Thread: Time Lapse Driving

Administrator *

Default Time Lapse Driving

Hey everyone. Just moved to Edmonton from Ontario in November. I love making time lapse driving videos, and during the summer, I will be making lots. So far I've done the Henday, and Whitemud Drive. I thought I would share them with everyone here. Let me know what you think!

How about the YellowHead?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Groat Road and thru the University area?
    Surely , not everyone was Kung Fu fighting.

its so cool it should be the new google street view ............
    perhaps already possible and/or on their books
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

C2E Hard Core Contributor

It would be fun to see one where you're right on the speed limit, to see how many vehicles pass you and at what kind of speeds.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Very cool, I can't wait to see more.

How are you shooting these? I assume a camera mounted in the car, connected to a computer? How often are you shooting a frame?

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    It would be fun to see one where you're right on the speed limit, to see how many vehicles pass you and at what kind of speeds.
    As well as how many have no idea how to merge.
    Surely , not everyone was Kung Fu fighting.

Neat stuff! So, what's the difference between time lapse and running a 'film' at a higher speed? i.e. isn't all filming/recording time lapse - discernible vs not?

Also, for differing contextual information, could you have two cameras or isolate some data and draw a slower speed image (pedestrian, sign etc.) into the full frame view and then accelerate it out?

^ Good point, KC. I didn't realise the OP was going anti-clockwise on AHD till I saw Windermere.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

And isn't it odd that all the gradients, though we really have no significant ones, seem to get flattened out at those speeds..
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Partially Addicted to C2E

Love the song in the AHD vid! Ratatat rocks
    Love the vids too by the way, I am with Barry N and would love to see one down the full length of Groat Road from Campus all the way to 111th avenue!
    edmonton - madrid - edmonton
    @BrettSMcKenna

Very cool. Try Whyte Avenue

Administrator *

Thanks for all the suggestions and kind comments.

For those of you asking how I shoot them: it's not actually a time lapse. It is a video sped up, but it's a lot easier to say it's a time lapse. I have a GoPro Hero which is a camera that is designed for this kind of footage. It is attached to the hood of my car by an industrial-strength suction cup. It can record about 2 hours of 720p video straight, so I dont need to have it connected to a laptop.

As for the suggestions, I will be doing all of those routes in the next year. But I want to wait until the summer for some of them so the foliage is more attractive.

Also I want to try to do the same thing for the LRT line. I'm not sure if I'll be able to convince a driver that I can attach it to the front of the train, but we'll see.

No, I doubt you'd be able to convince a driver, but you may have better luck if you went through some other means. Maybe contact ETS's PR people (if they have PR people), and see if you can work something out with them.

C2E Continued Contributor

Might be kinda cool if you had a mountain bike, and could attach it to your bike some how, and hit some of the trails in the river valley in the summer. Some nice scenery down there.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post

Just watched it for the traffic violations. Because we cannot know the speed of the camera vehicle, we cannot tell who is speeding except those who blow by it.

The obvious infractions were
    • the white jeep at the 0:20 mark making a illegal lane change across the median.
    • the camera vehicle looks like it is going thru a construction zone too fast at 0:22
    • the white pickup blows by everyone at 1:43
    • the white car at 2:35 at full throttle
    • the blue van at the 2:37 mark making a illegal lane change across the median.
    • the SUV going way fast at 2:41
    How many can you spot on the AHD?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Also, did you notice the number of people not working on the road? Disgusting!

Yeah, this wasn't from the previous three years otherwise the time lapse video would have been a half hour longer for the Quesnel Bridge project.

If you don't want a fire, don't strike that match. Give it a rest Gordo.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Thank You ! These are great! Please post more! A jasper or whyte ave cruise would make my day! Throw in some river valley road, or Saskatchewan boulevard...

I borrowed a friend's go pro camera once to try the same...but yours are much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

Just watched it for the traffic violations. Because we cannot know the speed of the camera vehicle, we cannot tell who is speeding except those who blow by it.

The obvious infractions were
    • the white jeep at the 0:20 mark making a illegal lane change across the median.
    • the camera vehicle looks like it is going thru a construction zone too fast at 0:22
    • the white pickup blows by everyone at 1:43
    • the white car at 2:35 at full throttle
    • the blue van at the 2:37 mark making a illegal lane change across the median.
    • the SUV going way fast at 2:41
    How many can you spot on the AHD?
    Good game, PRT. You could turn it into a drinking game by chugging beers and seeing how many fewer infractions you spot as you go on. All in the comfort of your basement. Last one to fall over the 'puter is the winner. Gentlemen, bend your elbows!
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Thanks for all the suggestions and kind comments.

For those of you asking how I shoot them: it's not actually a time lapse. It is a video sped up, but it's a lot easier to say it's a time lapse. I have a GoPro Hero which is a camera that is designed for this kind of footage. It is attached to the hood of my car by an industrial-strength suction cup. It can record about 2 hours of 720p video straight, so I dont need to have it connected to a laptop.

As for the suggestions, I will be doing all of those routes in the next year. But I want to wait until the summer for some of them so the foliage is more attractive.

Also I want to try to do the same thing for the LRT line. I'm not sure if I'll be able to convince a driver that I can attach it to the front of the train, but we'll see.
    Id like to see the yellowhead but you will encounter lights! This issue of lights on the yellowhead has been discussed on here before, but it would still be cool nonetheless to see a time lapse on the YH (hopefully the city and province are working on expediting building overpasses at all the lights on the yellowhead as it is becoming a major inconvenience when driving it)

Saddened to hear the 2 hour limitation, but I would love a downtown Edmonton to Jasper (3.5-4hours) time laspe. Red lights allow for good pause to build the beat... see this Calgary-Banff example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPKYhOZ2QDk

In-vehicle dash cameras work very well and some have infra-red too.

At a lower resolution (640x480 30 FPS) with a 64 gig flash you can record up to 32 hours. Higher resolution (1280x720 30 FPS) 25 hours.

Just make sure you have the volume record turned down/muted; excessive profanities and insults.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Saddened to hear the 2 hour limitation, but I would love a downtown Edmonton to Jasper (3.5-4hours) time laspe. Red lights allow for good pause to build the beat... see this Calgary-Banff example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPKYhOZ2QDk
    You can simply stop recording and restart for another 2 hours. Basically endless recording as long as you have power and more memory cards.

Quote Originally Posted by bing in the city View Post
    Very cool. Try Whyte Avenue

This isn't my video, but someone on a bike did whyte ave the night of game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final vs Carolina in 2006.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO0zHI4biAc

Very cool video of the Henday. Even after watching the first 10 seconds 5 times over I couldn't fugure out you were northbound on Manning Drive until I paused at the overhead signs...

Administrator *

Quote Originally Posted by Bray88 View Post
    How about the YellowHead?
    Shot this last night at dusk

C2E Super Addict

^^^if only we could drive that fast on the Yellowhead for real!!
    Thank You For Finally Going Higher!

anyone count the lights vs stops ?
    ~~~~Fricken lights ~~~~~~~~~

Administrator *

Hey guys! Just uploaded two new time lapse videos! These two are of 111 St and Groat Rd. I'll be uploading more before week's end before I go up north for work again! Enjoy!

Cool vids! And Amon Tobin! Good stuff...
    Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

sorry, looks like it was shot in real time.

anyone up to doing a hwy 63 ?

Addicted to C2E

I notice that he moves left when traffic is trying to merge. While this technique is the correct way to allow merging traffic to enter the roadway safely, it is a technique rarely practiced here.

A true Edmontonian prevents people from merging and forces them off the road.
    BobinEdmonton

Coincidentally, I was going to look up this thread the other day.

Could his photography be used to highlight the freeways in the city giving off the worst first impressions?

Administrator *

Just one more for you guys before I head back up north for 2 months. I'll do some more in July!

Can you figure out the exact route I take in this video?

Dude try doing some 360 degrees shoots. I know Ryan Jackson from Edmonton Journal is big into this 360 stuff and he is very nice and I am sure he will help you to set it up. IT would be awesome.

Obviously coming in from the NE along Wayne Gretzky Drive then towards and across the James Macdonald Bridge into downtown..(part of it LOL)

Here is a suggestion, Towards downtown along Conners Road crossing the James Mcdonald Bridge under the legislature then crossing the High Level south to Whyte then eastbound along Whyte! A big circle route.

Or from Connners Road crossing the James Macdonald Bridge westbound along River Road then up Victoria Hill to Jasper Ave. and back down crossing the Low Level Bridge and up Conners Hill again.

Both of those would be great on a hot summer evening or afternon with the River Valley in full summer glory.

Administrator *

After a bit of a hiatus, I bought a newer GoPro camera, and I have recorded a bunch of roads around Edmonton, and have more planned. Here's the first of the videos. It's of 103A Ave/104 Ave. I think it would be interesting to do a before and after video for this road (the after shot being done in 4 or 5 years).

C2E Continued Contributor

Out of curiosity, what are you driving? My guess is some sort of crossover...but it is kind of hard to tell due to the angle of the video.

Administrator *

Actually it's a subcompact. I pride myself on owning a rather unique car (at least in the Edmonton market). It's a 2012 Toyota Prius c.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...Toyota_Prius_c

Administrator *

Jasper Ave from 124 St to 82 St

^
    Nice! Are you going to post some screen caps of your video to the building pages, or do you mind if I do it later (with suitable credit given to you of course)?

Administrator *

You can definitely do it, I don't mind

Administrator *

97 Street from Valour Ave to Jasper Ave:

Administrator *

Whyte Avenue from 114 St to 75 St:

Administrator *

The Alberta Badlands through Drumheller:

Administrator *

Sherwood Park Freeway. I'm running out of obvious (and interesting) roads. Anybody have any suggestions?

First One is Always Free

Talking

Hello Chris,

I live in Folsom (Sacramento), California and have lurked more than I have posted on this website since about 2006. I have been following Edmonton's vehicle-based transportation infrastructure progress since the 1970s, when I got my first map of Edmonton. I have old maps showing the Whitemud running from Fox Drive over to 149 Street. I am a map collector and a roadgeek. I am familliar with the old METS plans from the 60s and 70s, as well as the planned upgrades for the Yellowhead Trail, Ray Gibbon Drive, Terwilegar Drive/170 Street SW and the Northeast Section of the Henday.

One of these days, I will get up to Edmonton for a road trip. I have been wanting to go to Edmonton since the late 1970s. I just need to get a passport and clear a three-week vacation from my employer. I just get really busy at work, and it is difficult to get away.

Your time-lapse videos are awesome, and I regularly check this site for any new road timelapse videos from you. I like your 3/4- Henday, Yellowhead W-E, freshly-released SHP Freeway, Groat Road, 111 St. and Whitemud videos a lot. You did a great job !!

If I had a choice, here is what I would like to see (as an out-of- towner):

AB 15 via 50 Street to Manning Drive to Fort Saskatchewan at AB 21.
    75 Street north from Whitemud Drive over Wayne Gretzky Drive to Yellowhead Trail to Fort Road.
    Terwillegar Drive (sp.?) from Whitemud Drive, southwest to AHD over to 170 Street SW.
    170 St. from Callingwood north to 137 Avenue NW.
    Edmonton International Airport Access Road west from QEW 2 to the terminals with all the arrival and departure ramps.
    AB 60/AB 19 bypass southwest of Devon.
    Ray Gibbon Drive from AHD north to Villenueve Road in St. Albert.
    AB 21 from Fort Saskatchewan south to AB 14 (all that great recent twinning).
    Whitemud Drive east of 216 to AB 21 (all of that recent new twinning).
    104 ST. N.W. from Saskatchewan Drive via Calgary Trail crossing Whitemud, 23 Street, AHD, Ellerslie Road to Leduc.
    Stony Plain Road west from 149 St to Manly Plain (Jct 16/43) via Route 16-A via the Parkland Highway.
    Argyll Road from Sherwood Park Freeway, south on 91 Street to Ellerslie Road (to see remnants of the never-built Mill Creek Ravine Freeway).

But now I sound like a greedy SOB !!

Anyway, I really enjoy your timelapse road videos. I look forward to whatever you choose to post, and will enjoy everything you have posted here, timelapse-wise, in the past.

Whatver you post, I am sure I will enjoy !! Thanks Chris.

Well, there you go Chris.

Administrator *

Yeah for sure! Those are all some really good suggestions. I recorded a few more roads yesterday. I'll try uploading some soon.

Thank you!

Administrator *

Here's one that's a little different. This follows the route of the SE LRT. Once the line is complete, I plan to film the same path. Show a before and after.

Administrator *

Yellowhead Trail through Edmonton:

First One is Always Free

A very nice timelapse !! It is nice seeing a video of the Yellowhead during the summer months. It is also cool looking at the construction at AHD and points east along the Yellowhead !!

Keep up the great work, Chris.

Great thread. Thanks Chris. And rather neat to see Bob all the way in California taking part.

I'll play: 103 street from Whyte to Sask Drive - right turn and quick hairpin left down Walterdale Hill would be cool, especially once they start putting up the spans for the new bridge.

Oooh, or at night with the HLB all lit up.

Fort Hill through the Leg grounds to 107 street and then a quick left on 99 ave to Capital Boulevard.

Any of the beautifully (tree) canopied side streets in Millcreek.

Scona Road across the Low Level and up McDougall Hill and 100 street to 104 ave (or maybe turn left onto RHW?).

The various segments of Sask. Drive from Groat Road and 87th all the way to 99 street.

Stop_McBoo_Stop
    ... gobsmacked

Administrator *

Thanks for the suggestions. Some of those routes I have already completed. I have so many videos sitting on my laptop waiting to be edited.

If you can do it in the daytime before the leave are all gone, I'd like to request a time lapse drive of the river valley and/or old growth forest neighbourhoods before fall ends. An example I just drove (and don't have a car camera to share with, unfortunately) would be coming down 98th avenue just east of the traffic circle, following 98th avenue to where you turn to River Valley road, and following River Valley road to the end. There's still plenty of leaves on the trees today.

Administrator *

Highway 63 through Fort McMurray:

Administrator *

New video of Gateway Blvd.

Also, I know this isn't a time lapse, but a video driving down Walterdale Hill, over Walterdale Bridge, and up 105 St. Hill.

Administrator *

101 Street through downtown:

Administrator *

Capital Blvd (108 St)... Not a time lapse, but a great video in the beautiful Edmonton summer. I'll have 104 Street up later on as well.

Administrator *

104 Street downtown Edmonton. Up next, Terwillegar Dr time lapse.

Administrator *

Terwillegar Drive! The only other video I have is a new version of Whitemud Drive. That'll be up sometime this year lol

Administrator *

A slower, better quality version of Whitemud Drive, taken in the fall:

Administrator *

Not in Edmonton, but thought you guys might appreciate some videos I've uploaded recently:

Deerfoot in Calgary:

Deh Cho Bridge crossing the MacKenzie River in NWT:

Two videos of Peace River. Highway 2 and Judah Hill + downtown:

Crossing one of the few, if not the only suspension bridge in Alberta across Peace River at Dunvegan:

And finally, 100 Ave through Grande Prairie:

I have more Edmonton videos filmed and I just need to edit them. Can't wait until summer, I'll be filming more. Enjoy!

Great vids. Watched the Judas hill one. Never been to peace country myself but hear a lot about that infamous stretch.

Administrator *

Some new videos.

Franklin Ave in Ft. McMurray:

And 109 Street:

Administrator *

Here's a short one of a pretty important connecting road. 61 Ave/Allendale Rd/63 Ave/Argyll Rd:

Administrator *

AHD Construction in March:

Administrator *

River Valley Rd and 103 Street, taken yesterday:

Administrator *

This might be pushing it for an Edmonton forum, but here's highway 43 from Yellowhead Hwy to Whitecourt.

Administrator *

An update of 103A Ave/104 Ave. Go back to post 38 to see the same road from 2 years ago.

Administrator *

Highway 63 through Ft. Mac after the fire:

Administrator *

Here's my latest Edmonton video. 104 St/Calgary Tr:

Administrator *

Ray Gibbon Drive, 20 minutes to get from the Henday to Villeneuve Rd....

Administrator *

Northeast Anthony Henday Drive!

Administrator *

Baseline Road/101 Ave/98 Ave/97 Ave:

^ My old neighbourhood(more or less). Thanks Chris!

Administrator *

Complete Anthony Henday Drive on opening day: