Thread: If you could live in any neighborhood in Edmonton, where would you live and why?

First One is Always Free

Thumbs up If you could live in any neighborhood in Edmonton, where would you live and why?

I am just interested in what people have to say about neighborhoods in Edmonton... it doesn't have to be the one you currently live in, but any neighborhood that you have a preference for or hold as a secret love! What makes it so fantastic? Why would it be your number one choice?

C2E Continued Contributor

Downtown.
    -Wouldn't have to buy a bus pass anymore
    -Could walk everywhere
    -Close to work
    -Close to school
    -Close to friends
    -Close to nightlife
    -Great vibe
    -Grocery stores
    -Shopping
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

First One is Always Free

For a condo, I would say Grandin. That's where I wanted to buy, but it was out of my price range - I ended up 10 blocks down in Oliver (which I still enjoy). The reasons for Grandin are fairly obvious: very central, LRT access, relatively quiet, mature with lots of trees etc...

For a house, I would love Glenora, but my realistic choice would be somewhere like Grovenor.

^Grandin/Oliver/downtown for the reasons posted above.

never answered e-mail

Westmount (biased)

- centrally located, great public transit bus access to downtown
    - old character homes and large elm-lined streets
    - thriving community elementary school (Westglen)
    - close to 124 street restaurants
    - great neighbours who look out for one another - nice to be able to have kids playing out in the front

C2E SME

Condo living - downtown/grandin/oliver for the reasons already stated, in varying ratios between the different areas (Grandin probably quietest with most greenery, but a bit further from services, Oliver close to services but a bit less greenery and in general busier/louder, downtown extremely close to a variety of services but also very busy and very loud, I hate car alarms so very bad)

Single family living - basically the neighborhoods sandwiched between the river valley and 102ave/142 street (Glenora, Laurier, Crestwood etc). Close proximity to downtown amenities, large lots with alleys and a variety of housing styles, great access to the river valley, more or less centrally located and traffic is generally reasonable, where I grew up and most family and friends live.

I'd also give points to the area around Ada Boulevard and Strathearn, they seem quite nice but I'm not overly familiar with them, and with Strathearn I think living on the South side of the river can be a pretty big knock against it. LRT would eliminate that however.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Cloverdale

- free folkfest tickets
    - close to downtown, Whyte, Rossdale, Kinsmen
    - river valley in your backyard
    - Quiet, quaint, and with unique houses

This is my plan for when I win the lottery.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Rossdale - I love the houses there.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Damn, if I had to cheat on Beverly I would try out her rich cousin Ada Blvd.

Outside of my north comfort zone, I would love an old character house in Riverdale
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

First One is Always Free

I have lived in Oliver, and really liked that. But now I live downtown, and I love it!

Blogged about this recently: Why we love living downtown
    Last edited by mastermaq; 11-08-2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: made it more obvious what the link is for
    Mack D. Male
    http://blog.mastermaq.ca | http://twitter.com/mastermaq | http://www.shareedmonton.ca

I like where I am but given the choice I would move a bit east into Highlands.

Maybe Sask drive/99st in the valley? I'd love to be able to walk to both Whyte and the river valley, but not own property too close to the late-night rowdies.
    Last edited by Chmilz; 11-08-2011 at 11:07 AM.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

First One is Always Free

I am downtown, and personally I love it here. I mean I would love to give up some of the "bad" parts (aka the drunks and sometimes the garbage), but most of the time I love being able to walk to the Farmer's Market, the movie theatre, the Leg Grounds, the LRT, the best bus routes... basically everything mastermaq said!

I have been thinking of buying, and while my dream neighborhood is Glenora for a house (still close to downtown, character homes that remind me of another city I used to live in, etc.) I doubt I can afford it there. So I am mainly looking in the outskirts of the Glenora... basically behind 124th ave but on the Westmount/Queen Mary side.... but not more than 20 blocks from Jasper ave if that makes sense.

I have also heard that the Highlands and Beverly are great, and while I don't have much experience with those neighborhoods (my husband grew up in Beverly and is rather nonchalant about how he feels about it as it has changed a lot), it is good to hear so many positive things about them!

why not westmount
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

C2E SME

I think I'd live in a neighbourhood like Bonnie Doon or Strathearn. About 10 minutes from downtown, and close to the proposed LRT line.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Windsor Park

Addicted to C2E

If I had the means and the wherewithal ,I would cross over 153rd to Griesbach.

Sherwood Park. All the amenities I want. Only 37 km from downtown. Plenty of parking for my F-350.

They recently got a Wok Box.. It is cultured there. They even have a Joey Tomatoes...not Joey, but Joey Tomatoes.

It is the place to be.

^how condescending. I am sure you'd be all up in arms if someone were to mock your choice of lifestyle.

I get it all the time from my buds. They all think the southside/walker lakes is where it is at. Cheap housing. They think i am mentally defficient for "overpaying" for a condo when i could get something bigger, newer, and for less money way out down south.

But at the end of the day, freedom of expression.
    Last edited by dwntwn_gme; 12-08-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    ^how condescending. I am sure you'd be all up in arms if someone were to mock your choice of lifestyle.
    lol, a little sarcasm never hurt
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Quote Originally Posted by dwntwn_gme View Post
    Sherwood Park. All the amenities I want. Only 37 km from downtown. Plenty of parking for my F-350.

They recently got a Wok Box.. It is cultured there. They even have a Joey Tomatoes...not Joey, but Joey Tomatoes.

It is the place to be.

Very and surprisingly eloquent actually, sometimes " ... it cuts like a knife, But it feels so right, It cuts like a knife, But it feels so right"

First One is Always Free

Belgravia! (Duh!) Living the dream...

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Condo living - downtown/grandin/oliver for the reasons already stated, in varying ratios between the different areas (Grandin probably quietest with most greenery, but a bit further from services, Oliver close to services but a bit less greenery and in general busier/louder, downtown extremely close to a variety of services but also very busy and very loud, I hate car alarms so very bad)

Single family living - basically the neighborhoods sandwiched between the river valley and 102ave/142 street (Glenora, Laurier, Crestwood etc). Close proximity to downtown amenities, large lots with alleys and a variety of housing styles, great access to the river valley, more or less centrally located and traffic is generally reasonable, where I grew up and most family and friends live.

I'd also give points to the area around Ada Boulevard and Strathearn, they seem quite nice but I'm not overly familiar with them, and with Strathearn I think living on the South side of the river can be a pretty big knock against it. LRT would eliminate that however.
    Bingo
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by dwntwn_gme View Post

It is the place to be.
    Ya, well my dream of living in Stoney Plain offers similar amenities, even cheaper massive houses, room for TWO Dodge duallies (Dodges r better ya, I'm RAM tough), couple of jetskies, a few skidoos, quads n' stuff, and a back yard so friggin huge I can have like 15 friends over, build a huge bonfire, drink some Buds, and the neighbors don't mind ya know, they're cool with that stuff not like the tighties in the city.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

Bingo
    South bank rules. We got the ski hill and muttart.

I am happy were I am, Mill Woods. Im in Lakewood. SO on 28 avenue i have the routes 79/78 taking me to Ellerslie ( not for long ) the 59 to south common the 74 to SC, Century Park or Southgate. Then across the field on Mill Woods Road I have the 8/6/70/ ( have to go to lakewood.millbourne for 15) I have the sev for quick snacks etc. MacEwan South Mill Woos Rec Center. The mall is a 15 minute walk. If I moved from here I would want to live in SouthWood. on the 63 or 62 bus route but not too far from the route like some cultasacs get
    IF i had to pick other areas
    i like bonnie doon and that area, as well as capilano./ i think some of the houses in Highlands /Beverly are nice (118 avenue ) but i have friends there and could never live there. tooo much crime
    Amy, Living in Mill Woods Edmonton for 2O years and counting and wouldn't change a thing <3 My home!

Glenora.

Why? I think it is a fantastic neighbourhood and I love the style of homes.

Addicted to C2E

Empire Park. I could walk to work, walk for groceries, walk to Southgate, walk to LRT, restaurants nearby, and proximity to the Whitemud for all my east/west excursions.

Of course, work is the most important factor there. If I didn't have to work, I'd live in Riverdale.

Riverbend/terrwillegar town.

North Glenora, close to downtown (takes 7 minutes to get to city centre driving), close to Coronation pool, the space science centre, kingsway is only a short drive away. Whyte Ave and the University are a short drive away. Plus all kinds of schools for my kid.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    ^Grandin/Oliver/downtown for the reasons posted above.
    Ditto......I live in a condo in Oliver, lots of amenities and walk to work in Government Centre.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Rossdale - I love the houses there.
    this
    be offended! figure out why later...

^i didn't think there were many houses there, mainly just roads (I'd love to know what ***** designed the spaghetti road system mess in the river valley).
    Last edited by moahunter; 14-08-2011 at 05:30 PM.

Take a walking tour of the neighborhood east of Telus Field sometime.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Ada runs through Beverly so really you wouldn't be cheating at all!!
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Griesbach. Because it's beautiful and I live near there now so I would still have my friends close by and my kids wouldn't have to change schools. Also it's nearer the core than where I currently live so it'd be easier to get to different places.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^i didn't think there were many houses there, mainly just roads (I'd love to know what ***** designed the spaghetti road system mess in the river valley).
    the neighborhood may not be called rossdale, its the one between telus field, the rossdale plant and the river. absolutely gorgeous in there.
    be offended! figure out why later...

First thing I think of with neighborhoods like Cloverdale, Rossdale, or Riverdale is flooding. I wonder how many basements have been flooding this year.

Its happened a lot in those communities and I would never buy a house that had that as a known problem.

I'm reasonably happy in Millwoods and with proximity to ringroad and access to different parts of the city.

If I had to pick other it would be near river valley or Whitemud or blackmud ravine. I like the river/ravine access.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    First thing I think of with neighborhoods like Cloverdale, Rossdale, or Riverdale is flooding. I wonder how many basements have been flooding this year.

Its happened a lot in those communities and I would never buy a house that had that as a known problem.

I'm reasonably happy in Millwoods and with proximity to ringroad and access to different parts of the city.

If I had to pick other it would be near river valley or Whitemud or blackmud ravine. I like the river/ravine access.
    much of riverdale is in fact above the 100 year flood plain for the north saskatchewan...

having said that, i know many more people that have had their basements flooded due to water or sewer backups or due to poor lot drainage or faulty roofs or even due to hail storms than for river vally flooding in edmonton.

from http://dawna.com/071104/ from july 2004:

"If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

much of riverdale is in fact above the 100 year flood plain for the north saskatchewan...

having said that, i know many more people that have had their basements flooded due to water or sewer backups or due to poor lot drainage or faulty roofs or even due to hail storms than for river vally flooding in edmonton.

from http://dawna.com/071104/ from july 2004:

Clearly I was talking about basement flooding.

Of course anecdotally we would all know more people in Edmonton in general, that have had basement flooding, than in the flood plain neighborhoods that were carved out by the river. The anecdotal information of course not being corrected. i.e. with per capita event or rates of events in different neighborhoods.

Not for any specific reason or that its specific to my post but an interesting read nonetheless:

http://www.rewedmonton.ca/content_view2?CONTENT_ID=1072

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

other than the excluded "river flood", why would you expect a basement flood to more prevalent in one area of the city vs another?
    Last edited by kcantor; 15-08-2011 at 04:00 PM. Reason: typo

other than the excluded "river flood", why would you expect a basement flood to more prevalent in one area of the city bs another?
    Low lying typography regions are typically harder hit by basement backups/flooding.
    Combine this with proximity to river, proximity to water table, and a valley like Riverdale in effect being a half bowl shaped catchment area and of course the risks are greater.
    For some reason, and I'm not sure why, but property grading also seems very poorly concieved in the river valley neighborhoods with no sloping away from the house gradient found in most neighborhoods.

I'm not sure why you'd think neighborhoods that are "floodplains" wouldn't be higher risk for flooding in general.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-08-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

other than the excluded "river flood", why would you expect a basement flood to more prevalent in one area of the city bs another?
    Low lying typography regions are typically harder hit by basement backups/flooding.
    Combine this with proximity to river, proximity to water table, and a valley like Riverdale in effect being a half bowl shaped catchment area and of course the risks are greater.
    For some reason, and I'm not sure why, but property grading also seems very poorly concieved in the river valley neighborhoods with no sloping away from the house gradient found in most neighborhoods.

I'm not sure why you'd think neighborhoods that are "floodplains" wouldn't be higher risk for flooding in general.
    maybe because the risk of "overland flooding" is pretty much seperate from the underlying watertable that would cause basement flooding?

i live on a lot in riverdale with a nominally higher than normal risk of overland flooding by virtue of it being just above the "floodplains" but the normal watertable is relatively low. the house has a full basement with a sump pump that virtually never goes on other than during a very heavy rain. there are lots of sites inside the henday in the northwest that are a long way from the river valley that have naturally occuring water tables (even with the recent drought) too high to have a basement.

that "low lying topography" you speak of and its impact on the water table has more to do with localized drainage patterns and the composition of the underlying earth (i.e. clay vs sand) than proximity to the river

as for the "no sloping away from the house gradient" you see in the older areas in river valley neighborhoods, you will see than in most older neighborhoods in the city. that's because storm water used to be collected in the house and piped to the city's sewers from each lot. that's no longer done and storm is collected "overland" and directed to flow to the street without individual storm drain connections to each lot/house. that's why you see the pronounced drainage swales - and not just nominally positive drainage away from the house - in newer subdivisions.
    Last edited by kcantor; 15-08-2011 at 04:03 PM.

maybe because the risk of "overland flooding" is pretty much seperate from the underlying watertable that would cause basement flooding?

i live on a lot in riverdale with a nominally higher than normal risk of overland flooding by virtue of it being just above the "floodplains" but the normal watertable is relatively low. the house has a full basement with a sump pump that virtually never goes on other than during a very heavy rain. there are lots of sites inside the henday in the northwest that are a long way from the river valley that have naturally occuring water tables (even with the recent drought) too high to have a basement.

that "low lying topography" you speak of and its impact on the water table has more to do with localized drainage patterns and the composition of the underlying earth (i.e. clay vs sand) than proximity to the river

as for the "no sloping away from the house gradient" you see in the older areas in river valley neighborhoods, you will see than in most older neighborhoods in the city. that's because storm water used to be collected in the house and piped to the city's sewers from each lot. that's no longer done and storm is collected "overland" and directed to flow to the street without individual storm drain connections to each lot/house. that's why you see the pronounced drainage swales - and not just nominally positive drainage away from the house - in newer subdivisions.
    heh, I'm embarrassed anyway that I made a typo in spelling typography instead of topography.

WE won't likely agree on this one Ken.

If insurance claims stats per area were readily available I'm pretty sure they would back up what I'm stating.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

heh, I'm embarrassed anyway that I made a typo in spelling typography instead of topography.

WE won't likely agree on this one Ken.

If insurance claims stats per area were readily available I'm pretty sure they would back up what I'm stating.
    the stats are available - at least to the insurers - and there is no policy premium for riverdale that i am aware of which would seem to contradict what you are stating. you have to remember that "overland flooding" is excluded from most typical policies regardless of the home location which then leaves the "basement flooding" risk as equivalent or less and based on factors other than proximity to the river (which is not the same as proximity to the water table)...

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    Only from 48st to 46st. And technically it's in Beverly Heights and along the perimeter of it, not through the middle From 50st to Wayne Gretzky Drive it's part of Highlands and from Wayne Gretzky Drive to 75st it's in the Virginia Park neighbourhood. That being said, in relation to the topic at hand, I too would love to live in Highlands along Ada Boulevarde. The Hardisty neighbourhood, directly across the river from Highlands, would be another strong consideration for me. It has even better access to the river valley park system than Highlands (Gold Bar park is right there), but it's proximity to amenities isn't quite as good as Highlands.

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    Only from 48st to 46st and 41st to 37st. And technically it's in Beverly Heights and along the perimeter of it, not through the middle 50st to Wayne Gretzky Drive it's part of Highlands and from Wayne Gretzky Drive to 75st it's in the Virginia Park neighbourhood.
    That being said, in relation to the topic at hand, I too would love to live in Highlands along Ada Boulevarde. The Hardisty neighbourhood, directly across the river from Highlands, would be another strong consideration for me. It has even better access to the river valley park system than Highlands (Gold Bar park is right there), but it's proximity to certain amenities isn't quite as good as Highlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Hull534 View Post
    If I had the means and the wherewithal ,I would cross over 153rd to Griesbach.
    We just bought a place in Griesbach, so I guess I'll soon be kinda living the dream

Grandin, Oliver.
    I can walk to work. Lots more happening downtown.

Live in Oliver now, looking for a house in Glenora.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Oliver or Glenora.
    Thank You For Finally Going Higher!

If I wanted to go for real glitz and glamour, I'd pick valleyview. Right down the street from Katz's Wal-mart sized mansion

It's kind of a trick question as if everyone moved there I wouldn't love it so much.

So my answer is downtown , in some rinky dinky condo filled with metrosexuals lmao

^Metrosexual is sooooooooooooo yesterday.

It would be nice to live around a lake (man made or otherwise). I'm a northsider so it would be on the northside (as long as it is not east of 50th St. or west of 97th. Street).
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^Metrosexual is sooooooooooooo yesterday.

It would be nice to live around a lake (man made or otherwise). I'm a northsider so it would be on the northside (as long as it is not east of 50th St. or west of 97th. Street).
    Not selling, but we got some great river front 17th street and after they close the gravel pit should be some good land, along with the much of the horticulture and good soil.

My spot is west of Edmonton where they wanted to ripp up for a gravel pit, only good place left in Edmonton

Valleyview.

Location to parks and mostly ok houses that can be renovated.

Corona is probably the closest we have to what I want, actually. LRT, Grocery, Post Office.

Would still ideally live somewhere closer to Churchill for other reasons, but there's no modern product on the market.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

I like Greisbach even though it's just past my 97th. Street cut off point.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Downtown.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I really miss Garneau. Lots of places to walk at all hours.

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    I really miss Garneau. Lots of places to walk at all hours.
    Windsor Park and Belgravia are really nice as well. Only bad thing these neighborhoods is the traffic, but if you walk a lot or take LRT they are great.
    Last edited by moahunter; 14-02-2017 at 10:07 AM.

I'm already living the dream in a very walkable suburban neighbourhood of Ambleside. 5-10 minute walk to work, about the same to get to the movies, variety of grocery stores, restaurants and other retailers, and the offerings continue to get better. Decent transit service to downtown (45 mins door to door). Anthony Henday drive is right here too, so ease to get to my family and friends that live all around the city. 15 mins to get to the airport for when I need a vacation, or a true urban experience.

I really need to check out some of the neighbourhoods on the periphery, it seems. I was planning on staying central but with my job moving to the south side later this year it's starting to seem like maybe the edge is where it's at for me & the wife.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Will continue to live in Millwoods, we're near the Meadows and we have walking access to shopping, Libraries, great community recreation options, instant access to Henday and thereby most parts of the city. 35mins to camping at the Lake (Miquelon).

Additionally great East Indian restaurants, groceries within walking distance. Quiet enjoyable community. Easy to get to airport. Place will only get better with LRT service and thus becomes a place more friendly to retirement as well as we age.

I like the pace here, the sense of community, knowing neighbors, talking to them, in a community where people are now putting in longterm roots. We have a lot of people now that have been here for decades and aren't moving. Very rare to find that kind of thing now.

Only thing I would like more of is cycling trail access and something Medwards should mention above as he is situated to take advantage of river valley trails. I think that's probably a huge advantage that Windermere region has. If I had to do it over again I might select Windermere. Only concern being the Henday is much busier there.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-02-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I really need to check out some of the neighbourhoods on the periphery, it seems. I was planning on staying central but with my job moving to the south side later this year it's starting to seem like maybe the edge is where it's at for me & the wife.
    I think that's a wise financial choice. Every second family I knew in Glenora seems to have moved down South - its where the infrastructure is going, in terms of growth, its is the largest heart of the city now. And in fairness, some of the new neighborhoods are much better done than the previous generations of sprawl. With the AHD, neighborhoods like Windermere and Ambleside are good choices if you work in the South.

thanks replacement +1 for river valley access, though from Windermere is not that great yet, unless you like single track mountain bike trails... there is no paved multi-use trail to the river valley from Windermere area (yet, there will be some day), you have to cross the henday first, which should only be done at Rabbit Hill Road, there is no pedestrian facilities on Terwillegar (as its a future freeway). As an avid mountain biker, not a problem for me.
    Last edited by Medwards; 14-02-2017 at 01:13 PM.

With the new Millwoods tram line going in, I think having a place in Bonniedoon, Strathearn or Avonmore is ideal for me (though realistically, I'd still drive everywhere). Closer to work and generally central enough without being central and lots of areas accessible by bike.

Mill Creek Ravine access is probably the biggest draw. I find our Ravines trails (Whitemud and Mill Creek) much enjoyable than the trails parallel the N. Saskatchewan.

I've been in Strathearn since 1984, and I'm not going anywhere else. Access to Mill Creek and River Valley for running, LRT is coming, walking distance to Muttart Conservatory, Idylwylde Library, and Bonnie Doon Mall (pretty lame at the moment but it will get better!), coffee shops and restaurants, 20 minutes to work by bus, great community league, proximity to Folk Fest, and more. Plus I can't face packing and moving 5000 books...

close to the heart institute for our son
    Please Help! Even small donations are needed ASAP! https://www.gofundme.com/fundsforjustin