Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Google Imagery

Administrator *

Oh wow okay. I really need to download Google Earth. (It sucks they don't give you the option to change the satellite imagery in Google Maps).

I'd rather C2E than work!

Google maps for Fort Saskatchewan does have a 2014 copyright date, however it must be from about 5 years (or more) ago. For example the Tim Horton's by Highway 21 isn't on the imagery, the imagery also shows them working on the parking lot for the Super 8.
    Last edited by sundance; 27-03-2014 at 11:41 PM.

C2E Continued Contributor

Leduc on Google Earth is Nov 19, 2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^Yeah, I see it now. Not sure why the timeline had this year as the latest photos. Clicking to the left sends it to 2012 but clicking to the right keeps it in 2012. Here's what the latest date shows when I open the timeline:

Google Earth (not maps) has been updated again.

Most of the city, Leduc, Beaumont Sept 24, 2013
    Fort Sask, Morinville, North St Albert Oct 8, 2013

Fort McMurray is now on streetview.

Administrator *

OMG! This is probably about the happiest day of my life!

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    Fort McMurray is now on streetview.
    About time! Up until recently, the Street View vehicle only made it halfway up Hwy 63.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Administrator *

Most streets off Confederation Way weren't done, and neither was any of Abasand Heights... But it's still wwwaaayyyy better than nothing

If you have Google Earth, the satellite imagery was updated this summer. You have to use the historical imagery tool and move it forward.

Streetview is updated to September/October 2014!
    Last edited by TheGreatestX; 21-01-2015 at 11:10 PM.

Hmm last week when I was using satellite view on Google Maps, there was a cool transition where the Baccarat parking lot turned into the arena construction site after a certain elevation. For whatever reason that seems to be gone, and it is now the Baccarat parking lot only, even though street view is still updated.

^ different browsers by chance? Google Chrome displays different map details/times than say firefox or IE

No, I would have been using Chrome last week same as now. Just for fun, I tried it on IE and it is showing the same thing, no construction in the imagery just a parking lot.
    Anyone think of any reason why they would roll back the clock like that?

My google earth shows Edmonton in fall of 2014 BUT YOU MUST unchek the 3 D buildings option.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 29-01-2015 at 01:28 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Too cool.

Google Maps now lets you turn any location into a game of Pac-Man
    Just in time for April Fools' Day
    By Andrew Webster on March 31, 2015

Your neighborhood just got a lot more interesting. Google has released a new feature for Maps that lets you turn any location into a game of Pac-Man — all you have to do is click the new Pac-Man button that resides in the lower left corner of the screen. When you do, whatever section of the world you're looking at will transform into the pixelated arcade classic, complete with four colorful ghosts and the iconic music. While developers have created similar hacks before, this version of Google Maps Pac-Man comes directly from Google, and even supports mobile devices. This isn't the first time Google has mixed video games and Maps in time for April Fools' Day, as last year the company let you catch Pokemon using its mapping tool. As for Pac-Man, you can play it right now — and be sure to check the support page for tips on the best places to play.
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/31/83...e-maps-pac-man

https://support.google.com/maps/answ...27?hl=en#hints

Administrator *

Most of the city appears to have April imagery up in Google Earth now, including downtown with the arena and Stantec pit.

Google Street Views have been updated with June/July 2015.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I really wish Google would send their satellite over and snap some more pics. The current satellite imagery of downtwon is over 2 years old. Rogers Place, COE and RAM are still pits.

Google gets their satellite data from other companies - it doesn't have a satellite. It is a walk back in time to zoom in sometimes. You can also see into the holes for the thrust blocks of the Walterdale bridge.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

^ Meh who cares, I just want it updated!

Don't know when it was last updated, but it shows my neighbour's new paving in his backyard. He only put it in last summer.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Yeah it seems there are just bits and pieces of updates here and there instead of wholesale updates. For instance, you can now see the WATL power transmission line plus its Genesee converter station which was just completed last year - just started appearing on Google Maps about a month ago.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

If you turn off the 3D option it has newer images, less than a year or so old. The Metro Line is running, Rogers Place has a roof and the Walterdale Arch prep looks nearly complete

Does anyone know of an article that might explain the processes Google is using?

My guess is that they might update high frequency viewed areas more often than rarely viewed areas. So I sometimes click and zoom in on one property I have hoping that they might eventually see fit to providing a higher resolution view of it. I may just have to look for an alternate source for high res aerial shots.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Does anyone know of an article that might explain the processes Google is using?
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/27/12...-8-photography
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by realkevbo View Post
    If you turn off the 3D option it has newer images, less than a year or so old. The Metro Line is running, Rogers Place has a roof and the Walterdale Arch prep looks nearly complete
    Awesome, thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I really wish Google would send their satellite over and snap some more pics. The current satellite imagery of downtwon is over 2 years old. Rogers Place, COE and RAM are still pits.
    Just download Google Earth.

C2E Posting Power

[QUOTE=TheGreatestX;785527]

[/QUOT

But when you zoom in as close as possible....the arena site shown is 3 months into the contruction only....

[QUOTE=maclac;785530]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post

[/QUOT

But when you zoom in as close as possible....the arena site shown is 3 months into the contruction only....
    You just have to change the date.

Have been waiting for an update for awhile now....next update will be sweet

You just click on that thingamajiggy and slide that dumahickee to the right and presto it's updated! Glad I know how but it's hard to explain.

^ Come on, Drum. You can do it.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Administrator *

Look for a button with a clock on it with a green arrow going counter-clockwise. That will bring up historical imagery. There will be a slider that will allow you to change the date. It goes to the most recent imagery by default. The most recent images are mostly from April/May this year, which is kind of surprising. Some areas of the city, especially the SW seem to have imagery nearly every week for the last few years, so they must be lagging behind updating it.

If you have the Google Earth app, you can go back to 1984 (when zoomed out) and up to Oct 2016 when zoomed in now.

Streetview already has NE leg of the Henday up!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Looks like Google has finally updated its Edmonton satellite imagery to last summer:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.56072...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

looks nice. my building is there now woohoo (fox2)

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Too bad Streetview isn't updated, too!

Maybe that will be this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
    Too bad Streetview isn't updated, too!

Maybe that will be this summer.
    Most major routes in the city, and a lot of neighbourhoods, were updated between June and September of 2017. Not everywhere, though. My neighbourhood is still 2014 imagery. A completely non-scientific guess, based on checking out random places, I'd say 60-70% of the city is 2017 streetview imagery.

Looks like late summer - my re-roofing project looks finished.

Unfortunately the historical imagery is no longer available in full resolution (at least not that I can find), so I can't do a proper before and after. Guess I should have saved a screenshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    Looks like late summer - my re-roofing project looks finished.

Unfortunately the historical imagery is no longer available in full resolution (at least not that I can find), so I can't do a proper before and after. Guess I should have saved a screenshot.
    Historical satellite imagery is still in Google Earth I believe.

^ Yes, I found that, but all of the non-current imagery is much poorer quality. There is one from 2015 that isn't too bad, but it is not the same as the old default image.

Google Maps has been updated for most of Alberta as of June/July 2018
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 07-10-2018 at 12:36 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12