Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: panhandlers

Default panhandlers

whats everyones view on panhandlers? ive noticed very very few of them on whyte ave lately, where as it used to be completely out of control.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Ah, I usually get hit up on Whyte. I politely tell them I can't spare change and move on. It's annoying, but it doesn't wreck my day.

What I don't like are the panhandlers that have a sob story and ask for a larger sum of money ($5+) because of ________ (insert sob story reason there). There's one guy that I've met up with twice in the past year, once just off Whyte, and another time in a South Edmonton Common store, who has this long story about how he's here from Saskatchewan and his truck broke down and he just needs $40 to get it fixed, and people here are so mean and he just wants to get back home... BS! If I see him again I'm going to take a photo of the guy, and call the cops.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Walk by them, if they stop you say a friendly no, walk on.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I can't stand them. I never give them anything, except a "no". I just keep walking and don't even look at them.

"sorry, no change today" and keep moving.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Ah, I usually get hit up on Whyte. I politely tell them I can't spare change and move on. It's annoying, but it doesn't wreck my day.

What I don't like are the panhandlers that have a sob story and ask for a larger sum of money ($5+) because of ________ (insert sob story reason there). There's one guy that I've met up with twice in the past year, once just off Whyte, and another time in a South Edmonton Common store, who has this long story about how he's here from Saskatchewan and his truck broke down and he just needs $40 to get it fixed, and people here are so mean and he just wants to get back home... BS! If I see him again I'm going to take a photo of the guy, and call the cops.
    I have seen this man 3 times! He is very crazy, storming off when you decline (poor thing).
    I have never had a problem after saying a polite no on Whyte, however, bad things have happened around transit stops and LRT stations to other people who declined smokes.

^ Seen this guy in the Terwilliger area/Magrath area. he had a few suckers give him money as I observed him from a distance after hearing the similar story...

He's a shorter guy, right? Rambles on and on? He first stopped me to ask for directions someplace both times, then launched into his story.

just 100% ignore them. no eye contact, no communication of any kind.

I had some douche nozzle knock on my door at 11:30 pm last week asking for 5 bucks so he can get a cab to "go see his (sob, sob) sick daughter in the St. Albert hospital".

I slammed the door in his face.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by qaz79 View Post
    just 100% ignore them. no eye contact, no communication of any kind.
    might be a dick move but i maintain eye contact when i say no... i feel no guilt

How bout the guy that stands in the centre medium at intersections with a sign saying he needs money to get back to Nova Scotia. He's been at it so long now that he could have walked back.

He's usually at 137 and St Albert Trail. But I have seen him on the south side as well.

In TO a few years ago City TV followed a female panhandler back to her BMW and all the way back to her 10000 sqf home in Richmond hill. Her Husband was a lawyer and new his wife was doing it.

Depends on where im going / how soon I have to be there.

I like to engage when I have time and enquire to why they need the money. Then make a decision from there.
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

There was a guy who walked up to me while I was having my muffin and a pop at Sunterra in City Centre who told me that he came from sask for his mother's funeral and asked me for help to buy him something. I remember it was a very cold day, but I first told him I didn't have change and wouldn't leave me alone, so after I practically slobbered on my pop bottle, I gave it to him to finish.

I was surprised there were no mall cops around to stop the guy. I thought they weren't allowed to panhandle indoors.

Addicted to C2E

Their numbers have really really gone down in last couple of years. I live in north DT and even here we see a lot fewer of them.
    If approached, just say "sorry" and move on. Never ever try to argue/ make eye contact/ tell them to f*** off- some of these guys have mental issues and can turn quite aggressive. It's not worth the trouble.

I started a new thing: if I see them approaching, when they get close I stop and ask if they can spare some money so I can buy even nicer shoes.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Partially Addicted to C2E

I have not encountered any problems with the panhandlers. The way I see it, their problems are much worse than mine, and if them asking me for a few dollars is going to make me upset, then I live a pretty good life. If I don't have any change, I will simply say "no". I won't treat them as if they are the scum of the earth. If I have change, I will give it-- if they aren't high/intoxicated. Yes, I know the money I give them will likely go towards their habit, but I'd rather they get the money from me than, perhaps, stealing.

My experience is this: If you treat them like a human, and say no, they won't hassle you.

Quote Originally Posted by EscoffierLivesOn View Post
    I have not encountered any problems with the panhandlers. The way I see it, their problems are much worse than mine, and if them asking me for a few dollars is going to make me upset, then I live a pretty good life. If I don't have any change, I will simply say "no". I won't treat them as if they are the scum of the earth. If I have change, I will give it-- if they aren't high/intoxicated. Yes, I know the money I give them will likely go towards their habit, but I'd rather they get the money from me than, perhaps, stealing.

My experience is this: If you treat them like a human, and say no, they won't hassle you.
    So you're one of the guys that perpetuates the problem. Median-panhandler-bozo and I-need-a-dollar-to-get-a-bus-ticket-back-home-liar wouldn't exist if you stopped paying them.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post

So you're one of the guys that perpetuates the problem. Median-panhandler-bozo and I-need-a-dollar-to-get-a-bus-ticket-back-home-liar wouldn't exist if you stopped paying them.
    In another thread, I read that you have wanted to "Take a hammer to the homeless douchetards in the backalley", or something to that extent.

With that said, don't expect me to reply to you regarding this matter.

I made my annual visit downtown to attend a medical appointment; walked quite a bit and only encountered one panhandler who told me to "have a nice day"! Have the rest of them moved to Vancouver?

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post

In another thread, I read that you have wanted to "Take a hammer to the homeless douchetards in the backalley", or something to that extent.

With that said, don't expect me to reply to you regarding this matter.
    Want to provide a link to that quote?

I call them "story bums". Sometimes the tales of woe can be so farfetched that I would almost laugh if they weren't such scumbags.

First One is Always Free

The most memorable panhandler to accost me was in Montreal. He asked for a handout so he could buy a gun and make some real money.

as a rule I don't give money to anybody on the street unless they are providing some sort of entertainment like Pushup guy, acoustic guitar people, or if they've got a sign that makes me chuckle. Sitting on the ground with hands out makes me think they have no will to turn things around.

That said, I donate to reputable charities that help the homeless. That way I know my money isn't going to the liquor store or crack dealer.

Hey man, Pushup guy is a world record holder. And he is a blast to party with. Lmao
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

Quote Originally Posted by Cal76 View Post
    Their numbers have really really gone down in last couple of years.
    Agreed.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Plan to End Homelessness?

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Hey man, Pushup guy is a world record holder. And he is a blast to party with. Lmao
    I'll give Push-up Guy money if he stops doing push-ups.

First One is Always Free

I still have problems with panhandlers, even though I agree the number has gone down. It is super frustrating though... I wish they made it illegal. I was in the U.K. recently and while they had panhandlers they would never ASK for money. They would just sit on the side of the street. I have a feeling it was illegal to actually do any asking. I was tempted to give them money just for leaving me alone lol!

There are much better ways to help poor people then giving them money when they pan handle. That being said if I have some healthy food to spare I will give it to them if they look like they need it(most times they do).
    When money speaks the truth is silent.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Decade View Post
    I I was in the U.K. recently and while they had panhandlers they would never ASK for money. They would just sit on the side of the street. I have a feeling it was illegal to actually do any asking.
    I was approached by the same guy twice in London last month, asking me if I could spare a pound.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Change come from within. My apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFighter View Post
    There are much better ways to help poor people then giving them money when they pan handle. That being said if I have some healthy food to spare I will give it to them if they look like they need it(most times they do).
    is it wise for the homeless to be accepting food from sources that are not regulated? what if some nut job was running around giving them poison tuna sammies?

its better to donate to the centers that are already there that look after the homeless.
    be offended! figure out why later...

Haha good joke about regulation. If you remember about a year ago some nut job was putting metal shavings into ground beef in some calgary grocery stores. So just because the government has said its safe does not mean it has not been contaminated after it leaves the packing plant.

Usually I give fruits and vegetables, though I have bought some a sandwich or coffee from Timmies.

Donating to charity is a very good idea, if you are a christian it is your duty. Do not forget though donating your time is much more important then donating money.
    When money speaks the truth is silent.

C2E Super Addict

reminds me of this turkey who was about a block north of the Icon Towers and my wife and kid and I were leaving a small cafe style restaurant across the street from the towers heading north and this guy was just finishing a conversation with someone else when the guy walked away....so what does this turkey do? he crosses the street to where we were walking back to the car and sits on a bench....we were about a half block away and KNEW what he was gonna do....so i rolled my eyes and said "here we go"...so we get to him and he says "excuse me..." so i say in a not so friendly voice "ya?"

so right away he says "i'm not a mooch or anything, i have a job in Fort Mac, (suuuuuuure you do!!), i just don't have any money left, and i just need a room at the YMCA", which was just a block east of where we were talking, so i'm starting to get bored by this time when he continues.... "i just need $35 for a room", so i said "$35!?! " and just kept walking to the car which was close by....get in the car, look in the rear view, and he's looking in his Blackberry.....funny how a guy has money for a Blackberry but not a $35 room at the Y. one of the better crock and bull stories i have heard...these panhandlers must think they now have to tell long boring stories to get a buck or two...i wish they'd all just pizz off!!
    Last edited by OilTastic/BigCityDude; 05-09-2011 at 02:59 PM.
    Thank You For Finally Going Higher!

Ever notice that a lot of panhandlers seem to have money for tattoos, piercings and smokes?

If everyone said no, the problem would solve itself. It's the do-gooders out there that perpetuate this.

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    Ever notice that a lot of panhandlers seem to have money for tattoos, piercings and smokes?
    And beer bellies (oh, I know, that's because they can't afford to eat "right"...)

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    And beer bellies (oh, I know, that's because they can't afford to eat "right"...)
    the beer bellies are just from their abdominal muscles being so weak from mal-nourishment that their intestines are sticking out
    Last edited by richardW; 06-09-2011 at 08:03 AM.
    be offended! figure out why later...

Malnutrition is ugly, add in a bit of substance abuse... Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by richardW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    the beer bellies are just from their abdominal muscles being so weak from nourishment that their intestines are sticking out
    And lots of fat. It's not just unhealthy foods - beer and other alcoholic drinks will also pack a lot of calories. Could also be due to water retention because the kidneys may be adversely affected by substance abuse.
    Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    Could also be due to water retention because the kidneys may be adversely affected by substance abuse.
    I guess that explains all the fatties at Walmart as well, not from pigging out at McD's too often, but rather, from middle class substance abuse

City gets fewer complaints about aggressive panhandlers

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...273/story.html

EDMONTON - Complaints about aggressive panhandling have dropped since last year, likely because of moves to reduce the practice, a city official says.

Officers had dealt with 80 calls regarding aggressive panhandlers as of the beginning of September, compared to 110 complaints for the same period in 2010, according to police statistics.

The change might be the result of programs such as increased public education and more outreach and employment support, says Kathy Barnhart, director of neighbourhood and community development.

“My sense of it is that people are aware they shouldn’t encourage it by giving (money) … and we know more people are being housed,” she said, adding she hasn’t analyzed why complaints are down.

“My general sense is we’re making a difference, but it’s too soon to tell how significant a difference.”
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Is the problem actually down, or is the public not reporting it because they feel their complaints fall on deaf ears?

^I have seen less in recent months, although yesterday hit up twice. No patience for one guy who walked into the T'Zin patio between chairs and asked people. Fortunately the staff removed him ASAP.
    www.decl.org

First One is Always Free

Just the other day, I found someone begging for money outside a temp agency downtown...one of those pay daily places. Workforce? Diversified? I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    The most memorable panhandler to accost me was in Montreal. He asked for a handout so he could buy a gun and make some real money.
    I seem to remember a panhandler in Calgary with a sign that read "Will take verbal abuse for change" and another in Toronto that had a sign saying "Don't make me beg". Clever! Still didn't give change, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BalancedOP View Post
    In TO a few years ago City TV followed a female panhandler back to her BMW and all the way back to her 10000 sqf home in Richmond hill. Her Husband was a lawyer and new his wife was doing it.
    I remember that! She acted like she had a bad back and looked like a gypsy, or something? I read somewhere that she's back at it, gypping people at Yonge and Dundas. Wowza.

My worst experience with panhandlers was in Vancouver: on the four block walk from my hotel downtown to the nearest 7-Eleven, I was accosted by five people begging for change...and they all had smokes in hand. Yeah.

Do you mean how I deal with them in day to day life, or the general fact they exist?

If the former: A simple "no" when asked. Walk past.

If the latter: I wish we lived in a world with no panhandlers, where everyone was taken care of. Alas, I suppose that makes me a "socialist."
    http://orbisaetherum.com — My story podcast. Take a listen!

I usually say no and keep walking. Depending on the situation, I might also put my hand in my pocket and pretend to search for change (if I feel like it would prevent hostility), then say no and keep walking. Never had any problems.

I have far more people approach me not asking for money, but who just want to talk (at the bus stop, whatnot) and complain about things. While it's uncomfortable sometimes, some of these people are very nice and have a story to tell if you're willing to listen. I think they are shunned by many and welcome the chance to talk, even if you are not willing to give them money.

On the lighter side, was approached by a young guy just off Whyte and 99th a few years back.

Him: If I promise not to bug you for the rest of the year, would you give me $20.

Me: Uprorious laughter - "good one bud ...but no."

Him: Laughed back - and wished me Happy New Year - twas New Year's Eve.

Not so funny was the dude on Jasper Ave hitting me up for money so he could get to Whistler.

Me: Seriously? You want me to give you money so you can move to the most expensive, exclusive, high end resort community in Canada? Seriously?

I think he was actually embarrased. And if not, should have been.

Usually I just look right at them and say, "sorry." Seems to work.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Super Addict

anyone notice the female panhandler holding a sign that stands from time to time on the meridian at 124th st. and Yellowhead trail? she waits for handouts from the cars waiting to make a left onto Yellowhead at the lights. don't know what her sign says but likely another sob story!
    Thank You For Finally Going Higher!

Well...

If you're a capitalist or Conservative, think of it this way... the guy (or gal) is trying to make a buck. They ask, you can give or not. So what's the problem? I give a $4 for a hot dog, or I give a guy $2 for a story, same-same. They're not calling me at home during dinner, or banging on my door, or trying to send me stickers for my snail-mail.

What do you care what i do with my money anyways? If I want to walk down Jasper handing out fifites to every wino I see, it's none of your business. My money, my choice. I work for it, I'll do what I wish with it.

Dude lives in the street, or spends his nights in a shelter. Maybe he's lazy, maybe he's ill, maybe he just doesnt give a sh*t. So what? easy enough to sit here and say "Well, if I was in his shoes... " but you're not. You're not crapping water in alleyways and sleeping in the river valley. You're not smoking butts out of ashtrays, or wearing your underwear for weeks on end. Chill out. So he takes my $2 and buys liquor, or pills or smokes... so what? You take your paycheque and buy liquor and smokes... get off the high horse.
    Last edited by RatSOHC; 14-12-2011 at 01:27 PM.

The difference being that if no one gave them money then they wouldn't be bugging people because it wouldn't be worth their time. So if you walk down the street giving out fifties, it will impact others.

Yup, giving to panhandlers is a lot like feeding pests.

Quote Originally Posted by RatSOHC View Post
    You take your paycheque and buy liquor and smokes... get off the high horse.
    My thoughts exactly

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    What some view as pests, others view as human.
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

Hey, it's honest work compared to a lot of outwardly "respectable" paid employment where billings are fudged or overstated and customers otherwise shortchanged.

The way I see it, a portion of the population is well suited to serving society's skilled and often otherwise 'robotic' functions, others serve society's creative and other needs, and some just fall outside of society's current needs.

Here's something to think about...

"Some material things make my life more enjoyable; many, however, would not. I like having an expensive private plane, but owning a half-dozen homes would be a burden. Too often, a vast collection of possessions ends up possessing its owner. The asset I most value, aside from health, is interesting, diverse, and long-standing friends.

My wealth has come from a combination of living in America, some lucky genes, and compound interest. Both my children and I won what I call the ovarian lottery. (For starters, the odds against my 1930 birth taking place in the U.S. were at least 30 to 1. My being male and white also removed huge obstacles that a majority of Americans then faced.) My luck was accentuated by my living in a market system that sometimes produces distorted results, though overall it serves our country well. I’ve worked in an economy that rewards someone who saves the lives of others on a battlefield with a medal, rewards a great teacher with thank-you notes from parents, but rewards those who can detect the mispricing of securities with sums reaching into the billions. In short, fate’s distribution of long straws is wildly capricious.

The reaction of my family and me to our extraordinary good fortune is not guilt, but rather gratitude. Were we to use more than 1% of my claim checks on ourselves, neither our happiness nor our well-being would be enhanced. In contrast, that remaining 99% can have a huge effect on the health and welfare of others. That reality sets an obvious course for me and my family: Keep all we can conceivably need and distribute the rest to society, for its needs. My pledge starts us down that course." - Warren Buffett giving pledge letter

http://cms.givingpledge.org/Content/...%20Buffett.pdf

Last edited by KC; 15-12-2011 at 08:03 PM.

I don't give any money out. I don't care how dirty and helpless they look. There are proper charities in the city that hand out the basic needs and these people know about it. I refuse to support somebodies self-destructive habits. Even if you buy them food from a restaurant, who is to say these people don't just dress up in dirty clothes to panhandle. For the most part they get change from somebody, but then once in a while get offered a free meal. For all you know this person isn't really homeless and you just bought them a free meal at McDonalds. Please make sure your money is going where it is needed.

EDIT: I will point out one time I did give a guy some change. He was sitting outside McDonalds on the curb and as I was exiting, he politely asked me if I had a toonie to spare as he was hitchhiking and was just shy of the correct change for a meal. He was clean and had a big backpack with him so I had no reason to doubt him. I gave him a toonie, he thanked me, and he quickly went inside and bought himself a burger. This is a case where somebody isn't in need of a shelters help, but who was just shy a bit of change for a meal.
    Last edited by robertlovespi; 17-02-2012 at 12:33 PM.

I was approached by the same guy twice in London last month, asking me if I could spare a pound.
    You should have replied "I can spare plenty" then point at your gut and walk away.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

The better the economy, the fewer panhandlers. And vice versa.

Say yes or no to them as you please -- it won't make a bit of difference to them being or not being out there.

As for the rest... There are douchetards begging, and douchetards being begged on. I should know -- I'm a douchetard myself.

Quote Originally Posted by robertlovespi View Post
    You should have replied "I can spare plenty" then point at your gut and walk away.
    Good one!! And I should have done that, because I could spare quite a few pounds.

Human pests.

Human pests.
    Hahaha cold as ice man

Cold as ice.
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

I've gone to the Tim Horton's across the street from the Health Sciences Building several times this summer, and fairly often I've been approached by panhandlers who are "making the rounds" from table to table without any confrontation by management or staff. Seems to be a poor way to run a business, allowing these people to bother the patrons.

Could you mention it to the staff or leave a message for the manager? I did this at a grocery store and was pleased to see the manager handle the person with some dignity.

Every once in a while there are some sad looking characters haunting the City Centre food courts bumming for change. Pretty annoying when you're just trying to eat your lunch in peace, especially when most of them smell bad and look like they might pass out on your food. Then again, the food courts (especially City Centre East) resemble homeless shelters at times. Downtown living, I guess.

^Yah. I know people who only order delivery for supper when working late, when they would rather just hop down to the food court because of that. Have you ever seen anyone in business attire eating in the food court after 5pm? It's really, really rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Leafs Fan in Edmonton View Post
    Just the other day, I found someone begging for money outside a temp agency downtown...one of those pay daily places. Workforce? Diversified? I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I seem to remember a panhandler in Calgary with a sign that read "Will take verbal abuse for change" and another in Toronto that had a sign saying "Don't make me beg". Clever! Still didn't give change, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BalancedOP View Post
    I remember that! She acted like she had a bad back and looked like a gypsy, or something? I read somewhere that she's back at it, gypping people at Yonge and Dundas. Wowza.

My worst experience with panhandlers was in Vancouver: on the four block walk from my hotel downtown to the nearest 7-Eleven, I was accosted by five people begging for change...and they all had smokes in hand. Yeah.
    This woman must have got the idea from outside the Pantheon in Rome, was there a while back and a Lady dressed as a Gypsy all hunched over, in a black dress, walking with a pronounced shake was in front of the Pantheon. One thing I noticed was she was holding a huge basket for money, that hand did not shake one bit (the money would fall out!) One of the local street vendors and I struck up a conversation and he said she comes everyday to prey on the tourists, he pointed out a slight problem with her black dress, there was a floral one underneath it!! He said wait until her basket is full. I did and watched her amble on towards an alley beside the Pantheon, 5 minutes later a rather striking older woman appeared wearing a floral dress, well taken care of walking straight as an arrow and she got into a BMW and drove off!!

The guy outside the temp agency is probably the one that sits with his hands held out between the Quizno's and Randstad near the corner of Jasper/101. He's there almost every day.

Chmilz sounds like your I.Q. is smaller than your shoe size. I always give a couple of dollars. The way I look at it is if it makes there day a little better good what's the big deal. Remember but for the grace of God there goes I. Ifeel a little bad because I didn't give to Gary Mah when he was out panhandling recently; oh my mistake that was fund raising wasn't it? Funny how Politicians can screw us over all they want and drive us nuts in food courts or standing with signs at intersections(asking for your support and money). I would like to see these pests escorted out of the food court.

^no.

Do not give money to panhandlers. Give food or drink if they're hungry/thirsty, or warm clothes if they're cold, but don't give money. Give money to shelters and underfunded social programs. Volunteer for Homeless Connect or something.

By all means give money if they're doing something (playing an instrument, dancing, whatever), but handing money over just helps most of the homeless population get another fix, whether it's alcohol, drugs, whatever.

http://www.edmonton.ca/for_residents...ive-smart.aspx

I've given a few bucks over the years only to have my act of kindness smushed later on in the day. One fellow had a bleeding heart story about his father being sick (this was the year after my dad passed away) so I gave a few bucks to help with a 'bus ticket.' I then caught him in the New City liquor store that afternoon.

Moral of the story is, as Ander said, to give things that help but not cash. Give some food, donate clothing, carry bus tickets.

You wouldn't believe how many times the person asking for bus money has walked away once I produce an ETS ticket.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Andy what do you call it if the person is playing an instrument,dancing or whatever;do you call it high class panhandling,or a panhandler with a talent. I don't discriminate when I give money to people on the street. The last time I gave money to a guy playing a guitar on Whyte Ave. I ran into to him later that night drinking beer in the Blues on Whyte.So tell me Andy what's the difference.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

The guy playing the guitar (especially if he's any good) is doing a job: entertaining. It's not much different than the players in a pub band. And when he's not on the job, he has the same freedom as other business persons to hang out.

Eve

That's called 'earning it'

Providing a service or good in exchange for compensation.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Personally, I believe the city should implement a bylaw against giving "cash/change" to panhandlers. That would solve the problem almost over night. Instead, the bylaw fine should half go towards the city coffers and the other half towards city charities serving food and shelter services to the homeless

Quote Originally Posted by peeved View Post
    Andy what do you call it if the person is playing an instrument,dancing or whatever;
    There are quite a few people (and people I know) who do this very thing as a living.

Is 'busking' and 'street performing' now equivalent to panhandling?

You can make pretty good coin by going busking. For the past 3 or 4 years I've busked for donations to YESS outside Beerfest. At this year's event me and a friend raised $300 in about 7 hrs over 2 days.

A typical night on Whyte Ave is around $40, and that's just from 8 - 12.

A lot of the panhandlers I see downtown looks perfectly capable of finding a job, especially the ones who stand on the island inbetween roads. Panhandlers make good money, they interviewed this one panhandler downtown and apparently he owns a condo downtown, he just refuses to work and he makes average $80/day tax free.

Quote Originally Posted by Student4Life1975 View Post
    whats everyones view on panhandlers? ive noticed very very few of them on whyte ave lately, where as it used to be completely out of control.

C2E SME

No money for panhandlers. Give to charities instead.

Many of these people panhandle for booze or drugs, and they are a turnoff in any public place.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Not sure about everyone else, but in the last year there seems to be a significant reduction in panhandling downtown.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

That seems to be the case around Jasper and 101 Street. Mind you, there's construction there, but it may be enough to shift panhandling activity elsewhere.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I've noticed a decrease as well

Maybe the banks should quit giving mortgages to panhandlers. I'd like to talk to his banker if he can own a condo on $80.00 a day I may get into that business.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

^ I was thinking the same thing. I've made $80 a day, and lived OK, but I could never have bought a condo on that.

Eve

Quote Originally Posted by Ander View Post
    You can make pretty good coin by going busking. For the past 3 or 4 years I've busked for donations to YESS outside Beerfest. At this year's event me and a friend raised $300 in about 7 hrs over 2 days.
    I give to Buskers, even bad ones who really "try".

Never to a panhandler, it should IMO be a crime to do, especially if in a dangerous spot like on a road. I'd like to see police give out more Jaywalking tickets in these situations.

My gosh.

Would you give your friend 3 bucks if he was short for a six pack? Of course you would. You wouldnt judge him either way, wether you agree with his choice or not.

Who cares if they take that $3 to buy drugs or liquor. **** in Vegas I bought 12 packs to hand out beers to the homeless along the strip.

Rock on man!
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

I'd give my friend $3, sure. But if he asked me for $3 so he could buy a 6-pack every day I'd say no sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Ander View Post
    But if he asked me for $3 so he could buy a 6-pack every day I'd say no sooner than later.
    And probably sooner if you found out asking every other friend of yours, not to mention just random people on the street who supposedly owe him a living.

I give money to some buskers. Some of the buskers are obviously not homeless but more like university/high school kids and have self-made CDs for sale. I usually support those.

I don't usually give money to panhandlers. I've had a guy in Vancouver ask me for money for coffee. I had just bought a Tim Hortons coffee (lid was not yet opened) and I offered to give it to him, and he gave me a look of disgust and turned the other way. That was a real turnoff for me.

There was one time I was at Mcdonalds and a homeless guy was looking at his spare change, trying to determine what he could order with the amount he had. He was 12 cents short of being able to buy another value menu burger (even with the "take a penny leave a penny" box), so I gave him a $5.

I just find in general that panhandling is probably the laziest way to make money for a homeless person. I can imagine being homeless would be extremely hard, but there are still ways to make money besides begging.

Here is a good article on what to do when you're homeless:
    http://www.venturearticles.com/what-...-homeless.html

I've heard a story of one exec in Calgary who was so busy every morning with meetings he had no time to get coffee, so he hired a homeless person to bring him coffee every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by tsumetai View Post
    I give money to some buskers. Some of the buskers are obviously not homeless but more like university/high school kids and have self-made CDs for sale. I usually support those.
    I don't usually give money to panhandlers. I've had a guy in Vancouver ask me for money for coffee. I had just bought a Tim Hortons coffee (lid was not yet opened) and I offered to give it to him, and he gave me a look of disgust and turned the other way. That was a real turnoff for me.

There was one time I was at Mcdonalds and a homeless guy was looking at his spare change, trying to determine what he could order with the amount he had. He was 12 cents short of being able to buy another value menu burger (even with the "take a penny leave a penny" box), so I gave him a $5.
    I just find in general that panhandling is probably the laziest way to make money for a homeless person. I can imagine being homeless would be extremely hard, but there are still ways to make money besides begging.

Here is a good article on what to do when you're homeless:
    http://www.venturearticles.com/what-...-homeless.html

I've heard a story of one exec in Calgary who was so busy every morning with meetings he had no time to get coffee, so he hired a homeless person to bring him coffee every morning.
    I have no problem with the bolded examples.

If the guy is obviously buying food with the money, then I'd absolutely give him some change or even offer to buy it so he can use that change in a few hours when he's hungry again.

My issue is with the panhandlers who are out there every day with their story about needing a bus ticket or a coffee or whatever. Giving these people money does nothing to help anybody.

My gosh.

Would you give your friend 3 bucks if he was short for a six pack? Of course you would. You wouldnt judge him either way, wether you agree with his choice or not.
    Different situation. If I had a friend who had no job or home and wanted $3 for a 6-pack--no way.

I don't give money. I'll give a bus ticket to somebody in need if I have one, or a buck or two for a really good busker, but that's it.

I was carrying leftover pizza home when I happened upon a homeless guy begging for change. I gave him the pizza and he was really appreciative.

I sometimes give my empty bottles/cans to a collector because there are times when I can't be bothered going to the bottle depot. The one north of MacEwan University always has massive lineups, not really worth it just to get back 5 or less.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

That's certainly one way to do it!

I was personally very disappointed that we at the Cambridge had to cage in the garbage area. There were a few guys that always helped clean the area up and would very carefully go through the bins for cans and other useful things.

Unfortunately the not-so-good crowd that frightened residents, made a huge mess (our janitor once spent five hours cleaning the area), and did other things back there (not so fun dealing with needles) lead us to the decision.

I made my living busking for ten years. Buskers and panhandlers are sworn enemies on the street. A good busker drives panhandlers away, because they can't compete.

That said, I've met or come across a lot of panhandlers over the years. I've never met, seen, or heard of even one who was well off financially. If they find a "spot" where they can make good money, they usually only "work" long enough to make enough to buy a bottle or a little food.

Maybe there is a rich one, somewhere, but every one I ever knew was dirt poor, and usually suffering from some sort of mental health issue. I'd go so far as to say almost all are suffering from some sort of depression, often severe.

I don't usually give money to panhandlers either, because I don't want to reward or encourage that kind of behaviour. It can become a competition to see who can be the most dysfunctional. But I certainly don't hate them. I feel sorry for them.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

I was in the Wholesale Club place on 99 st a few weeks ago, and the guy ahead of me was digging around for 10 cents (it was $50.10, or something), and I fished a dime out of my pocket and gave it to the clerk. He was super chatty, and somehow we got on the topic of Whyte Ave, and he told me he used to make $150-200 a day walking up and down Whyte about 10 years ago. He said he doesn't do it anymore because it's too competitive so he got a "real job." He definitely wasn't homeless.

I spoke to an EPS member a few weeks ago when they had something going on in Strathcona, and he said that giving money to the homeless, or leaving bottles around for them, invites other problems. Sure, the nice homeless guy you give a couple of bucks to seems fine, but that encourages others to beg for money. Those people may not be as nice, which could lead to robberies. There's also the possibility of drug use by these people, which can lead to more robberies or thefts from the area so they can get money to get the drugs.

Just don't give them money. As others have said, there are other things you can give someone who appears down on their luck without handing over cash.

He's lying about how much money he made, Gord. They all do. It makes them feel better somehow. Buskers do it too.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Well every body has a democratic right to be wrong. How can any body who is not homeless write an article on what to do if your homeless. That would be like me writing an article on how to fly a plain. if you haven't walked the walk you can't talk the talk. People have said on this thread that they ran into homeless people who looked like they were perfectly capable of working and maybe they were. But could any of us get up and go to work every day after sleeping under a bridge or on a park bench or even in a hostile I think not people.Do you really think that all these people choose to be homeless. Look at all the vets in the states that come back from fighting for there . country and find that they are homeless. They would all be SOL if they ask you guys for a hand out yet they fought for you. You people are pathetic.

I walked the walk, buddy. For ten loooooong years. I don't hate panhandlers, but I don't particularly like them either. There but for the grace of God go I. Or something like that.

It takes a lot of training and skill to fly a "plain". It doesn't take much of anything to be a panhandler. Not to suggest anyone could do it. It does take a certain amount of chutzpah, along with a generous helping of not caring about what anyone thinks.

My rule is; if I want to encourage a behaviour I'll consider supporting it with some $. I don't want to encourage panhandling. I've seen entire streets in beautiful locations (State Street in Santa Barbara) destroyed by excessive numbers of bums. Businesses suffered, and some went under.

On the street, some things become crystal clear, and absolutely fundamental. Some people are a plus. Some people are a minus.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 28-07-2012 at 02:25 AM.

Did you even read what I wrote. Look again or get new glasses. I asked how can anyone who is not homeless write an article on what to do if your homeless. The point about the plan is if you never flew one you can't write an article telling people how to fly a plane. I would think that you being a panhandler for 10 years (I thought you said you were a busker you seem a little confused) would have a little more compassion but listening to you tells me that the only little thing you have is your I.Q and a problem understanding what you read.
    Last edited by peeved; 28-07-2012 at 03:00 AM.

Did you even read what I wrote? I've never been a panhandler. I was homeless for ten years, and I was a busker during that time. Buskers and panhandlers are sworn enemies on the street. You're the only one who seems to want to put them in the same category.

Your comments re: IQ, compassion, etc, are way offside, pal, especially coming from a guy who can't spell "plain".

As I said, I walked the walk. How about you? Seriously. Let us all know what kind of experience you have. Have you walked the walk? I wouldn't be surprised, given the huge chip on your shoulder. If you have anything else to say on the subject of homelessness, busking, panhandling, or flying a "plain", please preface with your experience.

I know way more about being on the street than I ever wanted to, and I'm not going to be lectured by a punk like you.

FYI, I have a brother on the street, now, somewhere in BC.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

All,

Enough with the personal jabs. Talk about the points, not the people posting.

I have given warnings to the people responsible.

I would think it would not be a stellar situation to be (homeless), and have the need to panhandle to feed addictions would be worse. The aggressive ones won't even wait till your even out of a car and actually knock on the window begging. I try to be polite, say "Sorry.. have a good day" and continue on. I think this type is just out for a "fix' . Especially if its 6:30 (I know.. homeless) in the morning in the 7 eleven parking lot. They will say anything at all " even a penny" give em a quarter the will ask for a cigarette next. I mean aggressive/pushy and trying to be "intimidating" to get a few pennies.
    Last edited by piglet; 28-07-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast