Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crosswalks

Pavement lights guide 'smartphone zombies' - BBC News

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-38992653

I'd rather C2E than work!

^ How about personal responsibility ?
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

That would be helpful for all kinds of people not just those looking at their phones. Although the little hand and man across the street may be easy to see for most of us, this would be easier to see for those who have medium/severe visual impairment without being fully blind. Those sound buttons help some people but when you're severely visually impaired, even with a cane, finding the post with the button on it isn't always easy.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

In fact, it's a mystery to me how blind people find those posts. They seem to be at a different orientation and place at each intersection.

One Crosswalk I use (101st & 105 Ave) Changed just this week from beg button to have a walk every cycle. So Nice, and zero loss to drivers on 101 were stopped at 106 and at 104 anyway.
    There can only be one.

C2E Long Term Contributor
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Kudos to the City for starting to roll out simple, yet visible and hopefully effective crossing signals. Below is a picture of a new signal at 98 avenue and 107 st, next to the Government Transit Centre. The picture doesn't do justice to the signal's brightness.

My only issue with these is that they don't always work, at least I've noticed the one on Whyte has issues. My guess is that the solar panel isn't getting enough sunlight to keep the lights powered properly, as it's the one on the South side close to the Roots building that I've seen issues with (3 times now).
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

^
    I would call 311 and let them know. They could probably add additional panels on the pole if its not getting enough light.

I filed something on the app. Way easier/quicker than calling it in, and you can check on the status quite easily.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

They need to put a pedestrian traffic light at the existing marked crosswalk at Gateway Blvd just north of 83 ave and synchronize it with the existing pedestrian traffic light at Gateway and 83 ave. So many times on Saturday when the market is open I have to stop at the light at 83 ave only to have to stop again for pedestrians at the crosswalk just north of 83ave. Make them both lights and synchronize them so the traffic can move unimpeded when the lights are green.

Back in the mid 2000's I was sitting in Burger King on 137th Ave where all the strip malls are. There's an unlit crosswalk there (No flashing lights) and a vehicle was stopped let a pedestrian cross. As he stepped out from in front of that vehicle another one that was coming along hit him and sent him flying. Guess it wasn't clear to that ***** as to why a car would be stopped on the road at a crosswalk.

Not sure what happened to the guy but ever since I saw that, I've started doing two things differently. For one, I stay much farther back from the crosswalk than I used to, up to 2 car-lengths. This allows the pedestrian to see the next lane better for coming cars, and also gives oncoming cars a better view of the pedestrian. On 4-lane roads like Jasper Ave and that problem intersection near the Basilica, I will actually move over the dividing line to take up both lanes as long as there's no other traffic around me, and stop there. After they cross I put my blinker on and go back into the lane I was in before. I've been honked at before and I don't care. I'm sure the ones that honked at me felt like idiots after they saw the pedestrian walk out from in front of my truck anyways. Cops have never given me trouble for doing it, and I would tell them why if they did, and take a ticket if they still felt like it, but I could also say I stopped during a lane-change... After seeing that guy sprawled out on the road, it's not something I would want to see happen right in front of me as they're walking out from the front of my truck...

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

^ This is the number one hazard for pedestrians like me (i.e., people who don't simply walk out with checking). In addition to the scenario you describe above, I've actually had a couple of near misses when cars *behind* the stopped one would pass and try to run me down.

I avoid all these sorts of intersections now. If the corner is basically quiet, I will hang well back of the corner and wait for an actual opportunity to cross. If not, I will walk over to a controlled intersection. I don't mind if it takes a bit longer to get where I'm going.

C2E SME

It drives me crazy when some drivers treat arterial roads like freeways. It seems like Edmonton is divided into a half dozen sections for pedestrians and bikes that are divided by freeways, railway tracks/yards and sometimes rivers/creeks.
    Last edited by The_Cat; 06-04-2018 at 03:15 PM.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post
    Back in the mid 2000's I was sitting in Burger King on 137th Ave where all the strip malls are. There's an unlit crosswalk there (No flashing lights) and a vehicle was stopped let a pedestrian cross. As he stepped out from in front of that vehicle another one that was coming along hit him and sent him flying. Guess it wasn't clear to that ***** as to why a car would be stopped on the road at a crosswalk.

Not sure what happened to the guy but ever since I saw that, I've started doing two things differently. For one, I stay much farther back from the crosswalk than I used to, up to 2 car-lengths. This allows the pedestrian to see the next lane better for coming cars, and also gives oncoming cars a better view of the pedestrian. On 4-lane roads like Jasper Ave and that problem intersection near the Basilica, I will actually move over the dividing line to take up both lanes as long as there's no other traffic around me, and stop there. After they cross I put my blinker on and go back into the lane I was in before. I've been honked at before and I don't care. I'm sure the ones that honked at me felt like idiots after they saw the pedestrian walk out from in front of my truck anyways. Cops have never given me trouble for doing it, and I would tell them why if they did, and take a ticket if they still felt like it, but I could also say I stopped during a lane-change... After seeing that guy sprawled out on the road, it's not something I would want to see happen right in front of me as they're walking out from the front of my truck...
    That crossing by the Burger King is now fully signalized with a beg button to give red lights to traffic. There's also a flashing yellow light crossing that they put in further down by the Servus Credit Union, I think a few pedestrians were hit there before they put that one in. 137 Ave is such a wide road there and it's crazy busy with traffic, I couldn't believe they ever thought it was a good idea to have any crosswalks without any lights at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12