Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: panhandlers

^why are you sorry? What did you do wrong?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Nope, just a polite way of declining.

Sorry.

Took a walk down 104 Street the other day - believe it was a Monday at 5PM. Started from Mercers and went south towards Jasper. I must have been accosted for money and/or smokes at least six times in a stretch thats about half a kilometre long...

Most of the benches were taken up by people with carts. Some airing out their clothes. Some shaping up their can collection. Others just having a chat with their buddy (but they were sure to ask everyone walking by for change).

I typically acknowledge whoever speaks to me (look them in the eye when I respond) and give a variation of "nope/sorry, got nothing" but when one bench asks for money, and I know the next bench was in an earshot, but still asks me, it's just annoying and my responses start becoming terse.

I actually have no issue where these people hang out (they've got every right to be where I am), but the constant barrage for change makes any walk through downtown (especially outside business hours) downright unpleasant and - for some I would expect - rather unsettling.
    Last edited by B.ike; 23-05-2017 at 11:06 AM. Reason: formatting

For the last couple of years there has been a guy hanging around a strip mall that I shop at frequently. Sometimes he's on foot and sometimes he's on a bike. He panhandles. This strip mall is 65 blocks north of downtown. I should imagine there are a few strip malls throughout the city who have dedicated panhandlers. Some people might even know the panhandlers name as they are there that often.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123