Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930
Results 2,901 to 2,963 of 2963

Thread: South LRT | Health Sciences to Century Park | Completed

I don't like how "take the bus for the duration of their trip" is the last alternative, almost an afterthought. This should be the primary message they try to get out.

It's incredible how many park and riders have never even considered taking a bus to and from the LRT station. Not because of snobbery or scheduling or waiting at bus stops or whatever but because they never ever consciously considered the idea. That's a failure on ETS marketing and media that keeps emphasizing Park and Ride like it's the only way to take LRT.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I know some people who find that their bus routes are highly inconvenient - so they either use the R&R or just drive to downtown. Fixing the public transit system would go a long way to reducing the demand for P&R.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Agreed with SDM.

While there are some places that have good bus service to an LRT station, they are the exception.

I'd define "good" as "frequent service (<10 minutes at rush hour) in more or less straight lines."

Putting in the much-discussed "high frequency/straight line" system would go a very very long distance to boosting bus ridership everywhere, including to LRT stations.

Improving the attractiveness of the LRT (stationmasters for safety perceptions, upping frequency/capacity even further, and fixing the Metro Line) would also help boost numbers, of course.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

While it is nice to have the option to drive to LRT stations, hopefully this will encourage 25% more people to bus there.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I know that it's not always ideal, and I totally understand people choosing alternatives. But I think there's a lot of LRT users that haven't even contemplated taking the bus. Have you ever heard this conversation?

"I have to get to Century Park by 630am because all the park and ride spots fill up. Then I end up at work over an hour early, it's so annoying."

"Why don't you take the bus to Century Park?"

"The bus takes 15 minutes, it only takes me 5 minutes to drive!"

"But you could leave your house 45 minutes later and still be at work on time."

"Oh..."

C2E SME

^LOL
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E SME

I really like taking the LRT and I don't mind taking the bus except for rush hour when the busses are jammed with more people than it should have to keep things comfortable. As a matter of fact I'm the same way with the LRT. I've sometime even waited for the next train to not be so crowded.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Taking the bus to LRT station isn't the problem I think most people have, its going to the other way. LRT to bus... Oh, just missed the bus by a minute... gotta wait 30 minutes for the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Taking the bus to LRT station isn't the problem I think most people have, its going to the other way. LRT to bus... Oh, just missed the bus by a minute... gotta wait 30 minutes for the next one.
    And while Downtown is a large employment node & the LRT does a reasonable job of servicing post secondary education, most Edmontonians would need to go bus->bus or bus->lrt->bus or some other multi-bus clusterjam of failure to get to work & the lack of any sort of intelligent mixed use around 95% of large transit stops precludes multitasking errands during your commute.
    Last edited by noodle; 31-08-2016 at 10:32 AM. Reason: fixed my arrows
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Just have to get a job at WEM I guess. Just drive to work and have all the free parking I need.

Building a few multi level free parking lots on city owned vacant land downtown would be nice. I've noticed towns around Edmonton have torn out all their parking meters and have free parking to get people to come downtown. I think that's cheaper than multi billion dollar LRT

Oh ya, need the status symbols to show visitors we are indeed a big modern city. Lol. Kill drumbones! Kill drumbones ! Lol

You realize that those parkade cost about 60,000$ per stall...

There is no such thing as free parking. The cost is just deferred somewhere else.

Increasing parking fees at LRT terminals is not the best answer to enticing public transit users. This just resets the cost, increasing the consideration that people may actually drive their vehicle the whole way.

Rather, this is looking at the wrong problem, that the feeder routes are poor, and time inefficient. As others have mentioned use good frequency and proper straight line routes and more people would be inclined to leave vehicle parked at home. That is supposed to be a goal.

The reserved monthly parking, while being a reasonable deal, offers nothing to facilitate users that would be less regular, and that only need to go downtown occasionally. Why such a subsidy of monthly users and high costs of parking for other occasional users?

Lastly, as anybody in such neighborhoods realizes increasing parking costs, and not having adequate free parking at LRT terminus or stations results in people just finding other nearby places to park and constantly occupying street parking in entire neighborhoods. In this regard its somewhat irresponsible for a city to provide so little available parking, and then have that bleed over to surrounding neighborhood as a result.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^ As long as the newly paid parking lots remain mostly full we haven't really reduced the numbers of park& riders, have we? I agree that it would be worthwhile to have daily and hourly parking available for irregular users. There are lots of people who might be able to bus most of the time except for that one day when there's a kid to pick up somewhere, and I suspect that there are enough large-truck driving people from out of town who would prefer not to drive downtown (or to the hospital) for that once or twice a year appointment.
    There can only be one.

Most neighbourhoods around LRT stations have parking restrictions and those restrictions are heavily enforced.

Free parking at LRT stations isn't the answer to our transit woes. Encouraging council to proceed with better bus routing (high frequency/high speed/no more milk runs and removing the requirement to have a bus stop within 400 m of every dwelling) would be a much better battle to choose, rather than "Give us our free parking derp derp or we will drive all the way downtown where we will pay $300+ a month). Free parking at LRT stations is a negative to a better transit system.

Also, people make choices on where they live. If good transit is important to you, live somewhere that offers that. Don't expect good transit service in low density far off suburbs. As much as the city needs to improve bus service, peoples choices and considerations need to change as well.

^^I think any increment in parking cost readjusts calculations on whether people would rather drive than park and ride. Or use transit period. Increase in parking cost typically decreases demand in that cost. Indeed the city is banking on this increased levy altering peoples decisions. But without proper recognition that one of those decisions, for some users, would be to eschew use of public transit altogether.

Next, just my view on this but its seemingly the city consequencing users of the park and ride facility for using the facility. Instead of looking at the actual feeder route problem as stated. So that users are consequence due to ETS incompetence in providing better feeder access. The end result being is making public transit and increasingly worse option here instead of making it an increasingly attractive option.

Anytime you pull out the stick instead of the carrot questions deserve to be asked.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

'Increasing parking fees at LRT terminals is not the best answer to enticing public transit users. This just resets the cost, increasing the consideration that people may actually drive their vehicle the whole way.'

Or perhaps consider TAKING the bus to the LRT station. Works both ways.
    www.decl.org

Because we chose to live in the middle of nowhere.

Correlation, causation = effect!
    www.decl.org

Most neighbourhoods around LRT stations have parking restrictions and those restrictions are heavily enforced.

Free parking at LRT stations isn't the answer to our transit woes. Encouraging council to proceed with better bus routing (high frequency/high speed/no more milk runs and removing the requirement to have a bus stop within 400 m of every dwelling) would be a much better battle to choose, rather than "Give us our free parking derp derp or we will drive all the way downtown where we will pay $300+ a month). Free parking at LRT stations is a negative to a better transit system.

Also, people make choices on where they live. If good transit is important to you, live somewhere that offers that. Don't expect good transit service in low density far off suburbs. As much as the city needs to improve bus service, peoples choices and considerations need to change as well.
    This is Century park we are speaking of in this thread. Street parking, without restriction, is possible on 109st, parts of Saddleback, and Ermineskin and Bluequill. Perhaps the city will change enforcement in these neighborhoods but again that would be stick instead of carrot incentive. Agreed that the issue is the milk run feeder routes. If those are viably efficient they are used.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    'Increasing parking fees at LRT terminals is not the best answer to enticing public transit users. This just resets the cost, increasing the consideration that people may actually drive their vehicle the whole way.'

Or perhaps consider TAKING the bus to the LRT station. Works both ways.
    Consider why people are not taking the feeder busses in the first place?

C2E Continued Contributor

Right, because everyone that chooses to take the bus to an LRT station lives in the middle of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    ^^I think any increment in parking cost readjusts calculations on whether people would rather drive than park and ride. Or use transit period. Increase in parking cost typically decreases demand in that cost. Indeed the city is banking on this increased levy altering peoples decisions. But without proper recognition that one of those decisions, for some users, would be to eschew use of public transit altogether.

Next, just my view on this but its seemingly the city consequencing users of the park and ride facility for using the facility. Instead of looking at the actual feeder route problem as stated. So that users are consequence due to ETS incompetence in providing better feeder access. The end result being is making public transit and increasingly worse option here instead of making it an increasingly attractive option.

Anytime you pull out the stick instead of the carrot questions deserve to be asked.
    Do you think more people would "give up on transit altogether" if they had to pay for a park&ride spot than would give up on transit if they had to arrive an hour earlier to get one, or if they couldn't find one at all at the time they need to travel?
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post

Right, because everyone that chooses to take the bus to an LRT station lives in the middle of nowhere.
    Far from, but it is a very linear argument here. You choose to live further away from LRT hubs, from density, from central parts of the city, you should expect longer wait times for transit. Simple as that.
    www.decl.org

"Choose to live further away from LRT hubs" That comment is a bit off when it pertains to Century Park in what has been a disaster of a built out TOD. lol as well that the only developed portion of Century park has those residents have to walk AROUND the entire site and approx 7blocks distance to go 2 blocks west to the Transit Center. With this still being the inept case several years later. This is the worst example of TOD or Transit hub. Another fail on the part of the city in planning and decisions.

With the sum being that essentially far fewer than projected users live near this "transit hub" and not necessarily by choice in all cases.

This was a poorly devised, conceived transit terminus and it always was.
    Last edited by Replacement; 31-08-2016 at 07:37 PM.

@highlander

A lot of people these days work on flex time or just work around it. Instead of grabbing coffee, breakfast at home or before hitting LRT just grab it downtown somewhere and have a leisurely breakfast DT, knowing you will be on time for work, then having it elsewhere and wondering. Crisis averted

Its just creative use of time. I actually love flex work myself and anything to get out of the 9-5 rush.
    Last edited by Replacement; 31-08-2016 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post

Far from, but it is a very linear argument here. You choose to live further away from LRT hubs, from density, from central parts of the city, you should expect longer wait times for transit. Simple as that.
    Another fantastic post IanO, but I disagree. Many bus routes have piddy low frequency, and even those routes serve central areas.

By that same token - you choose to live in the central part of the city... you should expect.... ahh well we don't need to derail this thread do we? I'm sure you get my point already

This is exactly the conversation we need to be having.

How do we encourage people to take feeder buses to LRT? How do we improve the routes to LRT stations? This is low hanging fruit compared to fixing the entire ETS system.

I once got stuck on a bus with some ETS surveyors asking for comments and I made mention of the low frequency, confusing, milk run routes. They said they need more people riding to make efficient routes economical and more people complaining about the system for ETS to consider alternate approaches. Squeaky wheel and all.

That's what I think this whole interminable consultation phase is: just getting the public support in place for what everyone who's actually thought about how transit works knows needs to happen. Unfortunately the preliminary measures that they're taking now, trimming service on underused routes to provide better service elsewhere, is counterproductive.

I don't want the city to be cutting service and making frequency so low that it's useless, I want the route to be straightened out so that that same area can have tolerably frequent service at lower cost, at the expense of a slightly longer walk.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post

How do we encourage people to take feeder buses to LRT? How do we improve the routes to LRT stations? This is low hanging fruit compared to fixing the entire ETS system.

I once got stuck on a bus with some ETS surveyors asking for comments and I made mention of the low frequency, confusing, milk run routes. They said they need more people riding to make efficient routes economical and more people complaining about the system for ETS to consider alternate approaches. Squeaky wheel and all.
    The old ETS catch-22. Ridership is low on certain bus routes, so people don't take them, because the frequency is low, so ridership remains low, so people don't take them... Something is going to have to happen. The city needs to fix the bus routes, and then make a big appeal to the public that they've fixed the long outstanding issue, give it a bit of time and see if people actually start riding them. If no one starts riding them, re-adjust.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Has Impark starting enforcing the paid parking at CP ? I've seen a few cars parked in the paid area with no pass. Also, the line of parking at the East side of the lot is poorly marked. You can park ( 90 degree parking) there, but it's not posted where the paid parking begins. It's interesting to see how the free lot is full at 6:20, where as the reserved lot is almost empty. It's going to get ugly there in winter. Will have to be there earlier and earlier to get a spot... sigghhhhhh

The old ETS catch-22. Ridership is low on certain bus routes, so people don't take them, because the frequency is low, so ridership remains low, so people don't take them... Something is going to have to happen. The city needs to fix the bus routes, and then make a big appeal to the public that they've fixed the long outstanding issue, give it a bit of time and see if people actually start riding them. If no one starts riding them, re-adjust.
    Agree

Streamline routes, change policy from 400m walking distance from door to stop, to 400m as the crow flies. Reduce the number of stops, straighten routes, increase frequency etc...

We don't need stops 15 or 20 bus lengths apart in residential neighbourhoods.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Bump.

I know that it's not always ideal, and I totally understand people choosing alternatives. But I think there's a lot of LRT users that haven't even contemplated taking the bus. Have you ever heard this conversation?

"I have to get to Century Park by 630am because all the park and ride spots fill up. Then I end up at work over an hour early, it's so annoying."

"Why don't you take the bus to Century Park?"

"The bus takes 15 minutes, it only takes me 5 minutes to drive!"

"But you could leave your house 45 minutes later and still be at work on time."

"Oh..."

C2E SME

^definitely the logic of some does not make any sense.

^I bused for two years, I will never bus again. I didn't like the uncertainty of when it would arrive (due to traffic, road conditions, etc.), and I didn't like the comfort of it. I would take the train, even if meant a longer wait. Maybe I could be convinced on a shuttle bus though to an LRT, not sure.

What if the bus had gps connected to it to tell you exactly where it is and when it would arrive? http://etslive.edmonton.ca/

and my experience on the LRT certainly shows that it can be late too, or break down.

The bus isn't as bad as you make it out to be.

When I bussed I had a straight-line route to the LRT station, and 7.5 minute frequency. I can't say I minded the bus more than the LRT. I did transfer to the LRT even though the bus would get me there, but that was due to the indirect route and waits at intermediate stations.
    Now that there's a bendy bus every 15 minutes It's the bus that keeps me from using the transit more often.
    There can only be one.

Make the bus routes more efficient, get rid of the milk runs.

But even if they do that, the bus has a bad stigma to overcome.
    Transit buses are only used by those who can't afford a car; if you take a bus then your status as a human being is lowered.
    Transit buses are full of dangerous people who will mug, rape and kill you as soon as you sit down.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

If transit were more convenient then more people would use it, and that stigma would fade.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

Transit buses are only used by those who can't afford a car; if you take a bus then your status as a human being is lowered.
    Transit buses are full of dangerous people who will mug, rape and kill you as soon as you sit down.
    the LRT has this stigma too, just not as much.

It's not stigma if it's reasonable.

Transit buses are only used by those who can't afford a car;
    Almost exactly what I see, but there are a couple tolerable routes out there. Its the lurch-teeter-n-goes on the "question mark shaped" routes that are unbearable even without the half-hour waits.

Route 137 is positively "not bad", but that's because of its design.

if you take a bus then your status as a human being is lowered.
    Relative to the LRT, uh, okay, but a touch over-the-top.

video exhibit A

Yup, no dangerous people on the LRT... ever.

video exhibit B

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/crim...-beating-death

If you still don't believe me, I can find countless stories w/ out videos of people being attacked on the LRT... mostly the NE leg, but still.
    Last edited by Medwards; 21-09-2016 at 04:08 PM.

^ or google the events happening on the streets and convenience stores of Terwillegar, but most bus routes are still unbearable.

edit -- not even sure what your point is Meds, I know you agree the bus system needs revamping.

I was mostly responding to moahunter.

yes most bus routes should be majorly revamped but this city is stuck in yesterday and will spent tons of money building park n rides without doing what they should be doing - fixing bus routes so they are a palatable choice to average commuter

eh whats this about terwillegar? Not sure i understand the connection.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Century Park is getting a new look

Rezoning open house and Park & Ride relocation planned

November 24, 2016

Residents are invited to an open house about the proposed rezoning of the Century Park site (former Heritage Mall area), next to the Century Park LRT station. An application has also been made to amend the Kaskitayo Outline Plan to allow the rezoning.

Date: Wednesday, November 30, 2016
    Time: 6 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. (drop-in anytime)
    10605 - 42 Avenue
    The rezoning would update existing plans to allow more development flexibility, increase the residential density, and add a commercial main street. The open house is an opportunity to learn more about the proposal and provide feedback to the City and the applicant at this early stage in the review.

Park & Ride
    The current free parking section is moving to a new, paved location at Century Park due to private landowner development on the existing free parking site. The new site holds the same number of free stalls as the existing free parking section. Features include: paved parking lot; paved walkway to bus transit centre and LRT station; installed light fixtures; CCTV security cameras; blue emergency help phone.

Transit Park & Ride customers are reminded the number of free stalls in the new section remains the same but free parking remains limited. Customers are encouraged to join the waitlist for a paid stall, carpool, arrive early, take a bus to the LRT station, or use free parking with express bus service from Lewis Farms bus transit centre (87 Ave. west of Anthony Henday Dr.) or the Davies Lot (86 St. & 61 Ave.).
    http://www.mailoutinteractive.com/In...9320&qz=ef5b2f

Really? Full of dangerous people ...? I think someone has been watching Global Edmonton News a bit too much lately, either that or needs a medication adjustment.

Let me know the bus you are riding on - I will try avoid it.

^I'm pretty sure SDM was illustrating what the stigma is, not saying that he believed in it.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^I'm pretty sure SDM was illustrating what the stigma is, not saying that he believed in it.
    Ok - got it now. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Century Park is getting a new look

Rezoning open house and Park & Ride relocation planned

November 24, 2016

Residents are invited to an open house about the proposed rezoning of the Century Park site (former Heritage Mall area), next to the Century Park LRT station. An application has also been made to amend the Kaskitayo Outline Plan to allow the rezoning.

Date: Wednesday, November 30, 2016
    Time: 6 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. (drop-in anytime)
    10605 - 42 Avenue
    The rezoning would update existing plans to allow more development flexibility, increase the residential density, and add a commercial main street. The open house is an opportunity to learn more about the proposal and provide feedback to the City and the applicant at this early stage in the review.

Park & Ride
    The current free parking section is moving to a new, paved location at Century Park due to private landowner development on the existing free parking site. The new site holds the same number of free stalls as the existing free parking section. Features include: paved parking lot; paved walkway to bus transit centre and LRT station; installed light fixtures; CCTV security cameras; blue emergency help phone.

Transit Park & Ride customers are reminded the number of free stalls in the new section remains the same but free parking remains limited. Customers are encouraged to join the waitlist for a paid stall, carpool, arrive early, take a bus to the LRT station, or use free parking with express bus service from Lewis Farms bus transit centre (87 Ave. west of Anthony Henday Dr.) or the Davies Lot (86 St. & 61 Ave.).
    http://www.mailoutinteractive.com/In...9320&qz=ef5b2f

Interesting-does this mean something will finally happen here?

Where is the park and ride lot moving to? Sounds like it's going to be permanent now?

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I'm confused. They want more density allowances? As if the originally Century Park site plan wasn't dense enough?

The site could easily handle double the planned density.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

The planned density was pretty dense already. It has several thousand units planned for the site. The only difference now is there is no lake to work around.

The original plan was a good start for density for what we are accustom to, but compare that plan to world cities, i would have to side with Jaybee that it could easily handle twice the density of the original proposal. Are Edmontonians ready for such change? I doubt that though. For me, i love big cities and high density.

Milk runs serve thousands of Junior and Senior High students that do not need to go anywhere near a transit hub.
    Hope ETS can work something out soon, though.
    I wish I could take a bus to work. It has been really handy in the past when I was on a good route going downtown. If you don't go downtown or to the malls it is a challenge to bus anywhere else.
    I don't feel insecure riding buses in the daytime but would never ride late. It is my perception that it is dangerous. I feel sorry for people who have to ride late and worry.

Times past, very few people with options were on the buses. Mostly kids or adults without car budgets. I definitely see that changing on certain routes, but I'm happy every day I live in walking distance of an LRT station. It's not so much who else is riding, I just can't stand the droning noise and stopping nearly every block.

Administrator *

Time lapse of the entire Capital line:

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^Nice Chris.

What would really be cool is to see one of these shot with a fisheye (180 degree field of view) lens. A race for the first video like this on social media.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Administrator *

^ Yes! I really want to invest in a 180 camera. It would be great for taking driving videos too

i know you have the skytrain vids, but i was wondering if getting the westcoast express has ever crossed your mind?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
    ^ Yes! I really want to invest in a 180 camera. It would be great for taking driving videos too
    Preferably it wouldn't be one of those full circular 180 degree, but just rectangular with 180 to the side. It would be cool to be able to see the driver sort of stationary in the frame and have everything flying past to the side.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Quote Originally Posted by realkevbo View Post
    i know you have the skytrain vids, but i was wondering if getting the westcoast express has ever crossed your mind?
    or the Edmonton to Vancouver train!

^ probably should be in its own thread? Not sure what this has to do with SLRT...

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930