Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Raymond Block - 6 storeys - Mixed Use - Under Construction

C2E Continued Contributor

7/11 is a net loss.

Net loss to whom?
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I thought this might turn into an urban Best Buy similar to 17th ave in Calgary or something of the sort. Seems like a good chance for a large block of space like Chapters down the street.

The market gets what the market wants I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    It just seems really odd to go head-to-head with an established restaurant
    Ever heard of Hotelling's Law?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Nope, but I'll listen to whatever you have to say about it.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Nope, but I'll listen to whatever you have to say about it.
    It goes on to state how similar business's may jockey for best position along a single road, but ultimately will end up right close to each other for equal business. There is a short little video describing it with two cart vendors on a beach. Applies to not only business locations, but products served etc.

Example from Wiki
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotelling%27s_law

"Suppose that there are two competing shops located along the length of a street running north and south, with customers spread equally along the street. Each shop owner wants to locate his shop such that he maximises his own market share by drawing the largest number of customers. In this example, the shop itself is the 'product' considered and both products are equal in quality and price. There is no difference in product to the customers. Therefore, each customer will always choose the nearest shop because there is no difference in product or price."

Would neatly explain Hotel row along Stony Plain out west.

Also I see no issue with 7/11 although it would be nice to have a bit more variety - I'd like to see a standalone circle K there instead as a convenience store.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    Would neatly explain Hotel row along Stony Plain out west.

Also I see no issue with 7/11 although it would be nice to have a bit more variety - I'd like to see a standalone circle K there instead as a convenience store.
    Ha yeah thats quite the development of all brand new hotels.

We have a Circle K by my house, prefer that 10x over a 7-11.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Net loss to whom?
    I want to hear you argue the 7/11 on Jasper next to the Union Bank Inn is a net benefit to the area? How about 104 st?

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Net loss to whom?
    I want to hear you argue the 7/11 on Jasper next to the Union Bank Inn is a net benefit to the area? How about 104 st?
    Are we writing into by-laws their use to exclude convenience stores?
    They are used. They provide rent. They are reliable tenants. 1 or 2 "down and out" folks hanging around on the street is hardly the sole fault of a 7-11. While it might be "unfortunate" for the CRU to go to such a use, what a convenience store provides to a Main Street and busy walkable area like Old Strathcona, or Jasper Ave Downtown is that it provides and is allowed to be there, if so successfully. The 3 Macs stores along Whyte from 106 street to 99 street are not the armpits of society.

Sounds good for the leasee, sounds good for corporate ownership. Still waiting to hear how it benefits citizens of the area. "1 or 2 down and out folks..." and Jasper ave. downtown as a "...busy, walkable area.." tells me you don't spend much time there. Oh and since the Esso on 99th and Whyte became a 7/11 it's definitely taken on a greater armpit funk (to be fair it was always bad).

^Depends on the time of the day, and I don't drive. Agree on the intersection on 99st always having a "funk". But I argue you can't restrict it, and that you cannot Luxury-ify whole areas to keep the rabble away. Community benefit: convenience store. Lateral benefit. Doesn't have to be a fancy chocolatier. I'm neither defending nor chastising 7-11's. It's a permitted use.

At least there's no ******* banks here.

I'm fine with 7-11, less fine with Blaze. Ma and pa convenience stores hardly ever offer a stellar experience. Blaze is power centre REIT suburb food, and chains are slowly taking over Whyte.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Are we ignoring the fact that they gave their biggest, prime corner to a local, success story restaurant/cafe?

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Blaze is power centre REIT suburb food, and chains are slowly taking over Whyte.
    This would explain why they're in the Brewery District? Probably not.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^Most of the Brewery District tenants would not be out of place in a "power centre REIT suburb", though: Shoppers, Petland, Starbucks, Goodlife, Supplement King, Cobs, Winners, South Street... aside from Tokiwa Ramen and the forthcoming Frontier Handhelds (and, I guess, MEC), there's not a lot of unique retail there.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Blaze is always busy on 4th street in Calgary in Mission. That’s a street that Whyte Ave could look up to.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Personally found Blaze Pizza takeout from Brewery District to be pretty bland. I’m not saying Famoso is amazing but it’s a step above all around from Blaze.

C2E SME

I think it would be nice if some successful businesses from other cities could come in and establish locations in places like the Raymond Block. I really do like when you see variety of brands.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

^

Kinda related, I know that ReGrub place is doing really well in CGY where they started...Don't know how their EDM location is doing just off Whyte beside O2's, but I feel like being in the Raymond Block would have been a better stop to launch here. That being said, for all I know they are doing very well for where they are, I haven't even walked through the door yet.

^I've thought about going many times, before realizing that I don't really need a milkshake with two donuts served on top of it.

Looks like they've topped off Raymond Block as of this morning. This is supposed to be completed by late summer IIRC and they seem to be on track for that.

Keeping my fingers crossed for very high quality cladding and podium materials/implementation. That will make or break the project IMO.
    Last edited by Concrete Jungle; 08-02-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Net loss to whom?
    They are used. They provide rent. They are reliable tenants. 1 or 2 "down and out" folks hanging around on the street is hardly the sole fault of a 7-11. While it might be "unfortunate" for the CRU to go to such a use, what a convenience store provides to a Main Street and busy walkable area like Old Strathcona, or Jasper Ave Downtown is that it provides and is allowed to be there, if so successfully. The 3 Macs stores along Whyte from 106 street to 99 street are not the armpits of society.
    Well, the 99th street and the middle one definitely both are. The 99th Street area as a whole is a complete cesspool, and there's usually at least 2-3 REALLY sketchy, rough-looking hobos parked right in front of that Mac's. The one across from the organic market isn't usually SO bad (not nearly as bad as it used to be), but the next one down usually has 1-2 creepers hanging about. Heard one guy complaining to a cop that "it's a free country!" and he could park his butt wherever; the cop pointed out that right in front of Mac's is private property, so he can't just lurk their and bug their potential customers .

Raymond Block is rather centralized and has a lot of stuff around it, so we'll see what happens there- it's a little too "in the way" for sketchbags to hang around and bother people consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Net loss to whom?
    Well, the 99th street and the middle one definitely both are. The 99th Street area as a whole is a complete cesspool, and there's usually at least 2-3 REALLY sketchy, rough-looking hobos parked right in front of that Mac's. The one across from the organic market isn't usually SO bad (not nearly as bad as it used to be), but the next one down usually has 1-2 creepers hanging about. Heard one guy complaining to a cop that "it's a free country!" and he could park his butt wherever; the cop pointed out that right in front of Mac's is private property, so he can't just lurk their and bug their potential customers .

Raymond Block is rather centralized and has a lot of stuff around it, so we'll see what happens there- it's a little too "in the way" for sketchbags to hang around and bother people consistently.
    The cops go away, they will just come back later. I've noticed convenience stores seem to have become hobo magnets. I don't know if busyness or location will affect that much.

Net loss to whom?
    I really try to avoid the 104 st one, its a bit of a panhandler crowd there. I don't know if there is much that 7/11 can do, but it can't be good for business.

Latest shot from the webcam:

source: https://app.oxblue.com/open/wexford/raymondblock

C2E Long Term Contributor

Add in Mezzo, Southpark and the redevelopment of those lots east of the Keg and we have a significantly more vibrant and active Whyte Avenue.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Mezzo is back on? Haven't heard much about it since the news release about them being denied.

This area is truly going to change once all those projects are completed.

^I'm pretty sure they were working on it the other day when I passed by.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Its being used as a lay down lot for Raymond.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Net loss to whom?
    I really try to avoid the 104 st one, its a bit of a panhandler crowd there. I don't know if there is much that 7/11 can do, but it can't be good for business.
    Fining people who give money to them. They stay because people will hand them cash out of misguided compassion, not realizing they're just feeding addictions.

Quote Originally Posted by BalancedOP View Post

Its being used as a lay down lot for Raymond.
    Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Net loss to whom?
    Fining people who give money to them. They stay because people will hand them cash out of misguided compassion, not realizing they're just feeding addictions.

Top_Dawg rarely gives money to panhandlers.

But he would rather give money directly to some down and out panhandler feeding his/her addiction to drugs or alcohol.

Than give it to some social agency with multi layers of useless dogfuckers in management all addicted to easy money.

I agree 100%

So sad, bunch of places to eat when it should have been a 600 seat neighborhood pub ........
    ... gobsmacked

Great tenant mix. Would love a Miniso Downtown.
    www.decl.org

Miniso?! That's awesome. I'm also kinda excited about Five Guys, even though it's a US chain.

Lots of bars already in the area... love the addition on Miniso and that's great for the area and great tenant mix indeed. Remedy will be a great addition due to the hours they have and range of offerings. Stoked.

The tenants are straight outta Griesbach or the Brewery District or any of the other recent strips, which isn't a bad thing but certainly a yardstick for how much Whyte has changed over the last 20 years.

There was a time where chain stores of any sort on Whyte were perceived as a negative for the area & now people are cheering for relatively nice but utterly generic chains.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Five Guys! Love it. That'll attract a lot of the bar patrons late at night. Smart place for them to setup shop.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    The tenants are straight outta Griesbach or the Brewery District or any of the other recent strips, which isn't a bad thing but certainly a yardstick for how much Whyte has changed over the last 20 years.

There was a time where chain stores of any sort on Whyte were perceived as a negative for the area & now people are cheering for relatively nice but utterly generic chains.
    Also not super thrilled with the announced tenants. If Whyte Ave ends up going too overboard with the same generic chains found everywhere else in the city it risks destroying the unique character and charm of the street. Whyte Ave is a destination largely because of its historical/heritage setting and independent retailers and restaurants/bars.

Why aren't local non-generic shops/bars/restaurants stepping up to the plate?

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Rent is high, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    Rent is high, maybe?
    The same reason Whyte is full of chains, bars, and pot shops now, and will continue to be so.

All the more reason more opportunities for this kind of development and mixed-use walkable shopping neighbourhoods need to be expanded and maintained. To allow a diverse rent range and building age for a variety of tenants across town. This building wasn't cheap. They want good reliable rent paying tenants. Plenty of spaces to open up and be filled or infilled along Whyte and 104 st, East Whyte has lots of space. There is room to grow and thrive for independent shops of all kinds in Old Strathcona. The place is evolving like any other nieghourhood of its kind. The upside is that there was "nothing" here prior. So displacement wasn't an issue thankfully. Beljan's developments should bring some much needed new energy to the area to and 81 ave is growing in style.

I certainly didn't expect small shops to open here. The price for these bays was always going to be high, making it difficult to attract new, small shops. As GenWhy? said, there's lots of space available for smaller shops along Whyte.

I didn't expect it to be independents, but I hoped that it'd not be the same chains that are the backbone of every slightly-upmarket retail strip from the last 5 years. Plus miniso.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

High rent prices isn't necessarily a bad thing... retailers will have to look for other places to set up shop instead i.e. east Whyte or 124st.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    Rent is high, maybe?
    This. Prior to the 2000s era, Whyte had limit drinking establishments. It was primarily independent establishments. Post Reebar night club era with its success, all the club's and bars became a trend to the area. Modern time, it is franchises.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E SME

Welcome to the evolution of retail streets. Lots of mom and pops on Robson in Vancouver, too!

Investors and banks like chains with proven track records - tend to be more leery of independents - even those with good business plans.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Welcome to the evolution of retail streets. Lots of mom and pops on Robson in Vancouver, too!
    Yup! It is way different than when Vancouver first became popular in very early 90s. Gradually, the corporates pushed moms and pops out with the help with our wallets. I think we are as much to blame for the demise of indies.

"Six storeys high and overshadowing the historic Post Office steeple across the street, the soon-to-open Raymond Block building on Whyte Avenue and 105th Street is getting nods of approval from residents and people working in the area."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...568674?cmp=rss
    Last edited by S3RI3S; 08-03-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Great to see a well rounded approval. 25+ years of waiting is about to come full circle for this boy!
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 08-03-2018 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckyeg View Post

“Urban inner city” strategy for Wexford

Wexford owns properties in Alberta, Arizona

Wexford Developments now has $180 million in assets under management in Alberta and Arizona. On its own and through partnerships it has invested, developed and/or managed about $350 million in assets since its inception in 2014.
    Holdings include the Arch, an apartment high rise in Calgary’s Beltline neighbourhood in partnership with Cidex; a building in the permitting stage in the Beltline in partnership with Oxford Developments; a business park in Sherwood Park, just east of Edmonton; and several properties in Tempe, Ariz., and Grande Prairie, Alta.
    Harazny says the firm is looking at new development deals in Kelowna, B.C., and Arizona.
    “We are currently in the process of purchasing a site in the arena district (of Edmonton) for a high-rise residential tower and we recently purchased a small retail building on Whyte Avenue.
    “We would like to own as much real estate on that street as we can,” he says.
    Harazny says in future projects he would like to again use the services of OxBlue, the company which provides the time-lapse camera now documenting the rise of the Raymond Block.
    “We have investors all over the U.S. and Canada. It’s a great way for them to watch their investment at work. It’s a great way for us to keep an eye on things . . . make sure deadlines are being met and what’s happening on site.”
    To watch construction on the Raymond Block, go to: https://app.oxblue.com/open/wexford/raymondblock
    Anyone know what property they are looking to purchase? Or has it been purchased?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by barhonda View Post
    High rent prices isn't necessarily a bad thing... retailers will have to look for other places to set up shop instead i.e. east Whyte or 124st.
    high rents per square foot aren’t the issue. retail tenants don’t rent space per square foot. they rent space per foot traffic of customers walking past their storefronts. that traffic is as valuable for independents as it is for chains. if there’s an inclination to favour chains, it’s probably the project lender’s preference for the covenant of a chain vs an independent as much of more than a developer’s or owner’s preference.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I assume you're refering in general or for this area?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I like this project. It's supposed to be ready what September?

I didn't know the car dealership land was up for development. Is that the Kosh dealership? I know Murray very well.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    in general - which would include this area...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Good to see Remedy is getting a presumably larger space on Whyte. I get that they’re basically a chain now but they’re still a local group. Will be nice to have another cafe on the south side of the ave too.

Ken, I would imagine, in current time line, this is very poignant as corporates are beyond deep with their pockets than ma and pa. This area was not always as such, and i m sure you would agree with that as we're no longer spring chickens and witnessed the origin of this area. That said, mid 90s saw a lot of ma and pas exiting this paradigm due to escalated costs of engagement; culminate that with corporate greed, ma and pa couldn't compete hence why i have lost the lust for this area.

C2E SME

The building is looking nice. Can't eait for the facade to be put in place.

Nice mix of tennants.

Tons of pictures:

https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/forum/threads/edmonton-raymond-block-m-6s-wexford-developments-dialog.24764/page-4#post-1305107

About a metre or two off the residential lobby on the SW corner. A substantial setback at the loading parking entrance too.
    Last edited by GenWhy?; 15-03-2018 at 03:30 PM.

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

When I've driven past this building, at least to me it doesn't seem all out of place as some would have us believe.

I know, it's good, and we need more like it.

Yes, a real bang up job they're accomplishing here !!

I'm excited to see what they do with the property they bought downtown(Ice District Sales Center) after seeing how this project is turning out.

@ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

That minor shade was probably welcomed by many in that vicinity today and the rest of this week.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Slightly off topic but in the area, my wife told me the big area by Royal pizza is all gated off with blue fencing. What's going on in there? Anyway
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Slightly off topic but in the area, my wife told me the big area by Royal pizza is all gated off with blue fencing. What's going on in there? Anyway
    The big parking lot across from The Keg and Royal Pizza?

Cidex, as part of the Jasper 95st deal, purchased this site as well and has plans for 2 mid-rise towers, public parking within/not sure if UG or not, some low-rise residential and a significant amount of new street-fronting retail.

Curious to see what the design looks like.
    www.decl.org

There's this...

Job No 234117374-001: To change the use from General Retail to Health Services.
    10433 - 80 AVENUE NW Plan I26 Blk 44 Lots 9-12,25-32,OT
    INTEGRITY DEVELOPMENT
    QUEEN ALEXANDRA

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Cidex, as part of the Jasper 95st deal, purchased this site as well and has plans for 2 mid-rise towers, public parking within/not sure if UG or not, some low-rise residential and a significant amount of new street-fronting retail.

Curious to see what the design looks like.
    Purchased Raymond Block? How would they put two mid-rise towers here? This is just nearing completion...

Site across from Keg a block south.

We should prob find the thread on it... there is one.
    www.decl.org

Saturday, June 2, 2018:

Construction crane is being taken down.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

I'm starting to get excited to see this stretch have businesses and activity.

Surprised work on the podium finishings hasn't commenced yet. This is supposed to be completed by the early fall if I recall correctly.

June 30, by me:

I like the way building's mass imposes itself on the streetscape. Hopefully the finished product is worthy of its prominence.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Job No 178340999-022
    Description: To Operate a Restaurant with 97.90m2 of Public Space (Five Guys)
    Plan I Blk 62 Lots 21-27
    Applicant: HANSON ARCHITECT
    Create Date: 7/3/2018 2:27:32 PM

C2E SME

I think this will really help move more pedestrian traffic to this side of the avenue. Looking forward to seeing businesses opening up.

Is the corner CRU spoken for?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Remedy I believe.
    www.decl.org

Oh wow... they must be doing very well. Not surprising I guess. It's a winning formula they've come up with.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

I might have to move from my normal downtown perch

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor View Post
    Is the corner CRU spoken for?

https://omada-cre.com/listings/raymond-block/

Wooo... so there are still two bays unoccupied. Thanks for posting that, James!

Job No 178340999-023
    Description: To Operate a Restaurant with 118m2 of Public Space (Blaze Pizza)
    Plan I Blk 62 Lots 21-27
    Applicant: HANSON ARCHITECT
    Create Date: 7/4/2018 8:34:13 AM

Administrator *

Wow that seems like a pretty small space for a Five Guys. I bet it will be the busiest one in Edmonton, especially in the summer.

C2E SME

I wouldn't be surprised if their strategy is to have more people buying their burgers or fries and have them walking up and down whyte ave for other people to see what they can also buy.

Seems like a typical size for an urban setting in other cities I've seen.

The 5 Guys at Capilano Mall is about that size.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast