the same period.
    http://mashable.com/2017/10/02/samsu.../#CSkf2wAoAkq1

Apple is talking to LG, but reviews suggest LG smartphone screens suck in comparison to Samsung (at least, at the moment).

Looks like one of the "cons" I listed for my new Android phone will soon be negated. Microsoft is bring the Edge browser to both iOS and Android.

Source

Most people probably are not fans of "Edge" on the desktop and neither am I. I use Chrome on my PC, but on my phone I prefer Edge. I really like the "Reading Mode". This feature is available on the desktop version too but it just seems a lot more useful on a small screen. It gets rid of all the clutter and ads and leaves you just with the main content for easy reading on a beige background.

Plus Edge puts the address bar at the bottom, rather than the top, which again makes a lot of sense on a phone.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^hasn't safari done that for years?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Looks like one of the "cons" I listed for my new Android phone will soon be negated. Microsoft is bring the Edge browser to both iOS and Android.

Source

Most people probably are not fans of "Edge" on the desktop and neither am I. I use Chrome on my PC, but on my phone I prefer Edge. I really like the "Reading Mode". This feature is available on the desktop version too but it just seems a lot more useful on a small screen. It gets rid of all the clutter and ads and leaves you just with the main content for easy reading on a beige background.

Plus Edge puts the address bar at the bottom, rather than the top, which again makes a lot of sense on a phone.
    I've had the address bar on the bottom for quite awhile, in Chrome on your phone, go to chrome://flags/#enable-chrome-home and enable the setting.

Detailed steps at http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10...ss-bar-bottom/

For Reader Mode: https://lifehacker.com/enable-the-ne...dro-1666469700
    Last edited by Hilman; 05-10-2017 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    ^hasn't safari done that for years?
    I dunno. Safari on Android? Never used it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    I've had the address bar on the bottom for quite awhile, in Chrome on your phone, go to chrome://flags/#enable-chrome-home and enable the setting.

Detailed steps at http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10...ss-bar-bottom/
    You got my hopes up with that but I can't find the setting. I typed in the address you suggested but there are a thousand different settings in there. What should I be looking for?

EDIT: Never mind. Figured it out.
    Last edited by Vincent; 06-10-2017 at 09:51 AM.

This one doesn't seem to work anymore.

Samsung Galaxy 8 has suffered problems with text message

http://bgr.com/2017/10/06/galaxy-s8-...st-text-issue/
    Last edited by jagators63; 07-10-2017 at 07:57 AM.

A handful of iPhone 8 plus batteries swelling in at least 5 different countries.

https://www.cnet.com/news/iphone-8-p...inkId=43167333

It kind of works, I guess. It doesn't actually even call it "reading mode", rather it gives you the option to "Make page mobile friendly". Not quite as effective as Edge's reading mode, but it will have to do for now. Thanks!
    Last edited by Vincent; 07-10-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Wow. That's annoying. This is one of those problems you might not even know is there. If you don't receive text messages people might think you're ignoring them.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Wow. That's annoying. This is one of those problems you might not even know is there. If you don't receive text messages people might think you're ignoring them.
    I've had it happen on and off over the years, on multiple phones and manufacturers. Definitely had it with a Blackberry Pearl and Torch, along with a Nexus 4, and Samsung S6+8. Basically every smart phone I've had I've noticed at some point that I wasn't getting text messages I should have been (only had an iPhone about 6 months before a Vegas trip took care of it). I think it's more likely to be a carrier issue. I've been with Telus that entire time, and they of course don't think there's a problem. It's not something I've noticed frequently, but as you said, unless it's from someone you're having a fairly active conversation with or who will contact you through other means when you don't respond, it's hard to know how often it's truly happened. But overall, I'd say I've noticed it once or twice with each of those phones.

It does seem more likely to be a carrier issue.

Sonny Boy just washed moms iphone 6s 64gig. Water is running out of it. It's no fun being around here right now.

It does seem more likely to be a carrier issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Sonny Boy just washed moms iphone 6s 64gig. Water is running out of it. It's no fun being around here right now.
    Seems that you had a carrier issue too.

So mom’s going to be without her phone for a week or so while it dries out. Keep us updated.
    Last edited by KC; 15-10-2017 at 09:38 PM.

Will do.

Rice and dessicant silica-gel packs are you friends right now.
    May the force be with you

Default How the iPhone X Could Steal Christmas

Iphone X is getting rave reviews, with the facial unlock feature, unlike the Samsung one, actually effective. Now, there is worry that the phone could be so popular that consumers in the US won't have money to buy anything else at Christmas:

Sales growth during the holiday shopping season–typically the busiest time of the year for retailers–has already been under pressure in recent years as shopping increasingly shifts online. This year, the launch of the iPhone X adds a new headache.

Morgan Stanley expects consumers will spend roughly $30 billion on the new iPhone in the fourth quarter, a “significant headwind” for traditional retailers as consumers will likely divert money away from spending on things like clothing. The new iPhone, which boasts a full-screen display and facial-recognition system, hits stores Friday with Apple’s highest-ever average price tag of $999.
    https://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2017...eal-christmas/

^my Apple stocks love the sound of that. Apple is also known to buy up space on planes etc far in advance to get products to market leaving other manufacturers products sitting in warehouses and looking for alternative methods to get to get them in customers hands.

So I picked up a new Asus Zenfone 3 from Staples for 200 bones. Has Android and a sickly long battery life. Not state of the art mobile hardware but will serve my needs quite well I imagine. I'll admit I'm not much of a phone guy, could really careless about apps and the like but I'm sure digging this phone. Just need a case as it's quite slippery.

Glad I didn't let my carrier rope me into a contract with a high interest new phone 2 year payment plan.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

I bought four of those phones for my daycare. That's a good price for a decent phone. My only complaint is that the camera is slow, but I guess that's to be expected for $200.

Got my iPhone X. Single most premium piece of tech I've ever held. It's a different beast when in your hand.

^I'm envious, I am waiting for my work purchase plan to offer it. Will be quit an upgrade from my almost 4 year old 5s I think.

I can’t wait for mine but that probably won’t happen till the new year.

Default Notch App

Apple should put this as a setting, not an App, looks way better:

If you have a burning hatred of the so-called "notch" on your new iPhone X then boy do I have good news for you. Apple just approved an app called Notch Remover despite its urging of developers to embrace the notch by not masking it:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/13/...r-app-iphone-x

What's the "notch"?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

What's the "notch"?
    i think it's the "cutout" from the full screen image as seen on the phones at the back. the front phones appear to mask it by overlaying black on the side extensions of the image.

i suppose it's personal taste but i find it a bit humourous to spend hundreds of extra dollars on a phone with a larger edge to edge screen and then use software to mask the very appearance/function of the hardware you just purchased.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I just found out over the weekend that i0s 11 has screen recorder.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    i find it a bit humourous to spend hundreds of extra dollars on a phone with a larger edge to edge screen and then use software to mask the very appearance/function of the hardware you just purchased.
    Exactly!

So my wife gets her $1400 iPhone X then stops at Coach for a $1300 purse. Then down to Holts and stops in at Louis Vuitton for a $900 wallet. Over to West Ed and a few hundred in clothes. T&T, then over to Costco. OK let's go home, $5Gs later. Jeez, and no guilt. Plus I lost the company debit card when gassing up at Costco and I looked everywhere but couldn't find it so she had to phone in to cancel it which took a while, so I'm the one feeling guilty and in the doghouse. Isn't marriage a lovely thing.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 13-11-2017 at 04:30 PM.

So my wife gets her $1400 iPhone X then stops at Coach for a $1300 purse. Then down to Holts and stops in at Louis Vuitton for a $900 wallet. Over to West Ed and a few hundred in clothes. T&T, then over to Costco. OK let's go home, $5Gs later. Jeez, and no guilt. Plus I lost the company debit card when gassing up at Costco and I looked everywhere but couldn't find it so she had to phone in to cancel it which took a while, so I'm the one feeling guilty and in the doghouse. Isn't marriage a lovely thing.
    ouch ... sorry about it

It's all ok, thanks tho. Just numbers I'm not accustomed to. I forgot the 12 at the nail supply place so 6k in one weekend. Now if it were tools or rec. stuff it would be different. lol. She says I must get a new phone too. I'm still on my old iphone4 but it works ok for me.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 14-11-2017 at 11:46 PM.

A small aside.

Hedy Lamarr and E Phones

http://www.americanthinker.com/artic..._e_phones.html
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Interesting story. Kudos to Susan Sarandon to bring attention to it.

Got my X today.

First impressions are good. The setup where it just detects your old phone and pulls all your setting over was very slick. A number of apps carried their credentials over but I still have to re-log into a few. So far seems very nice. Face ID works well. The switch from the home button to gestures hasn't been difficult as the gestures are all pretty easy to do from a standard holding position.

Going to play with camera next.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

So how do you get back to the home screen with gestures?

So how do you get back to the home screen with gestures?
    Small flick up from the bottom edge. I find easier than the home button as it requires less of a movement and works from anywhere on the bottom edge. Also if you're in landscape it works from whichever edge has become the bottom edge.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839