Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Raymond Block - 6 storeys - Mixed Use - Under Construction

^Really looking forward to that meeting! Hope to see a good product - but I know I already will. Here's to making sure Whyte ave maintains a leg-up on our walk-able streets.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Very much looking forward to it as well.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

Well I'm really curious to see what goes up here.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Maybe I'll see you guys at the meeting on Wed. I'm planning on going around 7 (meeting with Ben Henderson over infill concerns at 6; hope it doesn't go long).
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Meeting is tonight!
    A public meeting on the proposal will be held June 18 at 7 p.m. at the Strathcona Community League Hall. The application will go to the city in the fall.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Looking forward to what they're proposing. Six storeys (referenced in the Journal article) is not unreasonable IMO.
    Don't feed the trolls!

I think the big argument will be that 6 storeys would block sun from hitting the North side of the Ave (Julios). Would 4 storeys block the sunlight from hitting the sidewalk as well?
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

^Shhh.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I think the big argument will be that 6 storeys would block sun from hitting the North side of the Ave (Julios). Would 4 storeys block the sunlight from hitting the sidewalk as well?
    Using a shadow calculator with 60' (10' per floor), June 21st the shadow would be 39.4' December 316' so winter would be a bit of a problem.
    http://planetcalc.com/1875/

Did Julio's buy air/sun rights at some point?
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Just got back from the presentation. About 40 people there, give or take a few. The sun issue was brought up, and it'll be really bad in the winter (duhhhh), with some shade in the spring and fall, with none in the summer.

Plan is for 2-3 storey podium. First floor will be retail, second floor will be office space, while the third floor will be office space if there's demand. The other 3-4 storeys will be rental apartments, and will be set back a minimum of 2m from the podium (this includes balconies, if there are any). The podium will be Edwardian, to fit in with other buildings in the neighbourhood. Large windows for the retail and office space, and high ceilings. They said it'll be roughly the same height as the hotel across the street (8 storey building) because they want heigh ceilings. The apartments will be high end, going for about $2.50 per s/f. Underground parking of 1.5-2 levels, but that depends on the mix of apartment/office.

The Julio owner was there, and there was an older grumpy couple that I think owned a building across the street; maybe they were the ones that blocked MEAT from opening due to parking last year.

Did they show any renders?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Nope, it's not at that stage yet. That's what I was hoping to see, but I quickly realized they weren't going to show anything; it's just a concept at this point. They had stuff that was similar to what they're proposing though. I don't think they even own the land yet (they obviously want this project to go ahead before buying it).

6 Storeys and similar in height to the Metera Hotel eh...it's going to look imposing.
    It might work if the tower has a setback from the retail podium, that might help.

Perhaps something similar these a la Vancouver.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    6 Storeys and similar in height to the Metera Hotel eh...it's going to look imposing.
    It might work if the tower has a setback from the retail podium, that might help.

Perhaps something similar these a la Vancouver.
    yes, that makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    Yes, the "tower" (which will be 3 or 4 storeys) will be set back at least 2m from the podium.

Sounds like a great plan. Hopefully not too many NIMBY's

There weren't too many there (even the Stantech guy said it was a tame crowd). There were a few owners of the businesses across the street, a bunch of other development people (someone from 555 was there), and a few others. Lots of suits and ties, and very few people that live in the community. I think I was the only one there in a t-shirt (haha). There was someone that asked a lot of questions and was very worried that a massive bar would open (he forgot about the moratorium on bars in the district, and had to be reminded). Someone wanted some green space on the property, and Simon from Stantech shot that down right away, saying they have to maximize the space due to costs.

The thing I took away from the event was that it HAS to be a 6 storey building, or they'll walk away because it won't bring in enough money to make it worthwhile. They're also asking for some changes to allow for larger businesses (like a 300 seat restaurant, for example), to attract a higher value client. The owners (their name escapes me right now) are building to operate the property, which is why they're going higher-end on everything.

Oh, they also said that the building will have activity along 105 st as well; they don't want it to be a "dead wall," but to bring people from the Ave along the street as well. That was good to hear.

Can you tell I didn't take any notes at all?

C2E Posting Power

All sounds good - really glad they feel a 105 street scape is important.... really would expand the social area. Hope its approved!

^^Ha I would have done the same note-wise; this is a huge project for the area. Sad to hear not that many attended, but as Murray Davidson said in countless media reports, the project looks good, the developer is making a high-quality product, and will deliver quality, and the community in-turn has responded well on that info alone, so I could see a silent majority in the 'hood being for it. Figured as much about 105 street interaction. That will be good for the building next door and continuing for Studios Off Whyte and other 81 ave projects in the future, as well as the general area around the city's parking lot. I'm more or less concerned about a variety of retail bays being available - including and besides a large restaurant - and the positioning of it in recognition to the corner (interaction, door etc.) and how the alley is utilized (parking etc). Most residents are pretty okay with the initial proposal, but I think when we get to stage 2, more questions and considerations will be raised. I would really hate for it to steal too much thunder from the old post office clock tower, personally. It would have to be of real quality materials at six stories for many to be on board, and I think the developer is fully aware.

I wouldn't mind if they tried a restaurant on the second floor with a partial balcony that wrapped around the corner of 82 ave and 105 street like many Montreal joints. It would provide views, something new for the establishment running it over other joints in the area, if it's "upscale", then there would be less rabble of a regular Whyte ave patio, and then another portion of resto, or lounge could be on the main floor with a smaller floor-plate with greater room for retail? I dunno, I've just always wished that for Whyte ave having travelled across the world... come on already! I want a boss view.

www.decl.org

At 7.3 million for an old contaminated empty lot... things are pricey no matter what. What's what happens when you put the pressure of a walkable neighbourhood solely on Old Strathcona since the late 70's. Everyone wants to be where the success, money, and people are.

Gotta love how the media focuses on the NIMBYs even if it's only 2 or 3 of them.

Sun shadow study will put issue to rest.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Gotta love how the media focuses on the NIMBYs even if it's only 2 or 3 of them.
    Indeed.... and the drama. I saw one quote bemoaning that dining in the restaurants on the north side of Whyte in the winter will be "unbearable". Really? Unbearable? one can only imagine the back of the person's hand pressed against forehead. unbearable.

At -40C it is unbearable even in the sun. But anyways I do hope this goes through. Did they mention anything about parking (below the building? behind it?).

It would have 1-2 levels UG likely.
    www.decl.org

and concept drawings?
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

First One is Always Free
    Alberta Ave, McCauley, St Albert and Spruce Grove

I like what the proposal sounds like so far. It seems like the people involved have a good sense of what this corner needs. Hopefully it does not get beaten down and end up a mediocre building.
    Luck is the collision that occurs when preparation and opportunity run into each other.

Or so watered down due to opposition that it stalls and becomes not viable.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    and concept drawings?
    See Post # 212, 213.

The comment in the Metro article about increased rent for small mom&pops could potentially be offset by any increase in foot traffic due to the new development (key word: potentially). I'd hate to see popular mainstays like Chicken Scratch pack up and leave. I'm a little sad that Tin Box is gone

So is life, things change, are dynamic... move on.
    www.decl.org

The best thing people can do you is speak at the public hearing.

^^Exactly, the area is looking forward to east-Whyte, 81 ave, and south on 104 st in Strathcona Junction for Old Strathcona to grow and maintain competitive against 118, downtown, and 124th. If the area sits on its hands, there will be no movement and no new areas for business to grow and seek new digs.

"Mom&Pop" shops need spaces besides the Historic Business District to set up and prosper, and if rents are too high they need somewhere to relocate to; again, whether it be on the north side of the river even. Rents are high due to its success and limited spaces. Unless there are more spaces, the rise in rents will increase.

Quote Originally Posted by albertoid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    and concept drawings?
    See Post # 212, 213.

The comment in the Metro article about increased rent for small mom&pops could potentially be offset by any increase in foot traffic due to the new development (key word: potentially). I'd hate to see popular mainstays like Chicken Scratch pack up and leave. I'm a little sad that Tin Box is gone
    Thanks!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    At -40C it is unbearable even in the sun. But anyways I do hope this goes through. Did they mention anything about parking (below the building? behind it?).
    Post 211

1.5-2 levels of parking underground. Due to the recent changes in the parking bylaw in Old Strathcona, they can provide significantly less spots than they're planning. The amount of parking depends on whether floor 3 is office space or apartments (and cost, obviously).

Filling in this gap in the urban fabric can only make Whyte Ave better, done sensitively. I don't understand all the fears here. People need to experience other cities.

More retail bays means more foot traffic means Whyte Ave even more viable for businesses there. Retailing 101.
    www.decl.org

I know... it's funny, the people I know who own businesses on Whyte want even more activity to the area in respect to more early day traffic and evening traffic (7-9 of non-bar customers) and this will only help their businesses. There are a few buildings on Whyte that have residential above (DQ/Jaisel building, and Tutti Frutti/Glam Slam) but with more on-street residents means more people living and visiting, a calming measure to rowdy bars, and more early-day traffic. As the stitches in the fabric become tighter, the big picture becomes more clear. Offices bring lunch and after-work patrons, residential brings just all-round bonuses, and more retail/restos just enhance the area's foot traffic count. Words from Murray, there is little opposition.

Those aren't renderings of the proposal; they're shots of other developments elsewhere that give a feel for what they're pursuing.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Simon from Stantech mentioned that having all those eyes on the street from people in the apartments will provide security to that part of Whyte.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Let's hope the condo's are $2.50 per square foot, or heck even $250! That would be a steal.
    EDACC-EAD-YEGDT FTW!

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KingCalvin View Post
    Let's hope the condo's are $2.50 per square foot, or heck even $250! That would be a steal.
    Rent... Not to buy. They won't be condos.

Quote Originally Posted by KingCalvin View Post
    Yeah, these are rentals. $2.50/square foot per month. So a 2BR, 1000 sq ft would rent for $2500 a month.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

^ Which is not bad for that neighborhood. Compare with Windsor Park which is much older and these will probably have ensuite laundry. Chances are, though, that the apartments will be smaller (500-800 sq ft). A nice addition to that neighborhood. Downside is the noise but really good windows can help with that.

Eve

I was on the Pourhouse patio last Saturday for about 5 hours. Noise wasn't bad at all. Compared to a few years ago before the bike noise bylaw got passed, it was actually downright pleasant.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Chmilz, the CAT Police team was deployed on Whyte Ave at that time, and one of the things they were doing was cracking down on bike noise. This was part of an EPS release:

Motorcycle noise on the Avenue also kept members busy during the most recent CAT deployment. Officers pulled over close to 100 motorcyclists Saturday evening and issued 41 tickets for exhaust infractions (idle or RPM text) and 64 in total for other traffic safety violations.
    But I don't think noise will be that big an issue for the apartments. They'll be sealed up nice and tight with triple-pane windows, though you can sit out on the balcony if you want to soak up the Whyte Ave energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    The Raymond Hotel once occupied this lot

From: http://spacing.ca/edmonton/2013/04/0...es-new-places/
    Neat... thanks for sharing.
    .# # # #
    # # # #.

BTW this goes to council on September 22nd, so we should see some movement by year end? Sounds like everyone is on board and gungho

Don't see it listed on the 22nd, but hopefully soon.

... another key eyesore gone.
    www.decl.org

Wasn't she up for rezoning that day? Sorry, didn't mean building or construction.

Didn't see it on there... but I don't do mornings well.
    www.decl.org

It hasn't been to EDC yet...

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by The coyote View Post

That is a cool looking building. Wouldn't it be nice to see something like that but with better retail/restaurant applications to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The coyote View Post

That is a cool looking building. Wouldn't it be nice to see something like that but with better retail/restaurant applications to it.
    I sure hope not. Whyte Ave isn't Fort Edmonton

Items 3.15 and 3.16 on council meeting Sept 22? Simply referring to the admittance of the proposed 6 story structure is one less step to development in thus site's history.

then I will not bother posting any new buiding thread anymore in here
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Our long Whyte Avenue nightmare is finally over?

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...239/story.html

Edmonton councilllors OK plans for former Whyte Avenue gas station site

By Brent Wittmeier, Edmonton Journal September 22, 2014 7:20 PM

EDMONTON - City council approved bylaw changes Monday that will transform a vacant, fenced-in lot on Whyte Avenue into a six-storey, mixed-use building.

Groundbreaking at the former Esso gas station site on the corner of Whyte and 105th Street — empty since 1998 because of soil contamination — could begin as early as next spring, said Kendal Harazny, principal from the Calgary-based Wexford Developing Corp.

The new space will “have a historical feel,” Harazny said, fitting in with the Edwardian-era buildings in Old Strathcona. Ground floors will include stores and a restaurant with a capacity of up to 260 spaces, along with up to two floors of office space. The top floors will be one- and two-bedroom apartments, set back on a podium.

“This site has kind of been the blight on Whyte Avenue,” said Harazny. “It’s going to be exciting to finally fill in the final gap.”
    Sounds like they made some slight concessions (reduced height by nearly 3 metres and an increased podium setback) to address community concerns. I'm a bit concerned about what exactly a "historic feel" feel may entail -- I would prefer something that isn't trying to be "old timey", but I'll patiently await the renders first.
    Last edited by JamesL; 22-09-2014 at 10:06 PM.

"Coun. Ben Henderson asked administrators about the potential shadows cast on buildings on the north side of Whyte Avenue. The new building won’t impact business on the north side of Whyte Avenue during the summer, he was told."

Seriously???

Shadows play a ridiculously tiny part in the grand scheme of things, it's more of a NIMBY protest than an actual issue.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Excellent news
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    "Coun. Ben Henderson asked administrators about the potential shadows cast on buildings on the north side of Whyte Avenue. The new building won’t impact business on the north side of Whyte Avenue during the summer, he was told."

Seriously???

Shadows play a ridiculously tiny part in the grand scheme of things, it's more of a NIMBY protest than an actual issue.
    Well, the public meeting held in the Strathcona Community League had a number of people that owned businesses on the North side of the street in attendance. Henderson was doing his job by asking the administrators about it, and he received his response. Smart man.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Our long Whyte Avenue nightmare is finally over?

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...239/story.html

Edmonton councilllors OK plans for former Whyte Avenue gas station site

By Brent Wittmeier, Edmonton Journal September 22, 2014 7:20 PM

EDMONTON - City council approved bylaw changes Monday that will transform a vacant, fenced-in lot on Whyte Avenue into a six-storey, mixed-use building.

Groundbreaking at the former Esso gas station site on the corner of Whyte and 105th Street — empty since 1998 because of soil contamination — could begin as early as next spring, said Kendal Harazny, principal from the Calgary-based Wexford Developing Corp.

The new space will “have a historical feel,” Harazny said, fitting in with the Edwardian-era buildings in Old Strathcona. Ground floors will include stores and a restaurant with a capacity of up to 260 spaces, along with up to two floors of office space. The top floors will be one- and two-bedroom apartments, set back on a podium.

“This site has kind of been the blight on Whyte Avenue,” said Harazny. “It’s going to be exciting to finally fill in the final gap.”
    Sounds like they made some slight concessions (reduced height by nearly 3 metres and an increased podium setback) to address community concerns. I'm a bit concerned about what exactly a "historic feel" feel entail -- I would prefer something that isn't trying to be "old timey", but I'll patiently await the renders first.
    The ARP requires traditional elements in new developments - I doubt they are going to recreate a 1900 building - just give is a historical feel

C2E SME

Now I'm very curious to see what will be built there. Hopefully we can start seeing some prep work start sooner than later.

C2E Posting Power

^ Ground breaking is planned as early as next spring, construction complete by mid-2017, according to this Edmonton Journal article:
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin..._lsa=81e5-b11c

Sorry! Just realized I've repeated JamesL's post from yesterday evening...

Should rename this thread Raymond Block

Anyone know why they're dosing on site the last few days?

C2E Posting Power

Tervita Construction is active on site today with an excavator. Tervita's website indicates that they specialize in providing enviomental solutions, including site remediation and construction of barriers and containment solutions.

Wow, not wasting any time!

C2E SME

Good to hear, I can't wait to see this property finally filled.

Wexford was trucking a ton of dirt off site today.

C2E Posting Power

The excavator was loading the dump trucks very carefully (even gingerly) today. To my untrained eye, it looked like they were being cautious not to create any clouds of dust. Are they still concerned about environmental contaminants perhaps, or are there other reasons for the slow careful approach?

^Likely just being cautious so they aren't creating that much of an offsite nuisance.

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    Tervita Construction is active on site today with an excavator. Tervita's website indicates that they specialize in providing enviomental solutions, including site remediation and construction of barriers and containment solutions.
    They also do a bunch of piling work as well.

The name Cactus Club is being thrown around for this development....
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

I could very much see that there... would make a killing.
    www.decl.org

It would be a solid addition to their current Edmonton locations. It would by far be the most profitable.
    Don't feed the trolls!

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieA View Post
    It would be a solid addition to their current Edmonton locations. It would by far be the most profitable.
    It would do killer business. Not sure about being the busiest...ever tried getting a table on a Fri/Sat at their Jasper location?

C2E Continued Contributor

Cactus Club would be a fantastic addition there!

Jasper...
    www.decl.org

Blech. Less chain, more local concept.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Not on that site for that $
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    It's done in lots of other cities. Why not here?

Well, they better get used to being Bucked and Dog'ed from the folks next door if they open up. Cactus clientele might be different then than Jasper. Then again.. their lounge coould classy-up some folk on Whyte? What ever, I know lots of folk who would go there and still consider it "Whyte Ave" as always. What was previously nothing is now something. Works for most of us in the 'hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    It's done in lots of other cities. Why not here?
    Last time I checked, many tenants on Robson, St. Cath, Queen West, Stephen Ave were not mom and pop shops...
    www.decl.org

Sorry, which of the above is a heritage district?

Cactus Club (or any of its chain-like ilk) on Whyte will just dumb down and cheapen the whole experience. Too bad.

But there's hope. I hear rumours of a McDonald's on Whyte. Won't that be something!!!!!!
    ... gobsmacked

^disagree.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post

Cactus Club (or any of its chain-like ilk) on Whyte will just dumb down and cheapen the whole experience. Too bad.

But there's hope. I hear rumours of a McDonald's on Whyte. Won't that be something!!!!!!
    The "hip, independent" vibe died when Le Chateau opened up, the grave was dug when they put up the Disneystorical building where Albert's used to be & then buried by the DQ Grill & Chill.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post

The "hip, independent" vibe died when Le Chateau opened up, the grave was dug when they put up the Disneystorical building where Albert's used to be & then buried by the DQ Grill & Chill.
    I disagree with your characterization of Main on Whyte. When John Day opted to go with a heritage look with his redevelopment it was a good thing. Many other developers could have opted to go with the cheap one-storey strip retail that didn't really fit that well into the neighbourhood, but he didn't.
    Last edited by ScottieA; 15-10-2014 at 09:50 AM.
    Don't feed the trolls!

I would suggest the "hip, independent vibe" endures on the east end of Whyte. From 96st to 87st there are great independent businesses. The super useful millcreek corner along with, say, Mike's Bikes further along. A well-run Honest Muirs/Gallagher's would be a nice complement to the always busy Duggan's Boundary.

The Quarters BRZ appears to be working. Many early successes.

I disagree with your characterization of Main on Whyte. When John Day opted to go with a heritage look with his redevelopment it was a good thing. Many other developers could have opted to go with the cheap one-storey strip retail that didn't really fit that well into the neighbourhood, but he didn't.
    His efforts & heart may be in the right place, but the execution has, to me, always been a bit...off.

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Well then, explain how exactly it's off.
    Don't feed the trolls!

There is not a lack of independent shops, in my opinion, only a lack of space and good spaces to open up shop for the best value. If we are talking 106 to 102 st... There are quite a few independents. When you plan to open a giant million-something dollar building on 7 million dollar land then you'll want a reliable tennant. The DQ opened because it is reliable, as per the landlord's direct decision. He's a true and true business man. More traffic from this will benefit others.

The massing, window shape/size/placement/materials & facade are all off from what a historical building would have. It's a modern building with a fauxstorical veneer that's blatantly apparent from the instant the building is visible.

highlander

I doesn't look like a historical building, but I don't see that it's really trying to look like one. It's a building that has massing and a visual footprint that's respectful of the overall strip, but it's a fully contemporary 200-whatever building that's neither cheap copy and paste nor show-stopping modern, and that's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    I would suggest the "hip, independent vibe" endures on the east end of Whyte. From 96st to 87st there are great independent businesses. The super useful millcreek corner along with, say, Mike's Bikes further along. A well-run Honest Muirs/Gallagher's would be a nice complement to the always busy Duggan's Boundary.

The Quarters BRZ appears to be working. Many early successes.
    Agreed. Actually, the times we take the streetcar to Whyte - we turn left at 103 street now - check out Blush Market, Calli's Teas etc.

There's still lot of attraction along west Whyte too - but bit by bit, it's being turned into just another street.

Rents being what they are - guess that's inevitable - but I can still (and do) lament the changes.
    ... gobsmacked

But it is evolution and indie's will open east, south, west, north... thereby expanding a cool neighbourhood.
    www.decl.org

^Agree in fully and that's what should be praised. If you consider the "non-independents" on Whyte (in the section we are stressing) there is really only Chapters, DQ, Starbucks, and Second Cup... (can we include Army&Navy?) and the rest are great businesses that add to the area. I don't see this "take over" by big money that everyone else sees. Bars and restaurants eat up most of the retail space, so therefore there is a lack of prime space... there are also three hotels and churches, auto dealerships... there is not a lot of current space. Cactus Club is not a nail n the independence coffin of Whyte Ave for the "independents" currently and will foreseeably outnumber "chains". The diversity still exists and is expanding.

As for the "faux-historical" look, brick and a sturdy facade with good street presence isn't, IMO, faux, it's just well made and respects the interaction with pedestrians and the street to continue and provide good street character and interaction. I know many people want modern, but glass or brick, it's a good building in the end (even concerning Main and Whyte). Every run-down street sees low rents and small store success, then big guys move in for the higher rents, and the little guys pop up somewhere else and continue the growth.

Count the "independent stores - even between 106st to 101 st - and you'll see the "coffin" is still open. I'm highly optimistic and pleased at rejuvenating and maintaining growth in a historical district which was stagnant for some time.

Did we know how deep the parkade was btw?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast