Thread: How do you approach the C2E forum?

Default How do you approach the C2E forum?

Just curious...

Do you go to the front page and look at the recent topics?

Go directly to specific forums?

Go to the forum contents page?

Other?

C2E Continued Contributor

From the main page.

Click on C2E Forums, click New Posts. Browse topics that interest me.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by lobbdogg View Post
    From the main page.

+ 1
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Scan "Recent Topics" on front page
    Read new posts in any subscribed threads under "User Profile"
    Check "New Posts" for anything that might interest me

I scan the Latest Threads on the main page to see what's new, then delve into the forums and go from there.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lobbdogg View Post
    From the main page.

+ 1
    I actually just have a short cut that takes me right to new posts. If I'm looking for an old thread, I'll then go into the subsections, or use the search feature.

I open all the new threads, post in ones I like, then check subscriptions.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

C2E Continued Contributor

Usually new topics on the main page. Browse the Mass Transit forum.
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

C2E SME

I visit new posts.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I go directly to the forums and click on New Posts. I read and post in the topics that interest me, then click Mark Forums Read when I'm done.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

This is the greatest thread ever. I never bothered to click the "new posts" link. My C2E experience just improved greatly.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I have the new posts search as my bookmark.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

^ Same here, in the bookmarks toolbar.

Should/could the "new posts" be presented at the bottom of the home page.?

Say as a page two for those that scroll / swipe down?

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/

Last edited by KC; 12-02-2012 at 09:28 AM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I have a "new posts" shortcut on my quick links bar. I first read the threads with the checkmarks (subscribed). Then cruise for any interesting threads in the rest. And then "mark read".

Eve

Since our main page is rather dead and since our membership (active posters is rather unchanging), I just want to bump this thread up a few years to see what others might say.

And since c2e doesn't really get any 'press', and may be undergoing change, just trying to get people thinking about how others could better 'discover' c2e.

Ideas anyone?
    i.e. whenever we start a new thread should we put a link to the should we put this link in at the bottom or something? anything?

OTHER TOPICS OF INTEREST:
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/index.php

Also, I find it interesting how google searches never seem to turn up c2e threads that I know have discussed certain issues. I assume no one links to c2e on other sites, thus it isn't 'graded' very well by the algorithms.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Just curious...

Do you go to the front page and look at the recent topics?

Go directly to specific forums?

Go to the forum contents page?

Other?
    How do you approach the C2E forum?

No, I usually look first for obscure threads you constantly start .

When you eat your Smarties do you eat the red ones last?.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

I don't discriminate based on skin colour.

Rather than "New Posts" I have the "Today's Posts" link bookmarked. Shows 'read' threads along with 'unread' threads.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

I've bookmarked my subscriptions, then I check New Posts.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Since our main page is rather dead and since our membership (active posters is rather unchanging), I just want to bump this thread up a few years to see what others might say.

And since c2e doesn't really get any 'press', and may be undergoing change, just trying to get people thinking about how others could better 'discover' c2e.

Ideas anyone?
    i.e. whenever we start a new thread should we put a link to the should we put this link in at the bottom or something? anything?

OTHER TOPICS OF INTEREST:
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/index.php

Also, I find it interesting how google searches never seem to turn up c2e threads that I know have discussed certain issues. I assume no one links to c2e on other sites, thus it isn't 'graded' very well by the algorithms.
    If you don't pay, you don't rate. That is one way to improve the standings in google et al.

I already shell out enough.

As for approaching this (the OP topic), I do look at new threads first, then scan for typical issues/keywords.

With respect to discovering C2E, many people know of its existence. Posting is another issue. Facebook et al have a more international audience, so that is a major factor in having the opinions expressed there than here. Plus, Facebook et al have this online "filter bubble" - aka, you really can just post with your own "friends" and have an online love fest without having your opinion questioned. Here, your post is read by all.

I may change the name of this forum to reflect its maturation, and the times. That may garner more participation. More to come.
    Ow

"Love fest" is an appropriate term. Facebook is so limiting, it's boring. The power of the Internet is to bring together people to discuss topics of interest that would only intersect via cyberspace and Facebook just returns people to their safe, old conventional world.

One key battle going on is: news vs encyclopedic knowledge, between emotionally driven reaction vs thoughtful, timeless strategic thinking.

In the early 1990s the Internet freed people from the many time, memory and access limits that dominated and distorted life before the Internet. Pre Internet, the way many of us interacted was with people we knew already (via the phone, and long distance was hugely expensive) and we saw the world via "current events" only (via newspapers, TV, radio). Newspapers decidec what they wanted everyone to know. Facebook just dragged people back into that world.

Before the Internet we were mentally bound by limits of our associations and bound to the present time. Again, Facebook and the newspapers never left that world. Though some newspapers sometimes link to old related news stories so some minimal depth of knowledge might be available. Newspapers are dying though, so the Internet is just changing into a mindless minute by minute tabloid news source among like thinking groups of people on Facebook or Twitter.

Then there's rare forums like c2e. Though, discussion forum programers were likely raised and often mentally stuck in the old world and so logically put the "New Posts" button at the top, fortunately they threw in the "Search" button under some sense that they could exist in a new world, in the new tech world, where Internet discussions could and should be able to jump time and so eliminate all the restrictions time put on life. Otherwise, you've just recreated the call-in talk radio show.

Now people can discover and discuss common interests with a few clicks (Google though mostly decides) and more importantly our time horizon can be stretched dramatically to the point that life can be more thoughtful and informed like living in a university study hall rather than the old purely reactionary "today's headline" state our parents and grandparents suffered with. Now today, if you missed "today headline", today's post cab, you can transport yourself back in time and restore it to the present to comment or provide it to a whole new set of eyes. (Like newspapers do with This Day in History regurgitation.)
    Last edited by KC; 06-05-2016 at 09:17 AM.