Thread: When did Canada Post get so bad?

Default When did Canada Post get so bad?

Scenario:

I purchased brake parts for my car in the US (OEM or better parts, at about 1/3 the cost of local dealership), and had them sent via USPS / Canada Post.

Within five days of being sent, all three items clear customs in Quebec on December 6.

A delivery attempt is made on December 8 (I'm impressed...two days from QC to AB!!!).

I pick up the boxes on December 9, to find that there are only two. Where's the third box?

Canada Post's online tracking shows no additional information since being listed as clearing customs.

Phoning Canada Post on December 10, they wouldn't take my inquiry -- stating that USPS would have to initiate a trace. Contacting the retailer, and through them, USPS, we have to wait 10 business days. That was yesterday. (Hoping for better results via that method.)

Today I decide to phone Canada Post once again. I got a very nice and eager to please woman on the phone, who actually spent a lot more time with me than the guy during my first call. She looked up all three tracking numbers, and did agree that something's amiss, as the information listed is that all three items CLEARED customs (in the case of the missing box, at 0846hrs) on December 6. She put me on hold to speak with a manager, and her response floored me.

Get this...it can take up to 75 days to have a parcel shipped through Canada Post originating from the US, and until that time has elapsed, they are unable to do anything for me.

When did parcel service get that bad?

And no, there's nothing of questionable content (she went through a long list when I balked at her response) in the box...in fact she had no answer for me when I stated that Box 1 (the missing box) has the exact same contents as Box 2 (two brake rotors, a front and a rear) which was delivered.

I am simply gobsmacked that Canada Post's service has gotten so bad. To date, I've never had any package take more time than forecast, nor had one go awry. Makes me think I will go back to UPS...as much as I hate them.

Grrrrrr.

...and, the Canada Post Ombudsman won't do anything, as without a Canada Post case file, which they won't give me until 2-1/2 months have gone by, I can't make an official complaint.

Much of this smacks in the face of the Canada Post charter.

Have they ever been good? Expensive, slow, and not a week goes by that I don't get someone else's mail in my mailbox. But that's only when they're not on strike.

I'd rather C2E than work!

New corporate merger soon to be announced due to mutual corporate culture synchronicity
    "Air Canada Post"
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Yup Canada Post is all but dead.

I really dont know why postal service cannot be a private venture. In todays day and age it doesnt seem like a crucial service.
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

Sent two large boxes of glass Christmas ornaments to Montreal. Got there without a single thing broken and in only four days, standard delivery. My daughter broke three ornaments when she unpacked them.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Canada Post, very expensive for mediocre service.

The "Air Canada Post" comment was pure gold.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

When were they ever good????

no guarantee this will not happen with private service. The problem isn't CP, its the fact that it's a corporation.

^Not really. If it is privatized, it will be open to competition. For example, if they allowed the current couriers into the mix, we will be able to choose between Fedex, UPS, Purolator, DHL, etc. Unless they all collude in price fixing and bad service, it should regulate itself pretty well.

Prior to this, I really haven't had any cause to complain about CP...they've always handled parcels very well. And, compared with the hateful courier companies, who charge massive brokerage fees for...well, do we really know why?, Canada Post's paltry $5.00 to $8.50 handling fees are wonderful.

But to simply lose a box is not acceptable, and then to wave the 75day time period in my face before they'll even assign it a case file is atrocious...

C2E Continued Contributor

Similar to CN Rail, Canada Post may head to full privatization...
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Actually it should be Air Canada Post Broadcasting Corporation

As a former employee of Canada Post (10 years ago) (not CUPW or the former LCUC) there were some interesting clauses in the collective agreement. The most interesting was "there shall be no individual work measurement". This meant if an employee came to work on time, took lunch on time, left on time and didn't sort a single letter he couldn't be disciplined or fired. I'm not sure if this clause has been removed. Most of the people who were eventually fired were people who abused the sick days (15 a year) by taking them on Fridays or Mondays.

As the sick days were cumulative you could build up quite a bank of them by the time you retired, but if you needed a heart bypass it would be quite beneficial. One person who used all his 15 days a year every year (you couldn't be disciplined for that) went skiing and broke 3 of 4 limbs and because he used up his sick days he had to work.

As for delivery standards back when I was there they only applied to Canadian mail and there was no standards for delivering internationally. However the only time something was delayed for long periods of time in the Edmonton Plants were when letters would fall into the machinery or by other parties.

An example of a delay that happened was some packages of fish were being shipped from Newfoundland to Ft McMurray, during the winter as the fish was originally frozen and trucks aren't heat and most airplane holds aren't heated this works out quite well the fish stays frozen. However our illustrious national air carrier misplaced the pallet of boxes at a Toronto hangar for a few months. By the time it got to Edmonton it was very ripe, they put tons of shrink wrap around the boxes to try to contain the smell and left it on the loading docks with doors open and sent it off to Ft Mc. This is mail they had to deliver it. Air Canada did apologize for the delay.

After quite a few years of bureaucracy I decided enough was enough and quit. I still have some friends there and do see them now and again.

I use to talk to my mailman who worked at CP for 20+ years. He said that he usually able to deliver his "daily load" of mail in 3-4 hours (weather permitting). And for 20 years, he's basically been working part-time hours for full-time pay. Pretty sweet deal.

I mailed a letter from Hong Kong to Edmonton recently and it cost roughly 40 cents Canadian. That is to mail a letter from halfway around the world to Canada. Yet, in Canada, it costs 59 cents to mail a letter across the street. Makes no sense.

Actually the Letter Carriers have an acceptable shortcut. When designing the routes they have to plan for the letter carrier to walk on sidewalks to the door then down the sidewalk to the next house. This is done on a certain percentage of houses who typically will get mail on any given day, if neighbors allow the carrier to shortcut along the lawns, they can, this reduces the walking quite a bit.

As long as they apologized. But of course, business as usual make sure they provide good service

I have no gripes against Canada Post nor Air Canada with regard to mail delivery. We`ve been mailing letters, cards, parcels, etc. back and forth across the Atlantic for the past 30 years. Letters, etc. have been reliably delivered within five days, parcels taking a little longer. Happy customer here.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I agree Canada Post has been reliable over the decades I have used it for letters of all sizes and parcels. Canadian National the same, plus CN is much bigger and more profitable then Can Pacific Rail.....few investment advisors recommend CP.....so little chance of CN being privatized unless we get some americanized and easily intimidated Federal Government in place like Lian Brian Bullroney or the like. Part of the reason Canada Post costs more is the size of Canada and the number of rural post offices.....UPS etc. do not deliver to these rural locations, they just want to handle cities so they put this rural mail in Canada Post for delivery usually. I would be contacting the Ombudsman Office immediately with my written concerns such as MXV states with the parcel numbers, who you spoke to with the day and times specified. If that is not effective then contact one of the media consumer reporters to expose this situation. But my real concern is your brakes not working when u are behind me in traffic!!
    Time will tell on this new Alberta Government.

The Good
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Sent two large boxes of glass Christmas ornaments to Montreal. Got there without a single thing broken and in only four days, standard delivery. My daughter broke three ornaments when she unpacked them.
    The Bad
    I sent an expensive item to the USA by Post and paid for tracking. What they did not tell me was the tracking stops once it crosses the border.

The Nice
    One thing that UPS and other couriers do not do that Canada Post does at this time is, deliver to your door on Sunday. I noticed several homes getting parcels this morning & afternoon.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Addicted to C2E

I don't have too many problems with Canada Post but their ExpressPost service could be better. The tracking system can be quiteunpredictable, to be frank.Sometimes I feel that postal services are a dying thing in the internet era........so let's be thankful it still exists. Would cost too much to send every official document through UPS or FEDEX.
    No major complaints regarding Air Canada though

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I sent an expensive item to the USA by Post and paid for tracking. What they did not tell me was the tracking stops once it crosses the border.

One thing that UPS and other couriers do not do that Canada Post does at this time is, deliver to your door on Sunday. I noticed several homes getting parcels this morning & afternoon.
    Canada post tracking does stop at the border, until it's successfully delivered; however, you can still track in the US via the USPS website.

Canada post, we've had packages arrive on Saturdays a few times and once on a Sunday, but this is not the norm and before the back-to-work order. After the order no more packages have arrived on the weekend.

Sit-Rep...

Well, one day shy of a month, and there's movement on the tracking form. Said box is now being sent to the Undeliverable Mail Depot, in can you believe it, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.

After waiting 20min on hold, I got through to a very helpful CP employee who's started (finally!) a case file on my box, and hopefully should re-direct it once processed back west.

The bad news? Well, as CP only has one Underliverable depot for Canada (there is another in Ontario that only deals with Ontario mail), it can take up to a MONTH for an item to be received, processed, and then sent back out of the bowels of that warehouse.

Compare that to a letter which I mailed on Tuesday, January 3 (first day back in operation after New Year's) to a friend in Victoria, BC. He had it on Wednesday, Jan 4.

Ugh.

Wow, Nova Scotia. It would make a lot more sense to have something like that somewhere in the middle of the country than in NS.

First One is Always Free

The next time anyone feels the need to complain about Canada Post think about this: Will you take the letter to it's destination for 55 cents or a parcel all the way to another country for $20?
    I post, therefore I am!

First One is Always Free

What many don't seem to realize is that Canada Post has a monopoly on letter delivery with few exceptions. The important exception is urgent delivery of letters where competition is legal but a minimum of three time the postal rate has to be charged. That is why FedEx and similar businesses are forced to deliver letters within a day or so at a higher cost than CP charges for snail mail.

Privatize Canada Post and open up postal services to competition. Overall costs go down and delivery times will improve dramatically as proved by EU countries and New Zealand.

They were never good in the first place... But I guess, to be fair, it's not the same for all the cities.

Canada Post's lettermail volumes have dropped 20% over the past 5 years, it is estimated up to 50% within 10 years.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle4103993/

They don't need to privatize Canada Post or really in a few years it will rarely be needed, with electronic bills and email their need is shrinking. Sure there will always be a bit of need to ship something cheap where money is more important then time.

I receive mail for my neighbours frequently. Sometimes a different house number on the same street, other times the same house number a street over. I've watched our carrier - a young girl balancing her cell phone between her ear and shoulder and a mittful of mail. I've also seen her drop the entire stack of mail on the sidewalk.
    I've not gotten credit cards or other important documents that people have had to resend and when I called Cda post and wanted to lodge this as a concern, I was given a reference number for my complaint and told I would be contacted within a couple working days. This was back in summer and no one ever contacted me. I've not bothered to follow up. I'm realizing that there may be no point.

We had a delivery for my wife go to the wrong address; we never ended up getting it back. Now we have the hassle of getting the online store to refund the purchase. The most frustrating thing is that the SHIPPER has to lodge a complaint with Canada Post, they just ignore the receiver.

We had another package (actually from the same online store) that went onto a delivery truck, then was shipped back to the sender the next day. They didn't attempt to deliver it, and the address was correct. The worst part is that this online store deals with one-time sale items, so there's no way for my wife to get the product for that price again.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Sweden deregulated their postal service some time ago, and now there's a few competitors, including Norway's nationalized postal service. If we deregulated our service, our proximity to the US would probably result in a number of competitors setting up shop quickly, and I expect service would go up.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

You can log misdeliveries here;
    https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/a...execution=e1s1

What I find annoying about Canada Post is their postal code lookup system, unfortunately this is based on their old antiquated IBM mainframe systems and essentially is reskinned with a web interface.
    https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/a...execution=e3s1

USPS' is much better, and this is what Canada Post should be doing.
    https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupA...0&refresh=true

sidebar
    This should make you go Hmmmm
    Why do you have to list a city and Province on your mail if the postal code is also on the envelope ?

Addicted to C2E

The day email replaced snail mail would be my educated guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    Why do you have to list a city and Province on your mail if the postal code is also on the envelope ?
    Redundancy, when the OCRs scan the letter they compare the address, city, province with the postal code. If it doesn't match up it is rejected and goes through a more manual process, people typing in the postal code or hand sorting.

Shocker - the package that was lost in October showed up on our steps the other day, nearly 2 months after it was lost. It was opened, and retaped (and appeared Sunday afternoon/night), so I'm guessing whoever had it decided to drop it off. Bizarre.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Thanks for posting that link Sundance. This week alone, I've received 4 pieces of mail for our neighbours.

Cpot there may not be an aptitude test that requires the "culpability" to read

The postal service broke records after delivering 50 million pieces of mail on Dec. 20 and over one million parcels on Dec. 13 within 24-hour periods.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...ks-record.html

Just started encountering a really big annoyance with receiving packages from Canada Post. Since I live in a condo, they aren't able to leave the package at my door if I'm not home (I asked them to do it over the door buzzer, but the postman refused). So they drop it off at the nearest postal outlet which is just down the block. Sounds pretty reasonable until you find out the damn post office is only open Monday to Friday, 8:30 to 5:00. I work during that time, so I basically need to take an hour off work to pick up each package which I've had to do 3 times this year so far.

There should be a minimum standard for operating hours (either open an hour early or close an hour late, just give the average joe an opportunity to get stuff outside work hours), even the banks have woken up to this. They simply should not be located in businesses that have such restrictive hours. I cannot choose where to pick up my package. I would almost call it ransom if they were benefitting from this, but it's simply terrible logistics. And it is costing me a lot of money (or vacation time) for something as simple as picking up a package.
    Last edited by bolo; 05-02-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Canada Post finds another way to fleese it's customers:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...747/story.html
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post

Couldn't disagree more. I think it's about time developers and residents be made to assume more of the costs of sprawl. Why should all of Canada Post's customers subsidize the cost of building new neighbourhoods when there is so much available land near the centre of the city?

It does seem a little silly to whine about $200 when you're talking about the price of a new house.

Can I decline the service??

I know people with geothermal heating that do not have gas service, and therefore did not have to pay the connection/instalaltion fees. A lot of people no longer need postal service, ebills and direct to home deliveries. An easy way to filter all that junk mail!!!

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Hmmm, interesting idea - declining service. I would love to know more about this if anyone has thoughts.

Doing some body work on my car, they asked if they could fax or mail me the invoice. I laughed and asked "is that a joke?" A fax machine? Really? I told him to go buy a scanner for $70 and then we could talk about sending me the invoice by email. It's 2013 people.

Hell, I can use a scanning app add signatures and run my entire finances from my iPhone without using a single sheet of paper if i really want to. I will take my business elsewhere if you're not willing to adapt. If I could find a way to get rid of Canada Post altogether, I would do it in a heartbeat.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieBoyinExile View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post

Couldn't disagree more. I think it's about time developers and residents be made to assume more of the costs of sprawl. Why should all of Canada Post's customers subsidize the cost of building new neighbourhoods when there is so much available land near the centre of the city?
    The cost of delivering mail door to door in older neighbourhoods likely costs Canada Post more money than delivering to super mail boxes in new neighbourhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
    Can I decline the service??
    This rings a bell, I think there's a law which states you cannot, essential service or something like that. I maybe wrong of course.

I'm gonna stick this moan in this thread as it seems relevant. I'm one of the lucky Edmontonians who have so called 'super mail box' delivery in my area. Now, just before Xmas I ordered two items from Amazon.ca I kept track of these items which were sent from China by their Chinese postal system which I have know doubt is one hell of a lot more efficient then ours. Anyway, items arrival date given as Jan. 20/2017. On Jan 19th. I looked on the tracking slip and it said item(s) had arrived at destination. Went to check my super mail box but no items in there. Now the package is probably a tad bigger than a Mr.Noodle packet but maybe about 4 ounces heavier so I imagine it would not have been classed as a parcel so it would not have been put in the parcel slot of the super mail box. To date the item(s) have still not arrived. I am beginning to think that the mail person put this in the wrong mail box and someone has just helped themselves. I have notified the seller but really, what can he do if it's been delivered to the wrong box and someone has taken it. Or, if I being positive about it maybe it was sent back to the original seller.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.