Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Imagery

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Default Google Imagery

im excited to see an update!!!
    all the AHD work including stony plain road, whitemud improvements, north lrt construction, and so much more DD

C2E Continued Contributor

Hmmm? Just the map right? The satellite images are still old...

I'd rather C2E than work!

NB Henday >EB 87 Ave is still wrong.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

C2E SME

Well at least the map shows the road to be there even if the pictures are a few years old.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

The Whitemud interchange and 87 avenue interchange ramps aren't updated. There are also a few ramps missing at St. Albert Trail and 97 street.

Quote Originally Posted by deedub35 View Post
    The Whitemud interchange and 87 avenue interchange ramps aren't updated. There are also a few ramps missing at St. Albert Trail and 97 street.

This is more accurate per 87 Ave interchanges.
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

The NW Leg of the Anthony Henday is now included when giving directions on Google Maps

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    The NW Leg of the Anthony Henday is now included when giving directions on Google Maps
    Now all they gotta do is get their cameras out to get pictures of the new stretch or roadway.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Google Maps is adding the birds eye view imagery to its satellite maps. Ottawa is the only Canadian city I'm aware of that has birds eye imagery at this time.

Considering the amount of traffic Google Maps generates, it's surprising that Google doesn't bother to update their satellite imagery (or neighbourhood level street maps) more often. Makes Google Maps useless to try to find someone who bought a new house in a new subdivision in the past 3 years or so.

Bing Maps (Microsoft) is even more outdated.

I noticed Spruce Grove and Stony Plain have new (2011 maybe) satellite images.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Now all they gotta do is get their cameras out to get pictures of the new stretch or roadway.
    I'd like to see them redo the whole city. In the summer instead of late March / early April.

The new map shows it, but is the interchange at 127 St. in the north end operational yet?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    The new map shows it, but is the interchange at 127 St. in the north end operational yet?
    It has been since opening day.

Thanks, deedub. I rarely get to the north end, and this will prove very handy when I'm up that way next week.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Parts of the deep south of Edmonton have new satellitle imagery.

We can finally see the new developments south of the Henday, the 23 Ave interchange and the SW LRT to Century Park.

I hope they update the whole city...

^Don't think it's been updated certainly not within the past year. If you zoom into the 23 Ave interchange you will see the west-bound bridge is completed, but the east-bound bridge is still under construction.

I'm guessing we'll know when Edmonton is updated when we get the new birds eye imagery. A bunch of US cities have it. The only Canadian city I've found that has it so far is Ottawa. Zoom in on Ottawa and then zoom in on Edmonton to notice the difference. You have to zoom in pretty close to see the full effect.

It has been updated. If you look on the northside, there is no sign of construction of the NW AHD, those images are at least 5-6 years old. These were the same images that used to be for the whole city. The new ones that they just put up on the south side are 1 or 2 years old, but still much more recent.

The picture on the top was the imagery Google used up to a few days ago, and below is the new imagery.

Good catch GreatestX. The "updated" photo is about 2 years old.

On the updated bottom photo, the eastbound 23 Avenue bridge is not open to traffic. You can see traffic going in both directions on the westbound bridge. According to the City, the eastbound bridge opened on September 5, 2010 (Source: http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...dges-open.aspx).

The bottom photo must have been taken earlier in the summer of 2010 which makes it about 2 years old. Better than 5 or 6 years old I suppose.

The rest of the city was updated from 6 years old to 2 years old. You can now see the NW AHD under construction.

Another oddity of the "updated" satellite map is that a large rectangular area north of the downtown (including my house) is now obscured by cloud. Wonder if I'll have to wait 4 years for the fog to lift.

^ I got an email notification saying they had updated images in my area. I see the cloud. WTF

Actually, I believe these images are from last summer. The Whitemud/17 interchange is shown under construction and that just started last year.

C2E Posting Power

I would email google and tell them about it. I did that with some work related projects, it took a few months, but they did get better imagery for the sites I showed were poor.

C2E Posting Power

Actually after looking at the new image that is a crazy amount of cloud cover. I'm sure they added the photo just because they "had it" and not that they paid for it from a third party. I would just go back on the timeline and use the previous photo until they get a better one. Would still email them though.

they are from last summer, Probably august. I had a inflatable pool in my back yard and it shows up. Is it just me, or is this new imagery a LOT poorer than before? everything seems more blurry. Not to mention the cloud cover.

Some of it is cloudy, north of 111 Ave is quite clear though

I saw a Google streetview car in Mayfield Common today.

the new imaging is much poorer quality and darker, and the clouds don't help.

You can't zoom in nearly as much as you used to and still have it be crystal clear, luckily google map has a report a problem button on the bottom of the map page...please use!

Not 100% related, but I am almost sure I saw what looked like a google street view car today, around U of A

Yes they've been around Edmonton for about a month now. I saw one near McNally at the beginning of May. Glad to know we'll have some updated spring/summer street views.

Administrator *

Noticed some of the map itself has been updated.

Edmonton finally has 45 degree views. The imagery is stunning!!

Very recent, check out the Pearl, looks like early September.

You can also see work on NE Anthony Henday

And North LRT...

...and still lots of partially-overcast imagery.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Zoom in further

C2E Long Term Contributor

Love the new downtown shots.

However, I'm looking in Google Maps...I'm still seeing NW AHD under construction, nothing for NE AHD.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Are you sure? This is what I can see...

Completed AHD/St. Albert Trail

NE AHD river crossing construction

Like GreatestX says, looks like early September 2012 imagery based on the leaves on the trees just starting to turn colour and recent construction projects including Jasper Avenue being all torn up.

And we have some short-term bragging rights over Calgary and Toronto neither of which has the 45 degree view yet.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    Like GreatestX says, looks like early September 2012 imagery based on the leaves on the trees just starting to turn colour and recent construction projects including Jasper Avenue being all torn up.

And we have some short-term bragging rights over Calgary and Toronto neither of which has the 45 degree view yet.
    Right now, it looks like Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg and Ottawa are the only major cities with 45 degree views.

As for the coverage, it looks like it's 41st Ave. SW to the south, just west of Winterburn Road to the west, the northernmost section of the Henday to the north and just east of Sherwood Drive to the east.

Hope no one was doing any nude rooftop tanning. lol

Hmmm....okay you're right GX, my mistake....however, I hope we don't have to zoom in so close just for the updated imagery for too long.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

And if you zoom even closer to the Epcor Tower, it's still a hole in the ground in the street view.

Eve

Zoom in further
    Yes I know how to zoom in Google Maps—had to check the angle imagery, very cool—but the cloud images are also still there at several levels of mangnification. Would't it be nice if they weren't?
    Last edited by Dialog; 19-11-2012 at 11:23 PM.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Wow, it seems a lot more clear at the higher zoom levels than it did before. A lot brighter too.

On another note--I was standing in my yard on Oct 6 when I saw the Google Street View car drive by, so I'd bet we'll see some of the Stree View imagery updated in the near future as well.

EDIT: Also, based on the vehicles in my driveway, I've concluded that this was taken prior to Sept 9.
    Last edited by azzey; 20-11-2012 at 09:13 AM.

C2E Posting Power

I didn't know we had a fleet of riverboats!
    http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...google.webcams

Quote Originally Posted by jmart81 View Post
    lol Just hope that power boat didn't run into the backside of #2.

This one of the Beverly CN bridge looks like there was a gigantic frost heave. Hope the VIA passengers don't mind the roller coaster bit.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?ll=53.57...google.webcams

you can also see Heartland transmission tower construction occurring along NE Henday and South Henday

http://maps.google.ca/maps?ll=53.613...google.webcams

Hilarious.

The 45 degree views are shot from airplanes, not satellites. I'm guessing a fair bit of photoshopping has to be done to tie the photos together (including airbrushing out rooftop nudes), but mistakes do happen.

Another oddity is that the south half of St. Albert has 45 degree views while the north half doesn't. Must suck to live in the burbs.

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    Hilarious.

The 45 degree views are shot from airplanes, not satellites. I'm guessing a fair bit of photoshopping has to be done to tie the photos together (including airbrushing out rooftop nudes), but mistakes do happen.

Another oddity is that the south half of St. Albert has 45 degree views while the north half doesn't. Must suck to live in the burbs.
    It would have been a mapping program that involves taking the overlapping air photos and stitching them together using common points between one photo to its neighbouring photo. It may have involved using numerous elevation points as well, although it's probably in a 2D format. Since there are a lot of overlapping photos that were required for this, it's no surprise some non-stationary objects would show in more than one photo if they were in motion but not moving too fast to avoid being missed by the aircraft's next pass.

As the Edmonton Queen was picked up 3 times in a east to west movement, we can tell that the aircraft was flying in a north/south flight path, with each path moving from east to west, and may have had a fair amount of photo overlap between one N/S flight path to the next. Of course, this is making an assumption that the photos were shot on the same day, as it seems to be no change in the amount of sunlight hitting the ground. The portion where it looks like there's 2 ships side by side may be that, instead of doing some straight stitch through one of the ships and showing it as being cut off, one of the Google mapping techs decided to stitch around one of them. I'd say 99.9% of the stitching is clean. But if one really wanders around, they'll find places that look a little weird.

The reason why parts of St. Albert and Sherwood Park are covered is that Google wanted to get all of Edmonton's urban coverage and the easiest flight path coverage would've been to cover a 4 sided area, decided by a predetermined latitude and longitude boundary, instead of cutting off portions by flying shorter paths or start photographing at different lats and longs.

Just had a look at Google Street View and saw that the new 2012 imagery has been uploaded.

Example (look for photo date on the lower left): https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll...12,136.81,,0,0

I wonder why the Street View car only made it halfway to Fort Mac and yet it managed to get all the way to Yellowknife?

Some of the highway imagery is still from 2009. Hopefully Google decided to redo a lot of the highways and add on to what's online. Eastern and Northern Alberta has a lot of empty areas. Would also hope to see more of the secondary highways photoed, paved or gravel. Some hidden gems down those seldom used roads.

Looks someone walked around Churchill taking pictures.

Also glad they went around the mansions in Sturgeon Valley

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I wonder why the Street View car only made it halfway to Fort Mac and yet it managed to get all the way to Yellowknife?
    Maybe it got into a collision on highway 63?

...too soon?

^ I thought it, haha.
    Maybe it got scared and turned around?

A very cool feature of this update is that there are now Street Views for the paths inside the U of A (and they were taken on a beautiful day!). Here's the new science building CCIS:
    https://maps.google.ca/maps?ll=53.52...6.77,,0,-14.74

The bus loop:
    https://maps.google.ca/maps?ll=53.52...111.91,,0,1.58

And if you're curious about how Google got these, here's a reflected image of the bike-mounted camera:
    https://maps.google.ca/maps?ll=53.52...,182.7,,2,5.09

^ That is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuahaun View Post
    And if you're curious about how Google got these, here's a reflected image of the bike-mounted camera:
    https://maps.google.ca/maps?ll=53.52...,182.7,,2,5.09
    They should put bells on it and sell ice cream sandwiches and frozen yogurt

They've also used the bike mounted cameras to image Cambridge bay.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...ridge-bay.html

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Google offers panoramic views of Edmonton facilities, parks
    Linda Hoang, CTV Edmonton

Edmontonians now have the option of checking out some familiar city landmarks from the comfort of their own home.
    Google has launched maps with enhanced, 360-degree panoramic Street View for several Edmonton facilities including City Hall, Churchill Square, the Muttart Conservatory and the Valley Zoo.
    “I think it’s something that can help build more awareness and appreciation and pride in Edmonton,” said Carol Hurst with the city.

Virtual visitors can watch zoo animals playing, stroll the city hall fountains or check out river valley trails and parks including Hawrelak Park and Louise McKinney Riverfront Park, using Google’s interactive, 360-degree Street View photos.
    It’s an option that can be used by locals and those planning on visiting the city.
    “It’s positive. It’s an option for everyone to use. If you’re local it’s a great way to go and explore your city online,” Hurst said.

“For people who may be planning a trip to Edmonton, it’s great too because it really gives you a sense of what city hall, what the river valley, what some of these places look like before you actually come here.”
    A Google mapping team captured the images in July, using a specially-equipped Google motorized tricycle and panoramic camera, but the feature went
    Edmonton was among a number of Canadian cities selected by Google in expanding its Street View mapping project and Hurst says the city was honoured to be chosen.

“We were thrilled when Google contacted us,” she said. “We’re thrilled about it because it’s another option, its another way for people to discover Edmonton and to explore Edmonton.”
    http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/google-of...arks-1.1060777

What about mapping Fort Edmonton and WEM?

Quote Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
    What about mapping Fort Edmonton and WEM?
    Fort Edmonton is done:
    https://maps.google.com/?ll=53.50069...11555571874885
    https://maps.google.com/?ll=53.50141...16451682129073

No WEM, though. As consolation, here's the Hawrelak foot bridge:
    https://maps.google.com/?ll=53.52292...77634454752933

Greaaaaaat, now the fact that I didn't get the patio in my backyard done this summer has been captured by Google. Now my wife can bug me about this until they update the images again in a few years.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Greaaaaaat, now the fact that I didn't get the patio in my backyard done this summer has been captured by Google. Now my wife can bug me about this until they update the images again in a few years.
    lol

I noticed that the Google Street View guys reshot the scene in front of Milla's Pub on 101 St. Instead of a drug deal between two reprobates, there's now an 18-wheeler parked out front for a beer delivery. Pics are dated April 2012.

Actually, looks like they did another sweep through downtown and Oliver back in April and May.

I just figured out that you can rotate the map and view the 45 degree aerial photos from other directions...doh...am I the only one who didn't already know that??

Quote Originally Posted by azzey View Post
    I just figured out that you can rotate the map and view the 45 degree aerial photos from other directions...doh...am I the only one who didn't already know that??
    If its any help, it was a few weeks before I noticed this.

The standard satellite imagery has been updated for parts of West Edmonton. Also, the cloud over Kingsway is gone.

The street imagery is updated as well. I believe summer of 2012. The satellite imagery is also in this time frame at least for east Edmonton.

^ Looks like early summer. My Lilac tree is in full bloom and there's a pile of wood on my lawn from a stump I ripped out

I'd say mid to late april by my house due to the state of the garden and plants in bloom

Has anyone noticed how some cities in google maps searches show the city boundaries outlined by a dashed white line, while other cities it does not? (for example: calgary, st. albert, or spruce grove show the city boundaries, where as edmonton or fort saskatchewan do not).
    Also until recently they would show "neighborhood" boundaries in Edmonton, if you searched oliver, mckernan or any other city division, it would show them with the white dashed line boundary, but not anymore.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this or knows why it is no longer there

I looked around and found that my car is on Google in 4 places
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

were you chasing the image car
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

^ I tried that. I think they did two passes though, because my truck is parked in the driveway and I'm not in the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    were you chasing the image car
    Nope, just random chance. Going in the opposite direction or parked
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I can find my car park at different spots in my parking lot at work depending on view and direction of travel

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    Has anyone noticed how some cities in google maps searches show the city boundaries outlined by a dashed white line, while other cities it does not? (for example: calgary, st. albert, or spruce grove show the city boundaries, where as edmonton or fort saskatchewan do not).
    Also until recently they would show "neighborhood" boundaries in Edmonton, if you searched oliver, mckernan or any other city division, it would show them with the white dashed line boundary, but not anymore.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this or knows why it is no longer there
    it does that if you search for a city. Search for calgary and you will see it.

Should we let people know that 101 Street downtown is folding in on itself or just let them deal with it?

http://goo.gl/maps/DxY32

Edmonton Google treasure map:

Always a pleasure to see the tall ships plowing the roaring waves of West Edmonton.

Ye olde city hall at the turn of the century:

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^^
    it's probably meant to represent the pirate ship at wem, not a tall ship... perhaps that's where the treasure is?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    ^^
    it's probably meant to represent the pirate ship at wem, not a tall ship... perhaps that's where the treasure is?
    I know. It's good that Edmonton rated 2 icons to show, WEM and city hall. The other cities in Canada either had one (Toronto, Montreal) or none (Vancouver, Calgary). Seattle had 5 shown and places in California had a lot. I looked to see what a treasure looked like. Google gives Treasure Island in San Francisco as one, with a trail and "X" marking the spot.

It's part of Google's April Fool's Day features. Last year it was an option to view Google Maps in 64 bit graphics.

Not sure when it happened but Edmonton is now completely rendered in 3D in Google Earth. Very cool.

Administrator *

Edmonton skyline, as seen from the new web-browser version of Google Maps (in beta), probably similar to Google Earth's 3D view:

edmonton-googlemaps by chrisvazquez, on Flickr

And, for those of you not a part of the beta, this is what Edmonton looks like currently, in the new Google Maps:

edmonton-googlemaps2 by chrisvazquez, on Flickr

I don't like the new maps. Arterial roads don't stand out enough anymore.

Administrator *

^ I totally agree. I've already given the Google team feedback telling them they should reinstate the yellow roads. However, I do like the lighter orange for expressways and major highways and dark orange for freeways.

The google maps satellite imagery has been updated (the zoomed out portions, not zoomed in)

Though sadly the update is older (albeit, clearer) imagery.

The imagery used on Google Maps is from August 4th, 2011. However, if you go to Google Earth and use the time slider, it also has imagery from August 30th, 2012 and February 9th, 2013.

As many of you have probably already noticed, the beta version is already up now on Google Maps' website. In other words, no need to request an invite.

While the arterial roads don't stand out as well as they used to, this is a minor inconvenience for me. Besides, I like it better than the old version - the local streets stand out better on my PC's LCD monitor for the most part (some still don't). The old version was so bad that many local streets were sometimes almost invisible no matter how much I tried to adjust my monitor for better contrast!
    Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

Satellite imagery has had a nice update.

Most of the updates are only seen at 200 ft or higher. In these ones, NW Henday has been completed, while the Heartland Transmission line, Jasper Ave streetscaping, Ultima and Fox are under way, while NW LRT is further along, while First & Jasper is completed.

The Street View van still hasn't made it to Fort Mac yet.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 22-01-2014 at 11:00 PM.

Administrator *

^ They've been to Fort Mac (car has been spotted), but the images aren't live yet.

Google Maps has made their new update permanent. I see that they got rid of the full screen option, the 3D option, the map guide when using Street View is now a small window, there are "photo sphere" images of one-off use of the 360° camera. Unfortunately, the photo sphere, photos and nearby Street View thumbnails are grouped together at the bottom of the page, so there's no way of knowing if there are photos unless you bring up the image bar and scroll through. There is a terrain view available in the map view. The satellite view is now called the earth view, with the previous angled earth view gone.

The url is now upated in the address bar rather than in the side copy and paste area. There are no preset arrows to move along in Street View as the arrow follows the cursor, unless there's a object where the rectangular box appears. No cursor zoom, only mouse wheel and the +/- buttons to zoom in and out. No zooming out of Street View anymore or an "x". It's a left arrow to the upper left in a box showing "Street View" and your location. Direction arrow is a compass with red for north and white for south.

The angled N/S/E/W views have been replaced with 3D mock ups of buildings, trees, fences, poles, pretty much anything with some height, which move as you pan along. This is only in areas that had air photos done in all 4 directions. Anywhere else is still 2D.

If you pull the Pegman out and allow the Street View lines to show, you can release the Pegman and have the lines still show. Unfortunately, all photos that used to highlight as well won't anymore. I'm not sure if they'll fix that or that ability will be gone for good.

I just found that you can go back to the old Google Maps by clicking to the "?" button at the lower right and choosing "Return to Classic Google Maps". Unfortunately, the photos are still gone.

Had a discussion on the Google Maps forum and found that the photo option was turned off in Classic maps in the upper right options tab. Not sure if that option was there before as I had just assumed the photos were part of the basic map structure.

Administrator *

Does anybody know approx. how old the satellite imagery is in Fort Saskatchewan and Leduc? Both have very old imagery. Fort Sask. especially... Half the town is missing!

Google Earth has the Fort Saskatchewan default imagery as April 21st, 2005, which is what Google Maps is showing. GE does have later images up to August 27th, 2013.

Leduc is May 10th, 2007 but GE has imagery as recent as of yesterday (March 25th, 2014), if you can believe it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast