Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Driver Distraction law... is it working?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Driver Distraction law... is it working?

Not sure if there is another thread on this although there's the "lousy driving" thread.

So it's been just over 3 months since the new law took effect and I'm wondering what everyone's experiences with it is. Myself I have noticed that I don't see as many driving with phones glued to their ears or texting however I still see some morons that figure they are above everybody else & the law.

The real problem lies in the thinking of the ***** - studies are indicating that "it's everyone else that can't drive while on the phone/texting but I'm a good driver while doing so'. Pretty selfish of the morons to actually think this doesn't affect their driving.

The other day I was coming home and watched a guy pass me, phone to his ear. Watched him wander into my lane in front of me and once he realized he needed to turn left made a very quick change of lanes to get into the left turning lane because he almost missed it. This tends to happen when the ***** is distracted. No signal light was used of course. I followed him because I had to go that way too and once he turned he continued to wander. I was almost ready to follow him into the condo's he later turned into and remind him that:

1. It's illegal
    2. That I watched him for 20 blocks, not signalling, wandering lanes and jeopardizing everybody's safety.

I chose not to say anything because the truth is it's a losing battle. I estimate 20% of drivers still have these horrible driving habits. That's a lot of drivers to remind that they're breaking the law.

Personally I think a $172.00 fine with no demerits is a joke and once the Gov't/police figure out that the law isn't have as much of an effect as they would like fines will be increased and demerits added. Maybe even the ***** should take a hit on their insurance when caught. Perhaps it should be treated like impaired driving, driver distraction really isn't much different as it all boils down to keeping the roads safe.

Anyone else have horror stories? How do we correct this?

everytime you see something like this, honk at them. if enough people do this, it becomes an act of public shaming and it no longer becomes acceptable.

i do it all the time at people who run reds or take too many liberties on a stale yellow advance turn left.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I do honk in fact if i see someone texting or talking on the phone. Drunk driving is very bad, but at least they have their eyes on the road unlike people who text!!!

I think I see less people on the phone since the law came out. Still lots of idiots out there, but at least they aren't texting now.

I guess, other than these 3 whopping responses, nobody gives a rat's ***.

Have patience. Not everyone sits at their computer every minute just to respond to your post. We do have lives beyond C2E. ...yes, really.

I honk as well and have chased down three drunk drivers until the police arrived. BTW, as I was chasing them I was breaking the law by speeding, doing illegal U-turns, and giving play by play to the 911 operator on my cell phone. Even telling them what laws I was breaking in my pursuit. Last Dec 18th on my last chase, I had my octogenarian parents in the back seat.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I've seen fewer people talking on the phone, and I don't think I've seen anyone texting since the law went into effect. It's still annoying though.

BTW - if you get their license plate you can report them to the police. I don't think a ticket will be issued, but they may receive a warning.

Addicted to C2E

I watched in amazement yesterday as a driver of a semi Fuel tanker with tank trailer drove through the corner of intersection of 125 and 97th street with a phone jammed against his ear. No fear on his part.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Have patience. Not everyone sits at their computer every minute just to respond to your post. We do have lives beyond C2E. ...yes, really.
    speak for yourself

I honk as well and have chased down three drunk drivers until the police arrived. BTW, as I was chasing them I was breaking the law by speeding, doing illegal U-turns, and giving play by play to the 911 operator on my cell phone. Even telling them what laws I was breaking in my pursuit. Last Dec 18th on my last chase, I had my octogenarian parents in the back seat.
    i hope your joking about this, bad enough to have one drunk driver without you out there driving recklessly.
    be offended! figure out why later...

Not kidding. They put the cuffs on the other drivers, not me.

Do you think I drove recklessly with my elderly parents in the back seat? I was able to follow a reckless drunk on icy streets from Bonnie Doon to Jasper Place. Sure I sped in some places, passed some slow moving cars on River Valley Road who had watched in stunned amazement after the drunk in a 4x4 and with a snow covered licence plate slammed into several snow banks and I did a U-turn in the middle of 156st street to keep my eye on him till the police could corner him. The police officers at the arrest scene thanked me for my diligence. It is part of my civic duty and my parents were very proud to tell their friends what I had done that night.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 10-12-2011 at 10:31 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I see more cops on the phone driving like idiots than I do normal citizens.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Continued Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I see more cops on the phone driving like idiots than I do normal citizens.
    Concur. As with any law, enforcement will decide the merit thus sucess of the law. Personally, I cannot say I've changed anything while driving. I didn't buy a hands free, and I still eat my MC D's while doing 10 over on Yellowhead with everyone else.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Just what are the chances of being caught? Pretty slim, I'd say. Anyone who's vigilant enough while driving can avoid being snagged anyway. Ergo, I doubt the revenue generated by enforcement will be significant enough to keep up said enforcement.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I see considerably less people talking on the phone when driving these days. Not only that, but I've seen people honk at people who are on the phone just to let them know that they're not invisible.

Still see lots of both the Pick Up Truck and Porsche sets ignoring the law
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

They can use earphones or headsets while on the phone to retain order and of course, to avoid accident.

I want to honk at stupid drivers who use their cellphones or any other type of reckless driver who endanger others, really I do!!

But I don't want to get the finger simply because I'm a A-hole for honking at their bad behavior in the first place.

Shame on me for warning them they're being unsafe.

Another reason why this law is pointless: the worst offenders are d-bags in jacked up pickups with blacked out windows. There's not a cop in this province with a vehicle high enough to see what's going on in there. There really should be legislation reducing how high you can jack up your truck, and cops should seriously enforce tint laws.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Addicted to C2E

Default nope...

My vote ...new law is not working OR being enforced at all for that matter!

I think it's working.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

it will not work till it is strictly banned across canada
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    it will not work till it is strictly banned across canada
    Even then, just as any "Law", it's effectiveness will depend on enforcement. Really, there are far more pressing issues for the cops to deal with rather than whether I comb my hair at a red light.

Cnr if you were combing your hair (dialing a cell, eating 5 burgers) at a red light I wouldn't have a problem, its the people that do this when driving (I've seen it probably 10 times already)

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

^ No kidding... I saw four people on the phone this morning on the Henday.

Yesterday I followed a man texting on his iPhone, doing 50, trying to merge onto the Yellowhead (speed limit 100) from AHD. I came up along-side him, honked, and motioned for him to put the phone away. He looked dumbfounded for a minute then went back to texting.

Friggen idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Cnr if you were combing your hair (dialing a cell, eating 5 burgers) at a red light I wouldn't have a problem, its the people that do this when driving (I've seen it probably 10 times already)
    Concur!!

Last week on the Henday there was a lady going way too slow, pulled alongside and she's practising the Clarinet. Another winner was buddy shaving with his electric. Sarcastically, I thought too bad it wasn't a straight.

US Secretary of Transportation is considering an in-vehicle scrambling technology that would disable mobile-phone use by drivers, and passengers when the vehicle is running. In 2009 nearly 5,500 people were killed and 500,000 more were injured in distracted driving-related crashes. In Alberta, more than 100 deaths and 5,000 injuries from nearly 40,000 collisions each year. Of course scrambling would not prevent Clarinets, shaving, nor Fluffy the lap-dog.

We have an effective law on the books, been there for decades called "driving without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for persons using the highway" (Section 115 Alberta traffic act); however, it's hardly enforced and should be dusted-off. The new Bill 16 legislation is meant only to be a compliment to the traffic act sort of a soft-warning or a reminder. There definitely should be points added, but not at this time.

In the UK it's 9 points (or instant licence removal) and fines: 500 to 800 GBP's up to 5000 GBP's.

Yup, we're way too soft here. Not that it's going to end all the distracted driving but I think even some of the dummies might think twice before texting all afternoon as they boot around the city knowing that if caught they face 6 demerit points, a huge $400.00 - $600.00 fine, an insurance hike and possible jail time.

But, since we're a reactive society instead of proactive the province must be waiting for the big high profile courtcase that will happen in the next 5 years or so when an entire family is killed and the driver of the other vehicle was texting. Will it be your family? Will it be someone you know?

This is how laws and repercussions get changed to having some bite. Someone has to pay the ultimate price.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Yup, we're way too soft here. Not that it's going to end all the distracted driving but I think even some of the dummies might think twice before texting all afternoon as they boot around the city knowing that if caught they face 6 demerit points, a huge $400.00 - $600.00 fine, an insurance hike and possible jail time.

But, since we're a reactive society instead of proactive the province must be waiting for the big high profile courtcase that will happen in the next 5 years or so when an entire family is killed and the driver of the other vehicle was texting. Will it be your family? Will it be someone you know?

This is how laws and repercussions get changed to having some bite. Someone has to pay the ultimate price.
    Unfortunately, your likely right it'll take some carnage and dismembered children to have it revisited and more teeth added.

The foolish part is something involving a death or very serious injury like a fire, phone and text messages could be subpoenaed. These drivers are not fooling anyone hiding their mobile devices.

I've read (at least in some US states) that one of the first things they do is check phone records. Can still be hard to prove that "at the moment you slammed into the other vehicle, you were texting...."

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wilson View Post
    Last week on the Henday there was a lady going way too slow, pulled alongside and she's practising the Clarinet. Another winner was buddy shaving with his electric. Sarcastically, I thought too bad it wasn't a straight.

US Secretary of Transportation is considering an in-vehicle scrambling technology that would disable mobile-phone use by drivers, and passengers when the vehicle is running. In 2009 nearly 5,500 people were killed and 500,000 more were injured in distracted driving-related crashes. In Alberta, more than 100 deaths and 5,000 injuries from nearly 40,000 collisions each year. Of course scrambling would not prevent Clarinets, shaving, nor Fluffy the lap-dog.

We have an effective law on the books, been there for decades called "driving without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for persons using the highway" (Section 115 Alberta traffic act); however, it's hardly enforced and should be dusted-off. The new Bill 16 legislation is meant only to be a compliment to the traffic act sort of a soft-warning or a reminder. There definitely should be points added, but not at this time.

In the UK it's 9 points (or instant licence removal) and fines: 500 to 800 GBP's up to 5000 GBP's.
    Got a laugh at the bolded. heh.

Excellent points all around and I agree. Also that as a society when certain products and technology comes out that its a given that its going to be used inappropriately while driving and anything from phones to mp3 players to dvd players will be. Its a known that these things will be abused the moment they are licenced for use and pass standards. At that moment, or soon after, accompanying legislation and enforcement should follow.
    Its ridiculously ineffective how we allow behaviors to become ingrained and then attempt to do something about them once it becomes a problem..

Scrambling appears to be a good answer.
    Last edited by Replacement; 24-12-2011 at 09:36 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Plus that texting is addictive behavior. People out there that text 100 or more times a day. Who knew that this would ever be a problem behind a wheel..

Of course the same addicted individuals that text as they're walking, text in a movie, text at dinner, text while cycling, text all the time, are going to text as they drive..
    With many of these individuals having become addicted to texting while very young and with the behaviors well ingrained.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Of course the same addicted individuals that text as they're walking, text in a movie, text at dinner, text while cycling, text all the time, are going to text as they drive.

With many of these individuals having become addicted to texting while very young and with the behaviors well ingrained.
    Excellent points. Will all of our edumacation, one would think we've evolved, but the subconscious is about par with that of a Chimpanzee, give one a baby-rattle and they'll go nuts with the dam thing. Both or our young nieces have gone through two Crackberries each this year, they've worn out the keypads . . . have a wild guess as to what's under the tree this year.

A letter-writing set with a fountain pen?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I have seen way to many people with phones still glued to their ear while driving to assume that this law is doing any good. The fact is bad driving will continue their bad driving habits. The bad drivers who "attempt" to change are the ones who stop in the right lane on the Yellowhead to answer a phone call during rush hour backing up traffic for miles.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    everytime you see something like this, honk at them. if enough people do this, it becomes an act of public shaming and it no longer becomes acceptable.

i do it all the time at people who run reds or take too many liberties on a stale yellow advance turn left.
    I do that as well. Too many people thing it is acceptable to continue turning left after the green arrow just because on-coming traffic has not started to go yet.

I have seen way to many people with phones still glued to their ear while driving to assume that this law is doing any good.
    I have to agree. A few months ago I actually thought this law was doing some good but it isn't. The dummies are still out there with phones glued to their ears and phones in their lap to text. I've even pulled up beside a couple of drivers and catch them red handed looking down into their laps. It's painfully obvious what they're doing and it's funny watching the reaction when they realize someone has been staring at them from 6 feet away for a half minute or so.

February is a distracted driving blitz month across the city of Edmonton, maybe even the province. The statistics are going to show hundreds of drivers recieving the slap-on-the-wrist $172.00 fine. I think it's just a matter of time until this is upped by a large margin. I'm also waiting for one of these boneheads to hit me so I can sue the living crap out of them.

I have seen way to many people with phones still glued to their ear while driving to assume that this law is doing any good.
    I have to agree. A few months ago I actually thought this law was doing some good but it isn't. The dummies are still out there with phones glued to their ears and phones in their lap to text. I've even pulled up beside a couple of drivers and catch them red handed looking down into their laps. It's painfully obvious what they're doing and it's funny watching the reaction when they realize someone has been staring at them from 6 feet away for a half minute or so.

February is a distracted driving blitz month across the city of Edmonton, maybe even the province. The statistics are going to show hundreds of drivers recieving the slap-on-the-wrist $172.00 fine. I think it's just a matter of time until this is upped by a large margin. I'm also waiting for one of these boneheads to hit me so I can sue the living crap out of them.

I don't think $172 is enough of a fine for idiots who blatantly endanger the roads.

they might as well be driving drunk, it's no difference.

By the way, were these cell phone violators by any chance driving BMW's, Audis or any other expensive vehicle?

I've noticed that most of these violators seem to drive expensive cars.

Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by jadzia2000 View Post

I don't think $172 is enough of a fine for idiots who blatantly endanger the roads.

they might as well be driving drunk, it's no difference.
    I totally agree with you. BTW, I gave a Bluetooth to a friend for Christmas because he constantly uses his phone while driving. Haven't checked to see if he uses the device though.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

[QUOTE=jadzia2000;423954I've noticed that most of these violators seem to drive expensive cars.

Just wondering.[/QUOTE]

I've seen a ton of people driving pickups, too, often work trucks. I don't think you can stereotype idiots that talk on their phones while they drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jadzia2000 View Post
    I've noticed that most of these violators seem to drive expensive cars.

Just wondering.
    I've seen a ton of people driving pickups, too, often work trucks. I don't think you can stereotype idiots that talk on their phones while they drive.
    Yeah, morons come in all shapes and sizes.

Well, lets eliminate the drive through or vanity mirrors in vehicles. Search a driver for the errant comb because God forbid one might use one at a red light. Just another revenue generator without any real enforcement options. I say this upon my arrival home with Mc D's, a cell phone and travel mug of tea.
    This law is lame at best. Why? No demerits!!!! Just a fine. Where is the penalty? Just like photo radar...A cash cow! Hold on a moment...I have to take a call while I text this......................

Have been doing a visual survey over the past month or two and would suggest that there was a significant drop until the last few weeks where it seems that there has been a sudden upswing. Probably as many as 30% are on the phone + doing other activities such as eating-drinking and makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    Have been doing a visual survey over the past month or two and would suggest that there was a significant drop until the last few weeks where it seems that there has been a sudden upswing.
    I suspect it's because nobody has been getting caught. When people stop at a light and check to see that there's no police anywhere, they can text away at their leisure.

Its one thing to reply to texts when stopped at a red light, but a whole lot more dangerous than doing it while driving (I've seen both). The law is fine, it just needs to be enforced more.

Its one thing to reply to texts when stopped at a red light, but a whole lot more dangerous than doing it while driving (I've seen both). The law is fine, it just needs to be enforced more.
    The cops are not looking for the guy eating,drinking or combing his hair ect ect. Texting while driving is the culprit above most. I have done all except the texting in full view of the cops with no reaction of any kind. So much for this wonderful new law LOLOLOL

Cellphone ticket baffles senior with no phone

CBC News

Posted: Mar 5, 2012 10:53 AM CST

A Winnipeg couple is shaking their heads, wondering why they got a ticket for talking on a cellphone while driving — when they don't own a cellphone.
    Laszlo Piszker and his wife, Margaret, were pulled over by two city police officers in the 2500 block of Portage Avenue on Friday.
    Piszker was handed a $199.80 ticket, even after he urged the officers to search him and the car for any sign of a cellphone.
    "I told them, 'Do whatever it takes. There's no phone in here; never has been. I don't know anything about the phone.' But they won't have it," he told CBC News.
    "They were just going crazy, going to arrest me, and they were nasty to my wife as well."

Technically challenged

Piszker, 74, said he is so technically challenged he wouldn't know how to use a cellphone if he did have one.
    "I'm the stupidest man you ever talked to when it comes to electronics. I don't know anything about it," he said.

C2E SME

Hmmmm, I can't wait to hear the reaction from the cops and their logic in this matter.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Probably had a dull morning and just had to nab someone, anyone, for anything, so they could log a report into HQ. I hope they get a good bollocking.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Man who ever thought of this billboard didn't do much thinking about it.
    http://lolsnaps.com/news/18068/0/

Last week my buddy was pulled over for an air drum solo at a set of lights. Cop told him it was a distracted driving infraction. I don't know if he was ticketed or let off with a warning.
    Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far / shine on you crazy diamond

probably had his head phones on ............

Soy if he was doing the Phil Collin's riff from In the Air Tonight, yah that could be distracted as he'd have no hands on the wheel.

Soy if he was doing the Phil Collin's riff from In the Air Tonight, yah that could be distracted as he'd have no hands on the wheel.
    At a light? That's a load of BS.

That's ok, a buddy and I were going down the Henday SW the other day and some dude in a car was doing a drum solo too, but doing 110 KM/H. As he went by he swerved almost into the ditch while doing his fake drumming. He also sat in my blind spot for 5 minutes... with nothing but open highway and no cars in front and behind him. Then he realized he was going to miss his turn and had to cut over a couple of lanes to the merge lane real quick... we just shook our heads.

Morons will be morons.

Isn't a cop parked at the side of the road a distraction? I don't know anyone who doesn't rubberneck to see if he's taking pictures. Normal human curiosity to take a look. Hardly grounds for a ticket, I'd have thought.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

people easily forget there has always been distractions while driving, as slight as some might be. But they were usually distractions of chance. The problem is that today and especially in the last few years with cell phones & texting there's many more people being distracted than before. Unlike yesteryear, most of these distractions are not by chance but by a conscience decision to be distracted (usually by using a phone/text).

Cars have become, not *****-proof, but built rather so any ***** can drive them.

Power steering and automatic transmissions are standard equipment. There is also ABS and in my truck (no idea if this is standard equipment) I even have a light that blinks when I'm spinning to tell me that the vehicle is indeed spinning.

Also gone, unless you pay for this option, guages for oil, temp, amps replaced with what is commonly referred to as ***** lights.

Drivers have been lulled into a state of relaxation. No need to operate the vehicle, it just takes a single finger on the multi-tilt steering wheel. Why bother to shoulder check? Some cars have options available for that, too!

Let's take up all this free time as a driver to text, phone home, make a sammich, doll ourselves up with makeup, etc.

Ah, the days when you could use your driving skills to navigate down the road, shifting gears, eyeing the tachometer, hand-over-hand steering, pumping the brakes on an icy patch knowing just when and how hard to do so because you were one with the road with your vehicle.
    Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far / shine on you crazy diamond

Quote Originally Posted by soycd View Post
    Cars have become, not *****-proof, but built rather so any ***** can drive them.

Power steering and automatic transmissions are standard equipment. There is also ABS and in my truck (no idea if this is standard equipment) I even have a light that blinks when I'm spinning to tell me that the vehicle is indeed spinning.

Also gone, unless you pay for this option, gauges for oil, temp, amps replaced with what is commonly referred to as ***** lights.

Drivers have been lulled into a state of relaxation. No need to operate the vehicle, it just takes a single finger on the multi-tilt steering wheel. Why bother to shoulder check? Some cars have options available for that, too!

Let's take up all this free time as a driver to text, phone home, make a sammich, doll ourselves up with makeup, etc.

Ah, the days when you could use your driving skills to navigate down the road, shifting gears, eying the tachometer, hand-over-hand steering, pumping the brakes on an icy patch knowing just when and how hard to do so because you were one with the road with your vehicle.

Crash victim's boyfriend releases final texts

Quebec man says he hopes messages show dangers of texting while driving

A series of heartbreaking text messages is being used by the boyfriend of a fatal car accident victim to warn people to pay attention when driving.

Mathieu Fortin has created a Facebook page to get the word out in memory of Emy Brochu, who died Jan. 18 when her car slammed into the back of a tractor-trailer truck as it merged with traffic near Victoriaville, Que.
    Brochu had sent Fortin a couple of loving messages before her last one.
    It read: "I'm going to try and do everything I can to make you happy, Mr. Fortin."
    The next set of messages, which Fortin posted on Facebook, have him telling her that he wants to "hear her beautiful voice" but then growing fearful after he hasn't heard from her in a few hours.
    "Is everything going well, my love?" Fortin wrote. "I'm a bit worried."

Lessons from tragedy

Provincial police did not immediately attribute a cause to the accident – although they said they were looking into the possibility of a distraction, such as a cellphone.
    "The police investigation showed the use of a cellphone while driving was the cause of the accident," Fortin wrote on Facebook.

"This conclusion came as a shock because during the tragedy, I was in a discussion with her."
    Fortin says that reading the last messages shatters his heart into a million pieces.
    He urges people to learn from his story.
    "An accident can happen quickly," he writes. "I hope every time you look at your cellphone while you're driving, you think of Emy and those who loved her.
    "At what time is a text or an email more important than life itself? At what point is something on your phone more important than the people that you love?"
    Fortin describes Brochu as a joyful, determined woman who had a wonderful future ahead of her.
    He urges his friends to pass his message onto others, warning them to consider that they might run over a child crossing the road if they're not looking out.
    Fortin's message received a slew of responses from friends expressing their sympathy and promising to pass it on.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...age-fatal.html

I wonder if he feels even a little responsible knowing she was driving and he was baiting her to text with his texts. Dummies.
    Last edited by Kitlope; 14-03-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Last night I watched as a guy in a sparkly (new?) Land Rover stopped at a stop sign while typing something on his phone, and proceeded to drive on. Thing is, another car was coming along, so dude had to slam on his brakes, honked his horn and proceeded to flip off the drive that turned in front of him. Land Rover dumbass was too busy texting to notice that it was a 2-way stop, not a 4-way stop, and the other car had the right-of-way. I really wish he would have hit that other car - which was old and rusty, but built like a tank - because his pretty little Land Rover would have had thousands of dollars of damage to it, and maybe he would have learned a lesson.

Default Bus driver wanted to play dvd just before fatal crash

BRUSSELS — The driver of a bus that crashed in Switzerland, killing 22 schoolchildren and six adults, had wanted to play a DVD just before the crash, Swiss and Belgian papers reported Thursday.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...974/story.html
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

C2E SME

We should be banning texting while walking too. Last night at about 7pm I was driving North on 105 street, about to turn right on 102 avenue going East. The light was green as I was about to turn right. I noticed a man walking West on the sidewalk up to the corner, tapping away on his phone. He proceeded to step off the curb against the red light directly in front of me as I was about to make the turn. Luckily I saw him and swerved around and had also slowed.

He had no idea I was coming, or that he was about to step out on to the road against the red light.

agreed
    "Death or Injury By Blackberry or Pad " is quite common now

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    agreed
    "Death or Injury By Blackberry or Pad " is quite common now
    add iPod.
    Its not the earbuds/phones that distract you, its the "I've got to have just the right song to cross the street to the coffee shop so I better scroll through my 4000 song playlist to find it. Now, where is that song........."
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Ah, but those people just get Darwin Awards.

Agreed Gord, but then I want the contract to make those awards, cuz there's a lot of deserving recipients.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

just ban people from leaving their houses. problem fixed.

Last night I watched as a guy in a sparkly (new?) Land Rover stopped at a stop sign while typing something on his phone, and proceeded to drive on. Thing is, another car was coming along, so dude had to slam on his brakes, honked his horn and proceeded to flip off the drive that turned in front of him. Land Rover dumbass was too busy texting to notice that it was a 2-way stop, not a 4-way stop, and the other car had the right-of-way. I really wish he would have hit that other car - which was old and rusty, but built like a tank - because his pretty little Land Rover would have had thousands of dollars of damage to it, and maybe he would have learned a lesson.
    Just wow. The beauty is with you being a witness that if there was an accident I'm sure you would have not delayed telling the police he was on his phone.

I'd place the call myself! Too bad it didn't happen.

^yes too bad there was not a potential life threatening vehicle accident...

Oh, you were there as well? How did it look life-threatening to you?

yes too bad there was not a potential life threatening vehicle accident...
    Unfortunately this is the only way some people are going to learn to put their phones down.

Early this morning driving up 99 St. hill a lady driving down in her mini-van was doing the classic texting with the iphone whilst holding the wheel at the top with both hands. She wandered halfway over the centre line into my lane. I blasted the horn, she dropped the phone, reached down to grab it, and swerved over even more all the way into the oncoming. Good thing it was early and no one was in the other two lanes on my right.

^Yikes. Wonder if she thought about how close she came to causing a collision (I refuse to use the word accident here) and might change her ways?

Agreed, collision should be the word. Accidents do happen, but that was down-right kamikaze.
    Last edited by Frank Wilson; 20-03-2012 at 11:52 PM.

B.C. traffic cops disguised as bogus beggars

In five months, Calgary cops managed to nab 1,456 drivers — or rather, 1,456 people texting, dining, changing songs and chattering on their cellphones.

Driving was definitely a secondary concern for the motorists fined under Alberta’s Distracted Driving law, just as it was for the 379 people fined by Edmonton police in February alone.

Three hundred and seventy-nine tickets in one month? An average of 291 distracted drivers every four weeks in Calgary?

That’s some fine police work — or it is, until you measure it against the ingenious tactic being used by RCMP traffic cops in B.C.

Try 4,449 tickets written in a single month, in large part because of a sneaky strategy which puts drivers at ease, even as a police officer peers into their vehicle from a few centimetres away.

“Hello, my name is Constable Martell. If you’re on your cellphone right now, you are about to get a ticket,” reads the hand-drawn cardboard sign, held by the scruffy man in the blue hoodie.

The man posing as a panhandler is actually an RCMP officer, reportedly from Chilliwack, B.C., and his photograph is currently making the rounds online.

We’ve all seen them, the scruffs who hang around at traffic lights begging for spare change, a sob story about lost jobs or similar misfortune scrawled on their cardboard.
    When the light turns red, the panhandler wanders among the cars, seeking surplus coins — and most motorists ignore them, going about their business while trying to avoid eye contact.

Ohh man I hope they bring this to Alberta. Like in BC, It's also time for them to add 3 demerits to anyone that gets a distracted driving ticket.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/03/20...-bogus-beggars

Brilliant! I love it.

Double brilliant.

They could take it a step further and use intersection cameras. Every intersection in Sherwood Park has them and a few of the major ones in Edmonton as well. As far as I know, they are mostly used for the strobes on Emergency Services vehicles, clear right-of-way.

This morning on Yellowhead, I saw a guy stop in the far right lane during the rush, put his hazards on and proceeds to merrily chat-away sipping some Tim's; held up quite a bit of traffic. Not the first time I've seen this.
    Last edited by Frank Wilson; 21-03-2012 at 11:18 PM.

B.C. traffic cops disguised as bogus beggars

In five months, Calgary cops managed to nab 1,456 drivers — or rather, 1,456 people texting, dining, changing songs and chattering on their cellphones.

Driving was definitely a secondary concern for the motorists fined under Alberta’s Distracted Driving law, just as it was for the 379 people fined by Edmonton police in February alone.

Three hundred and seventy-nine tickets in one month? An average of 291 distracted drivers every four weeks in Calgary?

That’s some fine police work — or it is, until you measure it against the ingenious tactic being used by RCMP traffic cops in B.C.

Try 4,449 tickets written in a single month, in large part because of a sneaky strategy which puts drivers at ease, even as a police officer peers into their vehicle from a few centimetres away.

“Hello, my name is Constable Martell. If you’re on your cellphone right now, you are about to get a ticket,” reads the hand-drawn cardboard sign, held by the scruffy man in the blue hoodie.

The man posing as a panhandler is actually an RCMP officer, reportedly from Chilliwack, B.C., and his photograph is currently making the rounds online.

We’ve all seen them, the scruffs who hang around at traffic lights begging for spare change, a sob story about lost jobs or similar misfortune scrawled on their cardboard.
    When the light turns red, the panhandler wanders among the cars, seeking surplus coins — and most motorists ignore them, going about their business while trying to avoid eye contact.
    Ohh man I hope they bring this to Alberta. Like in BC, It's also time for them to add 3 demerits to anyone that gets a distracted driving ticket.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/03/20...-bogus-beggars
    Well then, why not unmarked cars outside every bar on a Friday night? Is drunks on the road not as dangerous if not worse? If we did this, entrapment would be cried aloud. This borders upon that in my opinion.

Good idea, I like the unmarked cops outside of bars idea!

Good idea, I like the unmarked cops outside of bars idea!
    As do I. It frustrates me that the only push I see in regards to DUI is over the holidays and very select times of the year. Lets be realistic. The distracted law is a tad ridiculous when compared to DUI.

How about any 24 hour McDonald's parking lot between midnight and 4am? Especially on the weekends? Wanna see late night drunks driving for their late night Big Mac fix? No shortage of them. A few years ago my buddy and I were in line late at night and we were "front ended" by a car in front of us. Yep, the drunk kid forgot to take it out of reverse after he did a 3 point turn to get around the 90 degree corner (which isn't a problem for sober people) and he gunned his car smoking us in reverse. I couldn't believe it and it made me realize just how badly we need the police to monitor late night fast food places.

^ Yeah, D&D. Drunk and distracted as they much on that BigMac as they gun it out of the lot.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

How about any 24 hour McDonald's parking lot between midnight and 4am? Especially on the weekends? Wanna see late night drunks driving for their late night Big Mac fix? No shortage of them. A few years ago my buddy and I were in line late at night and we were "front ended" by a car in front of us. Yep, the drunk kid forgot to take it out of reverse after he did a 3 point turn to get around the 90 degree corner (which isn't a problem for sober people) and he gunned his car smoking us in reverse. I couldn't believe it and it made me realize just how badly we need the police to monitor late night fast food places.
    The cops have done this at the Kingsway location in the drive thru.

The distracted driving law is not working at all. Since the law was put in, I am totally distracted by looking in all the other vehicles with their cell phones, texting, playing with their GPS, eating, etc.

First One is Always Free

The funny thing about this is I seen a couple ETS drivers eating while driving (heck I saw a driver eating a little ceasers pizza lol.) The police are good about this, they honk at you and point at you if they see you on your phone. I agree they should enforce it, but at the same time we dont want them to be going after small things like this when they could be called out to calls faster (e.g. it took a cop 4 hours to show up to an accident i was involved with and it was pretty major.)

First One is Always Free

Also just to give advice for the first post: If you see anyone driving erratically, phone 911. They will ask if they are DUI, just say yes. If they are driving just as bad as a DUI I don't see why you should not assume the worst. I've done this for a couple of drivers and the police WANT you to phone in these people. How would they know where these drivers are unless by chance they are around. At least get their licence plate and send it in. I'm sure if more than one person complains about a person over and over they will get the idea they are a bad driver that shouldnt be on the road.

This isn't really a distracted driving incident but it's a goldie that happened yesterday. I was merging onto the Henday eastbound from 50th street, crossed over to the fast lane because of a very slow car in the slow lane and sped up to about 108 km/h (speed limit is a 100). I glance in my rearview mirror and see some big white truck barrelling towards me and I knew he was speeding but couldn't really judge just how fast. I glanced again 3 seconds later and yeah, this arsehole is already almost on my ***. I would have changed into the slow lane for him but since he was doing around 150 km/h I just stayed in my lane knowing it was actually going to be a safety issue because of his excessive speeding. I mutter some words to myself about douches like this on the road... He passes me and I look ahead and see an SUV in the ditch - my first reaction is to check my speed which of course was ok and I'm now hoping it's a cop, probably the first times in my driving career. I look up again and on went the cherries and the pusuit was on. I saw dummies brake lights even get applied to try to slow down but it was obviously too late. By the time I caught up to the 2 vehicles pulled over on the shoulder, the cop was already walking towards the truck. I drove by honking my horn, laughing my *** off and waving.

So nice to see an ***** get what he deserves.

Partially Addicted to C2E

^don't you just get so so happy when things like that happen haha. especially with potentially dangerous drivers like that
    edmonton - madrid - edmonton
    @BrettSMcKenna

It's not potentially dangerous Brett, it is dangerous, but I know what you're saying.

This arsehole was flying, it wouldn't surprise me if he was actually doing closer to 160 km/h. Going those speeds screws with all driver's judgment ... if I had tried changing lanes into the slow lane to do the "right thing" and not realizing how fast he was going... yikes I don't even want to think about the outcome.

But yeah, it didn't just make me happy watching him get pulled over, it actually made my day.
    Last edited by Kitlope; 29-03-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dasupalouie View Post
    Also just to give advice for the first post: If you see anyone driving erratically, phone 911. They will ask if they are DUI, just say yes. If they are driving just as bad as a DUI I don't see why you should not assume the worst. I've done this for a couple of drivers and the police WANT you to phone in these people. How would they know where these drivers are unless by chance they are around. At least get their licence plate and send it in. I'm sure if more than one person complains about a person over and over they will get the idea they are a bad driver that shouldnt be on the road.
    If you were following/tracking a suspected DUI and was updating the cop about the suspect's location from a cellphone, I'm just curious what the cop's take would be on this. Okay, a bit of civic duty is being done but, might the cop be justified if he then nabs you for using a cellphone while driving. It's conceivable he could, and it would be one of those occasions when a cop could/should turn a blind eye. But, they're not known for this very much these days.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dasupalouie View Post
    If you were following/tracking a suspected DUI and was updating the cop about the suspect's location from a cellphone, I'm just curious what the cop's take would be on this. Okay, a bit of civic duty is being done but, might the cop be justified if he then nabs you for using a cellphone while driving. It's conceivable he could, and it would be one of those occasions when a cop could/should turn a blind eye. But, they're not known for this very much these days.
    Last time I called 911 the guy almost ran me off the road. I pulled over and told him the licence plate and the road we were on and the direction they were heading. Usually 911 operators dont tell you "are you driving? get off the road." The 911 operator asks, whats the emergency, give details, we're dispatching a unit to intercept. I understand where you're coming from on this because its a double edged sword but I guess if your smart enough you would worry about your own personal safety first by pulling over.

Howie, you're allowed to call 911 while driving.

My experience is I find its a bit harder to text and drive now, I have to quickly glance down at my knees (as keep phone hidden now, instead of up high), it used to be a bit safer I think. I try to do more at intersections when stopped (which is safer I guess).

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    My experience is I find its a bit harder to text and drive now, I have to quickly glance down at my knees (as keep phone hidden now, instead of up high), it used to be a bit safer I think. I try to do more at intersections when stopped (which is safer I guess).
    lol is this a joke? even if you're stopped you can be fined and you shouldn't even be using your phone, yet alone texting (worse than a phone call.)

Today some ***** driving an SUV with Saskatchewan plates was playing with her phone and started to swerve into my lane. I blasted the horn, and she took control. Then when the light turned green, I saw her glance up from her phone to turn left - forcing oncoming traffic to stop.

Not distracted driving, but two recent stories:

A couple weeks ago we were on our way back into the city after visiting family just out of town, and it was a bit late, probably midnight or so. We're just leaving Ft Sask, right before the bridge north of town, and this guy comes up behind us doing well over 100 in a 70 zone, and, despite there being no more highway and a ravine ahead, passes us in the ditch, swerving back onto the highway at literally the last second before their own not so tragic demise. Unfortunately, the stupid RCMP that was ahead of us didn't see this and turned onto a side road. Once the cop was gone this guy went full-tilt, in less than a couple minutes we couldn't even see his lights anymore. We were on the phone with 911 by this point, gave them the plate # and all that, but calling to report these things is pointless, it takes them 20 minutes to get your details and figure out where you are, so this person is likely still doing the same thing and will probably kill someone.

Just today, heading eastbound on Yellowhead, a cube van occupied by what I would assume is a threesome of total retards, blocked up a ton of traffic trying to make a left turn north on 142st. Yep, no turn lane. Into a one-way. Driver ended up running the red, dodged cars come down 142st, and then made his way to the McDonald's drive thru. Genius at work there.

Howie, you're allowed to call 911 while driving.
    Thanks for that, Gord. Not that it matters much to me - I don't have a cell phone.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast