Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Raymond Block - 6 storeys - Mixed Use - Under Construction

^Good to see!
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

Finally! The end of that vacant lot is closer...
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Hmm, now something like this with a bit more sidewalk space obviously

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jetting...n/photostream/
    Go down a few dark alleys.

^I hear that.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by mnugent View Post
    Hmm, now something like this with a bit more sidewalk space obviously

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jetting...n/photostream/
    Yup that would look good at that corner.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

These would never get built... it has to be faux old in this area (I believe)... but I agree I would love to see something more mod.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

^^^ The lot is only big enough for about a third of that anyway.

But yes, needs to respect the historical character. Lots of ways to do that, mind you ...
    ... gobsmacked

Can we stop with spamming every single thread about brownfield redevelopment with pictures of what could/should be built there? Pretty please? It's getting really old.

C2E is often reduced to a forum about pictures of stuff Edmonton doesn't have.

/rant
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^That lot is a lot bigger than one thinks - it's half a city block long! Same as the Don Weaton sales centre. A reeeeal wild card this lot is going to be, and hot with the community on the "back to the drawing board" button.

I was actually surprised to see a SIGN. Thought talk around town was that someone was just going to call up Esso and make this go through, but I mean... one probably has to shop around for someone with a couple million just kicking around.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Can we stop with spamming every single thread about brownfield redevelopment with pictures of what could/should be built there? Pretty please? It's getting really old.

/rant
    Yeah, who needs or wants inspiration right. Jesus
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    C2E needs more abrasive dictatorial rants.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

/rant
    What a ridiculous post. Stop envisioning what we could turn a brownfield site into? So are we only allowed to talk about rumours and post old pictures? What if I describe something and it paints a picture in your head...is this acceptable?

But thanks, anonymous poster, I'll definitely take your pet peeves into consideration.

------------------

Another thing that I might want to see is some sort of courtyard restaurant in the middle surrounded by retail on the sides.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

First etownboarder try's to stop us posting about a building and now chmilz does pretty much the same thing placing bets they are the same person?

Really darkmagnoblade? They're clearly not the same person.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

And how would you know that?

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Angry

^ Get over yourself. Constructive conversation is what C2E is all about. BS posts saying nothing more than "I am right, you're wrong" over and over and over again add nothing to the conversation/debate.

Time to use the good old block feature me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmagnoblade View Post
    How about because C2E is a community, and many if us have met in person and continue to have constructive discussions and debates. Back off.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    How about because C2E is a community, and many if us have met in person and continue to have constructive discussions and debates. Back off.
    Oh so you think your clearly better then us and we cant have our own threads or post what we want doesn't work like that bucko.

/rant
    Well, last I checked developers don't come to C2E to find out what we want them to build. It accomplishes nothing other than to stroke the ego of the person who found and linked a picture of a cool building.

I'm tired of constantly scrolling past heaps of pointless pictures. Those things don't exist here. If at some point they do, I'll gladly enjoy looking at them.

Also, this is just my opinion, you're all free to ignore it :P
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

/rant
    Well, last I checked developers don't come to C2E to find out what we want them to build. It accomplishes nothing other than to stroke the ego of the person who found and linked a picture of a cool building.

I'm tired of constantly scrolling past heaps of pointless pictures. Those things don't exist here. If at some point they do, I'll gladly enjoy looking at them.

Nothing is forcing you to come to topics with pics in them is there? or does someone have a gun to your head telling you that you must go here and read every thread?

I will take the wishful pics over the inane prattle you contribute on this board.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 20-03-2013 at 07:09 AM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Look at their signup dates. You actually think that etownboarder has been here nearly 6 years, and 4 years ago he decided to create his alter-ego Chmilz to post about similar things? And all this time the admins never caught on that they were posted from the same IP address? Seriously? Do you wear your tin foil hat all the time, or only evenings and weekends?

I hope we see a SOLD sign on this soon. Can anyone get a price on the lot?

C2E SME

Well that ain't too big of a surprise. Well now I"m curious how has the money to pick the property of and build on that property.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

I think we should launch a Kickstarter

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

I will take the wishful pics over the inane prattle you contribute on this board.
    Inane prattle? And here I thought you and I agreed on a great many things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Well that ain't too big of a surprise. Well now I"m curious how has the money to pick the property of and build on that property.
    There are a few out there that have that kind of money.

As long they keep the usual purveyors of local crapitecture far far away from this
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Commentary is good, you have good commentary typically, unfortunately this time you don't.
    www.decl.org

Administrator *

The site is fenced off. Not sure if that's new...

C2E SME

It's been fenced off many a time. I hope something happens soon though. It's been far too long like it has been.

Well for 7 million you can get yourself a piece plot o land.

Unique Whyte Avenue property up for sale

A coveted piece of property has been garnering a lot of interest on Edmonton’s Whyte Avenue.

The piece of vacant lot on 105 Street and Whyte Avenue has been put up for sale by Esso.

However, their asking price may keep many buyers out of the running.

“It’s listed at 7 million 75 thousand which represents just about $235 per square foot,” realtor Jeff McCammon said.

He explained that the land, owned by Esso, has undergone significant cleanup efforts to make it fit for resale.

Read more: http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/unique-wh...#ixzz2TmbzV2Xf

C2E SME

Well I hope some developer does something really nice. 1 or 2 floors of retail, 1 or 2 floors of offices and then maybe another 4 to 6 floors of condos. It's a bit taller than I'd like but my guess is that it would take at least that size to make it worthwhile because of the price of the land.

^I think Whyte Ave height restrictions are 4 stories, if I recall their note on the area's documents. The exception being a hotel.

Could be another hotel... With a price point of over $7M, it will take deep pockets to do much of anything on that land. I am a bit surprised about the cost. Not sure it's worth that. There is a significant amount of empty space around Whyte these days.

^Buildings that take up 1/4 of the lot's space have gone for 2-3 million.

$235 a sqft is pricey... But this location is a premium if there ever was one.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

With the other buildings that are nearby, could they not have a taller building?

No skyscrapers allowed on Whyte Ave

Edmcowboy, how do you mean taller buildings nearby?

C2E Posting Power

Some drilling activity is happening on the site today.

More geo? I heard it sold.
    www.decl.org

Core samples, checking if it's moved and stability. Maybe checking again for the potential buyers? It was quite the set up. About over a dozen holes made, and over 2 dozen samples being examined over the course of two/three days.

C2E SME

Well let's just hope that the right person/company comes along, buys the property and builds something really nice there.

Well let's just hope that the right person/company comes along, buys the property and builds something really nice there.
    Procura! Single story, parking stalls in front.

C2E SME

Oh boy, can't wait!!

Oh boy, can't wait!!
    Sure you can. If it was Procura nothing would ever get built. They'd tease us with a truly awful building, and then never bother building it. It's a totally awesome business plan! Don't tell anyone else their secret

At least this lot has strict rules on what can be built, and the income generated from the site should promise good quality.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

This one's been pretty quiet -- anyone know the status of this lot?

Back in August, Global reported that a sale was imminent:

Another piece of land that’s been of particular interest for developers is on the corner of 105th Street and Whyte Avenue, where the Esso gas station used to sit. The business shut down in 1998, but Davison says there may be a sale in the works for the $7 million site.

“We’ve recently talked to a developer who’s been chosen. They’re still going through the final processes to get it confirmed that the sale is final, and at that point we can announce who they are,” Davison teased.

While he wouldn’t say exactly what’s being talked about, Davison says the development is likely to be a mix of retail and residential spaces.

“From initial conversations it would be about a three or four storey space,” he explained. “So they would have residential on top, maybe two or three floors. They’re looking at professional space as well. And then retail, restaurants, more independent shops on the bottom.”

These ones often take some time and are quite complex.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by mnugent View Post

/rant
    What a ridiculous post. Stop envisioning what we could turn a brownfield site into? So are we only allowed to talk about rumours and post old pictures? What if I describe something and it paints a picture in your head...is this acceptable?

But thanks, anonymous poster, I'll definitely take your pet peeves into consideration.

------------------

Another thing that I might want to see is some sort of courtyard restaurant in the middle surrounded by retail on the sides.
    For a number of reasons, I think posting wish lists, pictures and constructive criticism (no pun intended) is a great role for c2e. Moreover, maybe, just maybe the owner/developer might stumble upon c2e and see the discussion and realize that there are possibilities beyond their own expectations and this might just lead to the real thing being enhanced.

Worse case it's an exercise in fantasy and imagination - and what's wrong with that. It may add to other thread visitor's lives in some way or change expectations for the city in other places and ways.

Hearing that this site is sold and big news is coming soon.

I hope so, such potential there for a wicked mixed use project... how about a mid-rise.
    www.decl.org

Mixed use would be great, but I have worries that it'll just end up like the waste of an opportunity that the Bubbles redevelopment will be.
    Don't feed the trolls!

^Wouldn't a development like that (i.e. a single-storey retail strip) not be profitable enough for this parcel, given the asking price? Wouldn't a developer need to "build up" in order to make this parcel economical? Or am I off-base?

Exactly... it will not be a single storey.
    www.decl.org

There are height restrictions unless its a hotel or the city allows a rezoning.

I hope so, such potential there for a wicked mixed use project... how about a mid-rise.
    Yeah, Top_Dawg can't wait for another Fyooshen Fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckyeg View Post
    There are height restrictions unless its a hotel or the city allows a rezoning.
    4 stories, but site is large enough and distinctive enough to warrant a DC here.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    ^Wouldn't a development like that (i.e. a single-storey retail strip) not be profitable enough for this parcel, given the asking price? Wouldn't a developer need to "build up" in order to make this parcel economical? Or am I off-base?
    You need leasable square footage in order to offset costs and that land did not go for cheap.

How tall is mid-rise? 8-12 stories? That would look imposing in that space. I hope it keeps with the architectural style of the area. I don't want modern. I also don't want generic.

The old hospital is 6/7 stories? And hotel on whyte is 8-10 stories so I don't think it would be out of place. Mixed use 2/3 floors with some higher end condos would be nice

The old hospital is 6/7 stories? And hotel on whyte is 8-10 stories so I don't think it would be out of place. Mixed use 2/3 floors with some higher end condos would be nice

The Raymond Hotel once occupied this lot

From: http://spacing.ca/edmonton/2013/04/0...es-new-places/

Perfect spot for a bit more density, nothing extreme.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

The top two are architectural styles that DO NOT fit with our context. I believe you will see a design that it similar to the last two images you posted.

C2E SME

I agree the top two are a bit out there, but I think what I liked about those is that there could be some style, maybe not as distinctive to those could be used and I still think some sort of balcony, especially if there is a restaurant, could be a great addition.

Hearing that the developer is out there meeting with community groups..

Who is the developer?

C2E SME

I would really like to see something that is architecturally sympathetic to the area but yet still modern in design. It would be really nice to see something though a bit more creative such as an additional walk way mid property to the alley and maybe even some retail bays on the back side of the building. I just want to see something unique put in here.

I can't recall the name of the company, but its backed by money from the US, New York billionaire IIRC.

^^Agreed. Some of my favorite reasons for living and visiting Montreal is that very... 'ambiance' that you mention; full utilization of the property and access, sunlight, corridors... fingers crossed? I think the communities (almost five merge around the Business District?) have some good points to make about being more than 'just a building'. The lot is expensive, and that should carry some weight for some worthy investment, as we've seen.

Wexford is the name of the company who is developing it. I believe they are looking at going up 5 or 6 storeys.

I see that Sam Gordon, Co-founder & Partner, Wexford Development Corporation is speaking at the Real Estate Forum.

http://www.realestateforums.com/edmo...rogram2014.php
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 18-03-2014 at 10:47 PM.

^^Must be a hotel then, or they are getting a development thumbs-up because it must be something special. I can't imagine some one allowing to stories over the regulated height for a half-a-city-block of so-so architecture. Fantastic news.

The preliminary plan presented by the developer outlines a six storey building, with retail space on the main floor, office space above that, and the top floors occupied by high-end rental apartments.
    http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/plan-poss...cona-1.1749679

C2E SME

Good to hear some movement on this, hope this works out so we can finally fill that space.

Good to hear the positive reactions to the number of floors, the communities willingness to accept the scale of such a building as long as it's well designed, and for the company to make such a large investment. Creating a building that will last is a large expense, and the Roots building proved it can look strong, beautiful, and fits with the area's heritage.

High end rental there? Ha
    www.decl.org

^Thought the same myself; however, if done right... but like I said about Studio Off Whyte, you'd better not mind the long lineups outside Billiards and Squires (man they can get rowdy), all day Julios patio, and Buckinghams next door which does live music and has both patio doors open in front and back all summer long, and the music can easily be heard when closed in winter. Make it mid-range or bust. This isn't Garneau where she's off the path... this IS where animals seek prey. Bet the buskers will be a pain for them too. C'est la vie.

Would have loved something like in Tokyo where there is retail main, office above and the top floor 2-3 restaurants or bars with rooftop patios.
    www.decl.org

High end rental there? Ha
    I was somewhat confused about that statement as well. What is their definition of 'high end'. I think this will be more 'market rate' which means expect rents between $1200-2000/month, so not exactly cheap and not high end either.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ears-1.2600880

"A potential obstacle for the development is a bylaw preventing highrises other than hotels on the avenue, but Davison said the project has enough community support, it shouldn't be an issue."

CBC is always a little slow, aren't they... cant wait to see the proposed design.

The same company just announced their first Calgary project. It's pretty amazing. Looks like these guys don't cheap out on design or architecture. I wonder what they paid for the Esso site.

wow... and with their large purchase price, I expect to see something of similar calibre here.
    www.decl.org

wow... and with their large purchase price, I expect to see something of similar calibre here.
    It can only be 6 stories, and is in a provincial historic district, so it is pretty tied to the very specific ARP restrictions.

Which is fine.... but quality
    www.decl.org

Never heard of this developer, but hopefully it will be nice.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Those Calgary renders remind me of Towerbanks head office in Panama City.

http://panamaofficerentals.biz/wp-co...wer-center.jpg

Slick to look at and stands out anywhere in the city. Should be a good addition to Calgary. Hope we get a similar quality design on Whyte.

Land was $7.3 million, if I recollect.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckyeg View Post
    The same company just announced their first Calgary project. It's pretty amazing. Looks like these guys don't cheap out on design or architecture. I wonder what they paid for the Esso site.
    Do you have a weblink to the site the renders came from??

Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

I very much doubt whatever design of whatever height will be well received by the people on here.

It's a historic district, so brick, stucco, and overblown cornicing and other fake retro details, as bored and tired as they are annoying and tasteless, are to be expected unless shown otherwise.

Well, the Roots on Whyte building went over well, didn't it?

Latest news
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/edmonton/Contamination+cleanup+clears+building+Whyte+Avenue/9937546/story.html

EDMONTON - After sitting unused and unkempt more than 15 years, a former gas station site on Whyte Avenue is set for redevelopment if a rezoning application is approved.

The Esso station at 105th Street closed in 1998 and, after a years-long decontamination process, the Calgary-based developer that now owns the multimillion dollar property wants to erect a six-storey, multi-use building.

However, Wexford Development Corp. must first succeed in getting the site rezoned, as only a four-storey building is currently permitted for the site.

The plan appears to have the support of local organizations such as the Old Strathcona Community League and the Old Strathcona Business Association.

Murray Davison, executive director of the business group, said Wexford’s proposal would see a two-storey podium for retail and professional services, topped by apartments on the upper levels.

“We’re really excited to see the development going forward but it all hinges on the rezoning right now,” he said.

The proposed building would maintain a “historic look and feel and vibe” that would tie in with other buildings in the district, he said.

“We need something on that side of the street. It’s right in the core of our historic area so it will be nice to have that developed and utilized properly,” he said. “It’s just a great opportunity.”

A public meeting on the proposal will be held June 18 at 7 p.m. at the Strathcona Community League Hall. The application will go to the city in the fall.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast