Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Raymond Block - 6 storeys - Mixed Use - Under Construction

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Raymond Block - 6 storeys - Mixed Use - Under Construction

Finally, something's gonna happen with the Esso brownfield on Whyte Ave

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Time+...869/story.html

Jon Harding, a spokesman for the company, said in the past 14 years there has been a lot of talk but no one pitched them with an actual idea to beautify the site.

He said Esso was open to it.

I spoke to some artists. Then I heard from a clever architectural technologist named Philip Deeg, who had begun thinking seriously about an intervention on the site: an Imperial Square-Centennial Park to celebrate the 100th anniversary, in 2012, of the amalgamation of Edmonton and Strathcona.

"I work around the corner from it," Deeg said. "I look at it every day and decided this would be a perfect intervention project."

As Deeg writes in his conceptual pitch, it would be a place of celebration. A park, a stage, a retail location while the land is being remediated. "The park could be designed for deconstruction and recycling," when the land is remediated and functional again.

Then, late this week, Harding called with some news: this fall, Imperial Oil plans to dig out the contaminated soil and put the property up for sale. I shared Deeg's idea with Harding and he was intrigued.

"We're interested in beautification initiatives," Harding said. "But this could be an active work site even before we begin the remediation process. We'd hate for people to spend money on something that'll be dismantled in a couple of months."
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Then, late this week, Harding called with some news: this fall, Imperial Oil plans to dig out the contaminated soil and put the property up for sale.
    Good, I guess. Why couldn't they have done that a decade ago?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I'd rather C2E than work!

That's amazing!

Park good. New infill better.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Park should be temporary, while something bigger and better is planned. And that building could use some materials like that decking for it's very own rooftop patio. ( A rooftop patio at 105 and 82?... Sweet).

Happy Saturday everyone! I know mine just got brighter.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Great to see this development.

Seriously though, the process of remediating those sites takes time. Those companies were just operating the sites according to the standards of the day. If each customer spills 5 drops of gasoline when they fill up, imagine how that adds up each day, each week, over the years.

If you try to rush the process and get it wrong and anybody gets some kind of exposure to gasoline or other spilled fluids, we all know they would sue huge.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Park good. New infill better.
    Personally I'd like to see more greenspace along that stretch of Whyte Ave. Maybe 1/2 of it an infill development, other 1/2 a park?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Addicted to C2E

Definitely should end up as infill, not a park.
    Mike

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Then, late this week, Harding called with some news: this fall, Imperial Oil plans to dig out the contaminated soil and put the property up for sale.
    Apparently there's a gravel seam in that area that carried the contamination all over it and possibly to adjacent properties. It may well be that the remediation required initially would have been too hard to justify for a property developer, and that enough time has passed and the value has increased enough that it's now become worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by ike9126 View Post
    Definitely should end up as infill, not a park.
    Agreed, imho this stretch of Whyte is perfect for a little bit of densification; two stories retail, and three of residential above, terracing away from Whyte.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

A step in the right direction for sure
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

Not sure I would put residential on that corner.... would rather see a little more office + retail somewhat akin to the kitty corner.
    www.decl.org

Boutique hotel, retail and office above.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

lots of hotel in the area... we need more office/employment in the area that can support lunch/dinner places.
    www.decl.org

I'm okay with some hotel that has some small convention space.

something union bank inn ish.. with a small foot print.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Main level retail/restaurant, then a few levels of office, capped with art studio space. Possibly an open studio concept where artists can pay a session fee to have access to the space, materials, storage, and instruction space?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E SME

I came accross this building online and I think something like this would be really cool on that piece of land.

I don't know where I got the original picture I found so I just found another picture that I got from google street view of the same building.
    Last edited by Edmcowboy11; 03-07-2011 at 08:53 PM.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

^ Where did you find that image?
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    ^ Where did you find that image?
    Unfortunately I don't recall, I was just skimming through a ton of different pics online and it was one of many that I liked.

Actually I just did a search based off of the one street sign and apparently this is from the Vancouver area, Carrell St. and Pender St.
    Last edited by Edmcowboy11; 03-07-2011 at 06:51 PM.

You still need to give credit for posting it.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    You still need to give credit for posting it.
    I hear ya. Although since I didn't know where to look again for this same pic I just pull the picture of the building from google street view and have replaced the picture.

Anyways I think this is a nice looking building and if something like this were to be built on the property in question of this thread I think that this corner would end up looking pretty nice.

its a restored building in chinatown - they did a nice job restoring it

C2E SME

Not directly related to the Whyte brownfield, but there might be something happening with the old Husky on Jasper and 116th as apparently the building housing Kelly's next door is coming down in the next while.

^interesting.... hopefully something decent considering the prominence of that location. I do hope that demo is not completed until things are a go or we will get yet another hole for some time.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

It was posted in a leads publication, so it's nothing concrete and might be a ways away from happening.

That would suck losing Kellys though.

I saw an excavator working on the site today. Anyone know what going on?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

^ It was posted in the Whyte Ave thread, but they're doing final remediation.

Here's the full video of the Global story:
    http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/vide...1&s=dd#stories

Discussion from a couple of days ago
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...331#post391331
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 07-09-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    No doubt.

Esso has tons of these contaminated sites all around the city where they used to have gas stations (97st & 121 ave, 127st & 142ave, 50st & 128 ave, 66st & 132 ave).

It's too bad the city can't do something to motivate Esso to clean up their mess.

Public space envisioned for Whyte gas station land

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...te-avenue.html

An Imperial Oil spokesperson told CBC News remediation work should be completed within two months. The company will then put the land up for sale.

The pending sale has prompted the group that represents area business owners to dream about what the site could be.

"We envision a public space where we can have a skating rink in the winter, end-of-trip facilities for bicycles," said David Richardson from the Old Strathcona Business Association.

"Another set of public washrooms on the avenue is very necessary."
    The Old Strathcona Business Association can't buy the land because the organization is prohibited from borrowing money under the Municipal Government Act, Richardson said.

The city would likely have to become involved. Ben Henderson, the councillor for the area, said that money could be a problem even though it is an idea worth exploring.

"I'm guessing that would be the obstacle, how we pay for it," Henderson said.

After the length of time Esso has sat on this and the profits that the oil companies are making they should donate the land. It wouldn't even make a blip on their books but would go a long way in the goodwill department.

I'd rather see a building there than some bathrooms, or a public space. There's the little park beside the Library/Farmers Market that's a public space, we don't need one there.

Concur. 4 storey mixed use with ug parking please
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E

^ I agree, but I was at Julios last night and that lot is quite large - I'm sure they could integrate public bathrooms and a small park in with a large 4 story mixed use. Would be a shame not to include some more public space.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing a break in a row of buildings.
    I'd like to see an L-shaped mixed-use building (along neighboring building and alley) with a park out front.

Yes, would be nice if the building had good frontage south along 105th St. I would love to see they Whyte "scene" extend more to the side streets instead of just being a long linear strip.

SDM, I'm fairly sure there are "rules" that any building or renovation to a building in that area has to be brought up to the sidewalk, so you couldn't have an "L" shape there, at least not with something in front (behind, yes).

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I have to say: a skating rink is kind of a cool idea, I don't want to be dismissive of it... but I'd probably lean to a building that addresses both Whyte and 105th, though.

Does anybody else think that the idea of a skate-up bar would be amazing? I mean, at tropical resorts they've got swim-up bars...

Could be a quirky Edmonton take on something like that.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Ander View Post
    Does anybody else think that the idea of a skate-up bar would be amazing? I mean, at tropical resorts they've got swim-up bars...

Ice skates and rowdy Whyte Ave drunks??? I don't think that will go over well haha

Quote Originally Posted by CalanTheHobbs View Post

Ice skates and rowdy Whyte Ave drunks??? I don't think that will go over well haha
    I'd hazard a guess that it would be much safer than being drunk in a pool. The way I see it isn't so much like a club, but more like a park with a license. Think coffee with irish cream, not beer bottles and Jagermeister. Make a little chalet where you can take off your skates and sit by a fireplace for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by CalanTheHobbs View Post

I'd hazard a guess that it would be much safer than being drunk in a pool. The way I see it isn't so much like a club, but more like a park with a license. Think coffee with irish cream, not beer bottles and Jagermeister. Make a little chalet where you can take off your skates and sit by a fireplace for a bit.
    Yeah that can certainly work, if done right. It gets dark in the winter pretty early, so it could be open until 8pm or 9pm. It could be an environment you could bring the family during the day, as well as young adults can enjoy in the afternoon and evening. It could be a gathering place, with an outdoor screen for movies, or something. A restaurant would be nice, one that spills out to the rink-area and would corner Whyte and 105th.

I'd like to see a 4-storey L-shaped development on the corner, with an open alley between the property and Funky Pickle. In the back could be a small park with benches and tables and water structures. There could be a restaurant that could use the park for seating, as well as a coffee shop, or even a pub/bar. Second- and third-floor patios would be nice. A second-floor patio facing Whyte or 105th street would be great for the street.

Oh... and underground parking

C2E SME

So with the way the fences have been moved further onto the sidewalks I'm assuming that remediation is in full swing?

Remediation on this site will be complete by "late winter or early spring". Also:

And as area stakeholders see it, life on the long-dead stretch of street could take one of two forms.

The Old Strathcona Business Association envisions a public square, where Fringe-goers could watch an outdoor play and music lovers could pick up same-day tickets for shows on Whyte Avenue, association president David Richardson. There could be space for secure bike locks and even showers so cyclists can freshen up at the end of their rides. And, perhaps most vital, more public washrooms. [...]

The association can’t legally borrow money, so the purchase of the land would be left to government. In the new year, Richardson said the association will start work on a plan for land and hopes the city and Imperial Oil will come on as partners. [...]

Imperial Oil “would listen to any idea that came along,” Harding said. “But we do plan to market the property for sale.”

City councillor Ben Henderson said he is intrigued by the association’s vision. It’s a priority for him as the area’s representative.

C2E SME

I would be interesting if they could have a park there but it would be hard to see that happen because of how much that land would be worth and there has to be a few companies probably interested in building something there. Anyways if they wanted another park in there area, I think I would rather see it off the main strip, maybe somewhere on 81st or 80th ave.

Unless the City pitches some money to purchase this site, it won't become a park. I would prefer a great office/retail development.

C2E SME

^Which is way more likely to happen.

I think it's a pretty clunky strategy to make it a park. Judging by the comments in the Journal, the motivation is to keep chains away because the lease rates on a new building would be so high. Sorry, I don't sympathise and don't believe it should be a park. Undoubtedly more chains are coming to Whyte and they're not all evil or undesirable.

I could see H&M anchoring a development there if the floorplate warranted it. Maybe not what the locals/indies would want to see...

^ I wouldn't mind an H&M there at all...

www.decl.org

That would be nice; I hope that the City doesn't spend its money buying the land. I just don't see a park as appropriate/desirable for this space.

Just in terms of street facing retail and allowance for patios, I'd like to see something like this:

^that looks like Newbury in Boston... amazing street.

Given the location though, i'd prefer to stay at grade and have a 2nd or higher terrace.
    www.decl.org

A park would be horrible in that location - it's too prime a spot for non-retail to be there.

C2E SME

^^^I love to see something based off of this type of design.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^that looks like Newbury in Boston... amazing street.
    'Tis that indeed. Stayed at the Copley Plaza around the corner from here a few years ago. Had a Cherry Garcia cone from that very Ben and Jerry's.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...-clean-up.html

Clean-up done on former Whyte Avenue gas station site
    CBC News
    Posted: Jun 22, 2012 6:32 AM MT

The clean-up of the old Esso gas station site in the heart of Old Strathcona is now complete.

The site on the southeast corner of Whyte Avenue and 105th Street has sat vacant for 14 years. Last fall, Imperial Oil started removing contaminated soil, a process that was completed in May.

Company spokesman Jon Harding says the land is almost ready to put on the market, possibly by the end of the year.

"We need to carry out some on-site monitoring of the subsurface conditions and this will continue for several months," he said. "Just to ensure that the work that we've undertaken was successful."
    And in related news... the Old Strathcona Business Association is trying to raise funds from local business owners to purchase the property and proceed with their aspirational goal of turning the site into "a public plaza with some retail space". Artist's rendering available at the link.

No plaza—density and storefronts! Old Strathcona has enough public meeting spaces north on 83 ave by the Gazebo. Whyte has enough storefront gaps along the street already. I really feel that block is the place to have 3-4 stories, terracing away from the avenue.

I completely agree. I just wonder if the OSBA will have any luck raising money for this plan.

I would actually think something like this could work in this spot. Obviously on a smaller scale of course.

Don't feed the trolls!

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    Whyte has enough storefront gaps along the street already.
    Yeah, they are parking lots and alleys.

Call me crazy, but having just another faux-historical building there just to fill a gap would be kinda monotonous and boring if you ask me. A plaza with benches, waterworks and "greenfill" surrounded by 2 or 3 retail/resto spaces would be great if done right, and serves as a rest stop at the midway point of the main pedestrian activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    Whyte has enough storefront gaps along the street already.
    Yeah, they are parking lots and alleys.

Call me crazy, but having just another faux-historical building there just to fill a gap would be kinda monotonous and boring if you ask me. A plaza with benches, waterworks and "greenfill" surrounded by 2 or 3 retail/resto spaces would be great if done right, and serves as a rest stop at the midway point of the main pedestrian activity.
    I didn't say a thing about faux historical. I'd be happy with well done modern (better than Fuzion). And it would make a great place for the late-night revelers to puke in!

If they want a plaza then OSBA can buy the site and build that. At the end of the day Imperial is going to sell the land for 'market' value...and that value won't be cheap. I bet they'll fetch over $200/psf for that site.

Yup. Curious to see who and what.
    www.decl.org

Whatever is built there, it'll be the best thing that's ever been on that site.

^Hold that thought while I round up investors for Venetian 2.0 (yes, with actual 2.0 in the name)

I would like to see a building with a rooftop patio similar to black dog.

^2nd floor or rooftop patio = good, but whoever buys this site will need to achieve much more density to make it viable, hence some of the 3-6 storey examples above. Ideally, we would see retail on the main with 2-3 levels of office/prof above. It would be great to establish some additional professional employment in the area to help drive daytime traffic, while increasing demand for housing nearby.
    www.decl.org

I'd like to see something with a scale/design that compliments the post office. Also this would be a prime street level patio area with as small as a barrier as possible between the patio and sidewalk.

How about street-level retail, 2-3 levels of offices, and a floor of 2-storey lofts up top?

C2E SME

I think it would be neat to have an entertainment venue to support the Fringe. Please, no bars or chain retailers.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

They can't have a bar because no new licenses are given out in the area

Restaurant with a bar can work.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I think it would be neat to have an entertainment venue to support the Fringe. Please, no bars or chain retailers.
    I agree with no new bars. Restaurant would be ok. As for chain retailer, ideally I'd rather not see a big national brand store there but unfortunately it's probably at a point that only the large chain retailer is going to be the only ones that can afford to build or lease in that area.

Edmonton's Whyte Avenue prays for angel developer
    Outside help seen as key to drawing more foot traffic, evening shoppers

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...138/story.html

The old gas station site at Whyte Avenue and 105th Street — left vacant and contaminated for 14 years — has been cleaned up, and is expected to go on the market before year end.

The Old Strathcona Business Association says they need a public plaza to give room for festivals, attract more pedestrians and bridge the day and nighttime crowds. But they first tried to convince the city to invest in the multimillion-dollar property, then tried unsuccessfully to fundraise enough to buy the land outright; now they are talking with every interested developer they can, hoping to sell them on the idea of a plaza to bring more pedestrian life to the avenue.
    The business association came up with ideas for the plaza as part of a revisioning exercise with Seattle-based branding and urban development expert Roger Brooks over the summer.

Their plan calls for a sunny, open space with a summer splash park and winter skating rink. Realistically, the plaza would at minimum be ringed with shops, but it’s the size of four to six lots so there is a lot of space, said Davison.

“If you have restaurants in there, and a plaza, that would be wonderful. This would be a central gathering spot,” he said.

Festivals and art walks work well when they shut down the street, but Whyte Avenue is too much of a transportation route to close it often, he said. A plaza would give festivals a permanent, spacious home.

I just hope that whatever they will eventually put in will not involve any consumption of food or drink on-site. There's more than enough of that, both in parks and in restobar joints, all around.

I only endorse a splash park if it's operational until 3am and in the summer drunk girls frollick in it.

In reality, a space like that would be used as a massive urinal.

C2E SME

Hmmmmm, a very valuable lot on a major road in a major retail and restaurant district and the group wants the space to be a non retail area. The company that buys that lot would have to have extremely deep pockets to not completely develop the land to be filled with buildings. Personally I want to see more retail spaces at ground level, and maybe 3 or 4 floors above with offices/retail/residential.

Retail in front, offices above, and a courtyard in the middle ringed with restaurants and quiet shops. Quieter patio dining in the heart of Whyte ave. Put a small fountain in too.

^That makes much more sense.

No courtyard—don't think it's necessary—two stories retail, then two stories office or residential terracing away from Whyte. Maybe three...? Perfect spot for a focused chunk of higher density.

How about a strip mall with parking lot out front?
    *** runs away and hides ***

A new Tim's with a drive-thru and more parking for choppers.

^It would be a great spot for a new gas station :P
    We would share and listen and support and welcome, be propelled by passion not invest in outcomes. We would breathe and be charmed and amused by difference. -Alanis Morissette

LET'S GET 'EM, FOLKS!!

Mob mentality says we need density, anything under 100 stories will make us less than Calgary. Let's build this with Katz's money because we are somehow entitled to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_City_%28Changsha%29

Insert additional forum rant here!

In all honesty, I'm excited for this and hope the property is used in a clever way that adds to Whyte as well as the community capital. Perhaps the usual retail/nightclub combo with a gathering space incorporated.

I hope the Whyte ave Biz assoc can find a partner, but to be fair Gazebo park could meet many of these needs so could closing down the road right infront of the varsconna and the market.

Quote Originally Posted by nick5150 View Post
    LET'S GET 'EM, FOLKS!!

Mob mentality says we need density, anything under 100 stories will make us less than Calgary. Let's build this with Katz's money because we are somehow entitled to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_City_%28Changsha%29

Insert additional forum rant here!
    Wrong thread?
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Posting Power

I'm going to go ahead and say this spot would make a wicked rooftop patio. In my opinion at least.

Maybe it's just because this site has been sitting as empty land for so long, but I kinda crave a shiny new (well done) building rather than a park / square.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Hmmmmm, a very valuable lot on a major road in a major retail and restaurant district and the group wants the space to be a non retail area. The company that buys that lot would have to have extremely deep pockets to not completely develop the land to be filled with buildings. Personally I want to see more retail spaces at ground level, and maybe 3 or 4 floors above with offices/retail/residential.
    Exactly. So unless the OSBA wants to provide a sizable 'grant' to the developer to install this plaza, the land is too expensive and revenue potential too great to incorporate such a feature on this property.

A venue with live entertainment; like a comedy club. Or a ten story hotel.

^ Get Second City http://www.secondcity.com/

Quote Originally Posted by stinger11 View Post
    A venue with live entertainment; like a comedy club. Or a ten story hotel.
    Whyte Ave needs a competitor to On The Rocks. Non-stop cover bands cranking 'em out for drunk girls. Not sure if this is the spot for it, but the area needs one.

Not sure where else to post this, but of note. Lounge/pub going where Queue Clothing was (next to NextAct Pub). Anyone have details?

Job No 133180440-001: To Change the Use from a General Retail to a Minor Eating and Drinking Establishment (120 Seats)
    8216 - 104 STREET NW
    Plan I Blk 67 Lots 5-6
    MCCOY, RANDY
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Well if a restaurant is going there, then that is ok, if it is another bar then not so good.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

It should be a good addition to the neighborhood from the little I know. Should be good for local business.

As of today: For Sale
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast