Thread: C K U A Radio worth fighting for.....

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default C K U A Radio worth fighting for.....

As we know C K UA Radio is moving into a new location shortly. Check out their huge music library.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6GcG...el_video_title
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

WARNING: Listen to CKUA for a week and you'll be hooked.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

^ That's for sure... I started listening to CKUA in 1981 and never left....

C2E Long Term Contributor

Wanted to resurrect this because I've reached a breaking point. Am almost done with commercial radio now.

The overly repetitive crap they churn out is boring me to tears. Really sick of "Uptown Funk". Meghan Trainor is horrible. Sonic is still stuck in 1995. I can only stomach so much Kim Mitchell on classic rock radio. Is there some Federal mandate that "Stompa" has to be played on the hour every hour on every station?? And don't get me started on the DJs and their shallow, inane blather.

I'm now switching the dial between CKUA and CBC2. I don't know a thing about jazz - it's a very deep pool to dive into, but I'm really starting to develop an appreciation for it. And everyone likes classical in some shape or form - c'mon don't tell me the scores from Star Wars and LOTR didn't move you.

Once in a while I'll still dial to a commercial station for new sounds. But for the most part I'll be listening to CKUA when I can. And I'll be donating if I can.

Hope you will too, music fans.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Get Sirius like the rest of us

I don't drive enough to warrant paying for satellite radio. And I would rather support a local station.
    CKUA, baby.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

CJSR has some excellent programming: Big A little a, In Box Shuffle, Trigger Cuts, Fortress of Soulitude and of course Clockwork Orange Juice as well as many others. Much of the news programming is worth a listen as well - Democracy Now, Terra Informa, a science show I can never remember the name of...

I've gone 100% net radio with InTune. It's free, minimal ads - not even close to mainstream radio (there's a subscription if you want ad free) and I get to choose whatever takes my fancy.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I can only stomach so much Kim Mitchell on classic rock radio. Is there some Federal mandate that "Stompa" has to be played on the hour every hour on every station??
    Yeah, it's the CRTC and the 35% (or whatever it is) Can Con rule. But it begs to question - why Stompa so much and not something else? Flavour of the year, I guess. Kind of like how often we all had to hear "Life is a Highway" by Tom Cochrane back in 1991/1992. Not a great tune by any means, but went International and we Canucks got to hear it twice as much. Meh.

FWIW, I gave up on radio in 2001. This was during the beginning of the Nickelback clones era, that over the next 5 years became intolerable. Since then, I just listen to the mp3 player with thousands of songs at my fingertips. It's been great.

As said, Sonic is still stuck in years past. I wish they would actually play some real alternative/indie, not this corporate playlist crap they've had since a couple years after going on air around 2004. I don't like the music much but do listen to Garner some mornings in the car - the man makes me laugh. I'm not much of a morning person so if someone can get me smiling, all the power to them.

CBC2, CKUA and CJSR play some alternative rock and pop, thankfully not the same old Offspring songs from the 90s being peddled on commercial radio. One of these shows on CKUA is by Terry David Mulligan, a guy I've always had time for since his VJ days on CBC and MuchMusic.

Terry David Mulligan? I loved that guy in the 80s when I was first introduced to music videos as a kid.

I picked up a Technics digital tuner a few months ago for the stereo, it's in the rack but I haven't even plugged it in. I think I'll root around here for a RCA cable and a loop antenna and see if I can pull in CJSR & CKUA. Used to be a big fan of the former in the 90's. Thanks for the idea!

Mulligan? Too much gab - y'know, the big complaint against mainstream stations. The guy bored the pants off of me. Not a pretty sight.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Actually, generic gabbing doesn't bother me us much as the whole sexual innuendo thing that most commercial FM radio has become. At one time, it was actually about the music but that ship has since sailed long ago.

That's the other reason why I quit listening. The whole dumbing down of the experience.

Every station, even Sirius stations have limited rotation songplay. So that there always seems to be only one song by a favorite artist, and very few of those favorite artists being played. I suspect its due to copyright and how much they pay for catalog but its unfortunate in a universe of downloadable limitless content how limited airplay is.

Radio, any radio is boring because of how quickly and how often its play catalog is repeated.

That and the inane commentary that I want to listen to never. Only time I ever listen to radio is driving and I want to be hearing music not somebodies lame idea of humor.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Mulligan? Too much gab - y'know, the big complaint against mainstream stations. The guy bored the pants off of me. Not a pretty sight.
    Erica Ehm was the only one that didn't make me change the channel. I was um, transfixed..

She was a pretty sight.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Anybody remember Rock 106 KEZE Spokane in the 1980s & 90's? Needed cable FM for it to work but was such an awesome station, geared for music, for fans of music. Mostly hard rock and no bullsh!t involved. Then it disappeared in the mid 90s and a pop station replaced it.

How I miss it so, although I probably wouldn't listen today due to the inferior sound of FM radio, but for a little background listening (cleaning kitchen or something) I would.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KEZE

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Actually, generic gabbing doesn't bother me us much as the whole sexual innuendo thing that most commercial FM radio has become. At one time, it was actually about the music but that ship has since sailed long ago.

That's the other reason why I quit listening. The whole dumbing down of the experience.
    It depends on the station. The DJ banter on pop stations seem to be mostly about celebrity gossip or some social media meme, while the rock stations lean towards the usual shock jock shticks. Yes, some of the DJs on CKUA and CJSR are boring dullards but most of them are discussing the music and artists they are playing. At this point I'll take that over some airhead gushing over the boy band ju jour.

I'd rather listen to a marching band play Stars & Stripes Forever while being fed into a woodchipper than hear Garner Andrews enunciate a single syllable ever again.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

The DJ banter on pop stations seem to be mostly about celebrity gossip or some social media meme
    This is true. And I couldn't be bothered listening to celebrity, rich people's problems from some bonehead DJ. It does absolutely nothing for me. And as a newsjunkie, it's hard to try to avoid it..

I'd rather listen to a marching band play Stars & Stripes Forever while being fed into a woodchipper than hear Garner Andrews enunciate a single syllable ever again.
    LOL why?

Blathering nothing through my radio is sickening along with poor music cycles and ads that make me sick.

CKUA for John Worthington and what he has to say about some good old discs, some of Grant Stovel's stuff (can get tired of his voice though), Peter North with Dead End and Detours all the way, Sarah Hoyles' insights and programs, and Roy's Record Room always a must...

But I do go for a lot of classical programming on CBC Radio2, and hands down Laurie Brown with my late-night alternative music. I'm young and love to download and blast my ipod, but in the car and at home for good background music it's these two stations.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

highlander

I can get tired of Andy Donnelly, and Allison Brock's fawning over sponsors is very trying. Love the music, though, so I'm tempted to sponsor an hour on the condition that she not thank me once, not even indirectly.

I am liking the jazz shows on CKUA and CBC. I know very little about the music, but these shows are helping me appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

It depends on the station. The DJ banter on pop stations seem to be mostly about celebrity gossip or some social media meme, while the rock stations lean towards the usual shock jock shticks. Yes, some of the DJs on CKUA and CJSR are boring dullards but most of them are discussing the music and artists they are playing. At this point I'll take that over some airhead gushing over the boy band ju jour.

This is the reason why CBC's Edmonton AM is the top morning show in Edmonton. Mark Connolly's show is informative about Edmonton issues. Most other morning show crews insult the intelligence of listeners with the latest Bachelor updates or Grade 8 toilet humour.

It's going back a bit now, but the only guy I used to like on CKUA was Bill Coull. His tastes in jazz pretty much fitted mine and he was very smooth and pleasant to listen to.

When I used to work nights, there was a late night jazz show on CBC. I can't recall the guy's name, but he too had a nice delivery.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    It's going back a bit now, but the only guy I used to like on CKUA was Bill Coull. His tastes in jazz pretty much fitted mine and he was very smooth and pleasant to listen to.

When I used to work nights, there was a late night jazz show on CBC. I can't recall the guy's name, but he too had a nice delivery.

The CBC late night jazz host you're thinking about is Ross Porter. He is now at Jazz 91 in Toronto [which can be heard on line ]
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Ross Porter, that's the guy. Thanks.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Terry David Mulligan? I loved that guy in the 80s when I was first introduced to music videos as a kid.

I picked up a Technics digital tuner a few months ago for the stereo, it's in the rack but I haven't even plugged it in. I think I'll root around here for a RCA cable and a loop antenna and see if I can pull in CJSR & CKUA. Used to be a big fan of the former in the 90's. Thanks for the idea!
    If you're a fan of TDM, here's his Mulligan Stew website. He has weekly playlists from his shows:
    http://www.mulliganstew.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Wanted to resurrect this because I've reached a breaking point. Am almost done with commercial radio now.

The overly repetitive crap they churn out is boring me to tears. Really sick of "Uptown Funk". Meghan Trainor is horrible. Sonic is still stuck in 1995. I can only stomach so much Kim Mitchell on classic rock radio. Is there some Federal mandate that "Stompa" has to be played on the hour every hour on every station?? And don't get me started on the DJs and their shallow, inane blather.

I'm now switching the dial between CKUA and CBC2. I don't know a thing about jazz - it's a very deep pool to dive into, but I'm really starting to develop an appreciation for it. And everyone likes classical in some shape or form - c'mon don't tell me the scores from Star Wars and LOTR didn't move you.

Once in a while I'll still dial to a commercial station for new sounds. But for the most part I'll be listening to CKUA when I can. And I'll be donating if I can.

Hope you will too, music fans.
    I was sitting in the Timmys at Jasper Ave and 107 St this afternoon, and they were playing NOW! Radio. In the time I was there, they played "Stompa" followed by Meghan Trainor's latest aural painfest and then "Uptown Funk". They must have been trolling me, I just know it!

I love CKUA, but for the past couple of years I've been tuning in to"Tempo" and "Shift" on CBC Radio 2. Both presenters know their stuff and they play marvelous music. I once was in a friend's car, as we went on a shopping trip. His radio was tuned to CISN. We drove 20 blocks, listening to nothing but commercials. Simply terrible, and I couldn't help but wonder why is he listening to this stuff? I do not listen to commercial radio ever.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

When I have a passenger I shut the radio off. Slim chance of them liking my crap and also easier to converse. I listen to CHED and News 88 anyway, so nobody cares for that. Sometimes I listen to old cowboy music and that's about it. Getting old I guess. My Supertramp, Meatloaf, Heart, Styx, and other CDs are crammed in the bottom of the glove box somewhere these days.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 17-02-2015 at 12:28 PM.

If your looking for local stuff, Edmontunes has some great Rock, Roots, Blues, Jazz and Country. All local, original artists.

Totally unbiased opinion...

EDIT: You can add Edmontunes as a favourite in the Tunein app on your mobile device.

We currently have 128 artists on the station, and growing!
    Last edited by lat; 17-02-2015 at 12:48 PM.

Brian Golightly has been kicking *** on Mid-Morning Mojo the last couple weeks. I don't know if he's filling in for Baba or if this is something more permanent. Whatever it is, check out 9 to noon on CKUA for great tunes.

'Like the bumblebee, it shouldn’t fly, but it does': CKUA celebrates 90 years on the air
    Against the odds, Edmonton-based all-music station survives, thrives and looks to a bright future
    http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...n-the-air.html

Been saying for years now, CBC is my station going to / from work, but my weekends are for CKUA!
    ... gobsmacked

^ I flip back and forth between CKUA and CBC 2, with the occasional flip to CJSR. Once in a while I hit up Sonic 102.9 for anything new but once the same boring old crap kicks in then I am back over to CKUA. I also donate to CKUA whenever I am able to.

I'm locked on CKUA and a monthly donor. The only reason I switch away is for TV or my own music collection. Even on the road if I have Internet I have CKUA. I've turned a few people living in other parts of the world on to the station over the last decade or so and they've been quite delighted about it and tell me of other people in their office asking what's playing and some becoming fans too.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Congrats to CKUA!
    www.decl.org

Love their new 'classic' sign on Jasper Ave.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Speaking of CKUA...

CKUA announcer says he was ‘elbowed’ out
    http://www.gigcity.ca/2017/10/25/cku...s-elbowed-out/
    Beyond everything else, North says he wasn’t comfortable with the financial stress he felt at the station.

He says, “It’s been 17 years of watching an institution of diminishing returns. It’s certainly not the place I walked into in 2001, which was in a very financially stable situation, which I think listener-supported radio should be. We got through that debacle of 20 years ago where it went off the air, and were in good shape. But slowly changes were made, decisions were made, and now CKUA seems to be teetering on financial problems again. The stress around that place is unbelievable. I worry more about the future of CKUA than for me.”
    Last edited by JamesL; 20-11-2017 at 10:33 PM.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

I am an avid CKUA listener and enjoy all of the hosts some more than others but all a delight to listen with the exception of, you guessed it Peter North. He always wanted to tell everyone who would listen everything he new about everything. For me it was a real struggle to listen to his endless recap of facts and his monotone voice.
    I cannot speak of the financial situation at CKUA but at least I don’t have dread finding him on the airwaves.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

I'm a regular listener and I've always liked his style. His stories flow naturally unlike most CBC2 announcers and their obligatory anecdotes, and he's easy to listen to. There are other announcers on CKUA with styles that really take away from the music. Like Alison Brock. I've fantasized about sponsoring an hour just so I could tell her to not to spend half the time gushing about how wonderful everyone is but I don't think she could do it.
    There can only be one.

Just a question here as I have no familiarity with CKUA but is it AM or FM now. Afairc it used to be AM. I find it nearly impossible to listen to AM radio. I find the audio really bad. Reminds me always of transistor radios and that awful audio.
    Even with FM I find the clarity is not that great with stations now.

^^^Glenco for the win. Couldn't have put it better myself. Time to take the broom to some of the other mouldy oldies on that station.

Quote Originally Posted by replacement View Post
    just a question here as i have no familiarity with ckua but is it am or fm now. Afairc it used to be am. I find it nearly impossible to listen to am radio. I find the audio really bad. Reminds me always of transistor radios and that awful audio.
    Even with fm i find the clarity is not that great with stations now.
    94.9 fm
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Often thought that while the Legislature was in session, CKUA should be broadcasting the daily Question Period proceedings from 1:30PM to 3PM.

I now on the many roads trips I've taken, from about Fox Creek, through Valleyview, to Bezanson, CKUA is the only radio station on the dial.

Geez that would be an audience-killer!
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...