Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: HAT @ Five Corners | 24 Storeys | 95st 102ave (Under Construction)

C2E Long Term Contributor

Gotta think 4 or 5 levels.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

is that where corner 1 tower is going to built in that corner ?

http://goo.gl/maps/EnIqA
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

not sure what corner you are referring to but yes it will be on a corner

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    not sure what corner you are referring to but yes it will be on a corner

I just referring to that corner where the land is empty with the tree.

It is very interesting the changing mentality of all these developers; between 2000-2008, certain presale quotas had to be met prior to commencement of construction. Now, they're just developing- exception with Ultima. I have not been in the city since early September of last year- bypassed for 1-2 days here and there... Am I out of the loop on something lol? Great to see all these projects up and running though.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Likely cause even during the downturn, they could have been selling units had there been anything to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    is that where corner 1 tower is going to built in that corner ?

http://goo.gl/maps/EnIqA
    NEC or 95st and Jasper/102ave.
    www.decl.org

do they have any more recent or atleasst more detailed renderings? there must be considering it is under construction

What do you think will sell better Corner towers, edge water, or fox?

Apples, oranges or dragon fruit
    www.decl.org

Fox - its in the core and that arena is going to get built. Nothing can beat a core location - for today's living, long term living and resale.

^ not for everyone... in fact most people, don't want to live in "the core"

Ian's little quip is sort-of correct (but once again, the douche factor was not necessary to get the point across) but mainly because the Quarters and east Boyle St are so much less developed. That area where Fox is, not too long ago, was a pretty terrible area of downtown.

If the Edgewater area becomes the successful TOD that I think a lot of people hope it will be, it could be a very attractive option for people looking for apartment condo living. It's just not there quite yet. Quarters has even bigger hurdles to jump... but it'll get there, eventually.
    Last edited by 240GLT; 21-03-2013 at 02:33 PM.
    Parkdale

Since I havent seen a real rendering of this project Im still optimistic that it will be really nice, I think it will all come down to quality

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Since I havent seen a real rendering of this project Im still optimistic that it will be really nice, I think it will all come down to quality
    The latest rendering, it just isn't that detailed:

Don't feed the trolls!

C2E Continued Contributor

nothing has happened on this land in two weeks. not sure why...

I've heard that they have encountered more contaminated soil than originally anticipated.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Plus a DP hasn't been approved yet...

They only got an excavation permit to go down 1.5M as far as I remember.

They way they dug it out, it's obvious that it was exploratory to me.
    Parkdale

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    I've heard that they have encountered more contaminated soil than originally anticipated.
    What used to be on the site? It would be nice to see more development there, but if they are seeking to remediate the land via litigation prior to development it could be a very long time (i.e. might not happen).

The city owned the land previously. I don't think you'll see any litigation
    Parkdale

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    The city owned the land previously. I don't think you'll see any litigation
    Because the city owned it? You can sue the city.

If I recall correctly, that was a gas station at one point...

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    If I recall correctly, that was a gas station at one point...
    Ouch. That's not a good sign. We've seen what that can be like. That said, if you are just going to tear all the dirt out anyways, maybe it isn't as much of a problem as it could be. Then again, maybe the contamination went deeper or to adjoining land.

^^ Disclosure & due dilligence will likely make sure that won't happen
    Parkdale

^^ Disclosure & due dilligence will likely make sure that won't happen
    Well, its supposed to, but if the mere existence of those things prevented lawsuits you would never have law suits over these issues - which is, of course, not the case.

I was responding to the comment that they had found more contamination than was expected. That suggests that maybe there was a failure of those mechanisms to operate as they are supposed to.

^ i agree, but in this case i doubt it.
    Parkdale

Ok, and you might be right. I'm not sure why you'd doubt it if there was a surprise at how much contamination there was...but ok.

I wonder why they didn't check for contamination before they start digging ??

They would have... An ESA phase 1. This looks at the history of the site and what risk there was for contamination. Should there be evidence suggesting a possibility of contamination, they will proceed with a phase 2. This will will include soil sampling and testing.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by TonyWochuk View Post
    Ok, and you might be right. I'm not sure why you'd doubt it if there was a surprise at how much contamination there was...but ok.
    Lots of experience in the construction industry
    Parkdale

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    They would have... An ESA phase 1. This looks at the history of the site and what risk there was for contamination. Should there be evidence suggesting a possibility of contamination, they will proceed with a phase 2. This will will include soil sampling and testing.
    I would have thought that would have been done by the seller prior to the sale.

Lots of experience in the construction industry
    That is kind of vague. Are you a developer? An electrician?

I was a project manager, estimator, engineering technologist and technician working as subtrade on large scale commercial and institutional buildings for around 11 years and have been directly responsible for tens of millions in projects, now i work for one of the largest commercial property managers and developers in Canada. Is that good enough ?
    Parkdale

^^^ what company are you working for ??

I was a project manager, estimator, engineering technologist and technician working as subtrade on large scale commercial and institutional buildings for around 11 years and have been directly responsible for tens of millions in projects, now i work for one of the largest commercial property managers and developers in Canada. Is that good enough ?
    Its a good start.

So when you say due diligence and disclosure should cover them, do you mean that you suspect that the contract is drafted such that when combined with actions taken as part of the sales process , the legal risk for any unknown contamination (or the extent of it) would fall on the buyer?

The Dub Architecture Firm's tower on 107 Street had a similar problem in regards to "contaminated soil" but that project is now moving ahead. Hopefully BCM resolves the issue ASAP so they can continue with their skyscraper.

I would have thought that would have been done by the seller prior to the sale.
    Yes, most buyers would have had one completed prior to removing conditions on the sale. If there is any financing involved the lender will also require one.

The Dub Architecture Firm's tower on 107 Street had a similar problem in regards to "contaminated soil" but that project is now moving ahead. Hopefully BCM resolves the issue ASAP so they can continue with their skyscraper.
    The delay in the 107 Street project had more to do with the poorer soil conditions affecting the structural design of the building than environmental issues.

Its a good start.

So when you say due diligence and disclosure should cover them, do you mean that you suspect that the contract is drafted such that when combined with actions taken as part of the sales process , the legal risk for any unknown contamination (or the extent of it) would fall on the buyer?
    A purchaser takes on the risks of owning a piece of land if they do not do the proper due diligence prior to purchase. However, in cases where a buyer relies on a report(s) disclosed by the vendor and something goes wrong after could result in seeking legal action against the vendor. You would also likely seek legal action against the consultants as well. There are many, many cases where this has happened and continues to happen today.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    A purchaser takes on the risks of owning a piece of land if they do not do the proper due diligence prior to purchase. However, in cases where a buyer relies on a report(s) disclosed by the vendor and something goes wrong after could result in seeking legal action against the vendor.
    That is kind of the scenario I was thinking it could be (i.e. misrepresentation, negligent or otherwise). I should have been more clear.

You would also likely seek legal action against the consultants as well. There are many, many cases where this has happened and continues to happen today.
    Yep.

The city wants this project to move ahead, and the project will be receiving cornerstones funding and the city will own a number of units in the building. Litigation is obviously always possible, but not likely given the players and interests in this site
    Parkdale

The Cornerstones funding is conditional. At the end of the day if BCM decided to cancel or delay the project, the funding disappears. There are plenty of other projects where this money can be diverted to.

a developer who bought the land to built condo towers deserve some sort of compensation because construction were delayed because of it.

^No, they don't. The developer takes the risk and with that comes spending money. If the project doesn't go ahead, then that's the developers issue.

I think they do because they bought the land for nothing, if projects doesn't go ahead.

if I were developer, I do deserve some sort of that because I don't like to be deceived when it comes to buying the land from the previous owner.

Smile

^
    Your assumption that the city ripped them off is based on what? Secondly, if the developer purchased land without any sort of research, then they deserve what they get...

so who owns this land developers bought the land from ??

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    The Cornerstones funding is conditional. At the end of the day if BCM decided to cancel or delay the project, the funding disappears. There are plenty of other projects where this money can be diverted to.
    I imagine though if BCM is serious about the project they are going to want that incentive to move forward, as it may not be viable to proceed without it. The city may also have sold the land at a rate assuming that they would have the option to purhase units under Cornerstones

Having said that, this proposal has been floating around for so long, i would not be suprised if it stalls again, and if that happens it's unlikely to have anything to do with site contamination
    Parkdale

The city wants this project to move ahead, and the project will be receiving cornerstones funding and the city will own a number of units in the building. Litigation is obviously always possible, but not likely given the players and interests in this site
    If they are getting in bed together, fair enough. The city will own the units for social housing I take it?

^correct... they purchased a bunch through cornerstone and will manage them.
    www.decl.org

In addition to the City's Cornerstones funding, BCM also received $4.1 million from the provincial government. The combined funding was for 40 affordable housing units. Environmental and utility challenges have been known from the outset. Details here: http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/c...3012333344.PDF

Work has resumed.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

So I hear.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Was nice to see the trackhoe this morning on my way to work, that area is going to look so much different in a few years.

BCM Developments

(http://i.imgur.com/mjJpe.jpg)
    ^i like these for some reason....so build them NOW NOW NOW!!!
    Thank You For Finally Going Higher!

Administrator *

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieA View Post
    I thought this was the latest iteration?

^^ they are building them now

^They are building 'one' right now (the left one).

Administrator *

photo by kokkeimizu, on Flickr

photo by kokkeimizu, on Flickr

Partially Addicted to C2E

Movement here has been very stop and go. Most days there is nothing happening and no one on site.

Well nothing is approved yet...

If nothing is approved then why even bother start digging?

Footings and Foundations permit is very common.
    www.decl.org

I believe the digging is still mostly for remediation purposes.

What was on that site before this that would warrant remediation?

Gas, dry
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Love the new podium. As mentioned in the Edmontonian thread, they have a lot to prove, but if they do indeed succeed at their visions, I look forward to seeing what BCM can do.

^^ They should fix their Google Map - it's showing Fort Rd and 66 St
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Not just new podium rendering, you can get a glimpse of the newest version of the design in their drop-down menu.
    Don't feed the trolls!

C2E SME

Well I do like what they are showing, now it's a matter of getting things built.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

True. It's time for them to put their money where their mouth is when it comes to Edmontonian, Corners, and the rest of their proposed properties. Fuzion is an encouraging sign though.
    Don't feed the trolls!

www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Podium looks good.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Ok so on the BCM site they talk about ONE tower, not towers. The picture above has me really confused. Also i cant tell if its under construction haha... Kinda pulling a mayfair N

C2E SME

Ok my apologies in not knowing this or maybe just being a ***** tonight but is Tower 1 on the lot that has been in the process of being worked on? The North East corner of the intersection?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Yes, they have dug down about 10 feet down so far on the entire lot.

Ok so on the BCM site they talk about ONE tower, not towers. The picture above has me really confused. Also i cant tell if its under construction haha... Kinda pulling a mayfair N
    Phased development. They'll begin work on the other one after the first one is started. The project is still called Corners on their website. They're only marketing the Tower 1 at this time.
    Don't feed the trolls!

this project seems to have halted. nothing has been done here in weeks.

^It's not approved for development yet.

^ correct. the only permit that has been issued for the site is it excavate to 1.5M.
    Parkdale

Well thats good, that means when it does get final approval they will be starting a month ahead on digging

Default New development

Is this the same development company that build the Zen and the Maxx

Administrator *

Google is your friend.

http://www.bcmdevelopments.com/

Yes, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by gbeas View Post
    Is this the same development company that build the Zen and the Maxx
    Well if BCM is building the same as the Zen/Maxx they started took you money and did not have a permit and the Zen is still not sold and appears to have a lot of problems

I noticed on the website they have show suite hours, has anyone checked that out? Also has said website coming soon for the past few months so Im starting to give up on this project

You probably should given your clearly demonstrated experience with all of this.
    www.decl.org

^did I offend you somehow? Im sorry if I did. And im 19 so I promise I have nooo experience in this field, just extremely enthusiastic about projects like this

^ He's referring to how you said that you 'called' the excavation time on 107 St Block.
    Don't feed the trolls!

You probably should given your clearly demonstrated experience with all of this.
    Oh come on... give it a rest. As if you wouldn't have pointed it out if you had called the excavation time on the 107 Street project. It's not like you have ego or anything...
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Vanity maybe, ego, no.
    www.decl.org

There is an updated rendering for this project, and no I can't post it. It shows a revised podium with more clear glass above the entryway and less masonry as seen in post #173, which I think is good move. The dominant colouring of the rendering is green, with about half the glass being shown as emerald green. I personally hope that's an artistic liberty taken for the rendering, and not the final choice.

Design is a step up from Edgewater, a step below Ultima.
    Last edited by Dialog; 11-09-2013 at 01:01 PM.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

^did I offend you somehow? Im sorry if I did. And im 19 so I promise I have nooo experience in this field, just extremely enthusiastic about projects like this

19? Good on you for participating on this site!

X2

You're my second son's age, so take my advice...You are taken more seriously when you do research first; proccess out pro and cons of your research; then articulate yourself on the forum. Now that i know your exact age, i'll will give you some breathing room. As well' don't be afraid to ask questions if you're uncertain.

Any indication of approval date on this one so far, or does it require further augmentation to meet approval?

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    There is an updated rendering for this project, and no I can't post it. It shows a revised podium with more clear glass above the entryway and less masonry as seen in post #173, which I think is good move. The dominant colouring of the rendering is green, with about half the glass being shown as emerald green. I personally hope that's an artistic liberty taken for the rendering, and not the final choice.

Design is a step up from Edgewater, a step below Ultima.
    Half the glass being emerald green? What is the other colour(s) being used? And how would half the glass be green? top half? bottom half? some weird design? Maybe I will just wait to see what the new rendering looks like as I am having a hard time trying to imagine the glass being different colours.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    X2

You're my second son's age, so take my advice...You are taken more seriously when you do research first; proccess out pro and cons of your research; then articulate yourself on the forum. Now that i know your exact age, i'll will give you some breathing room. As well' don't be afraid to ask questions if you're uncertain.

Any indication of approval date on this one so far, or does it require further augmentation to meet approval?
    Thanks!

I dislike the new podium, they had a really cool art deco style going before

Quote Originally Posted by IdriveaSubaru View Post
    Half the glass being emerald green? What is the other colour(s) being used? And how would half the glass be green? top half? bottom half? some weird design? Maybe I will just wait to see what the new rendering looks like as I am having a hard time trying to imagine the glass being different colours.
    Again, tough to describe because with renderings, there is always a bit of creative leeway—some more than others. An example of this is that behind the tower, faded in the distance are shown several modern buildings that are not in Edmonton or planned for development here :P Other renderings you'll see buildings bathed in the warm glow of the golden hour. It could well be that the artist chose to use green as a shadowing colour, instead of black. I am leaning towards that so don't put too much weight on my observations here.

The glass on all balconies is shown as a bright emerald green. The large stretch of curtainwall rising above the entryway (that presumably faces the 5 corners intersection) is blue... except when in shadow, it takes on a greenish tinge. Of the four stories of podium, 1 and 4 have the glass shown green, but not 2-3.

The building appears to be white and charcoal stucco, which is on one vertical stretch that from this angle doesn't look too overpowering. Curtain wall and punched windows, natch.

Remove the masonry and inset balconies above the entryway, and that is what I am seeing. Ok maybe the punched windows look a tad smaller on mine. And the above rendering is thankfully less green Thx for posting!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast