Thread: Edmonton Police Service switching to black and white cars

Default Edmonton Police Service switching to black and white cars

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...385/story.html

Will have to re-calibrate my "threat recognition" system hahah. Good thing I hardly drive anymore. Here are samples of the 3 future candidates.

Last edited by bolo; 04-09-2011 at 12:32 AM.

I like the change.

The European solution...
    http://www.automotto.com/entry/world...wheel-forward/

“There’s about four or five companies and businesses that have a car from the front and the back looks exactly like an EPS car, and there’s several that from the side look like an EPS car, and I don’t think that’s a good thing at all,” Knecht said during an appearance on 630 CHED’s Cop Talk.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Apparently they have some cars already painted up and ready to hit the streets. So we should be seeing the E P S version of Adam-12 soon.
    Last edited by Barry N; 04-09-2011 at 01:30 PM.
    Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

C2E Continued Contributor

I've always liked the colors of the Lethbridge City Police, because they used the black and white colors.

I like the fact EPS is going this way as well. Even though it is more of a cosmetic change. Almost makes them seem more badass.

Quote Originally Posted by lobbdogg View Post
    Almost makes them seem more badass.
    Doubly so if they pick the Charger.

Seems like money wasted.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Dupa View Post
    Seems like money wasted.
    Wrong. Better visability on the streets is good.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Bad boys, bad boys, what you gonna do .....

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

It doesn't really matter what the cars look like, as long as they are cost effective and can do the job. White, black & white, the old yellow. If nothing else, black & white might actually stick out more than the current white cars.

Hey speeder! Look in you sideview mirror!

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Seems like money wasted.
    if the cars need replacement anyway ordering one colour scheme over another isn't likely to affect the cost enough to make the difference - if any - money wasted.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

If it makes the cars more distinctive then it's not a waste. The cars need to stand out.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Cars also need to be painted, choice of color is no issue.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by KingswayGuy View Post
    Seems like money wasted.
    Wrong. Better visability on the streets is good.
    If it's new cars, & not old ones being painted, I'm okay with it. But to go and repaint the entire fleet would be a waste. If they want visibility, and I can't see them needing that all the time, then paint them purple.

^Yes they want visibility. They have chosen black and white instead of purple.

I'm more interested in their graphic scheme than the colours personally. Some guy in the paper today was talking about the visibility aspect but it's a silly argument. If they want visible attention during accidents or things like that, they have their lights on top.

Quote Originally Posted by armin View Post
    I'm more interested in their graphic scheme than the colours personally. Some guy in the paper today was talking about the visibility aspect but it's a silly argument. If they want visible attention during accidents or things like that, they have their lights on top.
    They want the visibility at all times, not only during accidents. The theory is that when people are aware that the police are around crime rates drop. The current colour scheme is easily confused with other vehicles and people tend not to realize the police are around. Thus changing the colours to a scheme nobody else uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    They want the visibility at all times, not only during accidents. The theory is that when people are aware that the police are around crime rates drop. The current colour scheme is easily confused with other vehicles and people tend not to realize the police are around. Thus changing the colours to a scheme nobody else uses.
    Then might I suggest pantone 021u?

It works both ways. People are used to b & w and they identify it through social upbringing and entertainment. Pushing some 'original colour' negates the whole recognization factors. It's like choosing a purple colour for red lights.

Then might I suggest pantone 021u?

It works both ways. People are used to b & w and they identify it through social upbringing and entertainment. Pushing some 'original colour' negates the whole recognization factors. It's like choosing a purple colour for red lights.
    They're not pushing an original colour. They're changing to black and white, which, as you pointed out, everyone culturally associates with the police.

Default Mad Max says ...

Gotta go with the "Interceptor" scheme. "Last of the V8s." (Although the Ford model is apparently a V6.)

Could it be that the once-ubiquitous child-standard "What's black and white with a cherry on top?" might make a return?

If you type in "police car" on Google images most of the police cars are blue on white including the huge fleet of the NYPD and most of Europe.

If you remember the Blues Brothers, the Chicago force were all blue on white on blue on white on blue on white... LOL

I don't care what color they paint them, I just want more of them patroling our streets and ticketing all the people who do not properly.

Chevy Caprice, with a 6.0 liter...I believe the 3rd pic in the OP

http://www.chevroletcapriceppv.com/p...e-Brochure.pdf

Chevy Caprice, with a 6.0 liter...I believe the 3rd pic in the OP

http://www.chevroletcapriceppv.com/p...e-Brochure.pdf

Sorry, bad choice, the Caprice does not have the optional forward firing GE "we bring good things to life" M134 Vulcan minigun with 3,000 rpm for slowing down speeders.

I agree that high visibility is good, but this color scheme is not highly visible except from the side. It might be better if the hood and trunk were white like the doors (or doors, hood and trunk black with the rest white). Ideally though, bright red or yellow would probably be the most visible.

^I think that they are going more for recognition than literal visibility. Like the article says, there are many non-police vehicles that sport similar colors and lights. This is very confusing and a terrible way of doing things imho.

For example:

Edmonton Police Service

CN Police
    Last edited by bolo; 06-09-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Instead of going retro maybe we should look to the future:

Of course we'll need these for the chases:

Given budget cuts we'll probably end up with these:

Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    ^I think that they are going more for recognition than literal visibility. Like the article says, there are many non-police vehicles that sport similar colors and lights. This is very confusing and a terrible way of doing things imho.

For example:

Edmonton Police Service

CN Police (internal security)
    CN Police is a different beast they aren't JUST a rent-a-cop outfit but have the powers and authority of peace officers on railroad property, this is granted under Section 44 of the Railway Safety Act
    http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a...e-23.html#h-35

So them having official looking vehicles isn't just for show, they do have a legal mandate.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    CN Police is a different beast they aren't JUST a rent-a-cop outfit but have the powers and authority of peace officers on railroad property, this is granted under Section 44 of the Railway Safety Act
    http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a...e-23.html#h-35

So them having official looking vehicles isn't just for show, they do have a legal mandate.
    I have spoken to several CN constables, and they have no authority outside CN property. And they mentioned that they are often approached by people thinking they are EPS when driving public streets. It's fine and dandy for them to have an official looking vehicle, but not one that is strikingly similar to the Edmonton Police Service!
    Last edited by bolo; 06-09-2011 at 04:44 PM.

The federal act gives them authority 500m from railway lands or property, that is almost a 1/4" mile.

^Ok, fair enough. But that doesn't mean that EPS should have a similar looking cruiser to them.

We had yellow and white earlier, everybody went to white about 1990 because of the higher resale value and cheaper paint cost. Not sure if CN or EPS using white cars came 1st.

At what point does it become impersonation?

The Alberta Peace Officer Act states
    "If the Minister is of the opinion that the uniform, insignia, vehicle markings or other signs or symbols employed by a person or organization are so similar to those used by a peace officer that the public or a member of the public might be misled, the Minister may, by order in writing served on that person or organization, require the person or organization to desist from the use of that uniform or insignia or those markings, signs or symbols."

The full text is here;
    http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/P03P5.pdf

But the Justice minister can order a company to desist, I think Palladin Security might be pushing the issue a bit, but then our cops will probably never drive Prii (Toyota's pluralization of Prius)
    Last edited by sundance; 06-09-2011 at 05:08 PM.

^The example wasn't meant to accuse anyone of impersonation. Just to highlight why the EPS thinks that their color scheme is not particularly distinctive and has decided to switch to the black/white scheme. CN Police cruisers are common within the city limits (Walker Yard and surrounding area) which can be quite confusing. One of the CN Constables once joked with me that their cruisers add to the perception that the north side is more heavily patrolled.

^^ Prii. I like that. Anyway, 'black cars look better in the rain, da-da-da da-da-da da-da'.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I like this design myself. But you cant please everybody!
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Umm Komrade be careful you may have some birds crash bombing into them.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    ^^ Prii. I like that. Anyway, 'black cars look better in the rain, da-da-da da-da-da da-da'.
    I think you actually mean ... ' black cars look better in the shade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m39piBT2vE
    Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

^ Ah! Thanks.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Looking at this photo - seems at least one car has already been converted?

(from this story: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ges-perry.html)

When the original article was printed they said they had already painted a bunch:

Knecht said he inspected a row of newly painted black and white cruisers Friday night and said the move had been well received by front line officers.

“They’re all fitted up in the garage and they look really good,” he said.

Partially Addicted to C2E

OPP have them here in Ontario and they're not distinctive until your close up, by which time they've nailed you for speeding. Actually, cruised by one today parked at the highway - cruised by at 120/km in a 100/km and he/she didn't bat an eye so...
    If the risk is little, the reward is little.

Calgary police cars to go black and white again
    ‘It’s about getting back to our roots,’ says Chief Rick Hanson
    BY CLARA HO, CALGARY HERALD APRIL 7, 2012

"Other police departments in North America, including Edmonton, Victoria, and Vancouver, are also returning to the classic colour scheme, but Thrower insists Calgary isn’t jumping on the bandwagon.

“We were doing our own thing when we suddenly realized everybody else was thinking the same thing.”

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...480/story.html

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post

I like this design myself. But you cant please everybody!
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Instead of going retro maybe we should look to the future:

Of course we'll need these for the chases:

Given budget cuts we'll probably end up with these:

I wonder how these are working out:

Ford reveals its first pursuit-rated hybrid police car | Driving

“Ford said at US$2.50 per gallon for gas, the hybrid would save a police department US$3,877 per year in fuel costs per vehicle. The price of the hybrid, available in the summer of 2018, isn’t being released just yet.”

https://postmediadriving.wordpress.c...rid-police-car