Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: panhandlers

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Giving to panhandlers encourages them to keep begging. If you feel sorry for them, donate to agencies that help feed, clothe and shelter them.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Partially Addicted to C2E

A homeless panhandler or a homeless busker what's the difference? A homeless busker is a panhandler who can play an instrument but for some reason can't hold down a normal job. I don't discriminate I give money to both no big deal.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I think someone who can play an instrument has a valid skill. Their playing on the street, to me, is equivalent to the people who sell hotdogs or trinkets on the street from carts. They are providing a service that people can choose to pay for and they enhance the street experience.

A person getting in my face while I'm waiting for the bus telling me to give them money is not providing a service. I've encountered panhandlers that are so aggressive, it's more like attempted mugging. And no I don't give to them nor do I encourage others to. They diminish the street experience.

Homelessness is a dreadful thing. I totally get that. I find it appalling that housing policies are designed that there are people who work who can't find housing of any kind anywhere that they can afford. In my day, it was possible to get a bedsit for very little money that was clean and respectable. Not any more.

Eve

Partially Addicted to C2E

My point was that if your homeless and have a talent why not use it to your best advantage. I don't agree with the way big banks and Government make it nearly impossible for people to have a place to call home. If our politicians (at all levels) took a little less a lot of people could have a lot more and thus maybe not as many homeless people. I believe that not all homeless people are drunken bums but some are driven to that after years or months of frustration. I've never had an issue with giving a few dollars to a homeless person. If it makes his day a little better that's great. I know people on this post think that's wrong but I don't and that's all that matters to me.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Since you want to help the homeless I suggest you talk to some of the agencies that deal with them. They'll be able to explain why handing over money isn't the best thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    I think someone who can play an instrument has a valid skill. Their playing on the street, to me, is equivalent to the people who sell hotdogs or trinkets on the street from carts. They are providing a service that people can choose to pay for and they enhance the street experience.

A person getting in my face while I'm waiting for the bus telling me to give them money is not providing a service. I've encountered panhandlers that are so aggressive, it's more like attempted mugging. And no I don't give to them nor do I encourage others to. They diminish the street experience.

Homelessness is a dreadful thing. I totally get that. I find it appalling that housing policies are designed that there are people who work who can't find housing of any kind anywhere that they can afford. In my day, it was possible to get a bedsit for very little money that was clean and respectable. Not any more.

Eve
    You're right, Eve. That's why they don't have panhandler festivals.

It really is the difference between enhancing the street experience (a plus) or diminishing the street experience (a minus). It really is as simple as that. In fact some lousy buskers I've come across could be considered a minus too, and that's why I'd never support them either.

Homelessness is a different topic, though somewhat related. I can't recall meeting another busker who was homeless (though I'm positive there are some). Most homeless people aren't panhandlers. Not all panhandlers are homeless.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 29-07-2012 at 01:24 AM.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

I don't think I've ever had a busker ask me for money, either, and I certainly haven't had one tell me a BS story to get some cash from me.

That's what really pisses me off; the people that have a sob story about how they're here from Saskatchewan and their truck was impounded/broke down, and they just need $20 so they can get it back and get home. I've heard two versions of the story from two different guys, and I've seen them multiple times over the years. Obviously it works, or they wouldn't keep doing it. Next time I see one of them (and if I have the time), I'll just sit and watch to see how many people give them money.

First One is Always Free

Default Forgive the bump, but panhandlers are one of my pet peeves...

When I met my wife, who is from the Phillipines, for our first date we went for dinner at Chianti's on Whyte Avenue. Then walked down to the Wee Book Inn...got hit up for spare change about four times just in those two and a half blocks. My wife was shocked; for her, still being fairly new to Canada (she'd only been here about eight months at that point), she said, "I can't believe you actually have panhandlers here! I really wasn't expecting that." She went on to explain how it was commonplace back home to see people begging in the streets but she reckoned Canada was a bit better off than that. Then I explained how most of the panhandlers had some sort of substance abuse problems and were begging in order to feed their habits, then she understood. "Oh...I see," she said.

Personally I don't give money to panhandlers anymore...an incident when I was living in London, England back in 1997 cured me of that. I was coming out of Picadilly Station going up to the open air market in Soho and on two different stair landings were a young mother and kid on each landing, panhandling. Well, I gave them each a few pence and went off to the market. When I came back to the station an hour or so later the young mothers were still there...but they'd switched kids! That's when I knew it had to be some sort of scam. I wasn't as cynical in those days as I am now but I said then and there, "Never again." I'll give them food, I'll give them cigarettes but beyond that I won't give them a friggin' cent. Forgive me if I sound a bit sanctimonious but I'm a self made guy, mummy and daddy didn't give me jack, and back in my younger days I spent a lot of time doing just about every illegal susbtance known to man (except heroin, meth and crack) and nobody ever supported my habits. Damned if I'll support anybody else's, thanks.

Is panhandling a problem here in Edmonton? I reckon it's gotten better but it used to be pretty damned bad for a while there. Listen: I used to live just off of 115th street and Jasper Ave; I'd walk to the downtown library from there and, just in that twenty minute or so walk down Jasper Avenue I used to get hit up for spare change a dozen times, it was ridiculous. And, I'm sorry, but I have very little sympathy for these people. As far as I'm concerned this is the richest province in the country, with more jobs than there are people to fill them...if you can't get off the booze/crack/smack or get some help for your mental issues and get a job like the rest of us than I don't know what to do for you...but I won't give you any money, that's for sure.

(/rant)

My record of getting hit up for change was when I parked in a parking lot on the north west corner of Jasper Ave and then crossed the road to go into the Engineers Building. 3 times in about 1/2 a block. 2 guys 1 girl. When I got back I picked up a coffee from Starbucks but did not get hit up on the return trip. One guy outside City Centre asked me if I had any change and when I said no he then spat right at my feet. I'd say there are places in Edmonton were panhandling is very bad, but then again it's a problem in a lot of cities.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Interesting that so many panhandlers can afford tattoos or smokes. There are many agencies that feed and clothe them. Giving them money only feeds the habit. There are also professional panhandlers who make a pretty good bit of money, by standing at an intersection, holding a hunk of cardboard with something on it, saying something like "Hungry and homeless. Please help." I was in Calgary a few weeks ago and as we pulled up to an intersection a guy on the median pulled a folded-up cardboard sign from under his jacket. He opened up the sign which obviously had been folded and opened quite a few times before, and before the light changed a guy in a pickup truck next to us called him over and gave the panhandler a five dollar bill. Good tax-free money.

I will give change to panhandlers if I have any in my pockets but usually that is only when I am wearing a coat. What I will not do is open my bag, take my wallet out and hand money over like that. A girl I worked with once did that and the guy grabbed the wallet and took off.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

This past winter I was at the Callingwood Safeway (178 St. and 69 Ave), just leaving my vehicle. I wasn't even past the back passenger door when I was approached by a panhandler. He looked inside my vehicle and saw the Timmies drinks and sandwiches and then looked at me and asked for money. I told him I had no change but if he was cold, I'd pick him up a coffee while I was in Safeway. He declined, pointed to the Muggenz restaurant, and told me he wants an entire breakfast meal instead. I literally (not figuratively) laughed out loud and told him no, then walked away.

Oh I know that feeling. A young guy asked me for money on 102 st. & 103 Ave. I took a toonie out of my pocket and gave it to him. He then asked if I could give him $5. I gave him a lecture instead.

Default Comparison to Colombia

Last year I went on vacation to Colombia for nearly a month. With its reputation preceding it, I expected panhandling. I barely encountered any. It seems the attitude is that if you don't work, you don't eat. When I did, they were not aggressive and they actually looked really dirt poor. Poverty here in North America is nothing compared to elsewhere. Here, I find the panhandlers really aggressive and I'm afraid to encounter them when I am out with my wife. It seems the attitude amongst our panhandlers that society owes them, for whatever reason. The natives are especially bad in that respect. I will also mention in passing that only one of the beggars I encountered in Colombia seemed, from what I saw, to be a substance abuser.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    Interesting that so many panhandlers can afford tattoos or smokes.
    Yeah...funny how that works, isn't it? Cell phones too, for that matter.

Which reminds me of another panhandling anecdote: going down to Whyte in 2004 -while the Fringe was going on- to meet up with a friend when he got off work and there on the sidewalk sat two teenage kids panhandling, cup full of change and everything. Now, that's nothing unusual on Whyte Avenue, granted, but these two both happened to be wearing sneakers and jeans that probably cost more than my entire wardrobe...and then I heard one of their cellphones go off. I just knew right then and there that these were probably a couple of spoiled brat rich kids from Riverbend or something, mommy's a lawyer, daddy's a doctor kinda thing, and they were simply hitting up people to pay for their drugs no doubt. I was tempted to lean over and hawk a loogie into their cup of change but thought better of it.

I was mugged not long after moving to the city so I rarely carry cash on me anymore which has the side benefit of giving me an honest excuse when someone asks me for change and I can tell them I just carry my cards on me.

The last time I gave anything to a panhandler was back home; someone gave me some old sob story about not being from town and trying to get home, yadda yadda. Gave her a toonie and walked into a restaurant I had called in a pick-up order to ahead of time. On my way back to my car, the same woman came up and gave me a different story than the one I got not 15 minutes prior.

Buskers are a different story. At least they're sort of providing some kind of service or at least trying to earn their handouts as opposed to just begging. There's a dude I come across regularly in University station that's not too bad on a guitar that I've gave a few bucks to.

Buskers are good. Their presence discourages panhandling.

Getting asked for change by the homeless while busking to raise money for a homeless charity is always awkward for me.

Ahhh yes, the whyte ave middle class kids that "rebelled" against their parents and now beg for money from the sidewalk. I noticed this trend get real popular in the mid 1990's and I haven't give any of them a dime.

I once got asked for money outside the library downtown. It was a girl and she looked like ten miles of bad road. Anyway ,my bus was at the lights and she was asking everyone in the line up for money. She got to me just as the bus was pulling up. I said to her there was an employment office next door in Canada Place. She was not quite sure what she was hearing so said "what". I repeated it, she said a few choice words but by then I was on the bus. Now usually I do give change to panhandlers if I have any in my pocket but I had been hit up by this girl before and did not get a 'thanks', or even a smile would have been acceptable.

This is a disheartening thread.
    I often see panhandlers. If they ask if I can spare some change, I look at them and say politely "no, sorry" or "I can't help you".
    If a panhandler asks if I can help them get something to eat - well, I can. I can afford to buy a person down on their luck that day (or for life) a meal. I have bought food for quite a few grateful people.
    Some of those people are mentally ill and without medical support. They can't organize their disordered thoughts well enough to access services.
    Some of them are kids who made a mistake and found themselves far from home without money for food.
    Some are kids who were kicked out of home or left home because they have screwed up or evil parents.
    Some of them are lost their job, and just need a bit of help. Maybe it was their fault they lost their job, but I have made mistakes too.
    I do donate to the Food Bank, the Salvation Army, YESS. I don't feel as if the bit of help I give on the street adds to the panhandlers' problems, or the "problem" of panhandlers. I realize that I am not doing much for these people, and wish I had the energy to do more. At minimum, I can treat them with respect when I say "no".

I've yet to have a panhandler ask me for anything but money or smokes.

I've even offered to buy something to eat for one of them, but was scoffed at.

YRMV

Generally, i come across the same folks as you Med. I won't give money but will buy them something to eat. Most want money for more adventurous activities, and I won't give for a lifestyle.

I am sure that the type of people you encounter depends on where you are. My spouse and I have some theories that guide our reactions. A person who is filthy or dressed very inappropriately for the weather may well have a mental illness, so we are inclined to give them money. Some of those people aren't even panhandling. A person standing outside a liquor store asking for money very likely wants to buy liquor, so we don't feel bad about saying "no, sorry". A person standing outside a grocery store or a fast food restaurant is probably looking for food, so we will say "I will buy you something to eat" and ask what they want. The requests are always very modest. I generally get them something more than they have asked for. If they look very young (usually seen on Whyte) we have given them food, money, advice or all three. The young ones are so sad - they often seem to feel humiliated and desperate.

Your assessment is logical. From experience, i get asked for a loonie so they can buy something to eat which i decline; instead, i offer to buy them a meal and they decline. You know where this is going...

Definitely. If they ask for money to buy food but refuse my offer to buy them food, I don't believe they really want food. In those cases I don't feel bad at all about saying "no, sorry".

C2E Long Term Contributor

If I have leftovers from a restaurant with me and I encounter a beggar, I always offer him or her the leftovers. Most of them are quite grateful. That's why I ask the restaurant to include plastic forks and paper napkins when packing up my leftovers.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Yes, nothing wrong with offering to buy someone food, but if you are inclined to donate money, then give it to one of the many charities that are there to help the homeless or down on their luck.

As others have stated, more than likely if they just want money they are looking to support their drugs or booze habit..
    Edmonton ~ It may not be perfect, but it's home~

There's a clear explanation as to why the majority of panhandlers / homeless reject your offer to buy them food; the fact is they likely do not have an empty stomach due to the following community support groups:

The Hope Mission located at 9908 106 Avenue serves free breakfast, lunch and dinner Monday through Friday, and lunch and dinner on the weekends. The Hope Mission receives 30% of their funding through your tax dollars.
    http://hopemission.com/how-we-give-hope/food/
    http://hopemission.com/about-us/financials/

The Mustard Seed located at 10635 96 Street serves free evening dinner 6 nights a week and maintains a depot of the Edmonton Food Bank.
    http://www.theseed.ca/programs-and-s...-edmonton.html

The Bissell Center located at 10527 96 Street is open seven days a week and serves over 300 free meals a day. The Bissell Center receives funding from your tax dollars through the Government of Alberta and the City of Edmonton.
    http://www.bissellcentre.org/individ...port-services/
    http://www.bissellcentre.org/our-supporters/

The Boyle Street Co-op located at 10116 105 Avenue is open 7 days a week and provides free coffee and serves dinner at special holidays.
    http://boylestreet.org/we-can-help/a...vices/drop-in/

Approximately a dozen more agencies provide free meals on certain days of the week and are outlined here:
    http://edmontonsfoodbank.harmonyapp....mmunity-meals/

Maybe next time you're accosted by a panhandler asking for food direct them to one of these agencies which you are already contributing to, instead giving them more money to buy drugs and alcohol with.

Most of us, including myself, are aware of those agencies hence why i refuse to give money. When one ask for a dollar for food, it doesn't make sense does it? what can one buy for a dollar? This is why i always reverse this sychology and offer to buy them food. Almost 100% of the time, they turn down the offer except twice, and the man was old and mentally challenged. I always donate to charities and always refer the agencies you listed as places in which they can seek help.

Do most of them reject your offers to buy them food? Most of the ones I have offered to buy food for have accepted.
    It would be nice if those services fed all of the hungry people in the City, but I don't think they can. In any case, buying a sandwich for someone who has mustered up the courage to ask doesn't hurt my lifestyle and maybe makes their day a bit easier, so I will continue to do so.

Yes and most times they ask for .50 cents or a dollar only.

I had a short but interesting chat with a early 30 something young lady on the weekend who refuses to come downtown because of 'the bums'. She feels very uncomfortable being approached and so avoids the experiences all together. Avoids Whyte Ave as well.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

My 20s daughter works downtown and spends a lot of time on Whyte. The catcalling men intimidate or upset her regularly, but the panhandlers don't trouble her a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyOWhy View Post
    It would be nice if those services fed all of the hungry people in the City, but I don't think they can.
    Feeding the homeless is not a problem.

A lot of them go to the Royal Alex Emergency and they'll get a sandwich, a bus ticket, and sometimes even some new clothes. If they know what to say, they'll also get a shot of morphine and get to sleep in a bed that night. Thanks to law, they can't be refused service.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I had a short but interesting chat with a early 30 something young lady on the weekend who refuses to come downtown because of 'the bums'. She feels very uncomfortable being approached and so avoids the experiences all together. Avoids Whyte Ave as well.
    It's much harder for younger women. I consider it one of the benefits of getting older that a certain type of street hassle is over for me.

There are hot spots, notably at the 7-Eleven during late night, where the panhandlers will actually get in my face and try to block my path. But I'm pretty nimble on my feet and can usually evade them gracefully. When they cause ruckus in the store, I leave that to the store workers because I don't think I would make things better. I don't understand why the 7-Eleven does develop better relations with the police.

Eve

^we have been pushing EPS to increase their presence on that corner for some time now... apparently they have or will be.
    www.decl.org

I remember one episode where the store workers actually tried calling the police. There were a couple of guys each of whom was accusing the other of stealing a bicycle. Much shouting and shoving that lasted over half an hour. Police never did show up and it was left to the workers to eject the guy.

I was worried both during the episode and when I finally left the store because I did not want to encounter a hothead out on the street. I'm skilled at avoiding people but there are limits.

On my way to the station, I saw a couple of police cars just sitting around. I restrained the urge to rap on their windows and tell them to get to work.

Eve
    Edited to add: I'm a fan of that particular 7 Eleven and have witnessed many episodes of grace under pressure from the staff.

I occasionally stop at the Tim Horton's outlet that's just across the street from the East entrance to the University Hospital. I would say that about 80% of my visits there I've been approached by panhandlers, both inside and outside of the shop. Again, today, a panhandler stopped me as I was about to enter the business. I've even seen panhandlers going from table to table asking for a handout.
    Last edited by 24karat; 10-02-2015 at 11:29 AM.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^it is one of the worst areas on the south side for panhandlers. Not sure why, perhaps the proximity to hospital and constant traffic.

You can often see people passed out/sleeping on the front lawn of that Tim's location in the summer. Got a real Mos Eisley vibe going on there.

Years ago when I lived downtown this was a bit of an annoyance but I began just ignoring them altogether. Last time I gave this read-headed younger guy with a beard a handful of change outside of a 7-11. He said he needed food. I went into the 7-11, bought stuff, then went across the street to the liquor store to pick up a case of beer and there he was buying a mickey with a handful of change. I got behind him in line and I told him "I thought you needed money for food?", and he ignored me and left.

Now I live in the suburbs and I never see them around here, not even at the stores I shop at, and I love it. I try to stay away from downtown/whyte ave as much as I can. I hate the traffic and the bums there.
    Last edited by alkeli; 10-03-2015 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Spelling...

There was a guy last week holding a sign to the drivers who had stopped for the light to exit South Edmonton Common on to 23rd Ave. The sign was written with a sharpee on to a piece of cardboard, saying something like "homeless and hungry. Please help." The woman in the car behind me called him over and she gave him a piece of folding money. Guys like that are professionals, probably not homeless, and they rake in a lot of money in one day. I will never give them money, and I urge other people to ignore them.
    Last edited by 24karat; 10-03-2015 at 01:13 PM.

A guy used to stand on the boulevard of 137 Ave and 97th Street with basically the same sign. A couple of times he had a dog with him. Maybe the dog was a prop to get more money. Even if someone gave him $5 every 15 minutes that's about $20 an hour for just standing there.

Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post
    Years ago when I lived downtown this was a bit of an annoyance but I began just ignoring them altogether. Last time I gave this read-headed younger guy with a beard a handful of change outside of a 7-11. He said he needed food. I went into the 7-11, bought stuff, then went across the street to the liquor store to pick up a case of beer and there he was buying a mickey with a handful of change. I got behind him in line and I told him "I thought you needed food for money?", and he ignored me and left.

Now I live in the suburbs and I never see them around here, not even at the stores I shop at, and I love it. I try to stay away from downtown/whyte ave as much as I can. I hate the traffic and the bums there.
    Thanks for letting us know! Homogenous for life!
    www.decl.org

I think I've encountered that same big bearded redheaded fellow in the downtown core several times over the years. If he wasn't begging for change then he was always drunk and screaming belligerently towards passersby - I usually have my karate hand ready to spring when I see him. Haven't seen him in a while though.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Karate hand? Do you have Kung-Fu Grip Action as well?

I wish!

But no, just bracing myself to deliver a chop to the throat if I need to defend myself. But as I said in an old sig, I've lived downtown for over 20 years and have never been put in any such situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I think I've encountered that same big bearded redheaded fellow in the downtown core several times over the years. If he wasn't begging for change then he was always drunk and screaming belligerently towards passersby - I usually have my karate hand ready to spring when I see him. Haven't seen him in a while though.
    Yep, screams at random people and at cars for no reason. Sounds like him alright.

Yep, screams at random people and at cars for no reason. Sounds like him alright.
    Hes actually non-violent and mentally ill. Im pretty sure we are talking about the same guy. Downtown OG for sure.
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

There are 2 of them, one is quite silent and most definitely mentally ill, the other is belly full and quite the opposite, with the latter of the two a very intrusive person to anyone passing by. He is usually RHW-104st, with the former south of Jasper from 102-105st.
    www.decl.org

Hmm no the man I am speaking about usually hangs out on the benches to the left of Shaw and Ive never seen him panhandle
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

Top_Dawg declares that spring is officially here.

There is this meth head girl that walks like a penguin and panhandles all over downtown.

She disappears before winter and her rearrival in E-town heralds the beginning of spring.

Well she's back. Top_Dawg spotted her yesterday.

She was always thin as a waif.

But now she's pregnant.

And pretty far along.

Scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    A guy used to stand on the boulevard of 137 Ave and 97th Street with basically the same sign. A couple of times he had a dog with him. Maybe the dog was a prop to get more money. Even if someone gave him $5 every 15 minutes that's about $20 an hour for just standing there.
    Panhandlers and buskers are enemies on the street, generally speaking. I've seen and met a lot of panhandlers through busking, especially in California. It's funny - there are echelons, and acceptable styles (as with street performers). Some would never use a sign, for example.

There is a method using "money dogs" and "money cats". It can be very effective. One I came across had one of those super relaxed hound dogs. It just laid there, with one paw propping up a sign.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 14-04-2015 at 07:32 PM.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

In the coming months I'll be busking, with a sign, for a charity I'm raising money for. I've seriously considered bringing my dog along because I know it would result in more donations.
    Last edited by Alex.L; 16-04-2015 at 03:29 PM.

C2E Super Addict

Years ago when I lived downtown this was a bit of an annoyance but I began just ignoring them altogether. Last time I gave this read-headed younger guy with a beard a handful of change outside of a 7-11. He said he needed food. I went into the 7-11, bought stuff, then went across the street to the liquor store to pick up a case of beer and there he was buying a mickey with a handful of change. I got behind him in line and I told him "I thought you needed money for food?", and he ignored me and left.

^exactly the reason why i don't and never will again live downtown, swanky new condos or not! i don't even like going downtown at all because of them.
    Thank You For Finally Going Higher!

As much as I'm annoyed by panhandlers, they're no worse than dbags driving like arseholes in their jacked up rig rockets or Harley, daddy's-money kids in bimmers they didn't pay for driving like every street's the drag strip, and pent-up angry suburban guy who screams at the TFW trying to make a living working the counter at Tim's because his coffee took 23 seconds to pour instead of 22.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by OilTastic/BigCityDude View Post

^exactly the reason why i don't and never will again live downtown, swanky new condos or not! i don't even like going downtown at all because of them.
    Oh lord.
    www.decl.org

Those fokking lepers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    As much as I'm annoyed by panhandlers, they're no worse than dbags driving like arseholes in their jacked up rig rockets or Harley, daddy's-money kids in bimmers they didn't pay for driving like every street's the drag strip, and pent-up angry suburban guy who screams at the TFW trying to make a living working the counter at Tim's because his coffee took 23 seconds to pour instead of 22.
    Chmilz wins the internet this week

The loud vehicles are quite annoying. Never seen anyone berating a TFW.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

Oh lord.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Those fokking lepers.
    downtown isn't for everyone boys.

It is, can be, will be, but if you show/have little respect for others...
    www.decl.org

C2E Super Addict

i still don't like going to the downtown core because of them but i'm trying to not let them bother me, and the wife and i spent a very nice Saturday evening at the coffee shop around MacEwan, then a walk to the Legislature grounds. you don't know me and have no right to judge me as having 'little respect' for others! and really downtown *is* and *will be* for everyone? hardly! and how exactly am i showing panhandlers disrespect when they are the first ones to approach me? i have a right to respond any way i choose if i feel one of these winners is being aggressive towards me or my family!

I meant that they have respect foryou, not so much panhandlers as much as loitering folks harassing people.
    www.decl.org

Let's get one thing straight.

Panhandlers have no respect either for themselves of the the people they accost. If they did they would not be panhandlers.

One can have sympathy for panhandlers and one can certainly come up with any number of ways to help them get their self-respect back. All of these methods involve a total cessation of panhandling. Period. Full stop.

To complain about anyone "not showing panhandlers respect" is morally reprehensible.

There can be no respect given or received for l;oose coin and bill flung one way or the other.

Certain hipsters would do well to feel great shame.

Everyone, EVERYONE, should be granted, shown, given respect until not reciprocated. Even then, high road. That said, aggressive, irreconcilable behaviour has ^^no place.
    www.decl.org

I'll give anyone the time of day if asked with reciprocity.

Not too long ago, our family was in the core two panhandlers male the female approached us from behind as we're strolling along, not the best way to go about it, anyway I told the fellow sorry no we don't have loose change today. The woman then ask's my wife, she reiterates, the fellow approaches my pre-teen son that's when I stepped-in and told him you're about to cross a line here you'd better think very carefully. They both turn away the fellow murmuring profanities. I don't mind being asked; however, accostment is not welcome.

C2E SME

Hopefully, the downtown growth will mean more people across the core. Right now, I get tired of the harassment by panhandlers, and it's all concentrated in a few blocks. That's what makes the pedway system so popular, because they aren't there.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Panhandlers are kind of like people who wear obnoxiously loud sport jackets in public. They might be annoying, but there really isn't a lot you can do about it. There's no law against asking people for money, otherwise anyone who asked a passerby for a few cents because he forgot to bring the full bus fare would be ticketed.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Hopefully, the downtown growth will mean more people across the core. Right now, I get tired of the harassment by panhandlers, and it's all concentrated in a few blocks. That's what makes the pedway system so popular, because they aren't there.
    Oh, they're in the pedways, too -- particularly the underground ones.

I have encountered panhandlers in the pedway system, most often in the one between City Centre Mall and Sutton Place, and within City Centre Mall itself.

If one works in the downtown core long enough you can't help but notice a few mental cases who wander the pedways non-stop all day long (older Asian guy; long-haired Iggy Pop lookalike with pot belly and too-tight jeans; caveman type with head down and making the cuckoo gesture) although they appear to be harmless.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^they are harmless, while they're med compliant... Until they're not. Having a home, consistency and stability is important to overcoming mental health barriers etc.

Homeless people need to be provided a place to live. Panhandlers need to be provided major arsekickings on the regular. Start with the former, as that'll weed out the latter that are doing it as a career choice.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I have encountered panhandlers in the pedway system, most often in the one between City Centre Mall and Sutton Place, and within City Centre Mall itself.

If one works in the downtown core long enough you can't help but notice a few mental cases who wander the pedways non-stop all day long (older Asian guy; long-haired Iggy Pop lookalike with pot belly and too-tight jeans; caveman type with head down and making the cuckoo gesture) although they appear to be harmless.

That guy has been wandering the pedways since City Center East was Edmonton Center and Woodward's was the anchor store.

Although, Top_Dawg has never seen him bother anyone.

First world problem. "I hate when people ask me for money" Cry me a river cupcake.

99% of people who panhandle do so because of addiction issues, mental health issues or abuse issues. They beg for money because things like honor & pride have gone out the window in favor of survival.

While there is a few who "make a living" off panhandling the massive majority are just trying to survive.

So while it inconveniences me slightly I think how blessed I am to not be in that situation and if someone asking you for money bothers you that bad I think you need to give your head a shake.
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Homeless people need to be provided a place to live. Panhandlers need to be provided major arsekickings on the regular. Start with the former, as that'll weed out the latter that are doing it as a career choice.
    Big talk for a little man. Go for it fella.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    99% of people who panhandle do so because of addiction issues, mental health issues or abuse issues.
    I challenge your "99%" assertion. Most of them do it because sometimes people give them money. As long as that happens, they keep asking.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    99% of people who panhandle do so because of addiction issues, mental health issues or abuse issues.
    I challenge your "99%" assertion. Most of them do it because sometimes people give them money. As long as that happens, they keep asking.
    Hehe, yup. The addict with the shopping cart asking for money is fine. It's the bozos with dreadlocks, backpacks, and a pity-mutt that ruin it. They're freeloading losers that just lay about leeching services and plugging up the sidewalks for no good reason. I can respect someone with a mental illness. I can't respect those pukes.

Again, its a 1%. To think that panhandling is some romantic lifestyle choice that free will hippies take part in because they love freeloading and leeching then you need to give your head a shake.

Its easy to live in the clouds among delusion and stereotypes but the reality is the majority of people who panhandle have mental health issues, addiction issues or trauma from prior abuses. Full stop.
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

Rule of the thumb: DON"T GIVE MONEY TO PANHANDLERS.

They don't "need it".
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Aggressive panhandlers scare off customers, business owners say
    City council promises to help effected areas in Kingsway, Chinatown, Beverly
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...-say-1.3294491

Edmonton businesses north of downtown say a spike in aggressive panhandling is bad for business.

"It's become more aggressive," says Ellie Sasseville, executive director of the Kingsway Business Zone.

"They used to stay out of the way of business. Now we're finding they're more aggressive. They're right in the doorways — sitting in the doorways — panhandling."

Some businesses are locking their doors to keep panhandlers out, she told Edmonton AM host Mark Connolly Thursday.

"That's not a solution, that's a surrender."

The problem is turning off customers who are taking their business elsewhere, she said.

The area spans Kingsway, Beverly and Chinatown, but is worst near 101st Street and 111th Avenue, Sasseville said.

Sasseville points to the growing number of homeless people in the city, but also in downtown's Ice District.

"It does appear to be that there is so much attention focused on downtown right now with the Ice District," she said.

"There's been a new initiative to put more beat officers on the streets of downtown . . . that may contribute to some of these individuals moving out of the downtown area."

Business leaders received a commitment from city council this week to work with them toward a short-term solution.

"We can't solve homelessness," she said. "But we need some short-term solutions that will help us co-exist, if nothing else, until a long-term solution can be found."

C2E SME

As sad as it is, the panhandling is in three different parts of town. I'm sure it will drop once winter hits.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I have noticed that the panhandlers have moved north and there seems to be more around the Royal Alex Hospital than before. On a few occasions I seen one particular panhandler on Princess Elisabeth Ave in front of the Alex. I was walking along the ped way to go to the parking lot and the same panhandler was staggering around on a little piece of lawn in front of the hospital, looked like he had set sail with Captain Morgan early in the day. Anyway, he proceeded to pee up against a tree for all to see. Next day he was back in his usually spot asking for hand outs. They also seem to congregate on the south side of 111th. Ave just of first street. There is a church there and they hand around the front steps of it.

I wonder where would they go in the winter? Instead of migrating north of downtown, why not the pandhandlers migrate to the south? There are richer people there than the north.

When winter hits and the temperatures drop they'll move to the library and the LRT.

highlander

I was panhandled the other day by a fellow who appeared to be actually working at the time. I'm sure he was just a day labourer, but it was a surprise.

Sad that people are actually trying to gain from pretending to be poor.

I got panhandeled by a child this morning, I couldn't believe it, a young kid about 10. Asked me for some money for a drink. I walked another block, and saw his mom following behind. IMO, that's child abuse, not sure if there is a way to report it though.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    As sad as it is, the panhandling is in three different parts of town. I'm sure it will drop once winter hits.
    panhandling is actually done all over the city. I've seen it in Terwillegar, I've seen it in Millwoods. I've seen it downtown, and all over the northside. It does happen more frequently in some areas, these panhandlers go where there is lots of traffic, be it pedestrains or cars on the road (there is almost always someone on certain street corners waiting for a red light so they can beg for money from passing motorists stopped at red light - 34 ave and Gateway for example almost always someone there)

C2E Continued Contributor

^ Also seen at Stony Plain Rd and 186st intersection quite often.

The exit from South Edmonton Common is a regular place for panhandlers holding up a cardboard sign saying they're homeless and hungry. If you watch them fromn a distance, they take in quite a lot of tax-free money.

I think Edmonton has bad enough problems that a big camp like they set up at Ft Mac should be set up so there will be lots of cheap living quarters for anyone that needs it. Food and other necessities could be supplied.

^Old Remand Centre, roll all the social service into there then plenty of rooms to house the homeless. With modifications of course.

Of course. Something needs to be done. Like yesterday

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by lobbdogg View Post
    ^ Also seen at Stony Plain Rd and 186st intersection quite often.
    The entire West End (where I work and live) is bad, not like "downtown" bad but pretty g-ddamn bad. Every time I got to the 7/11 off of 156th and 107th there's at least one, maybe two people outside panhandling away...I mention this to the clerks inside and they do absolutely nothing (not that I'd really expect them to, I suppose). And the hotel I work at just about every other day we get complaints from the guests that somebody is outside panhandling- and these are 'veteran' panhandlers who have been banned from the property not only by our security but also by the police in some cases. But they just keep coming back, always with their b.s. sob stories about how their supposed kids or mother is sick etc etc.

Look, in my younger days I did a lot of stupid s--t, did just about every illegal drug under the sun in copious amounts and nobody never, not once, ever supported my habits. I worked. I functioned- always. I have no sympathy for these panhandling a-sholes, none.

C2E Posting Power
    Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley, San Tan Valley

When I am Downtown and get approached, I point towards the east and say that there are dozens of shelters, soup kitchens, and food banks a short walk away in that direction - I then walk away.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I just say "sorry, no" when asked. I don't see the point in giving them a lecture. It's not going to change their ways or make any sort of a difference. Just keep walking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast