Thread: Edmonton needs these

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Edmonton needs these

I saw several of these in Holland. Wouldn't it be nice if Edmonton was to have such
    machines to clean the sidewalks in the downtown, Old Strathcona and 124 Street?

Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

C2E Long Term Contributor

I thought we did? I saw one downtown earlier this week.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

In Guantanamo (Banned)

What edmonton truly needs is not the paving stones and things to clean them with in the foreground, but what stands in the background.

^so the city of Edmonton should get into property development now? interesting.
    be offended! figure out why later...

C2E Long Term Contributor

We have 1 or 2 similar machines, I see them quite often, but am not convinced they are worthwhile considering what I see out there.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Living in Germany I got used to how every morning and every afternoon you would see retailers/business owners outside with a pushbroom. A little bit of effort goes a long way. Those sidewalk vacuum trucks the city has are obnoxiously loud.

Quote Originally Posted by alex69 View Post
    What edmonton truly needs is not the paving stones and things to clean them with in the foreground, but what stands in the background.
    Unless you have a time machine, Edmonton won't get 500 years of history.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    We have about 250 years' worth.

Don't kid yourself about the buildings. They're just containers, and what's in them is modern.

I'd rather C2E than work!

We have about 250 years' worth.

Don't kid yourself about the buildings. They're just containers, and what's in them is modern.
    Yes, but that doesn't guarantee you can construct them with the same materials, scale or workmanship in an economical fashion in Edmonton.

We don't have 250 years worth of physical assets in Edmonton, you are hard pressed to find many that are 100.

Yep, in many cases we knock 'em down when they're past their sell-by date of about 40 years.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Using the logic of some people, I don't understand why ancient cities don't have their downtowns lined with caves, clay huts, or hovels made of straw and cow poop. I mean, those were razed for modern buildings in their time.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Partially Addicted to C2E

A city does not have to be old to be nice.

Using the logic of some people, I don't understand why ancient cities don't have their downtowns lined with caves, clay huts, or hovels made of straw and cow poop. I mean, those were razed for modern buildings in their time.
    Those structures you refer would not have lasted and it is difficult to build a downtown around caves. Portions of London and Paris were destroyed by fire but I believe portions large portions of their cities survive from those post fire construction phases.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

To paraphrase that i-phone ad. on TV: If you don't have an appreciation, well, you don't have an appreciation.
    Last edited by howie; 20-05-2011 at 08:27 PM.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Let's not make too big a deal of hoary age. I mean, 1000-year-old buildings are without a doubt a major part of the world cultural patrimony, no one would argue anything else, but still so much of Europe got firebombed and rebuilt in the twentieth century that any particular old-world view may or may not be modern in fact.

Particularly if that's Rotterdam in the picture (not saying it is). Here's what it looked like in 1940, 1946, and 1960: (all images borrowed for fair use, some from Flicker):

1940:

1946:

1960:

Rotterdam actually makes for an interesting study for us because we have without firebombing allowed so much of our city core to be laid flat, with a modernistic-highrise rebuilding over the recent decades.
    Last edited by alex69; 20-05-2011 at 08:59 PM.

C2E Continued Contributor

Agreed, the city should have these going down White Ave, Jasper, 124 every night. Would help clean up.

New downtown Saskatoon street sweeper expected to save money - Saskatoon | Globalnews.ca
    May 31, 2017

https://shawglobalnews.files.wordpre...l&w=335&zoom=2

https://globalnews.ca/news/3491661/d...treet-sweeper/

Enviro-Team - Downtown Winnipeg BIZDowntown Winnipeg BIZ

“Two deluxe sidewalk sweepers

Two snow plows/sweepers”

http://downtownwinnipegbiz.com/progr...o-enviro-team/
    Last edited by KC; 11-03-2019 at 07:10 PM.