Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Driver Distraction law... is it working?

I'd rather C2E than work!

I was walking just off Whyte the other day and saw an officer giving a ticket to someone who was on his cell phone. I heard the cop say "Well, why were you on your phone and driving?" "Well, I just had to..." "Well, I just have to give you a ticket for it."

Here's another topper - personal anecdote
    Thursday mid afternoon on queenie weenie Doux,
    Travelling south at about 115 in the right lane, was passed at the last possible second by a............. gentleman.............. in a white sedan at approx 130+
    About a mile or so down the road I pass same person who is now driving at approx 90 km due to the fact that he was "working" his lap top on the passanger seat while on the blower
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

^ And I would bet as soon as he closed his laptop and got off the phone he hammered it back up to 150 km/h. tailgating everyone in the fast lane, passing on the right, and shoulders . . . I've seen Rocket Scientists driving like this quite a few times.

^Two years ago on our way back from Banff in August, some guy passed us, weaving in and out of traffic - between cars, the shoulder, you name it - on his chopper, going about 160km/hr... one handed. The other hand was holding his phone.

I slowed down. Waaaaay down. Let about 50 cars pass me. It was bumper to bumper traffic, I didn't want to be anywhere near any possible multi-car pileup caused by this guy. I sure hope he's changed his habits or been taught a lesson in a single-vehicle accident with a lightpole, lest he kill innocent people.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Today, coming down Scona Road NB in the right lane, under the James Mac bridge, some young woman with earbuds on passes me from behind on the extreme right side, crossing the double solid, at the last moment where the 98th turnoff by the Riverboat, she crosses back at a 45 degree angle and tries to cut me off. I stop in the middle of the single lane, blocking her to a stop. I carry on and she passes me when she gets onto 98th EB, storms past the condos, and at 70km through a pedestrian cross walk with a guy walking his bike across, she doesn't even touch the brakes and heads up the hill at 80+

A few years back I saw a woman on a cell phone in her fancy SUV come across the James Mac EB on the WB lanes. She only realized her mistake when she reached the lights at the Muttart on 98th when there were two rows of cars blocking her progress at the lights. Thats about a mile going the wrong way. Must have been an important cell phone call.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I think if the local police wanted to boost ticket revenue all they would have to do is roll a ghost car up and down the whitemud all day and glance over at the cars passing them. This morning i was passed by a young woman in a VW hurriedly eating, what I have to guess would be cereal due to the time of day, from a large tupperware bowl. Everone thinks THEY possess the coordination required to perform multitasking while driving.
    What i think is weird is when i see a police person on the cell while driving, engaged in a spirited up beat conversation. When i saw one young police woman waving her hands about and laughing continuosly while driving and chatting, i had a hard time believing that it was "official" business. Or maybe they are allowed to use the cell phone at will. Another strange sight is when i see city pick up trucks that have a bracket that is mounted on the dash and holds a laptop so the driver can use it. While driving! I have seen it twice and the trucks are marked transit supervisor i think. Are ordinary citizens permitted to take these in depth multitasking courses so that we will be allowed to juggle tasks behind the wheel.
    And as far as people have "at least stopped texting while driving". Really? They just hold their phone in their lap now. Dont you notice everyone glancing down to thier crotch while driving? Ya, way safer than holding it up so you can at least watch the road while texting.

Default ‘Panhandling’ cops nab distracted drivers in B.C.

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by dasupalouie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    My experience is I find its a bit harder to text and drive now, I have to quickly glance down at my knees (as keep phone hidden now, instead of up high), it used to be a bit safer I think. I try to do more at intersections when stopped (which is safer I guess).
    lol is this a joke? even if you're stopped you can be fined and you shouldn't even be using your phone, yet alone texting (worse than a phone call.)
    Maybe I'm just more honest about my addiction than a lot of people are? It could be worse, I could be drinking coffee (which is a major cause of driver distraction / accidents).

Emails thread to eps... Points out the problem...

Houston we have a problem. A potential killer on the prowl.

I was just out walking down Whyte and looked into a car where a guy was on his cell phone. I didn't do anything, just looked, and he held the phone out and shook it, as though he was saying "yeah, I'm on a cell, I'm a badass." I just laughed and kept walking.

C2E SME

^LOL

To that driver "A rebel without a clue!"
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I love the fact that people think they're so sneaky in keeping the phones in their laps when surfing the web/texting. No, dummy, your eyes staring into your crotch doesn't give you away...

Friday April 13.

Walking to work and crossing 170th Street at 87th Ave, Watching a woman turn left from southbound 170th to eastbound 87th holding her cell above her steering wheel with her right hand and making the left turn on the wheel with just her left hand while talking into the phone directly in front of her face..

Black BMW sedan (with Alberta BBC-four numbered plates.) I wish I did manage to report her but I had my cell buried in my messanger bag.

Just a warning if you see a black BMW Sedan with the new 7 digit plates with a 30-something women behind the wheel its her.

Looks like my 34 year old cousin is one of the dummy's out there (or, at least, was a dummy). He got into a collision in November and wrote off his older car, not sure how much damage to the other vehicle or what insurance did. It was only a couple days ago he told me the reason why it happened - turns out he was texting and driving. Looked up and the car that was 60 feet in front of him was now stopped 10 feet in front of him. I refrained from giving him crap as he said he quit texting while driving and I told him I hope so - the first guy that hit's me while making the conscience effort to text and be distracted is going to have to deal with a civil lawsuit.

There's a lot of collisions that are caused by texting I'm sure, we're just not hearing much about the particulars of these incident's through the media. And as I spend more time at red lights looking around at other drivers these last 6 months, it's becoming clear that the dummy's are not getting the message.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Looks like my 34 year old cousin is one of the dummy's out there (or, at least, was a dummy). He got into a collision in November and wrote off his older car, not sure how much damage to the other vehicle or what insurance did. It was only a couple days ago he told me the reason why it happened - turns out he was texting and driving. Looked up and the car that was 60 feet in front of him was now stopped 10 feet in front of him. I refrained from giving him crap as he said he quit texting while driving and I told him I hope so - the first guy that hit's me while making the conscience effort to text and be distracted is going to have to deal with a civil lawsuit.

There's a lot of collisions that are caused by texting I'm sure, we're just not hearing much about the particulars of these incident's through the media. And as I spend more time at red lights looking around at other drivers these last 6 months, it's becoming clear that the dummy's are not getting the message.

Sad to hear it was one of your own relatives that was this inept. Well he has learned his lesson. Even with the laws in place the amount of people I see driving while doing this is still amazing. At least his accident did not cause any bodily harm to someone. Because we know it will happen obviously they need yet another crackdown with even higher fines and suspensions to make some of these losers clue in.

Sad to hear it was one of your own relatives that was this inept. Well he has learned his lesson. Even with the laws in place the amount of people I see driving while doing this is still amazing. At least his accident did not cause any bodily harm to someone.
    Well, we both know it shouldn't have happened in the first place and I hope he learned his lesson too and not just telling me what I want to hear.

they need yet another crackdown with even higher fines and suspensions to make some of these losers clue in.
    I have been asking my online gaming buddies from all around North America what the reprecussions are when getting caught in their states/provinces and many have said fines of around $400.00 - $500.00 and demerits, which in turn could affect insurance. No wonder the idiots of Alberta haven't put down their phones, with just a $172.00 fine and nothing else there's no real deterrent to put them down. Everybody thinks "it's not gonna happen to me, I'm a good driver" ... what it takes in most cases is a collision and possibly injury, just like my boneheaded cousin. Man, people are stupid.

Here's the latest uber-dummy to get dinged.

EDMONTON - Just when they thought they had seen everything, Edmonton police Sunday came across a man texting while riding a motorcycle.

About 8:45 p.m., officers saw the two-wheeled texter near 41st Avenue and 44th Street in Mill Woods. Police attempted to get him to pull over but he fled, and three blocks later lost control and ran into an oncoming vehicle.

The motorcyclist fled on foot, but was later tracked down through the bike — a Suzuki 1300 GSX — he left behind.

Wayne Aucoin, 43, of Edmonton, was charged with criminal flight, criminal hit and run, disqualified driving and other offences, including distracted driving.

{Admin edit. Clipped to meet posting regulations}
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...301/story.html

The best part in absolute idiocy is that the guy is driving a bike with a disqualified license and just has to text, ensuring getting caught.

And just to add, it's been almost a year since the law has come into effect and I see more people than ever with cell phones to their ears and sneaking in texting at lights or when driving. If the government really wants to take care of the rampant distracted driving problem they need to start with doubling or preferably tripling the fine.
    Last edited by Admin; 15-08-2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: reduced quoted article to comply with poisting regs.

Its universal, being on the road for the past week from Edmonton via Red Deer, Calgary, Banff, Kelowna to Vancouver and back I cannot count the numbers of drivers talking and texting while heading down a street or the Trans Canada.

Even though Distracted Driver Billboards are EVERYWHERE.

Though I did see RCMP in Kelowna pull over a women who passed me on the way to the bridge talking on her phone and getting caught.

THEY ARE WATCHING!!!!!! LOL.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Of course there's Toronto's buffoon of a Mayor getting caught reading behind the wheel while driving on the Gardiner freeway.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

If I saw that I would break the law to post a pic of Toronto's Head Butthead showing just who they elected and how he acts....LOL

But then I think Torontonians know what they did anyways.......LOL.

Better them than us...LOL

Also just how in gods name does someone that large fit onto the Gardiner? he would only fit on the widest section of the 401.....

Here's the *****:

Remember folks, he's a busy busy man so he is allowed to read while driving. Imagine what the roads would be like if we all read while driving because we're all "busy busy people". The worst part is the police didn't charge him not because of his mayor status - there's actually no law in Ontario against reading while driving. I'm hoping after Mr. Ford's idiocy that will change.

I'm am TRULY SCHOCKED! That he can even fit into an Escalade!!!! LOL.

There might not be a law specifically against driving and reading, but there are laws such as

Driving without due care and attention or careless driving or Driving while distracted which has been on the lawbooks in many regions longer than cell phones have been around.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    There might not be a law specifically against driving and reading, but there are laws such as

Driving without due care and attention or careless driving or Driving while distracted which has been on the lawbooks in many regions longer than cell phones have been around.
    Unfortunately, is seems the only time that law gets dusted-off is when someone dies, maimed, or driving severely impaired.

I asked a crown prosecutor once in the early 90's why it wasn't used for "distracted driving". The reply was the law is too harsh and heavy-handed for such an offence which doesn't add-up, at least to me. The law was/is there use it.

Actually, I need to correct myself. In Ontario, reading print media is ok by law, if he were reading electronic media it's a no-go.

I have seen countless wreckless losers using their cellphones while driving.

And most of them are young snooty girls who think they know better than everyone else.

I remember stopped at a light and this girl was chattering away. With her window down I told her to put her phone away, and she just ignored me.

Just goes to show the law doesn't work because eps isn't really doing much with it.

Too bad.

Watch people on their phones all the time still and witnessed a police officer eating a burger while driving down Jasper.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Continued Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Watch people on their phones all the time still and witnessed a police officer eating a burger while driving down Jasper.
    Take the car #,time and location then file a report with EPS.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

I'd be a kettle
    www.decl.org

Looks like others have taken notice that the law isn't working.

Drivers still texting and talking despite law

Many Alberta drivers are still texting or using their cell phones behind the wheel despite legislation that make the practices illegal.

"We get emails, we get phone calls, complaining about people who are using their hand-held cell phones," said Don Zarko from the Alberta Motor Association.
    Distracted driving legislation came into effect on Sept. 1, 2011. Since then, there have been 15,000 convictions across the province. In Edmonton, police have laid more than 3,500 charges.

Although drivers are getting charged, Zarko thinks the novelty of the new law has worn off.

"I do feel and we have a sense from some police across the province that we're seeing a return to use of handheld cell phones while driving and they're confounding that with texting and even writing as they're driving," he said.

"Bizarre behaviors are starting to return."

Drivers who obey the law say they are frustrated by others who choose to ignore it.

"I don't think it's really made a difference," said Wanda Funk. "Most people are still doing what they've done."

This fall, the AMA is launching a campaign in Edmonton high schools about the dangers of distracted driving.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ng-phones.html

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

if i can get a ticket for being distracted by my cell phone, which at least i can control, can pattison signs get a ticket for distracting me with the rotating images on their new illuminated billboard tv at 108th and jasper (or nait for theirs on souch campus etc. etc.) that i can't control??? or would that ticket go to the city for licensing the distraction?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Gotta love the hypocrisy, huh? Especially since these signs bait you into staring at them as the advertising changes. But IMO the texting while behind the wheel is the big distraction since so many do it... but yeah the city could be trying to set some proper examples.

I was parking the car at the parkade across from the from the Mazankowski Heart Institute this morning and it was busy with cars pouring into the parkade driving slowly looking for spots hidden by large Pickups and SUV's, lots of people walking from their cars to the pedway, found one slowed and carefully turned into a tight spot with this ***** on my a** talking on his phone so I pull in and he pulls into another spot across from me and then asks me where the pedway is to the hospital. I wanted to blow up at him just said upstairs and walked away.

If you ever see Z# plate on a dirty 4 door Black Chevy Cruise from Mikes AutoZone from Vermilion WATCH OUT HE IS A *****.

Tailgating in a crowded parkade yapping on his cell since he seems to be from a small town he has no common sense inregards driving through a large parkade..
    Last edited by NielCole; 28-08-2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: removed plate #

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    if i can get a ticket for being distracted by my cell phone, which at least i can control, can pattison signs get a ticket for distracting me with the rotating images on their new illuminated billboard tv at 108th and jasper (or nait for theirs on souch campus etc. etc.) that i can't control??? or would that ticket go to the city for licensing the distraction?
    ------------------

Some food for thought...

Mayfair North

#3Major Digital Signs, Minor Digital On-premises Signs, Minor Digital Off-premises Signs, and Minor Digital On-premises Off-premises Signs shall be located or constructed such that Sign illumination shall not project onto any surrounding residential premises, shall not face an abutting or adjacent Residential Use Class, shall not face an abutting or adjacent Residential-Related Use Class, and shall not face the Extended Medical Treatment Services Use Class to the satisfaction of the Development Officer.

Hello Capital BLVD?

#7For all Sign Applications for Major Digital Sign, Minor Digital On-premises Signs, Minor Digital Off-premises Signs, and Minor Digital On-premises Off-premises Signs, the Development Officer shall review the application in context with the surrounding development, such as (but not limited to): the architectural theme of the area; any historic designations; the requirements of any Statutory Plan; any streetscape improvements; proximity to residential development; driver decision points; and traffic conflict points. The Development Officer may require application revisions to mitigate the impact of a proposed Sign, and may refuse a permit that adversely impacts the built environment.

http://webdocs.edmonton.ca/zoningbyl...egulations.htm

There is a fascia off premise sign (CBS Outdoor - Lotto) darn near the 100m rule.

59F - must be more than 100m separation for 20m^2. It looks like it is a 12x20' (24m^2)
    http://webdocs.edmonton.ca/zoningbyl...hedule_59F.htm
    Last edited by IanO; 28-08-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    www.decl.org

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

...quick anecdotal feedback on the OP topic...

the answer on hwy 2, hwy 16, hwy 39, and hwy 43 over the past 3 months...

HELL NO!
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

With close to zero enforcement why even have a law? Last night my step-daughter noticed an ***** at a red light texting (okay its a red light not a huge sin) but it seemed with each letter he typed he was slowly creeping forward into the intersection. The light turned green and he proceeded to drive off albeit NOT in a straight line.

What message is so important that you will risk your or other's lives to read and send?

That's ok Sundance, I watched some dumb broad yesterday at a yield sign, texting as she was getting ready to merge into traffic. I was like "are you serious?".

Nothing has changed since this law was introduced. I think now that I look for it I never realized just how much of a problem this is on our roads.

Regarding the annoying electronic signs, I complained to my alderman. And I deliberately ignore them, all signage for that matter.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing one of those e-signs fried by a lightening strike.

Partially Addicted to C2E

I see at least 2 people each day texting or talking on the cell while driving...The enforcement for this law seemed to have stopped completely.

I saw a female cop on 118 ave on her hand held. I couldn't get turned around so as to get a car and plate #. Great example of "do as we say not as we do"

It is more than just "do as we say not as we do", police, firefighters and EMS drivers are exempt of the legislation as is the general public when calling 911.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    It is more than just "do as we say not as we do", police, firefighters and EMS drivers are exempt of the legislation as is the general public when calling 911.
    And EMS, Fire and Police don't have hands free? Really? Pure BS and you know it.If an accident occurs due to negligence caused by distraction, does the family of the victim or the victim themself care what was legislated?

dude, lets not overthink too deep into this. The bottom line it isn't cops, fireman or air traffic controllers breaking this law en masse and getting into collisions ... it's every joe six pack driving thinking they're pulling a fast one over the immediate surroundings and that we're all retards as they text something exceptionally non important. Really. Who gives a flying ratsarse about the people that actually need to use mobile communication, like police. Horrible arguement.
    Last edited by Kitlope; 07-09-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Emergency services and truck drivers have been using mikes for years with fairly little impact on safety, I personally don't see a problem with using mikes or handsfree, but to hear a cell phone you have to hold it to dial or text you have to look away from the road, that is where my problem is.

I do wonder when the police or sheriffs are pulling people over during a speed trap are they also pulling over driver's using their cell phones? If not, they should be.

dude, lets not overthink too deep into this. The bottom line it isn't cops, fireman or air traffic controllers breaking this law en masse and getting into collisions ... it's every joe six pack driving thinking they're pulling a fast one over the immediate surroundings and that we're all retards as they text something exceptionally non important. Really. Who gives a flying ratsarse about the people that actually need to use mobile communication, like police. Horrible arguement.
    The name is Chris, not dude firstly.
    Secondly, using a hand held device poses a risk regardless of the profession one has. How is a cop on a cell any less a danger than I?My point and opinion is valid and logical. Yours has little if any merit whatsoever DUDE.

*sigh*

Go read my posts, all within this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    Secondly, using a hand held device poses a risk regardless of the profession one has. How is a cop on a cell any less a danger than I?My point and opinion is valid and logical. Yours has little if any merit whatsoever DUDE.
    The difference is the cop or ems driver has had significant training on how to operate in these conditions, and only do so as required by their jobs. Josephine Q Public gabbing on the phone about the latest family gossip doesn't have the training nor Jon requirement to need to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    The difference is the cop or ems driver has had significant training on how to operate in these conditions, and only do so as required by their jobs. Josephine Q Public gabbing on the phone about the latest family gossip doesn't have the training nor Jon requirement to need to do so.
    Texting or taking one's eyes off the road to answer a call has the same potential consequences regardless of whether a badge worn or not. No dice. If I must pay attention, which I do ( Commercial truck driver that I am for 24 years) then those in uniform must set a good example for all drivers. Especially new ones. No dice. I don't buy your argument. I'll leave this here as I will not change my POV.

First One is Always Free

In the last 6 months I've almost hit four people who hit the brakes and swerve to the shoulder to answer their phones...it was WAY BETTER when people just took their calls while driving...it's no skin off my *** if they do, and only "busybodies" are concerned with what others are doing.

This City / Province is RULE crazy, they pass laws against EVERYTHING, and don't have the resources to enforce the laws they pass. If you've travelled outside of your own little town, you would realize most of the world is not like this...it's just a government Tax scheme. Eg. Why is the Deerfoot Trail in Calgary 100 - 110 km / hr and the Whitemud in Edmonton 80 Km/Hr???

Whitemud is 80 km/h because it was built by the city to the city's standards, the province doesn't like ramps every mile and will build shoulders on both sides of the freeway. The geometry doesn't also permit 100 km/h for some parts for two reasons, curves are too tight in some spots and the slopes are too steep to allow sufficient sightlines under bridges.

But yes unless they enforce the distracted driver law what is the point of having it.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Whitemud is 80 km/h because it was built by the city to the city's standards, the province doesn't like ramps every mile and will build shoulders on both sides of the freeway. The geometry doesn't also permit 100 km/h for some parts for two reasons, curves are too tight in some spots and the slopes are too steep to allow sufficient sightlines under bridges.

But yes unless they enforce the distracted driver law what is the point of having it.
    When the first section of the Whitemud was built between 159th Street and Fox Drive it used to be 60 mph or 100 km/h it was reduced sometime around the early 90's I remember because I was very much a speed demon as a younger driver...

Too many accidents were occuring approaching and crossing the Quesnell Bridge southbound due to speed and icing factors in the winter so they dropped it.

Realistically, a lot of people do 100+ km/hr on the Whitemud anyway, and there are many sections where it is safe to do so.

Alberta isn't nearly as nanny-state rule-crazy as most Canadian provinces.

Just like the QEII 110 km/m may be the "limit" but to be honest most people drive at around 120 km/h (at least until the RCMP catch them for the $$$)

I once heard from a civil engineer that highways in Canada where the speed limit is 110 km/hr are actually designed for speeds of 140 km/hr. Similar highways in parts of Europe (with even narrower lanes and shoulders) have speed limits of 130 km/hr. Then, of course, there's the German autobahns. Speed limits in North America typically seem to be set unreasonably low.

Sorry, getting off-topic... yeah, those distracted drivers, I tell ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Municipal Man of Mystery View Post
    I once heard from a civil engineer that highways in Canada where the speed limit is 110 km/hr are actually designed for speeds of 140 km/hr. Similar highways in parts of Europe (with even narrower lanes and shoulders) have speed limits of 130 km/hr. Then, of course, there's the German autobahns. Speed limits in North America typically seem to be set unreasonably low.

Sorry, getting off-topic... yeah, those distracted drivers, I tell ya!
    Its those "distracted drivers" WHO DO THOSE SPEEDS! that drive me to want to scare the bejesus out of them by slightly braking in front of them......................

Then let them go home and change thier pants.....

Quote Originally Posted by NielCole View Post
    Its those "distracted drivers" WHO DO THOSE SPEEDS! that drive me to want to scare the bejesus out of them by slightly braking in front of them......................

Then let them go home and change their pants.....
    If some ***** is tailgating me real bad and I cannot change lanes, I'll tap the break so the lights come on, they back up usually flippin' the bird and yelling all kinds of profanity inside their vehicle.

With ABS, better tires, disk brakes, virtually no one follows the three second rule anymore yet alone have even the faintest concept of what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by NielCole View Post

Then let them go home and change thier pants.....
    I don't give them the fortune of seeing my tail lights. Rather I gear down without the use of my brakes. The day any of these ********** hits me will be a very bad one indeed for them.

I don't give them the fortune of seeing my tail lights. Rather I gear down without the use of my brakes. The day any of these ********** hits me will be a very bad one indeed for them.
    True, 99.9% of the time rear ending or shunting the vehicle in front, the driver doing the shunting would be at fault: not paying attention and following too close.

still wish I got a buck for the yakkers and textualists
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Unfortunately this law has not done a thing to get people off their damn phones and texting behind the wheel. Too bad

Going down Hwy 16 east as a passenger I watched a girl in her early 20s in a car without a license plate but with a sticker on the window... I'm assuming becuse of this she had just bought it. And what was she doing? Texting, in her new car that wasn't even an hour old, probably bragging to friends about her new purchase, doing 10 under the speed limit and slightly swerving.

The morons are everywhere.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I don't think the law is being enforced. I see people on their phones all the time. Yesterday I saw a woman drive past me on the Whitemud putting on mascara. Stupid ditz. I really hate the way police use these laws as a cash cow... Rather than enforcing the law year round, they do it in stages. Enforce for a month, then leave it until people stop following it, then BAM... Enforcement blitz and a few million bucks in tickets over a week of enforcement. Just enforce the law and save lives all year please!!!

The other day a girl slammed into the back of my mom's car (new, 2012) on Whyte and 109st after she was stopped for 5-6 seconds. She claims she was busy mucking with the stereo...
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Fatal collision a result of distracted driving

RCMP say the woman had exited from the highway and was in the process of turning onto Baseline Road westbound but she failed to stop at the stop sign and was struck by an eastbound tractor-trailer.

Traffic investigators say it appears she had been talking on her cellphone at the time of the collision.

Read more at http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/fatal-col...ving-1.1005332
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

^ Unfortunately she won't have the opportunity to learn from this mistake. This one is permanent.

I'll split the blame 1:1 between her distraction and that mega-******** interchange. 6 lane freeway and it's got less traffic control than a parking lot.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by dasupalouie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    My experience is I find its a bit harder to text and drive now, I have to quickly glance down at my knees (as keep phone hidden now, instead of up high), it used to be a bit safer I think. I try to do more at intersections when stopped (which is safer I guess).
    lol is this a joke? even if you're stopped you can be fined and you shouldn't even be using your phone, yet alone texting (worse than a phone call.)

lol, whatever, sometimes you just need to use your phone. as long as you keep it brief, its just gonna happen anyway, sometimes people just need to get things done that require a phone, you cant pull over every time one of these times comes up. and just because youre using a phone doesnt mean youre actually distracted.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    and cops should seriously enforce tint laws.

you freaking KIDDING ME? what are you 98?

take that back!!

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post

RCMP say the woman had exited from the highway and was in the process of turning onto Baseline Road westbound but she failed to stop at the stop sign and was struck by an eastbound tractor-trailer.

Traffic investigators say it appears she had been talking on her cellphone at the time of the collision.

And how did this determination come to fruition? How very convenient.My bet is that she underestimated the speed of the oncoming traffic and attempted the crossover too soon. Why the hell is there no light where one is attempting to cross 3 full lanes of oncoming fwy speed traffic? ******** city idea this is.

Quote Originally Posted by mainly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    and cops should seriously enforce tint laws.

you freaking KIDDING ME? what are you 98?

take that back!!
    Agreed. The cops have plenty else of much greater urgency than that. Move on...........

And how did this determination come to fruition? How very convenient.My bet is that she underestimated the speed of the oncoming traffic and attempted the crossover too soon. Why the hell is there no light where one is attempting to cross 3 full lanes of oncoming fwy speed traffic? ******** city idea this is.
    When you say "city," you're talking about Sherwood Park, right?
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post

When you say "city," you're talking about Sherwood Park, right?
    No. Sherwood Park is classified as hamlet not a city. I am referring to Edmonton since the TUC is the boundary between the two if I'm not mistaken.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

The city limits at Baseline Road are at 34 St. Also, the TUC is provincially owned.
    http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...2_Ward_Map.pdf

No. Sherwood Park is classified as hamlet not a city.
    I've never figured that one out. Are they trying for the Guiness record for the hamlet with the largest population?
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

No. Sherwood Park is classified as hamlet not a city.
    I've never figured that one out. Are they trying for the Guinness record for the hamlet with the largest population?
    I believe it is already. Not sure.

Not trying for a record its just a matter of political convenience. Being a city offers no significant advantages over being a county. As most of the county is urban its wishes are relatively well represent. The county is quite small so the rural interests are relatively well met.

This is somewhat similar to Fort McMurray and the RM of Wood Buffalo. Fort McMurray disincorporated in 1995.

To get somewhat back on topic, yah the Baseline AHD interchange is poorly designed for SB->EB and NB->WB turns, at the very least they need acceleration lanes so you can get halfway across or wider median. Traffic signals would help too, not sure what it will be rebuilt as;
    http://www.northeastanthonyhenday.co.../SITE%2028.jpg

And to get back on topic, that is one intersection you shouldn't ever drive when texting or talking on the phone, at rush hour you have next to no opportunities to make it, the slightest mistake and you're in an accident.
    Last edited by sundance; 25-10-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Strathcona county isn't a tax haven?

But yeah, the DD law is just an excuse for EPS to have any reason to pull you over.

Quote Originally Posted by shabbadoo View Post
    But yeah, the DD law is just an excuse for EPS to have any reason to pull you over.
    It would be nice if they pulled more people over, I see too many times people who are texting or talking and driving, they either do stupid things like lane changes without looking or are driving 20 or more km/h below the speed limit.

Quote Originally Posted by shabbadoo View Post
    Strathcona county isn't a tax haven?
    What's that based on?

^^ From what I see every day, lane changes without looking and driving 20 or more kmh under the limit are common occurrences without fiddling around with assorted devices.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

If the damn police can use their cellphones, which they always do, while they drive then i'll be damned if I can't! I will never concede that some cop is better educated than me in how to use a cell phone while driving. That is just ******** to think police are somehow able to talk on their phone without getting distracted but I can't. How the hell do you teach someone to be good at not getting distracted by their phone...it's just stupidity to even think that. I had no idea police were actually allowed to use their cell while driving! As long as police have that privilege then so do I.

And, if it actually is so dangerous to talk on your cellphone, to the point in which we make a law banning it, even banning those who have done it everyday for years and are experts at the craft....then....under no circumstance should police, eps, firefighters etc. be allowed to use theirs. No one can truly believe a course or two is better than years of experience. What a joke of a law!

If the police stopped using their cell phones then so would I.

Police are given various privilege that normal citizens don't get. You can think that you have the privilege to talk on the phone and speed because the police do, but don't be surprised if you get a ticket for it (and good luck fighting it in court).

Addicted to C2E

Default 6 out of 10 ?

While waiting northbound at 91 st and whitemud I counted 6 out of the 10 cars turning off the whitemud heading (L) southbound on the phone and one eating ...totally random count and that was the total ...
    FU(71N pathetic!
    I wish I was a cop for a day ....no gun but ALOT of broken phones laying against the curbs! lol
    Why does it seem that everybody (...man ,woman young and old) wants to believe that there are certain laws that dont apply to them ?
    It's like a trend to ignore common sence and throw caution to the wind at the expence of a random victoms health and and safety.
    3 thousand plus pounds of steel and glass hurtling down the road at 60 or more km/hr and thats the time to multi task ?
    The fines have to increase to 1000 dollars/ no second chance and possible vehicle seizure in the event of a collision ...period!

Partially Addicted to C2E

There should be some kind of announcement on a radio and TV which should ask drivers to check their manuals.
    People should study car controls.
    I see more and more people driving without tail lights when it is dark. Especially these days when windshields are far from clean.
    And it is not that they are just ignorant or lazy. Every time I let someone know about it, they seemed very surprised because they can see that headlights are "on" and dash is illuminated. They don't even consider that tail lights might be "off".
    Another thing is All Wheel Drive feature. There are tons of drivers in AWD SUVs(and I mean the ones that say they are AWD on a back) on our icy streets who use only 2 wheel drive when they could engage 4. Sitting there, spinning 2 wheels. Just because you have purchased AWD vehicle doesn't mean all 4 wheels are turning by default.

Some potentially good news on the Distracted Driving front:

Alberta police chiefs are calling on the provincial government to create stiffer penalties for distracted drivers.

The Alberta Association of Chiefs of Police doesn’t think the $172 fine is a sufficient deterrent, so it has asked the province to add demerit points to the offence, Edmonton police Chief Rod Knecht said Friday.

The law had drivers keeping their hands on the wheel and their eyes on the road when it was first introduced in September 2011, but they have since returned to their distractions, said Knecht, the association president.

“You’re sitting at a red light and you look around, and if there’s two or three lanes of traffic, at least one person’s talking on their cellphone or texting,” Knecht said.

Edmonton police handed out 672 distracted driving tickets between Sept. 1 and Dec. 31, 2011. So far they’ve handed out 4,384 tickets in 2012, including 609 in March alone.

About 90 per cent of the tickets had to do with drivers using cellphones. Motorists can also be ticketed for sketching, personal grooming and other non-driving activities behind the wheel.

“Everyone’s sort of resumed their old bad habits and it’s attributed to the fact that, you know, all you’re doing is paying a fine,” Knecht said.

Demerits, on the other hand, have an impact on driving habits, he said.

“If people feel ‘Well, gee, if I get two or three of these I could lose my license for a little while,’ then people tend to stop.”

Alberta Transportation looks at many factors when considering changes to legislation, including statistics and feedback from Albertans, said David Hennig, spokesman for Alberta Transportation.

“We’re always evaluating our legislation,” he said. “It’s an ongoing process.”

The branch will continue working with Alberta Justice to determine whether changes are needed, but there are no new penalties for distracted driving currently in the works, Hennig said.

This change couldn't come fast enough. And while you're at it, triple the fine!

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...381/story.html

Quote Originally Posted by immobile View Post
    People should study car controls.
    I see more and more people driving without tail lights when it is dark.
    For some vehicle operators there needs to be another bell/warning that it's dark out.

Driving into to Edmonton on Hwy 14 the night conditions were poor, visibility, drifting snow, high-beams not possible. The limit is 100 km/h. I was doing 75 and dam near rear-ended a lady who was doing about 50 with no taillights on. I did manage to catch a glimpse of the children's DVD player through the rear window, thankfully.

That's ok, driving back from Ft. Mac after the Suncor shut down in early Oct there was a guy in a little car driving to Ft. Mac on very new black pavement with no lights on at all! On hwy 63! In the dark! Blew my mind.

"Everyone’s sort of resumed their old bad habits and it’s attributed to the fact that, you know, all you’re doing is paying a fine,” Knecht said.
    I think it has more to do with a lack of enforcement. People know they won't get caught.

"Everyone’s sort of resumed their old bad habits and it’s attributed to the fact that, you know, all you’re doing is paying a fine,” Knecht said.
    I think it has more to do with a lack of enforcement. People know they won't get caught.
    Funny how we some have no issue with photo radar and it's lack of demerits for speeding. Which we all know is dangerous and yet we want demerits for distracted driving? Remove the cash cow called Photo radar and have the police issue real tickets with demerits and then I'll buy the argument for demerits on distracted driving.

The number of people who drive without their lights on after dusk is a huge pet-peeve of mine.

Also, people who think its appropriate to pull over to the shoulder of the Whitemud to take a phone call rather than get a inexpensive hands free option. These people are often driving cars that likely have built-in Bluetooth hands free in the car already.
    Last edited by etownboarder; 24-12-2012 at 06:18 PM.

You can't assign demerits for photo radar because you can't confirm who is driving. My 1 photo radar ticket actually went to my mom, since I was driving her car.

I was in the Walmart parking lot at Southpark on Saturday night and a driver with his headphones in his ear blatantly plowed perpendicular to where I was driving just to get into a parking spot.

Luckily I was using caution, but had I been a few inches further he would have t-boned me.

Quote Originally Posted by jadzia2000 View Post
    I was in the Walmart parking lot at Southpark on Saturday night and a driver with his headphones in his ear blatantly plowed perpendicular to where I was driving just to get into a parking spot.

Luckily I was using caution, but had I been a few inches further he would have t-boned me.
    At this time of year (even without the headphones) people are driving like they are the only car on the planet. Was at Meadowlark today to hit shoppers for a couple of gift cards and the "Walmart" type drivers were skidding around the lot trying to beat each others into getting a spot close to the doors....stuuuuppppppiiiiiiiidddddd!

You can't assign demerits for photo radar because you can't confirm who is driving. My 1 photo radar ticket actually went to my mom, since I was driving her car.
    That's my point. You were speeding and paid only a fine for doing something considered dangerous with no demerits because it's a photo ticket. If speeding and distracted driving is dangerous, then have demerits on both and remove the photo radar. The government would then have some credibility with thier argument of removing bad drivers off the road through demerits for bad driving..

Funny how we some have no issue with photo radar and it's lack of demerits for speeding. Which we all know is dangerous and yet we want demerits for distracted driving? Remove the cash cow called Photo radar and have the police issue real tickets with demerits and then I'll buy the argument for demerits on distracted driving.
    Personally, I think both should have demerits. I've hated and fought against photo radar because of the whole cash cow thing since it came to Edmonton in 1993 (I believe), but I've since changed my attitude. Too many distracted, aggressive and speeding drivers out there and IMO we need every deterrent possible to keep them from endangering others.

Nope. Driver distraction law is obviously not encourages idiots to obey the law.

Saw a woman today driving her truck, and not only was she on her cellphone, but had her dog on her lap and turned left at a t-intersection as I was approaching. Just about collided with her.

Seems the government has a new ad campaign regarding distracted driving.

Fatal distraction: Stop looking at your crotch and pay attention to the road

EDMONTON - A new provincewide campaign against distracted driving focuses on an unlikely target: Your crotch.

Alberta Transportation launched its cheeky Crotches Kill campaign Wednesday, an effort that includes classic tools like radio ads and billboards, but also includes talking urinal pucks and digital ads for washrooms in bars and restaurants. The message, awfully personal at first blush, is focused on people who text while driving.

“Distracted by your crotch again, huh?” says the urinal puck. “Well, it’s fine to do it here, but it can kill behind the wheel. Keep your eyes up. Don’t text and drive. We know what you’re doing down there.”

The $380,000 campaign comes 15 months after Alberta’s distracted driving legislation went into effect. Alberta Transportation officials said that while people initially seemed to abide by the new rules against talking on hand-held cellphones, many are back to their old habits, including texting.

Read more here:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...421/story.html

Personally, until they raise the fine, include demerits and notify insurance companies, I feel this is a bit of a waste of taxpayers money. Nothing wrong with educating the public - but this is something everybody already knows and the idiots will simply keep on texting.

They don't even have to raise fines or add demerits. Just enforce the damn law already. At first I noticed a big decline in the number of people on their phone behind the wheel, but since the initial enforcement blitz ended, it's just as bad if not worse than before the law came into effect. Enforce it daily and people will change behaviors... Enforce it for a day or two annually, and people will risk the unlikely ticket and fine.

If you do run across someone doing something totally stupid just call 911 on report them with the plate number the time you saw them on the phone while driving, description of the vehicle etc etc etc as I have done that a couple of times, as the EPS is very appreciative of other people noticing the extremely distracted drivers.

They can track the calling time on the drivers phones down to match the time you reported the distracted driver then either fine or charge them depending on the case involved. We are allowed to report these as well.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast