Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carls Jr headed to Edmonton

Drove by last night and the drive thru line was packed. The novelty will wear off soon I'm sure but it's a busy place right now.

C2E SME

Well I'm going to be stopping by there to give it a try although until they open one up on the southside I won't be visiting there that often.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

West Side location is open.

Thoughts:

1. They bring your order to your table
    2. Burgers decent (for fast food variety). Fries - meh.
    3. Prices definitely ~20-30% higher than those in the States, and lower portion sizes. 'Murica.

First One is Always Free

An old roommate of my wife and I used to live in California and raved about Carl's Jr, so when I saw the one open here in the West End (we're new to the area having always lived downtown or southside) we loaded our little guy up in the stroller and off we went. With all respect to our old roomie, Carl's didn't live up to the hype IMO. As Punjabi above points out, they do indeed bring your order to the table, which is a nice addition. The burgers were alright...taste and style wise to this burger freak they seem to most closely resemble Dairy Queen's burgers, possibly with a touch of Burger King thrown in for good measure. The fries were not that great; bland (and possibly a bit undercooked but that's a minor quibble). Easily the best thing we ordered were the chicken fingers (for our eighteen month old)...you can tell it's actual chicken in those things, unlike, say, McDonald's McNuggets (which is about as 'processed' as you can get!)

And, yeah, the prices were a little steep, especially for fast food. For two combo meals and the chicken fingers the total was almost $30.

Job No 174459523-001
    Description: To construct interior and exterior alterations to an existing Restaurants Use building (new facade, removal of enclosed patio, and new vestibule, no increase in Public Space - reduction in overall gross floor area - Carl's Junior)
    Plan 4243KS Blk 1 Lot 20
    Applicant: TRIUMPH CONSTRUCTION & MANAGEMENT INC.
    Create Date: 6/16/2015 3:50:15 PM

I hadn't realized that Arbys was shutdown. Sad it see it go but always happy to see a Carls!! That parking lot get insane at the best of times never mind the lunch rush. Hopefully they can fix traffic flow a bit.

The west side location is good. I enjoyed, my take is the meat is a lot like Burger King (you can taste the flame grill), but the toppings are better.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

South Side location on Argyll/75 Street was open last Saturday.
    Non semper erit aestas

I'd rather C2E than work!

Carl Jr in downtown Waterloo Ontario were out of business 3 or 4 months ago because this burger is too much $$

Union Burger in downtown Kitchener is very good , very reasonable prices for burgers

http://www.ubburger.com/
    Last edited by jagators63; 16-07-2016 at 07:46 PM.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Yesterday while Top_Dawg was guzzling beer and cheering on the Flames, he noticed that an exciting bit of Canadiana is developing in the great white north.

Carl's Jr. is advertising their latest menu offering.

POUTINE BURGER !

Top_Dawg figgered this concoction was something that came around once a year during K-Days.

Nope.

Now available everyday.

Who eats this ***** ?

LOL! That's got to be one of the most disgusting looking burgers of all time. It puts me in mind of that place whose TV ad used to feature the cooks skating around in the grease on the kitchen floor.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Classic.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ions-1.4250469

And Top_Dawg absolutely loves this guy's reaction.

The co-franchisee of a Carl's Jr. in central Alberta was temporarily barred from his own restaurant's kitchen after a host of unhygienic behaviours that even "shocked" a public health inspector.

"His reaction was, 'I'm the owner' and then 'Too bad.' He made it clear to the staff as well that they don't say anything, 'Don't talk about what I'm doing, I do what I feel like doing.'"

It's good to be the king.

Because Carls Jr is a place where people care about the garbage they eat. What a disgusting franchise in general. How do these even exist? That said customers should be able to expect proper food handling but whats the chances in fast food cesspools like this.

But it isn't isolated. While viewing youtube of the kitchen at Atlas Restaurant feature in Rogers place we observed the chef cross contaminating at least 3 times in a public promotional video. I recall even counting off the instances of contamination and posting them on the "must try' thread. The chef in question was highly reputed and had been on some TV show before. if an establishment can't even use safe handling in their promotional video for sure I'm not paying an arm and a leg to go to it.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Brutal. Someone needs to remind him of the 1993 Jack in the Box E. Coli Outbreak. Not pretty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_J..._coli_outbreak
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Brutal. Someone needs to remind him of the 1993 Jack in the Box E. Coli Outbreak. Not pretty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_J..._coli_outbreak
    From that article:

"The majority of the victims were under 10 years old.[7][8] Four children died and 178 other victims were left with permanent injury including kidney and brain damage.[9][10][11][12][13]"
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993..._coli_outbreak

Carl's Jr's response has been pathetic and I know I'll never eat at one of their establishments again. Crap on them if you like, but McDonald's would never let something like this happen, and the response would be different.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Carls Jr IS PATHETIC. Everything about the chain. I have no idea how anybody could even support them or give them money. I guess I expect a bit more from orgs than this in 2017.

https://www.eater.com/2017/3/29/1510...slutburger-ads

Even this pathetic chain, which for a dozen years defended this contempt for women has FINALLY realized that most people find the adds pathetic.

or this

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/246487#

Regardless of ones view, and of their taste in food, or allowances of what is right or wrong, this chain apparently needing sex to sell burgers in NA is indicative at once of how inept, or at best gimmicked, the chain actually is. Any chain requiring the use of sex to sell grease dripping fast food should have its customers questioning the reputation and integrity of the place. The first thing I would do is question the integrity, the next would be to walk out telling them just that.

I would be embarrassed to set foot in such a disgusting org.

My preference, honestly, would be a Canada that doesn't even allow such disgusting crap chains like this to cross the border and setup shop here. That people patronize this garbage is indication they just don't pay attention to anything. I'm interested how a father would justify bringing his family into such a place. Or is this a place where men just go alone to chow down at a place that equates women to sizzling meat on a bun.
    Last edited by Replacement; 26-08-2017 at 09:33 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Yeah, this guy was Trump's Labour secretary pick until even the republicans couldn't handle him. With him running Carl's Jr, none of this surprised me.

Puzder withdrew his nomination to be Labor Secretary in February after Senate Republicans became troubled about his acknowledgment that he belatedly paid taxes on a former housekeeper who was not authorized to work in the United States. Puzder’s opposition to significant minimum wage hikes and what he called “overregulation” rankled labor groups and Democrats, who questioned his ability to oversee the agency in charge of protecting worker rights.

His past comments on automation in the restaurant industry also became a point of contention. “They’re always polite, they always upsell, they never take a vacation, they never show up late, there’s never a slip-and-fall, or an age, sex or race discrimination case,” he had said about replacing employees with automation in an interview with Business Insider.

C2E Continued Contributor

All this talk of Carls Jr has me craving a Superstar burger. One of my favorite burger joints in the city, even better than 5 guys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12