Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Breakfast Places...

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Default Good Breakfast Places...

I love breakfast; however, there seems to be a lack of good places to go. Yes, we have the chains (Dennys, Smittys, etc) but I miss a GOOD breakfast place.

Right now, my fave is the Silk Hat on Jasper Avenue. In the 'Bert, Socrates has great bennies on Sunday. Any others?

(this thread came from a discussion on breakfast places in the introduction page.)
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

I love food and food is served at breakfast so it stands to reason that I love breakfast! It has all the "fun" food groups. Grease, cholesterol and fat (protein too). Bacon, Bacon and sausage!

Current Favs are:

Blue Plate Diner on 104 St.

Barb & Ernies on 99 St.

West Harvest Inn on 178 St

Brunch at the Hotel MacDonald

Brunch at the Mayfield Inn either at the show or just in the dining room.

Honourable mention to White Spot out in Leduc (has to be the Leduc location) they have great service and the omelets are fluffy. They also have great homemade sausages.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

West Harvest Inn is good. I like the buffet on Sundays at the Royal West...

^ Me too! Ahhhh, buffets.

Addicted to C2E

Friends and Neighbours Cafe on 108 st and whyte ave is pretty good.

Also, Roots Organic on 112st and 83 ave is great. They make fresh crapes! mmmmmmm.......... crapes........ ggaaaaghhhll.

My personal favourite is Urban Diner in High Street. Good food, great atmosphere!

A few that I like:

Red Goose Diner - 95st & 66ave
    The Commodore - 108st & Jasper
    Tasty Toms - 100St & Whyte
    Zuppa Cafe - 110St & 99ave

Quote Originally Posted by mick
    A few that I like:

Red Goose Diner - 95st & 66ave
    The Commodore - 108st & Jasper
    Tasty Toms - 100St & Whyte
    Zuppa Cafe - 110St & 99ave
    The Commodore, yum! Nice breakfasts at a very reasonable price! BTW, great burgers and real milkshakes as well.

Snakes, I adore Roots Organic! They make great spinach tarts etc. I like their "crepes" as well!

Chicken for Lunch in Scotia Place is good fast takeaway breakfast food too!

C2E Long Term Contributor

silk hat - jasper and 103 - amazing omes

blue plate - 104st - pricey but so good

99st diner - well priced, cool diner feel, great food

druid - jasper and 116st - pint of beer and steak, cant go wrong.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Hard Core Contributor

1. High Level Diner on the south side of the High Level Bridge
    2. Glenora Diner on 102 Avenue and 124 Street
    3. Zuppa Cafe on 110 Street and 99 Avenue

Okay I need some breakfast now... I had no idea there were this many.
    Time to grow up.

C2E Super Addict

Tim Hortons

Quote Originally Posted by Chump
    Tim Hortons

I've wanted to use that for the longest time :P
    Time to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by m0nkyman
    Yeah, I forgot the circumflex. (That is about the sum total of my French, accents and their names!) Hey, I have trouble enough with English some days...

First One is Always Free

Default Bagel Cafe

I tried the New York Bagel Cafe (8430 Gateway Boulevard) recently and was pleasantly surprised. The food took a while but it was worth the wait. The Blue Chair is excellent (check the live music for the day http://www.bluechair.ca/), and lets not forget Cafe Select (8404 109 Street or 405-10018 106 Street, http://www.cafeselect.ca/).

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djgirl
    Yeah, I forgot the circumflex.
    ...am I the only one that knew what was being talked about, circumflex or not?

...darn English language keyboards forcing alt+number combinations to get pesky accents...

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS
    Quote Originally Posted by djgirl
    Yeah, I forgot the circumflex.
    ...am I the only one that knew what was being talked about, circumflex or not?

...darn English language keyboards forcing alt+number combinations to get pesky accents...
    Don't you know that French is the language of love? Hence crêpes makes what is simply a fancy pancake sound so much more special.

You don't have to alt+number to get those pesky accents they can simply be inserted for us mouse fans.

Another good place for breakfast is the Fantasyland restaurant in WEM.

First One is Always Free

I'm rather partial to the weekend brunches at Original Joe's (who happen to have a location opening soon in St. Albert) or Brewster's.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

My recommendation is Café Mosaics on Whyte. Their cowgirl breakfast is awesome!

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    druid - jasper and 116st - pint of beer and steak, cant go wrong.
    Oh yeah...the Hangover Special. Had that just yesterday on Sunday.

I agree with Mick, The Red Goose is great.

C2E Posting Power

The Sunday Brunch at the Coast Terrace Inn I think is usually fantastic. Although getting pretty pricey at near $25 bucks a person.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Route 99....99Street & about 88/89 ave, near Culina.

Now Culina has good breakfast too, but much more $.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

OK, so I am bumping this old thread...but if I didn't, SDM would put out one of those "already here" links...

So, has anything changed since 2007???

I am in need of a good breakfast place on Monday. I normally do the Commodore, and it is one of my faves...but this time I want something slightly different...

...more healthy choices...relaxed atmosphere...and not cramped seating...

...oh, and it must be either downtown, near downtown, or close to Groat...

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

OK, scratch Urban Diner...not only are they closed Mondays...but they are not open until 11 on weekdays...booooooooooo

Glenora Bistro in the Glenora B&B? A bit more upscale than the commodore, though.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Cora... mmmmmm.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

The Bistro is more upscale, yes...but there is nothing really catchy on the menu...

Cora looks sweet, but that is not really close to where I need to go. I'll save it for when I have time for a drive.

I think we have another thread on this somewhere. Anyway, Haps Hungry house (SPR) needs to be on any breakfast list, it surprising how many people I bump into there.

If you don't mind splurging a bit, you can always do breako at one of our higher-end hotels like the Hotel MacDonald, Westin, Sutton Place, etc.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Bumping this again...Since I want to see what else is out there.

Where are your favourite/convenient/best value/best tasting places? I'm looking to add to my list of options to go to on weekends...

West - Haps, Cora's
    Downtown/Whyte - Tasty Tom's, Barb and Ernies, Urban Diner, Sugar Bowl, glenora bistro
    South - Cora's

North and East, I don't really go to. Hotel Mac, etc. are good but not every weekend type thing.

With De Dutch (hopefully opening in the next year!), I would add that to my list...
    are there any good ones in the south west? I have yet to find one.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

You'll probably start getting De Dutch reviews starting tomorrow (their reputed opening date). I work across from them but the construction obscures their store front. I'm looking forward to an occasion of going there myself but think it might be a zoo for the next few weeks.

Eve

BTW, my choice for breakfast when I'm doing that on the weekend is the Friends and Neighbors Cafe on Whyte. Three blocks from me and serves breakfast all day.

Eve
    Last edited by EveB; 07-11-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Corrected name of restaurant

Great Bfast at Mill Creek Cafe. Easily accessible from the river valley trails, and adjacent to one of the cities best used bookstores. Peruse the offerings at Earth's General Store across the street apres brunch -- makes for a relaxing morning hangout.

Is Pat and Mikes still operating on the west end? That place was fast and affordable with decent food, but the last time I was there about be about 15 years ago!

For delicious breakfast sandwiches, choose Sequel Cafe.

102ave just west of 100st in the National Bank building.
    www.decl.org

Wildflower Grill does a great Sunday brunch. There yesterday. Also really like Culina at the Muttart.

Less high end but still very good, Deejays Restaurant on 118 Ave at 38th Street. Solid breakfast fare. On 118 at about 93rd is Absolutely Edibles. Only been once but really enjoyed it. Roman's on Stony Plain Road is good too. Love Hap's out there as well. Also Rick & Alice's at 109 and 71st Ave.

Another east location that's good is X-Wreck's on 50th. Finally, Saratoga's on Calgary Trail is okay too.
    Last edited by PJC; 05-11-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Partially Addicted to C2E

JB's in Beverly is pretty good

I'd rather C2E than work!

Still a fan of 99 Diner. Tried Cora's on the south side, very disappointed.

I s'pose there's always the $1 jobby at Ikea with those weird sausages.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

99 is fun.

Commodore on Jasper is a staple for basic diner food.
    www.decl.org

After trying Cora's a few times, I think the fruit is a much needed touch that should be copied everywhere, but otherwise the food sucks.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I use to eat at Cora's weekly when I lived in Toronto and it was always fantastic. I think the fruit really makes their menu cause I find the quality of fruit to be terrible in the Edmonton location. Where in Toronto they would always be using the best seasonal fruit, here there is way less variety and not as fresh/ripe. The same thing can be said for our grocery stores vs Toronto as well. I'm disappointed with Cora's here as well, but still think it's a solid franchise if they are in a location with better access to fresh fruit.

I have no interest in breakfasting at Cora. Too much fruit, not enough meat and grease.

Anyone mention Blue Plate Diner? They are only open on weekends, but their coffee is good and they make a delicious florentine benny.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

No one have mentioned Artisan Bakery on Whyte. This is my prefered, then Friends and Neighbours. Cora goes in the Denny's/Humpty's/Phil's catagory IMO although the top of that list, Commodore or 99 is fine if all I want is bacon and eggs. I enjoyed the New York Bagel Cafe but found them a bit pricey.

I know it's a chain, but of all the chain type places, I find Ricky's the best of the chain breakfast places by a wide margin, and the prices are significantly lower than ripoff Denny's.

Can't remember what possessed us to do so, but we hit up Albert's at Londonderry a couple years ago and found it surprisingly decent.

My biggest complaint with most breakfast places, good or cheap, is the coffee is usually terrible or worse.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Very reasonable and super friendly family running it:

The Red Goose
    9625 66 Ave

Here you won't find Brioche, exquisite espresso, vegan-gluten-lactose free fare etc.

Breakfast served all day, I think they close at 3 or 4 pm. Overall it's a great place, my wife and I with two kids all had breakfast for $35 - $40.

De Dutch on Jasper Ave
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    De Dutch on Jasper Ave
    Oddly enough, the pannenkoek that they serve there is only eaten for dinner in the Netherlands, never for breakfast (and rarely for lunch). I've told my Dutch friends that there's a real Dutch pannenkoekenhuis in Edmonton, but that they are closed for dinner, and they all think this is completely bizarre.

I really like Under the High Wheel in Old Strathcona for breakfast/brunch. It's small, though, and often crowded, especially on the weekends.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Funny, you pass by a place all your life and it takes the internet to convince you to stop in. Looking forward to finally trying the Commodore! I regularly breakfast with somebody who loves milkshakes - especially for breakfast - AND is an enormous bibliophile. Homemade milkshakes next door to Audreys sounds like best breakfast date ever!

Como is good ol greasy spoon
    www.decl.org

Artisan RestoCafe on Whyte -- it's been mentioned already -- is great because it gives a continental breakfast option, for those of us who like a coffee and a croissant but don't need all the cholesterol.

I wish there more such places. Most coffee shops will give you that kind of breakfast, of course, but the pastries are un-fresh and therefore completely forgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    De Dutch on Jasper Ave
    Oddly enough, the pannenkoek that they serve there is only eaten for dinner in the Netherlands, never for breakfast (and rarely for lunch). I've told my Dutch friends that there's a real Dutch pannenkoekenhuis in Edmonton, but that they are closed for dinner, and they all think this is completely bizarre.

I really like Under the High Wheel in Old Strathcona for breakfast/brunch. It's small, though, and often crowded, especially on the weekends.
    Ha, ya I'm aware of that. But it's still worth checking out for breakfast. Food is decent, the decor and location are prime. Edit: De Dutch will be open until 8pm on Tuesday February 12 for Shrove Tuesday. $2 from every meal goes to Breast Cancer Research - https://www.facebook.com/events/498795220172419/?ref=22

I also really like Under the High Wheel. The food is really good.
    Last edited by GreenSPACE; 01-02-2013 at 10:57 AM.
    www.decl.org

All the same it would be lovely if they served supper. I work across from it but the only meal I would take downtown would be after work. Now that I'm a teetotaler it would be lovely to have a place where I can get a bite to eat that doesn't expect me to order liquor and is dignified enough not to have kids running around.

Eve

Has anyone been to Barb & Ernies lately? I drove past it tonight, and it occurred to me that I haven't heard much about this place lately. I remember several years ago when people were constantly raving about the place, and hearing about the big lineups out the door every morning. I know the real Barb and Ernie retired a while back. Recent reviews on urbanspoon are mixed.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 12-10-2013 at 12:53 AM.

^

Same old.

Nothing's changed.

It was highly over rated at the best of times.

Only thing Top_Dawg would suggest is the German Buffet they put on Thursday night.

And even that - once every coupla years is plenty.

So you don't end up like ol' Wally Bell.

No one has mentioned HAPS!!

It's great!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Lol. I haven't been to haps in years.

Interesting quantity at one time, but the butter and grease factor would make for...well...let's just say a Top_Dawg story would be not descriptive enough for the GI issues I suffered every time I consumed the hunger buster.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    No one has mentioned HAPS!!

It's great!
    Supremely underwhelmed the one time I went (I think in late '11).
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

^ O I love it...

best monte cristo I have had in a long time.

it's like a Route 99 but the staff is nicer. If you ever travel into the Mid West USA it reminds me a lot of places you find there.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Route 99 is way closer to us, and we haven't had any issues with the staff.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

I used to live across the street from it... never cared for the new owners much.

Don't shun me for this, but I like IHOP! As far as chain places go (Albert's, Denny's Smitty's, etc), it's the better of the lot. Every time I've been this location, I've never had an order of over-medium eggs burnt to a crisp, nor had an uncooked pancake, nor had coffee that tastes like ditch water. But go early for the best results, esp on a weekend. If you get the middle-aged blond guy as your waiter, he's awesome.

Now the IHOPs in the Great Satan, on the other hand, are another matter...
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 15-10-2013 at 09:10 PM.

First One is Always Free

District Cafe just off 109 street and 100th ave has great breafast on Saturdays...waffle sandwiches!

We love going to De Dutch on Jasper ave, we go first thing in the a.m. on weekends, as soon as they open so we can score free meter parking for an hour before 9 am rolls around.

High level Diner is one of my favourites also.

IHOP and Ricky's are my go-to places, and De Dutch on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Don't shun me for this, but I like IHOP! As far as chain places go (Albert's, Denny's Smitty's, etc), it's the better of the lot. Every time I've been this location, I've never had an order of over-medium eggs burnt to a crisp, nor had an uncooked pancake, nor had coffee that tastes like ditch water. But go early for the best results, esp on a weekend. If you get the middle-aged blond guy as your waiter, he's awesome.

Now the IHOPs in the Great Satan, on the other hand, are another matter...
    I like IHOP is the US everywhere - and that has to be 20 different ones I have been to...BUT breakfast for me can by hall a dozen hot off the conveyer belt of just glazed Krispy Creams...and I have many a breakfast of those. Keeps you hyper for a few hours lol.

First One is Always Free

I've always been partial to ol' Route 99...as a total vinyl freak the decor in there appeals to me greatly (the food ain't bad, either).

Considering all the praise it's gotten over time, since I actually live out in the West end now I should gather up the family and give Hap's a go one of these days...

I miss the brunch at the Sidetrack Cafe (but then I just miss the Sidetrack!)

I've been to Barb & Ernie's twice in the last month. Bratwurst for breakfast. Absolutely recommend.

Went to De Dutch for breaky this morning. Haven't been by there for a very long time. Still busy on a Sunday AM - in fact there was a large lineup at the door by the time I was leaving. Food still good, coffee a bit meh. Anyone know how they're faring on weekdays now?

I took a date to Mill Creek Cafe for brunch yesterday. Hands down the 2nd best eggs benny I've ever had, after Provence Marinaside in Vancouver. Highly recommend.

NOT the Commodore.

Went to De Dutch for breaky this morning. Haven't been by there for a very long time. Still busy on a Sunday AM - in fact there was a large lineup at the door by the time I was leaving. Food still good, coffee a bit meh. Anyone know how they're faring on weekdays now?
    If the coffee seemed on the weak side, that's a Dutch preference. But its deceptively full of caffeine
    www.decl.org

If you just want a great basic breakfast I sometimes go to the Rosslyn. Pleasant enough setting and the service has always been good.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

^At Canyon Grill? I always forget that place is there. On a related note - the Rosslyn Liquor store has like 800 wines! They need to advertise better, but they're like the Wine & Beyond of the north side, as far as wine selection goes.

^That's it, Canyon Grill.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Just for a change of routine, had breaky at De Dutch this morning. Tables were half-full but the waitress I know said it was busy for a weekday. Which likely implies that, apart from weekends when people are lined up out the door, the place still ain't doing great otherwise. Hope it gets more weekday support because it's awesome.

Not much of a breakfast crowd here, but they do well at lunch and weekends as mentioned.
    www.decl.org

What was kinda annoying though was most patrons were seated in the back room instead of the front. Pedestrians would likely think the place is dead.

Yeah, they are bad for that, you ALWAYS put people in the window.
    www.decl.org

^I think people don't want to sit at the window because of the sun. But ya, not how you seat people.
    www.decl.org

^Not much sun in that window in the morning. They don't have an awning to help the glare at lunch?

Anyone mention Blue Plate Diner? They are only open on weekends, but their coffee is good and they make a delicious florentine benny.
    In case this hasn't been mentioned, Blue Plate has been open for weekday breakfast for a few months now.
    www.decl.org

I haven't been back to Blue Plate for brunch since they took their Florentine Benny off the menu.

^Madison's has a nice benny
    www.decl.org

Went to De Dutch this morning for my quarterly pannenkoek fix. Still busy on weekends, which is good to see.

Yeah, there's always a line-up whenever I go.

Ate at Cora's in Sherwood Park today. Everyone in our group liked it. We walked right in but there was a big lineup when we left.

El Cortez ‏@ElCortezYEG

Gearing up for soft launch of #Brunch today! Starting next weekend, we have #MexicanBrunch on Sat and Sun, 11-2!

There was a pop-up brunch at the Mercury Room this past weekend. Anyone catch that?
    www.decl.org

Meat for brunch.

Brisket yam hash
    Breakfast sandwich with Edam pork belly
    Fried chicken with cornmeal flapjacks
    Brisket bennies with garlic fries

Bourbon Caesars

Everything very tasty

No resos, none were needed, busy but not full.
    www.decl.org

McDonalds all-day breakfast being test-piloted in Fort Sask
    http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...-day-breakfast

Admit it, you're dying for an Egg McMuffin now!

McDonalds all-day breakfast being test-piloted in Fort Sask
    http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...-day-breakfast

Admit it, you're dying for an Egg McMuffin now!
    Nope, and the thought process about this announcement going in the "Good Breakfast Places..." is a questionable one for me.

Should be everywhere. Handy especially when travelling. I love the hash browns

De Dutch was delicious with De Bacon this AM.

www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

I don't know if it's been mentioned on this thread but Hathaway's Diner has FANTASTIC breakfast. Their skillets are out of this world. 132 Street 133 Avenue

Cafe Linnea this AM for brunch. Beautiful space, good service, delicious food. Dat bacon!

http://www.cafelinnea.ca/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2O992JVEAIw_1V.jpg
    www.decl.org

^Very cool list of breakfast cocktails there, too.

Yup, looking forward to going back with the family.
    www.decl.org

Default Haps Hungry House

None of you give a **** about the west side, and none of us in the west side totally blame you, but if you want breakfast, it's down Stony Plain Rd at about a buck sixty. Whether you want eggs and bacon, or pancakes and szzurp or some $15 combination of all that ****, it's seriously the best breakfast joint in Edmonton. Closed at 3pm every day, at which point the rest of the city gets TFO and lets SPR go back to being poor and ******. I can't wait until the west side gets infused with LRT fuelled urban hipsters, as a side note. Lots of potential there, but the west side will always be the west side... i hope anyways

FWIW, the McDonald's at Westmount is advertising all-day breakfast, even though it's still being renovated.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast