Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Driver Distraction law... is it working?

Quote Originally Posted by NielCole View Post
    If you do run across someone doing something totally stupid just call 911 on report them with the plate number the time you saw them on the phone while driving, description of the vehicle etc etc etc as I have done that a couple of times, as the EPS is very appreciative of other people noticing the extremely distracted drivers.

They can track the calling time on the drivers phones down to match the time you reported the distracted driver then either fine or charge them depending on the case involved. We are allowed to report these as well.
    So I'm supposed to call 911 while I'm driving to report someone else talking on their phone while they're driving? As long as I have a hands-free earpiece right?

1. Way to flood 911 with more "non-emergency" calls.
    2. Two people driving distracted instead of one.

This
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by deedub35 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NielCole View Post
    If you do run across someone doing something totally stupid just call 911 on report them with the plate number the time you saw them on the phone while driving, description of the vehicle etc etc etc as I have done that a couple of times, as the EPS is very appreciative of other people noticing the extremely distracted drivers.

They can track the calling time on the drivers phones down to match the time you reported the distracted driver then either fine or charge them depending on the case involved. We are allowed to report these as well.
    So I'm supposed to call 911 while I'm driving to report someone else talking on their phone while they're driving? As long as I have a hands-free earpiece right?

1. Way to flood 911 with more "non-emergency" calls.
    2. Two people driving distracted instead of one.

Don't be an ***** you pull over then call and yes you can call 911 Orrrr if you happen to be on the sidewalk and the butthead nearly mows you down you can call after you change your pants......

Partially Addicted to C2E

Everyone should have some kind of video recorder in a vehicle to record the action(speak of a Las Vegas shooting today).
    Police and insurance companies love that idea, too.
    I won my case 1 year ago when someone hit me on parking lot thanks to a video evidence. Walked away without 50/50 fault.

If you own a smartphone you can just get a mount for a windshield or dash. Itunes has tons of apps for this task. The videos show your speed, date, direction of travel, GPS location, G-forces, etc. It is almost stupid not to have one.
    Here is a sample.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqfUl5ASYrI

I use Ipod Touch with a standard built in camera app. Mine doesn't show any info since it is not a phone.

Here is my latest close call. If I rammed my work truck into that bus, I would probably be "driving too fast" for police to investigate. And since I have a prof - I sleep well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQXtn-AoCLQ

Because lack of police resources rarely in Russia do police investigate accidents, as a result a lot of Russians have dashboard cams to record in the case of an accident. This is why there are so many Russian accident videos on Youtube, another plus is a lot of cars took videos of the exploding meteorite too.
    Immobile you should report the incident to Edmonton Transit, I've had drivers almost run me off the road because they weren't shoulder checking. You can do this from this site;
    http://coewebapps3.edmonton.ca/tscom...s/default.aspx

But to get back on topic, the latest ads will make no difference, people don't care, to make them care they need to get tickets. In Edmonton (and area) they should be pulling over as many people as they feasibly can to give them distracted driving tickets.
    Last edited by sundance; 22-02-2013 at 12:36 PM.

^ Coincidentally, the following is a letter from today's Journal. Seems complaining hasn't done much for him.

You only have to be accused to suffer a consequence.
    I own a small business. Edmonton Police Service contacted me to say an Edmonton Transit bus driver had reported that my delivery van side-swiped her bus.
    Our driver had no recollection of any accident. There was no physical evidence of damage to our van or any paint or material transfer.
    The height of the damage to the bus did not match the body or bumper height of our van. The damage indicates the bus was travelling forward and scraped against a stationary object.
    No one in the city hierarchy, from the claims adjuster to the mayor’s office, will consider the bus driver might be wrong about how the damage occurred.
    The claim is for a 0.8-metre scratch, one-sixteenth of an inch deep, behind the rear door of the bus. The collision would have been viewed only by the bus driver through her passenger’s mirror.
    I have repeatedly asked the city to have a city transit investigator recreate the accident to prove my point that the physics doesn’t fit the driver’s recollection of what happened.
    City officials maintain that if the bus driver says it happened, then they support her.
    I have spent five months and untold hours to disprove a $656 damage claim. Apparently, it’s true: you can’t fight city hall.
    Terry Carter, Fort Saskatchewan
    © Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Default Distracted Driving law not working

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Not sure if there is another thread on this although there's the "lousy driving" thread.

So it's been just over 3 months since the new law took effect and I'm wondering what everyone's experiences with it is. Myself I have noticed that I don't see as many driving with phones glued to their ears or texting however I still see some morons that figure they are above everybody else & the law.

The real problem lies in the thinking of the ***** - studies are indicating that "it's everyone else that can't drive while on the phone/texting but I'm a good driver while doing so'. Pretty selfish of the morons to actually think this doesn't affect their driving.

The other day I was coming home and watched a guy pass me, phone to his ear. Watched him wander into my lane in front of me and once he realized he needed to turn left made a very quick change of lanes to get into the left turning lane because he almost missed it. This tends to happen when the ***** is distracted. No signal light was used of course. I followed him because I had to go that way too and once he turned he continued to wander. I was almost ready to follow him into the condo's he later turned into and remind him that:

1. It's illegal
    2. That I watched him for 20 blocks, not signalling, wandering lanes and jeopardizing everybody's safety.

I chose not to say anything because the truth is it's a losing battle. I estimate 20% of drivers still have these horrible driving habits. That's a lot of drivers to remind that they're breaking the law.

Personally I think a $172.00 fine with no demerits is a joke and once the Gov't/police figure out that the law isn't have as much of an effect as they would like fines will be increased and demerits added. Maybe even the ***** should take a hit on their insurance when caught. Perhaps it should be treated like impaired driving, driver distraction really isn't much different as it all boils down to keeping the roads safe.

Anyone else have horror stories? How do we correct this?
    I am pretty sure the amount of drivers using cell phones etc while driving has increased over the past few months. Next time you are at a red light just look around.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I am pretty sure the amount of drivers using cell phones etc while driving has increased over the past few months. Next time you are at a red light just look around.
    Actually, if you would have read the rest of the thread you'll have seen that we know phone use while driving has not decreased since this law went into action. As a matter of fact, it now seems to have increased.

And a couple days ago, on 91 street and about 28 ave, some lady was yapping on her phone, blocking traffic as she was making a left. It looks like she was "caught" as the light changed and now she was blocking northbound traffic on 91 street. I was about 5 cars back, her window was down and I screamed "Hey stupid, put the f*cking phone down and drive!" She heard this and started yelling back at me, as she sat there blocking traffic. Yep, I'm the distracted dummy here you ******, and you're really screwing things up for ALL drivers because of your sense of entitlement.

The police are putting a recomendation with the province to increase fines and demerits for the idiots. Looking forward to it passing.

They can increase it to $1,000 and 5 demerits, but it doesn't matter if they don't enforce it.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

My biggest problem with it is the scientific fact that banning handsets while allowing handsfree usage does exactly nothing to make the roads safer.

Curiosity get me. Where would someone find the source of those scientific facts you mention?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    My biggest problem with it is the scientific fact that banning handsets while allowing handsfree usage does exactly nothing to make the roads safer.
    I often suspected this would be the case. The sort of ****wit who would think it fine to drive around texting/dialing/phoning etc. can probably find a thousand other things to do in a vehicle to distract themselves from the inconvenience of actually having to concentrate on watching the road ahead.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Curiosity get me. Where would someone find the source of those scientific facts you mention?
    It's been well known for years. It popped up in the media again because a U of A study came out recently, but studies that have been done over the past decade show pretty much the same thing: it's not the physical device that causes distraction, it's the conversation. Therefore there is no point to banning the use of handheld devices while still allowing handsfree ones. It does nothing to decrease distraction levels.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle12149961/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_...ndsfree_device (has a bunch of sources in the footnotes)

Really what it comes down to is that banning handheld cell phones while still allowing handsfree devices is misguided and not likely to result in any improvement in accident rates, to say nothing of loose pets, screaming kids, or chatty Kathy's sitting shotgun. It's well intentioned, but completely misguided.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 06-06-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Thanks Marcel for the links.

And almost every new model comes with some sort of interactive screen in the dash. Anything to keep a person's attention off the road, I guess. Probably why we have all kinds of gizmos to warn of this, that and the other. Oh, that's right, it's what the consumer wants. Really? The consumer wants distraction over road attention? It must be so.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Here's the latest uber-dummy to grace the headlines of the local papers.

Suspect in custody after exceeding 250 km/h in stolen car chase

A 27-year-old Edmonton man is in custody facing charges after leading police on a chase in an allegedly stolen car Friday along Anthony Henday Drive, reaching speeds of 254 km/h.

An officer saw the black 2014 Chevrolet sedan speeding down the Henday early Friday morning, police said in a news release. The speed limit on the ring road is 100 km/h.

A brief chase was launched and Air1, the police helicopter, responded and spotted the car, which crashed a short time later in the area of Range Road 261 and Township Road 514, police said.

A woman riding in the passenger seat suffered minor injuries in the crash and was arrested by police at the scene.The driver of the car fled on foot.

Police helicopter, Edmonton police and RCMP canine units, along with southwest division officers, continued to track the driver through the river valley toward the Terwillegar area for several hours.

He was arrested early Friday afternoon in the area of Quadrant Avenue and 215th Street, police spokeswoman Leila Daoud said.

“There is no question that this driver endangered lives,” Staff Sgt. Curtis Schriever said in the release. “He showed a complete disregard for the safety of the people travelling on the same road as him. I cannot imagine what this individual was thinking travelling at such a dangerous rate of speed.”

The car’s passenger, Tannis Atkinson, 19, of Edmonton, is charged with possession of crystal methamphetamine and possession of stolen property.

The driver of the car remains in police custody and charges are pending against him, Daoud said.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...468/story.html

I sorta get the stealing of the car thing and joyriding, but doing 154 km/h over the speed limit just to draw attention to yourself and get busted? That's a Darwin award right there lol

With the warmer weather I've noticed more folks texting and talking while driving. One lady was curling her lashes and texting on Gretzky drive the other day.

My company has a zero tolerance policy in their vehicles or if you're using your own, no blue-tooth the phone has to be in the glove box airplane mode on.

It's not the physical device that causes distraction, it's the conversation. Therefore there is no point to banning the use of handheld devices while still allowing handsfree ones. It does nothing to decrease distraction levels.
    Also, it's been shown that texting or conversing via mobile phone while driving is worse than being impaired.

Funny that just yesterday we saw a 1/2 ton driver with a camper + Loaded horse trailer (yes with horses) weaving down the QueEEEDeux north (stam-peed to KayDays perhaps ?) Textin' away with headphones on
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    Funny that just yesterday we saw a 1/2 ton driver with a camper + Loaded horse trailer (yes with horses) weaving down the QueEEEDeux north (stam-peed to KayDays perhaps ?) Textin' away with headphones on
    Did he have his left foot out the window, resting on the side view mirror bracket?

no, she didn't
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wilson View Post
    It's not the physical device that causes distraction, it's the conversation. Therefore there is no point to banning the use of handheld devices while still allowing handsfree ones. It does nothing to decrease distraction levels.
    Also, it's been shown that texting or conversing via mobile phone while driving is worse than being impaired.
    Its almost as bad as drinking coffee while driving, spilling that causes accidents all the time. Hold on, that's ok because police like donuts and...

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Its almost as bad as drinking coffee while driving, spilling that causes accidents all the time. Hold on, that's ok because police like donuts and...

Hey! A large coffee and a donut saved me a speeding ticket! Years ago, I came down Grierson Hill and merged into fast moving traffic and popped over the McDougal Hill overpass at 70+ kph. The police car was right there BUT he had a large coffee in his right hand and a donut in his left. He could not open his door and the coffee was too tall to place on his dash.

yes, and so can adjusting the climate control of the car, going from K-Rock to The Bear on the radio, glancing once in a while to the side or review mirror (because, you know, it's considered a good habit); every one of these acts takes away from the drivers attention for a brief moment as to what's happening on the road, but it's neccessary. Seriously Moa, you haven't figured this out on your own?

There has always been driver distraction, for decades. Actually, since the automobile was first invented. But the distraction was usually within reason. A rouge cigarette dropped. Perhaps some screaming Kids. A yappy dog riding on the lap. Reaching for a lighter. Changing the volume of the radio. But now, every dope is driving around most constantly distracted due to the "smart-phone". It's a big difference that has become a phenom in the last 10 years (for the most part). Instead of being distracted once or twice (or even 3 or 4 times) every minute for a brief second, you're without realizing it that you're staring at your ballz texting some honey from poF because you might get laid.

And now you haven't looked at the road (and the incredibly quick changing conditions) in 3 seconds.

Give me some apples Moa.

C2E Posting Power

I have seen more than one cop sitting in his or her cruiser at a red light texting away on their phone. I must admit I also sometimes check my phone to change a song or read a text at a red light, but there's something to be said about leading by example.

I think my all-time winner for distracted driver has to go to the guy I once saw driving down the whitemud (speeding) with one elbow on the wheel, while on his phone and eating a bowl of cereal.

Interesting story today, seems a chronic road rager (9 occurances in the last 2 years) had his SUV seized by the police.

EDMONTON - A specialized Edmonton police traffic team has taken the unprecedented step of seizing the vehicle of an alleged dangerous driver after an investigation into nine separate road-rage incidents over a two-year period, police said Tuesday.

The specialized traffic apprehension team seized the luxury SUV July 31 following an investigation prompted by an alleged road rage incident in Edmonton on April 21, Supt. Kevin Galvin said Tuesday. In that case, the driver of one vehicle attempted to force another vehicle off the road and then threatened the other driver.

Galvin said police began investigating the man whose vehicle was seized after receiving reports of nine separate road-rage incidents between 2011 and 2013 — all allegedly with the same man behind the wheel.

Police seized the man’s vehicle and arrested him July 31.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...479/story.html

Good on the police and I'm looking forward to more idiots losing their right to hurt and possibly kill members of the public.

Bwhahahahahah!

Edmonton police discover kilogram of cocaine after pulling over distracted driver

EDMONTON - An officer pulled over a distracted driver this week and found more than a kilogram of cocaine, police said Thursday.

Around 7:50 p.m. Tuesday, the officer noticed a teen texting while driving, followed him as he drove erratically, then stopped him on Bellamy Hill near 103rd Street.

Police searched the vehicle after noticing a strong smell of marijuana. They found 1,095 grams of cocaine, eight grams of marijuana and about $1,400 in cash. Police say that broken down and sold in small hits, the cocaine is worth up to $88,000.

The teen — who cannot be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act — has been charged with possession for the purpose of trafficking, possession, two breaches, and one count of possessing a government document. He was also handed a $172 distracted driving ticket.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...503/story.html

I love stories like this.

I hate stories like this: http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/08...-jaws-of-life/

TTC bus crash leaves one dead and 12 injured after cube van slams into it at transit stop

The sounds of a “big bang,” crushing metal and terrified screams rang through a north Scarborough neighbourhood Tuesday, after a cube van careened onto the wrong side of Steeles Avenue and smashed into a stopped bus.

The crash killed a 52-year-old woman who was waiting to exit the bus and injured a dozen others, including the TTC operator and the man driving the van. The impact also sheared a hydro pole in half, temporarily knocking out power to thousands of local homes.

One witness said the van’s driver appeared to be talking on a cellphone moments before the crash.

“He was on the phone and we thought probably he’s rushing to go somewhere,” Karan Shetty told local television reporters. Mr. Shetty, who was a passenger in a truck next to the bus at the time of the crash, described the impact as a “big bang,” noting he remained on scene to help injured passengers until police arrived.

“I’m in shock actually… I saw that lady almost collapse,” he said of the 52-year-old victim. “That lady was literally smashed.”
    Last edited by bolo; 15-08-2013 at 06:14 PM.

I heard about that yesterday on CBC news, didn't realize until now a cell phone was involved. Yup, that sucks. When are people going to get the message?

First One is Always Free

Cool

When are people going to get the message?
    I'm thinking probably never, or at least not until it personally affects them. I can't tell you the amount of people I see on their phones while bicycling to/from work, and usually the only reason I notice them is because they are drifting over into me or just cutting me off at intersections. I think sometimes they aim at me.

I just came back from a highway trip on my motorbike, down through Jasper, over the Coquihalla to Vancouver Island and back. I was cut off on highway 5 south of Blue River by an asshat with Washington plates. He was passing a line of traffic and decided to pull in, not in front of me, but INTO me. He was on his phone. I was about 6 inches away from hitting the ditch before he finally saw me, and this was with me hitting my horn and revving my engine. If I hadn't been watching I am fairly sure he would have just swept me right off the road. That's just the latest, there have been very very many on Edmonton streets. On my bicycle or my motorbike I see them a lot more, but maybe it's just that I notice them a lot more because I tend to drive both like everyone on the road is actively trying to kill me. 44 years old and still alive, so far!

Finally we're seeing some real statistics of distracted driving and it isn't good.

Fiddling with a cellphone while behind the wheel is proving to be deadlier than drunk driving -- at least according to statistics emerging from one province ahead of a campaign to crack down on distracted drivers.

So far, 47 of the 177 deaths on Ontario highways involved drivers who were distracted. That’s in contrast to the 32 people who died in impaired driving-related deaths.

Though there are distracted-driving laws in place in all provinces and territories except Nunavut, police and car safety advocates say Canadian drivers are not getting the message when comes to being alert and focused behind the wheel.
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/distrac...down-1.1434734

So, a week and a half ago I was driving North on 99 st when I noticed the person behind me was driving a bit oddly. Took a closer look and she was on her phone. Not talking on it, but yelling into it (speaker phone, but hand-held), complete with her hands waving around. It was clearly a heated discussion, and I started getting freaked out because it was rush hour (lots of stops and starts) and she was hardly paying attention to the road, and my son was with me. After 12 blocks of this, and being freaked out every time I had to stop, I got out of my car and approached her. I told her to hang up the phone and pay attention to the road. She told me to STFU because she hadn't even hit my car (that's what I was trying to avoid!). Then she told me something about how I should call the cops if I didn't like it, and I told her I wasn't going to move my car until she had hung up the phone, or gone around me. She went around me, and I grabbed her plate number and description of the car, then headed over to the local station.

At the station I spoke with the CST and he had me write a statement, and he asked me if I would go to court if the tickets were contested (yes). He followed up with me yesterday; he go ahold of the registered owner, and found out it was his sister driving the car. He spoke to her and she admitted she was on the phone having a heated argument with a former friend. Tickets are issued, and she'll either pay them or we'll go to court.

So if you're willing to go to court, the police will write a ticket based on your statement. Had this girl simply hung up the phone and not gotten so mouthy I wouldn't have gone to the police. It's pretty ballsy (stupid) to yell and scream at a person who has gotten out of their car to tell you to hang up the phone and pay attention to the road.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

if people havent gotten the message about drinking and driving yet why are we expecting them to get the message about distracted driving? its been really less than a decade compared to the half century of drinking and driving.

i think it will just continue like drunk driving and every so often when some big tragedy happens the police will crack down on it for a week or so then go back to business as usual.
    be offended! figure out why later...

Good for you Gord! It sucks though because going to court probably means at least losing a half days pay but you're doing the right thing. I'm usually not very busy in the winter time so next time I see someone driving dangerously I just might go down to the police station and report them. Too many entitled wingnuts out there to even think about talking to them about the issue, just for them to tell me to STFU.

The best is that it's the cops sister. Hilarious.

Naww, it doesn't affect pay for me - I work from home. It could mean I'd have to get someone to watch my son for a few hours, but I think delivering a message like this is more important. Can't control everyone, but at least I'll know this girl would be less likely to drive and talk on the phone. My only regret is that I didn't record the conversation on my phone.

Sorry I wasn't totally clear - it wasn't the cops sister, it was the sister of the guy who owned the car.

Ahhh. Nonetheless, I'm sure he wouldn't be happy knowing dear ol' sis was driving his car in the manner.

To be honest this is one of the many many poor driving habits adopted in this city.

If people can learn to drive without being jerks, we'd actually be able to be rid of the label that Edmontonians are indeed bad drivers.

Cell phone use? Meh. Just another check off the stupid/bad driver's list in Edmonton.

More than bad driving. It is more dangerous than drinking and driving.

I saw someone driving today who appeared to be paying attention to the road, not texting or tweeting or gabbing on the phone. They were driving around the speed limit with the flow of traffic not weaving in and out, and looked like they even slowed down a touch to let someone merge in front of them. I was in such shock I nearly hit someone else
    Last edited by reportsyourpost; 16-10-2013 at 11:28 PM.

^ best post of the week!

Quote Originally Posted by reportsyourpost View Post
    i saw someone driving today who appeared to be paying attention to the road, not texting or tweeting or gabbing on the phone. They were driving around the speed limit with the flow of traffic not weaving in and out, and looked like they even slowed down a touch to let someone merge in front of them. I was in such shock i nearly hit someone else

lol

reportsyourpost my hats off to you for posting a great post. Made my week.

Alberta Premier Alison Redford wants province to give stiffer penalties for distracted drivers

The province sure looks like it’s on the road to a stiffer penalty for distracted driving.
    After all, the premier says it’s “really important” to take the advice of the province’s police chiefs when it comes to distracted driving.

This time last year, the police brass push the province to hit distracted drivers with demerit points. The provincial government doesn’t.

This week Premier Redford tells the Sun the province’s top lawman, Jonathan Denis, will now speak to the top cops and “see where we can go” in reining in distracted driving.
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/12/1...racted-drivers

Here's hoping.

Yesterday I was driving on the right lane and this girl pulled out of her neighborhood rather sloppily left into the lane next to me. I thought she was going to run into me. As I passed her she had her oversized cellphone in her hand against her cheek. I pointed at her made the cellphone to my ear gesture and looked rather threatening as an indication to get off her phone. She did get off her phone.

She was a pretty girl and looked like someone who gets her way. So if cops are ignoring the pretty girls, they should be fined and suspended for allowing this.

I've seen several billboards around town advertising a radio station where they say "text us, I dare you."
    Is that not an absurd campaign? After all, who reads billboards other than drivers. So they're challenging drivers to text them.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

I'd submit a complaint to the Ad Standards Council, they are asking you to break a law.
    http://www.adstandards.com/en/consum...Complaint.aspx

As well file one with the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council
    http://www.cbsc.ca/english/complaint...aint-form.php?
    Last edited by sundance; 03-01-2014 at 10:06 AM.

This brings back memories of Glenn Anderson driving while being very distracted by a lady.
    http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/06...action-survey/

here's the latest dummy.

Edmonton man caught watching television while driving

EDMONTON - A 28-year-old Edmonton man was caught driving on a highway in a snowstorm while watching television on a laptop balanced on the dash of his car Saturday night.

The man was headed south in a red Volkswagen Golf on the Queen Elizabeth II Highway near Carstairs about 8:30 Saturday night when other drivers noticed his “irregular driving pattern” as he swerved out of his lane.

Witnesses who passed the vehicle saw he was watching an episode of American comedy series Tosh.0, which often shows Internet videos depicting people performing dangerous stunts.

Officers from the Airdrie RCMP quickly found the vehicle.

“With the white ‘glow’ emanating from the windows of the vehicle, officers had no trouble locating it on the highway,” Acting Sheriff Sgt. Jason Graw said.

The driver, who was alone in the car, was issued tickets for distracted driving and failing to provide a valid insurance card. He was driving approximately 110 kilometres per hour.

“He was apologetic,” Graw said of the driver. “He said he was just listening to the video, but it was propped on his dash and the officer could see the video playing from quite a ways back.”

On Saturday night, RCMP were not recommending travel on long stretches of the highway due to blowing snow and icy conditions.

“Unfortunately, our officers see this kind of driver behaviour on Highway 2 far more often than we would like,” Graw said. “This is the third time in recent memory that our officers have caught drivers watching video while behind the wheel, and in this particular case, in the middle of a snowstorm.”

Distracted driving contributes to roughly 30 per cent of fatal collisions in Alberta, Graw added.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...312/story.html

It's not enough to just watch TV while driving but gotta do it during a snowstorm. The fines need to be increased and demerits issued.

WTF is wrong with people?

C2E Super Addict

here's the latest dummy.

EDMONTON - A 28-year-old Edmonton man was caught driving on a highway in a snowstorm while watching television on a laptop balanced on the dash of his car Saturday night.

The man was headed south in a red Volkswagen Golf on the Queen Elizabeth II Highway near Carstairs about 8:30 Saturday night when other drivers noticed his “irregular driving pattern” as he swerved out of his lane.

Witnesses who passed the vehicle saw he was watching an episode of American comedy series Tosh.0, which often shows Internet videos depicting people performing dangerous stunts.

Officers from the Airdrie RCMP quickly found the vehicle.

“With the white ‘glow’ emanating from the windows of the vehicle, officers had no trouble locating it on the highway,” Acting Sheriff Sgt. Jason Graw said.

The driver, who was alone in the car, was issued tickets for distracted driving and failing to provide a valid insurance card. He was driving approximately 110 kilometres per hour.

“He was apologetic,” Graw said of the driver. “He said he was just listening to the video, but it was propped on his dash and the officer could see the video playing from quite a ways back.”

On Saturday night, RCMP were not recommending travel on long stretches of the highway due to blowing snow and icy conditions.

“Unfortunately, our officers see this kind of driver behaviour on Highway 2 far more often than we would like,” Graw said. “This is the third time in recent memory that our officers have caught drivers watching video while behind the wheel, and in this particular case, in the middle of a snowstorm.”

Distracted driving contributes to roughly 30 per cent of fatal collisions in Alberta, Graw added.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...312/story.html

It's not enough to just watch TV while driving but gotta do it during a snowstorm. The fines need to be increased and demerits issued.

If the attending officer was to just shoot the guy dead in a case like this, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be the only one lining up to sign the petition to award that cop a medal for services to humanity.
    Last edited by expat; 06-01-2014 at 02:12 AM.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

here's the latest dummy:

Over the holidays we drove out to BC, on Hwy 16 past Hinton one lady driving a Yukon alone at night, in a snow storm watching Star Wars on her iPad/tablet. She had it propped-up on the dash right behind her steering wheel. When I passed her (she was driving dangerously slow) my wife could see light sabres on the screen . . . what an !diot.

There is a law "Driving without due care and attention" which rarely seems to be enforced these days, and why did they need a complimentary law "Distracted driving" which virtually has no teeth. Driving without due care and attention has some bite, a fine of $402 and up-to six demerit points . . . use it.

here's the latest dummy:

There is a law "Driving without due care and attention" which rarely seems to be enforced these days, and why did they need a complimentary law "Distracted driving" which virtually has no teeth. Driving without due care and attention has some bite, a fine of $402 and up-to six demerit points . . . use it.

Yeah, this is what people need to be ticketed with. In this day and age of all the people driving around without due care and attention, I'm horrified to know that there is a law with some bite but like you said, rarely used.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    If the attending officer was to just shoot the guy dead in a case like this, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be the only one lining up to sign the petition to award that cop a medal for services to humanity.
    Heck, I would be starting a fund drive to buy the officer more bullets...

...he was watching an episode of American comedy series Tosh.0, which often shows Internet videos depicting people performing dangerous stunts...
    Couldn't he just point his rearview mirror at himself?

Man guilty in road rage incident fined, jailed

EDMONTON - A man police publicly accused of being a serial road-rager was given 30 days in jail and a $500 fine for threatening a fellow driver and throwing water bottles at him.

Justin Timothy Mack, 25, pleaded guilty Wednesday to careless driving and mischief in a provincial courtroom Wednesday.

Court heard that in April 2013, Mack became enraged at a fellow driver on Terwillegar Drive. The targeted driver heard a “thunk, thunk, thunk” and realized Mack was throwing full water bottles at his vehicle, Crown prosecutor Adam Garrett said.
    The man tried to speed away, but Mack followed in his GMC Yukon.

“He sped up, so Mack sped up,” Garrett said. “He slowed down, so Mack slowed down.”

At a red light, Mack caught up with the driver, rolled down his window and said, “I will find you.”

The other driver then called police. He took a picture of the Yukon’s licence plate before Mack sped away.

Mack was arrested July 31. That same day, his vehicle was seized by police who claimed that Mack was a danger to other drivers. Police later held a press conference to announce they’d seized Mack’s vehicle, but withheld his name. According to court affidavits filed by police in support of the seizure, Mack had allegedly been involved in eight other reported road-rage incidents dating to 2005.

On Wednesday, 12 other charges against Mack ­— including dangerous driving, assault and criminal harassment ­— were dropped when he entered his two guilty pleas. Mack walked out of court because he has already served his 30-day jail sentence in pre-trial custody.

The unprecedented seizure of Mack’s vehicle was done in consultation with the Alberta Justice civil forfeiture office under the Victims Restitution and Compensation Payment Act of Alberta. The legislation allows the province to seize money and property which it believes to be the proceeds or instruments of crime.

The law has previously been used to seize vehicles in more than 400 drug-related cases, but never before in connection with a road-rage investigation.

Mack’s vehicle was eventually sold at auction by the province with the proceeds going to the lender Mack owed money to, Alberta Justice spokeswoman Michelle Davio said.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...108/story.html

I wonder if he's the same tough guy when he's not behind the wheel and comfort of his little mobile fortress? Personally, I think he should have got more time, banned for 10 years of driving and a much higher fine than $500.00. Oh well, at least they auctioned his vehicle off, that hits him in the pocket pretty good too.

Perhaps he'll think twice now before he drives around terrorizing people on our streets.

Interesting...

BBC News - Japanese cyclist to pay 47m yen ($459,000) over fatal crash

"Unlike in earlier criminal proceedings, the court gave our case the same treatment as it would a car accident," the son of the victim, Mitsuhiro Azuma, said on Tuesday."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25960387

Well, bikes are vehicles, subject to the same rules of the road - or sidewalk.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Continued Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Well, bikes are vehicles, subject to the same rules of the road - or sidewalk.
    Try explaining this to some of those 2 wheelers here.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

This weeks dummy.

Drugs, cash seized after man stopped for distracted driving

EDMONTON - Police officers conducting a vehicle stop for distracted driving Tuesday night seized a significant amount of drugs, including 28 litres of the date-rape drug GHB stored in jerry cans, police said Thursday.

Officers with the Specialized Traffic Apprehension Team were in a marked police car about 8:30 p.m., Feb. 18, in the city’s west end, in the area of 90th Avenue and 175th Street, when they noticed a driver texting on an iPod while stopped at a red light.

The officers stopped the vehicle, a 2004 BMW X5, and noticed the smell of fresh marijuana coming from the vehicle. They determined the driver was the registered owner of the vehicle and was under a judicial recognizance order prohibiting him from possessing a cellphone or hand-held device.

Sgt. Bill Krull said such a court order generally accompanies previous drug charges. Krull said the driver is known to police and has previously faced drug-trafficking charges.

In the vehicle, Officers discovered three 10-litre jerry can containers filled with date-rape drug gamma-hydroxybutyric acid (GHB), 756 grams of marijuana and about $1,000 in cash.

Police arrested and charged the driver. They also seized the SUV under the Victims Restitution and Compensation Payment Act of Alberta, legislation that allows the province to seize money and property believed to be the proceeds or instruments of crime.

Krull said the GHB seized has a street value of about $43,000, while the marijuana is worth about $11,300.

Krull said GHB, an odourless and tasteless liquid, is becoming more common in Edmonton.

“We’ve certainly seen an increase in the amount of GHB that’s we’re recovering,” Krull said. “It’s concerning.”

Ryan David Getschel, 31, has been charged with two counts of possession for the purposes of trafficking, possession of proceeds of crime, use of a hand-held electronic device and three counts of breach of recognizance.

Police say in 2013 the specialized team was responsible for about 991 arrests, 1,085 criminal charges, 1,303 warrant executions, 15,336 tickets, recovery of 31 stolen vehicles and other property, and the seizures of 30 weapons, 621 vehicles, and $261,000 in cash and drugs.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...081/story.html

These particular dummies are my favourites.

1. Transport thousands of dollars of illegal drugs in your vehicle.
    2. Have "smartphone" in hand and text at every possible opportunity.
    3. Oh look! The police have pulled up beside you! But you're too busy texting to notice!
    4. "What drugs, officer?" as the smell of marijuana permeates the air.
    5. Busted!

It's really wild just how addicted some people are to these stupid things.

This weeks dummy
    Too right, if a person chooses to break the law, only break one law at a time.

So, as I've done a few times in the past, I like to see just how engaged a dummy is with his or her dummyphone. Today, I pulled up to a red light and gave a quick glance to the guy beside me in the next vehicle, naturally he had his phone up at window height and was texting something like mad. I gave my horn a quick tap to see if he would put the phone down for a second and look around, you know, because usually a horn tap signifies something that has occurred on the road, a drastic changing condition or could even be life threatening.

Nope, nothing. Like the others some months ago when I did this horn tap test, the dummies are so engaged in what they're doing with that phone that the horn doesn't get their attention, whatsoever. It's unreal. And these zombies are driving machines that can kill.

In the last few years, statistics have been getting released about the likelihood and collisions rates of distracted dummies. It's not looking good, a large percentage of collisions are because of distraction - but the good news is that because of this newer information I believe the penalties will be increased within 2 or 3 years. We can only hope.

It's unreal. And these zombies are driving machines that can kill. In the last few years, statistics have been getting released about the likelihood and collisions rates of distracted dummies. It's not looking good, a large percentage of collisions are because of distraction - but the good news is that because of this newer information I believe the penalties will be increased within 2 or 3 years. We can only hope.
    You're right it's a very large percentage. And hands-free is a band-aid at best. These clowns are worse than drunks behind the wheel because there are so many of them at anytime of the day or night. At least with drunks the majority are out in the late evening, early morning hours.

A few years back I was behind a truck and the driver rear tyre was flat as a pancake. I pulled up beside the truck at the light and tapped the horn a few times, the lady did not look over she was preoccupied with something in her lap. I laid on the horn a bit more and without looking over she flips the bird. My wife exits our truck and taps on her window pointing to the tyre, she puts down the phone and said "WTF is your problem". My wife told her the tyre was flat, her reply "who TF cares" and "why don't you call the FK-ing cops" which we did after she speeds off sparks flying, hoping we couldn't see the plate. Situations like that I wish my sister-in-law who has a badge was riding along with us.
    Last edited by Frank Wilson; 22-02-2014 at 06:43 PM.

A few years back I was behind a truck and the driver rear tyre was flat as a pancake. I pulled up beside the truck at the light and tapped the horn a few times, the lady did not look over she was preoccupied with something in her lap. I laid on the horn a bit more and without looking over she flips the bird. My wife exits our truck and taps on her window pointing to the tyre, she puts down the phone and said "WTF is your problem". My wife told her the tyre was flat, her reply "who TF cares" and "why don't you call the FK-ing cops" which we did after she speeds off sparks flying, hoping we couldn't see the plate. Situations like that I wish my sister-in-law who has a badge was riding along with us.
    Wow. That's just wow.

Wow. That's just wow.
    Definitely a rageaholic, fortunatley the odds of encouter are likely 1 in 20,000 or greater. Simply rude, an adult acting like a 3 or 4 year old.

Wow. That's just wow.
    This stuff deserves a thread of its own.

In the last 5 - 6 months I've seen a number of drivers (4or 5 at least) obliviously driving along with rear ends bouncing along due failed rear shocks. All kinds of near flat tires too. In the past I've tried the short honk thing but people won't look up or around? Everyone's on drugs these days.

As for distracted driving and texting, if someone texts, and the other end texts back - why not just phone and talk to them. It's got to be far less distracting. Bizarre.

Need a smartphone app that kicks in and just auto dials local calls if a return text appears within 5 minutes.
    Last edited by KC; 23-02-2014 at 09:43 AM.

You're under the assumption they're only texting with a single person

C2E Long Term Contributor

Who says they're even texting? They could be playing that Flappy Bird game behind the wheel and causing others drivers to flippy bird
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    This stuff deserves a thread of its own.

In the last 5 - 6 months I've seen a number of drivers (4or 5 at least) obliviously driving along with rear ends bouncing along due failed rear shocks. All kinds of near flat tires too. In the past I've tried the short honk thing but people won't look up or around? Everyone's on drugs these days.
    You also see trucks with loose loads and other obvious vehicle violations and wonder "where is a cop when you need them?" A couple of examples was a muffler dragging under a pickup that you could see and hear, and another was a 5 ton flatbed with a pallet that had the stretch wrap trailing behind 25 feet. Then a cop comes along at the intersection and stops with the wind blowing the plastic wrap right onto the police car's windshield. In both case the cops are totally oblivious to the infractions as just drive on.

^ I'll tell you where the cops are, like the super-sleuth doofus who pulled me over on the QEII. Oh, nothing so dangerous as any of the above listed infractions. Just a partially obscured rear number plate that criminal me had missed with a poorly executed swipe of the snowbrush. May his next steaming hot Timmys spill all over his genitals. Prat.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Just a partially obscured rear number plate that criminal me had missed with a poorly executed swipe of the snowbrush.
    The same thing happened to me with a provincial sheriff the week before Christmas, the bottom quarter of my last digit was obscured by snow, even though any person with reasonable eyesight could easily determine it was the number 5; however, if there was a speed or red light photo then it could not be processed; void.

You guys must not have been driving a BMW, Audi or Mercedes. I never see those vehicles pulled over.

I think people are getting stupider and more lazy by the minute.

On Sunday at 7:30 am in our quiet neighbourhood, this car pulls up in front of house and honks the horn. As I was just starting to take the dog out for a walk, the person honks the horn again impatiently waiting for someone. As I pass the car the person honks a third and longer time. I go over and tap on the driver's window expecting to see some teenager who has not learned their civil manners yet. The woman inside was about 65 and stated that she forgot her cell phone. I shot back stating that she should realize that people are asleep and that the house has a doorbell. She got out and did just that.

The next morning, guess who was honking their horn again?

Some days you just wish you had a sledgehammer with you...

Just a partially obscured rear number plate that criminal me had missed with a poorly executed swipe of the snowbrush.
    The same thing happened to me with a provincial sheriff the week before Christmas, the bottom quarter of my last digit was obscured by snow, even though any person with reasonable eyesight could easily determine it was the number 5; however, if there was a speed or red light photo then it could not be processed; void.
    When you aim to fully automate systems (photo minders, etc.) you still need a few human enablers, greeters and the like to keep the system going.

Like the bank teller that shows you how to use a bank machine/ATM.
    Last edited by KC; 25-02-2014 at 11:20 AM.

You guys must not have been driving a BMW, Audi or Mercedes. I never see those vehicles pulled over.
    That's funny and seems to be somewhat true. I was simply driving my old Toyota 4 x 4 with the big winch on the front.

This week's dummy.

Man caught driving with "club" on his steering wheel

A Fort McMurray man who was stopped on Wednesday after his car was seen speeding and swerving on Highway 63 had a “Club” anti-theft device locked on his steering wheel, RCMP said.

Witnesses told police that his erratic driving nearly caused a head-on crash.
    When the man was stopped near Boyle, police initially thought he was driving a stolen vehicle. However, they soon were able to determine that he was the registered owner.

So then the officer tried to get the man to explain why he had the device on his steering wheel.

"[He] explained that he had difficulty taking the club off before but when requested to take it off by the member, it was taken off without a problem," said RCMP Cpl. John Spaans.

"He wasn't uncooperative but disagreed that having this club on the steering wheel was unsafe."

The 27-year-old was charged with two offences under the Traffic Safety Act: careless driving and allowing an object to impede the safe operation of a motor vehicle.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...heel-1.2564005
    Last edited by Kitlope; 07-03-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Most have probably seen this one by now. Sheesh.
    http://globalnews.ca/news/1192849/da...in-popularity/

What's odd though, is that the driver of the dashcam vehicle appears to swerve left towards the cellphone driver instead of swerving to the right to maximise the chance of missing the other vehicle. Still, in the split second involved, I don't think you can say which way you'd make a move.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

But where do you buy a dash cam? Futureshop and other electronic stores only have GoPros, others have backup cams but no one seams to carry dash cams. You can buy them on the web but I would like to look in person at different models.

I wish I had one last month when I was in Savannah Georgia. I was in the port area and a dump truck passed me at about 75 km/h in a 60 zone and then this rig pulling a 53 ft trailer pulls out of a side road from the right without stopping right in front of the dump truck. The dump truck was helpless to stop and I thought the dump truck was going to t-bone the rig at speed but he swerved at the left in the intersection and jogged into the oncoming traffic lanes separated with a grassy median like a skilled race car driver. I was amazed that the dump truck did not flip. Most amazing bit of defensive driving I have witnessed in some time.

But where do you buy a dash cam? Futureshop and other electronic stores only have GoPros, others have backup cams but no one seams to carry dash cams. You can buy them on the web but I would like to look in person at different models.
    Memory Express has four different dashcams/ car DVRs in their Camcorder category. They range in price from $199 to $249.

When I buy a newer car in the next couple years a dash cam will be getting installed.

Seeing rpeorts on Twitter that fines for distracted driving will be increased to $1000 plus three demerit points.

Great news.

Actually, are you sure this is for Alberta? Seems Ontario is planning for increased fines and demerits.

Ontario seeks tougher penalties for distracted drivers

The Ontario government wants to set higher fines for distracted drivers in a bid to make the province’s roads safer for pedestrians, cyclists and other motorists.

Under proposed legislation, Ontario would see drivers receive three demerit points on conviction for a distracted driving offence, while also allowing judges to fine an offender between $300 and $1,000. (That's up from a current fine range of $60 to $500.)

The government would also like to make distracted driving an offence that is contrary to the conditions that new drivers must adhere to.

The Ontario Provincial Police recently called distracted driving "the number one killer on roads" in the province.

Transportation Minister Glen Murray said the government had consulted with police, the Canadian Automobile Association and other stakeholders before bringing the proposed legislation forward.

Parts of several private members bills have been incorporated into the legislation.

"This is an all-party bill and I hope it will quickly gain the confidence of this house," he said.

Because of the Liberals’ minority position in the legislature, the government would need the assistance of at least one other party in order to pass the proposed legislation.

The same proposed legislation would allow judges to impose fines of $300 to $1,000 in cases where a so-called dooring occurs — when a cyclist is struck by the door of a vehicle. In this case, a person convicted of this offence would receive three demerit points.

The province would also like to see drivers leave at least one metre of space when passing a cyclist.

Drivers would also have to yield the entire roadway to people crossing the road at pedestrian and school crossings. The province would also like to pave the way for new types of pedestrian-crossing devices to be installed on low-speed and low-volume roads.

The province also wants to introduce changes related to impaired driving, so that drivers who "repeatedly" drive with an elevated blood-alcohol level would be forced to complete an education program and participate in an alcohol treatment and monitoring program.

The government is also seeking to extend a program that allows drivers to serve a reduced licence suspension with the installation of an interlock ignition device.

Another part of the proposed legislation is aimed at providing greater clarity on the medical conditions that would prohibit individuals from driving. But the government would also like to allow drivers with medical suspensions to hang on to their driver’s licences for identification purposes, or for when they can drive again.

There are also proposed changes relating to truck, bus and vehicle safety, including a requirement that drivers slow down and move over for tow trucks responding to collisions — just as drivers are required to pull over for emergency vehicles at present.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...vers-1.2576075

Hopefully we're not waiting too long in Alberta for some changes...

In New York state, three texting offences and they take your licence. Still see people texting while driving on busy streets. I doubt that higher fines in Alberta will change anything. People just ignore the law.

I was a passenger with a buddy that was driving on Friday on the way out to Ministik for some winter camping, mostly on Hwy 14 and then south on Range Road 204. I've never been in the same vehicle with the guy before and I've never seen anyone drive so distracted in all my life. Playing around with his GPS, his phone, texting, fiddling with the radio... and because of all this he swerved into oncoming traffic lane twice, drove unpredictably, would slow down for no apparent reasons then speed up... it was brutal. We even had a semi tailgating us which upset him to no end but because he was speeding up and slowing down, without even realizing it, I can't really blame the truck driver for the brief tailgating as it was more buddy's fault than the semi's.

I didn't feel like getting into an argument with him on his shi.tty & distracted driving and the safety issues with it, especially since I was going to be spending the next 24 hours with him in the bush so I kept my mouth shut. But I'll never go with him again and I'm thinking the two collisions he had a few months ago that were "the other guy's fault" is a load of BS.
    Last edited by Kitlope; 17-03-2014 at 09:15 PM.

Actually, are you sure this is for Alberta? Seems Ontario is planning for increased fines and demerits.
    Actually I assumed Alberta, but I saw on CTV News this evening it's Ontario and not being considered for Alberta.

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    Actually I assumed Alberta, but I saw on CTV News this evening it's Ontario and not being considered for Alberta.
    That's really too bad. It is though just a matter of time, especially now that there's some statistics about distracted driving and how it's turning into the Number One killer on the roads.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitche...oads-1.2557892

I didn't feel like getting into an argument with him on his shi.tty & distracted driving and the safety issues with it, especially since I was going to be spending the next 24 hours with him in the bush so I kept my mouth shut. But I'll never go with him again and I'm thinking the two collisions he had a few months ago that were "the other guy's fault" is a load of BS.
    If your buddy was driving drunk would you let him?
    Would you let a stranger drive drunk?

If he is truly your friend, then you would speak up because innocent peoples lives are at stake. Maybe the life you will save, may be a child riding a bike.

Think about it.

If your buddy was driving drunk would you let him?
    Would you let a stranger drive drunk?

If he is truly your friend, then you would speak up because innocent peoples lives are at stake. Maybe the life you will save, may be a child riding a bike.

Think about it.
    I knew it wouldn't be long until someone posted something because I didn't wrestle the steering wheel from his hands.

Yeah, I'm going to change his lousy driving habits after him driving for 25 years with a 5 minute conversation.

Think about it.

So sad that you feel that you are powerless.

Real friend don't let their friends drive drunk (or distracted)

May you never have to live with the regret that you did not speak up till after he crosses the centerline and has a head on crash.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 17-03-2014 at 11:18 PM.

I wish I wasn't but as I get to know him (we met through work last year and just started hanging out a bit) it would have just erupted into a nasty argument. Let's face it - how many people like being told they're wrong or lousy at doing something? Look no further than these forums for a sort of real world example.

And then I was going to spend the next 18 hours, just him and I, in the bush camping after insulting his driving. Yeah, that would have been an awesome 18 hours.

It wasn't worth the misery for saying something that wasn't going to make a difference. But don't kid yourself - because I'm home I'll be mentioning something to him next time he comes by, if he doesn't like what I have to say he can leave, I really don't care. Like I already said, it's not going to change him. I chose not to do it while he was driving because quite frankly it would have completely ruined the trip.

Sometimes, in the real world, you need to keep the yam shut, even if you don't want to.

May you never have to live with the regret that you did not speak up till after he crosses the centerline and has a head on crash.
    Don't make me out to be the bad guy - I'm not the one driving distracted. He makes his own decisions in his life, as wrong as they are. And I simply can't stop what he decides to do.

Do you live in some sort of fantasy world?

Do you believe in personal responsibility? Or are you one of those that go through life casting blame on everyone around you?

I chose not to do it while he was driving because quite frankly it would have completely ruined the trip.
    No. This is a completely ruined trip due to texting.

Do you live in some sort of fantasy world?
    No. Why don't you read the statistics.
    http://www.textinganddrivingsafety.c...driving-stats/[/QUOTE]

Do you believe in personal responsibility? Or are you one of those that go through life casting blame on everyone around you?
    I am not casting blame on anyone. Being a good friend and a responsible citizen are called ethics. There is a law in Alberta and just because he does not get caught does in no way make it OK.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 18-03-2014 at 07:43 AM.

This public service commercial should be shown to every person applying for a licence and when they renew their registration.

You've obviously never dealt with somebody with an addiction problem.

And I'm done with you. Don't be telling me what I should and shouldn't be doing - if I wanted advice I would have asked for it.

edit: took out personal attack.
    Last edited by Kitlope; 18-03-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Here, I'll throw it right back at you.

Everytime you see somebody drive distracted do you take action? Do you walk up and knock on their window and tell them they're endangering lives? You better because going by your logic it's ethically correct to let everybody know that what they're doing is wrong and unsafe. You better get on it! Start telling the masses that what they're doing isn't right! Go change the world, PRT!

Or does the thought cross your mind that it's somebody else's bad habit and in the real world and unless they want to change it, they're not going to.

Just because he's a buddy of mine doesn't mean I can control what he does. And I don't need your video's and statistics as I'm well aware of it all. You're forgetting who started this thread.

I can't change the world.

Why are you blaming me?

edit: took out personal attack.
    Last edited by Kitlope; 18-03-2014 at 02:23 PM.

And are you completely stupid?
    I am not the one who rides shotgun to a distracted driver....

Boy, you sure have anger issues.

It could be a $1,000 or a $10,000 fine, nothing's going to change. The "I won't get caught" mode kicks in. And it's so hard to actually police DD to any great effect, outside of the snitch mentality that's pervading society now. We're fast becoming a world of tittle-tattlers. In the end, is that what we all really want? As Kitlope alludes, we can't all be our brother's keeper.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

And are you completely stupid?
    I am not the one who rides shotgun to a distracted driver....

Boy, you sure have anger issues.

How am I supposed to know that he's a distracted driver until we actually drive for some time into the trip? Like I said in an earlier post, I never ridden with him before. Now you're asking me to use ESP to foresee into the future, which I possibly cannot do.

And no, I generally don't have anger issues but your nonsense posts, rhetoric and holier than thou attitude really upset me. However, I apologize for being nasty.

I'll admit I'm not much of a morning guy

As Kitlope alludes, we can't all be our brother's keeper.
    Thank you Howie. As much as I wish I could change my buddy and everyone else out there from driving distracted, I know it's simply not possible. And these days we're all educated about the dangers with TV ads, radio, on the news, online... etc and it still doesn't stop people. It's out of yours and mine control, except for the person making the conscience choice to drive distracted. That's the ONLY person that can make the decision.

However, with my 16 year old daughter I started talking about the issue with her and even her friends a few years ago. I even showed her that graphic video from the UK. She hasn't started driving yet and with parenting and education I'm hoping she never picks up her phone while driving.

Thanks for the apology.

It is a difficult issue and too many people ignore the danger and drive 80km/hr in a 100km/h zone while texting rather than pulling over if it is so much more important than paying attention to driving. We need to have better education out there and much more enforcement. I have actually written and participated with the EPS on several occasions about the importance of proactive policing and putting more police on the street.

That's another thing about pulling over before making their phone calls - nobody seems to have any time now, gotta keep moving. The odd thing is, by continuing to phone or text while driving, they're upping their chances of losing that which they're trying to save, time. Go figure.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast