Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Corner 1 Towers - ~30 - 95st 102ave (Under Construction)

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Corner 1 Towers - ~30 - 95st 102ave (Under Construction)

BCM Developments

(http://i.imgur.com/mjJpe.jpg)
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Continued Contributor

I quite like the design. Seems quite different than what we have now for residential towers.

What is the status of this project? Proposed? Approved? I haven't heard of it before..

Partially Addicted to C2E

I know I don't normally go out and say it, but it appears that these towers would be full of mainly punched windows.

With all the talk of imminent window wall failures, punched isn't necessarily a bad thing.

^ The prices look pretty good too... starting low 200's
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by Mla View Post
    What is the status of this project? Proposed? Approved? I haven't heard of it before..
    Proposed for a while now... but it sounds as if BCM wants to start actively marketing it and moving it forward.
    www.decl.org

Given their track record with problem free construction (Monacos, Savoy, Uptown, Imperial, etc.), I would be leery.

On which of the five corners is this proposed? I thought there was a similar plan on the northeast corner a couple years back.

C2E SME

What are BCM's successfully and recently built projects here in town?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E SME

These will be great once the SE LRT is built.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    What are BCM's successfully and recently built projects here in town?
    The MAXX and ZEN

http://bcmdevelopments.com/
    www.decl.org

"successful" wouldn't be the word I would use. How long did those places take to go up, and how much litigation? Anything BCM touches seems to have a brush with disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    With all the talk of imminent window wall failures, punched isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    I think punched windows can be fine and attractive IF they are surrounded by high quality materials (i.e. stone / brick veneer, not stucco). Edmonton used to sometimes build this way if you look at a lot of the condos that pre-date the 90's.

And the windows are BIG... not little portholes.

as for failing windows.. Punched windows fail too and the argon gas in them escapes just as fast as curtain wall....
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

^I doubt that curtain wall would be considered here. Window wall, the other likely candidate, seems to be failing quite a bit quicker than standard punched windows, as per this recent series: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...ed-condos.html

The C in BCM is Claudio Raimondi. He is involved in a company called Fortis LGS. http://fortis-lgs.com/index.htm They produced those prefab panels that were typical of Imperial, Zen, and Maxx. I'm sure they will be used in this project if it goes through.

Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    ^I doubt that curtain wall would be considered here. Window wall, the other likely candidate, seems to be failing quite a bit quicker than standard punched windows, as per this recent series: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...ed-condos.html
    Nope The argon gas insulation escapes punched windows at about the same rate.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Proposed for a while now... but it sounds as if BCM wants to start actively marketing it and moving it forward.
    BCM is receiving $2 million from the City and $4 million from the province toward capital costs. Construction was supposed to have started by the end of 2011.

More details including a site map and renderings here: http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/c...2030809947.PDF

I am liking some of the elements of this project.
    www.decl.org

Like the studios and the 3 bedrooms?!

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Nope The argon gas insulation escapes punched windows at about the same rate.
    I am guessing it is a lot cheaper to replace though, i.e. the order of cheapness being:

1. punched window (not much different from changing in single family house I expect)
    2. curtain wall
    3. window wall

Great to see. Hope it moves forward
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    I know I don't normally go out and say it, but it appears that these towers would be full of mainly punched windows.

Punched windows or not, this is exactly the kind of step forward needed to push downtown east of 95st.

Personally, I'd wait for full size renderings before making final judgement. Icon let us down a little bit on the final appearance imoh.

Still a good thing no matter how you slice it.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Wow, $70.5 million for the entire project, would be a huge step for the Quarters.

C2E SME

The City of Edmonton document mentions a Tower 2 (Page 2):

"It will also be a significant catalyst for further investment in the Quarters, most notably Five Corners Tower 2 which is immediately opposite the site."

With the Boyle Renaissance under construction, the Corners Tower 1 ready to go, and and the Hilton expected to be built this year, 2012 will definitely be a turning point for the Quarters.

I'd rather C2E than work!

95 st and 102 ave so which exact spot where the towers will be built ??
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

I'm glad to see that a number of the projects in the Quarters are starting to move forward at such a quick pace.

As for this one, the developers definitely want to put shovels in the ground this year.

C2E SME

^^I believe it will be the NE corner, according to the City of Edmonton document.

Wow, that's right next to E4C. It will be interesting how the politics play out between all of the inner city agencies in the area and developers...

After about the fourth or fifth floor, the south facing suites will have killer views; not too likely that a tower will be built south of this one (ones maybe) anytime soon.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Addicted to C2E

Decent looking towers. Glad to see 3-BR condos are finally being built. whoever chose to build in the Quarters deserves a big thank-you from all of us.
    Zen and MAXX are a couple of blks from my home, and they don't look too bad (colours are a bit garish though, but I'm just being picky).

Quote Originally Posted by ccw219 View Post
    Wow, that's right next to E4C. It will be interesting how the politics play out between all of the inner city agencies in the area and developers...

I am not aware of any such politics. Many inner city agencies including E4C are themselves affordable housing developers. BCM has received $6 million in public funding to build 60 affordable units in Tower 1 for low and medium income Edmontonians.

Now get VPI going with their mid-rise along with the Hilton and all of a sudden things look very different around there.
    www.decl.org

First One is Always Free

I had always hoped that that 5-way intersection (Jasper Ave, 102 Ave and 95 st) would be made into a traffic circle. But with these towers going up my days of waiting at lights will continue.

A traffic circle there would have been a nightmare.
    www.decl.org

The only two traffic circles that actually work in this city IMO would be the two on 142 Street. The intersection at this intersection is two small to support a 2 lane traffic circle.

First One is Always Free

Room would have to been made for it by removing several of the empty lots on those corners. After that mechanic shop burnt down the only business remaining is that run down noodle house on the SE corner. I think a traffic circle could be made to work at this location, but the contruction of these corner 1 towers means not enough land would be undeveloped.

You left out the Bonnie Doon traffic circle, best in the city IMO.

Speaking of which...anyone know of any plans of the old mechanic shop site (Auto Spring Works) in the NW corner of Jasper Ave/95 St?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ I believe that's the site for the proposed second tower
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

^I was under the impression that the 2nd tower would be on the lot to the SW where BCM had proposed a 6 storey about 7 years ago.
    www.decl.org

oh... I suppose that would make more sense.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    BCM is receiving $2 million from the City and $4 million from the province toward capital costs. Construction was supposed to have started by the end of 2011.

More details including a site map and renderings here: http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/c...2030809947.PDF

I did try to open this link above and it says page cannot be found ?

In Guantanamo (Banned)

So now I count, I think, three rumored/proposed/mulled highrise projects in Boyle and along 97 street. I wonder if there is a kind of upper bound on speculation beyond which something, at any rate, must get built.

I say this because a couple of nights ago I had a very clear and memorable dream, something that rarely happens to me, in which I saw active in-progress construction in several Edmonton sites, including Boyle. Full color, and obvious breeeze. Seriously, it was strange enough to leave me wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post

I did try to open this link above and it says page cannot be found ?
    Ditto, and would very much like to read it!
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

^ Not sure why the link stopped working. Try this link instead: http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/c...2100036278.PDF

^ Not sure why the link stopped working. Try this link instead: http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/c...2100036278.PDF

hey , finally I did see the link and it works fine

I am generally not the kind of person who says anything negative about a project or a developer however...

A question was asked about what project has BCM done that was successful or recent. Although this project has a certain appeal to it, I wouldn't touch anything they have done or would do. I have toured a few of their buildings and although I find the concepts interesting in certain ways, I know far too much about these buildings and the quality of construction to ever make an investment in them.

That being said, I applaud them for their tenacity as well as sticking their necks out to break ground (literally and figuratively) in some areas that for now are a little sketchy.

My two cents.
    Not one of the miserable ones on here... no really.

Default Corners Tower One and Two

From the EDC presentation on March 6.

Tower 1 is the southwest corner of Jasper and 95 Street. Tower 2 (slightly taller iirc) is the northeast corner. Not nearly as narrow a structure as some renderings would seem to present.

This did not seem to present well. Perhaps it was the quality of the renderings. I dunno.

The good:
    - remarkable articulation;
    - mix of suite sizes;
    - live/work suites in the podium;
    - intention to use exterior led lighting.

The not so good, really:
    - a whole lotta not windows.

I suspect the EDC had some difficulty evaluating. I wouldn't be surprised to see some form of request for a more articulate presentation. Oy, vey.

^

Hopefully they can re-work things into a killer design!! The original renderings had promise for sure.. I would really like to see the podiums closer and see how retail/street interaction works out.

Best of all, these will inject a large and diverse group of new residents downtown. Cmonnnn Quarters!
    edmonton - madrid - edmonton
    @BrettSMcKenna

Corner 1 render shot:
    http://campl.us/h33P
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

That is a pretty crappy rendering in terms of hardly any detail. I can't believe they brought that to EDC.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Addicted to C2E

^ Seriously.....you can't believe it..........I'm surprised it's as detailed as it was. I wouldn't expect anything much for this development at all.

Interesting quote from the Journal article:

The $80-million tower will be the first in Edmonton to have live-work units. People will own a home on the second floor, connected by stairs to a small retail space below

I doubt those are the first. I think there's some units like that on the east side of 112 st, north of Jasper.

More promising than I would have guessed.
    www.decl.org

Not bad looking at all! I really like the work/live space idea as well.
    edmonton - madrid - edmonton
    @BrettSMcKenna

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I doubt those are the first. I think there's some units like that on the east side of 112 st, north of Jasper.

There are some across from Stantec and I believe there some in Rail Town as well.

When I had my own firm I thought of doing a condo/office facility, then I realised the cost even after taxes.

Now that I no longer am self-employed I can afford to buy a similar place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    That's a better render
    Don't feed the trolls!

So to be clear, despite the labelling in the Journal, this is looking east down 102 ave; the Chinese seniors home is being shown as a translucent form, and none of the buildings on the south side of the street are shown, so that Corner 1 can be clearly seen. Amirite?

Addicted to C2E

According to what was presented at EDC nothing like the above picture......hence I don't use the term render.

I wonder if the Journal blogger is getting her buildings mixed up here?

No, this is the same building(s).

The pic from Elise's blog entry shows a W-E perspective of the two towers while the other pic that she posted on her Twitter is a S-N perspective of Tower 1, so that may be the reason for the discrepency.

That being said, if that is the view that we will be treated of Tower 1 looking north from the south (and of Tower 2 looking south from the north) then please go back to the drawing board and fix it. This is supposed to be a signature area of the Quarters.
    Don't feed the trolls!

I wonder if the Journal blogger is getting her buildings mixed up here?
    If a reporter from the Journal can mix up the words 'then' and 'than' I'm sure she will have no problem mixing up photos and descriptions.

"Hamilton said the irregular form of the building is intended to give almost every unit a corner view, and Raimondi said there’s much more brick then stucco. They are also looking at running a strip of LED lighting all the way up the towers to mark their presence in the night skyline."

C2E SME

I just came accross this in the Edmonton Journal

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...774/story.html

C2E SME

The Quarters is looking quite promising. One consideration, if the clock is ticking on the Community Revitalization Levy, I'm sure that the SE LRT should be a priority.

Not surprising that a motion of non-support carried from the Tuesday, March 6 EDC meeting.

· Reconsider the tower forms in relation to each other and allow the towers to engage each other architecturally to form a gateway to the downtown;
    · The current massing of the towers is over articulated;
    · The Committee recommends reducing the floor plate to meet the average floor plate of 750 square meters to create a more slender massing;
    · Revise the proposed color palette to introduce more contemporary vibrant colors that will help engage with our winter city environment;
    · Provide high quality and durable materials at the podium level as described on page 16 of your presentation booklet.
    Too articulated? I thought that was a good point. But I like the recommendation for a more thin design and that a resubmission must be more detailed.

^Back to EDC on May 15th.

Agree on the colours comment; I don't want to see 30 stories of dark chocolate brown.
    Last edited by Dialog; 04-05-2012 at 03:52 PM.

BCM Developments

sweeeeeet!!! unless i overlooked it above, how many meters high are they?
    Last edited by OilTastic/BigCityDude; 05-05-2012 at 04:43 PM.
    Thank You For Finally Going Higher!

Quote Originally Posted by OilTastic/BigCityDude View Post
    BCM Developments

sweeeeeet!!! unless i overlooked it above, how many meters high are they?
    Those are old renders. Look further down for the newer ones.
    Don't feed the trolls!

actually, i like the old ones better!

Quote Originally Posted by OilTastic/BigCityDude View Post
    actually, i like the old ones better!
    same goes for me too.

March 6

C.8. Corners Tower One and Two
    GHM Architects – David Hamilton
    Located at 94 Street and Jasper Avenue, The Quarters
    Note: The site is large and has an extensive legal description, hence
    the specific municipal address and legal description is not specified.

P. Odinga read the comments of the Development Planner.

MOVED: A. Pantelimon

Motion of support with conditions
    Administrative walk-on required

• Revise the proposed color palette to introduce more contemporary vibrant colors that
    will help engage with our winter city environment;
    • Provide high quality and durable materials at the podium level as described on page
    16 of your presentation booklet;
    • Provide a context plan that details the towers relationship to the Five Corners plan;
    • Provide fully dimensioned and labelled site and floor plans showing all Setbacks,
    tower Step backs and entrances;
    • Provide a detailed landscape plan, including all adjacent City of Edmonton
    improvements;
    • Provide a detailed podium rooftop landscape plan;
    • Provide a comprehensive detailed signage plan and detail the relationship to the
    exterior canopies;
    • Provide a detailed lighting plan including podium lighting, tower lighting and rooftop
    amenity lighting;
    • Provide sustainability targets and confirmation that the project will engage a third
    party review for compliance;
    • Provide a public art plan.

SECONDED: R. Lederer

LOST
    FOR THE MOTION: R. Lederer, C. McRae, A. Pantelimon
    AGAINST: P. Osborne, C. Domanski, K. Kerr, L. Tomlinson

MOVED: K. Kerr

Motion of non-support

• Reconsider the tower forms in relation to each other and allow the towers to engage
    each other architecturally to form a gateway to the downtown;
    • The current massing of the towers is over articulated;
    • The Committee recommends reducing the floor plate to meet the average floor plate
    of 750 square meters to create a more slender massing;
    Revise the proposed color palette to introduce more contemporary vibrant colors that
    will help engage with our winter city environment;
    • Provide high quality and durable materials at the podium level as described on page
    16 of your presentation booklet.

As an Eastern gateway to the Downtown, the five corners site needs to set a precedent for high
    quality urban design, and pedestrian oriented development within the Quarters. The current detail
    provided within the package does not show adequate design resolution to be confident that a high
    quality design will be achieved. More careful consideration needs to be taken in to the integration of
    the surrounding context into the design.

The following information is required as part of your resubmission:
    • Provide a context plan that details the towers relationship to the Five Corners plan;
    • Provide fully dimensioned and labelled site and floor plans showing all Setbacks,
    tower Step backs and entrances;
    • Provide a detailed landscape plan, including all adjacent City of Edmonton
    improvements;
    • Provide a detailed podium rooftop landscape plan;
    • Provide a comprehensive detailed signage plan and detail the relationship to the
    exterior canopies;
    • Provide a detailed lighting plan including podium lighting, tower lighting and rooftop
    amenity lighting;
    • Provide sustainability targets and confirmation that the project will engage a third
    party review for compliance;
    • Provide a public art plan.

The Committee will not accept a resubmission that is not coordinated and complete.

SECONDED: L. Woodland

CARRIED
    FOR THE MOTION: P. Osborne, R. Lederer, C. Domanski, K. Kerr, C. McRae, L. Woodland
    AGAINST: A. Pantelimon
    www.decl.org

interesting Ian, thanx.

So two weeks ago I heard a rumor that the NE lot of the Five Corners—the one that has the old iHuman building on it—would begin excavation the next week. I thought about posting it but decided against.

What did I see today but the lot fenced off and a backhoe onsite. Something's happening.

C2E SME

hmmmmmm, sounds interesting. I'll have to see this myself. Well that would be nice to see that property move forward.

Hmmm so phase 1 of this, phase 1 of Fox, and Ultima all either under construction or about to be. It just keeps getting better.
    Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I was past that area Today. that one lot is fenced off and a backhoe is parked inside. 94st and Jasper

^ 95th and Jasper

The building that was there has now been demolished as of this morning

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

oooo sounds like something is happening Does anyone know if they plan on starting soon?? this nd the hotel and edgewater will really shock some life back into the east-end

C2E SME

It appears that this whole area is about to boom, which I have to say is about time. This could also very much impact the speed of LRT construction for this area as there will be much much more reason for the Quarters station with lots more people coming and going from this area.

So I can confirm that Corner 1 tower (left in image) is officially underway and not just site prep.

(http://postmediaedmonton.files.wordp...pg?w=300&h=268)

Also... there are plans for another mid-rise on 96st/103ave.

http://www.artistsurbanvillageedmontonab.com/
    Last edited by IanO; 17-01-2013 at 04:48 PM.
    www.decl.org

huzzah!

Addicted to C2E

Exciting! The crane fest ensues!

Are they going condo or rental on Corner 1?

Condo I think.
    www.decl.org

Can someone dig up the DC2 (if this is?) to see if there are any better renderings?

Quote Originally Posted by Keats82 View Post
    Exciting! The crane fest ensues!
    Cranes currently/about to be in the skyline in central Edmonton (not including just downtown):

1) Glenora Skyline
    2) The Pearl
    3) CWB Main Branch
    4) Our Parent's House
    5) The Fox
    6) Ultima
    7) Quarters Hotel
    8] Corner 1 Tower
    9) The Edgewater
    10) U of A Innovation Centre for Engineering
    11) Kelly-Ramsay Redevelopment (hopefully by the Fall)
    Don't feed the trolls!

^not to mention the Chinese senior's project, MacEwan, Dub's 107st project and the potential arena district.
    www.decl.org

^^ nLRT tunnel behind casino

Addicted to C2E

Possible movement on Encore too!

EDMONTON RENAISSANCE!!!

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

^^^^And the RAM, Edgewater, and Mayfair 2
    We would share and listen and support and welcome, be propelled by passion not invest in outcomes. We would breathe and be charmed and amused by difference. -Alanis Morissette

Good site prep...
    www.decl.org

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

I wonder how deep they plan on digging

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast